PDA

View Full Version : Video game genres that you just can't get into

Prowler
04-20-2016, 05:01 PM
We love games here, but it's hard to love every game genre out there. We all have our comfort zones.

First Person Shooters: I just can't get into this genre. Especially military shooters such as CoD and MoH. It's odd because a game where you're a soldier shooting enemies sounds pretty good on paper, but turns out it's actually boring and annoying. I also cant' deny that I have trouble with the controls in this kind of games. I miss my target a lot in shooting games and end up wasting lots of ammo. It's frustrating

I don't mind shooters like Borderlands 2 much, however. And I also liked Deus EX: Human Revolution, but that's more of an RPG + Shooter than a straight up shooter. besides, stealth is a big part of it and you're encouraged to avoid killing people. If it wasn't for the stupid boss fights, I wouldn't even pick up a gun in this game.

Most racing games: I LOVE racing games such as F-Zero and Mario Kart, but games like Burnout and Need for Speed? Forget it. They bore me and I'm not a car enthusiast, which seems to be blasphemous for a straight guy.

Sports simulators: Ok, the occasional FIFA or PES match against a friend is fine. But this type of games gets old fast and it's a waste of time to buy FIFA every year. It feels like the same game and you're basically paying full price for updated rosters.I guess with online being bigger than ever nowadays, it's not much of a waste of cash to buy the yearly instalment of FIFA, but even back in the early-2000s people were doing that.

These games just get old fast. And nowadays, no way in hell do I hate the patience to play a whole season all the way through. I much prefer a series like Football Manager where you're the coach. Now that one is addicting as hell.

And that's about it. What about you? What are the video game genres that you cant' get into?

CyberCubed
04-20-2016, 05:05 PM
I don't play JRPG's anymore. I'm no longer interested in slow paced gameplay with generic anime tropes and Japanese style gameplay padding and grinding. Even action based JRPG's don't do it for me anymore.

There are a few exceptions of course, but its rare.

Utrommaniac
04-20-2016, 05:07 PM
All of those and MMORPG. My brother is a League of Legends guy (75% of his Vine account is made of up that), but it's not something I could ever enjoy.

I've usually been a Zelda/Pokémon type of player; I'm comfortable with the Nintendo RPG range. I usually don't play many games, but when I do, it's one of those types.

Cure
04-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Realistic racing simulators: I LOVE racing games such as F-Zero and Mario Kart, but games like Burnout and Need for Speed? Forget it.

Burnout and Need for Speed are arcade racers, not simulators and far from realistic. Simulators are like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo.

oldmanwinters
04-20-2016, 05:13 PM
First person perspective games in general.

Prowler
04-20-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't play JRPG's anymore. I'm no longer interested in slow paced gameplay with generic anime tropes and Japanese style gameplay padding and grinding. Even action based JRPG's don't do it for me anymore.

There are a few exceptions of course, but its rare.

I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with JRPGS. The problem is the ones that require a lot of grinding. And walking into enemies every 4-5 seconds for a turn-based combat can get quite annoying. But I still wouldn't put it in my top 3 least liked genres.

All of those and MMORPG. My brother is a League of Legends guy (75% of his Vine account is made of up that), but it's not something I could ever enjoy.

I've usually been a Zelda/Pokémon type of player; I'm comfortable with the Nintendo RPG range. I usually don't play many games, but when I do, it's one of those types.
Don't have much experience with MMORPGs. I disliked Ragnarok II and Stronghold Kingdoms was pay to win so I gave up on it. I doubt I'll ever try another MMORPG again.

Burnout and Need for Speed are arcade racers, not simulators and far from realistic. Simulators are like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo.
Ah, I see. Then I guess I'm just not into racing games with realistic looking vehicles in general and prefer more "fantasy" ones such as Mario Kart and DKR where I can throw itens at other racers. Or racers with a Sci-fi setting such as F-Zero.

CyberCubed
04-20-2016, 05:17 PM
First person perspective games in general.

