PDA

View Full Version : This is how I think Irma is useful.

ticktack
04-27-2016, 02:52 PM
1. This time in 2012 cartoon Irma represents a smart girl, education-involved, and for that, pretty good expample for a kid-aimed show.
2. for a history that's missing women with great intelectual talents and achievements than men who are massively represented worldwide.
3. for nowdays for men, when they appear smart, they think that a girl not yet appearing as much smart, the man thinks it is actually normal for a girl being dumber, and dumber than men. If she is smart then that's not ordinary or wrongfully thought to be rare.

She's pretty, she's nor dumb nor stereotyped ugly nerd overall. She's different now. Irma-the-awesome 2012 .

Autbot_Benz
04-27-2016, 02:56 PM
1. This time in 2012 cartoon Irma represents a smart girl, education-involved, and for that, pretty good expample for a kid-aimed show.
2. for a history that's missing women with great intelectual talents and achievements than men who are massively represented worldwide.
3. for nowdays for men, when they appear smart, they think that a girl not yet appearing as much smart, the man thinks it is actually normal for a girl being dumber, and dumber than men. If she is smart then that's not ordinary or wrongfully thought to be rare.

She's pretty, she's nor dumb nor stereotyped ugly nerd overall. She's different now. Irma-awesome the 2012 .

Irma doesn't exist she is a robotic shell for the Kraang.

ticktack
04-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Autbot_Benz, if she exists, she is useful.

ticktack
04-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Off topic, but I, as well, think the same way with <<Big hero 6>>.
Reason again: It represents smart children, education-involved, and for that, pretty good expample for a kid-aimed show. Also various race involved.

neatoman
04-27-2016, 03:03 PM
... Uh, ticktack, how many episodes have you watched? We've known since the end of season two that Irma was an android body for Kraang Sub-Prime. In addition to that, any notion of there being a "real" Irma was smashed when it turned out Sub-Prime stole the design from the Utrom council member Rook.

Utrommaniac
04-27-2016, 03:09 PM
If they were to re-employ Irma as a character and April's friend, the best way to go about it would be for Rook to claim the part - maybe even letting April and the others call her Irma "just because". Granted, "Irma" would still be an interdimensional alien, but she would be more authentic than SubPrime was.

Irma was only ever a disguise, and as much as that sucks, that's just the way it happened. Tumblring around that twist is not going to change that.

The Happy One
04-27-2016, 04:29 PM

She's pretty, she's nor dumb nor stereotyped ugly nerd overall. She's different now. Irma-the-awesome 2012 .

Hmmm...that's nice and all, but she's dead...in fact 'Irma' never existed. :ohwell:

I thought that was kinda established a while ago, Tick.

oldmanwinters
04-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Autbot_Benz, if she exists, she is useful.

You've got the attention of René Descartes, I'm sure.

srmff
04-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Irma isn't needed as a role model to children. Children know the difference between the real world and fiction. I know plenty of pretty and smart girls. Girls tend to do better in school than boys and that's not a case of girls being smarter than guys. It's merely just girls working hard and applying themselves to a subject. For a lot of girls they see their intelligence as part of their identity and they like to live up to it. In a similar way to weight. If a girl doesn't feel smart, she feels worse about herself. If a girl does badly in school it tends to affect them more than guys.

If anything it's the guys who need more male role models who are smart and aren't made fun of for being smart. Guys tend to want to be athletic and have a good time with friends. They want to be laid back about it. Guys just seem to have a way of getting by without doing much. In the end I know plenty of smart guys and girls. Back in my school year we all knew who the smartest person in the class was and it was a girl. No guy felt smarter or superior to her and I've never come across a guy that made me feel like that. I honestly don't know where this stuff comes from or people just accept this as the truth for some reason to make it seem like women aren't being treated the same as men so people can still say there's a lack of gender equality. Of course I'm speaking in general terms and not all guys and girls are the same. There are plenty of girls who are only in college for a good time and partying and don't care about exams as long as they pass. Just like there are guys who do work hard and achieve the best that they possibly can.

I just can't fathom why people keep clinging onto this character. Okay she was smart but she was also annoying. She never added anything to the story. She was just the friend who didn't do anything. Making her Subprime was probably the best use of the character. It was nice to know that April had a friend at school but she has Casey now so she's not alone. It's not as if the show's about April anyway. I just don't feel that it's necessary to have an extra character that doesn't do anything but takes up time just to reach some gender quota.

Utrommaniac
04-27-2016, 04:52 PM
I absolutely agree; I don't even see how she was "nerdy", besides the way she dressed and wore glasses. Intelligence is not synonymous with nerdiness, and she only had her intelligence because she was just a disguise for SubPrime.
Sure, there are some flaws with the reveal, like how he was spying on her before the time was right, but it would have been the plan all along.

My big issue with the SubPrime Was Irma All Along is that April was never given the chance to deal with it. She was never able to eventually come down to the point where she could be upset that her friend had been a spy the whole time. And considering the female friendship, she probably told Irma-SubPrime a lot of...personal information that he would never be able to cleanse from his mind. Naturally, this would be embarrassing for April as well.

ticktack
04-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Srmff, We don't live under gender quota, in fact we live getting inspired. ;)

ticktack
04-27-2016, 05:01 PM
You've got the attention of René Descartes, I'm sure.

And he's got mine. Actually, what are you trying to tell me? :D I'm curious. ^_^
P.S. Text me.

matteso586
04-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Want my opinion? Rook is probably created to be a mix of the trope categories, "Author's Saving Throw", and "Take That Audience".

ToTheNines
04-27-2016, 07:41 PM
I think ticktack is an alcoholic.

shredder orokusaki
04-28-2016, 01:51 AM

But Irma dones not exist in this series. It was only a Utrom robot and nothign more. Howver ther can be another girl character i mean a new girl character similar to Irma on season 5 or at the end of season 4. Just because Irma dont exist dosent mean that they can not have another character simialr to her.

The Happy One
04-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Srmff, We don't live under gender quota, in fact we live getting inspired. ;)

There was, nor is, anything inspiring about Irma. Sure she was smart and made snarky comments, but that was about it. If they kept her that would've been neat- but they didn't and it's been, what-? A year or two now? :roll:

She was cool and all but, I really can't fathom how she was inspirational considering we only saw her for a few minutes in like five or so episodes save for the season 2 finale and the Ghost episode. Sorry, Tick, but I don't follow you on this.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
04-28-2016, 06:41 AM
It's still not known if there is a human Irma who the Kraang later decided to disguise at. A Kraang inside a robot would for example smash the Ratking's cage.

srmff
04-28-2016, 07:30 AM
It's still not known if there is a human Irma who the Kraang later decided to disguise at. A Kraang inside a robot would for example smash the Ratking's cage.

I think that it was revealed that the utrom named Rook came up with the design and that Subprime stole her design. That would mean that it wasn't based on any person since she came up with the design herself. I could be wrong though.

TurtleTitan97
04-28-2016, 07:33 AM

Oh good grief, how many times is this show gonna prove to you people that Irma wasn't real in the first place?? :roll:

She's robot, end of story. Accept it and move on.

MaximeLoonatic
04-28-2016, 07:46 AM
But she was planned to be human in the first place, and Ciro and Auman hinted that they might bring her back

TurtleTitan97
04-28-2016, 07:50 AM
But she was planned to be human in the first place, and Ciro and Auman hinted that they might bring her back

Ciro also said we'd get the story of how Raph got that crack on his plastron. What's your point?

And when the heck was it ever stated Irma was originally planned to be human in this show???

neatoman
04-28-2016, 08:38 AM
Like a lot of their statemenats, I'm gonna have to call ******** on that.

The statement about Irma originally being human involved them changing their minds after getting feedback from viewers, but one of the earliest storyboards shown from that season was from Pizza Face, so chances are that the finale was already in production before season 2 aired.

