PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Raph's Girl
02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Well it's happening. The 8th book will be released July 31st (Harry and JK's birthday)! So at least we know what we'll be doing in August. Unless you live in the UK and can see the London play. :P

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/harry-potter-cursed-child-released-book-article-1.2526724

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Heading to Amazon RIGHT NOW to preorder. :tcool:

EDIT: No physical media preorder available yet. Added to my wishlist and will monitor... must needs hardcover!

Candy Kappa
02-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Oh cool, I thought it was just gonna be a theater play.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Oh cool, I thought it was just gonna be a theater play.

I'm not very surprised that they're going to novelize it as well... it's easier to sell books than tickets to a play.

Raph's Girl
02-10-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm not very surprised that they're going to novelize it as well... it's easier to sell books than tickets to a play.

It's not really novelized. It's the script to the play. But it might be novelized later in the "Special Edition". But at least it's something for those who can't afford to fly out to London.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-10-2016, 12:46 PM
It's not really novelized. It's the script to the play. But it might be novelized later in the "Special Edition". But at least it's something for those who can't afford to fly out to London.

Hopefully that. Either way, instant must-buy.

Mew
02-10-2016, 12:57 PM
I'll be sure to read it.

ranger_scout
02-10-2016, 09:13 PM
I'm so glad I have something to look forward to read this summer. I probably couldn't have made it to England to see the play, so this is perfect.

chrisdude
02-13-2016, 06:23 AM
I wouldn't mind reading a play. I also totally expect this play to be filmed and released on video. That would be free money for them. If they novelized it, they probably hire someone else to do it. Otherwise, Rowling would truly be writing another harry potter book, and I don't get the impression she ever wants to do that.

The Deadman
02-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Inb4 it comes out in theaters next year.

NinjaPug
06-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Plot summary of The Cursed Child. Yikes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/10/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-spoilers-here-s-the-plot-of-the-play.html

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Plot summary of The Cursed Child. Yikes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/10/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-spoilers-here-s-the-plot-of-the-play.html

That sounds extremely convoluted. I'm desperately hoping one of two things will come of this:

#1. Totally bogus
#2. True, but works better when actually read/watched.

But this... yikes is right.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-11-2016, 01:26 PM
I couldn't get halfway through that without starting to feel my head spin. Geez... this is why more often than not a "never the end" ending is better than some weird continuation like this.

snake
06-11-2016, 02:02 PM
What the f*ck was that. How canon is this book?

Utrommaniac
06-11-2016, 02:09 PM
More like "Harry Potter and the Parallel Universe", wtf XD ?

Candy Kappa
06-11-2016, 02:20 PM
I like it.

NinjaPug
06-11-2016, 02:22 PM
What the f*ck was that. How canon is this book?

100% canon. Rowling wrote the story.

CyberCubed
06-11-2016, 02:23 PM
All this proves is any long running series should end completely before it turns to crap. This always happens when an old series is revived...they always screw things up.

Powder
06-11-2016, 03:01 PM
That just reads like fan-fiction.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-11-2016, 08:09 PM
The clever thing about the Time-Turner in Azkaban was that it had limitations. It could only go back a few hours, and you couldn't run into yourself while doing it.

Now it's just... what a mess. I really hope this isn't a legitimate leak. But like the movies themselves I guess the series had to go into the toilet at some point. Rowling just couldn't let the series be.

snake
06-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Isn't Voldemort incapable of love? How the f*ck does he have a kid? The plot literally f*cking centers around inconsistant time travel rules. Goddamn Rowling pulled a Lucas here.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-11-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm still hopeful this is bogus.

C'mon... Voldemort ain't having no kid. Dude doesn't even have a NOSE, do you really think he's got functioning junk? :trazz:

Shark_Blade
06-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Maybe he raped someone. Ugh still bad story telling.

I still cringe with that awful name... Albus Severus Potter.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Isn't Voldemort incapable of love? How the f*ck does he have a kid? The plot literally f*cking centers around inconsistant time travel rules. Goddamn Rowling pulled a Lucas here.

She's so desperate to make something people will read. After Harry Potter she wrote two or three other books under pseudonyms that didn't sell well and were laughed at by critics.

