PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Superbowl Trailer

Pages : [1] 2 3

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 06:40 PM
That was.... quick... I was expecting it to be shown during halftime, but if I didn't hear the line about ninjas, I wouldn't have turned my attention towards the TV and missed it completely. It did show Krang though, but I am disappointed that I still didn't hear Sheamusteady speak. Fella.

Matt2310
02-07-2016, 06:40 PM
krang looks pretty good

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 06:41 PM
For better or for worse, he looked exactly like the new toy and we actually got to see the actual 'brain Krang' too, not just the robot. I guess Krang is going to replace Shredder as the new CGI robot to fight?

MsMarvelDuckie
02-07-2016, 06:44 PM
ROFLMFAO at Raph's face in that last clip! So that's our first look at Krang...? Very- interesting. And um, I think Leo is the only ine who "gets" the definition of "ninja".

Sighphi
02-07-2016, 06:44 PM
I guess Krang is going to replace Shredder as the new CGI robot to fight?

Yeah, for a second i thought, "Oh, cool Krang!" But then i saw that they were on top of a high place all fighting him alone.

They need to come up with a new last boss fight.

Slimer Joel
02-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Looks pretty great! I'm excited for Krang, have a feeling his human body will be more of a disguise than how it was in the original cartoon.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Yeah, for a second i thought, "Oh, cool Krang!" But then i saw that they were on top of a high place all fighting him alone.

They need to come up with a new last boss fight.

But then they'd have to spend more money.

And have talent or creativity.

d_osborn
02-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Was that Knoxville as Leo?

Leo656
02-07-2016, 06:51 PM
How many threads for this?

Sighphi
02-07-2016, 06:53 PM

i see one.

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 06:56 PM

I figure this was warranted cause they aired the commercial like... just now. I hate threads about some show or movie where there's like 10+ pages of speculation before we actually get to posts about the actual thing in question. IMO we need two kinds of threads for things like this. One for the upcoming annoucements/speculations/whatever, and one for when the actual thing airs.

I doubt Krang is gonna use a disguise. That's just a big CGI monster robot plain and simple. And in the old cartoon Krang never walked around trying to pass off that robot suit as a human disguise.

Zulithe
Looking good!

Leo656
i see one.

There's FOUR simultaneous discussions going on about it in this section. What're you, high?

I don't blame Coola, he's not on much. Plus he's a good egg! But geez.

Vicky82
02-07-2016, 06:59 PM
OMG!!!!! so hyped, i'm glad I stayed up, it was worth it. :D

Galactus
02-07-2016, 07:00 PM
UURRGH

The part were Raphael smacks against the wind shield of the plane like a ****ing wile coyote cartoon complete with his tongue sticking out and slowly peeling off is garbage. Even the dumbest episode of the Fred Wolf show wouldn't pull that ****..

Oh and the turtle van has mechanical arm grabbers just like the various versions of the turtles vehicles have never had and I suppose the takeaway is that turtles aren't actually good at being ninjas which is a great message to send out for a movie about martial arts action heroes.

There was literally nothing good about this and that includes the ultra smooth cartoony Krang. Without hyperbole this trailer has got to be one of the worst advertisement for anything TMNT EVER. Even with everything else this movie series has pulled I'm shocked they are actually going so far in this direction.

Sighphi
02-07-2016, 07:05 PM
There's FOUR simultaneous discussions going on about it in this section. What're you, high?

I don't blame Coola, he's not on much. Plus he's a good egg! But geez.

Oh, people are using the other trailer threads for this.

MrTMNT2012
02-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Looks like the greatest Ninja Turtles movie ever! This and the new IDW Game are bringing the hype back for me. :)

Sabacooza
02-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Way too freaking cartoonish. Raph smashing into the plane was like something straight out of a Loonie Toons cartoon.

2K3
02-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Mikey's reaction to Krang and braking part of the Turtle-Van is PRICELESS!

Ninjinister
02-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Even the dumbest episode of the Fred Wolf show.

Might wanna finish your thought there mate.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:11 PM
UURRGH

The part were Raphael smacks against the wind shield of the plane like a ****ing wile coyote cartoon complete with his tongue sticking out and slowly peeling off is garbage. Even the dumbest episode of the Fred Wolf show.

Oh and the turtle van has mechanical arm grabbers just like the various versions of the turtles vehicles have never had and I suppose the takeaway is that turtles aren't actually good at being ninjas which is a great message to send out for a movie about martial arts action heroes.

There was literally nothing good about this and that includes the ultra smooth cartoony Krang. Without hyperbole this trailer has got to be one of the worst advertisement for anything TMNT EVER. Even with everything else this movie series has pulled I'm shocked they are actually going so far in this direction.

It's dog sh*t. Like I said, everyone's mind was made up a year ago already, these trailers do nothing but reinforce what everyone already feels.

*I* feel this is the absolute wrong way to handle this franchise. Profitable in the short-term, catastrophic in ten years when you need to reinvent the movie franchise as something even half-serious. "You just spent three movies (you know it's coming) and a billion dollars telling us how explicitly campy and stupid this property is and how it only works as vapid, hollow nonsense like Transformers! Now you want us to swallow a 'gritty reboot'? No way! It's just Stupid Fun For Kids, you said so yourselves, insistently!" :roll:

This film series single-handedly undoes every bit of evolution and growth the brand has had in the last 25 years, and it's disgusting. Things had come so far since the old cartoon. TMNT is so much bigger than the Fred Wolf cartoon, or a stupid action figure line...

...But no it's not. SEE? As far as the "mainstream" is concerned, TMNT is Stupid. It HAS to be stupid. I HATE that line of belief, and I hate that "fans" encourage it by spending money on these movies that are so goddamn bad it's offensive.

It's tragic.

Cure
02-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Yooo that trailer was a club banger. Really cool seeing what Krang and the Technodrome look like.

ranger_scout
02-07-2016, 07:14 PM
That was short but fun! I really like that Krang looked very similar to the original cartoon.

sdp
02-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Krang and the Android body looked great. This trailer wasn't as fun but who cares. And everyone is in love with this trailer just like the last one, guess it shows casual fans all they wanted is a "movie" version of the OT, something I said dozens of times here and was always told no one would watch that.

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 07:20 PM
I kinda feel the Secret of the Ooze made a major screw up for not having Bebop and Rocksteady in it, Laird and Eastman be damned. This movie, no matter how much it sucks will always be regarded as some sort of holy grail because Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang and the Technodrome are all in it. Any arguement will be kicked to the curb due to the fact that the original trilogy never had Krang or the Technodrome and wasted time with Tokka, Rahzar and Vanilla Ice.

Anyways, I'm very disappointed by how blink-and-you-miss-it short this trailer was. It was hyped for the Superbowl, wasn't even aired during Half Time. After it ended I had a sense of 'Ok.... so where is the real Superbowl trailer...'

I don't know, I guess I was expecting it to be as long as the first one, like showing mostly scenes of the first one, but capitilizing with Krang and the new stuff we saw now. Plus I still want to hear Rocksteady Sheamus speak....

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 07:20 PM
People are raving about it on twitter. It feels like the turtles of our childhood. I like the comedy angle. It looks better than TMNT 3, TMNT 2014, and SOTO. I'm stoked.

chrisdude
02-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Krang and the Android body looked great. This trailer wasn't as fun but who cares. And everyone is in love with this trailer just like the last one, guess it shows casual fans all they wanted is a "movie" version of the OT, something I said dozens of times here and was always told no one would watch that.Yep. We got the Mirage movie, first time around. It was great. Let's have both.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Yep. We got the Mirage movie, first time around. It was great. Let's have both.

Yeah we got the Mirage movie in 1990. It's a tough act to follow.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 07:22 PM
People are raving about it on twitter. It feels like the turtles of our childhood. I like the comedy angle. It looks better than TMNT 3, TMNT 2014, and SOTO. I'm stoked.

This all sounds so familiar.

Like deja vu from...two or so years ago.

I wonder if the outcome will be exactly the same.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:23 PM
So... like I keep saying:

If someone is mentally STILL 8, they love this junk. Anyone with any amount of sophistication or taste who wants cartoons to be cartoons and movies to be, y'know, NOT cartoons, they think it's trash.

So why is it that people get angry when you point out that it's exactly what it is? You have to be a child or a man-child to like it. Why is that "mean" to say out loud?

Some of us grew up. Why can people never realize that not everything they liked when they were a kid was any good, it was good to them BECAUSE they were kids? Fred Wolf needs to stay where it was buried, not be the eternal goddamn model for everything else. F*ck that. 2/3s of that goddamn show was trash.

Zero f*cking objectivity anymore, anywhere.

TurtleTitan97
02-07-2016, 07:25 PM

I bet the farm it will end the same wham. With a small bang and whimper.

chrisdude
02-07-2016, 07:26 PM
I still watch the Fred Wolf cartoon...

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 07:26 PM

If someone is mentally STILL 8, they love this junk. Anyone with any amount of sophistication or taste who wants cartoons to be cartoons and movies to be, y'know, NOT cartoons, they think it's trash.

So why is it that people get angry when you point out that it's exactly what it is? You have to be a child or a man-child to like it. Why is that "mean" to say out loud?

Some of us grew up. Why can people never realize that not everything they liked when they were a kid was any good, it was good to them BECAUSE they were kids? Fred Wolf needs to stay where it was buried, not be the eternal goddamn model for everything else. F*ck that. 2/3s of that goddamn show was trash.

On a similar note... why wouldn't that 'airplane scene' work on an Avengers movie? Pretty much the same reason it wouldn't work here. Stuff like this keeps the Turtles from not even being in the same league as Civil War, Deadpool, BVS and Suicide Squad. It's a comic book hero movie.... and yet doesn't really feel like it.

d_osborn
02-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Some of us grew up.
You know, I think the exact same thing about wrestling. :lol: I loved the Hogan/Macho Man/Warrior-era. I'm not sure how people can stomach the new stuff. Different strokes, man.

I'm not arguing with you. It IS a cartoon. It IS bad. It's also a kids movie. More than likely, I'll have fun watching it. I also have excellent tastes in red wine and vintage lounge chairs, so I guess there's a little bit of sophistication there.

You know, I was fightin' mad after Indy 4 and X-Men 3. I guess for those movies, I expected them to be good. With this, I know exactly what I'm getting.

So honest question here, if you have zero interest in this current movie series, why keep spending time discussing it?

sethmartin

Maybe. Won't know until I see it.

Coola Yagami
I bet the farm it will end the same wham. With a small bang and whimper.

And with me being temp banned for voicing my opinion.

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Maybe. Won't know until I see it.

Oh dear friend, you kinda already have. Nowadays watching trailers is basically watching the whole movie. You only watch the movie anymore to connect the dots.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
You know, I think the exact same thing about wrestling. :lol:

So honest question here, if you have zero interest in this current movie series, why keep spending time discussing it?

Why do you keep spending time discussing something that looks like something you'd watch once and make fun of drunk with your friends?

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:29 PM
I still watch the Fred Wolf cartoon...

So do I, and I like SOME of it, but not enough to want to see ANYTHING like it outside of that specific version. It's NOT that good a show, we liked it because we were little and it was better than most of what else was on. It's certainly not worth raving about NOW, or modeling everything after NOW.

A throwback character here. A wink there. Fine. Smart. Don't take ALL the goddamn piss out of your own movie franchise to the point where you've reduced it to something even sillier than the original show. That's awful.

Also: Who mentioned f***ing wrestling in the first place, d? I actually do it, it's stupider than you think, only I have the right to say so because I'm involved and you're just trying to take shots at me for some reason because I pointed out how tragic this movie is. You've already said you're going to spend money on this sh*t, so you're officially part of the disease. You've no place to be taking swings at me, kid.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 07:29 PM
You know, I think the exact same thing about wrestling. :lol:

Because talking smack behind a computer screen and trying to ruin a good time is fun for some people. It's ninja turtles, dude.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Because talking smack behind a computer screen and trying to ruin a good time is fun for some people. It's ninja turtles, dude.