Nowadays there are a lot of first person games that aren't directly shooters. Nintendo's own Metroid Prime series as an example. There's also Dues Ex: Human Revolution which is a hybrid RPG, shooter and action game.

Prowler
04-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Nowadays there are a lot of first person games that aren't directly shooters. Nintendo's own Metroid Prime series as an example. There's also Dues Ex: Human Revolution which is a hybrid RPG, shooter and action game.
I found Deus EX: HR fun. But the ending wasn't that great and the boss fights sucked.

Powder
04-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Sports, RPG (barring TLOZ & Pokemon which hardly count anyway), Strategy, vehicle oriented (Except Mario Kart, DDR/Guitar Hero type stuff, Stealth, blah blah blah.

I'm mainly an action adventure platformer typa guy, titles in the vein of DKC, Megaman, etc.

raph27
04-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Can't get into sports games. Don't like sports in real life, these are no different.

Prowler
04-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Sports, RPG (barring TLOZ & Pokemon which hardly count anyway), Strategy, vehicle oriented (Except Mario Kart, DDR/Guitar Hero type stuff, Stealth, blah blah blah.

I'm mainly an action adventure platformer typa guy, titles in the vein of DKC, Megaman, etc.
I don't think that Zelda even qualifies as an RPG in the sense of the word. Pokémon, however, definitely is one.

You sound like you have similar tastes to me. I, too, am a fan of series like Mario, Zelda, Mega Man and DKC. I also like fighting games a lot. And have enjoyed games such as Deus EX HR and Sleeping Dogs. Not to mention I mess occasionally with Civilization and Europa Universalis types of games, but my core genres are in the same vein as yours.

Can't get into sports games. Don't like sports in real life, these are no different.
Funnily, I do like sports(well football only, really), but yet don't like FIFA or PES much. I guess because I don't like how AI controlled world class players play like nobodies in lower difficulty settings and crappy players seem like world class players in the highest difficulty settings. Also, they're very repetitive games. Especially if you play against the CPU.

Powder
04-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much a fully Nintendo guy with the other stuff I mix in being Valve IP's & indie games that feel like Nintendo ones. :trazz:

Prowler
04-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much a fully Nintendo guy with the other stuff I mix in being Valve IP's & indie games that feel like Nintendo ones. :trazz:
Ever played Shovel Knight?

CyberCubed
04-20-2016, 07:37 PM
Come to think of it there's a lot I don't play:

- Sports games. I don't play any realistic sports titles

- Music games. Like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, no.

- Racing games. Aside from Mario Kart, F-zero, etc. I do like racing segments in other games though.

- Puzzle games. I own Tetris DS, that's the only puzzle game I need.

- JRPG's. As I said, I don't play these anymore. Slow paced gameplay with anime tropes and repetitive grinding, meh.

- Online FPS. I play some of these, but I don't spend much time playing competitive first person shooters online. I like FPS in general, as long as they do something new and different.

- Life sims. Bored of Animal Crossing, Sims, etc.

- Party/casual games. Nope.

- Strategy games. Unless Nintendo brings back Advance Wars, I don't play any others.

- Fighters is a mixed bag for me. I do still like Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, etc...but they get re-released too often with too much DLC so I skip a lot of them now.

What I mostly play are action/adventure games, platformers, third person shooters, various open world games (although these get tiring too), and some western RPG's, but I don't care for Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls anymore either.

Prowler
04-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Come to think of it there's a lot I don't play:

- Sports games. I don't play any realistic sports titles

- Music games. Like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, no.

- Racing games. Aside from Mario Kart, F-zero, etc. I do like racing segments in other games though.

- Puzzle games. I own Tetris DS, that's the only puzzle game I need.

- JRPG's. As I said, I don't play these anymore. Slow paced gameplay with anime tropes and repetitive grinding, meh.

- Online FPS. I play some of these, but I don't spend much time playing competitive first person shooters online. I like FPS in general, as long as they do something new and different.

- Life sims. Bored of Animal Crossing, Sims, etc.

- Party/casual games. Nope.

- Strategy games. Unless Nintendo brings back Advance Wars, I don't play any others.

- Fighters is a mixed bag for me. I do still like Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, etc...but they get re-released too often with too much DLC so I skip a lot of them now.

What I mostly play are action/adventure games, platformers, third person shooters, various open world games (although these get tiring too), and some western RPG's, but I don't care for Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls anymore either.
I don't play Puzzle games either except for the occasional Tetris. I like the "puzzles" in Zelda games, though. And I liked Dr. Mario for the NES.

Music games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band? Never saw the appeal of those. I'd rather just learn how to play a real guitar myself.

I own the PS2 post of The Sims 2 which is considered to be quite bad but I enjoyed the time I've spent on it. A shame I wasn't into PC gaming back when The Sims 2 was the latest Sims game. I bet I'd have enjoyed it. The amount of expansions was insane, though.

Animal Crossing is strangely addicting. Even if I spend most of the time collecting shells, digging for fossils and selling fish in order to gain enough cash to pay my debt to Tom Nook.

I cannot play fighters against the CPU any more ever since I decided to try Street Fighter 4 online and older SF and KOF games on Fightcade.

Powder
04-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Ever played Shovel Knight?

Absolutely, I have it on my Wii U. Unfortunately, I couldn't get very far. :tlol: There's some phantom boss I can't beat.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Games I don't play:

Most sports games- I'm not into sports IRL, so I'm not really into in games, either.

Racing games- Other than the occasional round or two of Burnout 3 or Need For Speed Most Wanted, I steer clear of most of these. Not my bag.

FPS- I'm not really into most of these. Halo is fun, and I've played a few others that ate sci-fi or fantasy based, but the ultra-realistic military combat type stuff usually bores me.

Music games- Never understood the appeal of these. They do nothing for me.

Dance games- About the same as music. I can already dance better than most of the crap in these games. Why would I want to play a game where it looks like having convulsions in an epileptic fit?!

CC: "What I mostly play are action/adventure games, platformers, third person shooters, various open world games (although these get tiring too), and some western RPG's...." Pretty much this. Though I'm the opposite with the DA and ES games- LOVE 'em! Along with some stealth/action games (Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed), and some classic fighters.

tmnt transformer
04-20-2016, 08:53 PM
I could never get into MMO type games or the street fighter like games. I love games like xenoblade, fire emblem, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, mega man, sports games,racing, etc.

chrisdude
04-20-2016, 10:54 PM
I'm not nuts about shooters. I buy all the Warfare series CoD games, but just for the campaigns. They're thrilling, immersive stories. I like The Division and Fallout, too. But I have no interest in competitive matches. I've got CoD I've never played online. Even the novelty of Battlefront only held my attention for a few days. I guess a good story will carry me through, but the actual gameplay of a shooter doesn't really hold my attention.

I don't know what genre you'd call it, but I've started four or five Zelda games, and I always get bored with them. I don't find the stories compelling, and dungeons feel like a chore.

I don't watch sports, but I do play some of the games. I don't buy them every year, but I enjoy FIFA and NBA2K. I'm also falling in love with UFC 2. I dig the complexity of them.

Prowler
04-20-2016, 10:58 PM
I don't watch sports, but I do play some of the games. I don't buy them every year, but I enjoy FIFA and NBA2K. I'm also falling in love with UFC 2. I dig the complexity of them.
Now this is something you don't hear everyday. A person who doesn't like sports going out of their way to play sports games?

Is FIFA really that complex nowadays? And I hear people complaining all the time about opponents online only picking the strongest sides such as Barcelona and Bayern.

I've watched about 20 NBA games in my entire life, but I did have fun with NBA 2k11 back when it came out for a while. I liked that mode where you could create yourself into the game and give post-match press conferences. I never got to finish my season at the New York Knicks, though.

Toitlefan
04-20-2016, 11:54 PM
I could never get into sports games except NBA Jam and a couple of boxing games.
Fighting games are hard to appreciate these days as well. The only one I can get into is Marvel vs Capcom. The appeal of fighting games diminished when the arcade machines disappeared. Maybe I'm just not that good at them but they generally feel like there's too much button mashing going on.

