PDA

View Full Version : RIP Johan Cruyff

Klunk1234
03-28-2016, 02:30 PM
He was the captain of the 1974 Netherlands team, Barcelona and Ajax's coach. A great football legend who made football an art, has died from lung cancer at 68 on Thursday, March 24, 2016. :(

Klunk1234
03-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Any Dutch, Barcelona, Ajax or a just football( aka. "Soccer" for the USA) fan? ( regarding the team and nationality). Feel free to post your thoughts.

Prowler
03-29-2016, 01:23 AM
RIP

Quite a team that's being formed in the football heaven right now: Eusébio, Di Stefano, Coluna and now Cruyff.

Klunk1234
03-29-2016, 01:37 PM
RIP

Quite a team that's being formed in the football heaven right now: Eusébio, Di Stefano, Coluna and now Cruyff.

Indeed. All of them are legends. Even Johan never won the World Cup, his Netherlands team will be always remembered as one of the best ever.

Most of the Spain team who won the 2010 team are from the Barcelona Football Club whose coach was Pep Guardiola, one of Johan's pupils back in 1992.

Prowler
03-30-2016, 02:55 AM
Indeed. All of them are legends. Even Johan never won the World Cup, his Netherlands team will be always remembered as one of the best ever.

Most of the Spain team who won the 2010 team are from the Barcelona Football Club whose coach was Pep Guardiola, one of Johan's pupils back in 1992.
Now that you mention it, none of the names I've listed have ever won the WC either. Another legend like that was Puskas, but he already died some years ago. Di Stefano has won a Copa America however. And it's funny how he has played for 3 different national teams. Clearly different times back then.

Isn't Cruyff credited by many as the guy who set the foundations for the tiki-taka system? I was only 1 year old at the time, so I have no idea what the 1992 Barcelona team was really like on the pitch.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-15-2016, 05:11 AM
Now that you mention it, none of the names I've listed have ever won the WC either. Another legend like that was Puskas, but he already died some years ago. Di Stefano has won a Copa America however. And it's funny how he has played for 3 different national teams. Clearly different times back then.

Isn't Cruyff credited by many as the guy who set the foundations for the tiki-taka system? I was only 1 year old at the time, so I have no idea what the 1992 Barcelona team was really like on the pitch.

Here are the final game team lineups

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_European_Cup_Final