PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Removing TMNT Figure Armor?

JayDubs
03-18-2016, 03:09 PM
I have a couple broken figures that I am trying to remove shoulder and wrist about to transfer to a figure that is in good condition, just missing some armor.

Anyone have any luck removing armor? I am specifically having a hard time getting 1988 Shredder armor off.

Thanks!

thundermaster612
03-18-2016, 04:04 PM
the armor is usually held on with some special glue, if you use some special glue remover and get it under the armor then it should come off

tmntfannumerouno
03-18-2016, 04:09 PM
boil some water in a cup for about 3 minutes in the micro and dunk the figure in afterwards for around 30 seconds to a minute to loosen the glue and then try it.

tw2thr3
03-18-2016, 04:13 PM
I also had a similar problem with shoulder pieces on an old Slash. I tried hot water but it only made the plastic peg stretch. Was going to use an xacto knife if nothing else but if anyone knows better methods please add..

tw2thr3
03-18-2016, 04:15 PM
the armor is usually held on with some special glue, if you use some special glue remover and get it under the armor then it should come off
I'll have to try this with something like goop off. Thanks!

JayDubs
03-18-2016, 04:20 PM
I was going to try glue remover but some of the pieces are so tight and secure!

Discogod
03-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Bear in mind that any solvent strong enough to dissolve the glue is likely to take the paint off, too.

I'd recommend just dunking the fig in boiling hot water for a few minutes, if you can get a small flat-head screwdriver under the armour that might also help to prise it off.

JayDubs
03-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Success! I boiled water for 3 minutes and it was super got, had to remove with pot holders. After soaking for 5 minutes two of shredders arm armor pieces popped right off and his shoulder armor was a little more stubborn and I was able to pry off using a small pumpkin carving knife.