Prowler
04-21-2016, 12:01 AM
I could never get into sports games except NBA Jam and a couple of boxing games.
Fighting games are hard to appreciate these days as well. The only one I can get into is Marvel vs Capcom. The appeal of fighting games diminished when the arcade machines disappeared. Maybe I'm just not that good at them but they generally feel like there's too much button mashing going on.
You can play with an arcade pad if you want to. And nowadays it's easier to find people to play with you with online play.

Button mashing? Try that online against a decent player and you'll go down fast.

Toitlefan
04-21-2016, 12:17 AM
You can play with an arcade pad if you want to. And nowadays it's easier to find people to play with you with online play.

Button mashing? Try that online against a decent player and you'll go down fast.

I think that's why I have a hard time getting into them. Fighting games get too repetitive for me and I get bored with them. It takes a lot of time and patience to get good at them and then it feels like you never really accomplish anything. I guess I just like my storylines too much.

CyberCubed
04-21-2016, 01:17 AM
To be honest I even got bored of playing the mainline Pokemon games, which is something I never thought I'd say given how big a Pokemon fan I was a decade ago.

After 6 generations, 3 sets of remakes, and all the third versions...all the Pokemon games are pretty much the same. Sure, if you're into competitive battling and like the individual pokemon from each region, or like the region themselves and the various Gym leaders stories its still good, but otherwise? I'm burnt out.

Outside the battle system, the Pokemon games don't change much since its always the same 8 Gym set-up and Elite 4, and the actual way you play through the games is always the same. So if you don't care about competitive battling and raising an awesome team and going through all that...the interest is lost.

I now prefer just to look at all the new pokemon designs in pictures or fanart rather than playing the games to capture any of them, lol.

ProactiveMan
04-21-2016, 04:21 AM
I don't like RPGs in general; I can stomach RPG elements in other types of games, but I can't get into pure RPGs.

I've never liked RTS games either; they feel like more work than play to me.

Freeman
04-21-2016, 06:10 AM
Admitting I'm terrible at first person shooters, I never felt enjoying them either.
Despite beeing a graphic adventure lover backin the times, I couldn't get into the Phoenix Right series.
Also suck a bit at puzzle games.

Prowler
04-21-2016, 09:13 AM
I think that's why I have a hard time getting into them. Fighting games get too repetitive for me and I get bored with them. It takes a lot of time and patience to get good at them and then it feels like you never really accomplish anything. I guess I just like my storylines too much.

Competitive fighting can be pretry daunting, yes. But it wouldn't feel so rewarding if you could become a fighting game master after 2-3 weeks. Admitedly I do feel discouraged at times. And when you face stronger opponents you gotta accept the fact that you will lose retty much every time. But every time I win a bout I get a thrill that makes wanna keep on playing.

You just gotta find players that are challenging enough for you but not impossible to beat. I don't want to become an EVO contender level player. I just want to be good enough to fight against my friends online and have a good time.

Wesley
04-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Strategy: I lost interest in them, as they're too slow-paced for my tastes now.

I could never get into MMORPGs, city management games music games or beat-em ups except River City Ransom.

FPS: I liked playing a few James Bond shooters years ago, but got tired of them. The last Bond game I got was Goldeneye for the Wii and I was terrible at it (still stuck on the second level). I didn't like that a lot of enemies would appear out of nowhere to attack me. I thought it wasn't that bad in the older games.

Prowler
04-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Admitting I'm terrible at first person shooters, I never felt enjoying them either.
Despite beeing a graphic adventure lover backin the times, I couldn't get into the Phoenix Right series.
Also suck a bit at puzzle games.
Phoenix Wright is fun. Capcom was able to combine defense attorney with detective work. It seems like a simple idea on paper, but it takes some work to actually pull it well. The problem is, due to the linearity of the games and knowing how to solve a case once you finish it the games end up having low replay value.