And even if they did say they were thinking of bringing back a human version of the character, they clearly went with another Utrom instead.

Utrommaniac
04-28-2016, 08:40 AM
There was a disguise to keep up.
But one should also remember when Irma was at a control panel in the very same episode and "accidentally" killed a bunch of rats.

They did bring Irma back...as Rook. Rook is the best anyone is going to get for a "real" Irma.

Powder
04-28-2016, 01:18 PM

LET IT GO! :oops:

Autbot_Benz
04-28-2016, 01:24 PM

no they didn't she is a shell for the utrom GET OVER IT

IndigoErth
04-28-2016, 01:26 PM
I feel like this thread started already in the middle of a conversation...

Anyhow. It would have been interesting to see how this Irma played out as a human character, but I like the clever twist they added by bringing Utrom into it with a good one being the original Irma android owner, and presumably a female Utrom alongside Queen. Surely we'll be seeing them again as the Turtles continue to try to get rid of the Kraang.

shredder orokusaki
04-28-2016, 01:51 PM
The question now is why Rook decided to make a robot that looks like a human teenage girl if she didnt know how human girls look like? Where did she took the idea of Irma robot apperance? Rook must have see some girls on earth and decided to create a robot that looks like one of them.

Utrommaniac
04-28-2016, 01:52 PM
And why she just happens to have two bodies that are just slightly different colors from each other. Unless she built the second one after Subprime stole the first.

IndigoErth
04-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I've wondered about that as well, why they look human. Would have made sense if they were all on Earth at one point and the Utroms broke off and left when the Kraang went bad, but not sure that is, or even could be, the case if the Kraang came already with the intention of mutating Earth to their needs.

(Although the somewhat malfunctioning French stereotype android has me more confused. lol)

If Nick wants to just really twist it up further... bring the Utrom to Earth, have it turn out that Rook is indeed female and young as far as Utrom aging goes, and make it that she's genetically related to the alien part of April, so now April and Utrom Irma/Rook can be BFFs. lol

ticktack
04-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I've wondered about that as well, why they look human. Would have made sense if they were all on Earth at one point and the Utroms broke off and left when the Kraang went bad, but not sure that is, or even could be, the case if the Kraang came already with the intention of mutating Earth to their needs.

(Although the somewhat malfunctioning French stereotype android has me more confused. lol)

If Nick wants to just really twist it up further... bring the Utrom to Earth, have it turn out that Rook is indeed female and young as far as Utrom aging goes, and make it that she's genetically related to the alien part of April, so now April and Utrom Irma/Rook can be BFFs. lol
No, relatives.

ticktack
04-28-2016, 02:46 PM
The question now is why Rook decided to make a robot that looks like a human teenage girl if she didnt know how human girls look like? Where did she took the idea of Irma robot apperance? Rook must have see some girls on earth and decided to create a robot that looks like one of them.
Uuu-huh. ``

Utrommaniac
04-28-2016, 03:01 PM

I am down for that so hard

04-28-2016, 04:13 PM

The Kraang claimed to have arrived on Earth using their mutagen on monkeys speeding up evolution millions of years ago. Maybe just something they said, but they still seem to know much of Earth and humanity.

LeotheLateBloomer
04-28-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm afraid you're going to have to face the fact that Irma in this series is indeed a robotic suit for the Utrom/Kraang. There really is no need to look further into this. She was never real and will never be in human form. This show is different from the OT and she really won't add anything to the series at this point.

KrN
04-28-2016, 09:39 PM
It is a shame that Irma doesn't really exist. I liked her character a lot and April definitely deserves a good girlfriend (ahem, Karai, your turn) but I do agree that she definitely added some good representation for teenage girls.

At times I really want more female characters on the show since there's a severe lack of them; they either become mutated or are one-off's like Tang-Shen/April's mum, but I really rather they don't if all female characters are going to be resorted to love interests. Mona would have been a hell of a lot more interesting as a female warrior that didn't fall in love so quickly. I blame the lack of build-up for that.

High hopes for Gwendoline Yeo's character! She has scenes with Karai and Shredder, so I'm very much looking forward to her (:

04-29-2016, 04:08 AM
Since this is a well-known TMNT forum, there is some chance producers are reading here right now, notice all complainments and decide to introduce a human Irma.

Shark_Blade
04-29-2016, 04:30 AM

Source?

I refuse to believe without evidence.

04-29-2016, 04:59 AM
Source?

I refuse to believe without evidence.

If she'd been planned to be a Kraang, it would probably happen earlier.

Powder
04-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Since this is a well-known TMNT forum, there is some chance producers are reading here right now, notice all complainments and decide to introduce a human Irma.

Don't be foolish. First off, they already know about the vocal minority, but that's what y'all are; a minority. Secondly, they're hounded about it all the God-damn time on Instagram, & that is exactly why she has been made out to be a mere robot, not once, but twice. 'Cause y'all are annoying as hell & deserve a bait & switch. :tlol:

Papenbrook
04-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Irma was only ever a disguise, and as much as that sucks, that's just the way it happened. Tumblring around that twist is not going to change that.

That's a damn shame.

The show could have used another female character.

Utrommaniac
04-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Utrom Queen
Rook
Queen Hiidrala

That's three new female characters, besides Mona Lisa, this season...and all of them with tremendous power as leaders of their people. Two of them are queens! Good-aligned queens! I don't think there has ever been female Utroms in charge of their society ever. Going by chess rules, the queen is the most powerful piece on the board, followed by the rook. So if the Utroms are going by those rules, Rook is Queen's second in command. Even Bishop might have to answer to Rook, even if she's possibly younger and less skilled in the fighting department. And he's Bishop.

Heroes in a Half Shell also had General Zera. And let me just stress that she's the Triceraton General. Tricertons who might as well be the Manly Man Maningtons of military force in TMNT, and at one point, there was a female in charge of their entire military. Who was twice the size of all the others. Zera is also the first female Triceraton in the whole of TMNT history, and they made the first one head of the military.
While we might not see her again, I highly doubt never seeing Queen or Rook again. It might not be any time soon, because they're busy looking after a dying species (and a seemingly better job than Quanin ever did in IDW).

So, with her and Mona Lisa in mind, we're at five new female characters. The nice thing about them is that authority is not questioned, least of all because they're females. They're respected and admired. Though we might not get a whole lot of them, that's good enough for me. They have better things to do than getting involved with whatever the turtles are getting into. MAYBE Queen and Rook would get involved to help bring down the Kraang once and for all, but after that, they'd probably get back to their own business.

But there's just one more thing to repeat as everyone else has.

Rook is Irma now.

Irma's not totally gone, her species and role in the world is just different. She might not be a sarcastic dork, but she's second in command of her civilization. She's Irma with loads and loads of power and responsibility. She's part of a ruling council. We might as well just call her Princess Irma!...But we won't because that sounds a little silly.

04-29-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm afraid you're going to have to face the fact that Irma in this series is indeed a robotic suit for the Utrom/Kraang. There really is no need to look further into this. She was never real and will never be in human form. This show is different from the OT and she really won't add anything to the series at this point.

When even April's origin is more of the sci-fi type in this series, it needs an ordinary Irma even more to balance it up.

Utrommaniac
04-29-2016, 04:05 PM
And that's why we have Casey as an ordinary human.

TurtleTitan97
04-29-2016, 04:08 PM
When even April's origin is more of the sci-fi type in this series, it needs an ordinary Irma even more to balance it up.

No it freaking doesn't. :roll:

Irma is not real, deal with it.

04-29-2016, 04:38 PM
And that's why we have Casey as an ordinary human.

Yes, but we need more such characters, both male and female.

srmff
04-30-2016, 05:01 PM
If she'd been planned to be a Kraang, it would probably happen earlier.