Crisler's Law!

Where's my bingo card...

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Oh dear friend, you kinda already have. Nowadays watching trailers is basically watching the whole movie. You only watch the movie anymore to connect the dots.

True. But they've only released a 2 1/2 minute trailer and a 30 second spot so far. Unlike Zack Snyder's Superfriends movie which has had so many trailers I DO feel like I've seen it.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 07:31 PM
On a similar note... why wouldn't that 'airplane scene' work on an Avengers movie? Pretty much the same reason it wouldn't work here. Stuff like this keeps the Turtles from not even being in the same league as Civil War, Deadpool, BVS and Suicide Squad. It's a comic book hero movie.... and yet doesn't really feel like it.

Exactly. They've turned Ninja Turtles into Minions.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-07-2016, 07:32 PM

Because it makes us sad to see the Turtles being used like this. Like a blatant cash-grab, with no real intention of making something that will have lasting impact on any scale. People remember the 1990 film. People will not remember this film or its predecessor.

snake
Alright trailer. There's really nothing that can convince me that this will be any better than my first impression from the first trailer. Seeing krang was cool.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy

Exhibit A: Crisler's Law in action.

Papenbrook
Fred Wolf needs to stay where it was buried, not be the eternal goddamn model for everything else. F*ck that. 2/3s of that goddamn show was trash.

Agreed. However, if Fred Wolf were to become infamous, what version of TMNT would replace it? What would be the new model for the franchise?

Bry
02-07-2016, 07:33 PM
*I* feel this is the absolute wrong way to handle this franchise. Profitable in the short-term, catastrophic in ten years when you need to reinvent the movie franchise as something even half-serious. "You just spent three movies (you know it's coming) and a billion dollars telling us how explicitly campy and stupid this property is and how it only works as vapid, hollow nonsense like Transformers! Now you want us to swallow a 'gritty reboot'? No way! It's just Stupid Fun For Kids, you said so yourselves, insistently!" :roll:

This film series single-handedly undoes every bit of evolution and growth the brand has had in the last 25 years, and it's disgusting. Things had come so far since the old cartoon. TMNT is so much bigger than the Fred Wolf cartoon, or a stupid action figure line...

...But no it's not. SEE? As far as the "mainstream" is concerned, TMNT is Stupid. It HAS to be stupid. I HATE that line of belief, and I hate that "fans" encourage it by spending money on these movies that are so goddamn bad it's offensive.

It's tragic.

Nothing much to add here. Just depression. :trazz:

The appeal of the stupid/campy take is short-lived. We've seen this. Batman '66 lasted three seasons and nobody in the mainstream was able to take the character seriously again for 20 years. "Turtlemania" burnt out before the Power Rangers arrived on the scene, and the results of that basically tanked the franchise for a full decade. If the entire appeal of the property is being a dumb joke, then there's nothing left once the joke's been told enough times for its audience to get bored. If you don't build characters, a story, and a world worth investing in in a "deeper" way than that, they'll be forgotten about completely the minute a new shiny franchise manages to steal their thunder. And they won't come back for a long, long time, if they do at all.

That's what these movies are doing. They're lining Michael Bay's pockets, but they're actively killing the future of the property.

What's the old expression? "Fool me once, shame on you..."

TurtleTitan97
Because it makes us sad to see the Turtles being used like this. Like a blatant cash-grab, with no real intention of making something that will have lasting impact on any scale. People remember the 1990 film. People will not remember this film or its predecessor.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Nicely put, 939.

Commenter 42
Batman and Superman suck, TMNT sucks, this whole GD generation sucks.

thundermaster612
02-07-2016, 07:34 PM
it looks like Shredder's going to be like Sachs role in the 2014 movie, the turtles fight the main boss (Krang) while the other guys (Casey, April, and Vern) take on the side villain (who could be Shredhead)
I'd prefer a Shredder and Krang vs Turtles, y'know a little teamup like in the OT except less goofy

sethmartin
"Crisler's law" haha. I can't believe that's actually a term. Some of you really need to go out and talk to girls. :lol:

Leo656

Yep.

Also, since it got buried in all the people taking shots at me. :roll:

Also: Who mentioned f***ing wrestling in the first place, d? I actually do it, it's stupider than you think, only I have the right to say so because I'm involved and you're just trying to take shots at me for some reason because I pointed out how tragic this movie is. You've already said you're going to spend money on this sh*t, so you're officially part of the disease. You've no place to be taking swings at me, kid.

And once again, look who's taking cheap shots in the first place: People who like the movie, because they can't handle people NOT liking it. Go figure.

How about YOU leave, since I and a lot of others were here first? Why don't you go hang out in your little Private group if the "meanies" bother you so much?

TMNT fans deserve better than this movie. Sorry if you like it. No, really, i'm sorry that you'll settle for anything at all. We all deserve better. We'll never get it, though, not while kids like you will suck up any damn thing. Don't act like I'm the problem, if anything you are.

thundermaster612
02-07-2016, 07:35 PM

it probably will my friend....it probably will...

slingtheory
02-07-2016, 07:35 PM
It's dog sh*t. Like I said, everyone's mind was made up a year ago already, these trailers do nothing but reinforce what everyone already feels.

It's tragic.

I gotta agree with you there leo. That's why this stings to me. That's why I have so much trouble letting it go. As much as I keep trying to ignore it I swear this movie series feels like an affront to my fandom sometimes. Tmnt is so much bigger than the original cartoon. There's so much more depth to be found in its characters, more emotions in its story telling and over the past decade and some change learning that and watching talented people craft memorable stories with it made me love these characters all over again. Made me proud to be a fan. Then this film series comes along and it's like I'm being slapped in the face that in the eyes of the main stream the turtles will never be seen as anything more than kids stuff. Never taken seriously as a concept or a comic book property and that really sucks

DioLeo451
02-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Cool but I want to see more Bebop and Rocksteady and Shredders mask for christ sake

Coola Yagami
Agreed. However, if Fred Wolf were to become infamous, what version of TMNT would replace it? What would be the new model for the franchise?

A mix between Mirage and the OT while keeping the OT to a mininum? At least in the sense of classic Shredder, actual Foot Ninjas and a Karai that isn't wallpaper? I mean, a straight up martial arts action movie with today's choreography would kick all sorts of ass. Toss in Bebop and Rocksteady and we got it made.

Hell, the first movie in the 90's didn't swing too much in either direction. It was basically the 80's Turtles and News Reporter April facing the Mirage Shredder and Foot.

The Turtles kinda work best when you pick from column A and B and so forth. Making it too much like one version limits the potential drastically, especially if it's going balls out OT.

TrickOrTreater
"Crisler's law" haha. I can't believe that's actually a term. Some of you really need to go out and talk to girls. :lol:

Texting my girlfriend as we speak. Also, for you:

http://i.imgur.com/3XC9Sep.gif

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:37 PM

Aaaaand we have a "People who want a good movie are virgins" card, in play. :roll:

Why are the "positive" people consistently insufferable AND completely lacking in self-awareness? Seriously.

TheSkeletonMan939
All movies are made ultimately to make money, but oftentimes the people involved at least want to make it good. People are paying to see your movie; don't you want to do a good job? Don't you want to reward them for paying for their ticket and spending two hours of their life watching YOUR WORK?

This film is made to take your money, and it ignores that second part I mentioned. It's like paying full price for a glitchy, poorly-made video game. You would return that sh!t to GameStop, wouldn't you? You can't refund a movie ticket and that's something Platinum Dunes is taking full advantage of. And it makes me upset that the TMNT are being used as the bait for this scheme.

Bry

Some of us are married.

But yeah, cool, play the "go talk to girls" card to dismiss peoples' points and opinions. I forgot that we were living in a ****** '80s college movie.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:38 PM
I gotta agree with you there leo. That's why this stings to me. That's why I have so much trouble letting it go. As much as I keep trying to ignore it I swear this movie series feels like an affront to my fandom sometimes. Tmnt is so much bigger than the original cartoon. There's so much more depth to be found in its characters, more emotions in its story telling and over the past decade and some change learning that and watching talented people craft memorable stories with it made me love these characters all over again. Made me proud to be a fan. Then this film series comes along and it's like I'm being slapped in the face that in the eyes of the main stream the turtles will never be seen as anything more than kids stuff. Never taken seriously as a concept or a comic book property and that really sucks

No, but see, you're stupid for caring. Don't you get it? We're stupid nerds who need to get laid because we want a movie that isn't trash.

Just listen to the "Shiny Happy People", they'll tell you all about it.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Aww. I think I made a few people cry. It'll be ok, guys. It's just a movie. :lol:

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Some of us are married.

But yeah, cool, play the "go talk to girls" card to dismiss peoples' points and opinions. I forgot that we were living in a ****** '80s college movie.

When bros get their dumb nostalgic bro movie, everybody wins!

http://static.huffingtonpsst.com/media/images/AP221115759268.focus-none.width-570.jpg

sethmartin
Some of us are married.

Don't think I was referring to you but sure believe what you would like.

d_osborn
Haha, no pot shots or swings, man. Just discussion. I see wrestling and TMNT as the same thing. it's stuff we all obviously dug when we were younger. Better or worse, it seems we both watch the current iterations of the stuff, even knowing how bad it is. Do you have fun watching modern wrestling? Even though you say it's "stupider than I think?" Why is that? Do you consider yourself part of some sort of disease plaguing the wrestling industry? I'm doubting it! You probably enjoy it, for better or worse! Same here.

This whole forum could come together and boycott this movie, and Paramount wouldn't feel it a bit.

I get the complaining and critiquing. What I don't get is the vitriol. Why are you guys so mad?! This will be here and gone. There is a laundry list of franchises that went to ****, then rebounded. Maybe the next iteration will be bad, maybe it won't. We live in a franchise world now. I'm guessing TMNT won't be this way for long. Calm down, dudes! We have a forum full of Raphaels here!

(Is this forum seriously censored? I saw a blow job discussion on here the other day.)

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Aww. I think I made a few people cry. It'll be ok, guys. It's just a movie. :lol:

Y'know, you just skyrocketed to the top of my "Forum members I'd Like To See Step On The Third Rail" list.

No, you're really just being obnoxious on purpose at this point. And we all know that if it comes down to a Bigger Prick contest between you and me, you ain't winnin'.

So settle down. YOU're the one who started slinging sh*t, sailor.

Bry
"Go talk to girls", "I made you cry". Oh man. Such fresh material. 1985 will never be the same after you, guy.

snake

EBIN JOKE XD!!!

You really got em there

Papenbrook
02-07-2016, 07:43 PM

So in other words, TMNT will become like the Sonic franchise?

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 07:43 PM
"Go talk to girls", "I made you cry". Oh man. Such fresh material. 1985 will never be the same after you, guy.

I feel like I'm in an AOL chatroom from 2003.

Foombamaroom
02-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Final fight of TMNT 1 includes:
-Big robot antagonist.
-High up, exterior location during the day.
-Turtles getting smacked around by big robot dude, who defies the laws of physics.

Final fight of TMNT 2 includes:
-Big robot antagonist.
-High up, exterior location during the day.
-Turtles getting smacked around by big robot dude, who defies the laws of physics.

I can't.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:44 PM
d: No, I do not enjoy watching modern wrestling, and my experience has soured me on even older stuff. It's a cesspool, people shouldn't watch it. It's trash and it makes people dumber. But I'm addicted to performing. That's pretty much every wrestler who isn't on TV. Nothing but contempt for the business, but the allure of the crowd is narcotic.

snake
02-07-2016, 07:46 PM
d: No, I do not enjoy watching modern wrestling, and my experience has soured me on even older stuff. It's a cesspool, people shouldn't watch it. It's trash and it makes people dumber. But I'm addicted to performing. That's pretty much every wrestler who isn't on TV. Nothing but contempt for the business, but the allure of the crowd is narcotic.

Do you visit r/squaredcircle? It actually helped me enjoy current WWE.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 07:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cap8wXnWIAEY5_B.jpg

d_osborn
02-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Okay, well... my point was incorrect then. :lol:

No offense meant for your stuff, man. Do you what you do!

I guess I've seen enough movies/shows/bands/games/etc be wrung through the corporate money machine so much and go to **** that it doesn't bother me any more.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-07-2016, 07:48 PM

It makes me cry that someone thinks that this film is a legitimately good thing. Stop acting like you're higher than us. Anyone who defends this film any more than saying it's a guilty pleasure is either lying to us or himself.

Still looks like Shrek. (http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/3296944182311695926/4433FC2BE335CBF75FA5C02DBCF3FB33BF43ED21/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C637:358&composite-to=*,*%7C637:358&background-color=black)

thundermaster612
02-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Cool but I want to see more Bebop and Rocksteady and Shredders mask for christ sake

check out the toy, it has his mask

Bry
02-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Don't think I was referring to you but sure believe what you would like.

I didn't say me specifically, though it does apply. A bunch of the folks talking are married or otherwise in long-term relationships. More than you might think.

What you said was dumb. It was a stupid, lazy '80s-movie-bully routine you used to dismiss people because you couldn't actually refute what they were saying. Ultimately we're all "nerds" here, right? We're all spending our time posting on a TMNT fan forum. So the "SHUT UP, NERD" angle is just about the most idiotic response you could use, considering. Next time try to be better than that.

Like you said, it's just a movie. So don't be a dick about it.

TurtleTitan97
02-07-2016, 07:50 PM

It's....so....ugly! Not to mention punchable.

thundermaster612
02-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Aaaaand we have a "People who want a good movie are virgins" card, in play. :roll:

Why are the "positive" people consistently insufferable AND completely lacking in self-awareness? Seriously.

that last part about positive people is so true...
I'm so happy to finally find out someone realizes how positive people are...
now I better kill myself cause I was positive...
sh*t

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Okay, well... my point was incorrect then. :lol:

No offense meant for your stuff, man. Do you what you do!

I guess I've seen enough movies/shows/bands/games/etc be wrung through the corporate money machine so much and go to **** that it doesn't bother me any more.

Lots of wrestlers lose their love. It's an inherently scummy business built on lies and bullsh*t. If you're not a dishonest person by nature, eventually all the lies and backstabbing and bullsh*t wears you down and you have to ask yourself what the point of it even is. And there really isn't one. The entire business could disappear and it would actually be a really good thing for the entire human race.

BUT it's fun to play-fight in front of bored drunks and their kids in bingo halls, so what can I say?

Snake: Nah. I barely look at any wrestling stuff online, period. Wrestling infuriates me, because I loved it my entire life and went through a lot of bullsh*t on account of it, and if I'd put that energy towards almost anything else I'd be much better off today. I don't like to be reminded of that. Unless I'm booked, or my wife is watching it, I can't handle wrestling anymore, I don't pay attention to it if I'm not involved.

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Let's try to keep the topic about the trailer (for better or for worse) and stop the personal attacks and name calling. I don't want the thread locked.

I'm still disappointed by how short it was. And not even shown during halftime.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-07-2016, 07:54 PM
I'm still disappointed by how short it was. And not even shown during halftime.

Halftime is for the good ads. :P

thundermaster612
02-07-2016, 07:57 PM
this thread has become a war zone, since we're in 1985 according to Bry I'll just go 'borrow' Doctor Who's Tardis and travel back to 2016 :tneutral:

Coola Yagami
Halftime is for the good ads. :P

Aaaaaah.... that's explains it. :lol:

TigerClaw
Here's the Technodrome and Krang.

http://i.imgur.com/oi3fuxh.gif

http://i.imgur.com/uvWldRu.gif

Leo656
It was shorter than I was expecting, but then again, I was surprised they spent the money on a Super Bowl ad in the first place, so maybe it wasn't a surprise.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 07:58 PM
I didn't say me specifically, though it does apply. A bunch of the folks talking are married or otherwise in long-term relationships. More than you might think.

What you said was dumb. It was a stupid, lazy '80s-movie-bully routine you used to dismiss people because you couldn't actually refute what they were saying. Ultimately we're all "nerds" here, right? We're all spending our time posting on a TMNT fan forum. So the "SHUT UP, NERD" angle is just about the most idiotic response you could use, considering. Next time try to be better than that.

Like you said, it's just a movie. So don't be a dick about it.

I was only referring to the term "Crisler's law" which I honestly had to look up and it made me laugh my ass off. Had nothing to do with people not liking the trailer. It was a dumb comment that warranted a dumb response. That's all.

ernesth100
02-07-2016, 07:58 PM
That SB Spot was perfect! Loved every minute of it. Except why did the Shell Raiser have robo arms?

Leo656
02-07-2016, 07:59 PM
"Every minute" of a 30-second trailer. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't just leave it hanging there. :trazz:

thundermaster612
WHAT THE SHELL?!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crisler's+Law

TheSkeletonMan939
Except why did the Shell Raiser have robo arms?

It's Michael Bay's motto: enough is never enough!

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 08:00 PM
this thread has become a war zone, since we're in 1985 according to Bry I'll just go 'borrow' Doctor Who's Tardis and travel back to 2016 :tneutral:

Eh... it's the same ol same ol. Most people see these movies as the crapfest cashgrabs they are.... and then the mindless followers that flock towards any piece of raw flesh that has the TMNT brand all over it like rabid zombies jump in to argue. You're not back on 1985. You're back in 2014 when the first Bay movie came out.

TrickOrTreater
I was only referring to the term "Crisler's law" which I honestly had to look up and it made me laugh my ass off. Had nothing to do with people not liking the trailer. It was a dumb comment that warranted a dumb response. That's all.

Yeah giving people a reason to call out Crisler's Law by saying "it's just ninja turtles" to excuse a movie that looks like garbage sure was a dumb comment.

snake
That SB Spot was perfect! Loved every minute of it. Except why did the Shell Raiser have robo arms?

How many minutes was it again? :P

TigerClaw
Anyone complaining that the Turtles are fighting Krang on top of a building may wanna look again, cause you can see they are all standing on top of the Technodrome.

Foombamaroom
02-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Anyone complaining that the Turtles are fighting Krang on top of a building may wanna look again, cause you can see they are all standing on top of the Technodrome.

They're still on a high up object with a robot that defies physics.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Shh. I think he still has one more thread left to say the exact same thing in. Don't mess up his f*cking roll. :roll:

NYShell
02-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Looks decent. Still setting my expectations even lower after the last fiasco.

chrisdude
02-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Live said before, I want to see the franchise taken seriously, too. Nothing about TMNT bars it from an iteration that can be appreciated and respected by the same diverse audience that Batman or The Avengers have. AND I can agree that every movie like this would set that day further back.

I get it.

But OT is the definitive version of TMNT, that's just the way the chips fell, and it has likely been too influential to other versions of TMNT for that the change.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 08:05 PM
It only has to stay that way if people let it.

Complacence is Curse.

We're not still watching Adam West or Schumacher Batman in 2016. We shouldn't be watching Fred Wolf TMNT in 2016 either. People get the interpretation they're willing to settle for.

"Our complaints do nothing!" Nonsense. Vote with your dollars. Batman & Robin tanked. Hollywood listens when they hear flushing toilets instead of cash registers. People just need to set standards and stick to them. "I will NOT accept this." Enough people do that, then things change.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Live said before, I want to see the franchise taken seriously, too. Nothing about TMNT bars it from an iteration that can be appreciated and respected by the same diverse audience that Batman or The Avengers have. AND I can agree that every movie like this would set that day further back.

I get it.

But OT is the definitive version of TMNT, that's just the way the chips fell, and it has likely been too influential to other versions of TMNT for that the change.

And for a long time Adam West Batman was the definitive version of Batman.

Look where we are now.

Just takes people to give a damn.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 08:09 PM
I find it nice when we say the exact same thing at the exact same time.

On my Earth they call me the Scarlet Speedster. What do they call you on yours? :trazz:

Papenbrook
02-07-2016, 08:10 PM

Complacence is Curse.

We're not still watching Adam West or Schumacher Batman in 2016. We shouldn't be watching Fred Wolf TMNT in 2016 either. People get the interpretation they're willing to settle for.

"Our complaints do nothing!" Nonsense. Vote with your dollars. Batman & Robin tanked. Hollywood listens when they hear flushing toilets instead of cash registers. People just need to set standards and stick to them. "I will NOT accept this." Enough people do that, then things change.

This is why I think the TMNT brand will end up like the Sonic franchise.

slingtheory
02-07-2016, 08:11 PM
So in other words, TMNT will become like the Sonic franchise?
God I hope not. I grew up with the sonic Saturday morning cartoon and the comic is what got me into reading comics in the first place. I collected it almost all the way to issue 100 so i know what you mean. But at least in sonics case it's like it came down to sega themselves not really knowing what to do with the character. With the turtles everything seemed like it was moving in a different direction away from the campy sillyness the brand was known for and into more mature territory. Even the the Nick turtles manage to play it straight and be more mature at times than I ever expected from them. It's like people had been trying to legitimize Eastman and liards original concept and blend that somewhat with most of the world remembered. But along comes platnum dunes to set them back 20 years

TheSkeletonMan939
02-07-2016, 08:11 PM

That's going to change. The kids who grew up on the OT have, well, grown up, and the only reason the OT is the 'definitive' version is because they're the ones who make up most of the fanbase.

Years from now, the Nick cartoon will be considered the 'definitive one' because that generation will know that iteration best. And the OT generation, from their wheelchairs, will shake their heads and remember their turtles as the better ones. That's the way the chips really fall. Or maybe shift is a better term.

Bry
02-07-2016, 08:12 PM
There was a lot of work, over many years, put into inching the property away from Fred Wolf and closer to its origins. And as far as I'm concerned, those efforts are the only reason that TMNT has become an "evergreen" property instead of a forgotten fad from the late '80s and early '90s. But right now, it seems like all of that effort's been flushed down the toilet so Michael Bay can buy some more sports cars. Long-term franchise-building tossed out over a short-term cash-in.

If you're satisfied with that, then that's fine. Enjoy. While it lasts. But don't complain if your favourite thing goes right back into deep freeze once people get tired of this take. It's happened before, remember.

If Fred Wolf nostalgia is all we're gonna get, then I'm done with it.

Coola Yagami
02-07-2016, 08:12 PM

Complacence is Curse.

YES! Exactly. Had Batman and Robin been a success, we would have gotten the planned sequel Batman Truimphant which most likely would have been just as campy.

But the people have spoken. They did NOT like it and the movie bombed so much the actors even regret having taken part. Batman was shelfvd until someone else (Nolan) grabbed it and made it serious again.

Who knows? MAYBE TMNT would be taken somewhat seriously if the first movie tanked and instead of getting a sequel to that we got something new.

IMO TMNT should be at the very least taken as seriously as the Marvel movies that still take the time to be funny. Yes, have serious situations and high stakes. Kinda like the Mirage comics the funny and jokes should be the simple fact that no matter how serious the movie is, the main character are talking turtles. Just roll with that, but don't go full 80's and let's see some seriousness too.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-07-2016, 08:15 PM
People like to put the 2007 movie down, and what amazes me is that I feel like THAT is the EPITOME of what a Ninja Turtles movie should be like. I don't mean the plot, no one cares about Max Winters or whoever, but I mean the dynamic between the turtles. It's not a comedy, it's a story about four freaks who really don't have anyone but each other. It's the comradeship of the turtles people really remember from the OT, not the humor.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 08:16 PM
I don't get why we can't have "a self-serious movie with comedic moments", rather than a flat-out bad comedy.

chrisdude
02-07-2016, 08:19 PM
That's going to change. The kids who grew up on the OT have, well, grown up, and the only reason the OT is the 'definitive' version is because they're the ones who make up most of the fanbase.

