PDA

View Full Version : original 1989 plush TMNT 'undercover' versions?

the fixer
04-16-2016, 05:12 AM
Recently I came across someone sellling the four original 1989 plush Turtle dolls with khaki trench coats and hats...

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/fixer79/plushies_zpsrbb8hdqk.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing those before back in the day or since. Strangely enough I wasn't able to find any reference on the Net either...

Did these 'undercover' Turtle plushies ever exist or are they custom made?

slashpieturtlemix
04-16-2016, 07:09 AM
I have never heard of undercover turtle plushes. These aren't on tmnttoys.com and they are pretty complete on there besides some variants for the old series

Meow
04-16-2016, 07:16 AM
Highly! Interesting! No matter if official or not - I want them, those coated cuties! Any hints on availability, price, etc?

@slashpieturtlemix: Don't be too certain on that because eg when you try to look up the hot wheels tmnt editions you won't find them on Dan's site (although he is in posession of them) ;)

The Fifth Turtle
04-16-2016, 07:23 AM
Sorry, double post.

The Fifth Turtle
04-16-2016, 07:24 AM
These are official. I've seen them in a few collections on this forum.

Meow
04-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Thank you for the information The Fifth Turtle :tgrin: If anyone selling those in good condition with EU shipping interest please pm me

TmntDann
04-16-2016, 07:34 AM
I've seen these in the Netherlands when I was younger. There are also ones wearing a santa's costume. I still have those somewhere.

the fixer
04-16-2016, 07:52 AM
PM sent, Meow. :tcool:

The Fifth Turtle
04-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Thank you for the information The Fifth Turtle :tgrin: If anyone selling those in good condition with EU shipping interest please pm me

Any time !

Meow
04-16-2016, 10:03 AM
I've seen these in the Netherlands when I was younger. There are also ones wearing a santa's costume. I still have those somewhere.
Really? You don't happen to be interested in selling those maybe (not the santa ones or is it the santa turtles you speak about)? The fixer aka Cliff was as nice as providing me with directions to the place those are sold at but 100 bucks for plushies is a bit overdrawn in a long shot, rare or not :/

I did take a closer look at the other pictures on that place too, spotting the Bandai and Playmates logo including asst# on the round labels which are attached to them so it seems they are official.

Shogun26
04-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Really? You don't happen to be interested in selling those maybe (not the santa ones or is it the santa turtles you speak about)? The fixer aka Cliff was as nice as providing me with directions to the place those are sold at but 100 bucks for plushies is a bit overdrawn in a long shot, rare or not :/

I did take a closer look at the other pictures on that place too, spotting the Bandai and Playmates logo including asst# on the round labels which are attached to them so it seems they are official.

They are offical. I didn't realize when i bought the set two years ago from a fellow dromer they were foreign (uk release only) and i had to return them sincei only collect usa releases.

the fixer
04-16-2016, 01:11 PM
They are offical. I didn't realize when i bought the set two years ago from a fellow dromer they were foreign (uk release only) and i had to return them sincei only collect usa releases.

Really? Then you're missing out on a lot of good stuff, dude...
The German DVD of the first movie with the Steve Barron audio commentary comes to mind... Good luck finding that on a US release... :)

Powder
04-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Word, Japan's offerings are some of the coolest! International TMNT stuff rules.

Shogun26
04-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Hehe when i was in japan two years ago and the new line was fully stocked and sitting on shelves i did question my collection focus, but i stayed somewhat strong, only buying the mini turtles that came in the vending machines.
In the last three or so years i sold off my foreign shreddermobile, turtle trooper and warrior rocksteady too.
Have to keep my collection curated so i dont just have everything and anything anymore like i did in the past.

tmntman
04-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Highly! Interesting! No matter if official or not - I want them, those coated cuties! Any hints on availability, price, etc?

@slashpieturtlemix: Don't be too certain on that because eg when you try to look up the hot wheels tmnt editions you won't find them on Dan's site (although he is in posession of them) ;)

These were shown in one of the Toy Fair Catalogs. But I don't believe they were ever released in the US. So I think I left them off the list when I expanded it a few years ago and included the Playmates plush toys. Knowing now that they were released elsewhere, I guess I have an addition to make.

And there are items that I left off if they weren't primarily sold in the action figure aisle. (I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.) So items like the Monster Jam toys or even the Ace Novelty plush toys aren't on there.

psychturtle
04-17-2016, 08:14 PM
Yeah I want those

Archon_Turtle
04-17-2016, 08:34 PM
They're official. EU release. I have a set.

Wildcat
04-18-2016, 05:31 AM
Hehe when i was in japan two years ago and the new line was fully stocked and sitting on shelves i did question my collection focus, but i stayed somewhat strong, only buying the mini turtles that came in the vending machines.
In the last three or so years i sold off my foreign shreddermobile, turtle trooper and warrior rocksteady too.
Have to keep my collection curated so i dont just have everything and anything anymore like i did in the past.That still doesn't explain why you've excluded foreign items that are official. What if there's something you'd love to have that never got a U.S. release? I've imported a couple things from Japan, not tmnt. It's just very strange to set that kind of boundary.

Anyway at first I thought I had one of these but I can't remember. I know had the standard plushies.

The Fifth Turtle
04-18-2016, 06:33 AM
I personally don't think it's strange at all. With 30+ years of merchandise there's a seemingly endless array to choose from. For those of us who are completionists it's easy (and dangerous) to fall into the groove of just buying everything. It's dangerous for our wallets and I feel buying stuff just for the sake of buying stuff devalues the meaning of the piece. It just becomes another thing I own.

Garfield
04-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Those are cute. I'd pick up some of the old plush turtles up if it weren't for the fact that old fluffy used plush things give me the willies.

Wildcat
04-18-2016, 11:12 PM
I personally don't think it's strange at all. With 30+ years of merchandise there's a seemingly endless array to choose from. For those of us who are completionists it's easy (and dangerous) to fall into the groove of just buying everything. It's dangerous for our wallets and I feel buying stuff just for the sake of buying stuff devalues the meaning of the piece. It just becomes another thing I own.No, that's not what I meant at all. Of course you shouldn't buy just for the sake of it.

It's strange to set a boundary that you don't allow yourself to collect anything outside of the US. This a separate subject from "buying everything".