PDA

View Full Version : What was your Music journey?

Krutch
04-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Wasn't sure what else to call it... But I'm just curious what your musical path has been going back as far as you can remember.

Mine was something like this...
When I was a kid, it was Prozzak, Will Smith, and WWE theme songs. My parents had a constant playlist of Rob Stewart and Michael Bolton, so I didn't have the luxury of developing a great taste in music growing up. Though I certainly learned what I didn't like :lol:

From there I kind of dipped into a mix of Our Lady Peace, Nirvana, Offspring, and Rob Zombie. I think NuMetal became about to blow up so I was into Limp Bizkit, Korn, Mudvayne, Puddle of Mudd, Drowning Pool...(and yes, Insane Clown Posse & Twiztid.)

It was around this time I discovered my favourite band, Thousand Foot Krutch(hence the alias).

After the aggressive and loud NuMetal era, I began to mellow out and got into bands like Switchfoot, Lifehouse, and Steadman. I also began diving into Classic Rock and getting a real appreciation for it. I can now confidently say "Classic Rock" is my favourite genre, and easily the most common type I listen to.

And honestly... from there I haven't really "grown" in my tastes. Post college is when nostalgia begins to hit so you just kind of go back and begin to cycle through what you used to listen to. Yeah, there's the occasional "new" song to throw in the mix, but the songs are so few and far between its not really noteworthy.

I guess you can say in the last 2 years or so I've been interested in the New Retro Wave scene with names like Trevor Something and Timecop1983 at the forefront.

What's your journey?

Wesley
04-27-2016, 11:11 AM
I grew up on video game music. I got into mainstream music late. I didn't pay much attention to it until a few years ago, but I still had a nostalgia rush around that time, as I remembered a lot of songs and bands/artists that I didn't know the names of. I think it's easier nowadays to discover new music by using iTunes or YouTube rather than having to listen to the radio. I can also listen to previews of albums on iTunes without having to buy an album first.

My music taste has changed over the years. I used to be a big fan of video game music and nu-metal, but got tired of a lot of it more recently. I embraced music that is more upbeat and optimistic but still has an edge to it and started having a varied taste in music.

At the moment, I listen to most genres of music and usually like at least one artist from a genre. I listen to bands like Oasis, Bon Jovi, the Beatles, the Corrs, the Offspring, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.

TigerClaw
04-27-2016, 11:17 AM
I been listening to electronic music since the late 80s early 90s and still listen electronic music to this day, anything mainstream doesn't appeal to me, I'm more into the underground sounds.

Prowler
04-27-2016, 03:51 PM
I hate to be "that guy", but I already talked about mine in this thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=46947).

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-29-2016, 12:08 PM
I grew up on video game music. I got into mainstream music late. I didn't pay much attention to it until a few years ago, but I still had a nostalgia rush around that time, as I remembered a lot of songs and bands/artists that I didn't know the names of. I think it's easier nowadays to discover new music by using iTunes or YouTube rather than having to listen to the radio. I can also listen to previews of albums on iTunes without having to buy an album first.

My music taste has changed over the years. I used to be a big fan of video game music and nu-metal, but got tired of a lot of it more recently. I embraced music that is more upbeat and optimistic but still has an edge to it and started having a varied taste in music.

At the moment, I listen to most genres of music and usually like at least one artist from a genre. I listen to bands like Oasis, Bon Jovi, the Beatles, the Corrs, the Offspring, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.

What videogame music did you like? Early videogame music was too electronic but today producer just put any ordinary music into videogame music .

TheSkeletonMan939
04-29-2016, 12:13 PM
I never really cared for music until in 2011, my rabid fascination with the Harry Potter franchise drove me to search for the music used in the trailer for Deathly Hallows Pt. II, plus the soundtracks to all 8 movies.

I quickly found taste in production trailer music and film scores, and I haven't touched mainstream music in years.

Krutch
04-29-2016, 12:17 PM
I hate to be "that guy", but I already talked about mine in this thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=46947).You totally are that guy. But thanks. I tried looking for a thread like this before I started a this one. Must have slipped under the radar. My bad.

Wesley
04-29-2016, 02:11 PM
I never really cared for music until in 2011, my rabid fascination with the Harry Potter franchise drove me to search for the music used in the trailer for Deathly Hallows Pt. II, plus the soundtracks to all 8 movies.

I quickly found taste in production trailer music and film scores, and I haven't touched mainstream music in years.

I never paid much attention to mainstream music until a few years ago when I became interested in looking up the songs that were used in the Irish tv show Reeling in the Years. I discovered some of my favourite bands/artists that way and started having a varied taste in music then. iTunes and YouTube were good for finding out if I really liked an artist by being able to listen to songs without having to buy them first.

What videogame music did you like? Early videogame music was too electronic but today producer just put any ordinary music into videogame music .

I liked music from the following games:
Sonic The Hedgehog series
Broken Sword
Skies of Arcadia
Golden Sun series
Pokemon series
Yugioh series

Also, I liked hearing songs from the Offspring and Bad Religion when playing Crazy Taxi even though I didn't know what the singers were singing about most of the time and misheard some of the lyrics. I just liked the songs back then because they sounded good. :lol: