PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Power II: The Documentary

Canadian Turtle
04-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Greetings people of the 'Drome.

After two years of pushing, prodding and, yes, pleading, the Definitive Film team has finally gotten the go-ahead to dive back into the sewers for Turtle Power Volume II...

We now have the chance to pick up where we left off, showcasing even more TMNT history while bringing you as much new content as we can get our hands on. To that end, we're planning a pre-sell campaign that will allow fans the chance to get their hands on exclusive special features - bonus content we desperately wanted to include in the first volume, but were unable.

This opportunity to take advantage of our incredible treasure trove of Turtle footage and better serve the fan community has been a long time coming. It's something we really fought for and we're thrilled to be this close to bringing it to life.

Tell us what you might want to see in Volume II, share your ideas about bonus content and give us the chance to build a bigger documentary than we could the first time around.

Isaac Elliott-Fisher
Mark Hussey
Randall Lobb

MikeandRaph87
04-01-2016, 07:21 AM
Excellent news! I was assuming a rerelease of the previous with a few extras. So it will pick with Secret of the Ooze?

Want to see? Usagi crossover, developements of SotO such as Perry the utrom and Razhar and Tokka's creation. The Red Sky era and reasons for it. A footnote or two on the dead wra 1998-2002. Developmens that oead to the 2003 cartoon as well.

When is release tentatively going to be?

d_osborn
04-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Great news! PM sent on some unseen/unpublished REALLY COOL movie content.

PangolinFeets
04-01-2016, 07:46 AM
I would 110% support this! Thanks for coming back to it.

As far as additional content, I would love to see you discuss the new comic series by IDW. I feel like there are a lot of cool behind the scenes info that could be explored more like thrown-out ideas (the whole Oroku Saki is Leo's real father thing), interviews with artists, and talking about some of the crazier things they've done like B&R taking out Donatello in issue 44.

Chabrendeki
04-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Sounds great!

I would like to see more on the evolution of the comics: development of vol.1 and vol.2 Mirage, Archie, vol.3 Image, vol.4 Mirage, the IDW-comics...

Jester
04-01-2016, 09:01 AM
I'd be more excited if today wasn't April 1st.

The Fifth Turtle
04-01-2016, 09:34 AM
I want to see everything!!!! All kidding aside...is that possible? (Like a box set or something.)

Just thinking about all the footage you guys have that has been released makes me sick.

ToTheNines
04-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Yay! Can't wait, I will definitely contribute to the presale campaign.

I'd like to see this next one start with the development of Volume 4, Tales V.2, and the 4kids show.

Then get into Munroe's TMNT, Fast Forward, Turtles Forever, and the rest of it get deeper into IDW and Nick.

The coolest thing would be if you could get Eastman, Laird, Lawson, Murphy, Barron, Goldfine, Munroe, Waltz, Curnow, Nieli and maybe a few artists all in the same room for a group interview. That'd be amazing.

MikeandRaph87
04-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I'd be more excited if today wasn't April 1st.

I understand your skepticism due to the date on the calendar, but he mentioned it two days before. This is l3git luje I am sure the Volune 4 theead is.

TigerClaw
04-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Yeah, Hes been mentioning about the announcement days prior, so this is legit news, I hope he post some sort of press release or link to an official site.

plastroncafe
04-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Issac, so help you if this is an April Fool!

Andrew NDB
04-01-2016, 11:07 AM
This isn't an April Fool's.

Canadian Turtle
04-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Andrew is right. This is NOT an April fools. I honestly forgot it was even April 1st hahaha. Anyways. More to come soon! I love your feedback and suggestions. Makes me feel like we are already on a good track.

plastroncafe
04-01-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm seconding the Turtles Forever suggestion. I'd love to hear about the logistical process that went into pulling that project together.

CyberCubed
04-01-2016, 11:38 AM
I'm still surprised Viacom gave this the official go-ahead and greenlit it when so many other fan projects were shut down over the years or glossed over.

the fixer
04-01-2016, 01:44 PM
This is wonderful news, Canadian!
The first documentary (henceforth known as 'Turtle Power I') was awesome!

Andrew NDB
04-01-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm seconding the Turtles Forever suggestion. I'd love to hear about the logistical process that went into pulling that project together.

Dan shed a lot of insight on that once. The plan from Laird was always going to be a CGI or animated full-length adaptation of Mirage TMNT #1 for the TMNT anniversary... but Gary Richardson talked him out of it and into "Turtles Forever." And so they did it. Because they could. I don't think there were many logistics dealt with or hurtles at all beyond things like... they couldn't use the Fred Wolf voice cast (boo hoo!) because of unions or whatever.

What would be interesting to me is to see how far along that Mirage TMNT #1 animated/CGI adaptation got, and what exists of it, if anything.

d_osborn
04-01-2016, 02:50 PM
What would be interesting to me is to see how far along that Mirage TMNT #1 animated/CGI adaptation got, and what exists of it, if anything.
I remember hearing about it pretty early on. It's a shame they went in the direction they did. I tried to watch Turtles Forever and couldn't make it more than 15 minutes. It sounds like Laird wanted something more akin to what DC/WB Animation was doing at the time.

Honestly, as well documented as the 4Kids and Imagi stuff is on Laird's blog, I'm hoping the doc crew doesn't waste a ton of time regurgitating it. There's so much more cooler, less-known periods of the franchise that have never really been discussed in any detail, like the unproduced TMNT 4 movie. There's a ton of misinformation and assumptions out there.

Andrew NDB
04-01-2016, 03:04 PM
There's so much more cooler, less-known periods of the franchise that have never really been discussed in any detail, like the unproduced TMNT 4 movie. There's a ton of misinformation and assumptions out there.

Absolutely, that would be just as compelling as the "Superman Lives" documentary, about just that. It changed shape so many times... first it's the Kirby Movie, then it was morphing into something that included Venus from NT:TNM, Julie Strain was going to be an alternate dimension Enchantress... all of this long before the Imagi movie. Unfortunately, all versions of TMNT 4 sounded god-awful.

CyberCubed
04-01-2016, 03:04 PM
I remember hearing about it pretty early on. It's a shame they went in the direction they did. I tried to watch Turtles Forever and couldn't make it more than 15 minutes.

And why is that exactly?

marcelangelo
04-01-2016, 03:10 PM
hey isaac, incredible news!!!

first on my wish list-even more important than content- please make it a REGION FREE release this time around!I don't really care if it comes as a dvd or blu ray as picture quality is one of my least important regards in such things, but I cannot watch my turtle power dvd anymore on my blu ray player;( (dvd player was region decoded but br player dont wanna hear such possibillities.;)..)

after that, what would I like to see:

-mirage vol 1, 2, image tmnt comics meaning vol 3 comics, and especially vol 4 and the tales of the tmnt vol 2 era!!!
-4kids turtles cartoon in full length conversation with lloyd and peter and everyone involved with it who wants to share their knowledge, feelings regarding that special cartoon
-I want to see/hear from the people behind the TOY Packaging ART WORK and see their work if possible (I know you (Isaac) mentioned one times during the shooting of TURTLE POWER that you guys got lucky and caught up with one of the main artists of the playmates toy packaging and I wish to see-if possible- their work in close up)
-usagi yojimbo and the turtles
-thoughts about, impact of and making off of turtles 2 and turtles 3 ( I mean the live action movies by that)...love to hear from the teams of the third movie about the enormous and well researched feudal japan environment and the shoot in oregon.
-the video games (especially the early ones in arcades, on the nes, the game boy and the super nintendo, sega etc)
-tmnt (the fourth movie written and directed by kevin monroe) and their plans for a sequel to that movie
-I honestly would be curious to see a making off or in depth conversation with the makers of the next mutation tv series.what were their goals, why they chose this approach exactly etc...especially interviews with the hong kong stunt team from raymond chow if I don't err here was involved, right?to hear from them would be awesome!
speaking of awesome: the hong kong team from the first movie would be a highlight to hear from....
-real making off and thoughtful conversation with the nick team of the new cartoon
-john duprez turtles score!!
-actually all the cartoons scores too! as the 80s cartoon, the 4kids cartoon and the new cartoon each feature pretty awesome and destinct music...would be sweet to hear all of the music of the three cartoons

can't think of anything else at the moment but these are my first few ideas anyway...

region free release on br and/or dvd
lots of interviews, perspectives from the makers of the mirage and image comics
toy art

my ideas for bonus features:

-I would LOVE to SEE peter, JIM, kevin, eric, ryan etc, all the mirage artists DRAW, PAINT or whatever some of their turtles art work
you had a little of this in the first volume of the doc series, this would be so precious to me!I LOVE the moment when we get to see jim ink a turtle!

-a close up of every turtles toys (I am talking the basic figures and vehicles here) packaging art work from the vintage line!
(hey, you even could let some of the new tmnt toys guys comment on why they chose to harken back to those glorious days a little in their contemporary approach to packaging turtles toys...)

-I'd loved to see a gallery made up of at least EVERY mirage turtles comic that ever was out there.to click through all the beautiful imaginative art work of over 30 years would be a real treat!...I remember seeing such a featurette on the first spider-man movie dvd of sam raimis version

-maybe include a video section with international turtles toy commercials?would be sweet to see the turtles in action in different parts of the world

-perhaps we could see a featurette starring those turtles fans who have shared with you their huge collections of turtles toys...
would be interested to hear their stories too in their own words of course.

- international turtle mania caught in home video footage from the era (that would be koool)

-all the turtles food and whacky products that were made bearing the turtles (like those crunchabungas or the raphael turtles ice sickle I always ate in spain)
okay, I think thats all for the moment.will write again if I can think of something I forgot.

thanks for sticking to the project and fighting for a second part!!you rock!

d_osborn
04-01-2016, 03:10 PM
And why is that exactly?
Turtles Forever was pretty much forgotten/unheard of outside of the core fanbase. A somewhat mature, feature-length adaptation of Mirage 1 probably would have made a bigger splash, and possibly lead to more. Look at the DC animated universe. I'm not saying it would have been that big, but the possibility was definitely there to have more similar works. If you really wanna wax tin foil hat possibilities, a moderately successful mature animated movie could have swayed Nick execs on what ultimately became the Platinum Dunes movie.

Absolutely, that would be just as compelling as the "Superman Lives" documentary, about just that. It changed shape so many times... first it's the Kirby Movie, then it was morphing into something that included Venus from NT:TNM, Julie Strain was going to be an alternate dimension Enchantress... all of this long before the Imagi movie.
Yeah, the Supes Lives doc was fun. I've been mildly obsessed with the film since the mid-90s, when word started getting out. I wish the doc hadn't been so sloppy, but it was a fun look behind the curtain. It took so long to finish that most of the material had already found it's way online, but the interviews were great. I REALLLLLY wish Cage would have participated.

Unfortunately, all versions of TMNT 4 sounded god-awful.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. I'm not saying all of the scripts were Citizen Kane (or even TMNT 90), but some of what was being developed was pretty cool. Some. Definitely not all. There was some steaming crap, too.

The Hallmark mini-series would also be pretty neat to see discussed in detail on the new doc. Lets finally see that Splinter test footage and Shredder maquette that Laird mentioned!

Andrew NDB
04-01-2016, 03:44 PM
I tried to watch Turtles Forever and couldn't make it more than 15 minutes.

It's very difficult for me to ever watch the 4Kids TMNT, even in something like that. But that particular evening, copious amounts of vodka shared with Plastroncafe helped quite a bit.

plastroncafe
04-01-2016, 03:57 PM
It's very difficult for me to ever watch the 4Kids TMNT, even in something like that. But that particular evening, copious amounts of vodka shared with Plastroncafe helped quite a bit.