Years from now, the Nick cartoon will be considered the 'definitive one' because that generation will know that iteration best. And the OT generation, from their wheelchairs, will shake their heads and remember their turtles as the better ones. That's the way the chips really fall. Or maybe shift is a better term.Nick is better. IDW is better. But they've got Fred Wolf in their DNA.

There was a lot of work, over many years, put into inching the property away from Fred Wolf and closer to its origins. And as far as I'm concerned, those efforts are the only reason that TMNT has become an "evergreen" property instead of a forgotten fad from the late '80s and early '90s. But right now, it seems like all of that effort's been flushed down the toilet so Michael Bay can buy some more sports cars. Long-term franchise-building tossed out over a short-term cash-in.

If you're satisfied with that, then that's fine. Enjoy. While it lasts. But don't complain if your favourite thing goes right back into deep freeze once people get tired of this take. It's happened before, remember.

If Fred Wolf nostalgia is all we're gonna get, then I'm done with it.What, other than 4kids, tried to distance itself from OT?

TheSkeletonMan939
02-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Nick is better than OT. IDW is better. But they've got OT in their DNA.
Nick is better. IDW is better. But they've got Fred Wolf in their DNA.

No need to say it twice, lol. ;)

chrisdude
02-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Tried quoting two posts on mobile :)

Bry
02-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Nick is better. IDW is better. But they've got Fred Wolf in their DNA.

What, other than 4kids, tried to distance itself from OT?

I didn't say completely distance, necessarily. I said "away from Fred Wolf and closer to its origins". Meaning, embracing aspects of the Mirage comics and treating the characters and their world as more than pure comedy. Something with actual plots/stories, stakes, and deeper characterization. Which both of those series have done. As did the 4Kids show. And the 2007 movie.

I didn't say you can't use aspects of the Fred Wolf show at all. My problem is treating everything like a dumb/campy joke, like that show did, and like these movies are. That gets tired very, very quickly. And if that's all there is to it, then there's nothing to draw people in once the "fad" period dies off.

slingtheory
02-07-2016, 08:27 PM

Years from now, the Nick cartoon will be considered the 'definitive one' because that generation will know that iteration best. And the OT generation, from their wheelchairs, will shake their heads and remember their turtles as the better ones. That's the way the chips really fall. Or maybe shift is a better term.

Yep thats why people who were kids and teenagers in the late 80s still consider Keaton the definative batman despite the fact the he was a freaking murderer. And people who watched the Adam west show would still prefer it if bruce busted out a batusi every once in a while and sound effect bubbles popped up whenever he threw a punch. Change is constant. To change the publics perception of franchise all you have to do is care enough to try
Nick is better. IDW is better. But they've got Fred Wolf in their DNA. they've also got mirage and Archie and everything that turtles have been up until now. The point is the OT is not the foundation of tmnt it's just another brick

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 08:29 PM

I get it.

Yeah, it's what most people remember so it makes sense that they would take that route. We will see a serious take on it at some point. Maybe not a live action version anytime soon, but perhaps some good animated straight to VOD versions. The turtles aren't going anywhere. They've survived worse than this...much worse. So people can look at it one of three ways, get angry and complain, ignore it completely, or accept it for what it is and have fun with it. Right now, I'm having fun with it. It looks like a movie I can enjoy with the kids. Will it be a bad movie? Probably. However, it looks entertaining to me and I respect the fact that they seem to be at least trying to give us old school fans familiar territory instead of the weird, dark, gloomy, Transformer version that the last film turned out to be. I have a soft spot in my heart for silly, cheesy movies and these trailers make me feel like I'm watching a live action OT version which I enjoy. However, this film series won't last. They will exploit it as much as possible and then the franchise will be handed over to someone else for a different take (maybe better, maybe worse). It's happened time and time again and will continue to happen. When the 2014 movie came out, it had been 21 years since the last live action movie and that series was losing money. This time around, there's proof that turtle films can make major money. So they won't give up on it, and I doubt we will have to wait long for a new reboot.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 08:31 PM
People like to put the 2007 movie down, and what amazes me is that I feel like THAT is the EPITOME of what a Ninja Turtles movie should be like. I don't mean the plot, no one cares about Max Winters or whoever, but I mean the dynamic between the turtles. It's not a comedy, it's a story about four freaks who really don't have anyone but each other. It's the comradeship of the turtles people really remember from the OT, not the humor.

That movie, with familiar territory such as Shredder or Utroms would have been great. They nailed the tone but the plot was lacking. I still enjoy it though.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 08:34 PM
I find it nice when we say the exact same thing at the exact same time.

On my Earth they call me the Scarlet Speedster. What do they call you on yours? :trazz:

Blue Hedgehog! :tgrin:

Leolead
02-07-2016, 08:35 PM
After seeing the spot, I think i'm going to lower my expectations a little bit. Still looks really fun.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Blue Hedgehog! :tgrin:

You're on fire today. :lol:

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 08:39 PM
You're on fire today. :lol:

Way past cool! :tgrin:

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 08:41 PM
After seeing the spot, I think i'm going to lower my expectations a little bit. Still looks really fun.

My expectations were drastically lowered because of the last movie. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying this one more. It does look like fun.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Remember when fun movies could be good too?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Bry
02-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Remember when fun movies could be good too?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Why do you hate fun!? Just turn your brain off! Stop breathing until it completely shuts down! Be declared legally dead! Prop that corpse up in the theatre! Cowabunga!!

Leo656
02-07-2016, 08:48 PM
This year's also packed with Good-Fun movies, so the Bad-Fun ones are even less acceptable than usual.

You have 5 or 6 comic book movies standing up and shouting, "This is what it looks like when you Really Try." And then TMNT is all by itself, flapping his arms around saying, "This is what it looks like when you are not REQUIRED to try because your fans are happy with anything you deign to give them." It's shameful.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Why do you hate fun!? Just turn your brain off! Stop breathing until it completely shuts down! Be declared legally dead! Prop that corpse up in the theatre! Cowabunga!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j2h7mpDCM7c/T4YlkbZz63I/AAAAAAAACH0/xV4S5v8Ueao/s1600/Zombies%2BIn%2BTheater.JPG

Cowa-braaaaaains...

chrisdude
02-07-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't get this thing where fun =/= good. Or this idea that if a movie is silly, one must be some kind of simpleton to enjoy it. I'm sure I'll have a blast watching this and Civil War, but I don't need one to be the other, or to be enjoyable in the same way. If anything, the goofy fun stuff is dying off, and that bums me out. I like the The Dark Knight trilogy, I like Batman 66. Is one better? Maybe, but y'all wouldn't agree with me in which it is.

TrickOrTreater
02-07-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't get this thing where fun =/= good. Or this idea that if a movie is silly, one must be some kind of simpleton to enjoy it. I'm sure I'll have a blast watching this and Civil War, but I don't need one to be the other, or to be enjoyable in the same way. If anything, the goofy fun stuff is dying off, and that bums me out. I like the The Dark Knight trilogy, I like Batman 66. Is one better? Maybe, but y'all wouldn't agree with me in which it is.

Yeah nobody's saying that.

We're saying that a fun movie doesn't have to exclude quality.

It doesn't matter if it's "fun" if the movie itself sucks in every way.

There are plenty of fun, good movies out there. All it takes is effort, creativity, and talent.

Of which the people behind THIS movie have none.

slingtheory
02-07-2016, 09:03 PM
With most sequel trailers you get the sense of escalation. Like the stakes are being raised and the heros are going to be tested way harder than they were the first go around. This trailer just seems to say look what nostalgic characters and things we've added. I doesn't really seem like bebop, rocksteady or krang are going to give the turtles anymore of a challenge than shedder and the "foot" did in the last movie. In fact that shot with Raph smacking into that window tex avery style seems to imply there's no threat of injury or death for anybody.

Bry
02-07-2016, 09:11 PM
With most sequel trailers you get the sense of escalation.

This movie has escalation! The rooftop the Turtles are fighting the robot-suited villain on is higher up this time! Cowamundo!!!

Leo656
02-07-2016, 09:13 PM
That shot of Raph going "KERSPLAT" is f***ing embarrassing. They should be ashamed of themselves.

There's "escalation", all right. But not in a good way.

Krang's android body actually looked pretty neat though. I mean, obviously have to see more but it looks about as good as that kinda thing can, in live-action.

DarkFell
02-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Anyone else get reminded of the Bonecrusher scene when it grabbed a moving car from the highway in the first Transformers movie?

Because that is what came to my mind when I saw that the Turtle Van had sprouted arms in the trailer.

0:16 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvGmvgk_aI

However, both films have Bay's influence in them sooo...

chrisdude
02-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Yeah nobody's saying that.

We're saying that a fun movie doesn't have to exclude quality.

It doesn't matter if it's "fun" if the movie itself sucks in every way.

There are plenty of fun, good movies out there. All it takes is effort, creativity, and talent.

Of which the people behind THIS movie have none.To be fair, it doesn't suck in every way it's still fun. ;)

Nah, things can be both. Nick is both. I still think all 2014's major flaws can be tied to the last-minute script changes, and as such, I don't expect them to be repeated. The things I consider flaws, anyway. If you consider the tone and slapstick a problem, I just don't agree.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 09:26 PM
That shot of Raph going "KERSPLAT" is f***ing embarrassing. They should be ashamed of themselves.

There's "escalation", all right. But not in a good way.

Krang's android body actually looked pretty neat though. I mean, obviously have to see more but it looks about as good as that kinda thing can, in live-action.

He certainly looks better than the TMNT 2014 Shredder. They could have stayed true to the OT series and gave him red underwear but that would have just been laughable. As an OT fan, this trailer makes me smile and hopefully it will open the door to some good solid animated films that are based more on the comics, like marvel and DC have done.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 09:35 PM
And what evidence do we have that TMNT fans who'd be willing to "settle" for that will ever even get that option? Because it'd be a good idea? A "good idea" would be not tanking your live-action big-screen version in the first place. Until we actually see some evidence they'll ever cater to those "other TMNT fans" with animated movies or some such, and not just people saying "I hope so, one day", I refuse to entertain the possibility and be all hopeful about it.

These movies, for now, are what we have, and as someone who handles FW TMNT as drunken weekend filler at best, I feel neglected, cast out, and made to feel bad for not wanting all things to be pizza jokes and goofiness. When things get better, some of us might be more relaxed since we'll actually be getting things we want, rather than things we have to put up with.

Foombamaroom
02-07-2016, 09:38 PM
I love how people say 'Bay's just a producer.'

No, sir. He's the director who didn't have to come to work each day.

How else do you explain the fact that the TMNT are driving a ****ing Transformer with nunchuck arms?

slingtheory
02-07-2016, 09:41 PM
He certainly looks better than the TMNT 2014 Shredder. They could have stayed true to the OT series and gave him red underwear but that would have just been laughable. As an OT fan, this trailer makes me smile and hopefully it will open the door to some good solid animated films that are based more on the comics, like marvel and DC have done.

Of all the impacts I see this movie having I doubt that'll be one. Much more likely that if this makes equal or heaven help us more than the last one it'll reenforce that capitalizing on nostalgia is the way to go

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 09:49 PM
And what evidence do we have that TMNT fans who'd be willing to "settle" for that will ever even get that option? Because it'd be a good idea? A "good idea" would be not tanking your live-action big-screen version in the first place. Until we actually see some evidence they'll ever cater to those "other TMNT fans" with animated movies or some such, and not just people saying "I hope so, one day", I refuse to entertain the possibility and be all hopeful about it.

