PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever sell your entire collection?

TMNTChris1980
04-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Lately I noticed a huge TMNT fan/collector fell on some hard times, but is refusing to sell any parts from their collection.

Personally, I would have no problem selling figures, and stuff like that since they're not too personal. Art, totally different story. I could never bring myself to sell any art that I've been lucky enough to get over the years.

So the question is, would you ever sell your entire collection? Is there anything completely off limits?

Master Splinter
04-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Lately I noticed a huge TMNT fan/collector fell on some hard times, but is refusing to sell any parts from their collection.

Personally, I would have no problem selling figures, and stuff like that since they're not too personal. Art, totally different story. I could never bring myself to sell any art that I've been lucky enough to get over the years.

So the question is, would you ever sell your entire collection? Is there anything completely off limits?

I know who you are talking about and I find it ridiculous that person is not selling any of their collectibles to help fund their thing but instead is asking for everyone else to fund their thing. It's not the first time the same person has done this and I doubt it would be the last.

I myself would sell my collection in a heartbeat if I needed to. I would hate to see it go but it's only stuff and I'd rather have my life over stuff.

-ms

TMNTooze
04-05-2016, 12:26 PM
I have sold almost all of my star wars collection and a lot of my hockey card collection due to my kids getting sick. Fell on some hard times and still just trying to get by. Collections are fun to have but if it comes down to it, I'd sell everything I had for my family. You can't take the stuff with you when you die but then again it could be used to fill your own King Tuts Tomb.

Master Splinter
04-05-2016, 12:35 PM
I have sold almost all of my star wars collection and a lot of my hockey card collection due to my kids getting sick. Fell on some hard times and still just trying to get by. Collections are fun to have but if it comes down to it, I'd sell everything I had for my family. You can't take the stuff with you when you die but then again it could be used to fill your own King Tuts Tomb.

A tomb would be awesome but I'd rather just become dust personally. I have a hard time supporting someone that by my count has asked for funding on four separate occasions now for personal reasons without ever selling anything from their own collection. All the while traveling across the country to con after con, plus toy fairs, etc... It's b.s. in my opinion and a slap in the face to anyone that really needs help.

-ms

Candy Kappa
04-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Push comes to shove, sure. In the end it's just things, would I be apprehensive on selling certain items, of course it is only natural. Some items are not easy to reacquire and some have a special meaning for me.

plastroncafe
04-05-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't know that I'd ever sell all of it, mostly because large chunks of it aren't probably worth all that much.

My favorite parts of my collection are the series of covers I've collected over the years. From the unused Palladium RPG covers I bought at GenCon in 1999 for a quarter a piece, to the coverproof of Shell Shocked that I've been slowly getting signed. I can't imagine they'd go for much.

The Playmates and Sideshow statues, on the other hand...
Those I could probably unload and at bare minimum get asking price for.
With that in mind they'd be the first to go if the going got tough for me.

CyberCubed
04-05-2016, 01:00 PM
I sold at least 50% of my TMNT toy collection, and a large chunk of my comics as I transitioned to trades over the last 3-4 years or so.

The only toys I still have are the classic figures from the original toyline that I can't part with because of my childhood.

VaughnMichael
04-05-2016, 01:33 PM
I did some years ago.

thundermaster612
04-05-2016, 01:40 PM
If it fell on hard times I would sell things and eventually buy them back some time when its over but for now, keepin it all

Master Splinter
04-05-2016, 02:03 PM
I did some years ago.

To me! And I cherish all of the comics that you sent my way, as well as my custom figure you made me. I do not ever plan on selling anything but if it came down to me not being able to do what I need to do to live, I'd sell these in a heartbeat.

-ms

Mzx10484
04-05-2016, 02:06 PM
TMNT is one of my passion, recreation, hobby, whatever. Very related to my childhood. As with most of you, TMNT is not my only purpose in life. I am a guitar player and collector, furthermore I love to see other places in the world, look beyond my own box, and therefore you need money. So it's quite possible that sooner or later I will arrive at an intersection, and when I have arrived there, I will sell my collection, including my MOC Purple Armor Super Shredder, Sewer Playset MISB and so on... but it will be for a very good reason!

Lordmylar06
04-05-2016, 02:40 PM
With the exception of some personalized things, like original art, I'd do it if the price was right.

go_ninja84
04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
there are certain pieces in my collection i could never bring myself to sell but some stuff mostly Nick merchandise i could. i have alot of nice stuff and i worked hard to get it and i dont intend to give it up

TMNTChris1980
04-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I think we're all in the same boat that we would sell all if not most of our stuff. That's why I posed the question. I can't imagine anything besides the art in my collection being off limits if I hit bad times. I hope it never gets to that.

psychturtle
04-05-2016, 03:06 PM
It's all going to my kids. They can sell if they want. But I collect some nice stuff so if they ever need some cash for emergency, they can sell whatever they need.

TheMasterTurtle
04-05-2016, 03:23 PM
If I fell on hard times or my daughter needed help I'd certainly sell my collection rather then ask my peer group to pay for whatever struggle I was having, even if it wasn't self inflicted. I obviously had the money to purchase my collection and would hope that I could use it as a last resort to raise funds should they be needed. I find not parting with anything for fundraising and requesting help demonstrates priorities being way out of order.

psychturtle
04-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Ok so I apparently missed it. Who was begging others for money?

Ninjinister
04-05-2016, 05:04 PM
For the entire thing, I'd have to pretty much be flat broke to go that far. If I just needed cash for something I'd sell my less integral stuff off though.

tmntman
04-05-2016, 05:31 PM
I've gone through this. When I launched my own company and became self employed, there were a lot of lean years. And I racked up a considerable amount of debt, mostly on credit cards. So even as things picked up with the business, it wasn't enough to catch up with the debt. But I was fortunate in several regards. The first was that this all coincided more or less, with the lull in the popularity between the 4 Kids era and the Nickelodeon era. So the collection didn't require much to keep up with it and it wouldn't have been all that valuable if I had wanted to sell it. That helped make selling the collection or even part of it a last resort. The other big advantage I had was that I wasn't physically hindered. So I had the option of finding additional work to make up the difference. And that is what I did. I spent over five years working 80+ hours a week, often going months without so much as a single day off. And fortunately it paid off in the end. And after everything I put into attaining and retaining my collection, you're going to have to pry it from my cold dead hands at this point. (Not really. But I have no desire to get back into that sort of situation again.)

Powder
04-05-2016, 06:09 PM
I know who you are talking about and I find it ridiculous that person is not selling any of their collectibles to help fund their thing but instead is asking for everyone else to fund their thing. It's not the first time the same person has done this and I doubt it would be the last.

I have a hard time supporting someone that by my count has asked for funding on four separate occasions now for personal reasons without ever selling anything from their own collection. All the while traveling across the country to con after con, plus toy fairs, etc... It's b.s. in my opinion and a slap in the face to anyone that really needs help.

Yeah, I recently learned about this as well, & it's one of the most shameless displays I've ever seen. They have the power to instantly create thousands of dollars, well into the double digits, & that's just based on selling some of what they have. You've gotta also factor in not spending more, were they to change their habits, that'd be additional funds. & I heard through the grapevine this person also had a sizable amount of cash, like, new car money, donated to them by a certain company who too shall remain nameless... People just keep sinking their dough into pity without any care for the action they (the person in question) themselves can but refuse to take... F**k that.

I don't want to sell any of my more favored items, it'd be one of my last resorts due to sentimentality & the difficulty of attaining some of it. But obviously if I found myself in seriously dire straights, I'd be moving much of it. As it is, I regularly sell stuff. While I see myself being a collector for life, I do want to break away from the "gotta have it" mentality, & physical excess. It's not great to have a bunch of sh*t that you can't even display & have to store, be it in a closet, garage, shed, or paid facility. The only things I absolutely do NOT want to part with, are certain works of art. But even then, you could always scan them at a high resolution & make quality prints down the line. I mean, it's not the same, but it's something.

Mew
04-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Not with my 7 figures. That's all I have.

mrmaczaps
04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
As someone who is sick and having to make that decision, it isn't easy...

But if this person has some corporation helping them and they are still asking for money, that's....

The stuff I try to sell isn't very valuable and at one or two items at a time, it doesn't help much. I don't have many toys and none are valuable.

psychturtle
04-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Ok... Someone PM me who this is. I'm not looking to stir the pot. But want to be wary of not giving to said individual.

Roseangelo
04-05-2016, 08:24 PM
I have done what I've needed to do to support myself for as long as I've been an adult, and will continue to do so. But at the moment I am healthy and working full-time and living within my means, which allows me to enjoy my hobbies, including buying collectibles.

The person in question has done nothing but ask people for money since literally the first time I met her, back in 1997. The fact that people are still enabling her selfish behavior is extremely disappointing.

psychturtle
04-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Ok I'm now in the loop thanks to some awesome people. I'll stay clear

TMNachoT
04-05-2016, 08:58 PM
I have sold some of my items but thanks god it was not due to monetary reasons. Now i am selling again figures, vehicles and playsets because i do not have the same love i used to have for them, so at least it is good to know that someone will appreciate my stuff tham me.

Andrew NDB
04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
The good news is she made almost $900 in a single week from her fundraiser. That's a lot more than a lot of us make from a week of full-time work.

Maybe she's onto something?

Powder
04-05-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm too much of an asshole for people to wanna give me money, even if I were to list my many health problems & unfortunate circumstances. :tlol:

CyberCubed
04-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Who are we talking about here, a certain Ivey? Hasn't this been going on for nearly 20 years now?

mrmaczaps
04-05-2016, 09:58 PM
The good news is she made almost $900 in a single week from her fundraiser. That's a lot more than a lot of us make from a week of full-time work.

Maybe she's onto something?

Wish I could have banked that in that amount of time... Maybe I could have gotten my meds and not lost my job. #damntumor

TMNTChris1980
04-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Sorry, I really didn't want this thread to turn into a bash of anyone. I was just curious if there was anything that was off limits.

My off limits is my TMNT art collections, figures and stuff like that can be replaced.

TheCanadiandrome
04-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Nope I would not. Sure I could talk about sellers remorse and blah blah blah, but what it ultimately comes down to is that I know I wouldn't get top dollar for my stuff lol :P

But seriously, if need be, maybe I'd part with some stuff, but push would really have to come to shove before I'd sell anything, be it tmnt or otherwise

mrmaczaps
04-06-2016, 12:15 AM
Nope I would not. Sure I could talk about sellers remorse and blah blah blah, but what it ultimately comes down to is that I know I wouldn't get top dollar for my stuff lol :P

But seriously, if need be, maybe I'd part with some stuff, but push would really have to come to shove before I'd sell anything, be it tmnt or otherwise

That's the other thing, stuff just isn't worth what we're paying these days when you buy it off the shelf... if you're a reader/collector, there's not much resale value...

ProactiveMan
04-06-2016, 01:01 AM
I’d sell my stuff if I felt I needed to. If I make a decision to get rid of something, I can be pretty ruthless, but none of my TMNT stuff is amazingly valuable as far as I know.

Something I wouldn’t part with… I wouldn’t get rid of the Mirage reprints (Books I – IV) I have. Not that anyone would want them, but I’ve had them since I was a kid, and I love them.

I’m thinking of getting rid of a lot of my McFarlane and early NECA stuff. Not for financial reasons, but I need more space – I have crap all over everywhere and I want to confine it all to one room.

Huzzah
04-06-2016, 05:48 AM
After my divorce a few years back I left the area with no money, no job, and had to move in with my parents, at 30. It was terrible, plus I still had bills that had to be paid. I sold basically all I had (which wasn't that much at the time), my bills got paid. Luckily it was all Shorey term, I moved on, and am in a better place now than I was them.

plastroncafe
04-06-2016, 10:22 AM
I’m thinking of getting rid of a lot of my McFarlane and early NECA stuff. Not for financial reasons, but I need more space – I have crap all over everywhere and I want to confine it all to one room.

