PDA

View Full Version : Legend Of Zelda Thirtieth Aniverssary.

Etsyturtle2
02-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Title says it all. I never got too much into this series, but I've enjoyed what I played, and appreciate that it is also kinda a Nintendo mascot.

Prowler
02-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Happy birthday, Legend of Zelda.

I still remember playing the first ever Zelda game and feeling lost from the first minute on. It sure gave you a great sense of adventure and exploration. That game was a box full of surprises.

Then I played Ocarina, which was jaw dropping back in the late 90s. For years I considered that to be the GOAT game. Some years later, I finally managed to get my hands on A Link to the Past. Probably my favorite Zelda nowadays. It has aged better than Ocarina, mostly thanks to being a SNES game released at the time when 2D gaming was at its finest.

Wind Waker was fun, but a bit too easy, imo. Plus, the triforce search was boring. I did like the sailing, but I think the game had more potential. I'd probably have liked it more if I had played it back when it came out, since I was still a kid at the time.

Haven't played much of Majora's. I need to finish that game someday.

I'm yet to play the portable games, TP and SS.

CyberCubed
02-21-2016, 01:03 PM
I've played all the games to date multiple times.

I even suffered through the DS Zelda's and Skyword Sword twice.

Prowler
02-21-2016, 01:10 PM
I've played all the games to date multiple times.

I even suffered through the DS Zelda's and Skyword Sword twice.
Suffered? I'm guessing you weren't a fan of those games.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I've played some of Adventure of Link too, but haven't been able to beat it yet. That game is hard.

Storm Eagle
02-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Wind Waker was fun, but a bit too easy, imo.

That's the only Zelda game I've ever played through without ever getting a "Game Over".

Oh and I forgot to mention, I've played some of Adventure of Link too, but haven't been able to beat it yet. That game is hard.

What part are you up to in that game?

Aaronardo
02-21-2016, 02:37 PM
I even suffered through Skyword Sword twice.

Woah, Skyward Sword wasn't that bad. Worst 3D Zelda? Sure. But still an amazing game barring that horrible Link model.

Prowler
02-21-2016, 02:58 PM
That's the only Zelda game I've ever played through without ever getting a "Game Over".

What part are you up to in that game?

I don't think I've died a single time in WW either. And if I did, it was only that one time.

What part am I in AoL? Good question... I don't remember. And can't find the GBA cartridge of it(the version I have) anywhere. But I don't think I've gotten very far in it. So probably less than halfway through it.

ssjup81
02-21-2016, 06:13 PM
I haven't played all of the Zelda games, but my liking of the series is kind of ironic.

I played the very first one when it was still new in the states. I didn't have an NES, but my friend's family did so I'd play at her house. We played the first Zelda game. I was maybe 6 or 7 at the time. Anyway, we tried playing it, but we just got incredibly bored and it was confusing for us. That made me dislike the game and never gave the franchise a second glance....until the Super Mario Bros Super Show a couple of years later.

Despite my dislike of the games at that time, I really liked the show and looked forward to Fridays when the SMBSS aired a LoZ cartoon in place of the Mario one. I liked the idea of that world and stuff.

A few years go by. No Zelda stuff...until I played A Link to the Past on the SNES. I thought it was fun and interesting, but I played it way after the fact. I borrowed my friend's copy of the game. It was really fun, and everything that frustrated me about the original game was pretty much gone. It was making me a fan of the franchise. I then received OoT and that was when I was definitely a full-on fan. I actually went back to play the other games I missed (home consoles).

So yeah, thanks to the cartoon and a A Link to the Past, I got into the series and OoT made me a full on fan.

I wish I had more Legend of Zelda merch, though...but I'd say my most prized possession is my original Japanese copy of the first game for the Famicom disk system.

TurtleTitan97
02-21-2016, 06:16 PM
I remember being introduced to Zelda through the manga adaptation of Ocarina of Time. That, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker are my favorite games.

Storm Eagle
02-22-2016, 12:06 AM
What part am I in AoL? Good question... I don't remember. And can't find the GBA cartridge of it(the version I have) anywhere. But I don't think I've gotten very far in it. So probably less than halfway through it.

I remember it being kind of hard for me too, although my cousin was the one who played through most of it. I'm the one who worked on the last two palaces and finished the game.

I haven't played all of the Zelda games, but my liking of the series is kind of ironic.

Despite my dislike of the games at that time, I really liked the show and looked forward to Fridays when the SMBSS aired a LoZ cartoon in place of the Mario one. I liked the idea of that world and stuff.

So yeah, thanks to the cartoon and a A Link to the Past, I got into the series and OoT made me a full on fan.

The cartoon is kind of what made me want to play the game too. I'd watch the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, but since I was going to an afterschool center on Mondays through Thursdays, the Zelda cartoon was the one I'd get to watch most of the time. Christmas was coming up, and I was in a store and saw Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on a shelf, and asked for it. I'm not sure why I asked for that one when there was the very first Legend of Zelda game available. Anyway I'd get that later, and I'd get all the other Zelda games in the order in which they came out.

TheBlueTurtle1
02-22-2016, 01:37 AM
Best game series ever. Yes I do love Skyword Sword!

