PDA

View Full Version : Games you're yet to beat

Prowler
01-08-2016, 03:50 PM
We all have games that have given us trouble after trouble. Especially older games from the NES era which can be frustratingly difficult. Naturally, I'm only talking about games where you've invested a big amount of time and effort in beating. I played some CastleVania 1 and Ninja Gaiden 1 before and am yet to beat them, but I don't think I have even sunk 10 hours in both combined.

The first one that comes to my mind is the original TMNT NES game. Boy this game sure has traumatised a lot of childhoods, hasn't it? Could never beat the damn dam level as a kid and was only able to beat it as an adult some years ago. Yet to go any further than the airport level. And trust me, every Summer or so I try to beat the game and end up failing.

Then there's Super Mario Bros. NES games. As odd as it sounds, I've never beaten them despite playing them on a daily basis when I was a kid. Only gotten midway through worlds 8 in SMB 1 and 3. As for 2, dunno. :lol:

Finally, there's Donkey Kong 64. Could never beat that damn factory boss. Can't recall why. But haven't touched that game in like 12-13 years, so it doesn't really bother me much.

And for the record, by "beating" I don't mean "completing".

Your turn.

Zak The Neutrino
01-08-2016, 04:03 PM
There are some but the first two that come to mind right now are the first TMNT for NES and Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

TMNT I've probably only made it maybe half way through the game. However I haven't played it in a LONG time so if I read how to beat it I bet I could go back now and do it.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out I get to the very end and can't beat Tyson. I've faced him many times over the years and never been able to win. Also the guy before him which name escapes me is super hard to beat too.

Wesley
01-08-2016, 04:08 PM
There are some games I've yet to beat, but the most notable ones are Final Fantasy II (Dawn of Souls gba version), Super Mario Land, Tales of the Abyss and Phantasy Star IV.

Mew
01-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Mari° W°rld.

tmnt transformer
01-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Tmnt 1 Nes, kid Icarus gb, and metroid prime 2 at the moment.

Etsyturtle2
01-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Ninja gaiden 2

Leo656
01-08-2016, 10:12 PM
I've got 4 wins against Tyson, versus who knows how many losses, but still. :lol: I can't go in cold with a password, though, I have to play the entire game all the way through to get the rhythm in order to even have a chance. Sometimes I think the Bruiser twins on SNES were tougher though.

Let's see... the original Castlevania always beats the crap out of me pretty good. And the TMNT NES game as well, I never finished that. I don't even want to beat that anymore, I don't care. I don't like it enough to play it again.

Confession: I still haven't finished FFVII. I've gotten near the end like three times and always end up getting distracted from it and never finishing it.

I generally make it a point to finish games, especially nowadays, so once I start a game I usually finish it. I do miss a few, though, especially RPGs.

PangolinFeets
01-09-2016, 01:53 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics...
I've tried at least five playthroughs and I always get stuck on the mother****ing Weigraf fight. And its awful, because I absolutely adore the game.
But.
It. Is. So. God. Damn. Hard.

Storm Eagle
01-09-2016, 08:00 AM
I still have to finish Metroid: Other M. I'm not even really that far in it. I might just start all over the next time I play it.

I got the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube in 2002. I finished Sonic 1 & 2, and played Sonic 3, but got stuck in this one stage and haven't touched it since. This was back in 2004.

I'm also still in the middle of Donkey Kong Land 2.

Zak The Neutrino
01-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics...
I've tried at least five playthroughs and I always get stuck on the mother****ing Weigraf fight. And its awful, because I absolutely adore the game.
But.
It. Is. So. God. Damn. Hard.

Me too!! I had forgotten about that one.

The Deadman
01-09-2016, 09:51 AM
I still have to finish Metroid: Other M. I'm not even really that far in it. I might just start all over the next time I play it.

I got the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube in 2002. I finished Sonic 1 & 2, and played Sonic 3, but got stuck in this one stage and haven't touched it since. This was back in 2004.

Would it be the Carnival Night Zone? I only managed to beat that with Knuckles

Prowler
01-09-2016, 11:04 AM

Man totally forgot about Sonic 2. I also own the Sonic Mega Collection for the GameCube and haven't beaten that game yet. I did make to Robotnik though.

