PDA

View Full Version : Is the Nick show going too far by having a second 80's crossover?

FredWolfLeonardo
05-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Now that we've had those tweets from both Rob and the instagram posts by Brandon Auman, we can be pretty sure that a second crossover with the 80's turtles is soon to come out next season.

Does anyone else feel that the Nick show is going too far after we already had a full crossover episode and two cameos in the past? Even before Trans-Dimensional Turtles, I felt that the cameos in Wormquake and the Wrath of Tiger Claw were enough. When Transdimensional Turtles came out, I really enjoyed the episode and thought it was a very good way of giving the ultimate tribute to the Fred Wolf Cartoon. However, I feel that the current show is going a bit too overboard by having the 80's turtles appear for like the 2nd/3rd time.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the Fred Wolf Cartoon and I'm sure that the upcoming crossover will be very fun, especially since we will be seeing the 80's shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady. But I think that having the 80's cast appear repeatedly would kind of taint the special feeling of them appearing once or twice. I hope the season 5 crossover will be Nick's final and ultimate love letter to the Fred Wolf cartoon and its fans, bidding farewell to the show on very good terms.

Personally, If I wanted to see alot more of the 80's turtles, I'd go and watch the Fred Wolf cartoon instead of repeated crossovers. We've had Turtles Forever, the two cameos and Trans-Dimensional Turtles. Do you think another crossover would be another good addition or will it be taking it too far? Leave your thoughts below.

Powder
05-05-2016, 07:22 PM
I'm the first guy to say we get too much FW stuff, when it comes to merch, for example, but in cases like these it's totally different. The original voice cast is super awesome, & after all these years, I am more than psyched to see them reprise their roles. That's the joy of it, for me. I doubt they'll take it much further than this, but even if they do, whatever. I love crossovers, especially when it's within one series' multi-verse, so I'll continue to eat it up.

I get the feeling that they're going to play a major part in helping the Nick turtles with something. I dunno what, but I don't think they'd be bringing these guys back simply to goof around. Think season finale. So that would be pretty rad, I think.

CyberCubed
05-05-2016, 08:03 PM
No. [/end thread]

GoldMutant
05-05-2016, 09:17 PM
I think I cracked the Cubed code, he hired a stunt double to post all his TMNT stuff so he doesn't need to keep coming while letting his real self get shown with Supergirl! It's genius..... or me a blinded idiot. :P

As for the topic at hand, eh I'm kinda indifferent. I think the Fred Wolf Turtles are alright in small doses, but it's kinda pushing itself. The rejuvenated characters from that era are fine (specifically Mondo personally as well as Bebop and Rocksteady), but I feel the more you crossover the less it's meaning has. Although Transdimensional Turtles was possibly the best episode of the space arc (for me, it's Arena of Carnage), it did it's job: test the waters on reactions among fans.

On the other hand, I don't see the point in a second crossover. While seeing the 80's Bebop, Rocksteady, and Shredder are bound to be popcorn entertainment, I personally feel as of now that it fits in season 5. At least with Krang and Sub-Prime it made sense, alien and traveling through dimensions. If season 5 is meant to be a spiritual story and the remainder of season 4 on other material, I don't see how the teams meeting can fit in story context.

Even though Fred Wolf TMNT has more respect to it in the show, I can't help but wonder if it's nostalgia to keep it alive 20 years after cancellation or respect. If it's another love letter, that's fine but a crossover in my eyes should advance the stories of the two teams. Barring Sub-Prime's hopeful demise, Transdimensional Turtles doesn't feel like story progression; it's fun, but that's about it. Why not take a Power Rangers route with the episode Reinforcements from the Future? That episode had the previous team, the Time Force Rangers, proceed with final stories to wrap their season and also gave the Wild Force team good moments too.

As of now, I say it's all in good fun, but outside that any extra crossovers are really pushing the boundaries. It wouldn't be as bad as a restart of the timeline of the Nickverse, but just loses luster after a while. I'd rather focus on the present, not the past unless it's to continue stories. Once we get more details, I might change my mind, but as of now I remain indifferent.

ABrown
05-05-2016, 10:11 PM
I think they went too far being having a second SEASON. No, but seriously. Yeah, it's hard to tell which obsession is worse: Nickelodeon's obsession with the original TMNT cartoon or Cybercubed's obsession with Melissa Benoist's Supergirl.

Allio
05-05-2016, 10:45 PM
I was burned out on the 87 pandering of Nick before the crossover happened.

so yeah

Shark_Blade
05-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Too far? Nonsense.

The more the merrier. I demand MORE OT ELEMENTS!! :tlove:

ssjup81
05-06-2016, 04:54 AM
For me, nope. They only had just one full episode. Why not give them a second one? Besides, they have the original voice cast. Why not use them?

neatoman
05-06-2016, 05:03 AM
Uh, yeah it's it's too much. Leave the Fred Wolf Turtles in the past so we can move forward.

Metalwolf
05-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Is it a bit much? Yeah. I think they would have been better off just having a 2-3 episode arc in place of some of the more fillerish space episodes (like the Wyrm one) and get the OT a proper sendoff. That way they can parade as many characters as they want while not looking like they can't let it go.

The only time I really see any of these crossovers as positive is if it develops the characters (or dimension) that is being crossed over. Otherwise it feels like pointless fanwank that pleases some but annoys others, along with being a somewhat transparent act to prop up a sagging show.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-06-2016, 10:31 AM
I think the crossover should have been once the turtles have returned to Earth.

Splinter the boss
05-06-2016, 02:21 PM
I think they went too far being having a second SEASON.

Really? Season 2 is yet one of the best of this show.

thundermaster612
05-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Well I'm starting to see a lot of hate for the Nick cartoon
but does anybody have pictures of the tweets and... grams?
idk I don't use instagram