PDA

View Full Version : Favorite gamepads/controllers?

Prowler
01-16-2016, 02:19 PM
I'll go for Dualshock 2 being my all time favorite. I find its design both aesthetically pleasing and pretty comfortable. I also liked Sega Saturn's controller a lot.

Then there's GameCube's wave bird and SNES' controller which were both pretty cool. And I liked how NES' controller was so thick that it'd never break. I've have my NES controllers since like forever and they still work perfectly. :lol:

What about you?

DarkFell
01-16-2016, 02:26 PM
For a time I was totally into the old Sega Genesis controllers, then I took to the PS2 controllers after a small amount of practice.

Let's just say that I had to get "readjusted" back to playing with the Genesis controllers again when I went back to playing with my old Genesis.

A nod goes to one of the old MadKatz controllers that I used to own - with it I could speed up my characters, and I could even use it to slow down the BGM within the game.

Etsyturtle2
01-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Nes, for its simplicity, and controls. Wii u for the controller screen, separate volume, multiple controls, tv remote, headphone jack, size, and sleekness.

Powder
01-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Wii u for the controller screen, separate volume, multiple controls, tv remote, headphone jack, size, and sleekness.

I couldn't care less about all that extra flare. I'm fine with an SNES controller.

sdp
01-16-2016, 04:35 PM
I like the N64 controller but people usually list that one as one of the "worst", of course the D-Pad is terrible. The DS "controller" or whatever you'd call it is great.

Candy Kappa
01-16-2016, 04:41 PM
The GameCube controller is my favorite.

WiiU and 360 are good second runners.

Prowler
01-16-2016, 04:51 PM
I like the N64 controller but people usually list that one as one of the "worst", of course the D-Pad is terrible. The DS "controller" or whatever you'd call it is great.
N64's controller was revolutionary for its time, so I'd never call it one of the "worst".

A controller I didn't like from a major console... original Xbox's perhaps. Only played that console couple of times but the controller was too bulky.

Etsyturtle2
01-16-2016, 04:53 PM
I couldn't care less about all that extra flare. I'm fine with an SNES controller.

It's supposed to be just couldn't. Also, you and others have stated that it is not funny, so why do you use it?
I couldn't care less about your attempts to make fun of me.

PangolinFeets
01-16-2016, 04:55 PM
I'll go for Dualshock 2 being my all time favorite. I find its design both aesthetically pleasing and pretty comfortable. I also liked Sega Saturn's controller a lot.

Then there's GameCube's wave bird and SNES' controller which were both pretty cool. And I liked how NES' controller was so thick that it'd never break. I've have my NES controllers since like forever and they still work perfectly. :lol:

What about you?

There's a reason the design has barely changed in over 20 years. Dualshock is pretty perfect.

I actually really love handhelds so Wii-U is now my fav. A controller that allows me to transfer my games to a handheld and play in my bed or take the game with me to get a drink is amazing.

Powder
01-16-2016, 04:56 PM
It's supposed to be just couldn't. Also, you and others have stated that it is not funny, so why do you use it?
I couldn't care less about your attempts to make fun of me.

I couldn't care less about your corrections.

GoldMutant
01-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Powder vs Esty, finally a match I can commentate on! Who's got a camera or microphone for commentary? :lol:

Might be my nostalgia talking, but I've always liked the PS2 controller and the NES controller; otherwise, even though I'm not big on them the Xbox controllers are very comfortable for me personally.

Mew
01-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Powder, the sarcastic artist VS. EtsyTurtle2, the rapper with flare!
FIGHT!

Cure
01-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Let's not make it a bigger deal than it is.

I guess my favorite is the 360. Super comfy.

The Deadman
01-16-2016, 06:01 PM
The Genesis, Gamecube and Wii U controller are my personal preferences.

DarkFell
01-16-2016, 06:17 PM
The N64 controller might take some getting used to, but it also handles well for a controller. I used to love playing OoT, Gauntlet Legends, and Rampage World Tour on my old N64 console before it died.. :tsad:

Etsyturtle2
01-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Mew: Rapper. What? Just what?