As for Sonic 1, pretty sure I beat it when i was like 5-6 years old since I recall the Robotnik fight pretty well after all these years.

PangolinFeets
01-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Me too!! I had forgotten about that one.

The game's difficulty just flies into the sun halfway through the game.

Just Google Wiegraf. Its just thousands of threads looking to beat this asshat.

TurtleTitan97
01-09-2016, 12:12 PM
At the moment:

Final Fantasy VII: I'm just about close to the end, but I haven't been able to find the time to finish it and level up my characters enough

Sonic Adventure 2: Last time I played it I was about to confront another Boss battle.

PangolinFeets
01-09-2016, 12:18 PM
At the moment:

Final Fantasy VII: I'm just about close to the end, but I haven't been able to find the time to finish it and level up my characters enough

Farm up at the submarine near where Emerald weapon is/used to be. That's where I spent years farming levels and master materia.

TurtleTitan97
01-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Farm up at the submarine near where Emerald weapon is/used to be. That's where I spent years farming levels and master materia.

Thanks for the tip. I think I know the location you're talking about, I believe I've visited it once, but nearly got my butt thumped. :lol: If I have time today I'll probably try it out again.

For anyone whose beaten Sephiroth, exactly how tough it is to defeat him? And what level should all my characters should at least be at before I go charging in after him?

PangolinFeets
01-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think I know the location you're talking about, I believe I've visited it once, but nearly got my butt thumped. :lol: If I have time today I'll probably try it out again.

For anyone whose beaten Sephiroth, exactly how tough it is to defeat him? And what level should all my characters should at least be at before I go charging in after him?
I think you can beat him around level 50. I haven't played through the game in at least ten years so I can't be certain. But if you're having a hard time, level 60 should do it.
If you haven't beaten Emerald weapon, I would also work on that. If you can beat Emerald Weapon then you can trash Sephiroth.

TurtleTitan97
01-09-2016, 12:45 PM
I think you can beat him around level 50. I haven't played through the game in at least ten years so I can't be certain. But if you're having a hard time, level 60 should do it.
If you haven't beaten Emerald weapon, I would also work on that. If you can beat Emerald Weapon then you can trash Sephiroth.

Thanks again, PangolinFeets. :)

ToTheNines
01-09-2016, 12:51 PM
I used to fancy myself as the biggest Crash Bandicoot fan on Earth when I was a kid, but I've never actually beat the first game.

I beat all the bosses and most of the levels since I opened everything with cheat codes... I just didn't have the patience with their stupid save system. Fuggers.

PangolinFeets
01-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks again, PangolinFeets. :)

No problemo. Final Fantasy is my softest spot.
Especially IX. I treasure no piece of entertainment media greater than FFIX.

Utrommaniac
01-09-2016, 01:14 PM
I have never been able to complete Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario World on my own.

When I got my wisdom teeth removed, I had hoped I would get to complete it with my parents while my younger brothers were camping. And then I got an ear infection on top of recovering from that surgery. So that didn't happen.

It was terrible.

oldmanwinters
01-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Battletoads. Years ago, I had a summer to put my efforts into a concentrated mastery of the game. I routinely failed at the final tower climb, even when bringing a handful of lives and continues with me.

I don't do nearly as well in the old GameBoy version either, but I don't even have the interest to put more time into that one.

CyberCubed
01-09-2016, 03:12 PM
I beat all my games aside from a few.

I've never been able to beat Punchout NES obviously, got to near the end though. Even with the level skip code Mike Tyson is unbeatable,.

Also never beat Contra II on NES, otherwise known as Super C. Why didn't they include the 30 credits code in that game?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, or 3. I get to the final boss or levels, but then damn. Gets insanely hard and I lose patience.

At least there's not a Mario game I've never played and not beaten: SMB1,2,3 and SMW1 and 2... done it all. Never played any others, though.

Storm Eagle
01-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Yes, that's the stage.

I also have the Sonic Collection for the DS.

Leo656
01-09-2016, 09:14 PM
I've never been able to beat Punchout NES obviously, got to near the end though. Even with the level skip code Mike Tyson is unbeatable,.

So, what, am I a warlock, or are you just a quitter? Try harder. He has a tell like everybody else in the game, it's just that you almost have to know in advance what he's going to do and move at the same time he does. You literally can't get hit. But if you get through Round 1 he loses a ton of steam.

I don't think I ever beat him by KO - if I did, it would have been the first or second time I did it, and I would have been 12 and 13, respectively, and I don't remember how I won, just being blown away that I'd done it. The last couple times were by decision, as best as I recall. The most recent would have been 5-6 years ago.

Stay alive and hit him more than he hits you, and you win. The last 10 seconds are always the worst, because I know that he can still hit me at any time, and if he does, I lose... but if I can just hold on a little longer...!

If I can do it I'm pretty sure most anyone can. It's hard but it's hardly impossible.

Prowler
01-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes, that's the stage.

I also have the Sonic Collection for the DS.
The problem with Sonic 3 stages is that they drag out a lot. That really drains your motivation to beat the game.

CyberCubed
01-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, or 3. I get to the final boss or levels, but then damn. Gets insanely hard and I lose patience..

K. Rool does take some practice to beat but once you learn his patterns you can get by it. DK games only allow you to take one hit before you lose (since you lose your buddy when you get hit), so it is basically "only one hit allowed" boss battles which can be difficult.

Prowler
01-10-2016, 02:58 PM
K. Rool does take some practice to beat but once you learn his patterns you can get by it. DK games only allow you to take one hit before you lose (since you lose your buddy when you get hit), so it is basically "only one hit allowed" boss battles which can be difficult.
TBh... nto so sure if I've beatend DKC or not. Gotta look into that.

Also, confession: I'm yet to play DKC 2 and 3. But me a nd my brother own them, so the only thing that's stopping me is laziness and other priorities pretty much :lol:

TigerClaw
01-10-2016, 03:31 PM
There are a lot of games that I played that i haven't gotten a chance to beat, I blame my Gamer ADD for it, I often play a game for a little while, and then completely forget about it when I do other things.

AT-Man
01-11-2016, 08:27 AM
I have played Ni No Kuni for about 25 hours, last time two years ago I think. Should continue at some point.

Never beat the last boss of Metroid Prime.

Never got through the final dungeon of FF5.

Got to the final boss of Xenogears, attempted it once and then gave up for good. :)

Peanut
01-11-2016, 10:20 AM
The amount of games I own that I haven't gotten time to play yet is staggering, let alone beat.

I've learned to let go of the awful feeling of leaving a game hanging, because in general that means I just probably didn't like it enough to finish it. That or my weird crippling fear of some specific thing will stop me. The length or scope or difficulty of a thing. Off the top of my head the ones that bother me the most...

Castlevania III - I know I can do it and I've gotten incredibly close, but for whatever reason I ALWAYS just stop playing when I get to specific points. I don't know what it is. Outside of Dracula X it's probably the only "classic" Castlevania I've never beaten.

MGSV - I've beaten every game in the series, including the MSX ones, multiple times. I will never beat MGSV, because it's awful and that kills me.

Bayonetta 2 - I got two levels into this and stopped for some reason. I want to go back to it and I'm confident I will, but it's one of those games hanging onto me that makes me feel weight and guilt whenever I play something else.

Xenoblade Chronicles - I got XCX from my mother-in-law for Christmas, so this weighs on me even more now. I got pretty far in the game and really enjoyed it, but I remember getting destroyed by some random high level enemy at some point and it made me put the game down. That kind of sh*t will always drive me from a game, even if it isn't a big deal.

Skyward Sword - Aside from some portable Zelda's it's pretty much the only Zelda I never beat. I got to the part where you have to revisit all the areas and do whatever bullsh*t there (collect tadpoles) and it just ground my interest to an absolute halt. I'm surprised I got through the multiple (awful) imprisoned fights and got caught up in some backtracking, but I'm so late in the game it feels like it'd be impossible for me to go back to and actually finish, so it'll probably remain a regret I have.

There's a lot of other stuff I'd like to beat, but most of the rest really don't bother me. Like Battletoads. I got to Winger Flinger or whatever the hell that sh*t is and got stuck and I just never want to play that game again. It's a sh*t stain of a game. For the longest time Ghosts and Goblins was number 1 on this list for me, but last year I finally beat both the arcade and NES versions (true ending) and I was super glad to put it behind me.

oldmanwinters
01-11-2016, 01:43 PM
I've learned to let go of the awful feeling of leaving a game hanging, because in general that means I just probably didn't like it enough to finish it. That or my weird crippling fear of some specific thing will stop me. The length or scope or difficulty of a thing. Off the top of my head the ones that bother me the most...

I'm kinda weird with some games (battery back up) on getting right up to the end and then just stopping. Like with the original Paper Mario (1st time playing via Virtual Console) last year... I'm at the final world, but I was just enjoying it so much I didn't really want to complete it, as if that sense of completion would somehow put a cap on my ability to continue to experience it as a new thing.

But, yeah, there are multiple Zelda titles that have killed my interest on account of mind-numbing tasks or else just because I'm too dense to understand where I'm supposed to go/do next. In Skyward Sword, I spent hours in an early water dungeon because I couldn't get the camera/lighting in the right position to expose the critical switch.

Zak The Neutrino
01-11-2016, 02:30 PM
So, what, am I a warlock, or are you just a quitter? Try harder. He has a tell like everybody else in the game, it's just that you almost have to know in advance what he's going to do and move at the same time he does. You literally can't get hit. But if you get through Round 1 he loses a ton of steam.

I don't think I ever beat him by KO - if I did, it would have been the first or second time I did it, and I would have been 12 and 13, respectively, and I don't remember how I won, just being blown away that I'd done it. The last couple times were by decision, as best as I recall. The most recent would have been 5-6 years ago.

Stay alive and hit him more than he hits you, and you win. The last 10 seconds are always the worst, because I know that he can still hit me at any time, and if he does, I lose... but if I can just hold on a little longer...!

If I can do it I'm pretty sure most anyone can. It's hard but it's hardly impossible.

I know very few people that have ever beat him. I remember one Saturday night my ex wife and I played that game for hours trying to beat him. We got close a few times but never finished.

CyberCubed
01-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Not counting hard NES games, I beat every game I own. I obviously don't do things 100% anymore as I never complete every single repetitive sidequest or fetch quest, but I always complete the main story and what I consider the "good" sidequests to be.

Any token/fetch collecting crap I usually skip unless you're forced to in order to progress the story. I also don't bother doing repetitive quests where you know you're doing the same thing over and over with slight varations, Ubisoft games and RPG's are most guilty of this.

I'm often surprised how many people give up because of a boss though. Unless its some extremely frustrating or high difficult thing, all bosses in modern games are entirely beatable. I mean, most games aren't Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Games are now easier than they've ever been because they have checkpoints, saves, regenerating health, fast travel, etc. Grind, get better gear, it makes it easier.

Prowler
01-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Not counting hard NES games, I beat every game I own. I obviously don't do things 100% anymore as I never complete every single repetitive sidequest or fetch quest, but I always complete the main story and what I consider the "good" sidequests to be.

Any token/fetch collecting crap I usually skip unless you're forced to in order to progress the story. I also don't bother doing repetitive quests where you know you're doing the same thing over and over with slight varations, Ubisoft games and RPG's are most guilty of this.

I'm often surprised how many people give up because of a boss though. Unless its some extremely frustrating or high difficult thing, all bosses in modern games are entirely beatable. I mean, most games aren't Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Games are now easier than they've ever been because they have checkpoints, saves, regenerating health, fast travel, etc. Grind, get better gear, it makes it easier.
Not to mention youtube videos in case you cant' figure out how to beat a boss.

I can relate to the sidequests. I don't bother completing everything nowadays due to lack of patience and time. After I beat the story mode in Sleeping Dogs, I've never booted up the game again and uninstalled it from the computer in order to save up space even though I still had sidequests left and hadn't bought every clothes article and every available vehicle.

When I replayed Ocarina of Time sometime ago, I didn't bother killing every golden skulltula and getting every single heart piece. I might have missed a heart piece or two in A Link to the Past as well.