She was introduced in the same season that she was revealed to be a Kraang. I'd say that they'd already have a good idea of the season finale even before the episodes in between the first and last episodes are planned out. Of course I could be wrong and once they get to the finale it's a matter of someone saying, 'Hey, how about another invasion?' :lol:

04-30-2016, 05:05 PM
She was introduced in the same season that she was revealed to be a Kraang. I'd say that they'd already have a good idea of the season finale before the episodes in between the first and last episode are planned out. Of course I could be wrong and once they get to the finale it's a matter of someone saying, 'Hey, how about another invasion?' :lol:

Wasn't there some text message with "Irma" April had during season 1 (which would indicate she was at least, in some form, planned earlier)?

GoldMutant
04-30-2016, 05:27 PM
Wasn't there some text message with "Irma" April had during season 1 (which would indicate she was at least, in some form, planned earlier)?

Season 1, episode 11 Mousers Attack!- brief appearance of her on April's caller ID for her phone. Then never brought up again until Mutagen Man Unleashed in season 2 as a nonspeaking role.

For God's sakes though, we've had the same discussion of Irma's existence long enough with several other threads, I think it's time to lock this thread as there's honestly nothing to contribute on the topic. It's a tiresome trend and people need to accept her being nothing more than a shell for Kraang Sub-Prime and the Utrom called Rook. Also, learn to take the creator's mouths with a grain of salt; I don't want to bring up Seth Macfarlane as my example, but whether poking fun with their fans or not, there's no point anymore. :ohwell:

04-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Season 1, episode 11 Mousers Attack!- brief appearance of her on April's caller ID for her phone. Then never brought up again until Mutagen Man Unleashed in season 2 as a nonspeaking role.

For God's sakes though, we've had the same discussion of Irma's existence long enough with several other threads, I think it's time to lock this thread as there's honestly nothing to contribute on the topic. It's a tiresome trend and people need to accept her being nothing more than a shell for Kraang Sub-Prime and the Utrom called Rook.

There were many such threads for Utrom Shredder when the 2003 TV series aired, some lasting until the end and people didn't stop complain until the 2012 TV series started.

ticktack
06-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Which of tmnt characters would fit those characters in this game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCDtqDSglxY

Could the first character be April for variety and against 1987 series female categorisation issue (+Sooby-doo too <:( )?

Reasons: April was a geek in 2003 and Mirage, IDW.

April in 2012 series wore glasses and braces before.

For Irma I can suggest "Legally Blonde" movie, the main girl was empty headed and spoke whore-like comments. But I really like her later development, she actually became a better girl (if you want to get me then watch the movie).

TurtleTitan97
06-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Geez, how many robot Irmas is this show gonna to have to kill before this issue dies??? :roll:

TurtleGuy
06-25-2016, 12:59 PM
I still think the whole "Irma was a Kraang" bit was rushed and felt like something that was thrown together at the last minute. I can accept that "Irma's" gone now, but I just think it could've been handled much better.

If there's one huge minus about this show, it's how it handles some characters(see: Timothy/Mutagen Man and Karai).

ticktack
07-21-2016, 03:14 PM
*puppyeyes*

So before I wanted to understand the 80's Irma's behaviour context, but I didn't understood her and in a result I thought she's an idiot, obsessed w/ 18+ adult matherial (iykwim) (which I truly see as a bad, unhygienic, undisciplined behaviour) and she was represented in a sexist way - to laugh at.
I tell you, I never was in her shoes (I could have my other social problems), this is how:
1. I am charming.
2. In my "right" age (like, not too old, isn't relevant, but maybe it's ok, right?)
3. the boys I prefer, (their character was initially felt and calculated) wouldn't leave me (I might name it as an inner purity).
4. I didn't date multiply boys, didn't 1, couldn't or idk.