These movies, for now, are what we have, and as someone who handles FW TMNT as drunken weekend filler at best, I feel neglected, cast out, and made to feel bad for not wanting all things to be pizza jokes and goofiness. When things get better, some of us might be more relaxed since we'll actually be getting things we want, rather than things we have to put up with.

Well we have no evidence and it's out of our control. I have tons of TMNT from the past in form of comics, movies, and tv shows to enjoy if I don't enjoy the movies. They could make a hundred bad movies and it won't take that away from me. So yes, we can hope that the box office success of these movies strikes an interest in younger fans to explore the original source material much like the OT series did for people of my generation. It's because of the OT series and 1990 film that I became interested in the comics. Maybe these new movies and tv series will do the same for kids of today.

CyberCubed
02-07-2016, 09:50 PM
The response on neogaf seems generally positive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181118

Bry
02-07-2016, 09:51 PM
I love how people say 'Bay's just a producer.'

No, sir. He's the director who didn't have to come to work each day.

How else do you explain the fact that the TMNT are driving a ****ing Transformer with nunchuck arms?

Exactly. Also, while we're at it, there's no such thing as "just a producer". The producer is the boss.

The director is in charge of the actual production, but the producer is the one cutting the checks. Ultimately they outrank the director. They often hire the director in the first place. And in many cases, the producer(s) have even fired the director if they aren't happy with their work. That tells you who's really in charge.

For a "film" film, a movie where the writer's/director's vision drives the project, the producer will often stay out of the way and let them do their thing. But for a strictly commercial movie like this? Not a chance. With movies like this, it's all about the money, and the producer will often have their hands in every step of the process in order to ensure they'll get a return on their investment.

The director is only "in charge" as much as the producer lets them be.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Of all the impacts I see this movie having I doubt that'll be one. Much more likely that if this makes equal or heaven help us more than the last one it'll reenforce that capitalizing on nostalgia is the way to go

It could if fans are vocal about it. If they believe they can make money off an animated version of the original comic or even the IDW series, they will do it.

Sabacooza
02-07-2016, 09:58 PM

It's tragic.I like your way of thinking. The first movie wasn't great by any means but still had somewhat of a serious tone to it. This just goes totally in the other direction making it into a cheesy cartoonish live action version of the Fred Wolf show. God help us all.

Bry
02-07-2016, 10:02 PM
It could if fans are vocal about it. If they believe they can make money off an animated version of the original comic or even the IDW series, they will do it.

Hold up. If fans are vocal about it, maybe we'll get something we want as a direct-to-video animated feature, someday.

But based on the tone of your earlier comments... if the fans are vocal about disliking the state of the live-action movie franchise, then y'know, the Ninja Turtles are silly anyway, it's just a movie, stop whining?

https://media.giphy.com/media/rV4guAJUoU6Vq/giphy.gif

Leo656
02-07-2016, 10:04 PM
This is one of those paradox things that can wipe out the space-time continuum. Best not to bring it up.

Why add "logic" into anything now anyways? :lol: Logic has no place in any discussion of these movies.

TigerClaw
02-07-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm not surprise by some of the comments some people are making about TMNT 2, Some including yours truly, wanted a TMNT film that is fun and pays homage to the Fred Wolf series, and we got our wish, there is a minority that rather have a more serious take, but they are never gonna get it on any other medium other then the original comics.

Powder
02-07-2016, 10:11 PM
As someone who does in fact love the Fred Wolf cartoon, no, just no. This takes stuff from it, but to say it pays homage is a joke.

Bry
02-07-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm not surprise by some of the comments some people are making about TMNT 2, Some including yours truly, wanted a TMNT film that is fun and pays homage to the Fred Wolf series, and we got our wish, there is a minority that rather have a more serious take, but they are never gonna get it on any other medium other then the original comics.

Oh, man... so many assumptions, so much flat-out wrong.

Anyone else wanna take this one? I've got work to do right now. :trazz:

chrisdude
The response on neogaf seems generally positive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181118 I suspect response to this preview will be generally positive everywhere but here.

Leo656
Did you also wish for horrible CGI, non-existent "plot", zero character development, and "action" that belongs more in a Bugs Bunny cartoon than a TMNT movie?

I sure hope so, cuz that's what you're getting! Also, if so, CONGRATULATIONS, that's awful!

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Hold up. If fans are vocal about it, maybe we'll get something we want as a direct-to-video animated feature, someday.

But based on the tone of your earlier comments... if the fans are vocal about disliking the state of the live-action movie franchise, then y'know, the Ninja Turtles are silly anyway, it's just a movie, stop whining?

https://media.giphy.com/media/rV4guAJUoU6Vq/giphy.gif

No. Because you are being vocal on a ninja turtles web forum so you are basically just preaching to the choir. You think they are reading this? I'm talking about being vocal to companies that can actually make this happen in a non-cynical way. The DC animated features became possible due mostly to producer Bruce Timm, an animator/ comic book artist who lobbied hard for these films to get made. If IDW or Mirage knew the demand, they would absolutely produce these features.

TigerClaw
02-07-2016, 10:15 PM
I suspect response to this preview will be generally positive everywhere but here.
That's very true, which doesn't surprise me at all.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 10:15 PM
I suspect response to this preview will be generally positive everywhere but here.

Most people outside this forum haven't kept up with TMNT in any incarnation SINCE the 80s or early 90s. It's predictable they'd feel that way. To them, all TMNT ever was or can be is some goofy kids' cartoon, even in a movie. To them, the franchise never "grew up", and since they haven't even paid attention in two decades they don't see why it even should.

It's also not surprising that a lot of people who are more familiar with, and fond of, more serious and dramatic takes on TMNT would want something more to their tastes, and that a lot of them hang out here, with others who are like-minded.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 10:18 PM
The trailer of the movie has been viewed over 18 million times with over 100,000 people liking it. Far more people than are on this forum. Now as a business man, who would YOU market to?

Leo656
02-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Ideally, I'd craft an approach that was respectful of everyone.

They are being intentionally DISrespectful of any fans who are NOT FW fans, with their approach. That is the problem.

"It is what it is, don't like it, go f*ck yourself." NO. You don't treat your potential customers like that, and there's ALSO no excuse not to make the absolute best movie possible, period.

Bry
02-07-2016, 10:22 PM
No. Because you are being vocal on a ninja turtles web forum so you are basically just preaching to the choir. You think they are reading this? I'm talking about being vocal to companies that can actually make this happen in a non-cynical way. The DC animated features became possible due mostly to producer Bruce Timm, an animator/ comic book artist who lobbied hard for these films to get made.

Who says anyone's only being vocal here? :trazz: Again, making some assumptions there in a very dismissive way. Kind of a pattern, huh?

Besides -- this whole "only be vocal if you're being positive" kind of thinking doesn't make a lot of sense. Negative word-of-mouth has impact too. Plenty of it. As does not paying for stuff you don't like. That's my plan, and I heartily recommend the same to anyone who wants better than this.

Though we are getting a video game and a board game based on the IDW comics, and I absolutely intend to buy those.

If IDW or Mirage knew the demand, they would absolutely produce these features.

Mirage has no stake in the property anymore. And IDW produces licensed comics; I'm pretty sure they don't produce animation in-house. Or even have the ability to greenlight projects like that on their own.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Who says anyone's only being vocal here? :trazz: Again, making some assumptions there in a very dismissive way. Kind of a pattern, huh?

No. I'm making no assumptions. I'm sure there are plenty of TMNT fans voicing their concerns in other places. However, voicing them on a TMNT web forum is probably not going to strike the attention of anyone who can do something about it.

Technogeek29
02-07-2016, 10:32 PM

Besides -- this whole "only be vocal if you're being positive" kind of thinking doesn't make a lot of sense. Negative word-of-mouth has impact too. Plenty of it. As does not paying for stuff you don't like. That's my plan, and I heartily recommend the same to anyone who wants better than this.

Though we are getting a video game and a board game based on the IDW comics, and I absolutely intend to buy those.

Mirage has no stake in the property anymore. And IDW produces licensed comics; I'm pretty sure they don't produce animation in-house. Or even have the ability to greenlight projects like that on their own.

If you look at Bry's avatar you know how other TMNT mediums feel about these movies. Nick took a pot shot at the designs even they aren't feeling them and they've had some really wacky stuff happen to them.

sethmartin
02-07-2016, 10:36 PM

Ok, well who can you go to then? Paramount, who made nearly half a billion dollars on the last movie? Nickelodeon, who has a very successful tv version? I don't know who owns what but my point is if enough fans made it clear what they wanted, then they would get what they wanted. Unfortunately, a majority of people who like TMNT like it because of the tv shows so that's the market they are going for.

d_osborn
02-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Did you also wish for horrible CGI, non-existent "plot", zero character development, and "action" that belongs more in a Bugs Bunny cartoon than a TMNT movie?
Sub in "bad animation" for "horrible CGI" and you pretty much have the old FW series! They're just being very faithful! :lol:

ToTheNines
02-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Yo, not even the Fred Wolf or Nick show would pull that **** they just did with the airplane.

But what do you expect after that fake ass tower collapse in part 1?

Leo656
02-07-2016, 10:40 PM
And again, most people who are the most excited haven't paid any attention to TMNT in ANY fashion in about 20-25 years and are excited by things they remember, not that those things are necessarily being recreated in a GOOD way... so I find it unfair that they be allowed to set the temperature for the entire goddamn room.

Bry
02-07-2016, 10:40 PM
No. I'm making no assumptions. I'm sure there are plenty of TMNT fans voicing their concerns in other places. However, voicing them on a TMNT web forum is probably not going to strike the attention of anyone who can do something about it.

So? It's cathartic. We're fans, that's why we post here. It's a place to discuss, and rave, and rant, and criticize. It's an outlet. Nobody actually thinks it's "important", so don't pretend like we do. That's not a valid narrative.

Honestly, it seems like you're skipping from dismissive attempt to shut down criticism to dismissive attempt to shut down criticism here. First a "the concept's dumb anyway" kind of response, then some "virgin/nerd"-level mockery when you're called on that, to "ask nicely and maybe you'll get something else sort of like what you want" redirection, and now "complaining on a fan forum doesn't do anything". All ways to make people feel like their opinions/comments aren't worth sharing.

Nobody's making you read these comments if you don't like them, y'know.

Ok, well who can you go to then? Paramount, who made nearly half a billion dollars on the last movie?

Okay, this is beside the point, but... After spending approx $150m for production and plenty more on top of that for marketing. And the majority of the box office was international/foreign markets that they get a much smaller cut from. So they didn't actually make "nearly half a billion dollars," really.

I don't know who owns what but my point is if enough fans made it clear what they wanted, then they would get what they wanted. Unfortunately, a majority of people who like TMNT like it because of the tv shows so that's the market they are going for.

That is a very simplistic idea of how these things work. It's rarely that simple. It's not a democracy or a meritocracy; it often comes down to a tiny handful of producers/executives and what they think people want. Sometimes this is based on hard evidence, but often -- very often -- it's just based on the money-mens' completely arbitrary whims. And with big enough egos in the mix, that can be all that matters.

TheCollector
02-07-2016, 10:43 PM
Anyone else think this Krang's head kinda resembles General Krang from IDW?

slingtheory
02-07-2016, 10:45 PM
You're right about that. If they think there's money to be made in it they probably will do it but I don't think being vocal about it is enough. If this movie with its cartoon slap stick and trotting out of old skool characters gets them a big return on thier investment people will have basically voted with thier wallets that they want to see more like this. And if the general public is apparently into that what incentive is there for them to make animated movies set in the mirage or idw universes. For that to happen they need to get the idea there's an audience out there interested in more mature stories outside of the diehards who post on one forum. As long as the majority of people are freaking out over just glances at krang and b&r I don't expect it happening any time soon.
You're kidding right. The majority of people don't even know theres an option for a serious take because they stopping paying attention around 93. They're in it more for the memories than personal taste. You could've actually made a mirage style movie with these same characters in it and got the same result. This is just taking the lazy way out.

