PDA

View Full Version : Batman/Superman Dawn of Justice movie review thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 12:26 PM
http://heroichollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/BvS-Review-Leaks.jpg

The movie is nearly out so this is a review thread.

Rule #1: Talk about the movie

Rule #2: No bickering

Let us discuss history in the making! Batman and Superman meet for the first time in a movie (and I hear Wonder Woman is in this movie too), so let's get to it.

ZariusTwo
03-22-2016, 12:31 PM
I for one welcome Cybercubed as our overlord

myconius
03-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Let us discuss history in the making! Batman and Superman meet for the first time in a movie (and I hear Wonder Woman is in this movie too), so let's get to it.

thank you CyberCubed!!!! :)

btw... got my tickets already purchased!!!! :D

Turo602
03-22-2016, 12:35 PM

But... no one has seen the movie yet except all those lucky bastards at the premiere. #ManofSteelsucks

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 12:36 PM
The rating on Rotten Tomatoes isn't up yet and there are two reviews on it, but both are negative and in Spanish however.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

sdp
03-22-2016, 12:40 PM
This movie is going to be much bigger than I thought, I guess it was logical but you kind of forget about the small facts that Batman and Superman are huge pop culture icons, it doesn't matter if they aren't as popular now. I've had tons of people who don't like superheroes talk about going to see this movie including my parents whose last superhero anything was probably taking me to see Batman&Robin when I was a kid. The Demographic for this movie will really be a general audience.

In other things I re-watched Man of Steel, I hadn't watched it since it came out on theaters. I remember liking it a lot but didn't have time to see it again and then never did and have spent all these other years hearing about how terrible it was. It definitely has flaws, I mean did we really need all that time spent in Krypton? Did Jor El really have to die right before the planet exploded anyway? And then losing Pa Kent as well, how many dads did they have to kill anyway? The Genetic code being on Superman is a bit weird as well and I'm not a fan of Lois here. But none of those are huge flaws, I can nitpick similar stuff from the Nolan trilogy and other superhero movies. I do think people have it out for Superman in general with the whole "he's boring". Which I disagree with but this movie could have used better pacing, that's a legitimate complain.

Vicky82
03-22-2016, 12:43 PM
I got my ticket, i'm seeing it on Saturday. I still haven't seen Man of Steel yet, is it still worth watching.

The rating on Rotten Tomatoes isn't up yet and there are two reviews on it, but both are negative and in Spanish however.

I noticed that and I saw that there was a lot of positive reactions from a early screening.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/new-wave-of-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-reactions-from-a132394

myconius
03-22-2016, 12:46 PM
This movie is going to be much bigger than I thought, I guess it was logical but you kind of forget about the small facts that Batman and Superman are huge pop culture icons, it doesn't matter if they aren't as popular now. I've had tons of people who don't like superheroes talk about going to see this movie including my parents whose last superhero anything was probably taking me to see Batman&Robin when I was a kid. The Demographic for this movie will really be a general audience.

In other things I re-watched Man of Steel, I hadn't watched it since it came out on theaters. I remember liking it a lot but didn't have time to see it again and then never did and have spent all these other years hearing about how terrible it was. It definitely has flaws, I mean did we really need all that time spent in Krypton? Did Jor El really have to die right before the planet exploded anyway? And then losing Pa Kent as well, how many dads did they have to kill anyway? The Genetic code being on Superman is a bit weird as well and I'm not a fan of Lois here. But none of those are huge flaws, I can nitpick similar stuff from the Nolan trilogy and other superhero movies. I do think people have it out for Superman in general with the whole "he's boring". Which I disagree with but this movie could have used better pacing, that's a legitimate complain.

i was so enamored with the Nolan Batman movies when i first saw them.
but being a huge Batman fanatic and watching the movies over and over they stared to feel very dry, and in many parts very dull.
i still enjoy them for what they are, but i'm really excited to see the BvS bring back the fantasy element into the DC film franchise!

myconius
03-22-2016, 12:47 PM
I got my ticket, i'm seeing it on Saturday. I still haven't seen Man of Steel yet, is it still worth watching.

I noticed that and I saw that there was a lot of positive reactions from a early screening.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/new-wave-of-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-reactions-from-a132394

yeah, you'll probably want to see Man of Steel before the sequel?

the end was a bit over the top, but it definitely was pretty cool!!!

Vicky82
03-22-2016, 12:50 PM
yeah, you'll probably want to see Man of Steel before the sequel?

the end was a bit over the top, but it definitely was pretty cool!!!

Ok thanks, I will watch it on Friday as i'll be off work. I'll download it from ITunes.

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Live broadcast of the European Premier of Batman v Superman.

vxuEqQkYH3c

Expect more reactions from the European premiere.

myconius
03-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Ok thanks, I will watch it on Friday as i'll be off work. I'll download it from ITunes.

you're welcome! :)

it's definitely worth a watch, and the events of BvS seem to pick up right after the end of MoS.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Friday night showing with a couple of my mates; they're on their own for rewatching Man of Steel before, though... I need to finish the last two episodes of Daredevil and then do MoS.

Lotta damn fine CBM/CBTV this week. :tgrin:

NinjaPug
03-22-2016, 01:16 PM
The review embargo from critics is up at 6 pm/est today. I'm really curious to see their reactions. It's tough to get too excited about reactions from fans at a premiere. That setting typically jazzes up the reaction.

myconius
03-22-2016, 01:46 PM
i'm going to completely ignore any and all feedback from reviews till i see the movie for myself.

i don't want to have any preconceived notions of the film going in.

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 03:05 PM

Never trust spanish reviews, especially anything that has "latino" in the website name.

Slade
03-22-2016, 03:20 PM
See how long his thread lasts...

I've got my tickets for Thursday.

Redeemer
03-22-2016, 03:25 PM
But... no one has seen the movie yet except all those lucky bastards at the premiere. #ManofSteelsucks

quoting just bc Man of Steel does suck :lol:

myconius
03-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Never trust spanish reviews, especially anything that has "latino" in the website name.

yeah i think i know which site you're talking about?
that one guy is always posting far-fetched gibberish!

ToTheNines
03-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Season 2 of Daredevil is noice!

TonySiegel
03-22-2016, 04:05 PM
going friday and saturday...

as always, I'm hoping for the best expecting the worst...

ToTheNines
03-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Comic Book Resources says.... "dull".

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/review-wonder-woman-cant-save-dull-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

Vicky82
03-22-2016, 04:08 PM
It's got 4 rotten reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Joshua Rothkopf
Time Out March 22, 2016
If there's any justice, dawning or otherwise, at the multiplex, audiences will reject Zack Snyder's lumbering, dead-on-arrival superhero mélange, a $250 million tombstone for a genre in dire need of a break.
Full Review | Original Score: 2/5

Update

10 rotten 1 fresh so far.

Not good, not good at all but I will still go see it.

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Man these reviews are heartbreaking. I really had high hopes for this one.

Oh well, a few sour grapes won't ruin my fun.

TonySiegel
03-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Joshua Rothkopf
Time Out March 22, 2016
If there's any justice, dawning or otherwise, at the multiplex, audiences will reject Zack Snyder's lumbering, dead-on-arrival superhero mélange, a $250 million tombstone for a genre in dire need of a break.

Update

8 rotten 1 fresh so far.

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/782/782651.png

dammm they are killing em!

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 04:19 PM
The harsh reality is settling in. My dreams are being shattered and the tears of disappointment are swelling in my eyes.

Say it ain't so. They had one chance. ONE chance. Its so sad, just so very sad.

Vicky82
03-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Don't worry guys, it could still go over 90% as long as doesn't get more than 19 rotten.

3 fresh, 12 rotten now.

AT-Man
03-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Where should I watch it while I'm in London during Easter?

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 04:25 PM
IGN gave it a 6.8
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/22/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review?read

Vicky82
03-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Where should I watch it while I'm in London during Easter?

Dunno it depends where you are in London.

There is Leicester Square if you are near there.

Here's a list of the cineworld cinemas in London (just click on the drop down choose a cinema menu)

http://www1.cineworld.co.uk/

Odeon Cinemas in London (just click on the drop down choose a cinema menu)

http://www.odeon.co.uk/

Vue Cinemas (just click on the drop down choose a cinema menu)

http://www.myvue.com/

5 Fresh 15 Rotten

So far the score on Rotten Tomatoes is 29%, if it gets more rotten reviews it could be worse than the 2014 Turtles movie.

TonySiegel
03-22-2016, 04:36 PM
IGN gave it a 6.8
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/22/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review?read

nooooooooo!!!!!! it's happening again!

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Its now at 37%.

NinjaPug
03-22-2016, 04:42 PM
Man the critics are trashing this. I wonder what happens to the DCEU if this doesn't do well at the box office. Thank goodness they're almost done filming Wonder Woman.

TurtleTitan97
03-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Comic Book Resources says.... "dull".

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/review-wonder-woman-cant-save-dull-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

Joshua Rothkopf
Time Out March 22, 2016

Update

10 rotten 1 fresh so far.

Not good, not good at all but I will still go see it.

IGN gave it a 6.8

Ouch. And I honestly had high hopes for this.

Oh well, still got the Supergirl/Flash crossover to look forward to. That actually looks like fun.

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Here is ComicBookMovie's Spoiler Free review.

8TAlR9y_zJw

Slade
03-22-2016, 04:49 PM
If you want negativity come here apparently.

Vicky82
03-22-2016, 04:54 PM
its 41% now, so it's going up slowly.

TurtleTitan97
03-22-2016, 04:56 PM

Weird, it's still saying 32% on my screen at the moment.

Cure
03-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Are you guys seriously sitting on that site constantly refreshing? They're just reviews, goddamn.

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 05:00 PM
it still shows 37% for me.

myconius
03-22-2016, 05:01 PM
If you want negativity come here apparently.

yeah, this is like the goblin's corner over here!

http://deepseacreatures.org/images/stories/goblin-shark/goblin-shark.jpg

"MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

JTH
03-22-2016, 05:01 PM
I went to see a fan screening.

I won't spoil anything here.

I will say though that I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'll say that the pacing is a bit...strange I'll say. I don't know how much purposeful scenes got cut from the original 3 hour ultimate cut, but I guess whatever was definitely messes with the overall flow and pace with what remained.

And obviously, people that hated on MoS, will have their plethora of ammunition in this one too, as you would expect.

TurtleTitan97
03-22-2016, 05:03 PM

I will say though that I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'll say that the pacing is a bit...strange I'll say. I don't know how much purposeful scenes got cut from the original 3 hour ultimate cut, but I guess whatever was definitely messes with the overall flow and pace with what remained.

And obviously, people that hated on MoS, will have their plethora of ammunition in this one too, as you would expect.

How would you describe the portrayal of Luthor in the film? I was honestly not a fan of what was shown in the previews so far.

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 05:04 PM

Maybe the stuff that was cut will be what's in the R rated cut on bluray.

snake
03-22-2016, 05:05 PM
I dunno guys, I think I might form my own opinion

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Yeah you should never base your opinions on what the critics say about the movie.

Btw, RT is now showing 42%

NinjaPug
03-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Yeah you should never base your opinions on what the critics say about the movie.

Haha.

Sentence 1: don't listen to critics

Sentence 2: gives update on what critics are saying

Cure
03-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Critics totally matter.

Andrew NDB
03-22-2016, 05:19 PM
If this fails, it's pretty scary to think what WB will do afterward, as prone as they are to whim and overreacting/overcompensating for critical backlash. We might just get Batman in everything, no more future solo movies for Superman, pulled releases of Flash, Green Lantern Corps, etc..

Pretty sure I'll enjoy it based on what I've seen and heard so far. And I enjoyed the hell out of Man of Steel. Like that one, I'll probably really dig BvS but still leave the theater being puzzled by a few odd choices.

JTH
03-22-2016, 05:33 PM
How would you describe the portrayal of Luthor in the film? I was honestly not a fan of what was shown in the previews so far.
It's definitely portrayed different from what you go in expecting, which might be a turn off right there. But in the end, they did do things in the movie where I was like, "Yeah, that does the character justice."

Which is pretty much the movie in a nutshell, many things if not everything will probably be done in a way that you would never expect it be done, but in the end you're probably still going to get what you want in the end.

Also, I'm sorry...Affleck was great. Affleck does Batman justice. Batfleck should not be the reason you end up not liking the movie, and people that do end up saying that had already had that branded in their brains before they walked in the theater.

Again, the issue I got right now is that the pace was off, and I feel I'll need to see it again because it's just so dense with rushed pacing that I feel I missed some things that I probably need to know.

Turo602
03-22-2016, 05:37 PM
So one critic bashes the film only to put down the entire genre. And then there's IGN who puts down a serious movie for not being "fun" enough. I guess superhero films should never take themselves seriously or strive to be intelligent then? Maybe Lex Luthor should be calling Superman "underoos." That would certainly be fun. When are people going to learn that critics don't mean sh*t. Who cares what they have to say unless you actually know the reviewer well enough to know that you share common opinions. Otherwise, let's just wait for the movie to come out and then we could decide whether or not we should be worried for ourselves.