Prowler
02-22-2016, 08:04 AM
I remember being introduced to Zelda through the manga adaptation of Ocarina of Time. That, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker are my favorite games.
Well that's certainly an interesting way of getting into the series. I doubt most people who have read such manga adaptations haven't played a single Zelda game.

I've only read the Ocarina, Majora's and ALttP's manga adaptations thus far. I think Ocarina's was alright. Obviously they couldn't make it huge sense playing a game is different from reading a comic/manga, but I think it was an interesting adaptation and that it didn't go far away from the source material.

Majora's wasn't bad either, although I don't remember it as vividly. I've read those mangas back in 2009 or so already, iirc.

I recall not liking A Link to the Past's much. It seemed a tad different from the game. Then again, being a 2D top down game from 1992, ALttP didn't have much of a story as the 3D instalments of the series had, so I guess the author had to add some of his ideas to it in order to get a proper story. Cant' say I was a big fan of it, though.

AT-Man
02-22-2016, 08:10 AM
They gotta release that Four Swords Anniversary Edition again! I want it and I need it.

The Deadman
02-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Is it sad i never got into Zelda until i bought the NES and SNES games on the Wii U?

Storm Eagle
02-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Is it sad i never got into Zelda until i bought the NES and SNES games on the Wii U?

Well, you have to start somewhere.

Prowler
02-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Better late than never. If you weren't born yet by the time the NES and the SNES games were out, what choice did you have?

What did you think of the games you've played so far? Which one did you like the most?

Cure
02-22-2016, 05:02 PM
A Link to the Past was my first Zelda. If it had been the original, I would have never played another one.

Powder
02-22-2016, 06:10 PM
A Link to the Past was my first Zelda. If it had been the original, I would have never played another one.

Same here, honestly.

turtle1237
02-22-2016, 07:56 PM
My first first Zelda game was on the old black and white game boy.

Link's awakeing. I must of played that game over 1000 times lol.

Next was a Link to the past, and up. I really felt sorry for Link's awakeing. Marin, and Mario lol, and all the fun people on the island gone once that the windfish wakes up.

It was sad seeing Marin singing her song, and poof she is gone. I loved Marin.

Turo602
02-23-2016, 01:04 AM
The first Zelda game I played was the original on NES but the two that got me into the series were The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. Wind Waker because it caught my attention and I was greatly anticipating it and Ocarina of Time because The Master Quest came free with the pre-order of The Wind Waker. I've played and own every game in the series but have yet to pass the Gameboy and Gameboy Color games as well as Majora's Mask, Four Swords, and Spirit Tracks. It's definitely one of my favorite if not favorite series in gaming and I can't wait to get my hands on Zelda U.

TheBlueTurtle1
02-23-2016, 01:54 AM
The first one I played was the zelda game on the Nes, that came with a gold cartridge:o I loved it, still do now, but to me Ocarina of time was where the series cemented it's awesomeness. I'll never forget how mind blowing it was when I first turned it on. Pure magic:D

Etsyturtle2
02-23-2016, 05:16 AM
The first one I played was the zelda game on the Nes, that came with a gold cartridge:o I loved it, still do now, but to me Ocarina of time was where the series cemented it's awesomeness. I'll never forget how mind blowing it was when I first turned it on. Pure magic:D

Zelda 1 or 2. They both had a gold cartridge.

PangolinFeets
02-23-2016, 05:22 AM
They gotta release that Four Swords Anniversary Edition again! I want it and I need it.

They really just need to re-release the actual version of that game. The Anni-ed was not very good.
I'm a pretty huge Zelda fan. My fav is, and will probably always be, Link's Awakening. :3

Storm Eagle
02-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Zelda 1 or 2. They both had a gold cartridge.

My Zelda II cartridge corroded.

The Deadman
02-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Better late than never. If you weren't born yet by the time the NES and the SNES games were out, what choice did you have?

What did you think of the games you've played so far? Which one did you like the most?

Oh i was definitely born by the time those came out, my games of choice though back then were Mario, TMNT and Donkey Kong, lol.

Link to the Past was the best one IMO, no idea what they were thinking making Zelda II a side scroller.

Prowler
02-25-2016, 02:48 PM
My Zelda II cartridge corroded.
My Zelda 1 cartridge is gold. I love it. As is my N64 Majora's Mask cartridge. Ocarina's was regular grey.

Oh i was definitely born by the time those came out, my games of choice though back then were Mario, TMNT and Donkey Kong, lol.

Link to the Past was the best one IMO, no idea what they were thinking making Zelda II a side scroller.
There was only one Zelda game out, yet. So they decided to take a risk and make Zelda II a sidescroller instead of a top-down game. Zelda II sold pretty well, so it didn't hurt it much despite not exactly being considered by most people as one of the best Zelda games.

It wasn't until A Link to the Past that Zelda got its formula down.

CyberCubed
03-05-2016, 01:10 AM
I'm replaying Skyward Sword right now and its just meh. I got through it fine the first time around but everything just feels so tedious. I don't feel this way with any other 3D Zelda, not even Wind Waker or Twilight Princess which I've beaten 4 times each.

