PDA

View Full Version : How did we let this happen?

CyberCubed
01-08-2016, 02:29 AM
How did we let the TMNT movie license wind up the way it has? It depresses me to think we're going to have at least 3 Bay movies and in a time when Marvel/DC are ramping up their movies we're stuck with...this.

How did we let this happen? We could have done something. We could have saved TMNT.

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 02:31 AM
You're right, it's our fault. Now what?

Yabuturtle
01-08-2016, 03:36 AM
What could we have done?

neatoman
01-08-2016, 04:29 AM
"We" didn't "let" anything happen, this is what happened:

Viacom bought TMNT from Peter Laird
Paramount, part of Viacom, put Michael Bay in charge of producing a TMNT as he had experience with turning nostalgic properties into box office success
The directer emulated Bay's style and the writers copied ideas from other contemporary comic book movies, both in hopes of making a successful movie
The movie came out and was a moderate success at the box office despite negative reviews
Now they're making a sequel that looks to be similar with more fantastical elements added

That's about it, the "alien" debacle was the only time fans were ever involved and it was probably not even going to be part of the movie after some rewrites/focus testing. The point is that Paramount was always going to be more concerned with box office money than reviews, so Platinum Dunes seemed like a good choice as they had never failed to earn money on these types of projects despite their consistantly negative reception.

Cryomancer
01-08-2016, 04:42 AM
How did we let the TMNT movie license wind up the way it has?

The mentality of "well it says TMNT, so I have to buy it".

Meow
01-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Thank you a lot neatoman for a quick and yet detailed run-through like this! Enjoyed reading it big time!

Despite the statement that companies were more concerned about box office success instead of fan opinions I still just don't see how Turtles, that obviously do not look like ones, plus the fact that it's basically a Shrek copy, even go forward in the production process.

Candy Kappa
01-08-2016, 07:09 AM
We let our guards down, and the gods are punishing us. WE ARE TO BLAME!

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 07:24 AM
We are to blame for annoying Peter Laird enough that he sold the franchise to the corporation above Paramount for peanuts.

Also, blame anyone who ever bought a Transformers ticket.

Bry
01-08-2016, 08:15 AM
"We" didn't "let" anything happen, this is what happened:

Viacom bought TMNT from Peter Laird
Paramount, part of Viacom, put Michael Bay in charge of producing a TMNT as he had experience with turning nostalgic properties into box office success
The directer emulated Bay's style and the writers copied ideas from other contemporary comic book movies, both in hopes of making a successful movie
The movie came out and was a moderate success at the box office despite negative reviews
Now they're making a sequel that looks to be similar with more fantastical elements added

The only thing to add to this is that I believe reading that Bay re-signed an exclusive deal with Paramount around the time the movie was being made, so no doubt having another franchise with his production company played a role in that as well. As hated as his movies are, he makes consistent money for Paramount, so tossing him another property was likely a part of keeping him with the company.

That's about it, the "alien" debacle was the only time fans were ever involved and it was probably not even going to be part of the movie after some rewrites/focus testing.

In hindsight, the only thing "we" could have done was clam up entirely when the "Alien Turtles" news hit. Maybe if there wasn't as much controversy about that idea they might have actually made that movie, it would have bombed, and we'd be reading about a planned reboot right now. :trazz:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Is CyberCubed Papenbrook/Purple Kraken? :teek:

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Is CyberCubed Papenbrook/Purple Kraken? :teek:

No way. PK is hyper sensitive, cubed has no soul. PK is "open minded" and "progressive", cubed is the less endearing reincarnation of Archie Bunker.

The list goes on.

Zak The Neutrino
01-08-2016, 11:23 AM
We are to blame for annoying Peter Laird enough that he sold the franchise to the corporation above Paramount for peanuts.

Also, blame anyone who ever bought a Transformers ticket.

I say we just blame all the transformer fans.

sethmartin
01-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Why is this even a thread? It took years to get a new TMNT movie off the ground because movie goers stopped supporting the franchise. SOTO didn't make half the profits that the first movie made and TMNT III made only half of that. They also each performed less favorably with critics. So much to the point that Kevin Eastman couldn't even get a fourth movie made in 1997. It took 14 years for them to finally get another movie off the ground and it had to be animated to keep the production costs down and still be faithful to the Turtles. Even that movie was poorly received.

It took a major studio like Nickelodeon, the success of a new cartoon, and a big well known producer like Michael Bay being involved before anyone would even consider making a new Turtles movie. The result was a film that (even though it was poorly received by critics) made more money than all of the previous turtles movies combined.

Now you might hate the direction, the style, the actors, Michael Bay, and everything else about it (and I would probably agree with you). But the truth is, from a business point of view, they have saved the franchise on the big screen. They have proven that Turtles movies can make big money, and this will open the door for future filmmakers to do more faithful reboots on the big screen in the years to come. Just like X-Men and Spider-Man. Think of this series as the "test run" before the real series begins.

plastroncafe
01-08-2016, 11:34 AM
If you're looking for someone to blame, look in the mirror, boys. It's all for you. Every single thing PD has done, or will do, is for you. By design.

This is what cis het boys want, and so this is what cis het boys will get.
Drink it in and enjoy.

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 11:37 AM
I am cis het, still don't want. Where do I go from here?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Why is this even a thread? It took years to get a new TMNT movie off the ground because movie goers stopped supporting the franchise. SOTO didn't make half the profits that the first movie made and TMNT III made only half of that. They also each performed less favorably with critics. So much to the point that Kevin Eastman couldn't even get a fourth movie made in 1997. It took 14 years for them to finally get another movie off the ground and it had to be animated to keep the production costs down and still be faithful to the Turtles. Even that movie was poorly received.