TigerClaw
03-22-2016, 05:46 PM
So one critic bashes the film only to put down the entire genre. And then there's IGN who puts down a serious movie for not being "fun" enough. I guess superhero films should never take themselves seriously or strive to be intelligent then? Maybe Lex Luthor should be calling Superman "underoos." That would certainly be fun. When are people going to learn the critics don't mean sh*t. Who cares what they have to say unless you actually know the reviewer well enough to know that you share common opinions. Otherwise, let's just wait for the movie to come out and then we could decide whether or not we should be worried for ourselves.
They were probably expecting something in the same level as the Marvel movies, but it will never be, cause Warner Bros wants there Superhero movies to be dark and gritty.

JTH
03-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Critics totally matter.
The right critics matter. You need to read from the critics that you know, especially with movies like these, know about everything that's going on, not just ones going to see the movie because it's the biggest movie out since Star Wars: TFA.

For example, I'm willing to bet there will be some film critics that will go see Cap: Civil War because it's the next huge movie on the list, having not seen all the other movies in the MCU. And you really can't do that, because Civil War is going to be the blow off of every thing that has transpired in all the other MCU movies. If you missed one movie, you're missing a chuck of the story.

Therefore, a person is going to have to see all 3 Iron Man movies, both Cap movies, both Thor movies, both Avengers movies, the Ant-Man movie, ect. to show all the destruction and chaos that happened in all those movies, otherwise there's going to be things that make no sense to how everything lead to this Civil War between everyone.

If a critic doesn't see all those movies, they're going to be missing vital elements to that movie that they might not understand that they otherwise would.

Sorry being a bit ranty, but I'm sure you get the gist.

Netkeeper
03-22-2016, 05:57 PM
They were probably expecting something in the same level as the Marvel movies, but it will never be, cause Warner Bros wants there Superhero movies to be dark and gritty.
This is pretty accurate, I think. There's difference to be found here, and it won't be everyone's thing, but it's my thing. But so is Marvel. What, are people not allowed to like both

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Well it looks like this is the end. After the Justice League movie they'll probably reboot the movie universe again with an all new director.

All solo DC hero movies will likely be pulled or vastly changed. Wonder Woman will be safe but don't expect any further Superman movies, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, etc. are done.

Its all over, man, its all over. Shows over, everyone go home.

TurtleTitan97
03-22-2016, 06:20 PM

Which is stupid, because not every DC superhero needs a "Dark & Gritty" movie. Leave the brooding to the Bat.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-22-2016, 06:53 PM

You arrogant rebel. :trazz:

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 06:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dW45yNb.png

http://i.imgur.com/LOicMJA.gif?noredirect

TheSkeletonMan939
03-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Even if Batman v. Superman succeeds financially, it needs to actually be a good movie. Because then people aren't going to waste their time with Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and whatever else is down the line.

That is a dangerous thought to have. :P

Bry
03-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Well, I've already got my ticket. (We're talking about it on the podcast I co-host, so I kind of have to.) I'm gonna keep my mind open, but a lot of the complaints echo my issues with "Man of Steel" (dour, humourless and self-serious). Hoping for the best, though.

But I'm definitely wondering if WB bet on the wrong horse with Zack Snyder. IMO, he's one of the most overrated modern directors working today, and I've never once seen him as the supposed "visionary" he's been hyped as. He's a competent director, but I think he's more focused on visual style than characters or story, and I really don't think he's a good fit for mainstream superhero movies. If this takes a critical drubbing and doesn't play a lot better with audiences than Man of Steel did, I'm gonna be very curious to see what happens next.

Cure
03-22-2016, 07:13 PM
The right critics matter. You need to read from the critics that you know, especially with movies like these, know about everything that's going on, not just ones going to see the movie because it's the biggest movie out since Star Wars: TFA.

For example, I'm willing to bet there will be some film critics that will go see Cap: Civil War because it's the next huge movie on the list, having not seen all the other movies in the MCU. And you really can't do that, because Civil War is going to be the blow off of every thing that has transpired in all the other MCU movies. If you missed one movie, you're missing a chuck of the story.

Therefore, a person is going to have to see all 3 Iron Man movies, both Cap movies, both Thor movies, both Avengers movies, the Ant-Man movie, ect. to show all the destruction and chaos that happened in all those movies, otherwise there's going to be things that make no sense to how everything lead to this Civil War between everyone.

If a critic doesn't see all those movies, they're going to be missing vital elements to that movie that they might not understand that they otherwise would.

Sorry being a bit ranty, but I'm sure you get the gist.

Yeah, that's what I mean; they totally matter.

Redeemer
03-22-2016, 07:17 PM
So one critic bashes the film only to put down the entire genre. And then there's IGN who puts down a serious movie for not being "fun" enough. I guess superhero films should never take themselves seriously or strive to be intelligent then? Maybe Lex Luthor should be calling Superman "underoos." That would certainly be fun. When are people going to learn that critics don't mean sh*t. Who cares what they have to say unless you actually know the reviewer well enough to know that you share common opinions. Otherwise, let's just wait for the movie to come out and then we could decide whether or not we should be worried for ourselves.

Well it looks like this is the end. After the Justice League movie they'll probably reboot the movie universe again with an all new director.

All solo DC hero movies will likely be pulled or vastly changed. Wonder Woman will be safe but don't expect any further Superman movies, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, etc. are done.

Its all over, man, its all over. Shows over, everyone go home.

Turo has very good points, I think people want a happy go lucky, campy movie like the 90's superman movies, but DC is still going for this realistic Nolan style movies like from Dark Knight.

And CyberCubed you are over-reacting.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-22-2016, 07:46 PM
So one critic bashes the film only to put down the entire genre. And then there's IGN who puts down a serious movie for not being "fun" enough. I guess superhero films should never take themselves seriously or strive to be intelligent then?

A film can take itself seriously and be intelligent while having fun at the same time.
Of course, what "fun" is is subjective, but let's say in this case that "fun" means bringing a feeling of warmth to the viewer.

The whole DCAU is like that. There are a lot of heavy moments in its history, but its most serious and intelligent episode might be its finale in the form of the JLU episode "Epilogue". It's also a very fun episode to watch.
There's almost no action; a lot of it is dialogue. It deals with some pretty heavy issues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOooJW5SSDA), especially for a kids' show. But it's fun to watch because it has an optimistic, heart-warming tone, and even a "fun" ending (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZJC0jcEjk).

That's a tone I feel like Man of Steel half-heartedly attempted to achieve, but Superman's lack of character development - if you pay attention, he doesn't quite pay attention to the advice of either of his fathers, completing negating most of the film - overshadows any hope for the future the viewer might have. At least that's how I felt. Superman did not seem like a hero to me, nor did he seem like a human being. Instead he looked like a killing machine, who ironically saved more lives as Clark Kent (remember the oil rig scene?) than he did in the suit.

It's not an intelligent progression for the character, and it took away any "fun" the film might have had for me. Not explosive fun, like Michael Bay-type fun, but fun in the sense that I enjoy watching the film for the optimism and warmness it brings. Without proper closure for Superman's choosing an identity for himself - a human being or a Kryptonian on Earth - I can't get that sense of fun.

And I doubt Batman v Superman will be a fun film either. It'll probably be more destruction porn with philosophical mumbo-jumbo dialogue to fill in between.

Another example of what I consider to be a "fun" film is Rocky Balboa, or the original one. All through both films, people are telling Rocky he's a piece of **** and can't do anything with his life. Well, in the end he does and he manages to become something better. The feels, man! That's what I think makes a movie "fun" to watch, first and foremost.

Commenter 42
03-22-2016, 08:08 PM

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ee53dae5e86635abd6c2ba580ac31c2a/tumblr_nu66mk0Oln1thf1ngo1_500.jpg

Which is stupid, because not every DC superhero needs a "Dark & Gritty" movie. Leave the brooding to the Bat.

Precisely.

Superman is great. Snyderman isn't Superman. Bring back Superman.

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 09:22 PM
How seriously does DC take rottentomato review scores? Even if fans enjoy the movie, if they see it completely panned by critics they're probably going to put on the reverse break plans on all their future movies.

NinjaPug
03-22-2016, 09:37 PM
WB cares about $$$$$. If the box office is there then they'll continue with their plan.

Xiewin
03-22-2016, 09:40 PM
After hearing about Superman's treatment within the film, lol I'm glad it received such a score. While I loved Man of Steel, most of the things I liked came not from superman himself, but from the characters around him.

Zack Synder just doesn't get it, I thought maybe, just maybe, he'll probably improve the character or atleast give him something to work with after the criticisms Man of Steel received, but nooo lets just give Sups even worse characterization than before.

Did WB really think shoving Sups out of the picture and cramming Batman in will make everything better? Everything I've heard from the spoilers/reviews, Superman isn't Superman.

This DCCU is off to a horrible start.

This really sucks because DC has some really great stories and characters.

Redeemer
03-22-2016, 10:08 PM
After hearing about Superman's treatment within the film, lol I'm glad it received such a score. While I loved Man of Steel, most of the things I liked came not from superman himself, but from the characters around him.

Zack Synder just doesn't get it, I thought maybe, just maybe, he'll probably improve the character or atleast give him something to work with after the criticisms Man of Steel received, but nooo lets just give Sups even worse characterization than before.

Did WB really think shoving Sups out of the picture and cramming Batman in will make everything better? Everything I've heard from the spoilers/reviews, Superman isn't Superman.

This DCCU is off to a horrible start.

This really sucks because DC has some really great stories and characters.

Honestly Its hard to make non-gritty superman work well with a gritty batman. Trying to pair two characters who are complete opposites while still having a consistent tone and story is more difficult than most people realize.

Commenter 42
03-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Honestly Its hard to make non-gritty superman work well with a gritty batman. Trying to pair two characters who are complete opposites while still having a consistent tone and story is more difficult than most people realize.

Being a hero, who isn't "gritty" is totally possible; and the two characters don't need to be extreme polar opposites... Superman isn't Space Jesus, he's Superman, and kind of a Superdick from time to time. World's Finest balanced it well, without all the extreme grit and angst.

When you actually care about Superman as a character, who he is, and what he represents, it becomes clear why some of us have been so bloody angry. I get that some of you are aboard the big ole hype train, and good for you, that's your prerogative; you'll eventually come around.

It's not about which house does it better; it's about holding DC to the standard the fans deserve, which after 70 plus years, is better than this.

Like I said, it will still have a monster 2 weeks...no question. It's going to be huge...

But it won't get the repeat viewings, barring the small segment of Fanboys who treat their DC affiliation with religious servitude. No one should be in the mood to watch wanton destruction after today, if we're being honest.

Xiewin
03-22-2016, 10:27 PM

If that's the case then Batman v Superman should have never been made. Either you do it right or you don't do it at all.

I have been yelled at and told "Shut up and just watch the movie" when I gave a few worries about Superman's characterization.
I don't like it when my favorite Superhero is treated like utter garbage due to his good persona. If films like Captain America worked out brilliantly, why can't superman? WB seems to have this strange notion that Batman's tone and grittiness should be the foundation of every superhero film, and guess what? this is exactly what led to their downfall with this movie and Man of Steel.

They should have gone the safe route and done solo films (correctly) and then led up to the Justice League film. Or they should have hired a different director as Zack is known for tonally inconsistent films.

They could have done a MOS 2 like they originally planned, and correct the mistakes that were left over from MOS. But no they wanted to rush to the formation of the Justice League to compete with marvel and then made the fatal mistake of casting a director with a bad track-record.

Sorry I personally feel like they got what they deserved. I don't want a DCCU were all the characters are completely broken at their core.

But the good thing is that I'm still looking forward to Suicide Squad.

sdp
03-22-2016, 10:48 PM
I have never paid attention to rottentomatoes or reviews in general until I see the movie and even then I already saw it so I don't really care and my opinion has already been made. To me reviews are only for movies I'm going to watch on netflix. I do think people have it out for DC in general similar to how Nintendo always gets heat while Sony gets a pass or Apple products are praised and Microsoft isn't given a chance. Do the bad reviews affect the DCEU? Not really, it depends. The negativity affected Man of Steel because even though it did very well it didn't meet expectations. This movie based on presales is looking to outdo expectations. Transformers has gotten so much hate on the internet and terrible review scores but that hasn't stopped the franchise. So yeah it all depends, if it bombs and is panned by critics like Green Lantern then just like last time it'll put a stop on what they're doing now. They're too in on their cinematic universe to just let it go if this didn't go well though. They'd definitely wait and see what happens with Suicide Squad to see what worked and didn't in BvS. Me personally I'm a fan of both DC and Snyder so I'm pretty confident that this movie is going to be right up my alley regardless of what people think.

I just bought my midnight ticket for tomorrow night a few minutes ago. I really wasn't sure if I was going to go at midnight. I think I'm over midnight showings and will only ever do it for very few movies like say a Jurassic Park sequel or Star Wars (Episodes) and whatnot. As big of a DC fan that I am I think I can wait, I only decided to get my ticket now because it just happened to work that midnight worked best in my schedule to watch it somewhat soon.

Galactus
03-22-2016, 10:51 PM
I don't want a DCCU were all the characters are completely broken at their core.

I think the people behind the movies have acknowledged this. Didn't they make a big point to say how Justice League will be lighter?

They must have realized that their approach with this movie was going to be divisive late on, too late to alter this movie but want to make sure we know it isn't always going to be like this.

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 10:52 PM
http://i.4cdn.org/tv/1458702478429.jpg

Hell has frozen over.

Xiewin
03-22-2016, 11:06 PM
I think the people behind the movies have acknowledged this. Didn't they make a big point to say how Justice League will be lighter?

They must have realized that their approach with this movie was going to be divisive late on, too late to alter this movie but want to make sure we know it isn't always going to be like this.

Unless Zack is removed from his position as the director, then I can't exactly say that WB knows what exactly is causing the films to be so divided in terms of critical reception.

The guy as too many issues in terms of pacing and character storytelling. Even his actions scenes can be a little out of wack at times. He also needs to stop using that Grayish and cold filler over his films, it just looks utterly dreadful in the finished product.

I don't think placing a lighter tone would exactly fix the core of the problem which is Zack Synder.

Commenter 42
03-22-2016, 11:07 PM
I still don't think they get their audience.

It seems clear that there's a small percentage of people who are totally in love with Snyders' style, and again, that's fine, (if you dig the Affliction T-shirt approach to film that is...) Personally, I find it heavy handed and douchey, but that's just his style, and there's really no winning with the tasteless.

Snyder and DC have decided to cast against type across the board, and not even for the sake of acting prowess, but simply for shock value. Start there, if anything.

If they have any hope of fixing this, they need to dump Geoff Johns and Snyder, Jim Lee, hell, the whole top brass of DC right now, and find their way back to the classic look and feel everyone loves.

They also need to stop trying to distance themselves from Marvel, or CBM's, and embrace what they are. If they just made a good film, they win. It's not that difficult to know what the fans want. A good film, about the characters they love; not an artfilm full of actors with big egos.

As someone else said, don't start by breaking the characters and expect us to love the shattered remains.

http://i.4cdn.org/tv/1458702478429.jpg

Hell has frozen over.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55765197e4b0b131dadaa12d/t/561fa599e4b0667ac1ab1147/1444914585354/

Xiewin
03-22-2016, 11:13 PM
DC is in such a bad position right now.

In fact I haven't been enjoying anything they have been putting out lately. The comics, the animated movies, and now the DCCU just lacks all sorts of quality as a whole.

The Killing Joke looks promising, but honestly I'm getting sick of Batman stuff.

TurtleTitan97
03-22-2016, 11:17 PM
If they have any hope of fixing this, they need to dump Geoff Johns and Snyder, Jim Lee, hell, the whole top brass of DC right now, and find their way back to the classic look and feel everyone loves.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55765197e4b0b131dadaa12d/t/561fa599e4b0667ac1ab1147/1444914585354/

By "classic look and feel everyone loves", what would that look like to you, personally?

CyberCubed
03-22-2016, 11:18 PM
The animated DC movies have been hit or miss lately, but they're decent for what they are.

DC as a whole is in shambles. The New 52 backfired, the current cartoons are just TT Go and canceled stuff, the Synder films are a mixed bag, etc.

Its time they get bought out by another company. Maybe Time Warner can sell them off.

sdp
03-22-2016, 11:19 PM
They need to stop trying to distance themselves from Marvel, or CBM's, and embrace what they are. If they just made a good film, they win. It's not that difficult to know what the fans want.
[/url]

You want them to just be a copy of Marvel then? They already tried with Green Lantern and it backfired. I don't see how the cookie cutter Marvel formula would really help them. It's worked for Marvel but even then people have been getting tired of that since its been used for nearly ten years.

The problem DC has is their heroes have been bigger for far longer. Everyone has their idea of what Batman or especially Superman should be. I enjoy the darker tone DC movies have.

Commenter 42
03-22-2016, 11:32 PM
By "classic look and feel everyone loves", what would that look like to you, personally?

I mean, the general audience. It's so small, but something as stupid as losing the red trunks, well, that's iconic.

Superman, has charm and charisma. He MUST have charm and charisma.

Nobody in the real world knows or cares about the "new 52". The internet, in chatrooms, they care, outside of that, they know he wears his undies on the outside, he's a good guy, and he wears a red cape. They know kryptonite hurts him. That's it.

Batman? I don't think anyone, plant wide needs to hear the story about his parents, ever again. Batman you can do a lot with, because of the sheer volume of bat-merch...

What I mean is, they have iconic looks, and iconic personas that everyone expects. Stop going against the grain. Have fun with it. It needs to feel like an adventure.

You want them to just be a copy of Marvel then? They already tried with Green Lantern and it backfired. I don't see how the cookie cutter Marvel formula would really help them. It's worked for Marvel but even then people have been getting tired of that since its been used for nearly ten years.

The problem DC has is their heroes have been bigger for far longer. Everyone has their idea of what Batman or especially Superman should be. I enjoy the darker tone DC movies have.

No - no I don't want more Marvel, but it should be exciting and fun, not angry and depressing. I'm not a huge Marvel guy...I'm a Superman fan first...I just haven't seen him in a very long time.

And the movie can be serious, I don't like big and fluffy stories, (I loved DD season 2) You can have a mature film that isn't faux morose.

These Snyderisms feel like a bad-ass 13 year old emo kid; a big tryhard.

Mad Max was great, right? It was, wild and alive, but most importantly, it was very much a Mad Max Film!!! It knew what it was.
Superman can be serious, but his movies should be event movies, huge and amazing. Punching people through buildings, we've seen it a hundred times. it hasn't ben impressive since the Matrix.

Snyder doesn't know how to do that, and likely never will.

Vicky82
03-22-2016, 11:37 PM
38% on Rotten Tomatoes

18 fresh 31 rotten

Commenter 42
03-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Like I said, it's PDMT all over again.

Looks like I won't be wearing Affleck in my undies anytime soon.

Redeemer
03-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Being a hero, who isn't "gritty" is totally possible; and the two characters don't need to be extreme polar opposites... Superman isn't Space Jesus, he's Superman, and kind of a Superdick from time to time. World's Finest balanced it well, without all the extreme grit and angst.

When you actually care about Superman as a character, who he is, and what he represents, it becomes clear why some of us have been so bloody angry. I get that some of you are aboard the big ole hype train, and good for you, that's your prerogative; you'll eventually come around.

It's not about which house does it better; it's about holding DC to the standard the fans deserve, which after 70 plus years, is better than this.

Like I said, it will still have a monster 2 weeks...no question. It's going to be huge...

But it won't get the repeat viewings, barring the small segment of Fanboys who treat their DC affiliation with religious servitude. No one should be in the mood to watch wanton destruction after today, if we're being honest.

I am not saying that it has to be dark and gritty, but "Dark Knight returns" which this movie is taking loose liberties from it a dark and gritty story they are simply following the tone of the comic and have you read the book or seen the D-TV adaptation????? Super-man is space Jesus :lol:

and please don't start label or attacking others it is immature and will lead to the thread being locked.

But anyway I understand why super-man fans might be upset with the treatment of superman in this movie especially if it is like dark knight returns at all.
Also Worlds Finest did is great imo ,but it is and extremely toned down version of Batman. But hey it was a kids movie :lol: will just have to let that one slide.

TurtleTitan97
03-23-2016, 01:01 AM
I am not saying that it has to be dark and gritty, but "Dark Knight returns" which this movie is taking loose liberties from it a dark and gritty story they are simply following the tone of the comic and have you read the book or seen the D-TV adaptation????? Super-man is space Jesus :lol:

Superman didn't really come off as "Space Jesus" in DKR. He was literally just a tool for the government.

Krutch
03-23-2016, 01:26 AM
http://st-listas.20minutos.es/images/2012-03/323615/3437110_640px.jpg?1331946960

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 01:51 AM
I feel like I can't enjoy this movie now because online reviews told me not to! How dare the media tell me what to think!

Amaranthus
03-23-2016, 03:43 AM
WB should just give the rights back to Marvel, ugh!

Ninturtle
03-23-2016, 03:52 AM
I don't know why Batman v Superman has such a low score, every review I saw from people who saw the film early ( even ones who didn't like Man of Steel ) was extremely positive. It's probably getting negative reviews from people who didn't see the movie. I doubt it's Bat Man and Robin bad, I'm sure it's flawed but I doubt it 's Bat Man and Robin level of bad.

Vicky82
03-23-2016, 04:17 AM
Even if it's getting bad reviews, it will still make a lot of money.

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 04:25 AM
and please don't start label or attacking others it is immature and will lead to the thread being locked.

Jesus Christ! I didn't!

Everybody stay calm.

Superman didn't really come off as "Space Jesus" in DKR. He was literally just a tool for the government.

Lol, exactly. I think we're the only ones who read those comics.

Amaranthus
03-23-2016, 04:26 AM

Your point is?

Ninturtle
03-23-2016, 04:32 AM

That doesn't mean anything, if it's a bad film and fans hate it the movie won't make as much money as it would have.

Bry
03-23-2016, 05:40 AM
And the movie can be serious, I don't like big and fluffy stories, (I loved DD season 2) You can have a mature film that isn't faux morose.

These Snyderisms feel like a bad-ass 13 year old emo kid; a big tryhard.

Yeah, basically my take on... well, Snyder in general. There are ways to do serious, heavy-hitting stories with big ideas and still make them fun and give them a sense of humour. I'd even say that most ultra-serious, dour movies come off as pretentious, so how is the one about people and tights and capes gonna fare?

I don't know why Batman v Superman has such a low score, every review I saw from people who saw the film early ( even ones who didn't like Man of Steel ) was extremely positive.

Early reactions (like those on Twitter) are almost always universally positive. BayTurtles had a pretty hugely positive reaction to early screenings on Twitter, and... well, that didn't exactly hold. People who see early screenings are especially excited, and often more emotionally invested in liking it than they would be otherwise. You get a better idea of the consensus in the weeks after it opens.

TonySiegel
03-23-2016, 05:43 AM
i'm still locked in for 2 showings...

but i'm hoping its a tolerable movie... dont want to suffer through it twice...

damm i had high hopes... but i guess my skeptic side took over and it might turn out to be right...

ZariusTwo
03-23-2016, 06:13 AM
Also Worlds Finest did is great imo ,but it is and extremely toned down version of Batman..

The DCAU Batman is no way a toned down version of the character. He remains to this day one of the few accurate depictions of the character put to screen.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
03-23-2016, 06:19 AM

I'm sorry, but that's not allowed on the Internet.:P

Sumac
03-23-2016, 06:56 AM
So, it seems, that negative predictions about quality of the movie have been accurate after all and Snyder made another Snyder movie: with spastic action, but ultimately devoid of charisma and with characters serving as mere tools for mass destruction.

Prior to its release I've felt like a Two-Face: part of me wanted this movie to succeed, because, good movie is a good thing for everyone, part of me wanted this movie to fail, because, I don't believe in Snyder. But if things are really that bad, I am afraid I can't really uphold my neutrality anymore.

No matter, the ultimate scores and box-office, I hope, heads will roll in Warner Bros. In particular I hope that Snyder's head will roll as far away as possible from DCCU.

It's probably getting negative reviews from people who didn't see the movie.
Snyder Defense Force™ must try harder.

P.S.
Need to send bottle of vodka to Leo.
He will need it. :cry:

NinjaPug
03-23-2016, 07:07 AM

Considering the budget it needs to make a ton of money just to break even. That's not the issue though. This movie is supposed to be the foundation for the DCEU. If people don't like it they're not going to come back for lesser known character movies.

I'm curious what they're going to do going forward. I don't see how you can keep Snyder on board even though they're supposed to start shooting JL on 4/11. This is the same company that pulled the plug on George Miller's JL movie 5 days before it started shooting.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 07:41 AM
I don't know why Batman v Superman has such a low score, every review I saw from people who saw the film early ( even ones who didn't like Man of Steel ) was extremely positive.

Early Twitter reactions for Iron Man 3 and Fant4stic were also just as positive. They mean nothing.

I'm sure everyone at DC and WB involved with the film is pissing their pants right now at these early reviews.
This is supposed to be the launching pad for DC's lineup, and I can hardly believe that they would allow a film that costs this much - both financially and in the long run - to leave the studio half-baked.

It's such an incredulous thing for them to do that I was actually intending to see this at the theater, because I figured that they would have patched what they'd gotten wrong with BvS and create a legitimately intelligent film. These reviews, combined with the horror I read when looking at spoilers, have made me think twice.

I also think it was foolish of them to announce their schedule up through 2020. Why the hell did they do that? If BvS doesn't do well, they'll look like huge fools if they have to drop some future titles, or change up their release schedule.

plastroncafe
03-23-2016, 07:46 AM
I require two things out of a movie:

1) That it be better than Iron-Man 2
2) That it be engaging enough to keep me from looking at my watch.

A friend of mine, who's taste I generally trust has informed me this movie is a slog, save for Jeremy Irons and Gal Gadot. And while she's very much looking forward to Wonder Woman, she's confirmed that this movie is not than Iron-Man 2...a movie which she actually enjoyed.

So rather than being Nickelback's song catalog personified like its predecessor, this one is the full discography of Linkin Park.

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Well, at least the toy's in color.
http://i.imgur.com/9g38lrh.jpg

Damn fine looking toy.

Ninturtle
03-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Yeah, basically my take on... well, Snyder in general. There are ways to do serious, heavy-hitting stories with big ideas and still make them fun and give them a sense of humour. I'd even say that most ultra-serious, dour movies come off as pretentious, so how is the one about people and tights and capes gonna fare?

Early reactions (like those on Twitter) are almost always universally positive. BayTurtles had a pretty hugely positive reaction to early screenings on Twitter, and... well, that didn't exactly hold. People who see early screenings are especially excited, and often more emotionally invested in liking it than they would be otherwise. You get a better idea of the consensus in the weeks after it opens.

I hadn't really considered that, but however bad it is it most likely isn't as Bad as B&R..

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 07:55 AM
I hadn't really considered that, but however bad it is it most likely isn't as Bad as B&R..

That's not a yardstick any film should have to resort to.

Looks like I spoke too soon! (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_a_job_2016/)
Why would you put two people with bitchy resting face together in one movie?
The contempt in that film must be off the charts!

Redeemer
03-23-2016, 09:53 AM

When you try to sacrifice yourself by taking a Nuke to the face sacrificing urself for the greater good and then pretty much raise yourself from death's door via healing urself. That sounds and looks a lot like Jesus.

:lol: He was definitely a tool as well though.

Jesus Christ! I didn't!

Everybody stay calm.

Lol, exactly. I think we're the only ones who read those comics.

:ohwell: You kinda of did by labeling everyone fanboys and insulting their ability of being objective...... It was pretty obvious........ :ohwell: I am justing asking everyone be careful of what they post and be civil we don't want or need a repeat of the "TMNT Movie" section again. That is all.

sdp
03-23-2016, 10:20 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a movie get bad "early reactions", they're usually good no matter what movie. When a movie has a mixed opinion you can go in knowing that you may enjoy it but when its overwhelmingly negative its for a reason, I guess I'll find out soon enough. I do think this movie had very high expectations from the general audience so I believe that's what's giving so many bad reviews but I don't know.I still don't 'think the movie is that bad it may just have all these flaws that people are blowing up. I'm watching the movie tonight, so I'll definitely post my spoiler free thoughts on it.

Andrew NDB
03-23-2016, 10:21 AM
If this takes a critical drubbing and doesn't play a lot better with audiences than Man of Steel did, I'm gonna be very curious to see what happens next.

It's fairly horrifying. As timid and reactionary WB are... I could easily see them pulling the plug on everything short of Wonder Woman (which is already filming) and sitting on all of the DC comic book IPs for another decade before trying this all again. And even if BvS isn't Shakespeare, I still want to see the Justice League unite on the big screen before I die (and maybe a punchout match with Darkseid), and a proper GL movie.

TurtleTitan97
03-23-2016, 10:24 AM
When you try to sacrifice yourself by taking a Nuke to the face sacrificing urself for the greater good and then pretty much raise yourself from death's door via healing urself. That sounds and looks a lot like Jesus.

Sorry man, I still don't see it.

ZariusTwo
03-23-2016, 10:35 AM
"Nothing for the kids"

jXuSZ9YB5UI

Vicky82
03-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Your point is?

That doesn't mean anything, if it's a bad film and fans hate it the movie won't make as much money as it would have.

Transformers 4 was a bad film but still made over $1 billion worldwide. So I think it could be similar with Batman vs Superman too.

By the Amaranthus hope you, your family and friends are OK after what happened in Belgium yesterday.

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 11:31 AM
I wonder if this will affect the Batman solo movie coming out.

Man, the neogaf thread on the movie has people having meltdowns:

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199712

Amaranthus
03-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Transformers 4 was a bad film but still made over $1 million worldwide. So I think it could be similar with Batman vs Superman too.

By the Amaranthus hope you, your family and friends are OK after what happened in Belgium yesterday.

You made my heart grow 3 sizes today.
I'm fine. Don't live close to Brussels and I never have to be there.
No idea about my friends. I lost contact with most of them after an incident in school.

ZariusTwo
03-23-2016, 01:04 PM
WB allegedly held an emergency conference call overnight.

http://www.moovienews.com/20160323-major-shakeup-for-warnerbros-and-dc.html

NinjaPug
03-23-2016, 01:11 PM
That report made me laugh.

Spike Spiegel
03-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Well, at least the toy's in color.
http://i.imgur.com/9g38lrh.jpg

Damn fine looking toy.

A hell of a lot better than the six inch version that comes with the piece of the Batman grapnel prop. I was going to purchase one until I noticed the sculpt on the face was so blocky.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91vRY6S1%2BvL._SL1500_.jpg

Too much of a "dude" face.

TonySiegel
03-23-2016, 01:41 PM
zwcJjE_61XE

:lol:

damm

Sumac
03-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Zack Snyder, in his interview to the Wall Street Journal, answers to criticism about death toll of Superman actions in Man of Steel...by comparing it to death toll in The Force Awakens.
I went, really? And I said, well, what about [‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’]? In ‘Star Wars’ they destroy five planets with billions of people on them. That’s gotta be one of the highest death toll movies in history, the new ‘Star Wars’ movie, if you just do the math.
OK, so Superman in his vision is equal to the quasi-fascist empire?
That explains a lot. :D

Source (http://www.slashfilm.com/man-of-steel-death-toll-star-wars/)

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 01:50 PM
I almost thought he was joking when he said that. It's such a stupid thing to say.

It's not like Finn tripped on a wire and accidentally started up the giant laser. It was the evil Empire destroying a planet. Is that what Snyder has to compare Superman to in order to justify his wanton destruction?

Snyder would have been better off comparing Superman's actions to a) someone who comparably has to do destruction to do good and b) a good movie, because TFA wasn't a good Star Wars film.

NinjaPug
03-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Jesus...will Snyder ever stop trying to justify the choices he made in MoS? This latest round of justification is his worst yet.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Snyder's comments remind me of another director who also had poor excuses for his bad choices... hmm...

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/trank-twitter-ff4.jpg

Amaranthus
03-23-2016, 01:54 PM
TFA wasn't a good Star Wars film.

You better shut your goddamn mouth, boi.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 01:57 PM
You better shut your goddamn mouth, boi.

https://pp.vk.me/c628018/v628018423/256d4/37wTULf7hXo.jpg Make me.

I in all honesty think Attack of the Clones was better.

Amaranthus
03-23-2016, 02:00 PM
https://pp.vk.me/c628018/v628018423/256d4/37wTULf7hXo.jpg Make me.

I in all honesty think Attack of the Clones was better.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/game-creators-universe/images/8/83/Joker.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140528193304

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-23-2016, 02:00 PM
zwcJjE_61XE

:lol:

damm

No opinion on the movie's actual quality until I see this week, but damn. :tlol: I LOVE those videos.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 02:02 PM
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/game-creators-universe/images/8/83/Joker.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140528193304

http://49.media.tumblr.com/c67b1b9a9a2f96fe744c3b91b7336494/tumblr_mq0l9o5Ulv1rv3w3po9_250.gif

I know, I admit it. It's a bit of a silly thing to say, but I honestly rank AotC higher than TFA. :lol:

TonySiegel
03-23-2016, 02:06 PM
No opinion on the movie's actual quality until I see this week, but damn. :tlol: I LOVE those videos.

i feel you man but they may have man of steeled this one man... i was heated when that joint came out on my b-day... such high hopes...

i thought they'd redeem the DC universe with this... but damm... the friday and saturday showings will be tough to get through if this movie is terrible...

Amaranthus
03-23-2016, 02:06 PM
http://49.media.tumblr.com/c67b1b9a9a2f96fe744c3b91b7336494/tumblr_mq0l9o5Ulv1rv3w3po9_250.gif

I know, I admit it. It's a bit of a silly thing to say, but I honestly rank AotC higher than TFA. :lol:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m90pc4eODS1rpoldbo9_500.gif

Whatswiththeheadbands?
03-23-2016, 02:17 PM
TFA wasn't a good Star Wars film.

Sadly, I actually agree with this.

Amaranthus
03-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Lalalalala not listening.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 02:22 PM
i thought they'd redeem the DC universe with this... but damm... the friday and saturday showings will be tough to get through if this movie is terrible...

If the movie sucks on Friday, you should duck out on Saturday and see a good comic book movie (http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/600/0/1/deadpool-ver11-18cc3.jpg). :D

TonySiegel
03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
If the movie sucks on Friday, you should duck out on Saturday and see a good comic book movie (http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/600/0/1/deadpool-ver11-18cc3.jpg). :D

nah i cant man! i'm locked in going with my family... and i'm done with deadpool...

my fault came when I decided i couldnt wait til saturday so i bought tickets for friday as well...

dammmit DC & Snyder!!!! you to jj abrams!

ZariusTwo
03-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Beyond the Trailer's review is a bit more positive (but keep in mind, this is the same person who petitioned to have Deadpool be PG-13)

SgVbxPpTHWc

AquaParade
03-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Beyond the Trailer's review is a bit more positive (but keep in mind, this is the same person who petitioned to have Deadpool be PG-13)

SgVbxPpTHWc

Nothing non-superficial against this lady, but her vocal delivery drives me nuts. Can't stand listening to her reviews, but I would certainly read them.
My own problem, anyways.

Edit: Actually, the content of the review may play a part in my disdain. Insinuating that actors should be embarrassed and need to redeem themselves, etc for their roles is sort of overdoing it and playing up the drama

TigerClaw
03-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Here is Jeremy Jahns spoiler free review.

aC4rt7K8fPY

DarkLightDragon
03-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Snyder's comments remind me of another director who also had poor excuses for his bad choices... hmm...

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/trank-twitter-ff4.jpg

...We are seriously living in an age where personal responsibility is phasing out of people's common sense and would rather scapegoat rather than have to feel bad for themselves or what they do.

Sumac
03-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Nothing new here, especially, when it comes to people with inflated egos, who have been unfairly praised.

Redeemer
03-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Sorry man, I still don't see it.

I guess its just me then :lol:

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 03:54 PM
Nothing new here, especially, when it comes to people with inflated egos, who have been unfairly praised.

Jesus, I'm just thinking back to a month and a half ago...

All the anger, all the hate. All the stupid Drama.

Maybe now he'll see the light.

For our fallen Crip.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/11/112749/2825591-8919306837-I1nE3.gif

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 04:06 PM
This is the end, my beautiful friends. So its been confirmed:

- Wonder Woman movie will have re-writes

- Justice League movie pushed back, likely have rewrites, Synder on the chopping block

- Green Lantern, Aquaman, Cyborg, etc. films all canceled

- Next Superman solo movie will probably not happen for another decade or so

- Batman's solo movie is the only thing seemingly going ahead at this point, but it will be a while so who knows what can change between the.

Its all over. They had one chance, and they blew it. We, the fans, all suffer. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Turo602
03-23-2016, 04:09 PM
Zack Snyder, in his interview to the Wall Street Journal, answers to criticism about death toll of Superman actions in Man of Steel...by comparing it to death toll in The Force Awakens.

OK, so Superman in his vision is equal to the quasi-fascist empire?
That explains a lot. :D

Source (http://www.slashfilm.com/man-of-steel-death-toll-star-wars/)

You mean Zod's actions.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 04:10 PM

"Confirmed" means.... "confirmed". Not "I made up what I think will happen".

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 04:19 PM

- Justice League movie pushed back, likely have rewrites, Synder on the chopping block

- Batman's solo movie is the only thing seemingly going ahead at this point, but it will be a while so who knows what can change between the.

Its all over. They had one chance, and they blew it. We, the fans, all suffer. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

They blew it with MOS; They blew it when they decided to screw with their billion dollar character.

Snyder's that kid in the sandbox that had no respect for his toys, or anyone else's.

That article from Forbes said it best.

Warner Brothers Destroyed Superman's Brand For Their New Franchise. Will It Pay Off? (http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2016/03/18/warner-brothers-destroyed-supermans-brand-for-their-new-franchise-will-it-pay-off/2/#42ebd2f85d68)

"Confirmed" means.... "confirmed". Not "I made up what I think will happen".

Actually, he's exactly right.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Snyder's that kid in the sandbox that had no respect for his toys, or anyone else's.

The Hitler video someone posted the other page (that sounds crazy out of context :lol:) said that the DCEU needed a "Joss Whedon" to pull itself together.

What's interesting is that I find Whedon to be exactly like Snyder in that he has no respect for anyone else's "toys". He did whatever the hell he wanted in Avengers 2, regardless of what other films established. Iron Man was in it whole-heartedly, despite Tony getting rid of literally all his suits in Iron Man 3. Cap was enthusiastic when he saw SHIELD's return at the end of the film, instead of being pissed off after all the trouble he went through in The Winter Soldier.

One comment of his I read that really bothered me was that, in his mind, Phil Coulson was still dead even after his TV show started. That is not the mindset you should have if you're participating in a shared universe with lots of other writers and directors, and if that's the way he felt he should never have signed on. I'm so glad he got all the crap he did for Age of Ultron (even if the anger against him was misplaced) and I'm glad it doesn't seem like he'll be returning to the MCU.

Sumac
03-23-2016, 04:27 PM
You mean Zod's actions.
He talks about battle in Metropolis as a whole.

Also, Snyder thinks that he "grow up" character of Superman:
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Snyder admitted he was caught off guard by detractors of Man of Steel. “I was surprised with the fervency of the defense of the concept of Superman,” he said. “I feel like they were taking it personally that I was trying to grow up their character.”
From the same interview.

Jesus, I'm just thinking back to a month and a half ago...

All the anger, all the hate. All the stupid Drama.

Maybe now he'll see the light.

For our fallen Crip.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/11/112749/2825591-8919306837-I1nE3.gif
I wish he was still here - meltdown and denial would have been glorious.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Also, Snyder thinks that he "grow up" character of Superman

Let me guess, Superman is going through his edgy teen phase right now? Is that what's up, Snyder? :lol:

TigerClaw
03-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Here is Collider's spoiler free review.

olwUct0o8mY

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 04:53 PM
The Hitler video someone posted the other page (that sounds crazy out of context :lol:) said that the DCEU needed a "Joss Whedon" to pull itself together.