And powder, I couldn't care less about the amount of caring you currently have for my posts.

I also lime the super famicom Controller. Vibrant colors.

Redeemer
01-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Favorite controller would have to be xbox 360. The controller fit the hands perfectly and the ability to switch back and forth between the joy stick and d-pad was a breeze.

Worse would be the original PS3 controller the "Boomer-Rang" controller.
Who ever made the controller was high as hell. lol thankfully Playstation dropped the design when the fans outraged.

The Deadman
01-16-2016, 07:42 PM

The worst controllers are by far the original Xbox and the Dreamcast ones

Powder
01-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Mew: Rapper. What? Just what?

And powder, I couldn't care less about the amount of caring you currently have for my posts.

I also lime the super famicom Controller. Vibrant colors.

How much less care could a care bear stress if a care bear could care less?

oldmanwinters
01-16-2016, 09:03 PM
I know a lot of people hated the official Dreamcast controller for its relatively small buttons and putting the cord at the bottom of the thing, but I always loved the way it felt in my hands. The big trigger grips and the analog trigger buttons... good times. Plus, it was the first controller I can remember that introduced the 2nd screen concept, even if I almost never looked at it while playing.

Ninjinister
01-16-2016, 10:51 PM
I do love the Wii U's "I can have the console in my living room but play it in bed" appeal.. but it's pretty giant and cumbersome.

I would have to go with the DualShock line as my favorite though. Even though I own all of the Xboxeseses... none of those controllers feel right to me.

ProactiveMan
01-17-2016, 03:14 AM
I like the Dual Shock 4.

Wesley
01-17-2016, 01:33 PM
My favourite is the GameCube controller. It feels great in my hands and I like that it can be used to play Virtual Console games on the Wii.

AT-Man
01-17-2016, 03:23 PM
PS4 controller has wiped the floor with all the others so far.

oldmanwinters
01-17-2016, 08:07 PM
I do love the Wii U's "I can have the console in my living room but play it in bed" appeal.. but it's pretty giant and cumbersome.

I would have to go with the DualShock line as my favorite though. Even though I own all of the Xboxeseses... none of those controllers feel right to me.

Yeah, for whatever reason, playing the Wii U gamepad at length makes my hands a little numb. Just not much room for finger placement on the grips. I definitely go to the Pro Controller for extended play.

chrisdude
01-18-2016, 06:04 PM
I didn't think they could improve on the DualShock, aside from concave triggers, but, lo and behold, I think the DualShock 4 feels even better in the hands. It's definitely my favorite.

The Wii U GamePad is a lot more comfortable than I expected, but, at length, it makes my hands tired.

I've never likes the Xbox's face buttons, but I have to give the Xbox One credit for its awesome Dpad. I'll be able to play Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 at my friend's place without getting pissed off.

Honorable mention for SNES, for introducing the basic button layout everyone still uses.

Casey
01-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Idk why since they are horrible shaped, but I still am obsessed with the NES controller. I think SNES had the better feel obviously, but you can't beat the simplicity and beauty of an NES controller.

Prowler
01-19-2016, 09:03 AM
I didn't think they could improve on the DualShock, aside from concave triggers, but, lo and behold, I think the DualShock 4 feels even better in the hands. It's definitely my favorite.

The Wii U GamePad is a lot more comfortable than I expected, but, at length, it makes my hands tired.

I've never likes the Xbox's face buttons, but I have to give the Xbox One credit for its awesome Dpad. I'll be able to play Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 at my friend's place without getting pissed off.

Honorable mention for SNES, for introducing the basic button layout everyone still uses.
I've tried Dualshock 4 at an electronics store for a few minutes once. I did like it, but I'd need to spend more time playing with it.

What makes me like Dualshock 2 is being able to play PS2 all day long and not have my hands hurt at the end of the day. As good as SNES controller was, it makes your hands hurt if you play for hours.

Also, what about PC gamepads such as logitech, etc? No one mentions those? I use Logitech Wireless F710. It's a pain when the batteries suddenly die midway through an online SF USFIV match, though...

Etsyturtle2
01-19-2016, 10:54 AM
How much less care could a care bear stress if a care bear could care less?

Unless Mr. Care bear tells us, I can't answer that question. I couldn't care less about toungue twisters and riddles.

oldmanwinters
01-19-2016, 11:25 AM
One thing I hated about the SNES controller was the placement of the L trigger button. When playing a fighter like Street Fighter II, there was no way for my to time that L trigger as a part of any d-pad combo, so it pretty much eliminated the possibility of me pulling off a Fierce combo with any modicum of consistency. As weird as it sounds, given the choice between the two of them for a fighting game, I'd rather try my luck with a 3-button Genesis controller that forced me to alternate punches and kicks with the Start button.

Prowler
01-19-2016, 12:20 PM
One thing I hated about the SNES controller was the placement of the L trigger button. When playing a fighter like Street Fighter II, there was no way for my to time that L trigger as a part of any d-pad combo, so it pretty much eliminated the possibility of me pulling off a Fierce combo with any modicum of consistency. As weird as it sounds, given the choice between the two of them for a fighting game, I'd rather try my luck with a 3-button Genesis controller that forced me to alternate punches and kicks with the Start button.
Genesis had a 6-button controller for fighters, though. It was already in the market by the time the first Mortal Kombat game and Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition came out.

ProactiveMan
01-19-2016, 07:58 PM

I've always liked the SNES controller, but it's a little frustrating to me nowadays for some reason. It's fine for two button platformers, but there's something kind of awkward about it for fighting games. It may be just that my hands are too big for it.

Leo656
01-19-2016, 08:55 PM
I couldn't care less

I will give you a f*cking dollar to knock that sh*t off right now, forever.

Powder
01-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Why don't you just knock him off? Put those wrasslin' moves to use, guy. :trazz:

Leo656
01-19-2016, 09:51 PM
I think etsy's a kid. I'll draw the line at swearing at a child, but only occasionally will I strike one.

Bry
01-19-2016, 10:06 PM
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/86/10/static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/7465/968375-n64_controller.jpg

COME AT ME

...seriously though, I do have a lot of fondness for the N64 controller, I still find it very (weirdly?) natural to use, but it's not my favourite.

SNES for classic. It's perfection.

Prrrrobably DualShock for modern. There's a reason it hasn't changed much since it debuted. The GameCube controller/Wii U Battle Pad is a very close second.

Leo656
01-19-2016, 10:15 PM
My thing with N64 and GameCube controllers, is that they're terrific for games that are made to be played with them, but less-great for some other games. Like they're kind of crummy for fighting games. Which makes no difference if you don't play them, obviously, but still. Regardless, they're both fine by me, I was just sayin'.

I kinda like the PS3's DualShock, how light it is. I just hate that the cord for it is so short; every time I need to charge my controller I have to sit like a foot away from the TV if I want to keep playing. :trazz:

I may have actually handled the Xbox 360 controller more than anything, but I've got some problems with it. The A buttons seem to consistently wear out quickly, sometimes the left analog stick, too. I've got like 3 controllers and none of them work quite right anymore. Granted, they all get a ton of play, but so do/did my GameCube and PS2/PS3 controllers and they never wore out like that.

Zak The Neutrino
01-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Xbox 360 controllers following closely by Gamecube.

I can't stand Sony's dual shock controllers because the analog sticks are too close together.

Etsyturtle2
01-20-2016, 05:34 AM
N64 controller looks like a stupid aliens coinpurse.

Will that dollar be cash or check? Can I keep the care thing in my signature?

Shark_Blade
01-20-2016, 05:41 AM
PS4's.

I despise Wii's nunchucks.