So you ask, why I give an attention to Irma again:
1. female character addition to a boy aimed show.
2. an old Main :ohwell: character.
3. who the hell was she, what was she doing actually :tmad:? And a way of revamping. :teek:

So I'll give an article on how I could understand her older character and :trolleye: behaviour better:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/11/taylor-swift-blank-space-video-woman-boy-crazy
Here's also a part of another article, as an addition to the previous one, in which I'd agree on that the yandere mode is disgusting and disturbing:
"Intimate Partner Violence Is [not] Cute and Amusing in Some Contexts".
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/09/taylor-swift-white-feminism/

Enjoy! :trazz:

TurtleTitan97
07-21-2016, 03:17 PM
No one cares. :roll:

ticktack
07-21-2016, 03:38 PM
If it is how you talk, TurtleTitan97, then I don't care of your negative opinion. Just chill out and don't be mean. :)

TurtleTitan97
07-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Not being mean, I'm being honest.

This show has better things to deal with than the subject of Irma. The sooner you accept the fact she doesn't exist in this universe and isn't coming, the better it will be for you.

Autbot_Benz
07-21-2016, 04:14 PM
TickTack give it up Irma doesn't exist

http://i.imgur.com/6fJUAw3.gif

Konchadunga
07-21-2016, 08:44 PM
I find it less irritating that Irma was actually a Kraang than that a Kraang was actually Irma. I'm not a big fan of outrage culture, but they had to know they were stepping on viewers' toes when they teased the revival of a vintage character many were fond of, and then smacked people in the face with subversion. If they had just made her nothing more than a random girl who was as generally unremarkable as Irma was in the show, and had that girl be Kraang Subprime, I doubt there would have been much objection, but in this case they were dealing with Fred Wolf material that only relatively recently remerged after Peter Laird's petty cultural revolution against it; they should have known they were kicking a hornet's nest, so I don't mind at all if they're still being stung.

As for myself, I have no real attachment to the character, but I find the series' overall worldbuilding to be so shallow that any loss of a supporting cast hurts. Of course, the flipside is that since then, they've started getting a bit better at populating their city streets with incidentals, and Kraang Subprime is actually an entertaining character. I can't say his presence really makes his species worthwhile villains, though; they really need to dig deeper into his and the Utrom's backstory.

Unworthy tinker
07-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Why do some people latch onto Irma coming back anyways? Look, I didn't mind 80's Irma (I actually did wish that she found a good boyfriend by the end of series), but for effs sake, she was a Kraang disguise!!! Nothing more.

That's it, the end, she's gone.
https://lolzthatswim.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/let-it-go-meme.png

Powder
07-21-2016, 08:50 PM
There's only like 2-3 people who are mad a character from the OT they like got nixed, the bulk of this "outrage" you speak of was from Tumblrinas who wanted more female characters.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-21-2016, 08:51 PM
This is still a discussion...?

Did people hold on to the issue of Shredder being Ch'rell as badly as this back in the 4Kids day? I mean, I understand personal preference; we've all got one. But it's a lost cause.

Konchadunga
07-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Utrom Shredder irritates me far more than Kraang Irma could ever hope to. Kraang Irma was a plot-twist I despised, but it's not something that threw the whole show for a loop. Utrom Shredder was a tediously one-dimensional villain Sue who constantly came back to push more interesting plot points out of the limelight, and that was even before they brought in two other Shredders. Tying almost the whole concept of evil back to the concept of Oroku Saki was absolutely not something they should have done in what was otherwise a suitably mature and solid adaptation of the Mirage series.

On that note, though, what, canonically, is supposed to be up with Utrom Irma? (I forget her name; the one on the council.) What is it about the appearance of a teenage goth girl that makes two Kraang individuals gravitate to it? Particularly because when they're around people who know they're Kraang, they have no need to look like humans.

Utrommaniac
07-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Her name is Rook.

I'm assuming that for Rook, it's because she's a "teenager" as far as Utroms are concerned, or at least very young. From SubPrime's perspective, it's the perfect disguise from any perspective.

As for the goth part...I don't know. I guess they found it appropriate for the time period and thought that was just how human teenage girls were.