PDA

View Full Version : Good-Bye DC Comics!!! it's been real!

myconius
04-03-2016, 12:23 AM
having been a loyal fan of DC Comics for years now iíve been tolerant to so many disappointments, but lately theyíve been really pushing it!

but as Pop-Eye once said - ďTHATíS ALLS I CAN STANDS, AND I CANíT STANDS NO MORE!Ē

these mandatory one-shot tie-ins, mini-series, and cross-over after cross-overÖ.

itíd be one thing if they were actually good? but poorly put together stories, and substandard art,
the quality at DC has gone right down the toilet!!!
(anyone whoís read DCís ĎConvergenceí last year knows EXACTLY what iím talking about.)
Convergence was supposed to be a real game changer, yet it accomplished absolutely nothing except duping all the long-time fans.

DCís latest hoodwink of weekly comics has hit new lows as far as poor over-all quality!

which brings me to the final nail in the coffin - DCís move to go Bi-Weekly with Rebirth.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/21/dc-comics-to-make-their-comic-books-go-bi-weekly/
http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-rebirth-news-details/
http://insidepulse.com/2016/03/28/all-dc-comics-rebirth-spoilers-surprises-secrets-full-dc-rebirth-june-2016-solicitations-beyond-with-checklist-cover-art-creative-teams-more/

while this is not new at all, the reality of a closing dead-line has forced me to make a difficult (yet logical) choice of dropping my DC books.

the bulk of the DC titles i was buying will now be shipping twice a month, not being able to afford this expense i considered dropping just a few books.

but looking over the solicitations http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-june-highlights-rebirth-arrives-action-detective-renumbering-more

NONE of it looks AT ALL appealing to me!!!!! i wouldnít want to buy any of these pitches once a month let alone TWICE!!!

maybe i could have found just one or two books to stick with? but i know all too well they canít help but screw things up!

so aside from a few creator-owned mini-series, the only two on-going comic tiles on my pull-list are (IDW) Tmnt and Tmnt Amazing Adventures. (and to think i almost dropped Amazing Adventures a few months back?)

itís going to be weird not having as many books to read on Wednesday, but i wonít get duped into buying rushed substandard comics anymore.

oh well, at least i still have my classics to re-read?

ZariusTwo
04-03-2016, 02:43 AM
Sensible thing for your wallet mate. If the quality of the premises doesn't appeal to you, it's best not to invest. Give independent titles a try.

I don't buy much DC books and I don't Marvel books anymore either, I just read them on 4chan's storytime threads.

Powder
04-03-2016, 04:39 AM
Indie's definitely the way to go.

Commenter 42
04-03-2016, 04:41 AM

What are you reading right now? (Indies I mean)

myconius
04-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Sensible thing for your wallet mate. If the quality of the premises doesn't appeal to you, it's best not to invest. Give independent titles a try.

I don't buy much DC books and I don't Marvel books anymore either, I just read them on 4chan's storytime threads.

yeah, you've probably heard me say before, that i'd given up on collecting Marvel Long ago?
but i do look for anything Mark Millar writes, even though he sometimes publishes under under Marvel's 'Icon' label.
i really enjoyed 'Super Crooks' as well as 'Nemesis'. and i don't really recall who published Garth Ennis's 'Red Rover Charlie'? but that also was a lot of fun!

Grant Morrison also writes some great stuff! 'WE3' is among my favorites!
but i'm still not sure just what they heck 'Nameless' was about? :lol:

but now that i won't be bogged down with too many DC titles i can finally give Grant Morrison's 18 Days a proper read? :)

as soon as DC announced their greedy little plan to pilfer all over their fan's wallets, my first inclination was to drop everything and just call it a day!

but when you're already so deeply invested in SO many stories, it's so hard to turn away from that! it's almost like cutting off all communication from a friend. it's a bit hurtful!
BUT if that friend is secretly a "frenemy" that's just using you and taking advantage, then you really have no choice but to get out of that destructive relationship.

and i've seen first have just how awful DC's weekly comics were!
as bad as their comics have gotten, i truly believe they are about to get a WHOLE lot worse!

yeah, i don't know if they really count as Independent? but i try to look for creator owned mini-series that seem like the writer truly had an inspired idea.

some of the biggest problems with with BOTH Marvel and DC Comics is it doesn't feel like a creation of passion or inspiration.
their motivation just seems very greed oriented to me.
but i left Marvel many years ago as well as DC for the very reason i'm about to drop DC again for.

What are you reading right now? (Indies I mean)

i'm not sure if this is truly an independent or not?
but i've recently fallen in love with this series by French creator Jean-Francois Di Giorgio called Samurai.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54797

some criticize the story for not being overly original.
but what's really left that's original these days anyway?
it's all been done at some point before?

but if you enjoy a good Martial Arts story, that one is a LOT of fun! :D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-03-2016, 09:55 AM
I'd still check out the monthly Scott Snyder Batman title... we can probably count on that being decent. That's my plan, anyway...

Oh, and Red Hood. NOT. :tlol:

myconius
04-03-2016, 10:08 AM
I'd still check out the monthly Scott Snyder Batman title... we can probably count on that being decent. That's my plan, anyway...

Oh, and Red Hood. NOT. :tlol:

i was going to get the Snyder Batman but i've decided to just wait for any collected editions IF i do get anything?
the paper stock they use for their comics is crud anyway.

plus by that time there will be plenty of reviews out.

the biggest problem is comics just don't hold any value these days!

sure you may get lucky here and there? but hype only lives for so long before people find another bandwagon to hop on.

New 52 Detective Comics #1 used to sell like hot-cakes!!!

now you can't GIVE them away!!!! :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-03-2016, 10:14 AM
i was going to get the Snyder Batman but i've decided to just wait for any collected editions IF i do get anything?
the paper stock they use for their comics is crud anyway.

plus by that time there will be plenty of reviews out.

the biggest problem is comics just don't hold any value these days!

sure you may get lucky here and there? but hype only lives for so long before people find another bandwagon to hop on.

