PDA

View Full Version : Darker Ninja Turtles Cartoon

LeoBlades
03-15-2016, 09:40 AM
With the talent of so many people on this forum, I'm so surprised no-one has gone to undertake creating a darker cartoon. Of course, I understand that this can take a lot of time and is quite a taxing project, but I'm just so surprised that no-one has tried.

With all the kikstarter campaigns for non-CGI live action stuff, I thought there may have been one or 2 for a more "mature" animated fan flick. Something along the style of the current IDW stuff.

https://youtu.be/gDYyAAdtDfk - Just as an example.. this Batman v Terminator.

Tarris Vaal
03-15-2016, 09:50 AM
There are a few attempts around. Mutant Ninja Turtle Gaiden being one of the more well know web comics.

http://www.mntgaiden.com/wordpress/

Myself and a few others have started planning out and writing up some scripts for a version of the show aimed at a higher demographic. Its slow going at the moment (always fun with logistics when there's multiple writers), but we've a few episodes done (script only) and several planned.

This the link for the first episode script, which is the only one we've put out online so far. When we're ready there'll be a few more - and as they're already scripts it'd be nice to convince someone with animation skills to actually put pen to paper for it ;)

http://venkalefay.deviantart.com/art/TMNT-Episode-1-What-Lies-Beneath-594800586

Sabacooza
03-15-2016, 10:12 AM
I thought of doing one myself but it's time consuming and extremely expensive. A cheaper alternative is to do a motion comic based on original stories which I will be in the process of doing. Kickstarter is very risky. I wouldn't want to run the risk of a cease and desist. How some people get away with it is beyond me.

I also wouldn't mind doing a really good live action web series or seeing someone else do one but again, being public about raising money for it is risky.

Utrommaniac
03-15-2016, 10:14 AM
While I wouldn't care for a "darker" tone, I would like to see something that takes its characters just a touch more seriously.

For instance, it would be something that would be able to discuss Shredder and Krang's histories. Krang as a warlord, and Shredder as a Japanese man who would have been during or immediately after the end of World War Two, and thus would have grown up during the time that Japan's militarism was crumbling.

It would still be great to retain some of the absurdity of the cartoon, but there are still some elements that would be a nice addition.

Utrommaniac
03-15-2016, 10:15 AM
While I wouldn't care for a "darker" tone, I would like to see something that takes its characters just a touch more seriously.

For instance, it would be something that would be able to discuss Shredder and Krang's histories. Krang as a warlord, and Shredder as a Japanese man who would have been during or immediately after the end of World War Two, and thus would have grown up during the time that Japan's militarism was crumbling.

It would still be great to retain some of the absurdity of the cartoon, but there are elements that would be a nice addition.

ryu238
07-17-2016, 12:02 AM
Interesting ideas

snake
07-17-2016, 12:06 AM

It would still be great to retain some of the absurdity of the cartoon, but there are still some elements that would be a nice addition.

What if for the first season Krang is simply a powerful japanese gang leader, leaving some fans disapointed on how far of a deviation from the original character he is, AND THEN- in the finale of season 2 or so, the final shot is him sitting alone in a chamber. A mechanical sound is heard. And then his stomach opens up, revealing a toothy smile

ryu238
07-17-2016, 12:13 AM
There are a few attempts around. Mutant Ninja Turtle Gaiden being one of the more well know web comics.

http://www.mntgaiden.com/wordpress/

Myself and a few others have started planning out and writing up some scripts for a version of the show aimed at a higher demographic. Its slow going at the moment (always fun with logistics when there's multiple writers), but we've a few episodes done (script only) and several planned.

This the link for the first episode script, which is the only one we've put out online so far. When we're ready there'll be a few more - and as they're already scripts it'd be nice to convince someone with animation skills to actually put pen to paper for it ;)

http://venkalefay.deviantart.com/art/TMNT-Episode-1-What-Lies-Beneath-594800586

Can't you put the other scripts up please?

Tarris Vaal
07-17-2016, 01:16 PM
We've only got the 7 scripts complete so far, but the project is still ongoing (and we're determined to finish it!)

We were going to wait until we had 10 episodes completed before we started posting anything, but since you asked, we'll see if we can start getting them online a little sooner.

ryu238
07-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks. It is silly to start posting then just hold off for what seems like an arbitrary reason.