The overworld design, graphics, enemy design, motion controls just doesn't grab me. The dungeons are pretty decent and some very good, and I do like the overall story, but its the weakest 3D Zelda.

ssjup81
03-05-2016, 02:20 AM
I'm replaying Skyward Sword right now and its just meh. I got through it fine the first time around but everything just feels so tedious. I don't feel this way with any other 3D Zelda, not even Wind Waker or Twilight Princess which I've beaten 4 times each.

The overworld design, graphics, enemy design, motion controls just doesn't grab me. The dungeons are pretty decent and some very good, and I do like the overall story, but its the weakest 3D Zelda.Personally, I don't want motion control with a Zelda game period which is why I disliked the Wii version of Twilight Princess and prefer my Gamecube version to it, as it was originally intended for that system anyway. I want to play in the traditional way, and that's my problem. Sure, let them have their motion control settings, but make it optional, not forced. I know I would've played more of Skyward Sword for that reason alone.

The best thing about Skyward Sword is probably the characterizations of Link and Zelda...along with the story.

CyberCubed
03-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Skyward Sword is the next game in line to get an HD remake, probably won't happen till the next console sometime. I wonder if they'll do away with motion controls entirely.

sdp
03-05-2016, 03:43 PM
I can't remember what my first Zelda game was anymore, the first, Zelda II or Links Awakening. I'm guessing it was AoL or LA but can't remember anymore. When I played my first Zelda we were already in the N64 generation but way before OOT came out. I used to think Zelda looked extremely dull and boring so I had always avoided it, even the N64 previews from when the N64 launched which look nothing like OOT made me feel like it was not for me. But one summer I my mom bought LA because it was very cheap at a store or because I saw the golden cartridge at a used game store. Both happened the same summer I just can't remember which. In my summer house we had my old NES but I found a store that sold used games so I would go there to buy games for it.

I quickly got stuck with LA but I still enjoyed the game very much and the premise of it all being a dream. The ending where you realize everyone in your journey is about to "die" when you wake up was something totally new to me and no game has matched that. I remember being very excited about Zelda II since I had never read anything about it on any magazine, only the original. I found the game very hard but still played through a lot of it. Luckily there was another save file that had everything already. And my memories of the original were great as well, so I don't know why its getting some hate here. I had already played Mario 64 by this time but I still felt like I was discovering this "open world" unlike any other game for the first time. I loved that and had plenty of fun with it.

By the time OOT came out everyone was a Zelda fan but I was the "guru" of the class since I had played past entries of the games. I've never completed ALTTP, I first played it when it came out on GBA since I didn't have a SNES anymore when I got into Zelda. Four Swords Adventures is a hidden gem in the "mainline" Zelda games that not many know of so I always like to mention it.

I used to be hardcore into the history and timeline of Zelda and this was before it was cool back in 1999 when not many people used to discuss it, there was only one active forum/website that dealt with it. Another great memory I have from that time was the "Sky" temple and getting the triforce in OOT. I spent so many hours researching and discussing this back in Hyrule The Land of Zelda website.

They really just need to re-release the actual version of that game. The Anni-ed was not very good.

How was it not very good? From what I read its bascially the same game but with added content and ability to play alone. Sure it doesn't have online play and it was a stupid decision to release it as a bonus download when the game works best as a multiplayer game so the more people that have it the better, dont know whose boneheaded decision was to make it a limited download that's only been available twice but its still easier to find people who have it than the dreaded 4 people link cable and 4 games you needed for the original. I only ever played the original once with two other people so I don't remember much.

AT-Man
03-06-2016, 04:14 AM
I'm a pretty huge Zelda fan. My fav is, and will probably always be, Link's Awakening. :3

I have the original, but how am i gonna play it when no one else does?

sdp
03-06-2016, 09:33 PM
About the gold carts, most NES Zelda games are gold, the grey version is ironically rarer since it was for the final print run. I remember when getting the zelda game at the used store I knew the grey version had a lower print run but still decided on the gold one because it just looked cooler. I don't regret that decision. For Majora's Mask all cartridges are gold but if you pre-ordered the game instead of a normal sticker you had a "holographic" sticker, I used to have it. And for OOT I don't know how it was done, all I know is that I had a grey cart and then one day while entering ToysRUs I saw on the customer service area OOT with a "shiny" box and and I think collectors edition logo. Somehow I convinced my parents to buy it for me and return the regular version. I was the coolest kid in class because I was the only one with the Gold version.

So apparently for the 30th anniversary we're not only getting Twilight Princess but also Picross Twilight Princess game as a prize in the new MyNintendo rewards system. While you can't complain much for something that will likely be free/a reward, why not just make it a generic Zelda Picross theme instead of only based on one game? I doubt we'll see Picross games for every zelda game released from now on but whatever.

Storm Eagle
03-07-2016, 12:31 AM
About the gold carts, most NES Zelda games are gold, the grey version is ironically rarer since it was for the final print run. I remember when getting the zelda game at the used store I knew the grey version had a lower print run but still decided on the gold one because it just looked cooler. I don't regret that decision. For Majora's Mask all cartridges are gold but if you pre-ordered the game instead of a normal sticker you had a "holographic" sticker, I used to have it. And for OOT I don't know how it was done, all I know is that I had a grey cart and then one day while entering ToysRUs I saw on the customer service area OOT with a "shiny" box and and I think collectors edition logo. Somehow I convinced my parents to buy it for me and return the regular version. I was the coolest kid in class because I was the only one with the Gold version.