What's interesting is that I find Whedon to be exactly like Snyder in that he has no respect for anyone else's "toys". He did whatever the hell he wanted in Avengers 2, regardless of what other films established. Iron Man was in it whole-heartedly, despite Tony getting rid of literally all his suits in Iron Man 3. Cap was enthusiastic when he saw SHIELD's return at the end of the film, instead of being pissed off after all the trouble he went through in The Winter Soldier.

One comment of his I read that really bothered me was that, in his mind, Phil Coulson was still dead even after his TV show started. That is not the mindset you should have if you're participating in a shared universe with lots of other writers and directors, and if that's the way he felt he should never have signed on. I'm so glad he got all the crap he did for Age of Ultron (even if the anger against him was misplaced) and I'm glad it doesn't seem like he'll be returning to the MCU.

Alright, I just want to make clear, I'm not a huge fan of Whedon, but I can deal with his style. I didn't love Avengers, the story was weak, but they finally gave us the perfect cinematic Hulk, so there's that.

I'm just a big Superman nerd at the end of the day. If we're being honest, Nolan, Goyer, Snyder; they all had a hand. They should all be held responsible.

Nolan is the least cohesive storyteller around, and should be kept as far away from DC as possible. If you want a big dynamic DCEU, I think George Millar could potentially be a good way to go, but there are definitely many others who should be considered.

I'll be honest though, I'm dancing over here knowing Snyder and his craptastic universe are possibly being scrubbed. Dream come true man.

I want a Justice League, but not this. It's all wrong.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Nolan is the least cohesive storyteller around, and should be kept as far away from DC as possible. If you want a big dynamic DCEU, I think George Millar could potentially be a good way to go, but there are definitely many others who should be considered.

Wait, Nolan isn't a cohesive storyteller but George Miller is?? You realize he has no clue where in the timeline Fury Road takes place, right? :lol:

TigerClaw
03-23-2016, 05:08 PM
According to Collider's review, this Batman is vicious and brutal, I always wanted to see Batman kick major ass and give those bad guys what they deserve.

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Wait, Nolan isn't a cohesive storyteller but George Miller is?? You realize he has no clue where in the timeline Fury Road takes place, right? :lol:

Lol, sure, but does he have to? Go ahead, explain the internal logic of the 3 Batman films, or MOS. The Prestige, Interstellar, Inception... massive plot holes though out all of them.

Small example of the stupidity in Nolan land. To track Gordon through the rushing sewer water, Bane kills a dude, then stuffs a cellphone in his pocket, and pushes him in.

1. Cellphones don't work so well when wet.
2. Why would the dead corpse float along the exact same trajectory as a living Gordon? And even if we imagine so, is it necessary?
3. Maps.

All of Nolan's films are riddled with this kind of garbage.

Also his idiotic Pretentious "film" crusade. If you know anything about photography, you know he's absolutely full of sh*t.

Jephael
03-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Okay so I just re-watched Man of Steel for the first time since it came out on DVD and the movie is not near as dark, gritty and violent as people are making it out to be. Most of the buildings being destroyed during the fight between Superman and Zod had long since been evacuated at that point in the movie after the whole world engine sequence (which I'm certain was an area no bigger than the portion of New York that was under attack in Marvel's The Avengers). People act like there's no humor in Zach Snyder's story telling, but there's some clever jokes here and there, like when Clark uses his X-ray vision to see Dr. Hamilton through the two-way mirror during the interrogation scene. And who can forget the lovely Carol Ferris (or whatever her name is in the film) at the end when she blushes as she says "I just think he's kinda hot."

I'm hoping to get the same enjoyment from Batman v. Superman that I got from that last movie, and even if I don't I've always got other iterations of my favorite DC heroes to fall back on.

TurtleTitan97
03-23-2016, 05:21 PM
And who can forget the lovely Carol Ferris at the end when she blushes when she says "I just think he's kinda hot."

Uh, that wasn't Carol Ferris.

Jephael
03-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Uh, that wasn't Carol Ferris.

I know, I went back and edited my original post. I think she was intended to be an analogue of Carol Ferris or something.

Chris
03-23-2016, 05:30 PM
After Man of Steel (which I though had some redeeming elements but ultimately was only an average movie and a really bad Superman movie) the best I could muster for BvS was cautiously optimistic. I had no faith in Snyder but hoped Terrio might at least give some substance to Snyder's style. Plus with the promise that the plot would address many of the wrongs of MoS I held on to the hope that Snyder would learn from his mistakes, WB/DC would keep a closer watch on him and restrain some of his bad ideas (like Superman killing Zod), and we could move forward to build a better DCU.

The last few weeks as the hyped built and the early word of mouth was positive I allowed my optimism to grow. Then the flood gates opened.

Based on these reviews and some of the spoilers I've read I'm not even cautiously optimistic. I'm going in tomorrow night with the expectation that it will be terrible. Hopefully with my expectations so low I'll leave pleasantly surprised.

If it really is this bad then Snyder has to go. He's had two chances and it sounds like he's blown both of them. It's not all on him though. WB knew how divisive MoS was and they brought him back not just for BvS but for JL and to spearhead their entire cinematic universe. They could (and should) have kept him under tighter control whilst making BvS. They needed this to be a safe film to launch their universe and the DCEU brand and MoS showed he wasn't the right man for that.

Bring in the Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and the other brains behind the animated universe, bring in Grant Morrison, bring in the creative teams behind their successful TV universe. Not necessarily to direct but to help set the tone and world build as their story group.

Snyder's comments about growing up Superman, his portrayal in MoS and what the reviews say about BvS show he's the wrong guy for Superman. He doesn't get the character. His comments about TV's Flash having the wrong tone for the films is pathetic. These characters and films don't all need the same tone, the TV shows are successful because they all have a tone appropriate for the characters and they still blend well together when they cross over.

THGhost
03-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Seeing this on Friday. The critics aren't being kind to it. Although reactions from early fan screenings were positive, so I'll make up my own mind soon.

You feeling okay, Cubed?

Bry
03-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Also, Snyder thinks that he "grow up" character of Superman:

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Snyder admitted he was caught off guard by detractors of Man of Steel. “I was surprised with the fervency of the defense of the concept of Superman,” he said. “I feel like they were taking it personally that I was trying to grow up their character.”

Oh my god, **** Zack Snyder.

"Trying to grow up their character". The ego on this guy! Does he seriously think that he's got better ideas for the character than 78 years of stories by countless creators across damn near every form of media there is? Like the entire history of the character is inferior and childish compared to Man of Freakin' Steel?

I know it shouldn't upset me. It's just movies. But he's revealing his dismissiveness and contempt for the character and his history here, and that just highlights that he was always the wrong person for the job. I honestly don't think he "gets" or even likes Superman at all. I think he's philosophically at odds with who the character is, and instead of just... not directing Superman movies, he's desperately trying to rewrite the character to suit him, instead of adjusting his sensibilities to suit the character.

Listen. He's a competent director with a distinctive style. I will absolutely give him that. But it's become clear that he thinks he's a waaaay smarter storyteller than he actually is. He may have some potentially interesting ideas, but he's got a pretty terrible track record in executing those ideas with engaging stories and compelling characters. And I think all of this controversy means a lot of people are finally starting to realize it.

DarkLightDragon
03-23-2016, 07:02 PM
For me, his credibility went down the moment he compared the death toll in the Force Awakens to the one from MoS. I haven't even watched SW: TFA and yet it's easy to see not only how off the mark it really is, but also just resorting to such a fallacy at all should tell anybody how full of himself this guy is.

Powder
03-23-2016, 07:03 PM
I'm not surprised this blows but I am surprised people actually see it for themselves & admit it freely. A step in the right direction. Suicide Squad still looks dope, at least.

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm not surprised this blows but I am surprised people actually see it for themselves & admit it freely. A step in the right direction. Suicide Squad still looks dope, at least.

Most are going to see this for Batman and Wonder Woman, who are the two highlights of the film.

Darthknuxward
03-23-2016, 07:37 PM

Cubed where'd you get your info?

Commenter 42
03-23-2016, 08:20 PM

Yeah, kinda shocking tbh. It's strange that didn't happen when PDMT was released.

Weird.

Powder
03-23-2016, 09:03 PM
My thoughts exactly... :tlol:

Guess folks hold these characters to higher standards since they were allowed to have their dark/serious sides shine.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Well, I don't think anyone was expecting anything brilliant from a Michael Bay-driven TMNT film. Expectations were slightly lower than those of people waiting to see what DC had to rival Marvel's lineup.

Powder
03-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Did people expect brilliance from this? Seemed pretty run of the mill/pretentiously brooding to me.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Did people expect brilliance from this? Seemed pretty run of the mill/pretentiously brooding to me.

Oh yeah, they expected brilliance, as they well should have. The spectacle of DC's most well-known trio of heroes coming together for the first time cinematically ought to inspire brilliance in talented filmmakers.

Powder
03-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Oh, well yeah, sure, but I mean post-trailers. :trazz:

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 09:18 PM
I wonder why Zack Synder is not getting much backlash compared to other directors who bomb popular franchises. Just look at what the backlash to Fantastic Four and Green Lantern did.

Bry
03-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Because money talks, and that kind of narrative at least partially depends on how the movie performs. Trank got some hate beforehand, but once Fant4astic bombed is when it really became real. If BvS underperforms after a couple of weeks, I expect Snyder will get plenty of backlash.

JTH
03-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Fan approval rating right now on RT stands at 82%, average 4.2/5.

Now granted, every movie has a gradual decline on the fan rating so almost positive it won't stay there, but it would take a massive drop to get to rotten rating in the fans' minds.

Bry
03-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Fan approval rating right now on RT stands at 82%, average 4.2/5.

Now granted, every movie has a gradual decline on the fan rating so almost positive it won't stay there, but it would take a massive drop to get to rotten rating in the fans' minds.

Again though, the movie's not officially released yet, so a lot of that's coming from people who got into advance screenings. That comes with increased excitement (and bias), and pre-release audience reactions are almost always overwhelmingly positive. We'll have a better idea of the audience consensus in 2 or 3 weeks.

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 09:46 PM
I just can't believe DC allowed this to happen. Everything was riding on this film.

Man, I'm glad I'm not a huge DC fan like other people, because I can see them being absolutely devastated.

NinjaPug
03-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Probably because WB calls the shots.

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 10:04 PM
Its funny, us TMNT fans are getting a bad movie this year but we can just wave it off because it doesn't matter. TMNT is highly successful in the IDW comic and Nick cartoon.

DC fans only have the comics currently, and the New 52 is a mess and failed.

Galactus
03-23-2016, 10:31 PM
I wonder why Zack Synder is not getting much backlash compared to other directors who bomb popular franchises. Just look at what the backlash to Fantastic Four and Green Lantern did.

Probably because few people have seen it. As people have said we'll get a better idea of how much of a "bomb" this is in a few weeks. I'm also going to go out on a limb that's much better than Trank's F4 by a significant margin.

Its funny, us TMNT fans are getting a bad movie this year but we can just wave it off because it doesn't matter. TMNT is highly successful in the IDW comic and Nick cartoon.

DC fans only have the comics currently, and the New 52 is a mess and failed.

I disagree. I think a lot rides on the movies. Even with the best intentions the animated series isn't going to last forever and Nickelodeon is known for mothballing franchises. Unless the sequel performs a lot better I think we'll get one more in time for the series to wrap up and questions are asked of whether they should bother to keep the comic going.

Besides people are always going to respect Batman and give Superman a try. If TMNT is to ever progress it needs to start making movies that are genuinely good. At this point it doesn't seem like a big deal if the movies aren't good because few people expect them to be but what happens when they've played all the nostalgia cards and people realize there's nothing else of interest there?

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 11:03 PM
Honestly 3 Michael Bay TMNT movies is enough. I would hope to god the third one is the last one and that version of TMNT dies.

Besides, by the time the third movie comes out the Nick cartoon will be in its 7th season or so...so it'll have had a good run if that turns out to be the end.

Jephael
03-23-2016, 11:17 PM
DC fans only have the comics currently.

http://orig12.deviantart.net/e2dd/f/2016/019/d/4/the_flash_and_supergirl_tv_poster_v2_by_timetravel 6000v2-d9ohtjv.jpg

Krutch
03-23-2016, 11:35 PM
I'm seeing this tomorrow night. I'll give my two cents once I've seen it.

Until then, here's something to brighten everyones mood whose been optimistic about this movie. I made a list of some other superhero movies that its still beating on Rottentomatoes. There's still hope that it will stand proudly above these other entrants...

Fantastic Four (2015) - 9%
Fantastic Four (2005) - 27%
Fantastic Four (1994) - 29%
Ghost Rider - 26%
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - 17% (also written by David S Goyer)
The Spirit - 14%
Jonah Hex - 12%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - 21%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - 21%
Spawn - 19%
Supergirl - 7%
Elektra - 10%
X-Men Origins - Wolverine - 38%
Blade: Trinity - 25%
Steel - 12%
Blankman - 13%
Green Lantern - 26%
Catwoman - 9%
Captain America (1990) - 9%
Batman & Robin - 11%
Kick Ass 2 - 30%
The Punisher (1989) - 28%
The Punisher (2004) - 29%
Punisher: War Zone - 27%
Superhero Movie - 17%

CyberCubed
03-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - 21%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - 21%

Man, TMNT III deserves better.