It took a major studio like Nickelodeon, the success of a new cartoon, and a big well known producer like Michael Bay being involved before anyone would even consider making a new Turtles movie. The result was a film that (even though it was poorly received by critics) made more money than all of the previous turtles movies combined.

Now you might hate the direction, the style, the actors, Michael Bay, and everything else about it (and I would probably agree with you). But the truth is, from a business point of view, they have saved the franchise on the big screen. They have proven that Turtles movies can make big money, and this will open the door for future filmmakers to do more faithful reboots on the big screen in the years to come. Just like X-Men and Spider-Man. Think of this series as the "test run" before the real series begins.

I agree with everything you said except for what I highlighted in red.

TMNT will never get a serious, more faithful cinematic adaptation. Everybody with a budget will never be unconvinced that "TMNT is just for kids."

plastroncafe
01-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Worse...thanks to Platinum Dunes the "just for kids" thing has expanded to "Kids and man-children," a niche market that's likely to burn hotter right before it collapses in under its own weight.

One way to save it is to make it good, and inclusive. Open it up to more than just one distilled fanbase.

"Change is the only constant."

CyberCubed
01-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Nobody was asking for the Turtles to become 4 Hulks with nostrils.

Amaranthus
01-08-2016, 12:01 PM
You're right, it's our fault. Now what?

https://polygrafi.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/seppuku.jpg

sethmartin
01-08-2016, 12:14 PM
I agree with everything you said except for what I highlighted in red.

TMNT will never get a serious, more faithful cinematic adaptation. Everybody with a budget will never be unconvinced that "TMNT is just for kids."

True, we might never get a faithful cinematic adaptation on the big screen. However, they could easily do what DC and Marvel did and make animated films that are based more on the comics. I'd love to see an animated version of the original Mirage books or the IDW series. They would be cheaper to produce and they could be used to test the waters and find out for sure what fans really want before they dump $120M into a feature. That's what Star Wars did, that's what DC did with "Dark Knight Returns", and that's what Marvel did. Now Star Wars is on its way to being the highest grossing movie of all time and I don't think that franchise is any better than Ninja Turtles.

Meow
01-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Nobody was asking for the Turtles to become 4 Hulks with nostrils.
Replace "Hulk" with "Shrek" and you speak from my very own heart!

IndigoErth
01-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Well... some things were changed, were they not? Blue Door, Shredder, etc., so there's some power there. But we have zilch in terms of the business deals; who buys what and who they put in charge of what. Too bad Bay & Co are appanetly Viacom's go-to people. And then others (Fox, etc) that already had connections. I never realized until now how much these companies just defaulted to who they already have done business with.

I wish there was at least the power to get Bay and writers away from TMNT. Now that I'm moderately used to them, I'm okay with seeing a bit more of this set of Turtles (provided they don't take over as the new face of the franchise); all things considered, they were after all kind of the best part about it, but I'd really love to see them put into someone else's hands. Makes me a little sad for them that that probably isn't possible.

I hope the new director can pull off at least a small miracle, but I don't trust that his hands were not largely tied by the more powerful people around him. I'd feel bad for him if he and his own career get thrown under the bus thanks to other people.

Somebody just needs to win the lotto and contribute a chuck of cash to the third one in return for the power to stop Bay and writers when they get out of control. (I'd say use the winnings to make your own, but currently there's no stopping this train; only trying to change the tracks may be possible.)

TrickOrTreater
01-08-2016, 02:11 PM
But the truth is, from a business point of view, they have saved the franchise on the big screen.

And all they had to do was sacrifice nearly everything that makes the Turtles great.

But thank f*cking blood-gutted CHRIST rich people got richer off this movie. From a business point of view.

I would rather NO MOVIE(S) AT ALL, than have this garbage series made for the lowest common denominator.

and this will open the door for future filmmakers to do more faithful reboots on the big screen in the years to come. Just like X-Men and Spider-Man. Think of this series as the "test run" before the real series begins.

This will open the door for studios to churn out even more garbage than before, when sh*t movies make money.

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 02:42 PM
https://polygrafi.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/seppuku.jpg

Hahaha, I was going to say.....

@plastroncafe, this isn't a cis het thing dear friend. You really need to meet better examples of hetero men. Idk...I think you've only known the worst of us. :lol:

Also
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/b/b6/Batman%26RobinScreen.png/revision/latest?cb=20120811231113

Schumacher took a similar approach to Batman and Robin...so (given a very small sample selection) one could draw the conclusion that sexuality isn't a factor in who's driving the bus.

In a way, the sequel does look and feel like a playmates toy commercial. It feels like cheap plastic toys running wild in the city...
Maybe we should blame those who buy the garbage that playmates puts out? Maybe they know that they can get away with little cheats, like missing pain applications, or bad designs etc.

DarkLightDragon
01-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Because this fanbase will settle for less and hardly demand for better as long as TMNT is mainstream again.

Meow
01-08-2016, 02:47 PM
And all they had to do was sacrifice nearly everything that makes the Turtles great.
Thank you! I couldn't phrase this any better than you just did!

IamtheNorm
01-08-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm still waiting for a sequel to the 2007 TMNT movie.

plastroncafe
01-08-2016, 03:18 PM
@plastroncafe, this isn't a cis het thing dear friend. You really need to meet better examples of hetero men. Idk...I think you've only known the worst of us. :lol:

I would, and will, continue to disagree with you on this, and that disagreement has absolutely nothing to do with the cis het men in my life.

It has everything to do with the cis het men in this forum, in board rooms, and in marketing departments who are very vocal about What Guys Want.
PD is giving them exactly what they think Guys Want.