The problem is that she had a pretty good idea of the general 7-book plotline when she was writing the first, I feel like. Since that story is done she has to write this BS stuff because she can't figure out something else the Potter kids can do.

Also, how the hell will this make sense as a play? It doesn't make sense on paper.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-12-2016, 04:44 PM
She's so desperate to make something people will read. After Harry Potter she wrote two or three other books under pseudonyms that didn't sell well and were laughed at by critics.

The problem is that she had a pretty good idea of the general 7-book plotline when she was writing the first, I feel like. Since that story is done she has to write this BS stuff because she can't figure out something else the Potter kids can do.

Also, how the hell will this make sense as a play? It doesn't make sense on paper.

Given that, and how plays are extremely restricted in what they can successfully communicate, I am pretty sure this is bogus. Way too complicated.

Plays have fewer set pieces and locations, and are dialogue heavy, not action heavy.

CyberCubed
06-13-2016, 12:22 AM
I actually hope it comes out in novel form just to tarnish the franchise a bit. All long-running franchises have their downfall eventually, especially ones that are "revived" years after they had planned endings just because they want to make some money off the brand again.

Trust me, 10 years from now Harry Potter will be ruined similar to Star Wars fans views of the prequel trilogy, or any other long running franchise that had its crap years.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-31-2016, 02:51 PM
Did it come out today? Was the crappy leaked plot true?

Utrommaniac
07-31-2016, 11:18 PM
You don't need to be capable of love to be capable of sex. Not that it would be his intent anyway. All Voldemort would be after was a biological successor (Heir of Slytherin line), and that would be the end of it.

Storyline's still a lot of bull, though. It would probably do fine without the time travel aspect.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Did it come out today? Was the crappy leaked plot true?

You don't need to be capable of love to be capable of sex. Not that it would be his intent anyway. All Voldemort would be after was a biological successor (Heir of Slytherin line), and that would be the end of it.

Storyline's still a lot of bull, though. It would probably do fine without the time travel aspect.

So Voldy DID procreate? Because all the reviews I'm finding online seem to point towards that idiotic leaked plot being legit.

This is a sad day for me... waiting on my libraries to get me a reserved copy. It looks like I might have been wise indeed to wait and read it for free before I buy a copy.

Zak The Neutrino
08-01-2016, 09:49 AM
wow reading this thread is disappointing. I didn't know anything about the plot yet of the new book and was really looking forward to this. Now not so much.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Sigh. Just so much sigh.

Major letdown.

I'm still gonna read it for myself and see if it plays out better than I'm thinking but still... I'm just sitting here trying to comfort this poor shark who got jumped.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Wow, so the leaked plot WAS true. Jeez, it sounds like a 16-year old's fan-fiction.

Still looking forward to the film adaptation in 15 years though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Wow, so the leaked plot WAS true. Jeez, it sounds like a 16-year old's fan-fiction.

Still looking forward to the film adaptation in 15 years though.

That's the worst part of it. It reads like bad fan fiction. BAD. FAN. FICTION.

It's all Harry's fault. He named his children with ridiculous homages. No kid should go through life named Albus Severus. :tlol:

Roseangelo
08-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Read it. Liked it. Not perfect, but glad to have it.

Peanut
08-03-2016, 03:32 PM
It's ****ing trash. Blew through it today in about 3 and a half hours. Fan fiction level garbage. It has so many plot holes and such a complete disregard for established canon that I kind of can't believe JK gave it the nod.

BubblyShell22
08-09-2016, 03:44 PM
I would have preferred it in novel form, but despite that, I didn't think it was that bad. I always though Voldy and Bellatrix had a thing for each other, and now it's been confirmed that they did and they had a kid. I agree that the Time Turner stuff deviated from canon and also feel that it shouldn't have had Harry in the title at all as it was mainly about the next generation. But I did like the kids and thought Scorpius was really cool.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-09-2016, 05:38 PM
The characters of Scorpius Malfoy and Albus Potter are both great. I'd read an entire series with those two kids. It always bugged me that we never saw one decent Slytherin in the canon Harry Potter sevenology. And seeing Draco as a protective father was awesome.

BUT.

Voldemort does not procreate, he is immortal, a shell of his own being, and has no friends or love. He is incapable of love, and has no desire for an heir. He is his own heir.

The basic premise of the story was bogus. The understanding of the Harry Potter world and some of its characters (Ron, Voldemort) was completely absent. But at least it had a couple of nice new characters.

BubblyShell22
08-10-2016, 10:19 AM
But sex doesn't always have to involve love per se. I think Voldy did it with Bellatrix because he wanted someone to be his successor once he died. The fact that he was having an affair with a married woman also points to the fact that he didn't really love her. He used her for his own gain and that happens all the time in the world.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-10-2016, 10:22 AM
But sex doesn't always have to involve love per se. I think Voldy did it with Bellatrix because he wanted someone to be his successor once he died. The fact that he was having an affair with a married woman also points to the fact that he didn't really love her. He used her for his own gain and that happens all the time in the world.

Voldemort was not interested in an heir; he believed he would live forever.

So this is absurd on two counts:

#1. Voldy doesn't feel love.
#2. Voldy wouldn't have wanted an heir.

Fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

Shark_Blade
08-11-2016, 08:44 AM
I ship Albus and Scorpius together. Rose can go sit on a cactus and rotate.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-11-2016, 08:49 AM
#2. Voldy wouldn't have wanted an heir.

He doesn't even need an heir! Voldemort's life plan was literally to live forever!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2016, 10:20 AM
He doesn't even need an heir! Voldemort's life plan was literally to live forever!

Exactamundo. You get it.

BubblyShell22
08-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Yes, but he still had sex with Bellatrix so even if he didn't love her, there had to be another motive or why would he even do that? My guess is that even if he felt he'd live forever, he probably figured it would be best to have a back up plan just in case that plan failed and so he made sure he had an heir to carry on his name. Either that or he just wanted to get laid, didn't use protection and popped out a kid. Either way, Delphi was born.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Yes, but he still had sex with Bellatrix so even if he didn't love her, there had to be another motive or why would he even do that? My guess is that even if he felt he'd live forever, he probably figured it would be best to have a back up plan just in case that plan failed and so he made sure he had an heir to carry on his name. Either that or he just wanted to get laid, didn't use protection and popped out a kid. Either way, Delphi was born.

Just because a book got published with Rowling's name on it doesn't mean it should have happened or makes any sense given the canon of the original seven stories. It flies against everything Rowling told us about Voldemort; it is a mistake. If it WAS a backup plan, that should have been explicitly mentioned somewhere.

I liked Delphi as a character, but she could have simply been the daughter of Bellatrix or some such. Hmm... Bellatrix and Lucius's kid, maybe? Draco's half-sister?

Andrew NDB
08-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Either that or he just wanted to get laid, didn't use protection and popped out a kid.

I don't know why it couldn't just be as simple as this.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-11-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't know why it couldn't just be as simple as this.

Voldemort was entirely obsessed with death. He killed muggles, wizards, his own Death Eaters - whoever he felt like killing. He went so far as to destroy his own soul. There's no reason he'd engage in an act that results in brand new life.

plastroncafe
08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Voldemort wasn't obsessed with death, he was obsessed with immortality. In cheating death. That's why he fractured his own soul into pieces: because he wanted to cheat death itself.

Tom Riddle was incapable of feeling love, due to his own conception having not involved any love to begin with. His mother raped his father by means of a love potion.

A man so obsessed with immortality wouldn't have any issue at all at trying to obtain it through any means necessary. Including the good ol' fashioned way of making an heir.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Voldemort wasn't obsessed with death, he was obsessed with immortality. In cheating death. That's why he fractured his own soul into pieces: because he wanted to cheat death itself.

Tom Riddle was incapable of feeling love, due to his own conception having not involved any love to begin with. His mother raped his father by means of a love potion.

A man so obsessed with immortality wouldn't have any issue at all at trying to obtain it through any means necessary. Including the good ol' fashioned way of making an heir.

Immortality and having an heir are two completely different things.

Living forever versus your family name or bloodline living forever? Not the same thing.

plastroncafe
08-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Living forever versus your family name or bloodline living forever? Not the same thing.

Apple and oranges are still both fruit.
Having an heir is a form of immortality.