I managed to snag a limited edition Majora's Mask cartridge, and I didn't get to pre-order the game. I got it the day after Christmas in 2000. The day before Christmas, I saw some at TRU. I had the money to get it after Christmas, but they were all gone. Then I found one at Comp USA.

You also got the gold cartridge for Ocarina of Time if you pre-ordered, but you lucked out the same way I did with Majora's Mask. I didn't get to pre-order Ocarina of Time, and ended up with a regular gray cartridge of it. Then I traded it for a gold cartridge at Funcoland (I think it was still called that back then).

turtle1237
03-27-2016, 03:14 PM
I have ages and seasons for the gameboy color, still works after what 17 or so years lol.

But 2 weeks ago I did download both games off of the shop, for the 3ds. And I notice something I miss of later zelda games playing the ages seasons series.

The witch Maple, I forgot how much fun she was. Bumping into her and raceing for your and hers drop items. It was fun, and perhaps one of my favorite highlights of the older games. She drops potions, rings, money, and if your really lucky, a heart. You get some of the best items that are non weapons off of Maple.

I would really like to see her return, have not seen Maple since the remake of a link to the past.

Cipher
04-11-2016, 04:31 AM
I've played and beaten every game in the series save for Skyward Sword -- which I've tried to finish twice since owning it and given up out of boredom both times; truly hate that game -- and The Minish Cap, simply because I've never owned a copy.

My easy favorite is Majora's Mask, followed shortly by The Wind Waker, but after that it gets murky. I love both NES entries, so they probably come next, and it's hard to deny the charm of Ocarina of Time. All three of the Gameboy Color titles are great, though of the lot I probably get the most enjoyment out of Oracle of Seasons, which is incredibly challenging at times (actually, all three have a nice sense of difficulty). I'm unsure where I'd place Link to the Past in relation to anything after the NES titles in my ranking, and it's been a long time since I've played it. I enjoy both DS games, but they're difficult to rank as well. I might actually like Spirit Tracks more than the GBC titles; I'm not sure. Aesthetically, I like it even more than Ocarina, but I don't think that extends to gameplay. Twilight Princess and Link Between Worlds round out the bottom of my list, being competent but unremarkable, and way too easy to feel as satisfying as the others, and at the absolute nadir, the only Zelda game I truly dislike, is Skyward Sword.

Prowler
04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
I've played and beaten every game in the series save for Skyward Sword -- which I've tried to finish twice since owning it and given up out of boredom both times; truly hate that game -- and The Minish Cap, simply because I've never owned a copy.

My easy favorite is Majora's Mask, followed shortly by The Wind Waker, but after that it gets murky. I love both NES entries, so they probably come next, and it's hard to deny the charm of Ocarina of Time. All three of the Gameboy Color titles are great, though of the lot I probably get the most enjoyment out of Oracle of Seasons, which is incredibly challenging at times (actually, all three have a nice sense of difficulty). I'm unsure where I'd place Link to the Past in relation to anything after the NES titles in my ranking, and it's been a long time since I've played it. I enjoy both DS games, but they're difficult to rank as well. I might actually like Spirit Tracks more than the GBC titles; I'm not sure. Aesthetically, I like it even more than Ocarina, but I don't think that extends to gameplay. Twilight Princess and Link Between Worlds round out the bottom of my list, being competent but unremarkable, and way too easy to feel as satisfying as the others, and at the absolute nadir, the only Zelda game I truly dislike, is Skyward Sword.
You say you found TP and LBW a bit too easy, but then you rank WW as your 2nd favorite Zelda game? No offence, but it seems kinda odd to me since I found WW to be pretty easy for the most part. If there's a Zelda game I've never died in it was WW.

I have not played TP or LBW yet, but I have a hard time believing that they're easier games than WW. Unless WW has other elements that make it great for you.

Cipher
04-11-2016, 03:47 PM
You say you found TP and LBW a bit too easy, but then you rank WW as your 2nd favorite Zelda game? No offence, but it seems kinda odd to me since I found WW to be pretty easy for the most part. If there's a Zelda game I've never died in it was WW.

I have not played TP or LBW yet, but I have a hard time believing that they're easier games than WW. Unless WW has other elements that make it great for you.
Wind Waker's super easy. It's one of the rare times a sense of atmosphere and exploration override that for me.

(And, in terms of finding everything, it really doesn't hold your hand.)

TP and LBW are probably just as easy as WW though. I don't think there's an enemy who does more than one full heart of damage in TP.

Prowler
04-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Wind Waker's super easy. It's one of the rare times a sense of atmosphere and exploration override that for me.

(And, in terms of finding everything, it really doesn't hold your hand.)
Well WW has certainly aged well graphically wise and has an interesting world that makes exploration exciting like the older Zelda games did. But man, screw the
Triforce quest

And I cant' get over how easy WW is. Hell,
you even get handed the Nayru's pearl. No dungeon to obtain it.

The Tower of Gods and its boss fight were pretty cool, however. One of my favorite Zelda dungeons ever.

I think I'd have liked WW more as a kid. But I didn't play it until I was in my 20s. Seems like the kind of game that's magical to you when you're a kid.