It's the male gaze made tangible.
Buff strong guys stumbling along some cobbled together facsimile of the Hero's Quest. There're babes there, but really...it's about the dudes, but not in a gay way. What we need are explosions. EXTREME EXPLOSIONS! Action! Nothing but Action!

Don't tell me #notallmen, tell them. Because they're the ones spoon feeding you guys this stuff, and telling you how much you love it, not me.
It's been made all too clear to me and mine that these things aren't made with us in mind.

CyberCubed
01-08-2016, 03:41 PM
I don't even know what the term, "cis het" even means. Seriously, when did all these new sexual orientations pop up? Was I always supposed to know about this?

What the hell is, "cis?" I'm being totally serious. Must me something from the tumblr generation.

TheSkeletonMan939
01-08-2016, 03:44 PM
'We' let it happen because we didn't buy enough toys when 4Kids still had the license... the PD films might not have been made if the 4Kids show had gone on a few more seasons.

plastroncafe
01-08-2016, 03:44 PM
I don't even know what the term, "cis het" even means. Seriously, when did all these new sexual orientations pop up? Was I always supposed to know about this?

What the hell is, "cis?" I'm being totally serious. Must me something from the tumblr generation.

How do you not know how to use google?

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Lolololol. It's a very very old sexual orientation, in fact.

CyberCubed
01-08-2016, 03:48 PM
How do you not know how to use google?

Its not something I look up in general.

As far as I know there are only 4 sexualities:

Hetero
Homo
Bisexual
Asexual

Now all of a sudden they discovered like 15-20 more sexualities out of nowhere when there's only two genders of the human race.

TheSkeletonMan939
01-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Lolololol. It's a very very old sexual orientation, in fact.

How old is 'very old'?

plastroncafe
01-08-2016, 03:55 PM
How old is 'very old'?

I doubt very much that it's older than the others, but it's certainly the oldest recognized of the lot.

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 03:56 PM
It's been made all too clear to me and mine that these things aren't made with us in mind.

#1 - The dividing line sucks. I'm on this forum, as are many other guys who dig vagina. <-see what I did there? I intentionally said something excessive, just to drive home the point that this us vs them stuff is justsilly. I can say it in so many different ways, but in the end, we're not on different teams...none of us are. I don't think I'm alone in that. I'm not opposed to your values, most grown men aren't. I might even, oh boy, share them..:)

#2 - I don't think I've ever read an example from you, of what you think would make it more palatable to you. I could infer some ideas, but instead of speaking for you, maybe reading your thoughts on what would make it more inclusive might open everyones eyes. :)
Personally, I find it refreshing to read about what we hoped/wanted instead of what we hated. I get what you don't want, and to an extent, I don't want it either... but what do you want, that you think we wouldn't?

plastroncafe
01-08-2016, 04:13 PM
#1 - The dividing line sucks. I'm on this forum, as are many other guys who dig vagina. <-see what I did there? I intentionally said something excessive, just to drive home the point that this us vs them stuff is justsilly. I can say it in so many different ways, but in the end, we're not on different teams...none of us are. I don't think I'm alone in that. I'm not opposed to your values, most grown men aren't. I might even, oh boy, share them..:)

#2 - I don't think I've ever read an example from you, of what you think would make it more palatable to you. I could infer some ideas, but instead of speaking for you, maybe reading your thoughts on what would make it more inclusive might open everyones eyes. :)
Personally, I find it refreshing to read about what we hoped/wanted instead of what we hated. I get what you don't want, and to an extent, I don't want it either... but what do you want, that you think we wouldn't?

Hmmm. So what you're basically asking me for is my Unpopular Fandom Opinion regarding the PD movie.
Interesting.

Okay, I'll bite.

First and foremost Sexual Predator!Michaelangelo needs to be called to the mat for his crap. By both April and his brothers. Bonus points for Splinter punishing him for it too. And not just...ugh, it's Mike being Mike. What a horndog!

I want full on consequences for his crap behavior.
(same goes for Vernon)

I'd like April to be filmed with less cheesecake in mind. She's a professional, let's start treating her like one. And hey, if you add in a couple of extra women for her to interact with, then that opens up the possibility of her being venerable without being just a damsel.
A Bechdel Pass wouldn't go amiss.

How about a plot that isn't cribbed heavily from The Amazing Spider-man.

I know the source material wasn't exactly riddled with continuity, or free from plot holes large enough for a MAC Truck to barrel through, but a little attention to detail goes a long way.

I like slice-of-life stuff almost as much, if not more, than big action sequences. So I'd like to have some good decent family time in there for certain. Don't just tell me that these characters love each other, and are honor bound to put their lives on the line for them, show me.

I've been lead to believe that's the whole point of the medium, it'd be nice to actually see some of that.

Action movies can have all of these things, and kickass action too.
Mad Max: Fury Road is proof enough of that.

sethmartin
01-08-2016, 04:17 PM

But thank f*cking blood-gutted CHRIST rich people got richer off this movie. From a business point of view.

I would rather NO MOVIE(S) AT ALL, than have this garbage series made for the lowest common denominator.

This will open the door for studios to churn out even more garbage than before, when sh*t movies make money.

Well, they tried to do their own thing and it failed. The fan and critic reviews proved that. However, the dollars proved that people want to see the turtles on the big screen. That's what I meant by "they saved the franchise for the big screen".

That being said, the last movie was pretty much universally hated. So the sequel won't make as much money for that reason unless it's a better film and word of mouth spreads. It's for this reason that they were forced to make drastic changes to the tone, the look of the turtles, making it more like the cartoon, etc.

If this movie is as hated as the first, Paramount will have no choice than to end this particular series. However, they now know how much money the Turtles can bring in so they won't give up on making Turtles movies and will probably reboot it. Just like what happened with Spider-Man and Star Wars.

