PDA

View Full Version : 2014 PD TMNT Storyboards

Krutch
03-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Saw these today. Not sure if they were posted anywhere yet so I thought I'd share.

https://famousframes.com/images/artists/34_charlesratteray/34_14_1408403151.jpg
https://famousframes.com/images/artists/34_charlesratteray/34_14_1408403141.jpg

Candy Kappa
03-08-2016, 03:49 PM
yeah, they have been shared before. But I think the thread is long dead after the Movie Section meltdown.

There was also some storyboards where Splinter is injected with mutagen and watches samurai movies and fight other rats and a continuation of the one you posted where Raph crushes April's cell phone.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Wow, the storyboard turtles look better than the final result.

DarkLightDragon
03-12-2016, 09:57 AM
While it still reinforces the tall, hulkish Turtle designs, I would gladly watch these storyboards in their entirety over the actual movie any day.

newhire13
03-12-2016, 10:37 AM
It still wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea for some pretty obvious reasons but I honestly think the film probably would have been much better if they had stuck to their plan instead of panicking. For example, while the typical TMNT origin story is ideal Splinter being something purposely made and designed to fight makes more sense for their version than Splinter picking up a how to be a ninja manual from the sewers and somehow mastering it enough to teach others.

GeneralTragg
03-12-2016, 01:44 PM
And here I thought they just made it up as they went along...

Spike Spiegel
03-12-2016, 02:44 PM
While it still reinforces the tall, hulkish Turtle designs, I would gladly watch these storyboards in their entirety over the actual movie any day.

And the drawing of April looks more human than Megan Fox.

Anybody know if IDW will ever do tie ins to these movies?

Powder
03-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Never. They are not interested. (Bless them)

neatoman
03-12-2016, 03:20 PM
And the drawing of April looks more human than Megan Fox.

Anybody know if IDW will ever do tie ins to these movies?

Bobby mentioned that they were approached about it during the rewrites but decided against it.

For the first movie, Tom and I drove up to LA to read a draft of the script (what the actual film ended up being was a bit different). At the time IDW had not had great success with movie-tie-in books, so there wasn't a great pressure for us to do something on either side. Tom and I didn't think there was a lot of creative opportunity for us to do something on the comic side, so we declined to do anything with the movie.

Nothing has come up since, we haven't been contacted or read the script for the second film, you guys probably know more about it than I do.

Fun story though, Tom and I completely plotted the Northampton story arc during that ride up to LA. Fond memories!

The closest to movie tie-in is this trade but it's just reprints IDW stories about characters that debut in this movie.
http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/assets/TMNT-Allies-Enemies-TPB_rich.jpg

To capitalize on potential interest generated by the movie. You'll notice the focus on Krang, Casey, Bebop & Rocksteady in Allies and Enemies-- all new characters in the next movie.

We re-released Change is Constant at the same time as the last movie, so we've moved ahead with the next set of IDW stories.

I personally would be curious as to how much revenue is generated by things like this. I'd love to see the stuff you mentioned see the light of day quicker as well.

Wildcat
03-12-2016, 10:26 PM
It still wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea for some pretty obvious reasons but I honestly think the film probably would have been much better if they had stuck to their plan instead of panicking. For example, while the typical TMNT origin story is ideal Splinter being something purposely made and designed to fight makes more sense for their version than Splinter picking up a how to be a ninja manual from the sewers and somehow mastering it enough to teach others. Totally agree. They should have never given in to complaints. It just turned it into a mix up of ideas.

Candy Kappa
03-13-2016, 05:03 AM
It was already a mix-up of ideas, Liebsman filmed material for 3 different movies and mashed them together which in turn got rejected by the producers after seeing it.

Super soldier Splinter was probably not gonna bee used anyway.

DarkLightDragon
03-13-2016, 08:02 AM
It was already a mix-up of ideas, Liebsman filmed material for 3 different movies and mashed them together which in turn got rejected by the producers after seeing it.

Super soldier Splinter was probably not gonna bee used anyway.

A mix-up of bad ideas more like it.

And if they did "stick to their guns," we still would've gotten a s**tty movie regardless, if not, worse. So I really just have to roll my eyes whenever someone has the gall to say that phrase. What we got, yes, was still bad, but I bet you 10 bucks and a large pizza of your choosing that their idea of "sticking to our guns" would've been just as awful and unrecognizable as a TMNT brand.

newhire13
03-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Like I said, it wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea for the obvious reason that it didn't stick to the established story, but going so far off track to appease internet complaints screwed them even more. They were probably better off sticking to the plan. At least, going by the storyboards and plot lines leaked, they would have made the story make more sense.

Bry
03-13-2016, 09:25 AM
A mix-up of bad ideas more like it.

And if they did "stick to their guns," we still would've gotten a s**tty movie regardless, if not, worse. So I really just have to roll my eyes whenever someone has the gall to say that phrase. What we got, yes, was still bad, but I bet you 10 bucks and a large pizza of your choosing that their idea of "sticking to our guns" would've been just as awful and unrecognizable as a TMNT brand.

Shoot, let's take it even further. I still wish they would have stuck to their guns and ignored the fan complaints back when this was in the "Blue Door" phase. Alien Turtles would have bombed so hard they'd be filming a full reboot with a different producer by now. A better world... :trazz:

Wildcat
03-14-2016, 12:42 AM
All newhire13 and I are saying is if they had stuck to their plan the movie might have turned out better, as in...in and of itself. Not a better turtle movie.

It will still gonna put off a lot of fans because of the differences made to the source material. This is true.

I don't know how many reshoots or re-anything it went through. I assume a lot of movies go through some amount of re-tooling during production but TMNT 2014 seems like it was significantly altered because of the internet.

Candy Kappa
03-14-2016, 06:48 AM
I donno. I highly doubt the pre-Bay-viewing version of the movie would have been a better movie overall. it was still a miss-mash of stories compiled into one movie. And when the Master of Schlock thinks "oh **** was that terrible, we're so screwed", I think we might have gotten the better product in the end. Truck sized plot holes, inconsistencies, bad choreography and martial arts and what not.