Krutch
03-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Yup. Agreed.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 12:10 AM
Now, with the reviews so low, the next news cycle will inevitably be the amazing B.O. it generates opening weekend, followed by staunch defenders of the film, playing all the hits:

"Clearly, you're not a true fan of DC"

"Superman sucks anyway, I went for Batman"

"This is just part of the story!!! It's setting up Justice League!"

"Obviously a Marvel fanboy."

"What do critics know, they don't read comics."

Reminds me of a certain Bingo Card...

Andrew NDB
03-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Zack Snyder's worst movie on his worst day is still far better and more of a film than anything found in the first Bay-produced TMNT "film" or anything we've seen of part 2.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 12:20 AM
I'd say, they're on Par. MOS and PDMT. Equal parts trash. Even Suckerpunch was mildly better than MOS, if we're being honest.

Krutch
03-24-2016, 12:26 AM
I'd put PDTMNT over MOS, to be frank. Look, I know TMNT means a lot to us, but to the cultural zeitgeist they will always be goofy entertainment at best, and I get that. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But Superman stands for something. And MOS actively sought to destroy that.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Where is that video!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Krutch
03-24-2016, 12:49 AM
It's a work in progress, but I'll finish it. Eventually. I promise :D I'd say I'm about 30 percent finished. I don't want to treat it like its work.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 01:02 AM
LOL! no nonononono...do it for the love...

Just excited :)

Galactus
03-24-2016, 01:19 AM
Zack Snyder's worst movie on his worst day is still far better and more of a film than anything found in the first Bay-produced TMNT "film" or anything we've seen of part 2.

Is it bad that knowing the only comics he read as a kid was the Mirage TMNT means I'd be fine with handing him copies of Return to New York and letting him go?

Look, I know TMNT means a lot to us, but to the cultural zeitgeist they will always be goofy entertainment at best, and I get that. And there's nothing wrong with that.

That implies that the public would reject a TMNT movie that endeavored to be more than just goofy fun and I think that's just plain untrue and we've got a whole slew of comic properties once thought as little more than goofy fun being taken with varying degrees of depth and being hugely successful.

There's nothing wrong with the goofy fun mentality in principal but I think with movie 3 we've got a bit of a problem. You'd think they might have just teased Krang and save him for another sequel but he's a major part of Out of the Shadows. They've used all their nostalgia/goofy trump cards in Out of the Shadows. What have they got to follow that? Leatherhead? Rat King? Baxter-fly? I don't think any other characters carry anywhere near the nostalgia pull of the Fred Wolf cast. Now if these movies were genuinely well made it wouldn't matter as the audience would still go on the good faith they'd have built just like most of the general audience go to Marvel movies despite being unfamiliar with the characters.

Like I said we've got one more movie before the movie series is mothballed for a very long time. That's what turning their noses up at anything more than goofy fun will get them.

But Superman stands for something. And MOS actively sought to destroy that.

Superman stands for whatever the writers make him stand for.

It's not like when Siegel and Shuster created the character he was a bright light paragon of virtue or had any of the Jesus or Moses metaphors, that was all added later. Now you can do great work with those aspects but I tend to think that the constant deconstruction of the character and trying to figure out what Superman means will often lead to you messing up what he means to some people but more importantly get in the way of telling a good Superman story.

Krutch
03-24-2016, 02:04 AM
That implies that the public would reject a TMNT movie that endeavored to be more than just goofy fun and I think that's just plain untrue and we've got a whole slew of comic properties once thought as little more than goofy fun being taken with varying degrees of depth and being hugely successful.

Superman stands for whatever the writers make him stand for. It's not like when Siegel and Shuster created the character he was a bright light paragon of virtue or had any of the Jesus or Moses metaphors, that was all added later.

I think you misunderstand me.

The public would absolutely welcome a serious TMNT film if it were made. People want good movies regardless of where they come from. I'm not saying TMNT doesn't need or deserve that kind of treatment. I obviously hope to see the day that happens, actually. What I'm getting at is what the franchise actually represents outside itself is completely different than what Superman represents.

Superman was born in the 1930s during the depression. Humanity's desire to hope for a better tomorrow is what birthed the character. He acted as a symbol of hope at a time when people desperately needed it. Was that the intention of the character at the moment of inception? Probably not. Siegel and Shuster were likely just hoping to make a buck. But regardless, that's what people projected on the character, and that's what makes him culturally significant. He's light at the end of the tunnel. He's who we can aspire to be even at our worst times.

The closest thing TMNT did in those terms is cause a resurgence in indie comics and have a bit of a rags to riches story in terms of two guys just getting together, making each other laugh with silly drawings, and wake up a few months later millionaires. It's a nice reassuring dream that anythings possible. But most people don't know Eastman and Laird's story and it doesn't even really hold much relevance to the world as a whole or the times it came from. Sorry, that's just facts. I love the TMNT, but there's a reason they'll never be as revered as Superman is.

Galactus
03-24-2016, 02:42 AM
Superman was born in the 1930s during the depression. Humanity's desire to hope for a better tomorrow is what birthed the character. He acted as a symbol of hope at a time when people desperately needed it. Was that the intention of the character at the moment of inception? Probably not. Siegel and Shuster were likely just hoping to make a buck. But regardless, that's what people projected on the character, and that's what makes him culturally significant. He's light at the end of the tunnel. He's who we can aspire to be even at our worst times.

Well that certainly wasn't what Superman was when created as. He was a socialist crusader fighting back at the corrupt sometimes with lethal force rather than acting like something to aspire to. Even as his rougher edges were sanded off he was still more of a reactionary character and that was his most successful period.

Sure people have projected values onto the character that weren't originally part of his makeup and the character did legitimately become that for a long time but in the modern era it can easily work to the character's detriment.

Sorry, that's just facts. I love the TMNT, but there's a reason they'll never be as revered as Superman is.

I didn't say they could be and even if they were it wouldn't be for the same reasons as Superman has been. Emphasis on the past tense.

Superman is like Mickey Mouse now. Everyone knows him but I don't think he's actually revered or that people in general care too much about him.

He's been eclipsed by Batman, Spider-Man and even Iron Man. What Superman stands for in many peoples eyes is a bland mascot of a company and as a reaction most writers try and deconstruct the character to prove these things can be interesting in modern context. Superman's a savior but people may not accept that, Superman's a boy scout so we'll put him in a situation were he has to kill and see how he deals with it, he's unique so let's make him feel isolated. Nothing in Man of Steel is anything that hasn't been in Superman comics in any era and it's not a bad idea to explore these themes but it might have been better to just be underlying themes in an entertaining movie as opposed to be a great dissection of the character few people care about anymore. I think that would have been a better way to make people care again.

sdp
03-24-2016, 04:06 AM
Just got back from the movie and I thought the movie was pretty good. Everyone should definitely watch it before judging it by the RT score now that the movie is out. I definitely understand why it has such a low score, its going to be a very divisive film for years to come. The movie has plenty of flaws which are going to be nitpicked to death but it has plenty of stuff to redeem itself. I'll go ahead and post my thoughts with a spoiler tag just in case but there are no real spoilers in there so if you want to be spoiler free you can still click on it I won't spoil anything but beware around the internet since there is indeed a big spoiler that I'm sure will be everywhere and its going to be hard to avoid.

The movie is going to turn off the casual fan, it is not an easy to follow film like Marvel movies are. People who didn't see Man of Steel are going to be lost and people who don't know the DC Universe in general are also going to be lost in a few parts as well. This movie doesn't introduce you very well to the DCU, it just kind of puts you in it so if you're not quite familiar with a few things from DC you might get confused but I'm guessing that's no one here.

If you didn't like MOS then you are not going to like Superman since he's portrayed the same, however if you liked Nolan's Batman trilogy you'll definitely like Batman since it very well feels like a sequel to those movies. The movie's mood is definitely dark throughout, jokes are extremely rare but at least the few that are in get you to laugh. I kind of wish they had shown more of the extremes between Superman being the light and Batman the dark but oh well, missed opportunity there.

The reason for the fight is a bit silly but it was done this way so it could segway to the final act nicely which it does but sadly that also means the actual fight the movie is named after is not very long at all. On the plus side the final act does redeem it. Wonder Woman is indeed just kind of there for no good reason but as much as I didn't care about seeing her in the movie I ended up enjoying all of her scenes. The Batman scenes were great and so were the fights it really felt like a Justice League film.

Another reason people won't like the movie is that it is convoluted but not for the reasons most people speculated about, for example it's also not because we're being introduced to so many characters that wasn't a problem, even the cameos of Aquaman and the others are done in a non-intrusive world building way. The plot just has a lot of things going on and the status quo of the story is changes a lot through out the movie. This worked for me since its really no different than say the superhero tv shows we have on now but in a movie instead of the story changing throughout the season.

I do have to mention a few Spoilery things so here is another spoiler tag but this one is full on spoilers:0

I can't talk about Lex Luthor without mentioning Spoilers. I really liked him in the movie however with him it feels like we're missing a movie between MOS and BVS. We never know why he hates Superman or how he found out what his secret identity was or Batman's for that manner. Kidnapping Martha Kent was so cheap and out there, they could've had Superman fight with Batman for another reason and I can only let it go since it transitions the fight to the final act nicely. None of those things are explained and then the ending with him foreshadowing what I'm guessing is Darkseid makes even less sense and was so stupid. It's a shame because I really liked this interpretation of Luthor but they mess it up because we have no idea of why anything he is setting up is happening, we never know the endgame. Now that I think about it it reminds me of "The Light" from Young Justice. And that's what I meant with convoluted, a few things that happen which are mostly done by Luthor are hard to follow or at least I think it will be for a casual audience who isn't familiar with the DC Universe.

Now for the other Big Spoiler, they indeed followed the Death of Superman storyline with Doomsday killing Superman. I Can't believe this didn't leak everywhere or that they actually killed him in his second movie not to mention the movie that begins the DC Cinematic Universe. I thought it was very well done and I'm super happy to have seen this on film. I do think BvS could've been a movie about just BvS and the death of superman his own movie as well but Doomsday is totally redeemed by killing Superman here, never saw that coming.

So yeah, overall the movie has a few problems in the story so if you're expecting a deep story you'll be disappointed but it gets the job done and overall if you want to see a cool superhero movie with awesome stuff happening you won't be disappointed.

ZariusTwo
03-24-2016, 05:22 AM
So yeah, overall the movie has a few problems in the story so if you're expecting a deep story

S*it. I wanted a deep story.

Bry
03-24-2016, 06:05 AM

Well that certainly wasn't what Superman was when created as. He was a socialist crusader fighting back at the corrupt sometimes with lethal force rather than acting like something to aspire to. Even as his rougher edges were sanded off he was still more of a reactionary character and that was his most successful period.

So... he was a beacon of hope for the oppressed and downtrodden at a time when the world was on the brink of war, the economy was in the toilet, and the people were frustrated by the corrupt officials and elites keeping them down? Gee, too bad none of that's relevant anymore. :trazz:

But yeah -- that just draws a big fat line under what a great Superman could have, and should have, been in today's world. And I think the character could be hugely relevant and effective again if they'd tap into that in a smart way. Having Superman be heroic, principled, and optimistic at a time when it's hard to be any of those things makes the character stronger. Snyder did the opposite, making him brutal and weirdly aloof, giving in to the troubles of the world instead of rising above them. IMO, that's a completely wrong angle. Superman should help lift us up in troubled times. IMO, going for the "deconstructionist" angle was the absolute wrong move at this moment in time.

So yeah, overall the movie has a few problems in the story so if you're expecting a deep story you'll be disappointed but it gets the job done and overall if you want to see a cool superhero movie with awesome stuff happening you won't be disappointed.

Well, personally... in a market where there's "a cool superhero movie with awesome stuff happening" released every handful of months, and if many or most of them have better stories and are getting better word-of-mouth than this one, that's a less compelling argument.

Sumac
03-24-2016, 06:31 AM
sdp's review is well aligned with what critics said: that it is a more of a prequel to the Justice League, rather than movie of its own and that plot is rather incoherent at times.

What I don't like the most about this, is that some filmmakers still can't get simple idea in their heads, that when you introduce fictional universe with established characters and other stuff, you should make it understandable for people who don't know nothing about its source.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-24-2016, 07:32 AM
I know Reddit is the worst source for just about anything, but this I think is interesting (https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4bq3y1/fake_or_purchased_imdb_accounts_are_rating_batman/).

Feeling a little pressure there, WB? I'm sure companies do this stuff all the time, but it's interesting that Warner needs to do this to boost ratings for what they've hyped up to be the biggest, smartest, deepest superhero film ever.

Shred Head
03-24-2016, 07:52 AM
I know Reddit is the worst source for just about anything, but this I think is interesting (https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4bq3y1/fake_or_purchased_imdb_accounts_are_rating_batman/).

Feeling a little pressure there, WB? I'm sure companies do this stuff all the time, but it's interesting that Warner needs to do this to boost ratings for what they've hyped up to be the biggest, smartest, deepest superhero film ever.

Considering some of these are the reviews it would not shock me

"A constellation of stars together in one film. 10/10"
"In the future they will talk about Batman v Superman debut as a historic day. 10/10"

A constellation of stars who the **** would write a review like that.