Believe it or not, no studio or producer wants to make ****** movies. They want to make great movies that people love because it means they will keep coming back and supporting the franchise. Whether they succeed or not is entirely up to the audience. They can't afford to make ****** movies forever.

TheSkeletonMan939
01-08-2016, 04:19 PM
So the sequel won't make as much money for that reason unless it's a better film and word of mouth spreads

They don't need to make a better film. They throw in bebop and Rocksteady, and the Technodrome for good measure, and boom! Seeing that stuff in live action is enough to make audiences want to see the sequel to one of the worst films of 2014.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-08-2016, 04:24 PM
They don't need to make a better film. They throw in bebop and Rocksteady, and the Technodrome for good measure, and boom! Seeing that stuff in live action is enough to make audiences want to see the sequel to one of the worst films of 2014.

this quote right here...is why movies dont try anymore

you literally just gave them the ok to be bad

TheSkeletonMan939
01-08-2016, 04:27 PM

You mean me personally? Hell no, I'm just saying why I think this film will be no better than the last... don't worry, I hate this series just as much as you guys. :P

plastroncafe
01-08-2016, 04:29 PM

this quote right here...is why movies dont try anymore

^^^
Agreed.

I do also agree that most film makers don't set out to make a crap movie, but at the end of the day movies are still a business, and that means returning a profit from one's investment.

And if that means tossing out the baby to gild bathtub...then so be it.
Kevin Smith does a great bit about Superman and Robot Spiders...here, I've found a link:
How producer Jon Peters and a giant spider nearly ruined Superman (http://thepopcultist.com/2013/06/12/how-producer-jon-peters-and-a-giant-spider-nearly-ruined-superman/)

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

First and foremost Sexual Predator!Michaelangelo needs to be called to the mat for his crap. By both April and his brothers. Bonus points for Splinter punishing him for it too. And not just...ugh, it's Mike being Mike. What a horndog!

I want full on consequences for his crap behavior.
(same goes for Vernon)

I'd like April to be filmed with less cheesecake in mind. She's a professional, let's start treating her like one. And hey, if you add in a couple of extra women for her to interact with, then that opens up the possibility of her being venerable without being just a damsel.

How about a plot that isn't cribbed heavily from The Amazing Spider-man.

I know the source material wasn't exactly riddled with continuity, or free from plot holes large enough for a MAC Truck to barrel through, but a little attention to detail goes a long way.

I like slice-of-life stuff almost as much, if not more, than big action sequences. So I'd like to have some good decent family time in there for certain. Don't just tell me that these characters love each other, and are honor bound to put their lives on the line for them, show me.

I've been lead to believe that's the whole point of the medium, it'd be nice to actually see some of that.

Action movies can have all of these things, and kickass action too.
Mad Max: Fury Road is proof enough of that.

I'll do you one better - That wasn't Mike. I don't care what anyone says...that's not him. Mike isn't a pig. All of it was so out of character.
So we agree.

On all other counts in the matter, commenter 42 and plastroncafe, ... AGREE.

I'd also opine that anyone reading this, right now, including cubed, probably agree.

Like I said, we're all on the same team, and we are all at fault for not standing together against this POS film, and it's offshoots. We fought like fools amongst ourselves; it's time that stops.

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I'd also opine that anyone reading this, right now, including cubed, probably agree.

*tickled pink*

Heh, anyways. Yes, that would have all been most welcome.

I guess it boils down to TMNT comics never being taken seriously by anyone. Ignoring what Marvel and DC are doing, even more esoteric stuff gets good adaptions (Hellboy, Preacher, Walking Dead, Rocketeer, to name a few).

But instead of being in that category, Hollywood deemed them to belong in the half-assed nostalgia pile. Just add gratuitous cappy CGI, an uninspired human cast that hogs screen time, explosions, dick jokes, Megan Fox and boom.... made a billion for those stupid robots eh?

sethmartin
01-08-2016, 05:44 PM
*tickled pink*

Heh, anyways. Yes, that would have all been most welcome.

I guess it boils down to TMNT comics never being taken seriously by anyone. Ignoring what Marvel and DC are doing, even more esoteric stuff gets good adaptions (Hellboy, Preacher, Walking Dead, Rocketeer, to name a few).

True. A lot of that also has to do with the fact that most of the Marvel and DC characters were famous comic book characters first and then were adapted into "comic book" movies. Whereas, TMNT wasn't really well known until the Fred Wolf show. So it kind of makes sense why they would pay more tribute to that because that's what most people know the characters from.

However, the comic books have the best stories. They could easily do like the 1990 movie and lift storylines from the comics and then add enough elements from the cartoons to please the general audience. That movie started as a faithful adaptation of the comics and then they did rewrites to include elements of the show and made it more kid friendly.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Cubed, my man, as always, I am here to broaden your horizons:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cishet&defid=7390864

You're welcome!

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 07:16 PM
One of my biggest problems with 2014 was Mike and Donnie. 1990's Mike was great. Donnie is how I've always imagined Mirage Donnie to be -intelligent and inquisitive, but quiet and introspective; most definitely not "nerdy" and irkle-esque.

I love Paulsens Donnie in 2012, but only because in that dynamic, he works - they all work, except Leo...there really hasn't been a good Leo ever, IMHO. Turtles Forever Mirage came closest, for my tastes.

IndigoErth
01-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Indeed.

First and foremost Sexual Predator!Michaelangelo needs to be called to the mat for his crap. By both April and his brothers.
Agree, I was surprised and disappointed that no one ever really said anything, just kept waiting for it to happen.