Any joy I get from watching Turtles Forever -- and there is quite a bit of it because I loved that damn movie -- is quickly followed by an equal amount of cringing due to the hangover that followed. Cripes that was a lot of vodka.

I don't have nearly the issues with Turtles Forever that a lot of people do. I thought each iteration was treated according to it's kind. From the surreal of the OT to the overly grizzled and grunty of the Mirage era stuff.

newhire13
04-01-2016, 04:45 PM
For me any movie related details would be ideal. The movie 1 stuff was easily the best part of the documentary for me.

Bry
04-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Beyond excited for this. Turtle Power was the best TMNT movie in years (:D) and the only downside for me is that is was obviously truncated from what the filmmakers intended. I know a ton of work and research was put into content beyond the first movie, so I'm really glad that's not going to waste. The late-90s "dead" period, the comic revival(s), the unrealized comic/TV projects, and the lead-up to the 4Kids series are all things I'm very interested to see more about.

Thanks for the update, and please keep us posted! :tgrin:

CyberCubed
04-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Turtles Forever was pretty much forgotten/unheard of outside of the core fanbase. A somewhat mature, feature-length adaptation of Mirage 1 probably would have made a bigger splash, and possibly lead to more.

Issue #1 of Mirage doesn't have enough content to last an hour and a half movie. It would be 45-50 minutes at best, and that's if they extended the fight scenes moreso than the panels seen in the comic.

Its pretty obvious why they didn't do it.

Casey
04-01-2016, 10:34 PM
I think you should just simply touch on all the things the first part left out. I echo the other things that were said by the fellow dromers. We need to see 2K3 and Turtles Forever etc.

Also, ME PERSONALLY, I desperately want more behind the scenes from TMNT 1990. I waited years to see all the secrets and unseen things in the first part and you guys weren't able to include it all, so PLEASE put it on the disc at least!

Also, also, I have complained once via email and once on here that for those of us who donated to the project, we were promised to be thanked in the credits and this did not happen. When I complained, someone said they would be sending out discs... this also did not happen. So, if you make claims to your early supporters, you should follow through.

Chaotix12345
04-02-2016, 02:34 AM
Awesome news! Would LOVE some 2k3 stuff in Volume 2, particularly interviews with Lloyd Goldfine and any of the voice actors that are available. The OT cast interviews in the first volume were a lot of fun!

the fixer
04-02-2016, 02:43 AM
Don't forget the $50 million John Woo movie from around 2001!

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/tmnt_cgi3.jpg

Among many other articles still floating around online, check out this IGN article titled 'John Woo & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Real Deal'

Not really, no...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/06/30/john-woo-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-the-real-deal

ToTheNines
04-02-2016, 03:36 PM
The late-90s "dead" period

Ah, yes. Specifically I'd love to see a segment interviewing Dan Berger and highlighting the old official website. Kind of a forgotten thing of the old days that I know a lot of people have nostalgia for. For sure have Dan talk about the letters he used to write as each of the turtles, he had a pretty fun ongoing story there for a little bit.

You can still see the old site via https://archive.org/web/

Powder
04-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Yeah, beside the obvious of covering segments you were unable to or grazed over in the last (4kids, TMNT, Next Mutation, Image/Vol. 3, IDW, Nick, etc.), more than anything, I want to see the stuff that didn't get made. There were like 6-7 turtle flicks that didn't come to fruition or were radically evolved from their original concept.

Film-wise there's the first pitch with face-painted comedians, the 4th flick (with Julie Strain, Spyder, "the next mutation", cyber villains, etc. that one had at least 3-4 proposed iterations), the would-be John Woo movie, Steve Barron's 2000 Henson sequel, the Hallmark flick, the Imagi sequel, the John Fusco pre-buyout film, Blue Door, the list goes on & on. Next Mutation's second season was highly developed before being cancelled, Dooney's got a crap ton of concept art for it. & as far as animated series' go, we had two just prior to the 4kids cartoon, one being crude CGI & another hand-drawn (for WB).

Another thing that would be interesting is global impact & international off-shoots. I would be so hyped if you could address the anime/manga, as well as the many toys, all produced in Japan, with wacky re-designs & Sentai/Ultraman aesthetics. Then you've got two different comic series' produced in Mexico & the UK respectively (with the latter also having magazines & newspaper strips, I believe), among other things.

I'll also echo the "anything further to deal with the live action films" enthusiasm, especially regarding the first, though I'd love to see/hear more about the lesser covered sequels.

Some "What-ifs" would be really cool too, similar to the un-produced movies. You know, get Ciro Nieli to describe his original pitch and/or have the team reveal other ideas they pursued prior to his being brought on, maybe some of the Mirage guys can talk about things that never got off the ground (I know Berger had a TMNT comic reboot in development at one point that got nixed due to the buyout), refresh us on those insane concepts Playmates had for the OT, how Next Mutation might have been different (such as how they at one point had Venus in pink, then made her cyan, then made Leo yellow so that there wouldn't be two blues, but ultimately put him back in the classic colors [I think Donnie was in black at one point, too!]), that sort of thing.

Video games! Turtles In Time is such a huge part of gaming culture. At the very least you've gotta show that, not to mention how infamous the first NES title has become. :tlol:

Oh, & I think a segment about crossovers would be supreme. Focus on Usagi/Stan Sakai, Savage Dragon/Erik Larsen (& by extension their partnership with Image & that series' creation), Flaming Carrot/Bob Burden, & Cerebus/Dave Sim (whose insight could be particularly interesting given he was the first to mesh with them). That's a perfect place to bring up inter-TMNT mash-ups like Turtles Forever, too.

Anyways, mad hyped for this! Good luck! Any ETA?

marcelangelo
04-02-2016, 05:36 PM
can you speculate what might be a possible time slot for the release of this new volume of the doc?
maybe a ideal point of release around summer already when the new 'movie' (aka worst ******** with a turtle head on it) is coming or probably rather after that, around the time for the home release of that hollywood 'movie'?
I imagine the editing alone could take a really long while for a project like this...even if we assume that you may already have all the footage right now...

Ninjinister
04-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Maybe if you'll have me, I could do something for this one? I declined the original because I was in a dark place back then.

Sabacooza
04-02-2016, 07:08 PM
I sent a possible contribution through PM as well.

thundermaster612
04-02-2016, 07:23 PM
I would really enjoy seeing things about those cancelled movies, I'm still trying to imagine Hallmark making a TMNT movie....

d_osborn
04-03-2016, 01:28 AM
Film-wise there's the first pitch with face-painted comedians, the 4th flick (with Julie Strain, Spyder, "the next mutation", cyber villains, etc. that one had at least 3-4 proposed iterations), the would-be John Woo movie, Steve Barron's 2000 Henson sequel, the Hallmark flick, the Imagi sequel, the John Fusco pre-buyout film, Blue Door, the list goes on & on.

I'll also echo the "anything further to deal with the live action films" enthusiasm, especially regarding the first, though I'd love to see/hear more about the lesser covered sequels.

The film series on it's own would make for a killer, super long documentary, like the 4+ hour long NIGHTMARE or GHOSTBUSTERS docs. It could easily be just as interesting of a showbiz industry doc as a franchise doc. An interesting look into independent film industry of the 90s, especially when centered around Eastman and Laird-- industry outsiders running a huge blockbuster franchise within the indie film biz. Warts and all. Something like how the SUPERMAN LIVES doc did a great job of showing the inner-workings of 90s blockuster franchise movie development. I honestly think it's just as interesting of a story as E&L starting the franchise, early Mirage days, etc.

There are even more unseen/unknown versions that it would be great to see covered in-depth. The early Mouser version of the 1990 movie, the original environmental-based script for Secret of the Ooze with Casey Jones, I would LOVE to see the development of TMNT 3: THE SACRED SCROLL OF DEATH. I know E&L honestly tried hard to right the wrong of SOTO, to make something really, really cool. The TMNT 4 stuff was an animal all to itself. There's a lot of misinformation out there. The scripts weren't perfect, but the threads were there to make a very cool movie. It could have easily turned into the second best TMNT movie, obviously behind Barron's.

Powder, you mentioned the Hallmark mini-series and the Barron sequel. Were they not the same project? I know that a few screenwriters that worked on the Kirby version wrote the Hallmark scripts. The story had something to do with the TMNT's individual spirits merging on the astral plane. I would LOVE to see Barron discussing his ideas on it.

The Fusco project would be REALLY cool to see covered, too.

Powder
04-03-2016, 01:48 AM
It was my understanding that there were two concepts involving Barron, one being the Kirby thing where the turtles develop human-like traits, & another being a more direct sequel to the original film. But as you said, there's a lot of mixed up stuff out there, so I can't say for sure.

Raph
04-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Wow this is awesome news. Really looking forward to a second one.
I would love to contribute. You guys were ok with it on the first one but since I live all the way in the Netherlands it was a bit difficult.

I do have a lot of TMNT material and if you are still including fans I hope I can contribute with my TMNT autograph collection and the contacts I have with the actors.

(You can of course contact me through my website, PM me here or on FB (Rutger Gret))

marcelangelo
04-03-2016, 04:21 AM
Yes, it would be sweet to See all our photo contributions put into a feature on the new doc.

Guys, being reminded about the mystical hallmark project and the john woo turtles movie etc really pumps me up for this doc :tgrin:

NYShell
04-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Yes! I won't lie, I was kind of disappointed with the documentary. Not because of the content, but because there was hardly anything. I'll support this for sure.

Well getting straight to it; I want to see more of the Mirage days and a lot more of the original 1990 movie. Those two the most. But I really would like to see the lost years of the TMNT franchise. After the the Red Sky season ended. The Image comics, Next Mutation (regardless of the tragedy it was) and 2K3. I wouldn't focus on the IDW comics or current Nick stuff at all. We're all already being shown that stuff constantly and up to date with what's going on Now in the franchise. It would be cool if you could include more of us fans from the Drome in the documentary interviews! Pretty excited. Keep us posted. This is just my opinion, but I don't really care for anything that's being done with the franchise right now; but this documentary is something I look forward to, along with some of the older turtle fans!

ToTheNines
04-03-2016, 04:50 PM
This news got me excited, so I rewatched part 1 today (gotta be my all-time most viewed documentary by now).

If part two is to actually be a sequel to the first one, it would work well to keep the focus on Peter and Kevin.

If it's a three act structure, have the first act focus on Pete overseeing Tales and 4kids, end that with Turtles Forever and the buyout. Second act be about Kevin and the IDW books, definitely get into the 30th anniversary special.

Then last part could be Nick turtles, and maybe 5 minutes on PD Ninja Turtles if you wanna be nice lol.

Leonardo87
04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
I would like to see more footage/deleted scenes from the 1990 movie if possible. The Hallmark movie that was mentioned, 2k3 development from the WB to Fox Kids. There is so much to name lol.

AquaParade
04-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Has anyone mentioned the Live action Hallmark television series that almost came to be? That's a definite must.

Anything related to Mirage or IDW comics, please!

Powder
04-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Literally the post above you, it's one of many. :tlol:

Meow
04-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Agree with the posters here for what the documentary is actually called "The Definite History" but that would most probably push the film length up to 3 hours of runtime instead of close 2 hours. Still would watch :)

Canadian Turtle
04-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Wow! The outpouring of support and feedback is awesome here!

I am very excited to get back to this franchise and your suggestions have really got my mind racing. Updates will likely be few and far between for a couple of months at least, as I am shooting a Sci-Fi feature right now and we start production on the He-Man documentary in late May/early June. That said we are hoping to have the campaign up and running around that time.

Taking your suggestions and adding them to what we have planned is already shaping up to be a pretty awesome film. I know a lot of you were disappointed with certain aspects of the last film and I'm sure there will be some frustrated fans after this one as well. We will do our best to include as much as we can, but keep in mind these things are incredibly expensive to produce and rights clearances eat deeply into that budget, so we have to pick and choose as best we can. For instance did anyone notice we had to re-record the cartoon theme song for the first doc?! (That was me singing in the chorus and doing the turtle voices hahaha) that wasn't even because of cost, we were literally not allowed to use the original song. Lots of red tape! Ps I think that recording of the theme song is available on iTunes.

Meow
04-04-2016, 06:04 AM
did anyone notice we had to re-record the cartoon theme song for the first doc?! (That was me singing in the chorus and doing the turtle voices hahaha) that wasn't even because of cost, we were literally not allowed to use the original song. Lots of red tape! Ps I think that recording of the theme song is available on iTunes.
No, really? :o Since I've seen the documentary last weekend for the first time, so freshly new, I'm not having a hard time recalling the moment with the song that did sound like the original to me with just a small nuance of being off, noticable, not negatively though. So actually if you did it on your own that is indeed impressive :)

marcelangelo
04-04-2016, 07:20 AM
I noticed it was a re-recording but a pretty ****in koool one I can tell ya.

TigerClaw
04-04-2016, 08:14 AM
I have the DVD and I have yet to see it, I heard there was a lot of stuff that was cut, maybe it can be added to the 2nd documentary.

Maybe there will be some stuff about the sequel TMNT: Out of The Shadows, which is coming out this June.

d_osborn
04-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I have the DVD and I have yet to see it, I heard there was a lot of stuff that was cut, maybe it can be added to the 2nd documentary.

Maybe there will be some stuff about the sequel TMNT: Out of The Shadows, which is coming out this June.
I actually never picked up the DVD, as I was hoping for a Blu-ray release. I need to grab it.

I'm really hoping not much (if any) time is spent on the new PD movies. If anything, development on the first PD movie would be neat to see. I'm sure Paramount is documenting the production pretty heavily.

Fan docs, whether official or unofficial, seem to be at their best when focusing on more historical/archival material. Especially things that have never been out in the ether. Laird has basically a Day One archive of the 4Kids era on his blog. If the doc length is going to be like the first movie, it would be cool to see them dive into things that fans haven't seen before... things that aren't available online. There's a lot out there that hasn't been discovered. ;)

Isaac, you mentioned the MOTU doc-- I have some unseen 70mm film elements from BOSS Films that were shot for the Goddard MOTU movie. I'm scanning similar 70mm reels with a telecine rig for another doc, so getting great quality 1080 files isn't a problem. If you're interested, just shout. :)

the fixer
04-06-2016, 07:38 AM
I have some unseen 70mm film elements from BOSS Films that were shot for the Goddard MOTU movie. I'm scanning similar 70mm reels with a telecine rig for another doc, so getting great quality 1080 files isn't a problem. If you're interested, just shout. :)

Whoa, where the heck did you get that? Awesome find!
I'd love to see it in the documentary!
I'm dying to see that MOTU docu, by the way... Totally backing that! :D

MikeandRaph87
04-06-2016, 07:59 AM
CandianTurtle, are planning on starting in 1991 where you left off? I am curious of the structure of the sequel documentary.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
04-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Whoa, where the heck did you get that? Awesome find!
I'd love to see it in the documentary!
I'm dying to see that MOTU docu, by the way... Totally backing that! :D

Count me in on that enthusiasm as well. I'm a HUGE MOTU fan!

Casey
04-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Don't forget the $50 million John Woo movie from around 2001!

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/tmnt_cgi3.jpg

Among many other articles still floating around online, check out this IGN article titled 'John Woo & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Real Deal'

Not really, no...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/06/30/john-woo-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-the-real-deal

You're sure that's not just this plus misinformation? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_wQ8Xt8GN0

pferreira
04-07-2016, 08:49 AM
It's very difficult for me to ever watch the 4Kids TMNT, even in something like that. But that particular evening, copious amounts of vodka shared with Plastroncafe helped quite a bit.Oh really that's interesting. Most people have positive things to say about it. What was it about 4Kids TMNT you didn't like?

pferreira
04-07-2016, 08:53 AM
I would love to see retrospectives on the second and third movie and of course there was no coverage of the 4Kids show. Some info on David Wise battles with the network towards the end of the Fred Wolf series would be interesting. Really the documentary just needs expanding, in some parts more than others. Thanks Isaac for doing having another round of this. :)

neatoman
04-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Oh really that's interesting. Most people have positive things to say about it. What was it about 4Kids TMNT you didn't like?

Seeing a kids' show use the Mirage stories with toned down violence and some added stuff for children pisses him off. He's just a purist, he once made a thread about how giving the turtles different skin tones is even worse than the multi-colored bandanas, so just take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

TigerClaw
04-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Seeing a kids' show use the Mirage stories with toned down violence and some added stuff for children pisses him off. He's just a purist, he once made a thread about how giving the turtles different skin tones is even worse than the multi-colored bandanas, so just take whatever he says with a grain of salt.
In other words, don't take him seriously then.

neatoman
04-07-2016, 10:27 AM

... Yeah, basically. He does deserve some respect for his willingness to fund some projects he don't profit from, but yeah, some of statements make him seem less like purist and more like a parody of purists.

Bry
04-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Preferences are preferences. I don't necessarily agree myself, but he's pretty damn consistent in his opinions and preferences. I think that's worth taking seriously. At least as far as taking fandom "seriously" goes. :trazz:

Just saying. If we want our preferences/opinions respected, we have to respect others' as well.

marcelangelo
04-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Preferences are preferences. I don't necessarily agree myself, but he's pretty damn consistent in his opinions and preferences. I think that's worth taking seriously. At least as far as taking fandom "seriously" goes. :trazz:

Just saying. If we want our preferences/opinions respected, we have to respect others' as well.

well spoken, Bry.thank you!

hey Isaac, could we see an interview section just on the henson creature design.I mean thoughts shared about what all went in to come up with these awesome and individual character heads for each turtle and splinter?
that would rule in my opinion!
I think not enough has been written or said on how wonderful just the creature desgn was on the 1990 movie!

massakre
04-07-2016, 03:52 PM
holy moly, this is great news.. I guess I'd just like more, more, more lol.. of EVERYTHING!! The first Turtle Power was awesome, so I'm sure this one will knock it out the park as well..

I can't think of much to add outside of what you'll probably do already which is maybe touch on where TMNT went following the first movie and maybe touching on the rise/fall of TMNT and how they found their stride again post-2000. More information involving any of the movies, including 2007's movie would be awesome. I think just touching more on their connection with pop culture is always a good thing too.

TigerClaw
04-07-2016, 04:06 PM
... Yeah, basically. He does deserve some respect for his willingness to fund some projects he don't profit from, but yeah, some of statements make him seem less like purist and more like a parody of purists.
Yeah, some of the those purist in many fandom comes off as silly, when they argue about really mundane things.

the new documentary should have a section on the TMNT video games, like the 1st one on the NES, which was notoriously difficult to beat at the time.

Andrew NDB
04-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Oh really that's interesting. Most people have positive things to say about it. What was it about 4Kids TMNT you didn't like?)

Where things like Fred Wolf show and Nick show don't really make any bones about being their own thing in a very loud, made-for-children way... the 4Kids series -- while equally bad -- wraps itself up in the guise of familiar Mirage stories and material, while still being a little kids/toy fiesta. It's painful to watch, as such. Watching "Return to New York" in 4Kids, which bears the name of my favorite Mirage story, is so painfully unlike anything in that story, it's mind-blowing. In a... makes me want to put a gun to my head and blow my mind out way.

Of course. It's far worse, and even more nonsensical. Red-earred sliders (particularly brothers, clearly of the same spat of eggs) don't have different skin tones... it's a stupid toy thing so little Tommy can have toys that look different. And moreover it's the TPTB looking down at the fandom and saying, "We don't trust you to tell the Turtles apart by their weapons, or the color of their bandanna... we must ALSO make their skin tones different for us to be able to trust you to tell them apart, even if this is a thing genetically impossible." And that's insane. Grow a backbone and give them the middle finger for it they deserve. It's even borderline racist.

Machias Banshee
04-07-2016, 08:48 PM
This is great news!

I don't have any particular desires, but you did such a good job on the first, anything you do will this time will be fantastic. :D

ToTheNines
04-10-2016, 06:48 AM
After seeing Richard Rosenbaum pop up a couple times in part 1, I bought his book about TMNT. He's got a lot of great points about all things Turtles, I'd be down for him coming back in this new one!

koenne
04-11-2016, 10:33 AM
This is so awesome !

the fixer
04-11-2016, 11:20 AM
After seeing Richard Rosenbaum pop up a couple times in part 1, I bought his book about TMNT.

Haha, I did exactly the same! Cool little book! :)

pferreira
04-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Where things like Fred Wolf show and Nick show don't really make any bones about being their own thing in a very loud, made-for-children way... the 4Kids series -- while equally bad -- wraps itself up in the guise of familiar Mirage stories and material, while still being a little kids/toy fiesta. It's painful to watch, as such. Watching "Return to New York" in 4Kids, which bears the name of my favorite Mirage story, is so painfully unlike anything in that story, it's mind-blowing. In a... makes me want to put a gun to my head and blow my mind out way.

Ok I understand what you're getting at. You'd rather they did their own thing for the 4Kids series than take Mirage stories and transfer them to TV without the same tone, style and content. Fair enough.

John Pannozzi
04-14-2016, 11:36 PM
It would be nice if Stan Sakai, Gary Carlson, Frank Fosco, and maybe Erik Larsen were interviewed.

sgtfbomb
04-29-2016, 08:07 PM
First off, this is excellent news. My primary hopes for this second volume is that you guys cover SOTO, TMNT 3, and 2k3 to the best of your ability.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
05-06-2016, 01:29 AM
Tell us what you might want to see in Volume II, share your ideas about bonus content

*80s cartoon - More In-depth, for example: Thought Process/Development of the 'Europe' episodes, Thought Process/Development/About the Changes and/or creation of the 'Red Sky Episodes', what are some of the specific thoughts/feelings that they've gotten aka feedback from the fans on why the show was so popular, the Decline of the Popularity of the show

*First Movie - If you can't show deleted scenes, have someone talk verbally about all of the scenes (for example, the 'Mikey getting upset and smashing things' which was featured in the comic adaptation...why it was Mikey on top of the barn yelling and yet it was Raph's voice...was there an extended part of the Raph & Casey fight since some pictures have popped up that weren't in the film?). Interviews with voice actors like Robbie Rist and Brian Tochi (who voiced the characters in all 3 live action films...how did they get the job, how was it, what made them come back for all 3, are they proud of it, the current popularity of these characters & films, etc.). The music/soundtrack...maybe even the guys who sang Turtle Power (and what was behind the whole 'Raph is the Leader of the group' quote from the song) or the person who did the music score to all of the flicks.

*Second & Third Film - More than just 1 minute on both flicks. Especially with folks like Ernie Reyes Jr. and such.

*Next Mutation - Since Kevin Eastman seems more like the guy behind it, you could just ask him on a little history behind the inception, creation, the decision behind doing a live action TV show, the initial intent with Venus, and so forth.

*The various 'Might Have Been Films'...from the 'comedians in green make-up' to the 4th live action flick back in the day to the John Woo produced animated flick (fake, real, rumor, etc...since their are written material that says that John Woo himself was a fan of the characters) to the Hallmark Mini-series by Steve Barron (would it have been a sequel to his film? did he have any story ideas?) to the CGI TMNT 2007 sequel (what were the ideas behind it)

*The 2003 cartoon (development, inception, goals of the show, arguments/fights over direction of the show, ratings problems (like some episodes being 'called off' or 'almost banned' or so forth, pushing the envelope with episodes like Same As It Never Was and some of the other 'darkness' in certain episodes). Interviews with the voice actors of the 4 main Turtles (like what was done for the 80s cartoon). Development/making of Turtles Forever, and etc.

*CGI TMNT 2007 - general inception/development/making of the film, ideas that were abandoned for one reason or another (for example, Raph was supposed to die at the end and then come back...maybe have the director or such go more in-depth as to what exactly was going to happen during that sequence...was he going to sacrifice himself to save Leo? Go a different way?). Sequel Plans, Reaction when the film came out, etc.

*Comics - Kevin Eastman about the ideas behind developing Bodycount, the Image Comics (and their ideas, reasons, goals, and so forth with the direction they went towards), and at least a general showing of the various comic book versions of these characters.

*Video Games - if nothing else, just touch with someone like James Rolfe or perhaps even the makers of the games to give at least a brief view of the video game history of these characters. At least the Arcade and NES/SNES ones.

That's just a handful. Lot more could be done.

ToTheNines
05-28-2016, 03:19 PM
How's it going Isaac? Any update?

Redmage1987
06-02-2016, 03:37 AM
This is great news! I actually just watched the first Turtle Power Documentary the other day, and loved it! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more! Some things that I would like to see are...

#1) Go more in depth with the 1987 Cartoon: Maybe talk a little bit about the Vacation in Europe side season, the Red Sky Era, and the end of the show. Also maybe talk about the Turtle Tips as well. Having the original cast come back to talk about the show would be awesome, as well.

#2) More footage from the first three movies: I'd love to see more deleted scenes, bloopers, and even just to hear some details about ideas that they might not have went through with. And yeah, having some of the cast members talk about their time on the set would be really nice too.

#3) The Next Mutation: I'd love to hear a little history about it and why those chose to make it a live action TV show, as well as more details on the creation of Venus.

#4) TMNT 4: I think it would be really cool to hear about some of the stuff that was being considered for that film, as well as some of the concept art for it.

#5) The 2003 Series: Not much to say here, basically cover this like the 1987 Series was. Try to have the cast get interviewed and talk about their time on the show and whatnot.

#6) Crossovers & Turtles Forever: Talk about the various cross overs that TMNT has done with other franchises, and maybe even give Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue a mention, and talk about the development & making of Turtles Forever.

#7) TMNT 2007 Film: Talk about the development and making of the film, as well as ideas that never made it to the final cut.

#8 ) Video Games: Maybe give a mention at how TMNT still continues to have video games to this day, and talk about some of the more populars ones from the NES/SNES/Genesis/Game Boy days. Maybe interview some of the creators of the games and give some insight on how development went for them.

#9) Fan Contributions: Have some interviews from various TMNT Fans about the impact the series has had on them, and about how they continue to enjoy it. Maybe accept some old family videos of them doing Ninja Turtle related stuff, I'm sure you could find something neat to include. (How would we go about submitting stuff like that for the video, though? Just send it to you in a PM or something?)

#10) The 2012 TV Show and the New Movies: Near the end of the film, you could talk briefly about the 2012 Nick Show, as well as the two newest movies. You shouldn't have to go into detail since all of that is farily new, but I think it would still be worth a mention.

MathUser
06-05-2016, 09:07 AM
I bought the first one on PPV. Good thing I did cause they didn't offer it long.

twopinacoladas
06-12-2016, 06:03 AM
I will support this, I cant think of any thing at the moment in particular lots of good suggestions already. I'd really like to see as much of the interviews and cut content that could be released. If possible just a suggestion if it could be like something along the lines of Never Sleep Again the Elm Street Legacy. I remember it was amazing for fans as the documentary was if I recall 4 hours in length and had an additional 4 hours of bonus material on a separate disc. That may not be necessary I guess as you already have the first Turtle Power but I know you guys had a tone of content that likely had to be trimmed back.

I should also just say I very much enjoyed the first doc you guys did it didn't really seem like it had to be longer as I was satisfied with the viewing. I am always in favor of for more content when possible if it is engaging and I am interested in the subject. I suspect you guys could do it as you did a great job with the first doc :)

Canadian Turtle
07-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Hey all, an update is LOOOOONG overdue. I must apologize as I/we have been focused on a couple of other things. One of which has been the He-Man documentary. We came back from our first round on that film a couple of weeks ago having already landed 33 interviews. We are back for a second tour on that film starting immediately after con later this month.

We don't have a ton to report just yet, but we do plan on turning our focus towards TP2 after this months second tour on Power of Grayskull. We are planning on including all of you in the process of getting the film done and hopefully then we can bring you some of the stuff we collected during the making of the first documentary as extras as well.

In the meantime we will be hitting up Comic Con this year and will be part of a panel on Frank Frazetta and Conan, if you come out and check it out on Sunday morning you might see some exclusive content from our Conan documentary. Conan & Frazetta: Celebrating 50 Years, Sunday, 7/24/16, 11:00a.m. - 12:00p.m., Room: 29AB

We will also be promoting this little sci-fi feature I shot this spring called Defective. We will be walking around Con in one of the suits from the film, if you see me, take my picture, there will be a little contest on our FB page where you can win a cool prize related to the film. Check it out at: https://www.facebook.com/defectivefuture

MathUser
07-12-2016, 09:07 AM
He-man doc? I'd definately want that. I hope you wrap things up this time. Not leave the door open for a second documentary. I want my docs complete.

Etsyturtle2
07-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Hey all, an update is LOOOOONG overdue. I must apologize as I/we have been focused on a couple of other things. One of which has been the He-Man documentary. We came back from our first round on that film a couple of weeks ago having already landed 33 interviews. We are back for a second tour on that film starting immediately after con later this month.

We don't have a ton to report just yet, but we do plan on turning our focus towards TP2 after this months second tour on Power of Grayskull. We are planning on including all of you in the process of getting the film done and hopefully then we can bring you some of the stuff we collected during the making of the first documentary as extras as well.

In the meantime we will be hitting up Comic Con this year and will be part of a panel on Frank Frazetta and Conan, if you come out and check it out on Sunday morning you might see some exclusive content from our Conan documentary. Conan & Frazetta: Celebrating 50 Years, Sunday, 7/24/16, 11:00a.m. - 12:00p.m., Room: 29AB

We will also be promoting this little sci-fi feature I shot this spring called Defective. We will be walking around Con in one of the suits from the film, if you see me, take my picture, there will be a little contest on our FB page where you can win a cool prize related to the film. Check it out at: https://www.facebook.com/defectivefuture

Sweet!

---------

thebrownranger
07-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Ah, yes. Specifically I'd love to see a segment interviewing Dan Berger and highlighting the old official website. Kind of a forgotten thing of the old days that I know a lot of people have nostalgia for. For sure have Dan talk about the letters he used to write as each of the turtles, he had a pretty fun ongoing story there for a little bit.

You can still see the old site via https://archive.org/web/

Yeah, beside the obvious of covering segments you were unable to or grazed over in the last (4kids, TMNT, Next Mutation, Image/Vol. 3, IDW, Nick, etc.), more than anything, I want to see the stuff that didn't get made. There were like 6-7 turtle flicks that didn't come to fruition or were radically evolved from their original concept.

Film-wise there's the first pitch with face-painted comedians, the 4th flick (with Julie Strain, Spyder, "the next mutation", cyber villains, etc. that one had at least 3-4 proposed iterations), the would-be John Woo movie, Steve Barron's 2000 Henson sequel, the Hallmark flick, the Imagi sequel, the John Fusco pre-buyout film, Blue Door, the list goes on & on. Next Mutation's second season was highly developed before being cancelled, Dooney's got a crap ton of concept art for it. & as far as animated series' go, we had two just prior to the 4kids cartoon, one being crude CGI & another hand-drawn (for WB).

Another thing that would be interesting is global impact & international off-shoots. I would be so hyped if you could address the anime/manga, as well as the many toys, all produced in Japan, with wacky re-designs & Sentai/Ultraman aesthetics. Then you've got two different comic series' produced in Mexico & the UK respectively (with the latter also having magazines & newspaper strips, I believe), among other things.

Some "What-ifs" would be really cool too, similar to the un-produced movies. You know, get Ciro Nieli to describe his original pitch and/or have the team reveal other ideas they pursued prior to his being brought on, maybe some of the Mirage guys can talk about things that never got off the ground (I know Berger had a TMNT comic reboot in development at one point that got nixed due to the buyout), refresh us on those insane concepts Playmates had for the OT, how Next Mutation might have been different (such as how they at one point had Venus in pink, then made her cyan, then made Leo yellow so that there wouldn't be two blues, but ultimately put him back in the classic colors [I think Donnie was in black at one point, too!]), that sort of thing.

Video games! Turtles In Time is such a huge part of gaming culture. At the very least you've gotta show that, not to mention how infamous the first NES title has become. :tlol:

Oh, & I think a segment about crossovers would be supreme. Focus on Usagi/Stan Sakai, Savage Dragon/Erik Larsen (& by extension their partnership with Image & that series' creation), Flaming Carrot/Bob Burden, & Cerebus/Dave Sim (whose insight could be particularly interesting given he was the first to mesh with them). That's a perfect place to bring up inter-TMNT mash-ups like Turtles Forever, too.

Anyways, mad hyped for this! Good luck! Any ETA?

What these guys said.

marcelangelo
08-06-2016, 04:17 AM
So does the failure of this so called New 'movie' in Theaters right now has any influence on your Project?
I could see the money brokers pulling back their Investments after realizing turtles has apparently 'run its course'...
What do you think??

Canadian Turtle
09-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Believe it or not we are hitting the road on the first official tour for this second volume of Turtle Power starting the end of this month! We will be posting things as much as we can, but not likely until after we are back home. This will be a stripped down crew.

I am putting the call out to anyone who might have connections to people they would suggest be good interviews that we didn't have in the first film. I already know who we want to get, so I don't need lists of those people, but if you are connected in some way to a person or persons who would be worth connecting to us, please send me a PM.

ROCK ON!

Powder
09-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Exciting stuff! Good luck on your journey!

oldmanwinters
09-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Bring the heat!

ToTheNines
09-15-2016, 04:53 AM
Yes! Can't wait to see this all come together. So glad it's actually happening.

Party on Isaac.

Alex
09-21-2016, 10:38 AM
I don't remember everything that was in the first Turtle Power, but I would like to see more about the merchendise, especially the video games. Also information about the TMNT club that existed in the late 80's/early 90's.

Correct me if Turtle Power already included this. I haven't seen it in a while. Sorry! :tcry:

Canadian Turtle
09-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Turtle Power Volume II is underway! We were at Bardel studios in Vancouver all day and will be for the next two. Bardel is currently animating all of the 5th season of the Nickelodeon show. We also interviewed a couple of stunt guys from Next Mutation which was shot in town back in the day.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/FullSizeRender_2_zpsw4nbacmw.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/FullSizeRender_2_zpsw4nbacmw.jpg.html)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd9u8uidg.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd9u8uidg.jpg.html)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse5su2jok.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse5su2jok.jpg.html)

ToTheNines
09-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Hell yeah! Thanks for the updates.

Canadian Turtle
09-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Ya man! I'll try to post some pictures and an update every day or two, I hope people still check this thread! Since paramount took over our last Facebook page for the first doc we don't have a social media presence for this film yet. When we get something up and running I'll let you all know!

DevilSpooky
09-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Turtle Power Volume II is underway! We were at Bardel studios in Vancouver all day and will be for the next two. Bardel is currently animating all of the 5th season of the Nickelodeon show. We also interviewed a couple of stunt guys from Next Mutation which was shot in town back in the day.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/FullSizeRender_2_zpsw4nbacmw.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/FullSizeRender_2_zpsw4nbacmw.jpg.html)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd9u8uidg.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd9u8uidg.jpg.html)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse5su2jok.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse5su2jok.jpg.html)

So, we'll get Nick TMNT and Next Mutation this time around? I like the sound of that, put some video games in there and the 4kids show, as well as some IDW and Archie and we'll have the full package.

robb0226
09-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Awesome, this is very exciting. I literally just watched the first one last week (I believe it was on Hulu). Look forward to it!

Canadian Turtle
09-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Hey Hey! We are about to post some more pics from our time at Bardel last week (animation studio behind Nick show), just waiting on clearances.

In the meanwhile, here is the new Facebook page, like, share, love! We will do our best to keep it up to date while we are on the road this week.

https://www.facebook.com/turtlepower2/

ToTheNines
09-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Very cool, thanks for update.

Canadian Turtle
10-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Nickelodeon has been great to us! In addition to the many interviews we captured with Bardel on the process of animating the show, we were able to capture the other part of the process at Nickelodeon, as well as speak with directors, producers, and casting agents. We are off to see more amazing people today, but here are some pics from the past couples of days.

Be sure to check out our Facebook page and help spread the word! https://www.facebook.com/turtlepower2/

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvxyumitw.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvxyumitw.jpg.html)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsj81naixk.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsj81naixk.jpg.html)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspwxhmni9.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspwxhmni9.jpg.html)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsghgnfmxv.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsghgnfmxv.jpg.html)

Powder
10-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Can't imagine how much fun it must be doing this part of your run!

TigerClaw
10-01-2016, 04:43 PM
I hope this one comes out on Blu-Ray, only the 1st one was on DVD.

Canadian Turtle
10-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Yesterday was an incredible day that started off with the meticulous Trevor Zammit, Turtle fan and the sculptor of the amazing movie and video game NECA turtles we all saw at San Diego Comic-Con this year. Following that we filmed late into the night with the incredible Ciro Nieli, whose genius and the depth of his talent and love for the TMNT simply blew our minds.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14440999_524976621032540_6178629165938790362_n.jpg ?oh=d02caeb5c9afe5d8aeae589567cee5d6&oe=58749083

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14470513_524976631032539_3972501767242258674_n.jpg ?oh=7eb0a7563a67fa6e3b1d55b3fededb52&oe=5868437D

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14481797_525196907677178_8390807021679290100_o.jpg

TheJ-manTurtleMan
10-02-2016, 10:17 AM
So awesome! You guys are living the dream, best of luck to you and keep up the awesome job!!

neatoman
10-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Ciro Nieli is a genius? Isn't this he the guy who openly says writing girls with superpowers is difficult or something?

TigerClaw
10-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Yesterday was an incredible day that started off with the meticulous Trevor Zammit, Turtle fan and the sculptor of the amazing movie and video game NECA turtles we all saw at San Diego Comic-Con this year. Following that we filmed late into the night with the incredible Ciro Nieli, whose genius and the depth of his talent and love for the TMNT simply blew our minds.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14481797_525196907677178_8390807021679290100_o.jpg
I guess whatever was blurred out from the screen, has to do with Season 5 of the Nick series.

AlZarkovski
10-02-2016, 02:59 PM
I guess whatever was blurred out from the screen, has to do with Season 5 of the Nick series.

Initially the picture was clear. There's a general Tragg from OT.

(maybe crossover?)

TigerClaw
10-02-2016, 03:05 PM
Initially the picture was clear. There's a general Tragg from OT.

(maybe crossover?)
Its possible, They are gonna do another crossover episode soon.

DevilSpooky
10-02-2016, 06:32 PM

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14440999_524976621032540_6178629165938790362_n.jpg ?oh=d02caeb5c9afe5d8aeae589567cee5d6&oe=58749083

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14470513_524976631032539_3972501767242258674_n.jpg ?oh=7eb0a7563a67fa6e3b1d55b3fededb52&oe=5868437D

Wooh, some toys as well? :teek: This is going to be so good :tsurpris:

Canadian Turtle
10-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Trevor is sculpting toys for NECA, and he sculpts for fun. Nothing that he is doing has anything to do with the show.

Canadian Turtle
10-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Today brought us another great interview and some in-depth analysis from Brandon Auman the story editor of Nickelodeon's TMNT show.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14523088_525375427659326_5068756142140687237_n.jpg ?oh=92ec3a4e17b4e7a6139473bfb56d5b63&oe=58618B45

Vegita-San
10-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Believe it or not we are hitting the road on the first official tour for this second volume of Turtle Power starting the end of this month! We will be posting things as much as we can, but not likely until after we are back home. This will be a stripped down crew.

I am putting the call out to anyone who might have connections to people they would suggest be good interviews that we didn't have in the first film. I already know who we want to get, so I don't need lists of those people, but if you are connected in some way to a person or persons who would be worth connecting to us, please send me a PM.

ROCK ON!

I felt under promised on the first one.

After following it for so long and the 'lots of stuff you didn't know! or lots of stuff you havn't seen!'

and most of it WAS stuff I knew and had heard before, and it felt a little disjointed. It could have easily been 4 hours and just covered mirage and FWF alone.

Something like this i feel needs to be released in sections or parts. Part one could have focused on mirage. part two movies. part three tv....

although i will say this. out of all of the not so great documentaries out there, i'd rank this one with i know that voice in terms of at least delivering on it's subject matter.

that back to the future documentary, not so much.

Canadian Turtle
10-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Hey man. Sorry to hear it was disappointing to you. As much as we would have loved to deliver a 4 hour or multi edition film series (which is what we are working on now) that simply isn't what the distribution companies wanted, we had to deliver what would sell and stick to a specific length and format.

As for the "stuff that you hadn't seen or heard before" I admit I may have been over excited about what we had, but there is stuff in there that no one had ever seen before like the on set and in office archive footage as well as toy concepts and designs that had never seen the light of day before, so technically yes there was stuff that no turtle fan had ever seen. It just might not have been as much as some people were hoping for.

Vegita-San
10-03-2016, 08:51 PM
don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad documentary, and yes, the behind the scenes video and home movies WHERE new and awesome!
I just thought it was sold wrong.

i know you guys are dedicated tmnt fans....and i was expecting alot of stuff old loyal and true fans didn't know, for lack of a better term.

and the one part that i thought would be longer, the OS cast interviews, seemed to go by in a blink of an eye. and a cast reunion of that magnitude hadn't been done before, so i was a little dissapointed in that too.

so, if it was disappointing, it was only in the fact that i think it was over sold for a long period of time. no ones fault since people where excited about it, but after following it for so long, i was a bit let down ;o).

other than that, i really did enjoy it ;o).

Canadian Turtle
10-03-2016, 09:32 PM
don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad documentary, and yes, the behind the scenes video and home movies WHERE new and awesome!
I just thought it was sold wrong.

i know you guys are dedicated tmnt fans....and i was expecting alot of stuff old loyal and true fans didn't know, for lack of a better term.

and the one part that i thought would be longer, the OS cast interviews, seemed to go by in a blink of an eye. and a cast reunion of that magnitude hadn't been done before, so i was a little dissapointed in that too.

so, if it was disappointing, it was only in the fact that i think it was over sold for a long period of time. no ones fault since people where excited about it, but after following it for so long, i was a bit let down ;o).

other than that, i really did enjoy it ;o).

Thanks, I appreciate your response. To be honest I was also disappointed that we didn't get a chance to release more content. Especially the voice cast reunion, as there was WAY more shot and it was a very special event, you are right. Part of what we might be able to do this round is a Kickstarter campaign (considering we are still funding the second one out of our pockets) and in that campaign we would like to offer as much of the additional content we captured the first time around as bonus materials. Such as Kevin's vault tour, drawing with Peter, fan collection tours, the voice cast reunion, and so on. What do you guys think of that? This way we can offer all that bonus content as well as offer a pre-order on volume 2. We are open to your thoughts?

PS here are some shots from todays interview. We were happy to be back in San Diego again, but this time, it's not about Comic-Con. This time we spent the day with an old friend at IDW's San Diego Comic Art Gallery (a very cool spot worth checking out). Kevin Eastman was as gracious a host as always and we were thrilled to snag interviews with Bobby Curnow, Tom Waltz, Greg Goldstein and Ted Adams.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14519876_525716080958594_6206061770622004010_n.jpg ?oh=32ee7de604b784742e1e690241e575aa&oe=586A51E9

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14572758_525716077625261_2599106707608032191_n.jpg ?oh=5f19dc3244e386d595db0f4182f85988&oe=5873EBE4

Powder
10-04-2016, 12:23 AM
I for one like that idea! Assuming the content isn't forever hidden behind a pay-wall, that is.

d_osborn
10-04-2016, 09:40 AM
This way we can offer all that bonus content as well as offer a pre-order on volume 2. We are open to your thoughts?

Great idea-- I would 110% be down for that!

BTW, the interview setups are looking GREAT!

The Fifth Turtle
10-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Sign me up for the bonus material!!!

marcelangelo
10-04-2016, 03:16 PM
I'd be down with that, but I have to agree with POWDER on this one...cool possibillity, but it really feels old having to pay again for something we have been promised on the last time around...AND kinda on this part 2 of the doc..I mean common, you CANT put this extra stuff on this upcomming release??you really have to make this one SEPERATE project again?which everyone on here is going to have to pay for again and get all the hopes up?..why don't you just put all the shot material from last time on this next part as bonus content??

Leonardo87
10-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Just send the link when the pre-order is up for Bonus Content and I'll be sure to buy it instantly! lol.

pferreira
10-06-2016, 08:42 AM
I'd be down with that, but I have to agree with POWDER on this one...cool possibillity, but it really feels old having to pay again for something we have been promised on the last time around...AND kinda on this part 2 of the doc..I mean common, you CANT put this extra stuff on this upcomming release??you really have to make this one SEPERATE project again?which everyone on here is going to have to pay for again and get all the hopes up?..why don't you just put all the shot material from last time on this next part as bonus content??I agree, blu-ray it.

Powder
10-06-2016, 06:19 PM
...& DVD it, for those of us who don't move with the times. :tlol:

RaphaelsIsolation
10-24-2016, 10:44 AM
For me, I'd be very interested in the Volume 2 comics up through the Eastman Sale which was like 99 right?

I want to know that dead era. TMNT mania has definitely dropped around 1994ish or so. Image stuff would be cool. Just more stuff from the 1994-1999 era or something? And please don't spend a lot of time on that horrible Next Mutation era.

I would just love to get more details behind Eastman/Laird and the same that went down and just stuff like that.