TurtleTitan97
03-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Considering some of these are the reviews it would not shock me

"In the future they will talk about Batman v Superman debut as a historic day. 10/10"

Not gonna lie those reviews had me busting out laughing. :lol:

Amaranthus
03-24-2016, 07:57 AM
I hate it when people get blown away by their first viewing of a movie and call it the best movie ever.
Makes me cringe.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-24-2016, 08:00 AM
I hate it when people get blown away by their first viewing of a movie and call it the best movie ever.

That's what I did with The Winter Soldier, except my mind is still being blown by it :teek:

Amaranthus
03-24-2016, 08:03 AM
That's what I did with The Winter Soldier, except my mind is still being blown by it :teek:

As long as you're not one of those people who call it a paranoia thriller.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-24-2016, 08:06 AM
As long as you're not one of those people who call it a paranoia thriller.

It kind of is though. Have you seen it?

It's an 11/10 film. Great writing, great acting, excellent music, smart editing...

Amaranthus
03-24-2016, 08:17 AM
It kind of is though. Have you seen it?

SinCast disagrees with you.
I haven't seen it though. You need to keep up with the MCU as a whole and I don't have the motivation or urge to do so.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-24-2016, 08:19 AM
SinCast disagrees with you.

The CinemaSins guys? They're funny nitpickers at best, morons at worst.

Anyway, change of subject - has anyone else listened to the score for this yet? I think it's Zimmer at his worst. :cry:

Amaranthus
03-24-2016, 08:20 AM

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!
I even updated my post to be nicer.
Christ, man!
WOAH!

NinjaPug
03-24-2016, 08:26 AM

Anyway, change of subject - has anyone else listened to the score for this yet? I think it's Zimmer at his worst. :cry:

I have and was really disappointed with it. It's the Zimmer sequels curse. He always recycles too much and never really builds on what has come before. Too much MoS score (which I love) recycled in this. The Batman theme was a letdown for me too although I do really like WW's theme.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-24-2016, 08:34 AM
So much of it feels like sound design and experimental stuff. 'Must There Be a Superman?' for instance is just a horrible, horrible track.

Wonder Woman's theme is amazing. I bet Junkie had a hand in it. Junkie officially was brought in just to work on the Batman theme, but he and Hans are so fond of each other that I imagine they worked together through the whole thing.

A huge Zimmer fan - I think he even works at Remote Control Productions - had this to say:

Saw the film this morning (which is good but not fantastic. It has really great stuff buried by some lame stuff, all this added to a weird editing/pace).

As for the score, there's as expected a lot of music left out, like many reprises of Superman's piano theme, but there's nothing AMAZING missing from the OST. No Escape from Ship this time. Not even a Zod Disbands Council or Smallville Duel... Sorry... lol Oh well I think I noticed a cool one... Overall as in the OST the Bat

So even the biggest Zimmer fan I know of can't think of anything outstanding that wasn't on the OST... which means to me it's overall a pretty weak score.

Hybrid also says that "...I first though Affleck's Batman would be closer to Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, but it's instead very close to Bruce Timm's Batman Animated series..."

Lol, Batfleck isn't even close to Bruce Timm's character if the spoilers I've read are at all true.

THGhost
03-24-2016, 09:55 AM

Cubed where'd you get your info?

I'd like to know this as well.

ZariusTwo
03-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Here's what Marv Wolfman (the man behind the definitive Teen Titans group and Crisis) said about the movie

If you've seen any of the trailers nothing I say here will reveal anything. If you haven't seen the trailers, I probably still haven't said anything revealing but I suggest you move on anyway. First off, I really liked the movie a lot. For those who think I'm saying this because I work at DC, if I didn't really like it I wouldn't have posted anything despite having two of my characters appear in it. So please know my view is real and honest.

I thought Ben Affleck was great as both Bruce Wayne and Batman, but I never doubted he would be. I've liked his work for years. He's a solid actor and director and writer and he brings gravitas to the role. I refuse to play the game of is he better or worse than Christian Bale. They're playing very different versions of the character and both are great.

The action scenes with Batman are the best I've seen in any Batman movie. In comics, Batman is an acrobat and despite lugging a cape that's two miles long, he moves like nobody's business, but that has always been pretty impossible to show on screen; the uniform itself prevented that so fights were done with extremely well done cuts and edits. Heck, some of the actors said they even had problems turning their heads in the costumes. But Snyder knows how to play with live action and CG and everything else and Batman moved the way he should. The action is stunning.

Superman is different from the comics, more troubled and alienated (no pun intended) than the comic but I think it works based on what the events in the last film. Since I feel Batman, especially an older Batman as he's portrayed here has probably cemented his world view you can understand why his concern about Superman is real to him. And Superman, based on how the people of Metropolis and the world reacted to the events of the last film would obviously be more cautious in his life, even willing to chuck some of it away. For Superman the road to hell is paved with good intentions and now, based on the events of the last movie, he's not only being cautious but distant. Very different from the comic but I can accept that if one accepts his becoming Superman as an adult and immediately and without time to train, finding himself the center of an interplanetary man hunt.

Wonder Woman got the biggest cheer in the audience. Can't say too much but I thought she was handled really well.

By the way, here's a complaint. When Ben Affleck was first announced as Batman fans immediately attacked the choice (as they had Michael Keaton). Now many of the same fans are saying he's the best Batman/Bruce Wayne ever. If Gal Gidot was hired to play Wonder Woman fans complained she was too thin or too wrong to play the Amazon. Now everyone's saying she's the high point of the movie. Why don't people wait to actually see something before deciding it can't possibly work?

Yes, I loved the appearances of Aquaman, Flash and especially Cyborg. Again, everyone thought this would crowd the movie with unnecessary characters. In fact they appear logically out of the plot and work perfectly. I'll say no more. But yay Cyborg.

Finally, Luthor. we've seen so many Luthors over the years (my favorite being Smallville's interpretation) that I would have previously said not to use him at all, but I think they found a different approach. If you've seen any trailer you've seen the interpretation. His insanity is either tempered by his genius, or his genius has been affected by his insanity, but he's an original here and since there have been a million different interpretations of Luthor (and may I remind folk that the businessman version was my proposal so I actually have a real personal viewpoint here) I don't think we can say "This" is Luthor or "That" is Luthor. All I can say is this worked for me and I liked that I hadn't seen this character before. He felt new and different in a way that worked.

I know there are people who love the film and there are already those who don't. But I really, really liked it. I hope I can take Noel to see it this weekend or next if we can get into a local IMax screening. I do hope I was able to give my opinions without accidentally giving away any spoilers. Check it out and enjoy.

Bry
03-24-2016, 10:30 AM

"In the future they will talk about Batman v Superman debut as a historic day. 10/10

https://media1.giphy.com/media/1Tdb61mTs4eoU/200w.gif

It's getting easier and easier to actively root against this movie.

ProactiveMan
03-24-2016, 11:13 AM
It's alright. I have to ponder it some more, but I didn't think it was very good. It had its moments though.

For all the sh*t they got for casting Gal Gadot, I thought she was great. She had a kind of worldly mannerism, like an old pro who's seen it all. I liked that Batfleck wasn't a total emotional cripple like some Batmans we've seen. Dunno what Cavill was doing, but it wasn't brilliant, and Evil Mark Zuckerberg was a bit embarrassing at times. Laurence Fishburne was hell good.

This movie is going to be lambasted like nobody's business, and I don't think it really deserves it. Good or bad, I think it was made in earnest, and its a little sad that it's just more fodder for the legions of near-talentless jackals on YouTube and pop-media. Smarmy parasites. (No offense if that's you - some of my best friends are smarmy parasites.)

Galactus
03-24-2016, 11:19 AM
So... he was a beacon of hope for the oppressed and downtrodden at a time when the world was on the brink of war, the economy was in the toilet, and the people were frustrated by the corrupt officials and elites keeping them down? Gee, too bad none of that's relevant anymore. :trazz:

Y'know Superman was regarded by the public as an urban myth in those early stories, right? It's hard to be a beacon of hope to a people who don't believe you exist.

So you'd want the social crusader Superman fighting the man? I mean that would be an interesting take (and true to the character) but it's not the definitive version of Superman as a big blue boy scout which is as much a problem.

But yeah -- that just draws a big fat line under what a great Superman could have, and should have, been in today's world. And I think the character could be hugely relevant and effective again if they'd tap into that in a smart way. Having Superman be heroic, principled, and optimistic at a time when it's hard to be any of those things makes the character stronger. Snyder did the opposite, making him brutal and weirdly aloof, giving in to the troubles of the world instead of rising above them. IMO, that's a completely wrong angle. Superman should help lift us up in troubled times. IMO, going for the "deconstructionist" angle was the absolute wrong move at this moment in time.

See we've already got a pretty damn good presentation of Superman as a character in cinema right now; he's called Steve Rogers aka Captain America. In terms of character that very much along the lines of what Clark Kent/Superman should be.

You could make a movie where you really break down what it means to be Captain America and how he would act in more extreme circumstances I suspect Civil War will attempt this to some degree but it works because the previous movie set up who Steve Rogers was by simply letting him be.

The major problem is that Superman is regarded by many as an icon above such simple approaches. When you start using the phrases like "beacon of hope" or "stands for something more" that's when film makers decide that they have to constantly define what it means to be Superman which means you get ultra earnest approach that Singer tried were he doesn't even punch anyone or Snyder's approach were we examine who Superman is when in a darker world. It's not like either is wrong, in fact the latter took it's character beats from some very popular Superman stories but in terms of getting the audience to warm to him it doesn't seem to work.

Simply letting the character be a character rather than the the constant presentation of him being above reproach or constantly asking how would an ultra powerful alien that's kinda like Jesus really feel is the way.

Sumac
03-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Meanwhile, Zach Snyder provides his explanation for why his Batman they way he is in the movie:
I tried to do it in a technical way. There’s a great YouTube video that shows all the kills in the Christopher Nolan movies even though we would perceive them as movies where he doesn’t kill anyone. I think there’s 42 potential kills that Batman does! Also, it goes back and includes even the Tim Burton Batman movies where this reputation as a guy that doesn’t kill comes from.

So, I tried to do it by proxy. Shoot the car they’re in, the car blows up or the grenade would go off in the guy’s hand, or when he shoots the tank and the guy pretty much lights the tank [himself]. I perceive it as him not killing directly, but if the bad guy’s are associated with a thing that happens to blow up, he would say that that’s not really my problem.

A little more like manslaughter than murder, although I would say that in the Frank Miller comic book that I reference, he kills all the time. There’s a scene from the graphic novel where he busts through a wall, takes the guy’s machine gun…I took that little vignette from a scene in The Dark Knight Returns, and at the end of that, he shoots the guy right between the eyes with the machine gun. One shot. Of course, I went to the gas tank, and all of the guys I work with were like, ‘You’ve gotta shoot him in the head’ because they’re all comic book dorks, and I was like, ‘I’m not gonna be the guy that does that!’
Source (http://heroichollywood.com/zack-snyder-explains-batmans-methods-bvs/)

I...what...why...?

Candy Kappa
03-24-2016, 11:31 AM
The hell kind of Dark Knight Returns did he read?

Or have I mentally denied that Bats execute a guy? :lol:

ProactiveMan
03-24-2016, 11:36 AM
I think the no killing thing is a holdover from the Comics Code Authority days. I prefer it that way too, but I'm not sure why it is such a deal breaker for so many people.

sdp
03-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Well, personally... in a market where there's "a cool superhero movie with awesome stuff happening" released every handful of months, and if many or most of them have better stories and are getting better word-of-mouth than this one, that's a less compelling argument.

That's a good point but there really isn't another superhero movie that is doing what BvS did. So unless DC keeps making the same mistakes and the newness wears off it isn't a problem now.

I'm sure companies do this stuff all the time, but it's interesting that Warner needs to do this to boost ratings for what they've hyped up to be the biggest, smartest, deepest superhero film ever.
Companies have done this in the past and will continue. Also those ratings are usually filled by super fanboys so I never really take those into account. I do think the movie will be huge though, and by that I mean bigger than any other Marvel movie this year.

Meanwhile, Zach Snyder provides his explanation for why his Batman they way he is in the movie:

Source (http://heroichollywood.com/zack-snyder-explains-batmans-methods-bvs/)

I...what...why...?

He has a point though. It didn't bother me in the movie because he really doesn't act any different than Batman has in previous films. I still hate that they do it but every movie has done it.
I think the no killing thing is a holdover from the Comics Code Authority days. I prefer it that way too, but I'm not sure why it is such a deal breaker for so many people.

Maybe because I grew up with it that way but to me its very important that Batman doesn't kill. it just goes against who he is and that's what "crossing the line" is. Same reason why he doesn't use guns. It's a big no-no for me. Same with Superman, I expect him to do the right thing no matter what. That's why I liked the ending of MOS, you could tell he didn't want to do it but he did. I'm a little bit more lenient with Superman than Bats because we've seen him kill plenty of sentient "monsters" before because there was no other option. Other superheroes I don't mind if they kill, I mean I wouldn't expect Spider-Man or another hero to kill their enemies but they would do it to save other people and that's fine for them but not Batman.

Candy Kappa
03-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Batman's no-kill rule and no-guns happened very early on like within the first year of publication.

TurtleTitan97
03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
The hell kind of Dark Knight Returns did he read?