For April to stand there like a dimwit who can't understand words that are being spoken in front of her... :roll:

After seeing that small portion of it in trailers, I was rather disappointed when Leo said nothing after the "adult conversations" part, even though his expression did subtlety change and his eyes looked in Mikey's direction when those words came out of Mikey's mouth. (Though he made up for a tad when he does mildly hit him in the lair after another comment later. Plus, he is the only one who in the end does finally tell Mikey "she's not into it," but unfortunately there's so many other voices happening he's pretty drowned out...)

I really expected maybe the sequel would drop it, but going by the trailers... *sigh* Although the brothers give a slight hope that they might show a little more reaction this time. Maybe.

I'm still annoyed that they (whoever 'they' was) tried to say it was the "most feminist" film of the year. A year that had other films such as another Hunger Games and Divergent. Who in their right mind would look at 2014 TMNT when deciding that.

Leo656
01-08-2016, 09:35 PM
It's pretty simple. People saw the thing coming from a mile away, knew it was bad, but "It's TMNT!" so they paid their money, and it made enough that we're getting more.

People stop being easily-manipulated little consumerist sheep, buying everything with their favorite Brand Label on it, you get less garbage handed to you. "But we went 15 years with no TMNT movies at all!" Yeah, and I'd gladly have waited ANOTHER 15 years, or 30, or 100, before I'd sit through sh*t like what they're pumping out now.

If you're the type of fan who buys anything and everything with a TMNT sticker on it, even if it's of poor quality, you're not being a "Super-Duper-Fan" you're being a f*cking mark, and you're actively hurting the thing you claim to love. STOP IT.

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 09:40 PM
I have zero evidence on this, but I get the feeling that most of the ticket sales were from kids. Not adult fans who know better.

Leo656
01-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Someone had to physically drive them there 3 or 4 times and pay for tickets.

Also, several posters here (who at the very least CLAIM to be of voting age or higher) stated they saw the movie as many as 5 or 6 times. Allegedly, they had every chance to leave, they weren't strapped down "Clockwork Orange"-style or anything, supposedly this was a thing done on purpose.

So while I agree that there was probably a ratio of roughly 3 or 4 under-18 tickets sold for every 1 over-18 ticket sold, the truth is there's plenty of blame to go around.

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 09:54 PM
I have zero evidence on this, but I get the feeling that most of the ticket sales were from kids. Not adult fans who know better.

If only that were true. Lots of people felt that this was their opportunity to, "introduce" their own kids, to their new favorite thing...wink wink...

"Look Jimmy, you can play with these, but these we'll keep in the packages for safe keeping, and these over here are daddy's, don't touch these. Now play with these here. Don't you love them? Aren't they just the best thing?

YOU WILL PLAY WITH YOUR NINJA TURTLES OR NO DESSERT!!!"

Leo656
01-08-2016, 09:59 PM
As if it even works anyway. :trazz: My niece was half-obsessed with TMNT when she was like 12. Now she's 16, all "emo", and doesn't give a single sh*t about TMNT. And in-between she was obsessed with boy bands.

Kids are kinda dumb nowadays, they don't "get into" things as deeply as we did, they're too distracted. They're only casually interested in what they like, quickly abandoning one thing for the next; I find it highly unlikely that the current generation of young people is going to be as nostalgia-obsessed as we are. Any attempts at "indoctrination" are futile; they can be completely obsessed today, by next Thursday it'll be some other thing.

CyberCubed
01-08-2016, 10:00 PM
I saw the movie in theaters, but its not like one ticket sales makes a difference.

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 10:03 PM
If only that were true. Lots of people felt that this was their opportunity to, "introduce" their own kids, to their new favorite thing...wink wink...

"Look Jimmy, you can play with these, but these we'll keep in the packages for safe keeping, and these over here are daddy's, don't touch these. Now play with these here. Don't you love them? Aren't they just the best thing?

YOU WILL PLAY WITH YOUR NINJA TURTLES OR NO DESSERT!!!"

Lol, sad. If I had kids I would have actively sheltered them from Bay Turtles.

Powder
01-08-2016, 10:05 PM
A good friend of mine's got an 8 year old boy & 9 year old girl who ADORE the Nick series & they were absolutely repulsed by the Bay stuff. They didn't even wanna give it a shot. :tlol:

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 10:08 PM
A good friend of mine's got an 8 year old boy & 9 year old girl who ADORE the Nick series & they were absolutely repulsed by the Bay stuff. They didn't even wanna give it a shot. :tlol:

I imagine my younger self would have been put off by the ass ugly character designs of the titular heroes.

Why did they do that anyways? If you're gonna go full on fugly, at least make them look like real turtles.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-08-2016, 10:11 PM

My kid doesn't even RECOGNIZE Bay Turtles. He knows Leo, Raph, Donnie, and Mikey, but he sees those toys and he's like "What Turtles are those?" :tlol:

IndigoErth
01-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Why did they do that anyways?
Wait, I know the canned response to that: "Because they're mutants."

Whenever "mutation" started to mean it's impossible to still be appealing - *throws up hands*

Shark_Blade
01-08-2016, 10:39 PM
How did we let the TMNT movie license wind up the way it has? It depresses me to think we're going to have at least 3 Bay movies and in a time when Marvel/DC are ramping up their movies we're stuck with...this.

How did we let this happen? We could have done something. We could have saved TMNT.

This is a blessing tbh. Be thankful and be grateful cubed.

Its not something I look up in general.

As far as I know there are only 4 sexualities:

Hetero
Homo
Bisexual
Asexual

Now all of a sudden they discovered like 15-20 more sexualities out of nowhere when there's only two genders of the human race.
Yes, you absolutely need to read more.

http://i.imgur.com/iRnPvNE.jpg

CyberCubed
01-08-2016, 10:54 PM
I remember people complained the Imagi film made the Turtles too skinny. And yet those designs were pretty damn decent compared to Bay Turtles.