I've had several people tell me that they have never once died in TP.

To be fair, Ocarina of Time wasn't the toughest game around either. Or even A Link to the Past once you got a few extra heart pieces. Now the original Zelda and especially Adventure of Link? Oh boy.

Cipher
04-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Well WW has certainly aged well graphically wise and has an interesting world that makes exploration exciting like the older Zelda games did. But man, screw the
Triforce quest
I actually really like that. At the end, the game forces you to actually explore some of the ocean you could have potentially ignored up to that point. It's nicely open-ended as well.

I've had several people tell me that they have never once died in TP.I honestly cannot imagine dying in TP unless it's your first video game or you're doing a restricted run.

Or even A Link to the Past once you got a few extra heart pieces. Now the original Zelda and especially Adventure of Link? Oh boy.
That's a huge part of why I love them. The core gameplay is fun, but they also make you feel like a god for accomplishing anything. There's a real feeling that, on top of obtaining the necessary items and upgrades and finding the next path, you may not be able to do the next part until you get better. That's an element missing from just about every subsequent Zelda.

I actually think the first game is the harder of the two. The last few dungeons are absolutely ridiculous.

Andrew NDB
04-11-2016, 05:15 PM
I actually think the first game is the harder of the two. The last few dungeons are absolutely ridiculous.

No way, Zelda 1 is easy unless you're doing the master quest or whatever harder version that was. Zelda 2 was always next to impossible to me.

Andrew NDB
04-11-2016, 05:18 PM
I've played and beaten Zelda 1-3, Links Awakening, and Ocarina of Time.

I've owned and played... part/most of the way through, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, one of the Oracle games, and Skyward Sword. Started playing Majora's Mask but it just wasn't my thing. Too weird and too un-Zelda like for me.

Cipher
04-11-2016, 05:32 PM
No way, Zelda 1 is easy unless you're doing the master quest or whatever harder version that was. Zelda 2 was always next to impossible to me.
Different strokes I guess. Once you get leveled up and get the timing down in Zelda 2, I think it becomes -- don't get me wrong, still hard as sh*t -- but manageable.

On the other hand, I never became very adept at navigating rooms full of six Darknuts or Wizrobes in the first Zelda, and I think it would have taken me ages and ages to get through Level 9 without a guide. That's an incredibly nightmarish maze when every room also threatens to knock off half your health. And you have no idea which rooms are "kill all the enemies" ones until you try, which doesn't exist as a concept in Zelda 2. Definitely never ended up anywhere near "easy" for me.

Prowler
04-11-2016, 07:16 PM
I actually really like that. At the end, the game forces you to actually explore some of the ocean you could have potentially ignored up to that point. It's nicely open-ended as well.

I honestly cannot imagine dying in TP unless it's your first video game or you're doing a restricted run.

That's a huge part of why I love them. The core gameplay is fun, but they also make you feel like a god for accomplishing anything. There's a real feeling that, on top of obtaining the necessary items and upgrades and finding the next path, you may not be able to do the next part until you get better. That's an element missing from just about every subsequent Zelda.

Hmm, can't say I agree. When I beat the final boss(usually Ganon/dorf) in Zelda, I want to put the game back in the shelf. I prefer doing the side-quests as I progress in the game.

Well, I've managed to reach the 4th dungeon in Zelda 1, while I don't think I've even managed to get past the 2nd dungeon in Zelda 2 yet. Then again I need to dedicate more time to that game. Although I'm yet to beat Zelda 1. And that's a game that was already in my house before I've learnt how to read.

I remember vaguely watching my brother beating the game. The last dungeon's music was kinda creepy to me when I was a kid.

I had the GBA version of Zelda II, but can't find it anywhere, so I might end up buying it on the 3DS eShop someday alongside Zelda 1(my NES is dead).

I'm positive I'll beat Zelda 1 someday, but have doubts regarding Adventure of Link thus far.

You're absolutely right that such games give you a sense of accomplishment. When I beat Mega Man 2 for the first time ever, I felt like an unfinished chapter of my life had finally reached closure. And that's not even anywhere near being the hardest NES game out there. The first ever Mega Man game was hard in normal move already, imagine in the hardest level(you can do that in the Anniversary Collection). I also felt a sense of accomplishment making so far to the airport level in the NES TMNT game. Am yet to go past that part. But I'm sure I've gotten further than most people who have played that game. And I don't like it enough to beat it, anyway. Once in a full blue moon I decide "OK, gonna finally beat the game that gave me more of a hard time than any other in my childhood"... but I never seem to get past level 3. Ever beaten(or hell, played) that one, btw?

I've played and beaten Zelda 1-3, Links Awakening, and Ocarina of Time.

I've owned and played... part/most of the way through, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, one of the Oracle games, and Skyward Sword. Started playing Majora's Mask but it just wasn't my thing. Too weird and too un-Zelda like for me.

I applaud Nintendo for trying something different with MM. A lot of people nowadays complain about Nintendo series, mainly Zelda and Mario, never changing formula and such, so games like MM are a welcome change up. Super Mario Sunshine was a nice idea as well, even though it still had Peach and Bowser. it's not my favourite Mario by any means, but I applaud Nintendo for doing something different.

