PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with this classic collection movie mikey

strawberryfields
03-30-2016, 08:54 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-1990-MOVIE-2014-MICHELANGELO-CLASSIC-COLLECTION-RARE-AFA-NM-8-0-/191832571719?hash=item2caa1cbf47:g:6LcAAOSw~OVWt5K U

The seller doesn't seem to acknowledge the fact that this turtle has got some weirdness going on. Some kind of fungus layer and bizarre coloring on the belt/pads? Anyone seen anything like this? Could it be a manufacturing error?

Powder
03-30-2016, 09:10 PM
Looks like those "rubber limb" variants, which is to say there seems to be a plastic degredation issue. That's very odd. I've seen it happen to some of the first wave releases from 1988, but never anything modern, let alone that new.

I Like Turtles
03-30-2016, 09:12 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-1990-MOVIE-2014-MICHELANGELO-CLASSIC-COLLECTION-RARE-AFA-NM-8-0-/191832571719?hash=item2caa1cbf47:g:6LcAAOSw~OVWt5K U

The seller doesn't seem to acknowledge the fact that this turtle has got some weirdness going on. Some kind of fungus layer and bizarre coloring on the belt/pads? Anyone seen anything like this? Could it be a manufacturing error?

Its dust...my figures had them. I had to wipe them down with a damp cloth.

Powder
03-30-2016, 09:13 PM
No way, it's sealed. Regular dust would not get into the package like that.

I Like Turtles
03-30-2016, 09:15 PM
No way, it's sealed. Regular dust would not get into the package like that.

My figures had them. Like I said, I wiped them down with a damp cloth and they were fine.

Powder
03-30-2016, 09:18 PM
That's... very strange & probably not good. :tlol:

ProactiveMan
03-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Itís pretty heavy and consistent. If itís dust, Iíd guess that it is still a by-product of some kind of chemical reaction Ė maybe some of the plastic has sweated and dried out or something? Are those AFA things airtight? If so, the figure is probably breaking down at an accelerated rate, because the gasses the plastic gives off over time canít escape.

Weird discolouration aside: $135?! What? I know Ďrareí is eBayís favourite word, but my local TRU is sinking into the ground due to the weight of unsold Movie Michelangeloís. Thatís so mental; I must have missed something.

BMo
03-31-2016, 12:32 AM
Mine had the same issue. Actually my movie classics, bebop and rocksteady classics and 12" movie playmates all had this happen to them. And only certain parts of them, I have some pictures and can take more of the ones I don't. It's very strange and definitely not dust. I was never able to figure out what it/was but a damp cloth did fix them right up and as of yet has not returned. The ovals sick wave 1 did not have it happen though so my guess is crappy plastic from playmates that reacts poorly to something

Meow
03-31-2016, 02:48 AM
Yeah I have seen stuff like that on very old toys that were mainly exposed to sunlight or put in displays in stores and similar. That is definately some kind of reaction while I am as confused as powder about a modern toy being affected - plus being double-sealed. Probably nothing you can do about it to get it fixed I guess - for display purposes in MOC this is definately a no go.

I wonder when the AFA rating was done, probably way before this decrease in quality. Price-wise let me put it like this: I got all 4 of that collection for 120 bucks with eu shipping included. In perfect MOC condition in their wholesale package. And aren't those still available in some stores?

@BMo: For how long do you have yours and after what amount of time (roughly) did the issues start to show? Having mine for about half a year now, boxed up, all fine still.

VaughnMichael
03-31-2016, 08:29 AM
So the fact that the pads and belt are the wrong color are dust also?

I think it's either some test run sample or a bootleg.
Whatever the case may be though it doesn't look good and not worth the asking price.

Donnie
03-31-2016, 08:57 AM
That is one scary figure.

go_ninja84
03-31-2016, 09:10 AM
im putting my money on cheap plastic degradation, because the torso is clean and the limbs are bad. dust does not pick and choose. does not surprise me coming from Playmates

Lordmylar06
03-31-2016, 10:53 AM
This is actually a byproduct of the chemical used to make the plastic easily removable from the molds. A release agent is sprayed into the molds and once the plastic has cured it slips right out. Normally the chemical isn't saturated enough to cause any residue, but in some cases where too much chemical is applied, you have this defect occur.
I've personally seen this happen with Masters of the Universe Classics(the newer series) and on several mint on card vintage TMNT figures. There are ebay sellers that try to exploit this as a rare variant, claiming it's a rubber armed variant. This is simply deceptive and wrong. I've seen this defect, opened mint on card figures and examined thoroughly to determine that the figures are indeed plastic.
I'm including photo links to the same defect in Masters of the Universe Classics figures so you can compare.

http://imgur.com/a/Z5lv5

Meow
03-31-2016, 01:16 PM
This is actually a byproduct of the chemical used to make the (...)
You, sir - thank you Sir!

Candy Kappa
04-01-2016, 04:09 AM
I was just down my storage unit to pick up one of the Movie Classics to measure their height (see 2016 toys thread) and all of then had that gunk on their belts, pads, masks and Donnie had his arm coated in similar stuff.

it was easy to wipe off with my finger, so maybe I should give them a good cleaning with a cloth. None of the Toon Classics had that issue.