IndigoErth
01-08-2016, 10:57 PM
This is a blessing tbh.
http://i.imgur.com/0rb0hsS.gif

Love or hate it (or "meh" it), either way the "blessing" thing is... well, see above.

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 10:59 PM
I imagine my younger self would have been put off by the ass ugly character designs of the titular heroes.

Why did they do that anyways? If you're gonna go full on fugly, at least make them look like real turtles.

Now, I want to hug you. Just a little.

I remember people complained the Imagi film made the Turtles too skinny. And yet those designs were pretty damn decent compared to Bay Turtles.

I wasn't into the Imagi at all. I get some people dig that look, but nope for me.

Leo656
01-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Aww, give that little fella a pat on the back.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-08-2016, 11:04 PM

Yeah, I've got no problem with the Imagi design. They're Turtles; they looked good enough.

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 11:05 PM
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.9169605.1554/raf,750x1000,075,t,royal_blue.jpg

Bry
01-08-2016, 11:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0rb0hsS.gif

Love or hate it (or "meh" it), either way the "blessing" thing is... well, see above.

Isn't that the guy who was calling BayTurtles a "precious gift" or somesuch all through 2014?

Who the hell considers cynically and lazily monetizing a brand a "gift"? Is he Michael Bay's bank account given human form?

ToTheNines
01-08-2016, 11:22 PM
No, just a freakshow.

IndigoErth
01-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Is he Michael Bay's bank account given human form?
Every couple of years or so it must come out to feed. It's 2016, it grows hungry.

Commenter 42
01-08-2016, 11:46 PM
Every couple of years or so it must come out to feed. It's 2016, it grows hungry.

great. nightmares. thanks.

IndigoErth
01-09-2016, 12:16 AM
great. nightmares. thanks.
Sorry, had to...
http://i.imgur.com/8ci7jet.jpg

Leo656
01-09-2016, 12:18 AM
Oh, my.....

Commenter 42
01-09-2016, 12:26 AM
so, tonight in my dreams;

a grey and lifeless Spider-boring will spin a web, of average size and post it to instagram, while a big red creature burps-up half digested Meganfoxes. Meanwhile Scott Baio makes a Butter sculpture of Michael Bay, posing a top a pile of Money, while dressed as a nun.

thanks all.

IndigoErth
01-09-2016, 12:30 AM
:lol: Wow.

(And that's supposed to be an angler fish of sorts.)

ToTheNines
01-09-2016, 05:36 AM
so, tonight in my dreams;

a grey and lifeless Spider-boring will spin a web, of average size and post it to instagram, while a big red creature burps-up half digested Meganfoxes. Meanwhile Scott Baio makes a Butter sculpture of Michael Bay, posing a top a pile of Money, while dressed as a nun.

thanks all.

Lol, I feel insane... but I get all of that.

Jester
01-09-2016, 07:00 AM

The sounds like friend of my wife. She and her sons sat down to watch Bay Turtles on Netflix...and subsequently turned it off. I've been meaning to lend them my copies of the other 4 films...but never got around to it.

TrickOrTreater
01-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Now, I want to hug you. Just a little.

I wasn't into the Imagi at all. I get some people dig that look, but nope for me.

I liked their builds, but something about their heads made them look too lizard-like for me. Too much like a cartoon gecko.

Thousand times better than BayTurtles though.

Commenter 42
01-09-2016, 02:06 PM
I liked their builds, but something about their heads made them look too lizard-like for me. Too much like a cartoon gecko.

Thousand times better than BayTurtles though.

Yep, that's the complaint. The heads were the big problem. why they went for a re-design at all, I'll never understand.

ToTheNines
01-09-2016, 02:12 PM
The rubber/rigid headbands always baffled me.

Commenter 42
01-09-2016, 02:21 PM
The rubber/rigid headbands always baffled me.

That too. No proper cloth sim; then again, it was 2007... CG was still pretty expensive.

sigh...

I dreamed a dream...of a better world....where turtle people looked like turtles...

OrangeNinja1987
01-09-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm not saying the movie is in any way perfect, but I got enjoyment out of it (here me out!). Half of it is terrible, but I loved the turtles in the movie, besides Mikey. People may say there wasn't enough of the turtles, but there was enough of them for me and their interactions were good enough that I had fun watching it.
Fun, get it? It's definitely not great, or Oscar-worthy, or deep, or non-manipulative, and there are way to many Mikey/April jokes and plot-holes for my liking.
I know people will yell at me for having an opinion, something seemingly against the law in the hive-mind that is the internet. But for what the movie gave us, it was fun, but not much else. Would I prefer a better take? Most definitely, but I'm not the one whining about every small problem in the movie and crying because my childhood has been ruined.
Gosh, I hate the phrase "Ruined my childhood". Guess what guys, if you don't like it don't watch it and don't dehumanize those who try to have fun with what the studios are willing to give us! There are still boundless amounts of good TMNT material that no new version, no matter how bad it is, can ruin your childhood memories. Children in other countries starve or have to grow up fast and here we are, crying about a movie we don't like and won't watch but will never shut up about!
Maybe if fans stopped acting like whining babies people wouldn't see TMNT as something only for "kids or man-children".
I am sick of this and sick of people telling me that I am less of a person they are because I enjoy something stupid and mindless.
I haven't talked about or defended this movie for months, because no matter what I say I'll be yelled at.

IndigoErth
01-09-2016, 04:03 PM
I dunno, aside from petty stuff (such as being upset over the title which was particularly stupid imo), I kinda thought a chunk of the
acting like whining babies
was partly due to the limitation on
what the studios are willing to give us!
And partly due to their limited perception of TMNT or how much of a crap they think they should bother to give.

