PDA

View Full Version : Mario Party

Prowler
04-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Mario Party is one of the several Mario spin-off series, but unlike Mario Kart or Paper Mario, it's not extremely successful and seems to be just a mere blip on the radar these days. Hell, I was surprised that there's 10 of them already. I tend to forget this series exists. Am I the only one?

I played Mario Party 2, which was a pretty fun game, even solo. And from what I gather, the N64 Mario Party games are generally considered to be the best ones. GameCube had 4 and 5 which weren't that greatly received by fans and critics, so I avoided them. Not to mention I knew no one else that had a GameCube, and since that console did not have online play, I wouldn't have anyone to play Mario Party games with.

What's your experience with the Mario Party series? Are the newer ones any good? Do you think this series could be more appealing?

Etsyturtle2
04-17-2016, 12:00 PM
I hate Mario Party.

sdp
04-17-2016, 01:52 PM
The problem with Mario Party is it was annualized so by the sixth entry or so people started getting tired of the formula and Nintendo realizing less people were buying it. One MP or so a generation like the other spin-offs is fine by me and that's what we've basically been getting. I know some of the recent changes haven't been very welcomed by fans though.

Prowler
04-17-2016, 02:06 PM
The problem with Mario Party is it was annualized so by the sixth entry or so people started getting tired of the formula and Nintendo realizing less people were buying it. One MP or so a generation like the other spin-offs is fine by me and that's what we've basically been getting. I know some of the recent changes haven't been very welcomed by fans though.
Putting every player in the same car does seem stupid and like it defeats the purpose of a board game.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-17-2016, 02:13 PM
I hate Mario Party.

Such a brilliant, insightful opinion that speaks many words of wisdom.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-17-2016, 02:59 PM
I've never understood it's appeal; if I'm going to waste time on a videogame, I'd like it to be a bit more involved than that. The main Mario games, or Pokemon, or other major "event" games... those are what I go for.

Powder
04-17-2016, 03:53 PM
I've never understood it's appeal; if I'm going to waste time on a videogame, I'd like it to be a bit more involved than that. The main Mario games, or Pokemon, or other major "event" games... those are what I go for.

It's a board game. You play it with friends or family to have that board game experience. Except, ya know, it's a video game.

Prowler
04-17-2016, 06:36 PM
It's a board game. You play it with friends or family to have that board game experience. Except, ya know, it's a video game.
Yea, I think it's a great concept. Like the name says, it's a "party" game. But it perhaps could be executed better.

Wesley
04-18-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm not a big fan of Mario Party, but I played a few of the games in the series in the 00s. The first one I played was Mario Party 2 and it's still my favourite. The other ones I played were average and the series got repetitive with each sequel, in my opinion. The last one I played was Mario Party DS or Mario Party 8. I lost interest in the series after that.

The Deadman
04-18-2016, 11:04 AM
I hate Mario Party.

10/10 would like again /sarcasm.

Prowler
04-23-2016, 04:16 PM
My favorite board in Mario Party 2 was Space Land. Pretty fun board with a great tune to it. Mystery Land and Bowser Land were pretty fun as well.

Was it just my cartridge or Yoshi was a pain in the ass in this game when you played against the CPU? And Donkey Kong was at times as well. Hell, Donkey Kong was stubborn as hell in Mario Kart 64. Always finishing in the top 4.