Galactus
02-07-2016, 10:49 PM
No. Because you are being vocal on a ninja turtles web forum so you are basically just preaching to the choir. You think they are reading this? I'm talking about being vocal to companies that can actually make this happen in a non-cynical way. The DC animated features became possible due mostly to producer Bruce Timm, an animator/ comic book artist who lobbied hard for these films to get made. If IDW or Mirage knew the demand, they would absolutely produce these features.

They are though. We know people at Nickledeon come here and it's also been stated that this is one of the sites the movie people monitor. The fact that the owners of the site have been contacted due what they feel to be fans out of hand should have been a tip off that they are reading and if they are now I'd say simmer down. A threat from a message board is probably an idle one of Michael Bay would have been strung up by Transformers fans years ago ; )

But yes they know how "we" feel about things and I believe to some degree they are trying to appease us but I don't think they really "get" what we're saying to adequately do that. I'm sure they often scratching their heads saying "we gave them what they wanted. Why are they still mad?"

As for straight to home video movies? Unlikely. Hopefully things like the Batman comic crossover can improve TMNT's standing with comic fans to actually show there's an audience for it but even Marvel have given up on that. As you say DC does it because Bruce Timm himself wants he has a cult following that supports what animated projects he's involved in.

Likewise the idea the idea that somewhere down the line we may get a reboot to a respectable series is pretty much dead. After TMNT meets Loonie Tunes we got here good luck ever selling the audience let alone marketing people TMNT can be anything else. The really sad part is this is unlikely to make Transformers level money and unlike Transformers we're not getting any benefits in other areas due to the movie's success.

samxsteal
02-07-2016, 10:56 PM

Yeah definitely

Bry
02-07-2016, 10:59 PM
You're kidding right. The majority of people don't even know theres an option for a serious take because they stopping paying attention around 93. They're in it more for the memories than personal taste. You could've actually made a mirage style movie with these same characters in it and got the same result. This is just taking the lazy way out.

They could have Batman '89-ed (or Dark Knight-ed) it if they really cared. Taken things to a whole new level, blew some minds, and injected some serious life into the property. It would have taken a lot of care and effort, but it would definitely be possible, and would probably help the franchise stand out (and last longer) than these movies ever could.

d_osborn
02-07-2016, 11:05 PM
They could have Batman '89-ed (or Dark Knight-ed) it if they really cared. Taken things to a whole new level, blew some minds, and injected some serious life into the property. It would have taken a lot of care and effort, but it would definitely be possible, and would probably help the franchise stand out (and last longer) than these movies ever could.
Yeah, it's a pretty big bummer that wasn't the route taken. What makes it sting even worse is that they were heading down that path until Laird sold the property and Nick/Paramount got involved.

It's funny you mention B89, because WB toyed around with making it a comedy. Ivan Reitman was attached to direct Bill Murray as Batman for a while before Ghostbusters.

slingtheory
02-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty big bummer that wasn't the route taken. What makes it sting even worse is that they were heading down that path until Laird sold the property and Nick/Paramount got involved.

It's funny you mention B89, because WB toyed around with making it a comedy. Ivan Reitman was attached to direct Bill Murray as Batman for a while before Ghostbusters.
And to think that all changed because tim burton heard about a comic book

Technogeek29
02-07-2016, 11:11 PM

Yeah definitely

The resemblance is uncanny...
IDW
http://covers.cbrd.info/e4bd4252531f0eff1bd342b8506072e6_xl.jpg

This movie

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
02-07-2016, 11:14 PM
The fact is, in this day and age, you can look at Marvel films and you can see the Potential of what these characters in these movies could be. Films like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and so forth are how you do it the Respectful way while also having the 'fun action movie'.

Even to the folks who hated Avengers: Age of Ultron, or Guardians of the Galaxy, or whatever...they still had plenty of moments of at least 'Trying' to have different characters having different Development and friendships. And at least Genuine Emotion, with the key word being Genuine. As WELL as Eye Candy, special FX, and so forth.

Again, even if you hate those movies, you have to at LEAST give credit that Marvel Attempts that. And that is as good of a template as any for a new Turtles film to strive for...

Before people go and say 'well they are just Turtles'. So? Look at Thor in the comics with his type of 'dialogue', or Cap with the 'Rah Rah, USA' mantra way back in the day? They didn't go 110% to the point of stupidity when Marvel made those films. Which is why the General Public do Respect the Marvel flicks.

The Attempt at having character development is a key in those films, including The Avengers flicks. The equivalent that could be used for new TMNT films? Perhaps having a certain dynamic between Raph & Mikey that would grow with each film...perhaps another dynamic between Raph & Donnie that could develop with each flick, another certain/different/unique dynamic between Donnie and Mikey that we see throughout each movie, and etc.)

Here are a few questions to point out there...

Why should it be such a 'bad' or 'horrible' thing to have a movie where the four title characters are the Main Stars of their own film and to have a flick in which they are Actual Characters who perhaps have certain relationships/dialogue between each other aka 'character development'? You can still have humor and fun action in that, as well.

Why is such a stigma or 'horrible thing to say' to want Actual Martial Arts in movies with the word Ninjas in the title? I'm sorry, but one punch and a guy flying 100 feet isn't Martial Arts. It's simply not. I can't even call it 'Bare Knuckle Brawling'.

Why do people get mad that some just simply feel that you do not need to make characters have 'Fart Jokes and Boner Jokes' or, in this case, Raph splattered on a window of an airplane 'Hijinks' instead of witty banter between characters (I guarantee people on this Very Forum could write fun back and forth 'teasing banter' between Raph & Mikey, just to use as an example)?

Why shouldn't people quirk their eyebrows 'oh, well here is Megan Fox in revealing clothes' when Some of us would rather have thought processes of the filmmakers/producers go into 'making well done fight choreography with actual Martial Arts, not fights that fit more into an Incredible Hulk film' or 'witty dialogue' or 'emotional beats to make the audience relate to the characters' or 'script writing to show the Brothers' as a family who care for each other, depend on each other, and at the same time not make it seem like an afterthought (a perfect example was Raph's Out Of The Blue 'I Love You' Confession which wasn't earned)?

Since the film is made already? At least now people will not have to complain about the whole 'well we never got Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, and so forth in a live action film'...

You got it now. It's done. And after this? You can now never complain about that again...

TigerClaw
02-07-2016, 11:18 PM
I tried to get into the Mirage comics after watching the 80s cartoon, I just wasn't feeling it, I'm used to the lighthearted tone of the FW series, and the archie series comic was my prefered TMNT comics at the time, I'm glad this sequel borrow some elements from those rather then the Mirage comics, which weren't fun for me.

DarkFell
02-07-2016, 11:19 PM
I saw more of this instead.
http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Robocop-2014-Movie-Remake-vs-Original.jpg

Leo656
02-07-2016, 11:20 PM
Yeah, RamboRaph, instead we get all-new things to complain about! :lol:

The TMNT movie franchise: The "Gift" that keeps on giving! :trazz:

...Like the "gifts" the dog leaves in tightly-coiled piles on the rug. :trazz::trazz::trazz:

Nobody is saying it has to be like Mirage or leave out elements of Fred Wolf. Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang really do "deserve" to be represented in a movie. What people are saying is, it really should NOT be a damn Bugs Bunny cartoon. That's not complicated. Sh*t like that stuff with Raph on the plane and the van with nunchuck arms is inexcusable.

Powder
02-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Haha, good call, Darkfell. I couldn't remember what it reminded me of.

...Like the "gifts" the dog leaves in tightly-coiled piles on the rug. :trazz::trazz::trazz:

Having cleaned dog sh*t off of my kitchen floor this very morning, I can honestly say that was a far less sickening chore to bear than watching that first film. & I say that without giggling emoticons, because it's not a joke.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 11:26 PM
And you're generally very open-minded about TMNT in general, particularly the "goofier" aspects that others often scorn. So there's simply no way anyone could call you anything but impartial and objective.

You just know dog sh*t when you see it, am I right? :trazz:

d_osborn
02-07-2016, 11:27 PM
And to think that all changed because tim burton heard about a comic book
One of the producers was really pushing for a darker Batman movie, but there was something about his deal with WB that took away his position to veto the decisions. This was in the late-70s, before Frank Miller was doing his thing. The original pitch script wasn't as dark as Burton's was (for the time), but it was a strong step-up from the absurdist TV show. The tone was more in-line with a late-70s James Bond movie.

Powder
02-07-2016, 11:36 PM
And you're generally very open-minded about TMNT in general, particularly the "goofier" aspects that others often scorn. So there's simply no way anyone could call you anything but impartial and objective.

You just know dog sh*t when you see it, am I right? :trazz:

I'd like to think so, yeah. Like I told a friend on Facebook who told me I need to be "open minded", I'm someone who not only follows all the new stuff from Nick & IDW without many complaints but still re-watches everything from The Next Mutation to f**king Turtle Tunes. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say some of the ideas presented in these two films may be alright in the hands of a different creative team or another medium entirely (like say a video game or comic). But execution is everything, & they have failed at that, in my eyes. Bad writing/acting is still bad writing/acting no matter how broad your horizons may be.

Galactus
02-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Here's some food for thought; didn't Form say the turtle truck scene we see in the trailer the movie's opening scene?

So in a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie not only opens with a car chase but a car chase with flying sewer lids and extend-o arms.

They could have at least had Donatello driving the truck and the other three fighting Foot on the roof or manning more down to earth weapons from open compartments like has been shown before on TMNT but no it's go-go-giant nunchucks to open this ultra faithful adaption.

Bry
02-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Here's some food for thought; didn't Form say the turtle truck scene we see in the trailer the movie's opening scene?

So in a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie not only opens with a car chase but a car chase with flying sewer lids and extend-o arms.

They could have at least had Donatello driving the truck and the other three fighting Foot on the roof or manning more down to earth weapons from open compartments like has been shown before on TMNT but no it's go-go-giant nunchucks to open this ultra faithful adaption.

Finally, the Ninja Turtles movie that literally everyone has been waiting for!

Wildcat
02-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Everyone who complains about this movie would have loved it back in the day.

It's pretty much exactly what we were expecting with the 90s movies. Live Action Fred Wolf. Which looks awesome...except for maybe the turtle designs but they don't bother that much.

Meanwhile in 2016 - oh it's a bunch ridiculous crap, it's ruining the franchise! :lol: nothing is gonna ruin the franchise. These movies will come and go and eventually different ones will come along.

Leo656
02-07-2016, 11:52 PM
I actually did say to my wife a few minutes ago, "There was a time to do 'FW TMNT as a movie, and that was 1991, not 2016." That's funny. :lol:

For 2016, I'd rather they put Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady in a movie that wasn't garbage, rather than trying to elevate garbage by putting a bunch of Nostalgia Glitter Icing on top of it. You can do a GOOD movie with the same exact stuff they're using, so why forgive a bad one?

If anything, this pisses me off more than the last one. The last one had NO chance to be any good. This one had some hope, despite little bits of it being chipped away the more we heard about Corrections Officer Casey Jones and his expensive sports car, or the awful CGI for Bebop and Rocksteady. But the fact they at least were being more familiar to what people recognize by including Krang and the others was a step forward...

...Then Raphael goes "Kersplat" on the windshield and you hear a giant fart noise in your head and it all falls apart. They didn't HAVE to be stupid about it. That was a choice.

Bry
02-07-2016, 11:54 PM

Where is that bingo card of mine? :trazz:

"Back in the day" I was 6 years old. Standards and expectations tend to grow the more you age. I mean, if you're doing it right.

It's pretty much exactly what we were expecting with the 90s movies. Live Action Fred Wolf.

Yet instead we got the 1990 movie, which mostly took from the Mirage comics. And I loved it. And rewatching that in my teenage years is what revived my love of the property, led me to track down the original comics, and develop a much deeper appreciation for the TMNT concept as a whole.

Turns out we were pretty spoiled back then.

Leo656
02-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Where is that bingo card of mine? :trazz:

"Back in the day" I was 6 years old. Standards and expectations tend to grow the more you age. I mean, if you're doing it right.

Pretty big "If", homie! :lol: You took a poll, lately? :trazz: Kittens. With. String.

The survey would have also accepted "Baby with keys". Same thing.

Galactus
02-08-2016, 12:06 AM

I already had a movie I loved back in the day.

It's pretty much exactly what we were expecting with the 90s movies. Live Action Fred Wolf. Which looks awesome...except for maybe the turtle designs but they don't bother that much.

Meanwhile in 2016 - oh it's a bunch ridiculous crap, it's ruining the franchise! :lol: nothing is gonna ruin the franchise. These movies will come and go and eventually different ones will come along.

The movie I liked wasn't like the Fred Wolf show. I liked the more realistic, genuinely lived in down to earth tone of the 1990 compared to the show. The turtles of the show could never be real but as a kid it certainly felt the movie could be real. They in more realistic environments, fought more realistic threats and stopped spouting catch phrases to talk like real people.

The sequels, the first of which was more reminiscent of the show and I didn't care as much for them. I think that's when I realized the show wasn't the be all and end all of TMNT.

Still as a fan of the cartoon (still) I could get down with a more Fred Wolf movie but as it's been pointed out even at it's most dumb the show didn't pull some of the ridiculous crap we saw in the trailer. It may have some of the characters, they may look like the show but it doesn't really 'feel' like the show.

Also Paramount don't seem to be into reboots, Platinum Dunes don't seem the type to give something like this up. Not to mention good luck trying to convince anyone of a different direction after this. The movie will be the final nail in the coffin of TMNT being seen as a viable property in the vein of other comic book movies. If we get more they were varying degrees of deliberately stupid.

Bry
02-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Pretty big "If", homie! :lol: You took a poll, lately? :trazz: Kittens. With. String.

The survey would have also accepted "Baby with keys". Same thing.

*heavy sigh*

I'm starting to feel like actually caring about this property is fighting a losing battle. Maybe I care more than I should. It's given me a lot of joy over the years. It was the first thing I really glommed onto as a "fan". The story of how Eastman & Laird turned an idea and a love of comics into a phenomenon will always be hugely inspirational to me. We've had a lot of really good comics, a solid movie in 1990, some fun games, and a nice overall revival 13 years ago... All very positive stuff that deepened my love and appreciation for this whole concept.

TMNT is something that's given me a lot of hope and inspiration over the years. I see its high points and its potential and I really want to see those lived up to. But man, if we're the point where movies like these are the face of it all, and even saying "I wish we could have an actually-good TMNT movie and not something stupid and terrible" just leads to hours of bickering? Now that is a low.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
02-08-2016, 12:17 AM

To be honest and fair...I did already get that (which I know someone else typed, and I agree with that person) on the 1990 film.

As for the Fred Wolf? I got that with Secret of the Ooze. Both films I still love.

Secret of the Ooze has goofy stuff ala the OT, and I still think it's fun and better than this current stuff (and it didn't need boner/fart jokes like the first on, or whatever is in the second flick). Plus considering it never had the budget of these movies, they did the best they could (although yes, it's not perfect. Never said it was...but I do feel it is underrated).

I enjoy the Turtles designs/suits/looks more, I enjoy the voice actors more, it has actual martial arts choreography, they're not just Super CHUDs with bullet proof shells, it had some fun brotherly moments (Mikey picking on Raph in a few scenes, for example) and it still had 2 monsters that they fought (I never cared that it wasn't Bebop & Rocksteady...i care more about the title characters and I thought they were served well in an OT way for SOTO). The whole 'not using weapons' never bothered me because it was PG. You can only have those weapons used effectively in an R-rated setting, or with them fighting monsters/robots that they can actually stab/slice/hit in the head with a nunchuck/etc. (even in PG-13, they can't do much with their weapons anyway).

I'm sure I'll get crap for that. But oh well, I'll still stand by on what I've said.

Wildcat
02-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Ya I get its 2016 and I certainly would go a different way if I could make a TMNT movie but it still makes sense that this the way they'd go.

Ok the 90s movie was more so based on mirage and this on Fred Wolf. So then it's just reversed. We got the more serious style movie first and now an OT style one. Which you'd think would have happened the other way around given how popular the cartoon was.

Plus everyone blaming Bay and the studio is bit unfair. There was bound to be dumb humor no matter who made it now that it's owned by Nick. I like the current show but it too has dumb humor.

People make it seem like these are last turtle movies to ever be made. It's not the nail in any coffin. Look at every multiple-version franchise. PD is not gonna do them for the rest of time.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
02-08-2016, 12:23 AM
People make it seem like these are last turtle movies to ever be made. It's not the nail in any coffin. Look at every multiple-version franchise. PD is not gonna do them for the rest of time.

Because at one point it was a 7 year wait (from the 2007 flick to the 2014 flick) or a 14 year wait (from the 1993 TMNT flick to the 2007 CGI film).

Say the new flick is a hit, which means a third flick around 2018 or so.

If it's another 7 year or 14 year wait after 2018? Then that's a LOOOONG Wait...

Wildcat
02-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Because at one point it was a 7 year wait (from the 2007 flick to the 2014 flick) or a 14 year wait (from the 1993 TMNT flick to the 2007 CGI film).

Say the new flick is a hit, which means a third flick around 2018 or so.

If it's another 7 year or 14 year wait after 2018? Then that's a LOOOONG Wait...But that goes for a lot of movies. Sequels or new versions a lot of time take years to come along

Leo656
02-08-2016, 12:38 AM
People keep saying "Someday someone might do a more grounded take on TMNT so don't worry about it", which completely disregards the fact that SOME of us don't plan to live that long! :trazz:

TrickOrTreater
02-08-2016, 12:44 AM
People keep saying "Someday someone might do a more grounded take on TMNT so don't worry about it", which completely disregards the fact that SOME of us don't plan to live that long! :trazz:

Speak for yourself! Brain in robot body here I come!

Leo656
02-08-2016, 12:45 AM
I was planning for "series of interchangeable clone bodies grown in pods", Palpatine-style, myself. :tgrin:

Technogeek29
02-08-2016, 12:48 AM
Fountain of youth myself.

TrickOrTreater
02-08-2016, 12:49 AM
You'll all bow before my legion of robot slaves.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
02-08-2016, 12:50 AM
But that goes for a lot of movies. Sequels or new versions a lot of time take years to come along

Yeah, but since its' creation in the 1980s? We've never had the 'gritty/dark/violent' take on the Turtles in a Film form. Like I said, I love the 1990 (let alone SOTO) but it's not that.

If you read that comic around when it came out...then it's been over 30 years and you have Still haven't seen that.

On top of that, you'll wait at least another what...10 years to just 'have the slimmest chance possible' to ever see that (which even then, isn't likely)?

Honestly, at this point the only way one will see that is in a Fan Film form. Which won't happen cause it's extremely rare for a TMNT fan film to get funded (except that Casey Jones one).

They could just have direct to DVD Animated films (like DC does with Batman, Superman, etc.) for people to buy/watch, but they won't do that to 'avoid confusion for the kids'.

Wildcat
02-08-2016, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but since its' creation in the 1980s? We've never had the 'gritty/dark/violent' take on the Turtles in a Film form. Like I said, I love the 1990 (let alone SOTO) but it's not that.

If you read that comic around when it came out...then it's been over 30 years and you have Still haven't seen that.

On top of that, you'll wait at least another what...10 years to just 'have the slimmest chance possible' to ever see that (which even then, isn't likely)?

Honestly, at this point the only way one will see that is in a Fan Film form. Which won't happen cause it's extremely rare for a TMNT fan film to get funded (except that Casey Jones one).

They could just have direct to DVD Animated films (like DC does with Batman, Superman, etc.) for people to buy/watch, but they won't do that to 'avoid confusion for the kids'.Well Adam West Batman - Batman Begins.

It is probably harder for TMNT but that's more because it's owned by Nick now. Not over PD or Bay movies. Who was really gonna be allowed to make a gritty more adult oriented TMNT under Nick?

It's obvious the movies changed tracks after that deal. At least PD/Bay is giving us a movie that should happened in 1990 with the cartoon

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
02-08-2016, 01:22 AM
Well Adam West Batman - Batman Begins.

It is probably harder for TMNT but that's more because it's owned by Nick now. Not over PD or Bay movies. Who was really gonna be allowed to make a gritty more adult oriented TMNT under Nick?

It's obvious the movies changed tracks after that deal. At least PD/Bay is giving us a movie that should happened in 1990 with the cartoon

Many folks would say Disney/Nick would go hand in hand, and yet look at what Disney is letting Marvel do. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, for example.

PD & Bay COULD control having the Turtles the main stars...not having boner/fart jokes like the last one...could put Martial Arts stuff (plenty of PG-13 films that feature those, even Marvel films like how Black Widow fights)...more development of the title characters (Again, like Marvel does)...they could control that stuff.

I grew up with the 80's cartoon and it was the first/only thing I had known about when 1990 came around.

If I got Bay's film back in 1990 (I would have been 7)? I would have been pissed.

Why? Because even at 7, I would have been saying 'The Turtles look Ugly'.

I'd be going 'where are the turtles?' I would have been going 'how come they're not fighting like Chuck Norris or Van Damme?' which were the films I was watching at the time, martial arts wise. Fart jokes never made me laugh, even at 7 (was more into Three Stooges stuff), and more.

So I disagree. To me it's 'not the movie that should have happened in 1990. Again, for me it was TMNT 1990 & SOTO.

Of course, at 7 years old I was watching flicks like Aliens, Rambo II, Cyborg, and The Blob from 1988. So maybe that had a hand in it, as well.

Wildcat
02-08-2016, 01:43 AM
Many folks would say Disney/Nick would go hand in hand, and yet look at what Disney is letting Marvel do. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, for example.

PD & Bay COULD control having the Turtles the main stars...not having boner/fart jokes like the last one...could put Martial Arts stuff (plenty of PG-13 films that feature those, even Marvel films like how Black Widow fights)...more development of the title characters (Again, like Marvel does)...they could control that stuff.

I grew up with the 80's cartoon and it was the first/only thing I had known about when 1990 came around.

If I got Bay's film back in 1990 (I would have been 7)? I would have been pissed.

Why? Because even at 7, I would have been saying 'The Turtles look Ugly'.

I'd be going 'where are the turtles?' I would have been going 'how come they're not fighting like Chuck Norris or Van Damme?' which were the films I was watching at the time, martial arts wise. Fart jokes never made me laugh, even at 7 (was more into Three Stooges stuff), and more.

So I disagree. To me it's 'not the movie that should have happened in 1990. Again, for me it was TMNT 1990 & SOTO.

Of course, at 7 years old I was watching flicks like Aliens, Rambo II, Cyborg, and The Blob from 1988. So maybe that had a hand in it, as well.I watched more violent movies at 7 too. I think a lot of people did. I don't really care for potty humor either, depends on the actual joke. The turtles designs could definitely be better. They don't bother me that much, Mikey and Raph are the worst imo.

I agree the turtles did not really "fight" in the first 2014 movie. They just muscled through. I do hope that changed with part 2 now they have Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang to battle.

I have not seen the Marvel movies but I doubt the TMNT would be drastically different with another studio. Maybe less in-your-face but I don't know. I don't know how much control Nick allows as opposed to Disney.

Galactus
02-08-2016, 01:44 AM
Plus everyone blaming Bay and the studio is bit unfair. There was bound to be dumb humor no matter who made it now that it's owned by Nick. I like the current show but it too has dumb humor.

