PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sony Is Developing More Powerful "PlayStation 4.5"

The Deadman
03-18-2016, 01:28 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/18/rumor-sony-is-developing-playstation-4-5.aspx

We’re only a few years into this generation of hardware, but Sony is reportedly looking into raising the bar with an upgraded iteration of the PS4. More than just a redesign, this rumored hardware would add increased power and new features, making it a significant step up from the current version of the console.

According to a report from Kotaku, developers are saying that the “PS4.5” is currently is in the works, and features a new GPU that would support 4K resolution for gaming (the console already supports 4K photos and video), as well as assist with VR performance.

Almost all of the questions this rumor inspires are unanswered, like those relating to price, compatibility, and upgrading for current customers. Sony declined to comment in the original report, but if a PS4.5 really is in the works, we might hear more soon. E3 is only a few months away.

So they're essentially saying the current PS4 isnt powerful enough? Oh boy.

oldmanwinters
03-18-2016, 02:46 PM
I guess they just can't stand idly by while Nintendo tries to 1up them with the NX hardware.

Shark_Blade
03-19-2016, 11:14 AM
That's good, more superior hardware. :D

Netkeeper
03-19-2016, 11:51 AM
This is good news for me because it means the regular PS4 will go down in price.

Diorm
03-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Not good news for me since I already got the "not powerful" ps4... :tgrumble:

Sumac
03-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Next thing they'll announce that not all new PS4 games will be compatible with original PS4. ))

Once again, I am glad that I am PC user.

AT-Man
03-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Crap. I can't part with my PS4 because it's got the P.T. installed, and wouldn't wanna just buy another one...

ProactiveMan
03-21-2016, 03:49 AM
I hear it's for 4K Bluray (which as far as I know PS4 would need a new optical drive and HDMI port to support) and hi-def VR support, i.e Project Morpheus. My guess is, that for people playing on a flat screen without VR, the new one won't offer much of an improvement.

Zak The Neutrino
03-21-2016, 09:29 AM
I would assume this move is all around VR and bluray player. Upping the CPU capacity won't do anything for games except the ones that are PS4 console exclusives. It will be the same thing as the last platform all over again. The games never used the full potential of the PS3 because Xbox couldn't handle it. The game companies aren't going to make two different games.

STORMSHADOW__210
03-31-2016, 07:35 PM
I hope this is just for the VR add on. Excuse my language , but the heck with this salty honey dipped malarkey . When one buys a console , it is with the faith that you are going to be able to play all the new games for that console generation. Asking a consumer to buy another console just 3 short years into the "next generation" is crazy. Sony can take that bowl of soup back to the kitchen because this gamer won't be sippin any of it .