MikeandRaph87
10-24-2016, 10:52 AM
For me, I'd be very interested in the Volume 2 comics up through the Eastman Sale which was like 99 right?

I want to know that dead era. TMNT mania has definitely dropped around 1994ish or so. Image stuff would be cool. Just more stuff from the 1994-1999 era or something? And please don't spend a lot of time on that horrible Next Mutation era.

I would just love to get more details behind Eastman/Laird and the same that went down and just stuff like that.

The Next Mutation is within the era you want to know more about. :P

Eastman sale was finalized on December 8th,2000. Several months later volume 4 kick started with Laird and Lawson. There is the Ring of Green and the founding of The Technodrome. I really thought TMNT was dead there for awhile in that four and half year period. It was during those awkward middle school years too.

Canadian Turtle
10-29-2016, 09:43 AM
That is roughly where we are focusing, that era of the down time and then moving into the new boom we are still experiencing today. We got some great new stuff about those years and stories from Kevin on this last round of filming. We are still planning on heading East to see Peter again for this film as well.

The reasons we have been so quiet on social media and on here these days is that sadly our studio burnt down a few weeks ago. Now before anyone worries that we lost any content, we take all the necessary precautions to insure content is spread out between different physical locations. That and the control room did not burn, only the main area where all the gear and sets are stored. There was a lot of smoke damage to the electronics however, so we are working very hard to back those up and start re-building again.

I have also jumped head-first into the post process on our He-Man documentary, which should be coming out soon I believe, I really need to hurry up and get that edit done! We should be following that up with the finishing on Turtle Power II if all goes as planned. Thanks everyone for staying with us and giving us your thoughts and feedback, it is much appreciated!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6466_zps80v1ujlj.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6466_zps80v1ujlj.jpg.html)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6467_zpszormezoj.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6467_zpszormezoj.jpg.html)

Meow
10-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Oh-Aw-OH man what a bummer :// Being precautious is definately worth the hazzle as we see in this case, good move :)

All the best from my end here and may you not encounter more problems *turtlethumbup* :tgrin:

Vegita-San
10-29-2016, 10:58 AM
If you can get an interview with john erwin, all is forgiven :)

Powder
10-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you guys are able to get your spot fixed up with relative ease.

oldmanwinters
10-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Condolences on the loss of your studio! Glad that no one was hurt and that your backups ensure the preservation of your archival and WIP footage!

Bry
10-29-2016, 09:56 PM
So sorry to hear about your studio!

Glad that precautions were made and you didn't lose any material, though. Will insurance cover damaged gear, at least?

DevilSpooky
10-30-2016, 07:16 PM
That is roughly where we are focusing, that era of the down time and then moving into the new boom we are still experiencing today. We got some great new stuff about those years and stories from Kevin on this last round of filming. We are still planning on heading East to see Peter again for this film as well.

The reasons we have been so quiet on social media and on here these days is that sadly our studio burnt down a few weeks ago. Now before anyone worries that we lost any content, we take all the necessary precautions to insure content is spread out between different physical locations. That and the control room did not burn, only the main area where all the gear and sets are stored. There was a lot of smoke damage to the electronics however, so we are working very hard to back those up and start re-building again.

I have also jumped head-first into the post process on our He-Man documentary, which should be coming out soon I believe, I really need to hurry up and get that edit done! We should be following that up with the finishing on Turtle Power II if all goes as planned. Thanks everyone for staying with us and giving us your thoughts and feedback, it is much appreciated!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6466_zps80v1ujlj.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6466_zps80v1ujlj.jpg.html)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6467_zpszormezoj.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6467_zpszormezoj.jpg.html)

That's awful, I'm so scared of that happening to me, I know they're just stuff but it would break me if I lost everything I have... :( Glad that no one was hurt though, that's the most important thing, hope you landed on your feet ;)

d_osborn
11-01-2016, 12:32 PM
I hate to hear about the fire! Hopefully everyone is safe. Three cheers for off-site data backup.

pferreira
11-03-2016, 12:08 PM
I think as fans we're all lucky nothing really important was destroyed and nobody hurt.

plastroncafe
11-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Yeah holy crap, dude.
That sucks, but I'm so glad no one was hurt!

Raph
11-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Oh damn, that's awfull. Wishing you the best with everything man. Glad no one got injured!

magidkaiser
11-05-2016, 01:06 AM
I would like to see something about the music in original cartoon and classic movies too

Turtle Flakes
11-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Hey guys! Rob here from Turtle Flakes podcast! My buddy Josh and I were fortunate enough to snag producer Isaac Elliot-Fisher for a while this morning, and we talked about the original Turtle Power doc and part two. We had a blast!

Here's the link if you would like to give it a listen, my friends: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/turtleflakes/episodes/2016-11-26T15_54_32-08_00

P.S. I hope to start posting a whole lot more this year. It's awesome to see so many passionate TMNT fans discussing all things Turtles!

Cowabunga!

ToTheNines
11-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Hey guys! Rob here from Turtle Flakes podcast! My buddy Josh and I were fortunate enough to snag producer Isaac Elliot-Fisher for a while this morning, and we talked about the original Turtle Power doc and part two. We had a blast!

Here's the link if you would like to give it a listen, my friends: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/turtleflakes/episodes/2016-11-26T15_54_32-08_00

P.S. I hope to start posting a whole lot more this year. It's awesome to see so many passionate TMNT fans discussing all things Turtles!

Cowabunga!

Listening now. Awesome so far. Gonna have to tune in to you guys more frequently.

Turtle Flakes
11-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Listening now. Awesome so far. Gonna have to tune in to you guys more frequently.

Thanks so much for listening! Yeah, it was a blast. Isaac was really generous with his info. I guess what I'm excited for the most, aside from Eastman and Laird returning for this part, but I'm fired up to see some more light shed on the 2003 series and volume 4 of the comics. I was a huge fan of both.

sgtfbomb
11-27-2016, 04:22 PM
The thing I hope for the most with Turtle Power II is that you guys don't forget who your audience is, who is actually going to pay to watch this.

That was my major issue with the first documentary. It felt like there was a drive to get it over with and get it out there and the choices that were made based on what I presume was distributor notes, it seemed the intent changed in order to create a documentary that appealed to the casual Walmart shopper as opposed to die hard fans who had been waiting years for the definitive documentary and would have gladly watched a three hour plus documentary on their favorite franchise. (Not saying it had to be that length)

Pace is just as important in documentary filmmaking as it is in all other forms of storytelling, but when the people who had an active interest in your documentary -- the fans who pre-ordered it, sought it out, and were sold on it since day one; not the Joe Schmoe who, let's be honest, probably bought Trashy Danny Trejo Zombie Film #7: Death of the Brain Cells instead -- experience blanket statements, where the film drops interesting tidbits and factoids only to move on with little to no enlightenment -- then the pace is too fast. That passerby effect is not good for documentaries. It's like having a hamburger with just the buns. Where's the meat?

I mean this constructively. I sensed a great, informative documentary in Turtle Power, but I am still waiting for that documentary. And I hope Part II isn't compromised.

Powder
11-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Viacom made that call, not them. I know where you're coming from & I share the sentiment but I don't think it's at all fair to blame it on Isaac & the others.

sgtfbomb
11-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Viacom made that call, not them. I know where you're coming from & I share the sentiment but I don't think it's at all fair to blame it on Isaac & the others.

I am not blaming them. I even said "what I presume was distributor notes." I figured it was Paramount Home Media and I feared that was going to be the case when that was first announced. I've seen it happen far too often. I am saying I hope Turtle Power II isn't compromised the way the first film was, and I am hoping, praying, pleading that Isaac & company are able to avoid that this time.

I am hoping that Turtle Power II is to Turtle Power I as Crystal Lake Memories is to His Name is Jason. Sadly, I feel like I might have to pre-state this, because one reply in and someone has already gotten the wrong impression with one aspect of my post: I am not saying Turtle Power II should rehash what was covered in the first film nor that it should be 8 hours long.

Powder
11-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I just mean it's a bit harsh to say they forgot who their audience is or whatever when it's out of their hands. I think there's a lot they'd like to say but can't, ya know? It seems pretty clear they were making something for 'drome-tier fans initially. Hopefully the sequel will excel where it's predecessor did not.

sgtfbomb
11-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I just mean it's a bit harsh to say they forgot who their audience is or whatever when it's out of their hands. I think there's a lot they'd like to say but can't, ya know? It seems pretty clear they were making something for 'drome-tier fans initially. Hopefully the sequel will excel where it's predecessor did not.

It's not meant to be harsh. It's just stating the reality of things. Somewhere on the ladder, the decision was made that changed the intent of the documentary. The audience it tried to appeal to and the audience it did appeal to were completely different and that hurt the end result.

I do hope the filmmakers don't get the wrong impression. I am sure Paramount Home Media is to blame. The thing is, though, it is a valid criticism, something that is meant constructively, and something that did affect the first film.

I just hope Paramount Home Media is out of the picture for Turtle Power II and that it is not a forced partnership simply because Viacom has the rights to TMNT and that maybe crowdfunding can help avoid that if it is avoidable at all.

Canadian Turtle
11-28-2016, 10:41 AM
In response to some of your criticisms and concerns regarding the outcome of both the first documentary and the potential outcome of the second, I would like to take a moment to hopefully address some of these and other points that have been made over the years.

First and foremost as filmmakers we know that it is impossible to make everyone happy, no matter what, no matter how hard you try someone will always be disappointed.

I have stated on this forum and many times on other mediums that making these films is not cheap, it is very expensive in both time and money, and I will say it again, this was our own money that we invested. Over the years I excitedly promoted our film on these threads and spoke of many things we captured along our journeys, I am sorry that in my na´vetÚ I may have over promised the release of all that material potentially at once. I think we always knew that these films would need to appeal to a mass audience. Filmmaking is a business and as a business you need to recoup losses and hopefully make some money to live on. Filmmaking is also an art form, and as too many people who work in the creative industries know, we are often asked to deliver that art form for free or very little pay. Believe me I have worked professionally as a freelance cinematographer for over 10 years, I could buy a mansion and six cars for how much work I have done for free. One doesn't ask their plumber to replace their toilet because it will look good on his or her resume. Well at least I will go to my grave with an awesome resume.

I don't mean to complain, I love what I do and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, I am just trying to make a few points and hopefully continue a respectful and constructive dialogue. The points that many of you have raised are perfectly valid, and I would say for the most part delivered respectfully. Even if I do not agree with some of what people are saying I hope we can meet in the middle and see eye to eye on a few points. I will address a few of them specifically here.

The length of these films is often the first thing that the elite fans complain about, they want more than what is there. In a way I will take this as a compliment, as it is always better to leave people wanting more of a good thing. Many of these fans specifically reference long format documentaries such as the ones exploring some of the 80s horror franchises that many of us love. While I do not know any specifics of those productions, and I do agree that TMNT could sustain a long format film or film series, it is a simple game of economics and distribution opportunities. There are simply not enough fans to support a long format release as a stand alone product. There will always need to be a film that as one might say "will be sold in Walmart to random people". The massive costs to produce this content would result in a price tag that I am sure many of you would not be able to pay if we made these films only for the elite fans. When we started these documentaries there were something like 3,000 fans on this forum, even with the 12,000 that are here now, and even if all of those fans bought the film (which will never be the case, it will always be a percentage) it still wouldn't come close to covering the cost of actually making the film.

Part of the problem in this regard is that, as some of you may or may not know the rights for the various turtle medias are spread around between many different parties, most notably the 1990 movie. I can't even tell you what that was like or how expensive it was to even be able include a few seconds of clips and to show you the one deleted scene that we were able to include in the documentary. Another example would be the original cartoon theme song. If you listen carefully, and some of you may have caught it, the version of that song in the documentary is not the original track. For many legal reasons we were told at the very last second after the film had already been delivered that we were not allowed to use that original song. We all felt however that it would be a disservice to the fans to use (as they were suggesting) a completely random and unrelated track in its place. With 10 hours to turn it around we paid a substantial fee to the rights holders for the clearance to re-record the song ourselves, which we did and if you listen carefully that is me singing on the chorus and yelling all the turtle lines like "Give me a break!"

Some people were concerned when I brought up the idea of a crowd funding campaign to support the release of the second film and in doing so would provide an opportunity for any of you to attain the bonus materials that were left out of the first documentary. I think that people felt cheated somehow in that we had promised the release of that material for many years and that it should have been included in the product they already purchased. Where I agree it would have been awesome for it to show up there, the simple reason for it not doing so was time and money. To produce and legally clear the bonus material is still an expensive process that has not been completed yet, so if there wasn't a way to sell that content via a Kickstarter campaign or otherwise, it would't make financial sense to do so. I hope that makes sense.

I am sorry to single you out, but to say that the audience was missed with this film is not accurate. The people that actually paid for this documentary were many hundreds of thousands all around the world who were more than likely casual fans on the street, or people who saw it on Netflix or Hulu, or iTunes or on demand. This is the only way we feel that content like this can exist at a high quality level, and to take years to research and dig for stuff that in many cases non of you have ever seen, no matter how much of a fan you are. I can say with confidence that there was content you could have not known about and could never have seen in that film. I know fandom is a funny thing, believe me, I am also a super fan, so often I hear people say what a movie or a comic book is not or what they want it to be, without saying what it has or it is. While I encourage and even ask you to make suggestions and criticisms, which you have, just remember we can only do our best and sometimes we might not get it right.

Ultimately I think you will find what you are looking for in the extended versions and bonus materials we have ready to polish and release. The "Ultimate Fan Edition" type product would have always been something we would have sold separately from a "more commercial" release of the film. We very much intend on delivering that content in some way and we hope that we would have your support on a crowd funding campaign or something similar when releasing it. There is an awesome story to be shared here, with a ton of rich content that expands and explore the ideas that we started to explore in the first film, bonus materials will do that. Lets work together to get it out there for everyone to enjoy!

Thank you all for your kind help and support over the years, we literally couldn't have done it without you.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
11-29-2016, 08:31 PM
I know I'll get most people pissed about this, even when it's not my intention. I'm just blunt...for better or worse. It's why I rarely post on any parts of htis forum anymore. This is just from the 'other perspective'.

It wasn't about 'not pleasing everybody'. And it seems 99% of the people who say it enjoyed it (I was part of the 1%). It's just that to some of us, it's about building something up for 5 or 6 years with repeated postings about 'this' and 'that' onto the forum...and I very much doubt that most of them (including the 99% of the people who did enjoy the doc) thought it was going to be something that was just 'mainly for casual fans'.

And when you do 5 or 6 years of teases (whether by seeing the 'not as much as you think, but deleted scenes from the 1990 movie' or 'interviewing this guy and that guy' which never got featured) and build-up...a bare bones 80 minute DVD where at least 70% of the history is missing, certain folks are in it as long as a hiccup (Rob Paulsen, for example, or Ernie Reyes Jr.) while others are confusingly not even thought up in an attempt to interview (Voice Actors for the Turtles in the 1990 movie) is not what some (I can't speak for all) people thought it was going to be.

And yes, I still remember the Private PM we shared with each other. I get that you guys were, at the end of it, rushed.

The more I think about it, it just seems you guys got fu*cked over with no lube by the studio releasing it...Paramount didn't want to give you guys the help, no money, no thought process by higher ups to 'do it justice' but just release it quick enough for the release of the 2014 flick...hell, Paramount ultimately just put it for free on Youtube on their Paramount Vault (not even making people pay for it to rent it, just releasing it for free). It just shows that Paramount doesn't care.

Which is more than likely the 'want of crowdfunding' to produce it.

Speaking for the 1% who didn't care for it, they would go 'if this was a definitive history of the characters, which was the title of it...then why is there a Part 2?'

Despite what other people on the forums/comments will say in the future (I can see it coming), it's nothing personal. Isaac's always been nice.

I just don't see the whole 'extended/full/uber-decked version/sequel/whatever it is' after the previous '5-6 year wait of disappointment'...people can call me cynical, or an ass, or whatever people want to say...

But it felt like I was fooled the first time. And the 1% just don't care to be fooled again. That's pretty much it. Anyway, good luck and take care.

d_osborn
11-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Speaking for the 1% who didn't care for it, they would go 'if this was a definitive history of the characters, which was the title of it...then why is there a Part 2?'

There's really no way to properly cover the entire franchise history in a single 90-minute doc. I felt the doc crew did a great job covering the areas they did. Nothing really felt super rushed. There was a lot of new stuff for the hardcore fans to chew through. No complaints here.

I'm sure they could've slapped together a four-hour doc with a rough, bare-bones edit. Quality, not quantity. Multiple volumes is the way to go. The production values were awesome in the first doc-- it looked REALLY cool. That stuff takes time and money. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Canadian Turtle
11-30-2016, 03:43 AM
Thanks guys, and Matt, as much as we don't see eye to eye I appreciate your feedback and you've always respected us, so no hard feelings here. I thank you for your honesty.

Ultimately you are both right, it is very expensive to produce this and we didn't get any help in that regard. Just to follow up on one point in particular the deleted scenes that exist are 1) not many, there really isn't much that was cut from the 1990 film, and I only have about 60% of the films dailies to pull from, the alleged VHS of the directors cut never surfaced. 2) The cost per minute to release that content is staggering, so we could really only afford to put out as much as we did. I wish we could have shared more.

Vegita-San
11-30-2016, 07:11 AM
I know I'll get most people pissed about this, even when it's not my intention. I'm just blunt...for better or worse. It's why I rarely post on any parts of htis forum anymore. This is just from the 'other perspective'.

It wasn't about 'not pleasing everybody'. And it seems 99% of the people who say it enjoyed it (I was part of the 1%). It's just that to some of us, it's about building something up for 5 or 6 years with repeated postings about 'this' and 'that' onto the forum...and I very much doubt that most of them (including the 99% of the people who did enjoy the doc) thought it was going to be something that was just 'mainly for casual fans'.

And when you do 5 or 6 years of teases (whether by seeing the 'not as much as you think, but deleted scenes from the 1990 movie' or 'interviewing this guy and that guy' which never got featured) and build-up...a bare bones 80 minute DVD where at least 70% of the history is missing, certain folks are in it as long as a hiccup (Rob Paulsen, for example, or Ernie Reyes Jr.) while others are confusingly not even thought up in an attempt to interview (Voice Actors for the Turtles in the 1990 movie) is not what some (I can't speak for all) people thought it was going to be.

This is pretty much how ifelt.

I remember SUCH a big build up to the 80s cast reunion... and then it was in the film for, what, barely a minute? and I don't even think they let everyone talk.

While i have no doubt paramount cares little to put ANY Effort into TMNT these days, as those new movies proved..

it IS a case of fool me once...

sgtfbomb
11-30-2016, 12:07 PM
I remember SUCH a big build up to the 80s cast reunion... and then it was in the film for, what, barely a minute? and I don't even think they let everyone talk.

This is what I meant by the passerby effect and is the exact area I think of when I think it could have used more. I wasn't talking about running time -- in fact, I even said that in my second post.

The success of those horror documentaries was not the length. It was how they chose to cover what they did. Equally. If something was mentioned, it wasn't dropped in the next moment. It was discussed. The length of the 1492 documentaries comes from the fact thatchy chose to cover the entirety of those franchises.

So, when I mention those documentaries, I mean to reference how un-superficial they were.

And, constructively, I think the biggest factor was the choice to cover the Shells rock tour. Don't get me wrong, I am intrigued by that and I am glad you guys covered it. But that to me is something that belongs in the "Ultimate Fan Edition" mentioned earlier. I feel like that screen time could have gone to the meat and potatoes, the trio of major topics: the original comic, the cartoon, and the original movie.

Canadian Turtle
11-30-2016, 01:50 PM
And, constructively, I think the biggest factor was the choice to cover the Shells rock tour. Don't get me wrong, I am intrigued by that and I am glad you guys covered it. But that to me is something that belongs in the "Ultimate Fan Edition" mentioned earlier. I feel like that screen time could have gone to the meat and potatoes, the trio of major topics: the original comic, the cartoon, and the original movie.

You make a really good point. I think we would have had more room for details on specific topics if we had of not included certain things like the live tour, and like you say that section wasn't for you and you would have preferred more of something else. At the same time someone else might really enjoy that content about the live tour and want more of that. It is a tough choice to try and make everyone happy and include as much as we can in the space that was dictated to us. We were informed that we had to make it a very specific length.

We did capture a ton of footage from the voice cast reunion, and I did enthusiastically talk about it after it happened. It was hard to remove as much as we did, and as much as it is something we all love, we could only fit so much in. This is why a bonus feature where we release all of that content edited as a stand alone piece would be really cool, along with as much of the other content as we can include without having to pay through the nose.

pferreira
12-01-2016, 08:24 AM
We did capture a ton of footage from the voice cast reunion, and I did enthusiastically talk about it after it happened. It was hard to remove as much as we did, and as much as it is something we all love, we could only fit so much in. I have to say I was horrified in one of your previous posts where you said the theme song was so expensive you had to still pay a large amount to re-record it. It's not your fault at all, you have to put up with licencing clips and music but it's cases like this where I find it incredibly sad Paramount, Nick or another company can't put up money to help you with those problems. I remember watching a documentary on Space Precinct and they weren't able to use any clips from the series because the cost exceeded their budget. It's crazy using clips costs so much.

sgtfbomb
12-01-2016, 09:48 AM
I have to say I was horrified in one of your previous posts where you said the theme song was so expensive you had to still pay a large amount to re-record it. It's not your fault at all, you have to put up with licencing clips and music but it's cases like this where I find it incredibly sad Paramount, Nick or another company can't put up money to help you with those problems. I remember watching a documentary on Space Precinct and they weren't able to use any clips from the series because the cost exceeded their budget. It's crazy using clips costs so much.

Royalties and legal issues. There is a phrase for that, however I can't say it here. But I can say the first word is "Cluster."

d_osborn
12-01-2016, 12:10 PM
There is a phrase for that, however I can't say it here. But I can say the first word is "Cluster."
Coming from a user that goes by sgtfbomb! :lol: Always thought it was a fun username.

slaysghosts
01-06-2017, 11:12 PM
I bought turtle power day 1.

I have not read all 9 pages of this thread.

I did follow the huge build up to the release. I appreciate the endless and continuos effort going into it.

In hindsight, my opinion and thoughts are this:

You and your crew did too much work in too many areas to ever please one tmnt crowd, group, or fanbase in it's entirety without being able to release these in volumes by category/mediums.
ie.
volume one conception/comic
volume two cartoon
volume three barron movie
ect ect

or something of the like.

I say that b/c you did do the work to please these fanbases in their entirety. Either way, godspeed with where this is and can go. Again, you and your crew did more than anyone else before you, thank you...we just want to see so much more.

Venom
01-07-2017, 08:47 AM
"Turtle Power" really would make for an awesome 8 or 10-part documentary miniseries on Netflix!

Nearly a decade or so spent accumulating stories and history, and tons more of us out there that will willingly share our hidden collections and such, would make for a fantastic series to watch!

MathUser
01-23-2017, 06:49 AM
I got the first one on ppv when it came out. I wish one of the movie channels would buy the rights to it like they did the superman lives and atari landfill docs.

mikezilla2
02-03-2017, 08:11 AM
so ah when is part two ment to hit and thro what platform ?

cant relly think of anything to cover atm but maybe things we simply dont know or little kown facts like the OVA that never came out in english .......

dragonside
02-03-2017, 06:33 PM
all i gotta say is keep it up guys. I think it would be awesome to see some of the lesser known things in the franchise in addition to celebrating what a lot of people grew up with.

AquaParade
02-19-2017, 10:56 AM
I was just rereading the comics journal interview with Kevin Easthan, where he goes over the early days of Mirage Studios, the writers and artists they worked with, and trying to get a handle on running Mirage during such a crazy period.

Absolutely fascinating and I would love it if volume 2 was able to focus more on this. Interviews with the whole Mirage Crew would be as definitive as it gets.

Canadian Turtle
03-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Hello everyone, sorry for the long silence. We are hitting the road again this month to wrap up our Masters of the Universe documentary AND capture more stuff for Turtle Power Volume II. We are shifting focus to the TPVol2 doc now that Power the Grayskull is through the first round of editing and will likely be hitting the airways later this year. Thanks for sticking with us for so many years, we are very excited to share more content with you all! Stay tuned!!

ToTheNines
03-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Good to hear! So 2018 is probably looking like a best case scenario for a release date?

DestronMirage22
03-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Can't wait! I really enjoyed the 1st one. :)

Canadian Turtle
03-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Good to hear! So 2018 is probably looking like a best case scenario for a release date?

To be honest we are aiming for this year, but you're not wrong in your assumption, it can take a long time to put these together. We are getting faster at it though ;)

ToTheNines
03-21-2017, 07:38 PM
To be honest we are aiming for this year, but you're not wrong in your assumption, it can take a long time to put these together. We are getting faster at it though ;)

Cool man, the sooner the better! I'll be the first donor once y'all get that kickstarter running if it helps expedite this baby.

sgtfbomb
03-22-2017, 12:07 AM
it can take a long time to put these together. )

Ain't that the truth. I've been waiting for a Ghostbusters documentary that has been in the works for close to a decade. It's now going to be two documentaries, each one focusing on each movie, which is awesome. But I am not expecting to come out for another year or two or three.

There's also documentaries on RoboCop and Gremlins, as well as another called Frankenstein Complex, all of which I have been waiting on for a while now. (Though I think the last one is finished and just hasn't made its way to the US yet.)

But I think patience can pay off with better quality.

d_osborn
03-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Can't wait to see both MOTU and TP2 docs! The MOTU doc trailer is really cool. I have another big bundle of TMNT stuff I need to send your way. Hopefully the last batch will be of use.

Ain't that the truth. I've been waiting for a Ghostbusters documentary that has been in the works for close to a decade. It's now going to be two documentaries, each one focusing on each movie, which is awesome. But I am not expecting to come out for another year or two or three.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm a Producer on the GB doc and am handling a ton of post-production work-- motion graphics, archival, some editing. It's coming along great, and yes... in this case, more time, better quality. It'll be well worth the wait. :D

TheCanadiandrome
03-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Hello everyone, sorry for the long silence. We are hitting the road again this month to wrap up our Masters of the Universe documentary AND capture more stuff for Turtle Power Volume II. We are shifting focus to the TPVol2 doc now that Power the Grayskull is through the first round of editing and will likely be hitting the airways later this year. Thanks for sticking with us for so many years, we are very excited to share more content with you all! Stay tuned!!

So awesome man can't wait

sgtfbomb
03-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm a Producer on the GB doc and am handling a ton of post-production work-- motion graphics, archival, some editing. It's coming along great, and yes... in this case, more time, better quality. It'll be well worth the wait. :D

That's awesome to hear. I have been looking forward to that for years. Suffice to say, I'm pre-ordering as soon as I can.:)

pferreira
03-23-2017, 09:19 AM
But I am not expecting to come out for another year or two or three. A bit of it was screened already. From what I understand editing on the first doc is complete.

sgtfbomb
03-23-2017, 11:00 AM
A bit of it was screened already. From what I understand editing on the first doc is complete.

From my understanding, a version of it has been screened at least a couple times. But I thought that it was the original version that was one documentary and since then they decided to go break it into two documentaries, which I think was a fantastic idea since they'll be able to cover more ground on each film without worrying as much about running time, as a documentary covering both films would run into. Something that Turtle Power ran into.

I'm worried about the Gremlins doc. There haven't been any updates in a long time. I also wish someone would do a documentary on the original Poltergeist, someone who wouldn't get caught up on the curse or directing controversy.

d_osborn
03-23-2017, 12:35 PM
From my understanding, a version of it has been screened at least a couple times.
There was an early 13-minute preview that screened at a few conventions last year, which was also sent out to Kickstarter backers a month or so ago. The preview was cut before I joined the team, so it looks quite a bit different now. The first hour of the first doc was screened for distributors a few weeks back.

On the Poltergeist thing, there's a REALLY in-depth fan site with a ton of making-of stuff. I agree, it would make for a pretty cool doc. Edlund used a lot of the techniques that he learned on Poltergeist for the GB FX.

sgtfbomb
03-24-2017, 09:58 AM
On the Poltergeist thing, there's a REALLY in-depth fan site with a ton of making-of stuff. I agree, it would make for a pretty cool doc. Edlund used a lot of the techniques that he learned on Poltergeist for the GB FX.

Dave Furtney's site? I used to own a Poltergeist site myself, Poltergeist Online. His was way better, far more informative, and had interviews. He did a pair of commentaries for Scream Factory's release of the sequels.

pferreira
03-30-2017, 08:37 AM
There was an early 13-minute preview that screened at a few conventions last year, which was also sent out to Kickstarter backers a month or so ago. The preview was cut before I joined the team, so it looks quite a bit different now. You worked on the upcoming Ghostbusters doc by the Buenos? What did you do?

d_osborn
03-30-2017, 12:35 PM
You worked on the upcoming Ghostbusters doc by the Buenos? What did you do?
Yep-- still working on it, in fact. Archival material, motion graphics, some edit work.

pferreira
04-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Yep-- still working on it, in fact. Archival material, motion graphics, some edit work.Cool. What are the Buenos like to work with?

Canadian Turtle
04-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Hey all! Rand and I are back on the road wrapping up a few interviews for our MOTU doc. We are also grabbing TP2 interviews while we are out here. Just yesterday we had a great chat with Kevin Monroe, check out pictures on our TP2 Facebook group. https://m.facebook.com/turtlepower2/

marcelangelo
04-07-2017, 12:50 PM
hey pretty koool!the time with the tmnt movie and the 2k3 series was a pretty interesting one in my opinion, looking forward to the second part!as well as to the he-man doc!

Canadian Turtle
04-09-2017, 05:48 PM
For all of those people hoping we cover 2k3 this round check this out! We followed up with Lloyd Goldfine after 8 years since our last interview with him. This interview will support the content we collected at 4kids studios way back when, we look forward to sharing some of this content with all of you in Volume II of Turtle Power.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn197/elliott_fisher/IMG_7887_zpsms3ljlvv.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/elliott_fisher/media/IMG_7887_zpsms3ljlvv.jpg.html)

MikeandRaph87
04-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Cowabunga says it all! Looking forward to hearing what Lloyd has to say!

Here is to hoping for a 2017 release as well.

Redmage1987
05-21-2017, 03:14 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. Are you accepting any fan submissions? I have a short video clip of me singing the 1987 theme song whenever I was three years old that I'd love to send your way.

ToTheNines
06-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Oh man, totally missed your Lloyd Goldfine post, such great news!

Canadian Turtle
06-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Hey hey people of the drone. We are back on the road again!! Check out the progress over at the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/turtlepower2/posts/654778271385707:0

Canadian Turtle
07-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Hey! This panel sounds fun! WE SHOULD ALL GO! "Fandom on Film: Deep Dive Docs the FauxPop Way" @Comic_Con #SDCC Saturday night at the Marriott, North Tower, Room Pacific 23. 7:15 pm to 8:20 pm.

Also we are now moving all of our docs to one Facebook page, come check us out: https://m.facebook.com/definitivefilm

Faster and Cheaper
07-16-2017, 08:42 AM

I remember these days. Well sort of, this work is so all consuming, I only noticed you guys running around because Tony sent out an email and I think we were introduced to you guys during a screening :lol:

Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Panther10
07-16-2017, 12:57 PM
This is probably the first time I've run across this thread so here are my two cents:

The next volume should follow the same formula as the first one. (i.e. comics, toys, various shows and movies) So I'm thinking that the main topics should include the brief Image comics run, The Next Mutation, the 2k3 toon/Fast Forward/BTTS, Turtles 2k7, Turtles Forever, the 2k3 toyline, 2k3-2k7 video games and finally the NECA/Mirage toys.

The 2012 toon, IDW volumes, OOTS and Mutants in Manhattan video games, NECA convention exclusives, the 1/4 scale turtles and finally the new live action films and beyond should be saved for Turtle Power III

Canadian Turtle
07-18-2017, 07:10 PM
We are doing our best to cover as much as we can for sure!

We will have some exclusive content and sneak peeks at our SDCC panel on staturday! I encourage any tmnt fans going to con to come out!

https://www.facebook.com/definitivefilm/posts/404452213282094

swing_kinker
07-18-2017, 09:16 PM
As much as I enjoy his positive disposition I would like to hear genuinely from Eastman about the iterations that disappointed him or that he felt negatively about.

eskater
07-31-2017, 02:54 PM
"Turtle Power" really would make for an awesome 8 or 10-part documentary miniseries on Netflix!

Nearly a decade or so spent accumulating stories and history, and tons more of us out there that will willingly share our hidden collections and such, would make for a fantastic series to watch!

YES TO ALL OF THIS! :tsmile:

AquaParade
07-31-2017, 03:23 PM
I think it's great that your team is making Turtle Power II. I'll definitely buy a copy.

I'd just like to say that I hope to see as much comic book related material as possible. Mirage, Image, IDW espectially!

massakre
08-02-2017, 07:32 PM
We are doing our best to cover as much as we can for sure!

We will have some exclusive content and sneak peeks at our SDCC panel on staturday! I encourage any tmnt fans going to con to come out!

https://www.facebook.com/definitivefilm/posts/404452213282094

Did anyone get to check this out?

d_osborn
08-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Did anyone get to check this out?
I've been curious about this, as well. Anyone get video?!

Canadian Turtle
08-12-2017, 06:22 AM
I've been curious about this, as well. Anyone get video?!

To be honest with you we were in a bad time slot in a seperate building, so not a lot of people found us. It was actually kinda hard to find. I think most tmnt fans were with Kevin for his pizza party which so happened to be at the same time. Ah well, we've had good panels in the past at con and will likely have good ones again. Those who found us had lots of fun though.

This week the edit has really taken shape on Vol II, lots of awesome stuff to share and hopefully if all goes well lots of bonus stuff to share that we didn't get a chance to share last time. No promises, but we will always try our best!

ToTheNines
08-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Any idea on release date yet?