PDA

View Full Version : swiped/re-posted art

myconius
03-09-2016, 11:01 PM
if you were browsing online and found a piece of your art posted on pintrest but weren't linked or credited, is it even worth bothering to try to at least ask for artists credit?

i'm both kind of irked and flattered at the same time.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/89/4f/89/894f892a200167847867784400850a45.jpg

at least it's not as bad as the time i was informed that someone was swiping images of my art, removing my signature and then reposting it as their own.

i just don't get some people?

Roseangelo
03-09-2016, 11:26 PM
A pinterest pin should link back to somewhere (that's how the site works). If it's not linking anywhere, it's possible the source of the pin has disappeared. If that happens, pinterest still keeps the image locally.

Art swiping is a huge, ongoing issue, as I'm sure you're aware. In this case, I don't think I would concern myself with it, simply because of how pinterest works. If it had actually been reposted on a blog or other type of website, then it'd be worth an email.

myconius
03-10-2016, 05:09 AM
i think what's been happening is people have been downloading images of my art off Deviantart and just reposting it on Pintrest.

one of my watchers had actually alerted me to it some time ago, but i never actually saw it first hand till last night.

people swiping images happens all the time, not much use in pursuing it i suppose? they'll always just be someone else?

thank you for your insight. :)

Powder
03-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Happens to me all the time, I don't usually do anything about it unless it's super easy (like on Facebook pages I'll just comment a link to my DA & ask they include it or add my name to the post) or they're taking credit/attempting to profit off of my stuff. Typically, someone can just reverse image search the image to find its creator, so even though there's the downside of going uncredited, it's still free publicity with respect to those who will actually wanna find you.

myconius
03-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Happens to me all the time, I don't usually do anything about it unless it's super easy (like on Facebook pages I'll just comment a link to my DA & ask they include it or add my name to the post) or they're taking credit/attempting to profit off of my stuff. Typically, someone can just reverse image search the image to find its creator, so even though there's the downside of going uncredited, it's still free publicity with respect to those who will actually wanna find you.

yeah, it's a shame when people don't have any respect for artists or their work.
but it's good that google at least has ways for people to track an image to it's original source.

i really don't mind people reposting if they enjoy the image.
there's just those few people that swipe and erase my name or digitally paint over it and repost it as their own.
not too much can be done about that i guess?

Powder
03-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Yeah, now THAT is a real POS move. I've had that happen at least twice, & the folks were real assholes about it, too. Your options are to respectfully contact the poster or site with links to your stuff or in a worst case scenario file a copyright claim. Alternately, ask your fans/followers to give them grief until they remove it, though I don't really support witchhunts. :tlol:

myconius
03-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Yeah, now THAT is a real POS move. I've had that happen at least twice, & the folks were real assholes about it, too. Your options are to respectfully contact the poster or site with links to your stuff or in a worst case scenario file a copyright claim. Alternately, ask your fans/followers to give them grief until they remove it, though I don't really support witchhunts. :tlol:

i know right??? some people need to just choke on their own tongues!!! :lol:
at first i used to try to take action, but lately i've been adding links on my DA posts to the swiped versions

http://myconius.deviantart.com/art/Uncle-Joker-pencils-8-3-2013-390543607

if you follow the links on these 2 studies i did after artists i enjoy, this one particular bozo not only wiped my name off but also adds lined paper effects or poor photo lighting to my images.

http://myconius.deviantart.com/art/Bisley-Batman-11-5-2014-492831166

http://myconius.deviantart.com/art/McFarlane-Batman-1-24-2014-429310314

if he'd put have the effort into practicing drawing as he does swiping art, he might actually learn something? :lol:

Powder
03-10-2016, 10:00 PM
His name is Chandler Phan, here's his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chonkycheeto/

Report him, confront him, do whatever, but definitely call dude out. I certainly did, on the pieces of yours he stole.

myconius
03-11-2016, 05:02 AM
Dude thanks! :D

yeah, i really should. it's one thing to share a found image, but doctoring an image and claiming it is really messed up!

guess i'll have to sign up to instagram later and square a few things?

thank you very much Powder! :D