Same. Considering my Sideshow exclusives for the same reason.

tmnt transformer
04-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I'd never sell my collection. I have sold some things that I bought when I was younger, and only bought things because it was there. I spend way too much time and effort hunting down stuff I missed out on, so there is no way I'd sell it. If anything, I would give away my stuff to a aspiring young collector.

d_osborn
04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Completely selling off my collection wouldn't be my first move, but I would do it in a heartbeat if required. It's just stuff. I would definitely try to hang on to at least one cool thing, though.

I've actually been selling off some of my collection to make room. Slim things down a bit. The market is REALLY good for certain TMNT items, so if you're going to sell, now is the time. I know a few BIG prop collectors that have been selling off stuff.

Chabrendeki
04-06-2016, 11:14 AM
I didn't have a quite big collection: a shelf of IDW reprints, some T-shirts and a single Playmates Original Comic Leonardo. Thats all. It wouldn't make so much money, that would make a difference, so: no, I wouldn't sell.

Archon_Turtle
04-07-2016, 01:12 AM
I've sold a huge chunk of my collection. There are very very few things that I hold so sacred as to say "never".

Some of you know I recently DID fall on "hard times". Shortly after the birth of my daughter, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, and is currently fighting it.

Did we start a gofundme? Yes. Largely because we had SO MANY people asking "what they could do" and this gave them something tangible to act on. Some way they could literally help fight the cancer. And every cent of what we've been given has been spent directly on that fight.

But even then, my collection was never and is never protected. I'm sure you can find years old threads where I said (words to the effect) that I would never sell anything. Well... Your Mid-30's look a lot different than your mid-20's. Priorities change.

THIS is all that matters.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/12814251_10154675278342576_3811287642007971002_n.j pg

ProactiveMan
04-07-2016, 02:51 AM
Your Mid-30's look a lot different than your mid-20's. Priorities change.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/12814251_10154675278342576_3811287642007971002_n.j pg

Well said.

DVD
04-07-2016, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't sell, but don't mind giving things away.
I've given various figures and vehicles to kids I teach or kids of friends who I see really like something.
The Monkey Brains figure proved very popular. I was parting with a few of those, so I got spares.
I nearly gave the big Leo Playset to a mates kid after his lower jaw hit the floor when he saw it in my office. I asked if he wanted it but my mate wouldn't let him have it.

psychturtle
04-07-2016, 08:48 AM
I am pretty moved by your post. Thank you for sharing. Mid thirties are different. I've found my collecting being more oriented towards benefitting my family (e.g. buying things that will be worth more later such as 1984 comics). Keep us posted if you can about the battle.

I've sold a huge chunk of my collection. There are very very few things that I hold so sacred as to say "never".

Some of you know I recently DID fall on "hard times". Shortly after the birth of my daughter, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, and is currently fighting it.

Did we start a gofundme? Yes. Largely because we had SO MANY people asking "what they could do" and this gave them something tangible to act on. Some way they could literally help fight the cancer. And every cent of what we've been given has been spent directly on that fight.

But even then, my collection was never and is never protected. I'm sure you can find years old threads where I said (words to the effect) that I would never sell anything. Well... Your Mid-30's look a lot different than your mid-20's. Priorities change.

kjmcanada
04-07-2016, 10:12 AM
I would sell my collection if someone offered the right price or if I had to sell because of personal reasons but I'd hate to see the collection all split up. I would rather it go to one home!

I Crave Pizza No More
04-07-2016, 04:04 PM
You know, as with most collections, they just keep growing and we find increasingly creative ways to store or display what we can. I recently bought a giant house with lots of storage, but moving made me realize just how much stuff I have and how little of it I'll ever actually be able to display. I'm going to sell some of it off, beginning mostly with non-TMNT items. Eventually, I imagine I'll sell my figures. I mean, I have probably 98% of the OT figures MOC, and I have 100% of the 2K series (including vehicles and playsets) MOC/MIB.

