PDA

View Full Version : The upcoming City at War episode

The Coffee Man
05-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Okay so I haven't really been following any TMNT news lately. In fact, I only got caught up last month when I saw that half the season was out after having not watched the show for a while and its not really due to lack of interest, I just have a hard time following the show since the airing schedule is horrendous and unpredictable.

So after not having heard anything for a while I decided to look up some news on the upcoming movie and anything regarding the show and I noticed that the next episode has been titled "City at War". Now this leaves me with a question: How the hell is this going to work? I know the story pretty well via the comic and 2003 show and it's about various factions fighting for control over the city after the Turtles have toppled the Shredder and looking at the show at the moment it's way too early to start this story arc in particular.

1. The Shredder is still very much alive and active. In the last episode he was just stopped from killing Splinter and if I recall correctly that's just about it. The Turtles didn't beat him (they never do) and Splinter just knocked him out, he wasn't killed or even crippled. He's still in a position of power and is still very much capable of dishing out some major damage.

2. This is also supposed to be the story in which Karai solidifies herself as the head of the foot clan and she's really not in a position to do so as Shredder is still active and she's still a mutant struggling to keep her mind in one piece.

Looking at the show, it's been pretty good at making loose adaptations of stories from the comics and I can't see this story working as nothing has been set up for that arc.

How is this going to work?

Powder
05-15-2016, 09:24 PM
It's obviously not going to be a clear cut adaption but rather thematically similar, so the name is an homage, much like The Manhattan Project was. I'm guessing this will be their humans vs mutants story.

tmntsplinterfan1997
05-15-2016, 10:47 PM
Though I was wondering about this humans vs mutants arc.

Don Vizoso's Italian mafias, Ivan Steranko's Russian mobs, Xever's South American gangs and Hun's Asian gangs/Purple Dragons that Shredder mentioned in "Casey Jones VS The Underworld" should be involved in City at War.

FredWolfLeonardo
05-16-2016, 03:15 AM
Ive never read the mirage comics but ive seen the 2k3 series city of war arc. Maybe its because im not that much of a fan of mirage, but i dont see anything bad about shredder being in city at war, even if that wasnt the case in the source material. I absolutely love watching shredder and i think we deserve to see alot of him after being missing for the space arc.

Regardless of whether nick chooses to make city at war a faithful adaption or their own spin on it, i feel like many people will bash it anyway. Have a different story and nick will be accused of not respecting the source material. Be a very faithful adaption and some people out there will criticise Nick's take for being unoriginal.

Story wise though, i think city at war will be shredder trying to turn the city against the turtles and mutants as a whole, being somewhat like lord dregg in the OT and utrom shredder (when posing to the public as a businessman).

It would be interesting to see how humans vs mutants turns out. Im betting that shredder's henchmen will turn against him eventually and help the turtles in trying to get mutants accepted into society. This diminishing of shredder's threat level seems to flow nicely into the mystical/spiritual episodes in early season 5 which i think would be able to work much better with shredder out of the way.

Icebot
05-16-2016, 08:20 AM
In the 4kids City At War episodes, Shredder was actually still alive but injured. I think the same thing is happening in the Nick cartoon since Shredder ended up down but not necessarily out during Earth's Last Stand. I'm guessing his followers might think he's dead and might start to fight for control.

Splinter the boss
05-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Why would they think he's dead when Tiger Claw was holding him "alive" in earth's last stand?

Penst0ck
05-16-2016, 07:28 PM
They may not think he's necessarily 'dead' but out of commission to lead his mob empire. The show might carrie the injuries Shredder received from this fight with Splinter over to City at War. Showing that Splinter possibly jacked him up that bad.

It's either that, or something just suddenly happens to him at the start of the episode.

Galactus
05-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Ive never read the mirage comics but ive seen the 2k3 series city of war arc. Maybe its because im not that much of a fan of mirage, but i dont see anything bad about shredder being in city at war, even if that wasnt the case in the source material. I absolutely love watching shredder and i think we deserve to see alot of him after being missing for the space arc.

Regardless of whether nick chooses to make city at war a faithful adaption or their own spin on it, i feel like many people will bash it anyway. Have a different story and nick will be accused of not respecting the source material. Be a very faithful adaption and some people out there will criticise Nick's take for being unoriginal.

Story wise though, i think city at war will be shredder trying to turn the city against the turtles and mutants as a whole, being somewhat like lord dregg in the OT and utrom shredder (when posing to the public as a businessman).

The whole point of City at War is what Foot does with no Shredder to lead it. They split into different factions and well...go to war.