I like how Ocarina and Mario 64 each had fairly different successors. I guess Nintendo knew it was hard to top those games in the early 2000s still, so they went for something slight different instead of trying to top the aforementioned games.

Out of curiosity, have you ever played the Super Mario Land games for the Game Boy? If so, did you find them weird as well for not feeling much like the Mario you are used to see and play?

Cipher
04-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Well, I've managed to reach the 4th dungeon in Zelda 1, while I don't think I've even managed to get past the 2nd dungeon in Zelda 2 yet. Then again I need to dedicate more time to that game. Although I'm yet to beat Zelda 1. And that's a game that was already in my house before I've learnt how to read.While the first Zelda doesn't get remotely hard until Level 6, and Zelda II starts out hard right away, I think the first one caps higher.

I truly feel that if you were to attempt both their final dungeons without a guide, too, Zelda II's is far easier. They're both cryptic motherf*ckers filled with hard enemies, but by the point you reach the end of Adventure of Link, it's drilled you on that, and you can run away from a lot of the combat until you figure out the right path (even if finding the last secret passage is a little cryptic, it's nothing you wouldn't think to try). Level 9 in the original is a huge spike in difficulty from the already huge spike of the last few dungeons. No way you're getting through it guideless without drawing a map and trying pretty much everything you can do in each room to rule it out. There are Wizzrobes, Like Likes and Darknuts everywhere, and those flying-eyeball mini-bosses that always seem to sap my health. Having to grind for hearts and bombs upon failure also makes it feel like a more herculean effort.

Zelda II pro-tip for the early dungeons: Grind out a few levels on the anti-fairies, since the first few levels have one you can easily trap, then leave the room to spawn another. They're worth 250 exp. apiece, if I recall correctly, which is quite a bit early game. There's also a room in the fourth or fifth dungeon you can abuse to easily gain a huge amount of levels, which -- while not necessary -- is a huge time-saver and makes the middle of the game a little easier.

I also felt a sense of accomplishment making so far to the airport level in the NES TMNT game. Am yet to go past that part. But I'm sure I've gotten further than most people who have played that game. And I don't like it enough to beat it, anyway. Once in a full blue moon I decide "OK, gonna finally beat the game that gave me more of a hard time than any other in my childhood"... but I never seem to get past level 3. Ever beaten(or hell, played) that one, btw?
I own it and I don't think there's a huge chance of my ever grinding it out to beat it, since I also don't enjoy it enough. I won't lie, though--the satisfaction is tempting.

Prowler
04-11-2016, 08:22 PM
The first Zelda game is a bit hard at first when you still have 3 hearts only. Especially if you're playing it for the first time ever in your life or your first time in countless years, meaning you barely have any memories left from it. Of course, once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier.

Apparently, there's people out there who try to beat it without using the sword. Has anyone here ever attempted that?

Nice tips. Will keep them in mind.

And you're spot on about the satisfaction of beating the first TMNT NES game being tempting. Do you happen to know how far you've gotten in the game? It seems that most people give up at the dam level. I never beat it as a kid either. But it's not that hard as an adult. A shame the jump controls in this game are so lousy.

Cipher
04-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Apparently, there's people out there who try to beat it without using the sword. Has anyone here ever attempted that?
I'm not quite enough of a hard-game junkie to try that yet. Maybe one day. Like I said, I still find it hard enough going through normally.

And you're spot on about the satisfaction of beating the first TMNT NES game being tempting. Do you happen to know how far you've gotten in the game? It seems that most people give up at the dam level. I never beat it as a kid either. But it's not that hard as an adult. A shame the jump controls in this game are so lousy.
I've definitely gotten to, but never beaten, level three.

Prowler
04-11-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm not quite enough of a hard-game junkie to try that yet. Maybe one day. Like I said, I still find it hard enough going through normally.

I've definitely gotten to, but never beaten, level three.
I got to the airport stage once only, iirc. Since then I've always died in the 3rd level.

A game that, for some odd reason, I managed to beat in my first ever play, but have never managed to beat it again is Final Fight 2 for the Super Nintendo... I dunno how that happened.

PangolinFeets
04-12-2016, 12:11 AM
I want more handheld Zeldas...

FTrumdi55tA

Andrew NDB
04-12-2016, 12:15 AM
Out of curiosity, have you ever played the Super Mario Land games for the Game Boy? If so, did you find them weird as well for not feeling much like the Mario you are used to see and play?

The first one, a lot. I have fond memories of secretly playing that in my bed on school nights. I remember it being incredibly difficult and frustrating.

CyberCubed
04-12-2016, 12:19 AM
People never beat TMNT 1 on NES? I beat it for the first time when I was around 14-15 or so. The boss fight with the Technodrome (yes you actually fight the Technodrome itself), and then Shredder is amazing.

The fact that you only have limited continues and if you die too much you start over at the very beginning of the game again means you better play smart.

Powder
04-12-2016, 12:54 AM
I want more handheld Zeldas...

Here here! A Link Between Worlds was a great start. They've got a lot to make up for after those two dreadful stylus oriented DS titles.