You have a point about the Nick show it's a anime inspired show that can expertly blend that with darker, more serious moments. This movie has not even hinted more serious moments and interviews have it made it clear this is pure schlock.

The idea that a TMNT movie now would have dumb humor regardless of who made it is true but not to this level.

I think it's a catch 22.

Unless TMNT Out of the Shadows and the potential third movie make substantially more I think it'll be a very long time we see more movies. On the flip if they make better money Bay will keep going after all we're on Transformers 5 right now.

Even so I do think the window of opportunity for TMNT to be taken with the same degree of seriousness of say Marvel movie (which are essentially family movies too) has passed with the previous film. I think this will indeed the final nail in the coffin whether a studio would accept a proposal for a different kind of TMNT movie or whether the general audience would accept it. If a serious TMNT movie didn't happen back when "serious" comic book movies boomed it probably never will.

Leolead
02-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Next reboot at the earliest is in 2021 If this film is successful, if it isn't successful, then I think we might be seeing another reboot sooner than later. Remember what happened with Spider-Man? Yeah.

Galactus
02-08-2016, 02:30 AM
Remember what happened with Spider-Man? Yeah.

Sony went bankrupt. Marvel who had kept a cordial relationship with Sony as opposed to Fox really wanted the rights to Spider-Man back and agreed to share so they can put Spider-Man into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

There isn't a Marvel equivalent to rescue TMNT in this regard and this franchise has had more chances in movies than it's track record says it deserves.

CyberCubed
02-08-2016, 02:32 AM
After the Bay trilogy ends hopefully they let the franchise rest before another reboot.

I wonder if the Nick cartoon will even still be running by then, although by 2018 the show will have 7 seasons so I suppose its possible.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 09:30 AM
After the Bay trilogy ends hopefully they let the franchise rest before another reboot.

I wonder if the Nick cartoon will even still be running by then, although by 2018 the show will have 7 seasons so I suppose its possible.

Considering Transformers made a fourth movie and is definitely going to have at least a fifth...

:teek: The cinematic TMNT will continued to be screwed for much, much longer than any of us would like.

ZariusTwo
02-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Considering Transformers made a fourth movie and is definitely going to have at least a fifth...

They have a whole writers room assembled for the next three or four movies also.

Took 'em four movies to realize they need writers, but it happened.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 09:43 AM
They have a whole writers room assembled for the next three or four movies also.

Took 'em four movies to realize they need writers, but it happened.

Yeah, and it'll take 'em ANOTHER four movies before they realize that they need GOOD writers. :trolleye:

ZariusTwo
02-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Yeah, and it'll take 'em ANOTHER four movies before they realize that they need GOOD writers. :trolleye:

"Hey, let's get the guy who did Beautiful Mind"

"...Batman and Ro..."

"..BEAUTIFUL MIND!"

Bry
02-08-2016, 09:47 AM

The Transformers 10 hype train starts now! :P

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 09:48 AM
The Transformers 10 hype train starts now! :P

"Hey, let's get the guy who did Beautiful Mind"

"...Batman and Ro..."

"..BEAUTIFUL MIND!"

Exactly. BOTH of you, exactly. Come get a cookie from my desk before you leave.

Bry
02-08-2016, 10:07 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/XMvrleT9jksXm/giphy.gif

jenna
02-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Disappointed. it's a campy cartoon in CGI. What does this do for the franchise, other than re-brand it squarely into the under-fives market? Yes I know, mutant turtles doing karate blah blah blah, but it has had thoughtful, intelligent moments in the past. It had meaning. This gives the franchise zero credibility.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 10:18 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/XMvrleT9jksXm/giphy.gif

The big one's mine, tiger. Paws off.

DarkLightDragon
02-08-2016, 10:19 AM
The big one's mine, tiger. Paws off.

I dunno, Cookie Monster looks he'd be all over that one.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 10:20 AM
I dunno, Cookie Monster looks he'd be all over that one.

I will fight him for it. I'll totally go Bane to his Killer Croc and break his damn arms.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
02-08-2016, 11:24 AM
if Raphael falls out of the sky, without a shute , and lands unharmed, I am walking out and demanding my money back. even if I don't pay again.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 11:30 AM
if Raphael falls out of the sky, without a shute , and lands unharmed, I am walking out and demanding my money back. even if I don't pay again.

I think what's going on is the Turtles are jumping out of one plane onto the other.

Better? :trazz: (The only correct and appropriate answer is "[your choice of expletive] NO.")

Vicky82
02-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Didn't notice before, Mikey is sitting on top of Raph's shell.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/4c1f2fc1101ba3d2e1b1198e60fdcfd7/tumblr_o27fn2Ktsu1saqq0to1_540.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Didn't notice before, Mikey is sitting on top of Raph's shell.

https://41.media.tumblr.com/4c1f2fc1101ba3d2e1b1198e60fdcfd7/tumblr_o27fn2Ktsu1saqq0to1_540.jpg

Stop it, Vicky. You're gonna rile up the T-cest crowd. :tlol:

DarkLightDragon
02-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Though how he manages to support Mikey's weight I'll never know sans obligatory "f*ck logic."

Candy Kappa
02-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Though how he manages to support Mikey's weight I'll never know sans obligatory "f*ck logic."

Clearly he digs his toes and fingers through the concrete walls using his super powers to stay aloft. Supporting Mikey is probably easy peacy, as all four of them can hold a giant steel constructed radio tower.

Technogeek29
02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Clearly he digs his toes and fingers through the concrete walls using his super powers to stay aloft. Supporting Mikey is probably easy peacy, as all four of them can hold a giant steel constructed radio tower.

Or throw a 1 ton frigate.

METALHEAD
02-08-2016, 01:36 PM
gonna give this movie all of my money.

gonna see it atleast 5 times, omg this movie looks so cool, so fresh! so awesome!:tgrin::tgrin::tgrin:

Amaranthus
02-08-2016, 01:37 PM
You're delusional.

Zak The Neutrino
02-08-2016, 01:41 PM

I think this is the worst argument I've heard yet.

It is 2016 and in the year 2016 we've fully seen from Marvel studios how people can respect a franchise and make a great movie based on a comic book.

Technogeek29
02-08-2016, 01:45 PM
I think this is the worst argument I've heard yet.

It is 2016 and in the year 2016 we've fully seen from Marvel studios how people can respect a franchise and make a great movie based on a comic book.

But ZAK we already got that right. It was called TMNT 1990.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 01:46 PM
But ZAK we already got that right. It was called TMNT 1990.

Nah, not really. TMNT 1990 is the closest we've ever gotten, but it's still... eh.

Technogeek29
02-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Nah, not really. TMNT 1990 is the closest we've ever gotten, but it's still... eh.

At the rate we're going it might be the closet we get in a long, long time.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 01:52 PM
At the rate we're going it might be the closet we get in a long, long time.

Sad but true.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 01:55 PM
i love the first movie, and i love what the sequel has in store. delusional? no. i love the new movies. its possible for someone to actually love them unlike everyone who hates it just to be cool :tlol:

We hate it because we have good taste and care about the Intellectual Property.

METALHEAD
02-08-2016, 01:57 PM

i hav good taste too, man. i just accept change and take good with the bad. but then, i never seen anything bad about it. at least i'm not alone who love these movies.

DigificWriter
02-08-2016, 01:58 PM

In the words of Bad News Barrett, "can we have some decorum, please?"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 02:01 PM
i hav good taste too, man. i just accept change and take good with the bad. but then, i never seen anything bad about it. at least i'm not alone who love these movies.

Your statement is self-contradicting and thus invalid.

It is possible to enjoy the movie for what it is, if one desires. But by claiming that "i never seen anything bad about it", you reveal that you do not, in fact, have good taste, otherwise you would realize:

Eric Sachs' evil plan makes no sense on any level
The training of the Turtles and Splinter is insultingly stupid
Splinter and Shredder's backstory is non-existent

That's just scratching the surface.

DigificWriter
02-08-2016, 02:04 PM
^ "Good" and "Bad" are entirely subjective things. Yes, the reboot isn't perfect and does have things about it that, if you really stop and analyze what's going on, don't pass the "does this make sense?" test, but it's hardly the first TMNT-related project to be "guilty" of said 'crime'.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 02:08 PM
^ "Good" and "Bad" are entirely subjective things. Yes, the reboot isn't perfect and does have things about it that, if you really stop and analyze what's going on, don't pass the "does this make sense?" test, but it's hardly the first TMNT-related project to be "guilty" of said 'crime'.

Yeah, sure... "subjective."

Go eat some subjectively "bad" sushi and tell me how you feel afterwards.

METALHEAD
02-08-2016, 02:08 PM
meh. like he said, movie isnt perfect. still gonna love how fun it was to watch.

Technogeek29
02-08-2016, 02:15 PM

You mean shooting the Turtles with Guns even though they created them to be bullet proof and should've known that, yet act surprise that the experiments they made bullet proof are in fact "bullet proof?" Or the fact the Turtles how shown feats of throwing a frigate yet don't have the upper body strength to over power a man in a robotic suit? can destroy a car with their own body implying they weigh as much as a car. Yet get thrown around as if they are lighter than air.

TrickOrTreater
02-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by METALHEAD
i love the first movie, and i love what the sequel has in store. delusional? no. i love the new movies. its possible for someone to actually love them unlike everyone who hates it just to be cool

In the words of Bad News Barrett, "can we have some decorum, please?"

Yeah. Let's get some "decorum."

DigificWriter
02-08-2016, 02:20 PM
You mean shooting the Turtles with Guns even though they created them to be bullet proof and should've known that, yet act surprise that the experiments they made bullet proof are in fact "bullet proof?" Or the fact the Turtles how shown feats of throwing a frigate yet don't have the upper body strength to over power a man in a robotic suit? can destroy a car with their own body implying they weigh as much as a car. Yet get thrown around as if they are lighter than air.

I'm not going to try and pretend like those aren't legitimate issues that one could take with the movie. However, I'm also not going to sit here and say that they make the movie OBJECTIVELY bad, since "bad", as I noted, is very much a subjective thing.

There's a reason the phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure" exists, and it's entirely applicable here with regards to both this movie and its predecessor.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-08-2016, 02:21 PM
The root of the problem is people too insecure to admit they enjoy some things that are bad. Taste is subjective, quality is not.

METALHEAD
02-08-2016, 02:21 PM

movie magic! *jazz hands*

DigificWriter
02-08-2016, 02:22 PM
The root of the problem is people too insecure to admit they enjoy some things that are bad. Taste is subjective, quality is not.

Since not everyone out there believes that the TMNT reboot is "bad" (flawed, yes, but not "bad"), quality is also subjective.

TrickOrTreater
02-08-2016, 02:23 PM
movie magic! *jazz hands*

Stupid movie!

Amaranthus
02-08-2016, 02:24 PM
My name Michael Bay.
Not really though. Please don't kill me.

GoldMutant
02-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Stupid movie!

Like, stupid movie! :P

TheSkeletonMan939
02-08-2016, 02:35 PM
It feels almost like a toy commercial.

Use the robo-arms on the turtle van to take out enemy ninja!
It's the evil Krang! Watch out for his whirlwind super-move!

Amaranthus
02-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Those robo-arms make a nice addition to the list of dumb as f*ck things about these movies.

TheSkeletonMan939
02-08-2016, 02:37 PM
At least they don't look like they'll last long.

Bry
02-08-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm not going to try and pretend like those aren't legitimate issues that one could take with the movie. However, I'm also not going to sit here and say that they make the movie OBJECTIVELY bad, since "bad", as I noted, is very much a subjective thing.

It really isn't, not in all cases. In these cases in particular, it comes down to the writing and direction of the movie being inconsistent and nonsensical within its own established "rules" and narrative. That actually is objectively bad filmmaking.

TigerClaw
02-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Here is a new 30 second tv spot, no new footage however.

kZUZ15Hz8p8