Peanut
01-20-2016, 08:01 AM
GameCube is my all-time favorite, but these days it's a toss up between the ds4 and the X1. X1 would easily take it if not for the sh*t clicky bumpers. I find they both work better for different games.

Also, I think a lot of people overlook how good the Wii U Pro controller is. I love that thing, but it isn't often I get a chance to use it.

Prowler
01-20-2016, 12:09 PM
My thing with N64 and GameCube controllers, is that they're terrific for games that are made to be played with them, but less-great for some other games. Like they're kind of crummy for fighting games. Which makes no difference if you don't play them, obviously, but still. Regardless, they're both fine by me, I was just sayin'.

I kinda like the PS3's DualShock, how light it is. I just hate that the cord for it is so short; every time I need to charge my controller I have to sit like a foot away from the TV if I want to keep playing. :trazz:

I may have actually handled the Xbox 360 controller more than anything, but I've got some problems with it. The A buttons seem to consistently wear out quickly, sometimes the left analog stick, too. I've got like 3 controllers and none of them work quite right anymore. Granted, they all get a ton of play, but so do/did my GameCube and PS2/PS3 controllers and they never wore out like that.
I have two PS2 controllers, and each have a shoulder button that no longer works, L1.

Bry
01-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Also, I think a lot of people overlook how good the Wii U Pro controller is. I love that thing, but it isn't often I get a chance to use it.

Can't say I've had a chance to use it, actually. But this version is... pretty damned tempting:

https://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/f3a7_pro_controller_u_for_wii_and_wii_u.jpg

chrisdude
01-21-2016, 06:39 PM
GameCube is my all-time favorite, but these days it's a toss up between the ds4 and the X1. X1 would easily take it if not for the sh*t clicky bumpers. I find they both work better for different games.

Also, I think a lot of people overlook how good the Wii U Pro controller is. I love that thing, but it isn't often I get a chance to use it.I use the Pro controller for Smash Bros. My friends think I'm crazy, but I really don't get the obsession with the GameCube controller. And I have Smash Bros on GameCube.

Prowler
01-21-2016, 06:57 PM

GC's controller definitely isn't suited for traditional 2d fighters. The GC version of Capcom vs. SNK 2 is not as good as the PS2 version for this reason.

oldmanwinters
01-21-2016, 07:14 PM
My thing with N64 and GameCube controllers, is that they're terrific for games that are made to be played with them, but less-great for some other games.

I can concur. Playing Mario Sunshine (not among my fave Mario games at all, btw) on the GC controller is a pleasurable experience because it just fits the game's design perfectly.

The N64 controller was clearly built for Mario 64 first, but I have long despised it for the primary reason that almost every game I've played makes no usage of the traditional d-pad, one of Nintendo's patented design treasures. It's shocking that most games don't even allow players the option of navigating game menus with the pad. I can't execute any small precision movements with that stupid thumb stick. And because of that, I always have to hold the controller with my left hand in the middle, throwing my whole posture off balance.

Chalk it up to the genius of Nintendo and their 1st party developers. I suppose it's both a gift and a curse, as they design the controller for their games and expect their developers to program accordingly. Yet, third party developers almost never succeed at optimizing the potential of the design, try as they might.

Quite right. I love the Pro Controller. I do wish Nintendo allowed it to be a full-fledged replacement option for the Gamepad (why do I really need to go to the gamepad to turn the system fully on or comment on a Mario Maker course?)

Prowler
01-22-2016, 12:54 PM
It's been ages since I've played N64 games on the console itself, so it's also been ages since I've picked up N64's controller, but it was perfect for platforming games like Mario 64 and Rare's classics and ofc Ocarina of Time. Plus, Mario 64 has aged quite well gameplay wise, so I could never complain about N64's controller.

TheCanadiandrome
03-11-2016, 01:27 PM
N64 controller I've always liked; dual shock 4 is pretty good as is the Xbox One controller; I liked the original Xbox controller as well; game cube controller was kinda neat