PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a custom technodrome?

bdabossanova
03-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Hey all! I am looking as a spring/summer project to create a custom technodrome. I was considering paper mache on a giant yoga ball and cut it down the middle to create a huge multi level playset. Does anyone know if this was tried or if it would work? I'm open to any and all ideas.

Utrommaniac
03-29-2016, 01:02 PM
It would take A LOT of paper machè and a lot more patience, but it might work pretty well.

Powder
03-29-2016, 01:48 PM
No offense, but that seems like an awful idea to me, the medium/ingredients you had in mind, I mean.

bdabossanova
03-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Do you think there's a better idea to make the shell? I want to make one that's bigger that can hold more figures and look closer to their scale. I just felt if you mache it with enough layers to make it thick enough then it could work out.

Utrommaniac
03-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Lots and lots and lots of styrofoam? Like that guy that makes life-sized replicas of massive animals? Granted, it would be more expensive and require a chainsaw at some points

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Aluminum foil as a start. Glue it down, then glue pieces of scrap metal all over it.

But yeah, paper mache would quickly lead to disappointment, I fear.

Powder
03-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure how likely it is you could do the dome at all, really, at least with respect to it being somewhat decent, let alone good or great. Just my 2 cents, but a better idea would be to try & re-create individual rooms from within, such as the one containing Krang's dimensional portal & module ports. With the right stuff, you could do those some serious justice, assuming you know what you're doing.

tmntfannumerouno
03-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Aluminum foil as a start. Glue it down, then glue pieces of scrap metal all over it.

But yeah, paper mache would quickly lead to disappointment, I fear.

I think the paper mache would hold up if done correctly in layers and with the right amount of drying time.

There's a guy on youtube I'll post his name in a bit. He does really great pieces using paper mache.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/user/DanMonsterMan

Monte Williams
03-31-2016, 11:59 AM
I'd make two:

Some interior room sets as suggested above, and a complete, spherical 'Drome for exterior shots. Elsewhere I've recommended adding weathering effects with paint to an inflated exercise ball for the latter.

DarkFell
03-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Perhaps you could give carving foam a try, or buy yourself a big Styrofoam sphere from a craft store, then use a carving saw to cut in half and hollow it out. As for adding in the interior details for your miniature Technodrome model, just add in small pieces of craft foam to form viewing screens, computers, ect.

Using paper mache' for the exterior might be questionable though, but epoxy glueing PVC foam to the exterior of your model might work out well.

Once you finish assembling your Technodrome model, look into experimenting with acrylic paints and find out if they dry well onto the foam, or just use multi-colored craft foam.

VictoryIsMine
03-31-2016, 12:46 PM
I think paper mache could work. Check out how this guy made his life-size BB-8. Also, he uses wood putty, which I have no experience with, but I've seen auto body filler used for these sorts of things as well.
http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=DFblog/blog&id=458

TheCanadiandrome
03-31-2016, 06:19 PM
why not use a combination of paper mache and maybe parts of a Technodrome playset

kwalsh007
04-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Not sure of your skill level but that yoga ball would def work. You could pour liquid resin over one side. Let it dry. Roll to other side, pour again. Repeat that process until you essentially have a shell. Pop yoga ball. Then you can start applying styrene sheets to the shell. Building it up and detailing it. Then you could cut it in sections then start working the interior. It won't be cheap. It won't be fast. But it's totally possible and in my mind I can see it looking amazing.

ThunDerian
05-11-2016, 04:03 AM
I think a Technodrome is very doable :) I guess if I were to attempt this using a yoga ball and paper mache, I would do it like you said; build up a lot of layers for strenght and cut it in half. I would then make all the "Tertris-like" sections of the exterior with polysterol sheets (those white plastic sheets used by modelmakers) That would mean cutting and glueing all the pieces individually, but it would add a lot of strenght to the structure. As for the inside, I would also add polysterol strips to strengthen it further and at least 2 fixed floors/levels per half to make sure the structure will endure. With that all done you could dress it up as much as you want :)

Please dont listen to naysayers, this is a very cool project and as long as you take your time it will work!

Tartaruhga Muhtante
05-14-2016, 06:40 AM
I think it's a good idea . I have also thought about using the balls to do technodrome. For the wheels thought about using a plastic support for gas canister

Mew
05-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Use a big foam ball.