New 52 Detective Comics #1 used to sell like hot-cakes!!!

now you can't GIVE them away!!!! :lol:

New 52 Detective Comics had SOME storylines I liked. I loved the Poison Ivy/Clayface story. Also the "Emperor Penguin" story. Other than that... yeah, that was it for me.

Now, New 52 The Dark Knight was just the worst. THE WORST. Not one good story.

myconius
04-03-2016, 10:35 AM
New 52 Detective Comics had SOME storylines I liked. I loved the Poison Ivy/Clayface story. Also the "Emperor Penguin" story. Other than that... yeah, that was it for me.

Now, New 52 The Dark Knight was just the worst. THE WORST. Not one good story.

holy cow was New 52 The Dark Knight a stinky steaming pile!!!! :lol:

i found the Emperor Penguin mildly entertaining at first, but it just became a bit silly after a while.

the Wrath story seemed interesting? but i don't know if i was just dazzled by the pretty art???

gothtopia was rubbish!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-03-2016, 11:16 AM
holy cow was New 52 The Dark Knight a stinky steaming pile!!!! :lol:

i found the Emperor Penguin mildly entertaining at first, but it just became a bit silly after a while.

the Wrath story seemed interesting? but i don't know if i was just dazzled by the pretty art???

gothtopia was rubbish!

Emperor Penguin became rubbish when Ogilvey or whatever his name was turned into a supermutant. That was just dumb... if he had stayed human, it would have been much more interesting.

But Clayface and Poison Ivy as husband and wife (or are they) was just amazing. I wish we could have gotten an entire TPB's worth of issues out of that idea.

Wrath was a little too paint-by-numbers for me... it was okay but forgettable.

Gothtopia was indeed stinking festering rubbish.

myconius
04-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Emperor Penguin became rubbish when Ogilvey or whatever his name was turned into a supermutant. That was just dumb... if he had stayed human, it would have been much more interesting.

But Clayface and Poison Ivy as husband and wife (or are they) was just amazing. I wish we could have gotten an entire TPB's worth of issues out of that idea.

Wrath was a little too paint-by-numbers for me... it was okay but forgettable.

Gothtopia was indeed stinking festering rubbish.

hahaha!! yeah! Ovaltine or whatever his name was should have never turned in a big blue member of the X-Men!! :lol:

i liked the idea of him stealing everything from Penguin, but it was a little too easy. plus he rose to power way too quick and why wouldn't one of the other guys just do him in and steal the main seat?

i did really like the poison ivy clayface story! i liked that clayface much better than what Scott Snyder did by making clayface way too powerful being able to read DNA, and then we forgot ALL about that ability next time we see clayface!

that's one of my biggest problems with the New 52 over all, is they dump it ALL out on the table and then there's NOTHING left!
they burned it all out too quickly! everything had to be SO dire, SO epic ......SO cliched! :lol:

wrath was extremely paint by numbers!!! i can't even remember how it ended!

unfortunately i CAN remember how Gothtopia ended!!! but i wish that i couldn't! :lol:

TonySiegel
04-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Hopefully the first months stuff is good I have alot of those books reserved... don't know how long it'll take me to get through them though... damm you father time!

MikeandRaph87
04-04-2016, 11:29 AM
I will continue with Green Lantern and Batgirl in the two books next volume. I will admit though the best stuff I read is outside of mainstream DC and Marvel. IDW's TMNT, Marvel's Star Wars, DC's Batman'66 are the best books in the last few years and none are mainstream big two.

myconius
04-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Hopefully the first months stuff is good I have alot of those books reserved... don't know how long it'll take me to get through them though... damm you father time!

at first i was thinking about just going with a few select titles at first. but there was absolutely no titles that i was 100% happy with the solicitations.
so i decided to just leave it.

I will continue with Green Lantern and Batgirl in the two books next volume. I will admit though the best stuff I read is outside of mainstream DC and Marvel. IDW's TMNT, Marvel's Star Wars, DC's Batman'66 are the best books in the last few years and none are mainstream big two.

before the New 52 i used to just buy the batman and gotham related books.
once they did the relaunch i was subscribe to --

* action comics * aquaman * batgirl * batman * batman & robin * batman dark knight * batwing * batwoman * birds of prey * catwoman * dc presents * detective comics * flash * green arrow * green lantern * green lantern corps * green lantern new guardians * justice league * justice league international * nightwing * red hood * red lanterns * resurrection man * savage hawkman * suicide squad * superboy * supergirl * superman * swamp thing * teen titans * wonder woman
and like 5 other titles that i dropped after 2 or 3 issues.

over time it dwindled down to --

* action comics * batgirl * batman * batman & robin eternal * batman/superman * batman '66 * catwoman * detective comics * grayson * justice league * jla * robin son of batman * superman * superman lois & clark * superman/wonder woman * swamp thing * wonder woman

and now i've got the last few issues of Batman/Tmnt, Grayson, Robin, Lois & Clark * Swamp Thing * Batman Issue #51 and i'm done with DC.

and the only reason i'm buying Batman 51 is because of Greg Capullo!!!

aside from IDW Tmnt and the Nick Tmnt comic i have a few minis series i'm buying -- Grant Morrison's 18 Days * Klaus * Huck * Samurai

those have been really excellent so far!! especially Samurai by Titan Comics!

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/160/481/i02/Samurai_1_cover_Genet.jpg?1449874018

what really is the funniest thing is DC Comics was making up the bulk of my comic spending!!
but those were the ones i was enjoying the LEAST!!!

i thought about reading reviews and maybe waiting for the trades on some of this rebirth stuff?

but i just know it's not going to be worth the time or money! especially since they are dumb enough to be abusing their creative teams with double ships!

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/4-08-2015/C1DL32.gif

MikeandRaph87
04-04-2016, 03:20 PM
When the New 52 set in I dropped Batman and Detective Comics. I was enjoying the run and then it jus stopped. Leviathan Strikes! still did not wrap it all up. I have not read a Batman or Detective Comics ongoing issue since #713 and 881 came out respectively.

myconius
04-04-2016, 03:45 PM
When the New 52 set in I dropped Batman and Detective Comics. I was enjoying the run and then it jus stopped. Leviathan Strikes! still did not wrap it all up. I have not read a Batman or Detective Comics ongoing issue since #713 and 881 came out respectively.

'Leviathan Strikes' was just the segment in-between (Pre-Flashpoint) Batman Inc #8 and (New 52) Batman Inc #1.

if i'm remembering the article i read about it correctly 'Leviathan Strikes' was originally supposed to be Batman Inc issues #9 & #10, and (New 52) Batman Inc should have actually been issue #11 (and so on)

but that whole stupid New 52 reboot postponed Batman Inc and had it renumbered.

the same exact thing happened with Neal Adams 'Batman Odyssey.
all of this proves is that DC has idiots running the show!!!

how is a casual comic reader supposed to understand any of this garbage with renumbering?

you did wise to drop New 52 'Batman' and 'Detective Comics'!!!!!

the first arc with Batman was decent at first but overstayed it's welcome.
that whole story with the Joker cutting his face off was beyond asinine!!!

don't even get me started on 'Zero Year'!!!

and Detective comics was just trash since the start!!!
the art was pretty! but actually reading the comics could cause severe brain damage! that's partly why i am the way i am today!!! :lol:

CyberCubed
04-04-2016, 03:49 PM
The only comics I read are TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2016, 03:59 PM
'Leviathan Strikes' was just the segment in-between (Pre-Flashpoint) Batman Inc #8 and (New 52) Batman Inc #1.

if i'm remembering the article i read about it correctly 'Leviathan Strikes' was originally supposed to be Batman Inc issues #9 & #10, and (New 52) Batman Inc should have actually been issue #11 (and so on)

how is a casual comic reader supposed to understand any of this garbage with renumbering?

the art was pretty! but actually reading the comics could cause severe brain damage! that's partly why i am the way i am today!!! :lol:

Okay, 2 things. :tgrin:

#1. I will take the worst stories of the New 52 (Red Hood by Scott Lobdell) over Batman Odyssey any day. ANY. DAY. Odyssey is beyond garbage, it's intellectual carnage.

#2. I loved Death of the Family (avoiding most of the crossover issues, however, because too much) and Zero Year was a'ight. I liked the Red Hood Gang and Doctor Death, just not Riddler. Riddler was too over-the-top... I prefer a more grounded Riddler. The only thing Scott Snyder has done with Batman that I don't like are the "Superheavy" story and making James Gordon Jr a monster.

PangolinFeets
04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm on a break from most superhero comics. They just haven't appealed to me much lately.
I pick up TMNT, Saga, The Wicked and the Divine, Shutter, Nailbiter, and Rat Queens. Lots of good stories out there.

myconius
04-04-2016, 04:16 PM

you are a wise comic reader CyberCubed San.

https://45.media.tumblr.com/6668505eeb8a048cb78f234feac8a2d8/tumblr_n52wtzBYfB1sy9h8yo1_500.gif

Okay, 2 things. :tgrin:

#1. I will take the worst stories of the New 52 (Red Hood by Scott Lobdell) over Batman Odyssey any day. ANY. DAY. Odyssey is beyond garbage, it's intellectual carnage.

#2. I loved Death of the Family (avoiding most of the crossover issues, however, because too much) and Zero Year was a'ight. I liked the Red Hood Gang and Doctor Death, just not Riddler. Riddler was too over-the-top... I prefer a more grounded Riddler. The only thing Scott Snyder has done with Batman that I don't like are the "Superheavy" story and making James Gordon Jr a monster.

hahahaha!!! Lobdell??? that's cold!!!! :lol:
now if you'd had said Ann Nocentti, i'd have been like DAAAAAYYYYYMMMM!!!! :lol:

ok! i'll admit the writing for Odyssey was most definitely digested hotdogs left 3 weeks in the summer sun!
but i found the art to be absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
sure there were some bits where the inking was a bit messy, but the pencils were beautiful!!

i thought i enjoyed death of the family till i recently tried to re-read it.
Scott Snyder puts in WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much coma inducing dialog!!
the only thing i liked about Zero Year was the Red Hood Gang, after that it was just too much exposition and back and forth for me to want to pay attention to.

that Riddler stuff though.....SO silly!!! especially the giant rock being held by a single thread??? :lol:
i would have liked Zero Year better had Batman snapped Riddler's neck ala BvS style!!! :lol:

UHG!!!! Super Heavy!!!!!! ......Robo-Gordon!!!!! :x
..... it just seems like they were both sick to death of being on the main Batman book, and were trying to get kicked off the series?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2016, 04:17 PM
I'm on a break from most superhero comics. They just haven't appealed to me much lately.
I pick up TMNT, Saga, The Wicked and the Divine, Shutter, Nailbiter, and Rat Queens. Lots of good stories out there.

Oh yeah; Saga, Nailbiter, Rat Queens... those are all awesome.

Check out "Postal", too; that's some good stuff. And "Chew", LOVE "Chew."

myconius
04-04-2016, 04:19 PM

i think the problem with most Superhero comics is it's ALL quantity and ZERO Quality!!!

you may find some decent stories here and there?
but mostly you'll be lucky you can read it once let alone many times?

i'll have to check some of those series you mentioned out. :)

myconius
04-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah; Saga, Nailbiter, Rat Queens... those are all awesome.

Check out "Postal", too; that's some good stuff. And "Chew", LOVE "Chew."

been hearing very good things about chew!!!

i also read The Walking Dead.

but i sold all my books and converted to digital for that series. :D

Andrew NDB
04-04-2016, 04:28 PM
I've been completely done with DC for about a year now. I may check in when this "Rebirth" business happens just to see if they've learned their lesson... but it's the exact same f*cktards holding the reins as have been in charge for every crap decision of the past 10 years so I have absolutely no faith that they have.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2016, 04:33 PM
i think the problem with most Superhero comics is it's ALL quantity and ZERO Quality!!!

you may find some decent stories here and there?
but mostly you'll be lucky you can read it once let alone many times?

i'll have to check some of those series you mentioned out. :)

I most highly recommend "Chew"... it's my absolute favorite. "Rat Queens" is second favorite, and is not my absolute simply because creative changes led to a drop in quality. Still better than anything from DC or Marvel, though...

I've been completely done with DC for about a year now. I may check in when this "Rebirth" business happens just to see if they've learned their lesson... but it's the exact same f*cktards holding the reins as have been in charge for every crap decision of the past 10 years so I have absolutely no faith that they have.

It's like the big two of comics occasionally release good stories only by accident. :tlol:

MikeandRaph87
04-04-2016, 04:42 PM

I feel that the New 52 was a perfect jump off point not on point. I am getting Batgirl, but the only reason is to support my preference of who is under the cowl. Nothing more.

Somehow the sales maintained what it was during Morrison's run and Dick Grayson as Batman just after. It was extended it was so successful, but this Court of The Owls cut it off and Dick was back to directionless and Bruce lost his edge. I don't understand how it was sales success, but I am in the minority. I loved the direction from Batman#672 on to #713. A few complaints, but all are minor. Since my direction was cut off without explanation I dropped it and never looked back. Court of the Owls and Bruce may or may not have a brother and then Joker cutting his face off... I thought the mad scientist turning out to be an agent of Darkseid was weird enough. Its simply took something I was enjoying and meddled messing it up. It did not look appealing at all to my specific interest so I did not continue with the renumber successor volume. I think it was the right thing to do for myself.

Green Lantern did not need to be renumbered and tinkered with. Flash was being forced down our throats and took the blame for ruining everything which I would assumed backfired and made people hate Barry instead of embrace him. I always preferred Wally and always will even if I am a Hal Jordan fan. Didio need to be transferred to the television division where he actually has some success unlike comics. That way he won't have to interact with people as well. He is not a people person and cannot be an ambassador for the projects. There is a reason its Geoff and Jim that typically fill that role not Dan and Jim.

https://i.imgflip.com/11yekt.jpg

CyberCubed
04-04-2016, 05:02 PM
If only more people would allow DC and Marvel to crash and burn, we'd all be better off.

TurtleTitan97
04-04-2016, 05:06 PM
That would be a terrible idea.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2016, 05:10 PM
That would be a terrible idea.

In the paraphrased yet still immortal words of our leaders: "DC and Marvel are too big to fail!"

CyberCubed
04-04-2016, 05:13 PM
The way I see it, almost every good DC or Marvel story has already been told. Some of these characters have been around for 75 years. There's only so many things you can do with characters who don't physically age much because they're intended to be around forever. And whenever they do change something drastically they always retcon it anyway a few years later.

The problem with DC/Marvel is they're endless, nothing ever builds to a conclusion. But then when things go on too long they do their soft-reboots anyway making everything you just read feel pointless. Reading something that has no ending in sight has to sting.

Let's face it, Batman, Superman, Spiderman and X-men will still be around 50 years from now. The next 50 years worth of comics will just be further slight variations of already done work, reboots, and so forth.

Andrew NDB
04-04-2016, 05:36 PM
The problem with DC/Marvel is they're endless, nothing ever builds to a conclusion. But then when things go on too long they do their soft-reboots anyway making everything you just read feel pointless. Reading something that has no ending in sight has to sting.

They don't need to do that. I don't mind mild retcons that are organic enough (for example, there's only so many decades that can pass in real life before no, the Punisher could not be a Vietnam vet anymore)... but there's something really cool about picking up a comic from the 70s, and you know, it's like... "Chapter 103" of a character's story, and you pick up a copy of the same comic in the 2010s, and it's like, "Chapter 550." That's cool, it makes things seem like an ongoing tapestry that's always growing and developing. It also makes for fascinating discussion and debate. It's only confusing if you're a hack editor that doesn't want to do his job, or are a lazy writer. This is an age of Wikipedia, after all.

It just seems that in 2016, it's much easier for the Disney-run Marvel or the WB-run DC to hire cheap new hack writers than actual talent, doing "Big Events" and "Reboots" and powers-changing or new costumes or "Guess which established character will be GAY next month?" instead of doing actual compelling stories or storytelling. They have like no faith in the audience that an actual solid story will be a selling point on its own.

myconius
04-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Andrew NDB - the problem with Rebirth is it's still taking place within the New 52 continuity. when i read the solicits and saw that the stories were picking up right were they left off i said to myself "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"
having collected many of the New 52 series since issue #1 if i had to do it all over again, i'd have only gotten Batman Inc to complete Morrison's run, and probably the Tomasi/Gleason Batman & Robin.

CylonsKlingons - is Chew one of those series it's best to start at #1?
or can you pick up at any point?
as far as DC or Marvel occasionally releasing a good story by accident, i attribute that to the selling of one's soul. :lol:

MikeandRaph87 - that's exactly how i feel with Rebirth. jump ship while the jumping's good!!!
i was buying Batgirl just because i love Babs as Batgirl, but it had gotten SO awful i just couldn't take it anymore!!!
Grant Morrison's run on Batman was the BEST thing to happen to the series in YEARS!!!
i only liked the books he was writing for directly. didn't care for the other writers that took over after him, except for Tomasi on Batman & Robin.

CyberCubed - i'm beginning to agree with you, though i don't think it'll ever happen?

Andrew NDB
04-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Andrew NDB - the problem with Rebirth is it's still taking place within the New 52 continuity

Well, from what I gather... there is some kind of "secret" that has a revelation in Rebirth, that sort of makes everyone in the New52 remember their pre-Flashpoint histories, or parts of them. Or something.

Which is kind of odd... will, like, Wally West "remember" he was a white, red-headed man and un-become a black youth?

myconius
04-04-2016, 05:44 PM
It just seems that in 2016, it's much easier for the Disney-run Marvel or the WB-run DC to hire cheap new hack writers than actual talent, doing "Big Events" and "Reboots" and powers-changing or new costumes or "Guess which established character will be GAY next month?" instead of doing actual compelling stories or storytelling. They have like no faith in the audience that an actual solid story will be a selling point on its own.

AMEN!!!!!! that's exactly why i'm bailing out!! the New 52 writing was horrible!!!
and now they're forcing the cheap new hack writers to squeeze out their sub-par stories twice a month!!!

expect trash!!!!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Well, from what I gather... there is some kind of "secret" that has a revelation in Rebirth, that sort of makes everyone in the New52 remember their pre-Flashpoint histories, or parts of them. Or something.

Which is kind of odd... will, like, Wally West "remember" he was a white, red-headed man and un-become a black youth?

I was wondering the exact same thing myself. :tlol:

CylonsKlingons - is Chew one of those series it's best to start at #1?

Yes, you absolutely have to start at Issue #1. BUT this is a story with a definitive beginning, middle, and end, and we are almost finished... I think less than ten issues left.

myconius
04-04-2016, 07:00 PM

HAHAHAHA!!!! excellent point!!!!!
i can already tell this is going to be a BIG HOT Steamy MESS!!!!! :lol:

I was wondering the exact same thing myself. :tlol:

Yes, you absolutely have to start at Issue #1. BUT this is a story with a definitive beginning, middle, and end, and we are almost finished... I think less than ten issues left.

YIKES!!!!!! :o

maybe i'll have to wait till there's a digital sale or something?

i guess for now i'll just stick with IDW Tmnt ongoing and any other mini-series they put out?

right now i'm happier than ever that i kept Amazing Adventures on my pull-list! :lol:

MikeandRaph87
04-04-2016, 07:39 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!! excellent point!!!!!
i can already tell this is going to be a BIG HOT Steamy MESS!!!!! :lol:

YIKES!!!!!! :o

maybe i'll have to wait till there's a digital sale or something?

i guess for now i'll just stick with IDW Tmnt ongoing and any other mini-series they put out?

right now i'm happier than ever that i kept Amazing Adventures on my pull-list! :lol:

Were you a MMPR fan growing up? Boom has a new series modernizing the original six. It will probably be better than the movie that is currently filming.

Star Wars erased its original 110 issue run (1978-1986) run and is replacing it with a pretty good run so far 17 issues in. If you are a fan of the original trilogy it is worth checking out.

myconius
04-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Were you a MMPR fan growing up? Boom has a new series modernizing the original six. It will probably be better than the movie that is currently filming.

Star Wars erased its original 110 issue run (1978-1986) run and is replacing it with a pretty good run so far 17 issues in. If you are a fan of the original trilogy it is worth checking out.

i was never really a power ranger fan. but i do like the quality over at Boom Studios.

i've been reading Boom Studio's 'Klaus' by Grant Morrison, and i've been enjoying it quite a bit.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/klaus-1-boom-studios-2015

shame it's only a mini-series, but i'd much rather have quality over quantity!

theclaw
04-04-2016, 09:55 PM
What was so wrong with pre-Crisis and post-Crisis? You had a multiverse defining story a generation of readers could jump on or off at. Think of how long it'd take to read every New 52 #1 to have any hope of understanding it.

To be honest though, the only comic I'd say I truly followed was Sonic the Hedgehog. Pretty sure what finally made me give up was around the time they turned around and said stuff like "the planet is Earth after all!".

Allio
04-04-2016, 10:02 PM

you need to read more

myconius
04-04-2016, 10:20 PM
you need to read more

the only thing i'd say he might add to his diet, is maybe a healthy dose of some Walking Dead?

Allio
04-05-2016, 05:40 AM
maybe the first 50 issues, but after that it is just bad for his health

myconius
04-05-2016, 06:01 AM
i enjoyed it after issue #50, there were some pretty cool stories.

but definitely the first 50 issues were the best!
now you barely get to see any zombies unless they are in a massive heard that just looks like a giant cloud of dust anyway.

it's really become a survival-soap opera.

MikeandRaph87
04-05-2016, 07:37 AM
i was never really a power ranger fan. but i do like the quality over at Boom Studios.

i've been reading Boom Studio's 'Klaus' by Grant Morrison, and i've been enjoying it quite a bit.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/klaus-1-boom-studios-2015

shame it's only a mini-series, but i'd much rather have quality over quantity!

I always thought of Santa Clause Is Coming To Town (Rankin-Bass, 1970) as a Santa Claus: Year One story. I thought Grant was DC exclusive. Interesting. Is it just four issues? I may just read that tomorrow during free-time.

myconius
04-05-2016, 08:02 AM
I always thought of Santa Clause Is Coming To Town (Rankin-Bass, 1970) as a Santa Claus: Year One story. I thought Grant was DC exclusive. Interesting. Is it just four issues? I may just read that tomorrow during free-time.

Klaus is actually a 6 part mini, but it's just got 2 issue's left.
still very awesome! i'm enjoying it quite a bit! it's like Conan Claus! :lol:

i think Grant was on an exclusive DC deal a while back, but that ended some time ago.
you can tell he really loves the characters, so every time he thinks he's out? ...they PULL him back in!!!! :lol:

i feel like i'm starting to have DC withdrawal!!!! :o

there's ONE title that keeps haunting me!!!!!

i'm SO tempted to see what this is about!!!!

http://media.comicbook.com/2016/03/12900064-10101076268815745-650739883-n-176190.jpg

BUT ...just because it has a pretty cover, doesn't mean the inside art will be any good?

and then there's the story? so far i haven't seen who's writing it?

even if a series starts off really strong, they usually take a nosedive in quality TOOT-Sweet!!!!

Allio
04-05-2016, 08:04 AM
I have been picking up some DC stuff, but it is mainly those Graphic Novels + Movie combo packs they started doing recently

Spike Spiegel
04-05-2016, 08:16 AM
I have been picking up some DC stuff, but it is mainly those Graphic Novels + Movie combo packs they started doing recently

I picked up the George Perez WW omnibus and pre-ordered Wonder Woman: Earth One. Also thinking about the Neal Adams Batman omnibus.

For the most part, though, the only money DC or Marvel makes off of me these days is through their old reprints.

myconius
04-05-2016, 09:25 AM
i was really tempted to get the Neal Adams Batman omnibus,
but since i already have all 3 volumes of Neal Adams Batman Illustrated i didn't want to double dip.

the only double dip i was STRONGLY considering way back when was the Absolute All-Star Superman!
the story is excellent and the art is just pure beauty to behold!

but dang do those Absolute books eat up a LOT of space!!!!

CyberCubed
04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
You're falling for their traps again. You pull out, they reel you back in. You pull out again, they reel you in even harder.

Of course everything "looks good" its a cycle. Its like a poor relationship where you think it'll get better but it never does.

snake
04-06-2016, 07:53 PM
I love DC comics. I don't spend too much, but I read a lot (guess how lol) and you gotta accept that its the medium. For every good run, there's 4 sh*t ones behind it. You just have to wade through the sh*t and appriciate the classics.

Too much capesh*t can be annoying and enough to cause someone to quit, but read some indy/non cape/graphic novel stuffs like Sandman, The Goon, and even IDW TMNT.

myconius
04-07-2016, 07:49 PM
You're falling for their traps again. You pull out, they reel you back in. You pull out again, they reel you in even harder.

Of course everything "looks good" its a cycle. Its like a poor relationship where you think it'll get better but it never does.

they are like your typical destructive relationship Ex.
they make promises to change, but then they start burning you with lit cigars again and the vicious cycle of abuse starts all over.

I love DC comics. I don't spend too much, but I read a lot (guess how lol) and you gotta accept that its the medium. For every good run, there's 4 sh*t ones behind it. You just have to wade through the sh*t and appriciate the classics.

Too much capesh*t can be annoying and enough to cause someone to quit, but read some indy/non cape/graphic novel stuffs like Sandman, The Goon, and even IDW TMNT.

IDW Tmnt and Image Comics TWD are so far the only comics that i can regularly depend on for quality.
sure i'll find the occasional quality creator owned mini-series now and again.

there's only a few of the classics that you can always re-read and enjoy like Batman Year One or Arkham Asylum Serious House on Serious Earth.

i did really enjoy Grant Morrison's run on Batman, and have since re-read it several times.

when ever Grant put's out a new mini-series i always make sure to check it out.

myconius
04-12-2016, 08:55 PM
i did something today i thought i'd NEVER do!

earlier i posted my full run of New 52 Batman comics by Snyder and Capullo on ebay.

just thought i'd keep those single issues forever, but forever turned out to be a LOT shorter than i originally thought! :lol:

that used to be my favorite single issue comic each month.
but around the time IDW introduced Slash into their comics they took the place of my personal number one spot! :D

myconius
04-15-2016, 10:00 AM
there was one new title DC was putting out that i was almost swayed back into checking out.

but i've affirmed to myself that i'm not going to waste to time, money or space on.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/scott-snyder-talks-batman-finale-all-star-future-love-for-capullo

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/EUwop3xn0j0/0.jpg

when i think about how much money was spent on these comics, and how little of my money i actually get back when i sell it it's almost not even worth it!

probably just better off burning them?

Shark_Blade
05-09-2016, 07:36 AM
The only comics I read are TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo.I read these, Sonic the Hedgehog and Afterlife with Archie. :D:trazz:

There are also some random Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Spiderman comics. New 52 is kinda weird, and Marvel.. well I only like Spiderman, a bit of Daredevil, Deadpool... funny I never bought X-Men or Ironman tbh.

Most that I bought were from important story arcs like Kraven's Last Hunt, Death of Gwen Stacy, Spiderman: Blue, Daredevil: Yellow, A Death in the Family (Robin's Death), Killing Joke, etc. But I've stopped so long ago.

ZariusTwo
05-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Spiderman: Blue

I read somewhere that Blue is'nt canon.

Shark_Blade
05-10-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't mind if it's canon or not. I enjoy comics for the stories. :tlove:

myconius
05-10-2016, 08:22 PM
ever since i've dropped most all of my current DC titles (with the exception of Grayson, Robin, Lois & Clark that are all ending soon) i really don't miss any of the others series one bit!

in fact i'm really relieved to not have to force myself to read mediocre stories, or comics with subpar art.

i'll still enjoy revisiting the classics like Year One, All-Star Superman or Killing Joke.

recently i've started re-reading some of Grant Morrison's Batman run just to wash my brain of all the New 52 and DC You garbage it was poisoned with!

Shark_Blade
05-11-2016, 04:43 AM
Ah, speaking of All-Star, I take it Grant Morrison still haven't continued All-Star Batman and Robin #2? That's such a drag, delaying for how many years lmao? :tlol: Legendary fail.

Found it. 2009! My gosh - 8 years of waiting still going.
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/127111-all-star-batman-and-robin-the-boy-wonder-not-canceled-just-really-really-delayed.html

myconius
05-11-2016, 05:18 AM
Ah, speaking of All-Star, I take it Grant Morrison still haven't continued All-Star Batman and Robin #2? That's such a drag, delaying for how many years lmao? :tlol: Legendary fail.

Found it. 2009! My gosh - 8 years of waiting still going.
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/127111-all-star-batman-and-robin-the-boy-wonder-not-canceled-just-really-really-delayed.html

Grant Morrison wrote Batman & Robin (2009-2011) which he concluded that storyline with several others.

you might be thinking of the All-Star Batman & Robin series that Frank Miller and Jim Lee started and never made it past (issue # 10 i think?)

ZariusTwo
05-11-2016, 05:22 AM
And now there's a new All-Star Batman coming out written by Synder, but has nothing to do with Miller's story.

Shark_Blade
05-11-2016, 06:32 AM
Grant Morrison wrote Batman & Robin (2009-2011) which he concluded that storyline with several others.

you might be thinking of the All-Star Batman & Robin series that Frank Miller and Jim Lee started and never made it past (issue # 10 i think?)Oh yeah it's Frank Miller. :P I got the collected edition as Vol. 1, so now we're waiting for Vol. 2. Well not really waiting cause I think it'll never come lol.

Still, his "goddamn Batman" is legendary tbh.

And now there's a new All-Star Batman coming out written by Synder, but has nothing to do with Miller's story.

For a moment there I thought Zack Snyder is writing it. :lol: It's Scott Snyder.

Sounds interesting, first time I heard of this.

myconius
05-11-2016, 07:06 AM
yeah, what a mess.

Shiro Kame
05-11-2016, 09:41 PM
*sigh* Just like the Sonic comics for me about 24+ issues after the reboot (blame Ken Penders). I know how that feels.

JakeSully
05-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Would you like another comic crash like 20 years ago?

Andrew NDB
05-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Would you like another comic crash like 20 years ago?

If that what it takes. DC has been in a terrible place for many years now, and the people responsible aren't getting fired... they're getting promoted.

ZariusTwo
05-12-2016, 04:05 AM
I'd sooner have Marvel crash than DC, but yeah, they're no angels, that Superman editor needs to go.

myconius
05-12-2016, 05:06 AM
If that what it takes. DC has been in a terrible place for many years now, and the people responsible aren't getting fired... they're getting promoted.

yeah, they just keep moving them up the ladder.
and any project they work on gets promoted as "Essential Reading" even when it's total garbage.

I'd sooner have Marvel crash than DC, but yeah, they're no angels, that Superman editor needs to go.

yeah, i've completely given up on Marvel comics altogether!
i've tried reading some of the Mark Millar stuff he's done for Icon, but i'm finding he's a bit of a hack.

so Glad i dropped all the Superman titles ('cept for Lois & Clark for how ever long it got?)
i've been hearing the latest cross-over arc has been miserably bad!

ZariusTwo
05-12-2016, 09:14 AM
i've been hearing the latest cross-over arc has been miserably bad!

"The Final Days of Superman" so far has been nothing but a dying N52 flying about holding hands with Wonder Woman and giggling like a school-boy about how "in luv" he is with her, and Diana constantly telling him not to go ahead with his mission so they can snuggle(!), while a solar-powered Super-imposter kidnaps N52 Lois and shows her where the pre-flashpoint Clark lives for some reason he does'nt go into, then he destroys the house and randomly says "I'll raise your son"

And as for that meeting between N52 and Pre-Flashpoint? It's barely even a page long before PF Clark gets out of dodge with his family. He had more panel time with Solar Supes. Yup.:roll:

myconius
05-12-2016, 09:52 AM
"The Final Days of Superman" so far has been nothing but a dying N52 flying about holding hands with Wonder Woman and giggling like a school-boy about how "in luv" he is with her, and Diana constantly telling him not to go ahead with his mission so they can snuggle(!), while a solar-powered Super-imposter kidnaps N52 Lois and shows her where the pre-flashpoint Clark lives for some reason he does'nt go into, then he destroys the house and randomly says "I'll raise your son"

And as for that meeting between N52 and Pre-Flashpoint? It's barely even a page long before PF Clark gets out of dodge with his family. He had more panel time with Solar Supes. Yup.:roll:

thanks for summarizing that for me. :D
i was reading all the New 52 Superman titles since issue #1.
at several points was looking to jump off, but stuck around till #50.

that sounds pretty typical of the disappointing arcs thus-far!!!

the nice thing about not being bombarded by a slew of new crappy comics each wednesday is now i can go back and re-read some of the actual GOOD stories that i truly did enjoy!

ZariusTwo
05-13-2016, 08:47 AM
http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Meerkat-Movies-Comic-1_Cover130-600x923.jpg

DC are making comics out of annoying British commercials now

What next? The All-New, All-Different GO COMPARE?:lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-13-2016, 09:17 AM
http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Meerkat-Movies-Comic-1_Cover130-600x923.jpg

Dafuq. Seriously, WTF. Who the hell would even bother reading this for free, much less buy it?

ZariusTwo
05-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Dafuq. Seriously, WTF. Who the hell would even bother reading this for free

How strong is your resistant will?:)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/13/read-the-neal-adams-compare-the-meerkat-comic-right-here/

myconius
05-13-2016, 11:51 AM

OH that is just miserably WRETCHED!!!! :trolleye:

still though .... as bad as it is, it looks a HECK of a lot better than the bunch of DC titles i recently dropped!! :lol:

CyberCubed
05-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Both DC and Marvel need to crash and burn for a few years. I think the problem now is pretty much every good superhero story has already been told, so there's not much else to take these characters.

ZariusTwo
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Speaking of crashing, here's a rundown of comic sales across the board from April

http://www.newsarama.com/29277-comic-book-sale-take-a-plunge-in-april-down-for-the-year.html

18% (22% in units) lower from this time in 2015

myconius
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Both DC and Marvel need to crash and burn for a few years. I think the problem now is pretty much every good superhero story has already been told, so there's not much else to take these characters.

i was going to go with 'tarred and feathered' ....

but crashing and burning would be fine? :lol:

myconius
05-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Speaking of crashing, here's a rundown of comic sales across the board from April

http://www.newsarama.com/29277-comic-book-sale-take-a-plunge-in-april-down-for-the-year.html

18% (22% in units) lower from this time in 2015

wow!!! well that'll learn 'em to put out such crappy stories!!!

ZariusTwo
05-13-2016, 12:23 PM

The problem is most of the current writers and editors grew up in the 70s and that's all they really know how to write. They're completly out of touch and don't hire enough broader and youthful talent, whenever they do, they lock them out of titles they could be working on in favor of the same tired stale acts that have been on top for decades

myconius
05-26-2016, 12:09 PM
any time i feel myself slipping into the temptation of trying out one of these new Bi-Weekly DC titles....

.....all i have to do to deter myself is just look at how lame the new characters they'll be fighting look! :lol:

https://www.comeek.co/imagenes_blog/marzo_2016/rebirth_batman_2.jpg

http://www.comicsplace.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/BAT2.jpg

HECK! all i need to do is look at how terrible Batman's new costume looks!! :lol:

http://www.comicsplace.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ASB1.jpg

I'M BATMAN!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :rolling:

http://thebatmanuniverse.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/batman.jpg

CyberCubed
05-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Who are those two characters behind Batman and Gordon?

myconius
05-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Who are those two characters behind Batman and Gordon?

that's Gotham and Gotham Girl.

pretty original names right???

http://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/0/6063/5211258-bm_cv4.jpg

OH NO!!! Gotham is plummeting down to .... to Gotham!!! :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-26-2016, 12:18 PM
that's Gotham and Gotham Girl.

pretty original names right???

http://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/0/6063/5211258-bm_cv4.jpg

OH NO!!! Gotham is plummeting down to .... to Gotham!!! :lol:

I can't wait to see Green Arrow fight Star City Dude. Or Flash versus Central City Chick. Or Superman up against Metropolis Man. Or Green Lantern combating Coast City Hombre.

There are not enough hands and heads in the world to give this enough facepalms.

myconius
05-26-2016, 12:25 PM
I can't wait to see Green Arrow fight Star City Dude. Or Flash versus Central City Chick. Or Superman up against Metropolis Man. Or Green Lantern combating Coast City Hombre.

There are not enough hands and heads in the world to give this enough facepalms.

PWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! X''''D

i can't agree MORE!!!!

and everyone keeps going ON and ON about what a GREAT writer this Tom King guy is!

Gotham and Gotham Girl?????
how marvelously WRETCHED!!!!!! :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-26-2016, 12:27 PM
PWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! X''''D

i can't agree MORE!!!!

and everyone keeps going ON and ON about what a GREAT writer this Tom King guy is!

Gotham and Gotham Girl?????
how marvelously WRETCHED!!!!!! :lol:

Well, Tom King did do Nightwing. So I'm not 100% ruling this out yet. But the premise looks nearly as stupid as "Gordon as Robatman" and that turned out to be just as bad as well assumed. (Though Bloom was pretty awesome and the Bruce/Joker stuff was AMAZING.)

myconius
05-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Well, Tom King did do Nightwing. So I'm not 100% ruling this out yet. But the premise looks nearly as stupid as "Gordon as Robatman" and that turned out to be just as bad as well assumed. (Though Bloom was pretty awesome and the Bruce/Joker stuff was AMAZING.)

TBH ... the Grayson series was great when it first started, but i started to loose interest after the issue of Dick carrying the Baby through the desert.
after that they just started introducing characters and plot points that just didn't grab me.

uhg!!! Robo-Gordon!!!!!
that's definitely one for the history books of BAD ideas!!! :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-26-2016, 12:37 PM
TBH ... the Grayson series was great when it first started, but i started to loose interest after the issue of Dick carrying the Baby through the desert.
after that they just started introducing characters and plot points that just didn't grab me.

uhg!!! Robo-Gordon!!!!!
that's definitely one for the history books of BAD ideas!!! :lol:

I agree, the Dick at Spyral thing did lose my interest after a few issues... it was an interesting concept, but it was dragged out too long and spider-robot-Nazis-mind-control was just too comic-booky for me. I prefer my Bat stories more grounded.

Also, I prefer pre-New52 Helena. That girl kicked ass with a crossbow.

myconius
05-26-2016, 12:43 PM
I agree, the Dick at Spyral thing did lose my interest after a few issues... it was an interesting concept, but it was dragged out too long and spider-robot-Nazis-mind-control was just too comic-booky for me. I prefer my Bat stories more grounded.

Also, I prefer pre-New52 Helena. That girl kicked ass with a crossbow.

yeah that whole Spyral thing held my interest NOT .... VERY .... LONG!!!! :lol:

let's be honest! we were ALL just THRILLED they didn't kill Dick off like they teased they were in Forever Evil!!!! :D

HECK! at that point DC could have made a comic series where they stuck Dick owning a Hot Dog stand and we'd have ALL ran out and bout it!!!! :lol:

"WOW!!!! THIS IS LIKE ..... THE GREATEST DICK GRAYSON COMIC EVERRRR!!!" <3

sad but true! :P

yeah they really destroyed Huntress!!!