All that stuff has been sitting in storage for years. I don't want to sell it, but inevitably I will at some point. Just waiting until I need an exciting excuse to get the cash--or an emergency of some sort, at which point all bets are off.

TheCanadiandrome
04-08-2016, 02:25 AM

Very well said

Splint'r
04-08-2016, 12:10 PM
I've actually had to sell off a big portion of my most valuable non TMNT collectibles over the past year. Man, I miss them so much, but situations happen and happen a lot when you have a family. I can't bare the thought of hoarding toys at my age, when there's financial set backs at hand, that could be solved if I gave up my stuff. I tried to maintain my collection for as long as I could, because I really enjoyed them, but it had to be done.
Will I ever get them back? Probably not. It was a hard goodbye and to buy them all back again in equal to better condition, will probably cost me more than what I originally paid 10 to 20 years ago, only to probably have to sell them again in the future.

You want to know something though? After I sold my first valuable item... it actually got easier to let go of the others.

In fact, I've been interested in letting go of my entire vintage TMNT toys and playsets, recently. However... I got a look at Ebay's sold listings and it looks like the demand for vintage TMNT toys have dropped immensely. Like wow. You can get a complete Rocksteady figure for 5 dollars. I remember him going for 20.00 dollars just a few years ago. A lot of the vintage figures are going down in price. Even the carded toys have gone down since the last time I checked.
I paid more $$ for my collection, than what I'd be able to get, if I sold them in one entire lot. So, I'll just have to keep them with me and check the market every few months to see if anything changes. If demand comes back, that's when I'll jump on the opportunity to say goodbye to them. (I'd like to at least break even.)

At this time, my only prominent collection left are my Spawn figures (about 400 pieces in total.) But in terms of collector demand, most of these things are currently worthless plastic. Very hard to sell (or make profit) But... I absolutely love them. I don't intend on keeping them for long though... So I may have to bite the bullet and just let them go in sets of their respective series.
Eventually, I may only collect a hand full of statues for my office and just be done with toys all together or maybe just riddle my office with my own sculptures.
Oh and I also gave up my 2012 collection to my 10 year old son. He had a few of his own, but became much more interested as he watched the show. He always marveled at my collection inside my Detolf display unit and it just didn't feel right to deny him the enjoyment of having all of them. So they're now in his possession.

Here's the funny thing, though. Now that he owns them, he keeps them all in ziploc baggies inside his toy chest and rarely pulls them out. I was hoping he'd play with them, but he said he didn't want to ruin them. *falls*

The Fifth Turtle
04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
^^^ good read! Thanks for sharing. The part at the end about passing the turtles on was so cool!

d_osborn
04-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Good vibes headed your fam's way, man. I can't imagine how rough it must be, but the smile on your wife's face says a lot. Cute kid, too!

An old art collector buddy of mine used to say that such and such piece was "currently in the care" of his collection, or something. I always thought that was pretty cool. This stuff is temporary. Take care, preserve, enjoy, pass on when the time is right. Memories are way more valuable that art, props, or toys.

TMNachoT
04-10-2016, 11:29 PM
Guys, just a question.

If you had to sell your comics, let´s say, the Mirage comics, and you can not sell all the titles/volumes in one transaction, which volumes will be the first ones to be sold? I mean, which are more popular/demanded? TMNT vol. 1? Tales Vol. 1? Micro series? Vol. 4?

Cheers!

Powder
04-10-2016, 11:36 PM
On a whole, probably volume 1, but there are certain issues of volume 4, especially towards the end, that are highly sought after & worth a lot of money...

TMNachoT
04-10-2016, 11:52 PM
On a whole, probably volume 1, but there are certain issues of volume 4, especially towards the end, that are highly sought after & worth a lot of money...

Cheers! The thing is that i have someone who wants to purchase my tmnt vol. 1 and tales vol.1 comics, but then i am afraid not having someone who wants to buy the others volumes, and it is like either i sell all of them (not necessarely to the same buyer) or i keep all of them.

I know the issues toward the end of volume 4 are pricy, i have them, but it may be hard to find someone who wants to buy the whole volume and that´s the thing, i don´t want to sell like 3 or 5 issues of one volume, the idea is to sell all of them.

I´ll give a thought, cheers!!

Gunstar_Red
04-11-2016, 12:41 AM
What I learnt on my multiple moves is that I don't have remorse giving things away to friends, but I often regret selling things to strangers. And it's not the 'safety net' that you might be able to get back your collections from friends down the line. For example, I gave a friend in Canada almost my entire Megaman/Rockman collection. That box was so heavy, it cost me a fortune to ship it to him. Megaman was a huge part of my life in my junior and high school years and I had a lot of rare stuff that could have raked me in some bucks. But I needed it gone because where I was going, I didn't have the space.

I also gave my entire Star Wars collection (apart from some personalized things) to a friend's kid. That also could have given me a lot of money if I sold them instead.

With both of these collections, I miss parts of them but I don't kick myself for giving them away. It's a feeling that they probably have the same respect or love for it. I know my friend has my stuff sitting on a shelf or on his desk at work. I know my action figure collection was opened and a kid is playing with them. This doesn't seem to bother me any time I remember where these collections went.

What does bother me is whatever happened to a huge chunk of my videogame collection and my (then) TMNT collection. Most things, I didn't sell them for much. I'm pretty sure a lot of people had no respect for them and resold my stuff for more money.

What I always tell people, don't sell your collections unless you are completely sure. If you have memories attached to something, it's probably something you shouldn't sell. If you need to get rid of something sentimental, give it away to someone you know.

TMNachoT
04-11-2016, 08:57 AM
What I always tell people, don't sell your collections unless you are completely sure. If you have memories attached to something, it's probably something you shouldn't sell. If you need to get rid of something sentimental, give it away to someone you know.

Well said. I have been selling stuff from my collection, some of them are just kids toys, whatever the kids are going to do after they grow up, I don´t care. Then there are the stuff that were important for my collection. When I know that i have to sell them, I have comfort knowing that the new owners are going to love them more than.

Splint'r
04-11-2016, 12:52 PM
I don't really know anyone, personally, who'd appreciate any of my sentimental stuff the way I hope they would. :P
So I take my chances on ebay. I purchased a lot of stuff on ebay for sentimental reasons, so I see it the same way for someone else, as a seller.
Actually... I didn't mention this before but, but even though I do miss some of the cool items I've had to let go of, it did sort of feel like I was set free, after holding on for so long. Sometimes you just gotta say goodbye, in order to move forward. Just like some fond memories. Keep them in a safe place and don't let them overtake your entire mental space. If you hold on too tight (for sentimental reasons), you may find yourself living backwards. Kind of like living in a time bubble and letting current time pass you bye. Instead, perhaps take that money and put it towards an endeavor you've always wanted to pursue or something..

Just recently sold a Chrono Trigger SNES game on ebay for 112.00 dollars, which I bought about 4 years ago for 45.00. Had no idea prices went up for it, but I needed the extra money to help out with a 6 year anniversary gift for my lady. I never beat the game and I didn't really want to sell it yet, but then I asked myself...when was the last time I even attempted to play it? The answer was... years. So it's just catching dust. Might as well let someone else have it, so it can catch dust in their home instead of mine. :lol:

I love collecting but I've recently began to feel like I may have had my fill already. I'm now pursuing items that will aid me in my next endeavor in 2017.

TMNachoT
04-11-2016, 08:13 PM
it did sort of feel like I was set free, after holding on for so long.

I also like the sensation of freedom, and as a minimalist person, it´s even better to let go things you don´t need. In some cases i have stuff not because i really need them but because i don´t know if i will find them later so i prefer buy them. Those are the stuff that i end up selling after years.