Electric
08-12-2016, 11:41 AM

While I agree with you there, the Dark Knight Rises' Ras Al Ghul is ringing in my head

"There are many forms of immortality, Bruce"

Hence, Talia

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Apple and oranges are still both fruit.
Having an heir is a form of immortality.

Absolutely, but from what we've read, I really don't think Voldemort would see it that way.

Having a kid would be a helluva lot easier than living on the back of Quirrell's head. That level of obsession (plus the whole "pieces of eight" debacle) speaks to immortality for ME, not some brat who doesn't deserve my blood and name. Or so I imagine Riddle would see it.

Remember, he hated his own bloodline. Hated his muggle father.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-12-2016, 11:42 AM
While I agree with you there, the Dark Knight Rises' Ras Al Ghul is ringing in my head

"There are many forms of immortality, Bruce"

Hence, Talia

Yes, but now we're comparing a terrorist to Hitler. Different levels of evil and crazy.

plastroncafe
08-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Absolutely, but from what we've read, I really don't think Voldemort would see it that way.

Having a kid would be a helluva lot easier than living on the back of Quirrell's head. That level of obsession (plus the whole "pieces of eight" debacle) speaks to immortality for ME, not some brat who doesn't deserve my blood and name. Or so I imagine Riddle would see it.

Remember, he hated his own bloodline. Hated his muggle father.

His Muggle father.
A child born of him and a witch would have more magic. He'd be breeding out the muggle impurity.

Not only that, but it would speak to the Blood Supremacy desires of many of his followers.

And...there's the possibility of using that child as an additional horcrux, thus making him able to finally rid himself of Harry Potter without killing himself entirely.

This is all fanwank and conjecture on my part, because I haven't read Cursed Child.
But I don't think it's beyond the realm of the possible, or out of character, for Voldemort to create a child to use it elsewhere for some other purpose.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-12-2016, 11:48 AM
His Muggle father.
A child born of him and a witch would have more magic. He'd be breeding out the muggle impurity.

Not only that, but it would speak to the Blood Supremacy desires of many of his followers.

And...there's the possibility of using that child as an additional horcrux, thus making him able to finally rid himself of Harry Potter without killing himself entirely.

This is all fanwank and conjecture on my part, because I haven't read Cursed Child.
But I don't think it's beyond the realm of the possible, or out of character, for Voldemort to create a child to use it elsewhere for some other purpose.

I don't see it at all.

Still, go get a copy from the library or B&N and give it a read. It's definitely worth reading once for Scorpius and Albus.

plastroncafe
08-12-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm kind of holding out for a recording of the London performance.
(not a fan of reading plays)

BubblyShell22
08-12-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm glad some people agree with my theory. Riddle definitely hated his family and where he came from, but creating an heir gives him a plan of still having his line live on even if he dies. Makes me wonder when he did this within the realm of the seven books though.

Andrew NDB
08-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Is it so weird that he might like to have sex every once in a while? Even if he's into evil and immortality and all of that? I don't understand why there needs to be so many layers read into it.

plastroncafe
08-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Is it so weird that he might like to have sex every once in a while? Even if he's into evil and immortality and all of that? I don't understand why there needs to be so many layers read into it.

I like to think that unlike this world, the Harry Potter one has spectacular birth control.

Jester
08-12-2016, 05:35 PM
SPERMICIDUS INSIDE-US!!!

Sorry...I'll stop.

Candy Kappa
08-12-2016, 05:46 PM
His Muggle father.

I had similar thoughts. Or, a child of his blood could possibly be a safety net if he found a spell to take over that body should something happen to his again.

plastroncafe
08-12-2016, 06:03 PM
SPERMICIDUS INSIDE-US!!!

Sorry...I'll stop.

... I think I've read that fic...

BubblyShell22
08-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Or maybe he Imperiused her and did it that way. But I do know she did love him. I remember in the seventh book, Rowling says that Bellatrix called out to Voldemort like someone speaking about a lover or something to that effect.

AT-Man
09-21-2016, 06:15 AM
Did anyone read this book or see the play? I read it and I think it's tolerable enough. The events are pretty stupid, but the new characters themselves I have no problem with welcoming to the official canon.