Or have I mentally denied that Bats execute a guy? :lol:

I remember one scene in which he killed a member of the Mutants, but only cause she was threatening a child.

But other than that DKR Batman used non-lethal means to dispatch most of his enemies.

Chris
03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Maybe because I grew up with it that way but to me its very important that Batman doesn't kill. it just goes against who he is and that's what "crossing the line" is. Same reason why he doesn't use guns. It's a big no-no for me. Same with Superman, I expect him to do the right thing no matter what. That's why I liked the ending of MOS, you could tell he didn't want to do it but he did. I'm a little bit more lenient with Superman than Bats because we've seen him kill plenty of sentient "monsters" before because there was no other option. Other superheroes I don't mind if they kill, I mean I wouldn't expect Spider-Man or another hero to kill their enemies but they would do it to save other people and that's fine for them but not Batman.

I'm the same but I'm more lenient on Batman than Superman. Batman's just a man at the end of the day but for Superman the only exception should be Doomsday.

sdp
03-24-2016, 12:43 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xThuWaO91WQLrtQKbe/giphy.gif

I hope any negativity in this thread from now on will only be from people who already saw the film. It's out there no reason to crap on the film if you haven't watched it. And for those who want to see an awkward interview where they are being asked what they think of the bad scores:
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/141606956421/henry-cavill-fan-response-to-batman-v-superman-is

And some more final spoiler filled thoughts I forgot to mention:
The whole ending scene is so stupid. Luthor acting all crazy about the "invaders" in jail and Batman telling Wonder Woman "We need to get the other metahumans because I have a feeling something will happen" is all so stupid and out of the blue.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Y'know Superman was regarded by the public as an urban myth in those early stories, right? It's hard to be a beacon of hope to a people who don't believe you exist.

So you'd want the social crusader Superman fighting the man? I mean that would be an interesting take (and true to the character) but it's not the definitive version of Superman as a big blue boy scout which is as much a problem.

These ideas are not mutually exclusive. Only in Frank Millers World and Red Son did he have a more dictatorial characterization, perhaps a bit in Birthright.

See we've already got a pretty damn good presentation of Superman as a character in cinema right now; he's called Steve Rogers aka Captain America. In terms of character that very much along the lines of what Clark Kent/Superman should be.

Except Superman should have a little more wit, and a little more confidence.
But the characterizations are naturally similar, sure.

Simply letting the character be a character rather than the the constant presentation of him being above reproach or constantly asking how would an ultra powerful alien that's kinda like Jesus really feel is the way.

Religious symbolism has no place in any Superman film; Moses, maybe a little, if you really want to go there, but he's really his own character. There are numerous martyr's/ orphaned heroes in comics; resorting to Jesus is just lazy symbolism.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 03:34 PM
This Batman is the true Batman.

aBJyp2LFHgk

ZariusTwo
03-24-2016, 03:37 PM
And they acknowledge Batman Forever/Batman and Robin!:)

Afflek working on solo Batflick with Geoff Johns (watch out for Andrew)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/ben-affleck-all-but-confirms-rumors-that-hes-writing-a-solo-batman-film-a132536

Shark_Blade
03-24-2016, 04:46 PM
Judging from rottentomatoes, the "professional" reviewers hated it, giving it 33% but the moviegoers gave it a 88% fresh.

Good
- Wonder Woman. Wow oh wow, she's a scene stealer. I didn't even know who she was when she's in normal human clothes on. But then Bruce shot an email to her with her battle outfit on. Absolutely love her.
- Superman killing the villain, again. Fanboys gonna cry how "oh noes Supes can't kill",but I love it. Enough of the naive boyscout routine, let Supermanget rid of the grim problem permanently. And he did, and I love it.

Bad
- Luthor. Whenever he speaks I imagined wanting to punch his face. His character is so grating and annoying. He's like Irving from Resident Evil 5, but more obnoxious. He's not even intimidating, such a disappointment.
- I kinda agree, the movie isn't as deep/complex as The Dark Knight. But I still enjoy it albeit a bit weak.
- The ending should've been much shorter to deliver the impact of Superman's death. They keep prolonging and milking it, for example Superman's mom giving Lois a ring from Clark. It's like "oh if he didn't die, he would've proposed to you, dear". Ugh, so corny.

7.5/10

Candy Kappa
03-24-2016, 05:03 PM
I remember one scene in which he killed a member of the Mutants, but only cause she was threatening a child.

But other than that DKR Batman used non-lethal means to dispatch most of his enemies.

I don't think Batman killed Grace (female mutant member), we don't see any actual wounds, especially no headshot wounds. And it would be completely jarring against Batman's no-kill rule throughout the whole book, especially when he can't finish off Joker, but only cripples him.

So he either did a intimidation shot and only hit the wall, scaring Grace to submission and the blood on the wall was Spot's blood after being riddled by bullets by the third Mutant member, or its Grace's blood after a non-lethal single shot.

TurtleTitan97
03-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Enough of the naive boyscout routine, let Supermanget rid of the grim problem permanently. And he did, and I love it.

No offense, but have you actually picked up a Superman comic, like, ever?

There's more to his character than just the "Boy Scout" label he's been given.

I don't think Batman killed Grace (female mutant member), we don't see any actual wounds, especially no headshot wounds. And it would be completely jarring against Batman's no-kill rule throughout the whole book, especially when he can't finish off Joker, but only cripples him.

So he either did a intimidation shot and only hit the wall, scaring Grace to submission and the blood on the wall was Spot's blood after being riddled by bullets by the third Mutant member, or its Grace's blood after a non-lethal single shot.

Huh, never thought of it like that before.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Sharkblade is a perma-troll wannabe. All it's posts are pointlessly contrary.

They released new photos of WW today. I'm not a fan of the orange/teal color, but I'm more and more interested in what they do with her.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/8461545-menalippe-diana-hippolyta-antiope-6b101.jpg

turtlefanforever
03-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Seeing this sunday. Not really hyped for it. But that'll likely make me enjoy it more.

But the 2nd trailer really f'd it up for me. All but coming and saying "ahh omg we have a commom enemy. We must be friends now and team up and never fight again."

Shark_Blade
03-24-2016, 07:23 PM
No offense, but have you actually picked up a Superman comic, like, ever?

There's more to his character than just the "Boy Scout" label he's been given.

Huh, never thought of it like that before.Yes of course, I have loads. My favorite being Superman Earth One.

Sharkblade is a perma-troll wannabe. All it's posts are pointlessly contrary.

A sad retard like you will always call other people with different opinions as troll. Don't stray too far from your basement cage. :tcool: You are worth nothing to anyone.

NinjaPug
03-24-2016, 08:01 PM
I didn't hate it but that was not a good movie. Very disappointing to have these characters with a ton of money behind it turn into that.

Time to get Snyder away from the franchise.

MoS was a much better movie. This was so disjointed and I'm still trying to figure out character motivations.

chrisdude
03-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Big ol' pile of meh. If anything's great about it, it's the cast. The movie tries way to hard to be two or three movies in one. Mess is the word.

TigerClaw
03-24-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm gonna see it tomorrow afternoon.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 08:21 PM
A sad retard like you will always call other people with different opinions as troll. Don't stray too far from your basement cage. :tcool: You are worth nothing to anyone.

Keep it up. That Ban's coming quick fool.

Spike Spiegel
03-24-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm headed to see this tomorrow--

I've got one of those "Movie Cash" vouchers, so it won't cost me more than $2, if that.

NinjaPug
03-24-2016, 08:52 PM
The more I think about this movie the more frustrated I get with it. There are so many things from a story standpoint that just make no sense. They just happen to get the plot from Point A to Point B.

Slade
03-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Honestly, f*ck what y'all say, I loved it.

chrisdude
03-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Honestly, f*ck what y'all say, I loved it.well, that changes everything.

Shark_Blade
03-24-2016, 09:11 PM
Honestly, f*ck what y'all say, I loved it.

What did you love? What did you hate?

Slade
03-24-2016, 09:12 PM
well, that changes everything.

Nah not really. If someone hates it they'll still hate it.

Shark_Blade
03-24-2016, 09:17 PM
Nah not really. If someone hates it they'll still hate it.

What's your opinion on Batman intending to search for other superheroes at the end just because he has "a feeling" lol?

NinjaPug
03-24-2016, 09:25 PM
What's your opinion on Batman intending to search for other superheroes at the end just because he has "a feeling" lol?

His talk with Luthor is what led him to that

LeotheLateBloomer
03-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Seeing it for free tomorrow! ^_^

Shark_Blade
03-24-2016, 09:34 PM
^Enjoy! :DHis talk with Luthor is what led him to thatAh, now that seems like a connected train of thought on Bruce's part.

Don't remember much but he did say like something bad is coming? I must've blanked out every words coming out of Luthor's annoying mouth from my mind. :P

Bry
03-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Seeing it for free tomorrow! ^_^

I'm thankful I saw it for free. :twink:

I can't say I hated it. I didn't like it, either. There were parts of it I genuinely enjoyed, and parts of it I thought were totally awful. It was... kind of a mess? More entertaining than Man of Steel, but kind of equally infuriating in a lot of ways.

Like, I think it absolutely doesn't work as a movie. They tried to cram what probably should have been several movies together, and it just feels overstuffed and disjointed, except they also waste a lot of time on pointless, extraneous stuff that does nothing for the story. Just a bizarre experience. I suppose it is ambitious, but it totally fails at most of what it's trying to do, so... I can't really give it points for that.

As the lynchpin for the entire DC cinematic universe, though? Which is what it was supposed to be? At that, it's a flop.

Commenter 42
03-24-2016, 10:31 PM
Knowing your opinion going in, your reaction is interesting.

From the trailers, if feels as though the performances were stilted, and a little operatic; Cavill in particular, and at times Affleck. Would you say that's true?

shuriken
03-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Man, I'm glad I'm not a huge DC fan like other people, because I can see them being absolutely devastated.

Sure had me fooled.
We'll see what the weekend has in store for BVS

Slade
03-24-2016, 11:51 PM

His talk with Lex plus

I'm not exactly sure who it was, but whoever was telling him it all has to do with Lois kind of made me feel like he could have taken it as a warning about something else besides Superman. I mean yeah, he was all paranoid about Kal, but I looked at it both ways.

Commenter 42
03-25-2016, 01:27 AM
Wow...

cwXfv25xJUw

Krutch
03-25-2016, 03:51 AM
Well... I saw it.

It wasn't a good movie.

It wasn't Man of Steel levels of bad...
...but certainly came close. Multiple times.

Random Thoughts, good and bad

-It's the longest trailer I've ever seen. Amazing Spider-Man 2 was done with more grace in world building, and thats saying something.
-Superman still isn't Superman. That's unfixable at this point due to damage done by Man of Steel, but here his view on humanity is actually worse by the second half of the movie. It's heartbreaking.
-After 2 hours of setup, the big fight between Bats and Supes is one of those things that could have been skipped all together if they talked for 10 seconds first. The fight was also a snore.
-Lois' dialogue was better this time around, but Lois' handling was the same. She can't get out of any jam without Superman's help, apparently.
-Jimmy Olsen was amazing. By far the best part of the movie. How are people not talking about this!?
-Affleck was the bomb, yo.
-Jeremy Irons was great. Kinda wanted more of him.
-Cavil was a lot better in Man of Steel. Not sure what happened between now and then, but he came off really amateur in this flick.
-Wonder Woman stole the show.
-Aquamans cameo was so awkward, slow, and poorly shot. The hell was he even doing?
-The score was tonally all over the place. I thought this would have been one of the high points of the film, but... its just distracting.
-There were a TON of scenes that felt like setup but had no payoff. And I don't mean the scenes that were obviously alluding to future JLA movies.
-So who was the guy in the building that Bruce was talking to at the beginning?
-After Flash warned Bruce that Lois Lane is the key to everything, did he ever follow up on that?
-I suspect the dream sequences were added for two reasons: obvious teasers for JLA movies, and because without them, there'd be no action in the movie for an hour and a half.
-Did that scene with Jonathan and Clark do anything for anybody?
-Jesse Eisenberg made an excellent Riddler.

I have a lot more to say, obviously, but its almost 6am and I should really get some shut eye. In a nutshell, it's still not a good movie, but it deserves to be known as "better than Man of Steel". Take that for what you will.

chrisdude
03-25-2016, 05:41 AM
Forgive me, but, Jimmy Olsen?

NinjaPug
03-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Forgive me, but, Jimmy Olsen?

Jimmy was the guy in Africa with Lois that had the tracker in his camera.

His talk with Lex plus

I'm not exactly sure who it was, but whoever was telling him it all has to do with Lois kind of made me feel like he could have taken it as a warning about something else besides Superman. I mean yeah, he was all paranoid about Kal, but I looked at it both ways.

That was the Flash

Amaranthus
03-25-2016, 05:59 AM
Sorry for the derail, but did Commenter get rid of his avatar or something?

MsMarvelDuckie
03-25-2016, 06:04 AM
Yeesh. Can't say I'm surprised by any of what I'm hearing. Wanted a reason to go see this, but have seen nor heard anything to be impessed or excited by. As much as I've enjoyed past versions of these characters- everything from West to Keaton or Kilmer and Reeve to Cain or Reeves- the trailers did nothing for me and all of what I'm hearing from those who have seen it early just reinforces the first impression of grim-dark "epic" nothingness.