I mean I'm not criticizing anyone's opinion, to each their own and all that, but... I dunno. I'd rather a film actually focuses on them, not the humans, and gives them better respect, closer to what other hero characters get when put in big films. The "just for kids" thing definitely does not rest on adult fans...

For now I remain skeptically hopeful for the second. For our sake and his, I'd like to see it turn out that the new director ends up getting some praise for this one; a small-time hero (because I'm not expecting a miracle) of a former train wreck.

DioLeo451
01-09-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm not saying the movie is in any way perfect, but I got enjoyment out of it (here me out!). Half of it is terrible, but I loved the turtles in the movie, besides Mikey. People may say there wasn't enough of the turtles, but there was enough of them for me and their interactions were good enough that I had fun watching it.
Fun, get it? It's definitely not great, or Oscar-worthy, or deep, or non-manipulative, and there are way to many Mikey/April jokes and plot-holes for my liking.
I know people will yell at me for having an opinion, something seemingly against the law in the hive-mind that is the internet. But for what the movie gave us, it was fun, but not much else. Would I prefer a better take? Most definitely, but I'm not the one whining about every small problem in the movie and crying because my childhood has been ruined.
Gosh, I hate the phrase "Ruined my childhood". Guess what guys, if you don't like it don't watch it and don't dehumanize those who try to have fun with what the studios are willing to give us! There are still boundless amounts of good TMNT material that no new version, no matter how bad it is, can ruin your childhood memories. Children in other countries starve or have to grow up fast and here we are, crying about a movie we don't like and won't watch but will never shut up about!
Maybe if fans stopped acting like whining babies people wouldn't see TMNT as something only for "kids or man-children".
I am sick of this and sick of people telling me that I am less of a person they are because I enjoy something stupid and mindless.
I haven't talked about or defended this movie for months, because no matter what I say I'll be yelled at.
I Agree I maybe didn't like the first movie but I'm not going to jump down someones else throat for liking it or make them feel like they're inferior because they got some entertainment out of it what will that solve it's completely pointless

Walkabout
01-09-2016, 05:28 PM
I don't know, l didn't credit that these movies (or Bay's Transformers, in which he did the same thing) would be a success but here we are.

I guess people aren't all that discerning and just lap up whatever gets dished up.

I haven't seen PD's TMNT and regret watching the TF ones on free to air TV.

plastroncafe
01-09-2016, 06:05 PM

The bolded parts are my favorite.

CyberCubed
01-09-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm just glad the Nick cartoon debuted before the movie.

Had the movie come out first, then the cartoon probably would have been based on the movie and its designs. That would have been awful.

samxsteal
01-09-2016, 07:43 PM

I Agree I maybe didn't like the first movie but I'm not going to jump down someones else throat for liking it or make them feel like they're inferior because they got some entertainment out of it what will that solve it's completely pointless

Thank you people on these forums act as if those who like the movie are subhuman which is ridiculous.

IndigoErth
01-09-2016, 08:04 PM
I'm just glad the Nick cartoon debuted before the movie.

Had the movie come out first, then the cartoon probably would have been based on the movie and its designs. That would have been awful.
Ehhh... the Nick show is pricey enough, they'd probably have had to really simplify the movie's designs anyhow to even make it work. (Unless it was traditional 2D, though in that case there are some fan art designs of 2014 for inspiration I wouldn't mind that are more flattering.)

Prowler
01-09-2016, 08:17 PM
How did WE let Michael Bay destroy our childhood? We had an actual saying in the matter? Really? Well, why didn't you tell me so?! This could have all been avoided...

Meow
01-09-2016, 08:32 PM
How did WE let Michael Bay destroy our childhood?
Thank you! That is all that there is to say about this thread! Totally on spot!

IndigoErth
01-09-2016, 08:35 PM
But how do we destroy his in return. An eye for an eye is fair in this case? lol

Meow
01-09-2016, 08:41 PM
But how do we destroy his in return. An eye for an eye is fair in this case? lol
It might seem fair but looking at the fact that doing harm to someone else just because he or she did harm to know, mostly not even knowing, is not an option in my opinion. I know that doesn't answer your question at all and all I have to say is that good things are patient. Damage done? True. Changes at hand? Maybe. Either way do not let someone or something push you into something you are not! Take your time, ease off the pressure and - in this case - take aside what troubles you aka the michael bay idiot.

That being said I dare to put needles into the topic: No wonder why (movie) piracy is this big today.

Prowler
01-09-2016, 08:41 PM
But what if he had a pretty bad childhood and the main reason he likes to destroy others is to avenge the fact he didn't have a good one in the first place?

Michael bay is a cartoon villain! :lol:

IndigoErth
01-09-2016, 08:52 PM
But what if he had a pretty bad childhood and the main reason he likes to destroy others is to avenge the fact he didn't have a good one in the first place?

Michael bay is a cartoon villain! :lol:
Oh god, you're probably right.

I'm still certain he's basically Eric Sacks already. Drain them for all they're worth so he can get stupid rich - yup, sounds about right. (Although I just watched an old season 10 ep of the first series and Dregg and was likewise draining them, if for physical power rather than monetary, so there's something to that I guess.. :tgrumble:)

It might seem fair but looking at the fact that doing harm to someone else just because he or she did harm to know, mostly not even knowing, is not option in my opinion. I know that doesn't answer your question at all and all I have to say is that good things are patient. Damage done? True. Changes at hand? Maybe. Either way do not let someone or something push you into something you are not! Take your time, ease off the pressure and - in this case - take aside what troubles you aka the michael bay idiot.

That being said I dare to put needles into the topic: No wonder why (movie) piracy is this big today.
Aw, come on... I only want to win the lotto and make a movie to bastardize whatever was popular with kids when he was roughly age 10. :tlol:

I will talk him into contributing money, but allow him no say in it.

Commenter 42
01-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Thank you people on these forums act as if those who like the movie are subhuman which is ridiculous.

#1 -There's no such thing as subhuman.

#2 - You, if anything, are a very typical human, one might even say predictable. You refuse, after all this time, to stop arguing with us, and instead stubbornly refute other opinions as though you are under some form of unjust persecution.

#3 - The ridicule stems from your stubborn, illogical, circular arguments, not so much your taste, and it absolutely has nothing to do with who you are.

Leo656
01-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Not "subhuman". Sub-literate. There's a whole wide world of difference.

Commenter 42
01-10-2016, 12:19 AM
That was more than the jugular... you just went and tore the head clean off.
I'm fine with that and all, but this time, you're mopping up.

Shark_Blade
01-10-2016, 01:06 AM
I remember people complained the Imagi film made the Turtles too skinny. And yet those designs were pretty damn decent compared to Bay Turtles.That's your own opinion.

In fact, many people like both designs, me included. ;)
http://sugarysymbiote.tumblr.com/post/75304844601/sting-like-a-bella-bee-darthempress
https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/sarifinasnightmare/131779199014

Of course, TMNT 2014 sold more tickets than that tragic 2007 movie. :trazz:

TrickOrTreater
01-10-2016, 03:33 PM
The bolded parts are my favorite.

Mine too.

Where's my bingo card...

Leo656
01-10-2016, 03:48 PM
That was more than the jugular... you just went and tore the head clean off.
I'm fine with that and all, but this time, you're mopping up.

If people admit they're easily amused by things that lack any substance, they can't rightly complain when someone else simply puts the exact same thing into different words. "I don't need things like stories or plot or characters to entertain me." Okay. So you have no standards. You're "entertained" by anything at all. I appreciate you telling me that so I don't mistakenly engage you in conversation one day, expecting anything substantial to come of it.

"That's mean!" Sure. But not false.

Commenter 42
01-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Ya, ya, ya, leave 'em to the vultures...who cares

All I wanna know, is, do you hear Hamills Joker when you read me yet? Is it coming through?

Leo656
01-10-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm actually more apt to hear Carl screaming at Urkel, on account of your avatar. :lol:

Commenter 42
01-10-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm actually more apt to hear Carl screaming at Urkel, on account of your avatar. :lol:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr6ve3AzlS1qaidod.gif

Leo656
01-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Well you have to admit, it's an overpowering image. The gentleman's eyes are clearly taking the whole "attached to the skull and sockets" thing as a suggestion and not a rule. It's mesmerizing.

Powder
01-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Get a room.

Leo656
01-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Not without you, sailor!

Somebody's gotta bring the pretzels.

TurtleFan2012
02-01-2016, 08:16 PM

You're not happy that we finally get to see Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, and Baxter on the big screen? You can't judge the TMNT 2 trailer. Maybe this sequel will blow us away :ohwell:

Powder
02-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Anyone can & will judge anything. It's how the human mind works.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-01-2016, 08:42 PM
You're not happy that we finally get to see Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, and Baxter on the big screen? You can't judge the TMNT 2 trailer. Maybe this sequel will blow us away :ohwell:

Stop judging people for judging a trailer.

Stop judging people for judging people for judging a trailer.

It just keeps getting more and more ridiculous, mang.

Zak The Neutrino
02-01-2016, 08:48 PM
I think the better question is how did we let this thread go on for so many pages?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I think the better question is how did we let this thread go on for so many pages?

Points to you, Zak. :tlol:

IndigoErth
02-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Although to be fair, six pages is nothing (and perhaps an accomplishment in personal restraint) when it comes fro to these particular films. :trazz:

TrickOrTreater
02-02-2016, 03:24 AM

Yeah. It won't.

Myko
02-02-2016, 03:47 AM
It will blow though.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-02-2016, 09:50 AM

I was the same in the early 1990's. I watched the 1987 cartoon and read the Archie comics and didn't care much for the films (I saw them, nothing else). Mostly because the original films removed the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen.

Powder
02-02-2016, 01:12 PM
So you disliked or felt indifferent towards the live action films as a child because there was no Krang...? That's one of the strangest things I've ever read here.
There is just so much awesome in there, how could you not appreciate it all, especially as a kid?

Candy Kappa
02-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Huh, I was opposite as a kid. Hated the FW episodes I had seen, but loved the 1990 movie + Archie and the toys.

CyberCubed
02-02-2016, 06:46 PM
And why is that?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
02-03-2016, 07:10 AM
So you disliked or felt indifferent towards the live action films as a child because there was no Krang...? That's one of the strangest things I've ever read here.
There is just so much awesome in there, how could you not appreciate it all, especially as a kid?

I don't care if it's Krang or Utroms, just the mutagen (not the turtles) has some extraterrestrial origin! Today I see the first film as a good start-up for something but it still disappoints me reading the second film was meant to have been with TCRI (discovering that would really something worth calling the Secret of the Ooze!).

Powder
02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
I wonder about you.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I don't care if it's Krang or Utroms, just the mutagen (not the turtles) has some extraterrestrial origin! Today I see the first film as a good start-up for something but it still disappoints me reading the second film was meant to have been with TCRI (discovering that would really something worth calling the Secret of the Ooze!).

What the hell did you just say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_illiteracy

Or let me put it a different way...

http://i.imgur.com/FdfP9jU.png

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Simple answer... the fanbase (at least the movie fanbase) don't care about quality or a good movie as long as the TMNT is slapped on it and the main characters kinda/sorta resemble the characters they vaugely remember from their childhood....

And now they have a sequel. That will also suck. But hey, Bebop and Rocksteady.