Sadly, there's tons of games from previous generation that I'd like to play but haven't gotten to it due to them being on consoles I've never owned(as a kid, you're dependent on your parents...) and I dunno if I'll have the time to play them all the way through ever.

raph27
01-11-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm currently working on beating Shovel Knight. The last level where you fight all of the Order of No Quarter at once. Polar Knight and Propeller Knight are the worst.
I spent a good hour on Saturday trying and trying. No dice.

I've also never beat TMNT: Danger of the Ooze on 3DS. I lost three out of four turtles, and I have no idea where the hell they are in the city. After that I kinda just forgot about the game.

CyberCubed
01-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Zelda is the exception, anytime I replay the games I always get every Heart Piece and get every item. I don't do all the Skulltala's, but I do everything else.

In Zelda I feel like if you don't get all the Heart pieces you're missing a sizeable chunk of the game, since you get most of them through sidequests or in minigames.

sdp
01-11-2016, 06:32 PM
My problem with me beating games is that if a long enough time has passed I don't like to continue where I left off but start all over again. It's probably a bad habit but if I don't remember exactly what I did or where I was supposed to go I just prefer to start over instead of looking online.

I mentioned this in another thread but I just can't deal with long RPGs anymore unless I grew up with them or even games that pad out the gameplay with side quests/collectables/etc just to have the XX+ hours of gameplay on the back of the box. Long for the sake of long has been a trend in videogames for a long time now.

But that's just me growing old, when I was a kid I had all the time to collect all the Stars or musical notes on video games and unlock everything and loved it when games were filled with stuff. Then again I also only get a video game a few times a year so I made sure I got the most out of it. Time + Scarcity= many games that were finished completely now I don't have time and I have too many games.

PangolinFeets
01-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Same. I have almost no time for video games anymore. I actually just took to watching all the Metal Gear Solids as a movie on youtube.

I stopped buying games for the most part because I was getting such a pile, but I compiled a big list of all the games I haven't completed and made a list of the ones I wanted to beat first just to have a system to get through them eventually. Now when I have time I pick one up and put a few hours in. That's how I finally beat Skyward Sword after all this time. XD

But I always go back to my favs or games I can play with my friends. Like right now, I'm playing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles again with my buds.

shuriken
01-12-2016, 12:06 AM
only mentioning games I own and play.
Haven't beaten God of War, started playing it and got to the underwater parts and just stopped playing it.
Stryder-For the Genesis I get to Mao and he just kills me. It's the most frustrating boss fight because there is like no real pattern to beat the sonovabitch.
Super Mario Brothers-Just kinda get bored with it. I dunno. Beaten 2 and 3 though.
X-Men 1 and 2 for Genesis- Some really tough games. Don't think I've ever made past level 4 in part 2. I've made it to Asteroid M in the first one but that's it.
Sly Cooper- Just sort of lost interest in it after getting through about half of the game.
Sonic 3-I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I love playing it for like 10 minutes then the constant deaths makes me hate it. Beaten the first 2 though

Allio
01-12-2016, 07:26 AM
let's see, games I have started but not completed

-Kingdom Hearts (I am trying to get as many of the strong weapons I can before I face the final boss)
-Epic Mickey 2
-Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse
-Darksiders (which I am currently playing)
-hyper Dimension Neptunia
-Phoenix Wright
-Transformers fall of Cybertron
-The Callling
-Pokemon Diamond
-Pokemon Omega Ruby
-Silent Hill

Wingnut
01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Everything SNK has ever made :lol:

In the now, chalk up another to Shovel Knight.

Prowler
01-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Everything SNK has ever made :lol:

In the now, chalk up another to Shovel Knight.

Ugh good shout. I'm yet to beat KoF 94 and Neo Geo battle Colliseum. Never attempted to beat Kof 98 or 2002 because I've only played them online with other people.

Icebot
01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
For me I have played but not yet beaten:

Donkey Kong Country for SNES
Avatar The Burning Earth for Wii (almost there though)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii
Avatar The Last Airbender (book 1) for DS and GameCube
The Legend of Korra for 3DS
Final Fight for SNES
Sonic CD
Ninja Gaiden Shadow for Game Boy

Prowler
01-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Oh man, I forgot about the original Legend of Zelda. And it's not because I struggle with it much, but because I stopped playing it midway through one day and never picked it up again