Cure
04-12-2016, 01:17 AM
A Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

AT-Man
04-12-2016, 01:49 PM
People never beat TMNT 1 on NES? I beat it for the first time when I was around 14-15 or so. The boss fight with the Technodrome (yes you actually fight the Technodrome itself), and then Shredder is amazing.

The fact that you only have limited continues and if you die too much you start over at the very beginning of the game again means you better play smart.

I did when I was about 8 or 9, and the second time approximately 5 years ago.

Andrew NDB
04-12-2016, 02:06 PM

TMNT 1 on NES remains the only attempt by any video game maker to make a a unique and versatile TMNT gaming experience. But yeah, hard as sh*t... I think I finally used a Game Genie to beat it one day.

Prowler
04-12-2016, 03:59 PM
I did when I was about 8 or 9, and the second time approximately 5 years ago.
Damn, you were able to beat it so young? I couldn't even beat Mega Man 2 when I was 8-9 years old.

TMNT 1 on NES remains the only attempt by any video game maker to make a a unique and versatile TMNT gaming experience. But yeah, hard as sh*t... I think I finally used a Game Genie to beat it one day.
It's a great concept of a game, but not so well executed. If each Turtle was more balanced and the jumping controls weren't so bad, it could have been a pretty good game.

Cipher
04-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Here here! A Link Between Worlds was a great start. They've got a lot to make up for after those two dreadful stylus oriented DS titles.
Spirit Tracks is good, and probably my favorite post-Wind Waker title, narrowly edging out LBW.

The stylus controls I could leave, but they actually lead to some great puzzles with Phantom Zelda.

Andrew NDB
04-12-2016, 06:04 PM
It's a great concept of a game, but not so well executed. If each Turtle was more balanced and the jumping controls weren't so bad, it could have been a pretty good game.

Had a lot of potential in future installments. Sadly, never happened... they're all just Final Fight clones.

Prowler
04-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Had a lot of potential in future installments. Sadly, never happened... they're all just Final Fight clones.
As fun as Turtles in Time is, it's pretty overrated. Considering it a top 10 beat 'em game? Okay. But top the greatest one ever or hell, even top 3? Not a chance.

The Manhattan project is quite challenging. I need to beat that someday.

Etsyturtle2
04-12-2016, 06:29 PM

Wow, I couldn't beat it with the game genie.

snake
04-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Well, you see I never really BEAT Zelda 1 myself. I bought it off the VC around 2008 or 9 and I wasn't too sure what I was supposed to do. I called my uncle over, who grew up with the game, and we spent a 7 hour night just playing it together and eventually he beat it for me. Pretty awesome.

Prowler
04-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Well, you see I never really BEAT Zelda 1 myself. I bought it off the VC around 2008 or 9 and I wasn't too sure what I was supposed to do. I called my uncle over, who grew up with the game, and we spent a 7 hour night just playing it together and eventually he beat it for me. Pretty awesome.
I'd play it occasionally when I was a little kid in the 90s but never figured out what to do and where to go next. I saw my brother beating the game back in 1997 or 1998.

My 2nd Zelda was Ocarina. Boy did that game make my jaw drop.

Storm Eagle
04-13-2016, 06:29 PM
My 2nd Zelda was Ocarina. Boy did that game make my jaw drop.

It had the same effect on my friend when he saw Ganon for the first time.

Prowler
04-14-2016, 01:43 PM
It had the same effect on my friend when he saw Ganon for the first time.
I was a bit surprised to see that Ganon now had a humanoidish form, considering he was a mere piggish figure in the original game. But yeah, then eh turned into Ganon and I was like "woah". In fact, the final stretch of the game left quite na impression on my mind. It was pretty dramatic.

Shiro Kame
04-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Hey! Good news for 3DS playing Zelda fans! A Link To The Past is finally on the 3DS Nintendo eShop!

Prowler
04-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Hey! Good news for 3DS playing Zelda fans! A Link To The Past is finally on the 3DS Nintendo eShop!
It's been available there for a while.

I noticed today that Pilotwings (SNES) is the most recent addition to it.

Storm Eagle
04-14-2016, 10:37 PM

I've got it for my GBA. :)

Cipher
04-15-2016, 01:52 AM
It's only available on New 3DS, right? Pretty sure I checked before and was unable to download any of the SNES titles.

Shiro Kame
04-15-2016, 03:25 AM
It's only available on New 3DS, right? Pretty sure I checked before and was unable to download any of the SNES titles.

Probably, considering I own a New Nintendo 3DS.

ssjup81
04-15-2016, 05:51 AM
A Link to the Past has been on the Japanese e-shop for a good while now. Didn't download it though. I have the SNES version back home anyway stateside.

That aside, I really hope they eventually put Mario RPG on it.

Prowler
04-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Probably, considering I own a New Nintendo 3DS.

I own the new one as well. There's not many SNES titles available yet. There's like 10-12 of them? And I own pretty much all of them except Super Metroid, so I might get that one. I don't own Pilotwings either, but I doubt that game has aged well. I grew up with the N64 game back in the day, which probably means that I'd find the SNES one to be quite barren.

A Link to the Past has been on the Japanese e-shop for a good while now. Didn't download it though. I have the SNES version back home anyway stateside.

That aside, I really hope they eventually put Mario RPG on it.
I, too, own A Link to the Past. Mario RPG I already have bought it in the Wii Virtual Console several years ago.

Storm Eagle
04-15-2016, 03:18 PM
I'd like to be able to play SNES titles like Super Metroid, DKC 1 & 2 (and 3 if it happens) on the go. I'm not able to do that though, since I've got the regular 3DS. I'm not sure if I should get a New 3DS just to be able to do that either. I should probably hold out on a future portable unit that would allow me to download those games.

ssjup81
04-15-2016, 05:15 PM
I own the new one as well. There's not many SNES titles available yet. There's like 10-12 of them? And I own pretty much all of them except Super Metroid, so I might get that one. I don't own Pilotwings either, but I doubt that game has aged well. I grew up with the N64 game back in the day, which probably means that I'd find the SNES one to be quite barren.

I, too, own A Link to the Past. Mario RPG I already have bought it in the Wii Virtual Console several years ago.Ironically, I already own Mario RPG for my SNES stateside and...I have it for the Super Famicom. ^^ I just want a portable version now since I like the game so darn much and it's easy to play in Japanese. lol

I'm also tempted to download DKC 2 as it's my all-time favorite of the Donkey Kong Country games...and ranks high for me out of the SNES games. That would be fun to play on the go.

Cipher
04-17-2016, 10:20 PM
So, I think because of this thread, I wound up doing a little NES Zelda binge this weekend.

Replayed Zelda II up through the first six palaces, and, not expecting to, completed the original Zelda without a guide in one multi-hour single-sitting playthrough yesterday. Had no idea it would go so quickly--I just kept going, constantly finding stuff.

The last time I played it, I'm certain I used a map for at least Level 9, and for finding some of the heart containers. While I definitely had some residual knowledge, I wound up having to find most of the levels and upgrades this time with no firm idea where they were. I definitely had no idea where the Power Bracelet or the Magic Sword were, which led to a bit of a scavenger hunt, though once

I stumbled across the Power Bracelet, I put two and two together on the "Meet the Old Man by the grave" clue and pushed every tombstone until I found the sword.

Level 9 was easier without a guide than I thought it would be--I thought it would at least require making a map--but I got through fairly quickly just by remembering my paths, though I wound up finishing without the Red Ring or even the Dungeon Map. I hit Ganon pretty early and had to deliberately die to find the route to the Silver Arrows. I do feel they could at least give you the courtesy of being able to leave if you stumble into the battle prematurely.

I actually kept going on a Second Quest, which I beat once a while ago with a guide, and am going through that guideless as well. I've finished Level 4, and have found 5, 6 and 7. I think I also vaguely remember where 8 is (which is a shame, but I can't do anything about that), so I should be able to find it by carpet-bombing a certain area until it's uncovered. It took me forever to find Level 2, as for some reason I was convinced I'd already checked the spot where it's hidden, and only found it after I was searching the area again and decided to double check. Anyway, Level 4 is the spot where I'd say the game starts to get really devious with its dungeon design. And I still have no idea where the Magic Sword is here, which is ... kind of alarming. Might have to do a big hunt for it before Level 5.

My big takeaways from this little weekend session are:

-I pretty firmly like Zelda II more than the first one. I think the original game better executed its goals, and is unquestionably the more polished and genre-defining of the two, but I have more fun with Zelda II.

-Zelda II is, in fact, harder than the first quest of the original, and that's consistent all the way through (although I still feel like I have a harder time with the more intense moments of the original's top-down combat than I do II's). The original game's Second Quest is the hardest Zelda experience on the NES.

-That's assuming you're playing without a guide, which you should be. You're missing out on a lot of the game's genius if you allow the Internet or a player's guide to point you toward the next directive. I regret I ever used a guide for dungeon locations the first time I played the Second Quest (which, thankfully, and to my enormous frustration as I searched for the second dungeon, I've forgotten 90% of now).

EDIT --

Finished up that Zelda II playthrough. Just wanted to wait until I had enough time to tackle the road to the Great Palace and the dungeon all at once (which is how you'd want to do it on an NES, since getting there is hell, but continuing from a Game Over inside the Great Palace will start you off at its entrance).

Beat it for the first time without a guide as well. Really satisfying, and honestly not that hard. I remember it stressing me the hell out last time, but this time it was pretty fun and chill. (The route there, though, is not at all chill.) Through a little trial and error, you eventually find out the path is:

Left, Right, Right, Left

And then as long as you know to drop down a certain, really obvious hole, you're golden. (You could be forgiven for thinking it looks like a trap, but you should know by now -- in this game, if it looks like a trap, it's the way forward, and if it looks safe, it's a trap.) The game is nice enough to throw an easy 1-Up and fairy at you along the way as well. The route is easy enough to remember (or jot down) if you boil it down to left and right forks too, so even if you need to finish it at a later session, it's not too bad. Just make sure you don't save after getting any 1-Ups you used to get there.

Totally cheesed Dark Link though. I'd like to beat him without using the corner trick at some point, but I was on my last life by the time I beat Thunderbird this time and didn't want to mess around.

Oh, also, Thunderbird:

Shield, Reflect, Jump, Thunder -- As long as you're starting the fight at full health, easy-peasy. Don't get too reckless, though, since that doesn't leave you with enough magic to cast Life.