If Nick series doesn't do anything like that then they should call it something else.

Foombamaroom
05-16-2016, 08:47 PM
The whole point of City at War is what Foot does with no Shredder to lead it. They split into different factions and well...go to war.

If Nick series doesn't do anything like that then they should call it something else.

Do you really expect them to do a somewhat faithful adaptation of that, though?

The only really faithful adaptation that I can think of that this show has done is the Leo one-shot (not the recovery, just the beat down.), but that's it. It's going to be radically different and in name only, with little teases and callbacks here and there.

Galactus
05-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Do you really expect them to do a somewhat faithful adaptation of that, though?

The only really faithful adaptation that I can think of that this show has done is the Leo one-shot (not the recovery, just the beat down.), but that's it. It's going to be radically different and in name only, with little teases and callbacks here and there.

Nope. That's not what the Nick show does but I do expect that if they are going to name an episode after an existing story it should keep the very basic premise of the story.

The 4kids show did in their own bare bones way. I don't expect Casey going on a road trip and falling in love with Gabrielle or Splinter turning to cannibalism or anything like that on a kids show but if it's an entirely new story, I say call it something else.

victory_angel
05-17-2016, 12:25 AM
Nope. That's not what the Nick show does but I do expect that if they are going to name an episode after an existing story it should keep the very basic premise of the story.

The 4kids show did in their own bare bones way. I don't expect Casey going on a road trip and falling in love with Gabrielle or Splinter turning to cannibalism or anything like that on a kids show but if it's an entirely new story, I say call it something else.

I don't know how close to the City at War story it would be.

likely possibilities.

Shredder is down and wounded following his last encounter with Splinter. While he's down, the other gangs try to seize power for themselves. Maybe Rocksteady and Bebop feel this is their chance to escape the Foot Clan since they really have no loyalty to the Shredder. They were given the choice of serve the Shredder or die at the Shredder's hand. And they agreed that they would serve Shredder for the time being.

Tiger Claw is also sorting out conflicting thoughts about the Foot Clan.

Turtles are settling back into the lair after being away in space. While the Shredder is down, Leo feels they should continue to search for Karai. This is where they not the civil unrest in the city. Leo feels they should do something about it. Raph feels this fight has nothing to do with them and they should leave things be. Donnie and Mikey's views are mixed in this since while they agree that they should leave things be and let the Foot Clan and bad guys in the city duke it out. They also know this event is affecting the numerous innocent people within the city as well.

Donnie falling through a floor and breaking his leg. This is something that happens in the mirage and it does lead to an emotionally conflicting period for him in that time. Namely, his stance when it comes to the battles he faces as a ninja and his pacifism. While Mirage has Donnie pick up a gun and kill a Foot Elite that was going to kill Karai before tossing said gun away as though horrified by what he has just done.

Do I see Nick Donnie picking up a gun and killing somebody...no. But yes falling through a floor and breaking his leg could be easily done for any sort of reason. To take him out of battle, to add him to a new conflict, to maybe get him to question his own standing as a ninja. The leg breaking could simply Donnie landing and then going into x-ray view on one leg and show the bone cracking or shifting to indicate breakage.

Ushering in the Humans vs. Mutants arc.
Footage of the Turtles is gathered by Joan Grody who immediately starts painting mutants as part of the conflict starting anti-mutant uprisings. Shredder possibly uses the conflict to his advantage against the Turtles and Mutanimals.

Headcannon possibilities
Perhaps Karai does make and appearance. Note: I may be wrong with this, but I still think Karai is still affected by the mind worms. She is free, but there are still those other worms in question. I know the glaring question is why wouldn't she return to the Shredder if she is still under the affect of the worms. And I can simply answer because she is aware of the worm that had been in her head.

One of the key things is that once the worm nests in a victim's head, the person is subconsciously aware of the worm. But the worms presence itself is suppressed on a conscious level. And once she coughed up the one worm its function becomes compromised because she is now consciously aware that thing had been in her body at all. Which is what would stop her from returning to the Shredder. Now that Karai is aware of the worm, the other worm or worms aren't able to maintain a hold on Karai's mind because she is now is aware that her mind is being suppressed.

Shadow is replaced with Chloe. Casey maybe finds her separated from her family because of all the conflicts. He brings her to the lair where she would be safe until she can be reunited with her parents.

bwrosas
05-18-2016, 05:51 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQLV4R-4Jw

My predictions for City at War

Powder
05-18-2016, 01:39 PM
26 minutes? You can't just write a few sentences here? :tlol: