PDA

View Full Version : Movies that make you feel old

CyberCubed
05-15-2016, 04:52 PM
I saw Batman 1989 in theaters when I was 4. Kids today haven't even seen the Nolan Batman movies in theaters.

Kids today consider Spiderman 2002 to be a "retro" movie. Hugh Jackman was only 31 years old when he played Wolverine for the first time in X-men 1, and that's pretty young considering most of us are close to or around that age.

Jake Lloyd who played Anakin in Phantom Menace is now in his 20's and in an insane asylum. lol.

Spike Spiegel
05-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Spy Kids (2001)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
Mulan (1999)

Any other Disney movie from the mid-to late '90s.

Also, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, which I saw in theaters, as well as the Ang Lee Hulk movie, which I saw on opening day.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Anything from the mid to late 80's. So many movies I saw in theaters and now when I see them on TV or watch on DVD I feel old.

chrisdude
05-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Growing up with the old Batman movies is weird. I guess anything that's been rebooted more successfully would.

I feel old whenever I watch the first Rush Hour. That movie just feels old, and I watched it in theaters. Ditto for Men in Black.

The Santa Clause and Jingle All the Way may very well become Christmas classics, so it's gonna be weird if my future grandchildren are watching them on TBS every year.

Utrommaniac
05-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Most Pixar movies. Especially A Bug's Life. It was the first Pixar trailer I ever saw. This one specifically.
cgcQJxrpIgs
My "feel old" list comes from the late 90's and early 2000's mostly. Probably Lion King onward to Monsters Inc.

Cure
05-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Nothing, really. I'm still young.

Prowler
05-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Space Jam and Toy Story.

sdp
05-15-2016, 09:20 PM
When I see stuff I grew up with celebrate anniversaries it definitely makes me feel old. It's not the same way as seeing Batman celebrate 75 years since to me he had been around forever than a franchise I watched as a kid celebrate its 25th anniversary.

The Deadman
05-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Anything before the 90s since I was born in the 80s

CyberCubed
05-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Toy Story came out in 1995, which is now over 20 years ago. I saw that in theaters as a kid. It was one of the first (if not first?) Pixar CG animated Disney movies, and the graphics still look good to this day.

Goddamn. When you say a Pixar movie like Toy Story is 20 years old I don't know how that can NOT make people feel old. Remember the days when most Disney movies were hand drawn?

Utrommaniac
05-15-2016, 11:50 PM
I would have been two years old when Toy Story came out, so of course I wouldn't have memories of it in theaters. But BOY do I have some Toy Story-based memories and nostalgia. I do remember my mom getting tickets to A Bug's Life over the phone, though. Not sure about Toy Story 2, but I recall being syched about it. And, for some reason, seeing Jessie and assuming she was Andy turned into a toy???

My grandma gave me a Jessie costume and both my brothers Buzz Lightyear costumes shortly before we went to Disney World in October 2000. "Woody" as quite nonplussed to see a Jessie and two Buzzes XD . With that package was the VHS home release of the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, which was viewed so many times, the tape got destroyed in the rewinder. My brothers f***ing LOVED Buzz Lighter. It was madness for about a year. I think Yu-Gi-Oh took over after that. Which also makes me quite nostalgic. So, upon watching 4Kids turtles as an adult and hearing Mortu with the Yami Yugi voice...I could make so many jokes.

And yet...Finding Nemo is my favorite Pixar movie. I watched it three times in the theater. And I plan to do it again with Finding Dory!

Prowler
05-15-2016, 11:54 PM
I would have been two years old when Toy Story came out, so of course I wouldn't have memories of it in theaters. But BOY do I have some Toy Story-based memories and nostalgia. I do remember my mom getting tickets to A Bug's Life over the phone, though. Not sure about Toy Story 2, but I recall being syched about it. And, for some reason, seeing Jessie and assuming she was Andy turned into a toy???

My grandma gave me a Jessie costume and both my brothers Buzz Lightyear shortly before we went to Disney World in October 2000. "Woody" as quite nonplussed to see a Jessie and two Buzzes XD . With that package was the VHS home release of the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, which was viewed so many times, the tape got destroyed in the rewinder.

And yet...Finding Nemo is my favorite Pixar movie. I watched it three times in the theatre. And I plan to do it again with Finding Dory!
I did not see Toy Story 1 in theatres, but 2. However, I watched Toy Story 1 on VHS a ton of times back in the 90s. I must have worn the tape out. I even knew the liens of that movie by heart. Alongside Space Jam and Mr. bean, it's the movie I've watched the most times in my life. Tiny Toons How I spent My Vacation comes close, too.

I had a Buzz and a Woody action figures. Bought around the time Toy Story 2 came out. I was disappointed by TS2 tbh.

Toy Story came out in 1995, which is now over 20 years ago. I saw that in theaters as a kid. It was one of the first (if not first?) Pixar CG animated Disney movies, and the graphics still look good to this day.

Goddamn. When you say a Pixar movie like Toy Story is 20 years old I don't know how that can NOT make people feel old. Remember the days when most Disney movies were hand drawn?
I dont' watch many movies compared to most people, so when it comes to feeling nothing succeeds more at that than video games. Hard to believe there's games from the previous generation that are either a decade old or about to be. Hell, there's older games than that that I can't believe at times that are retro now, such as SSB Melee and GTA Vice City.

ProactiveMan
05-16-2016, 02:51 AM
It's not the old stuff that makes me feel old, it's stuff I think is new that turns out to be old. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out eight years ago! What?! So did Iron Man. Unbelievable.

AT-Man
05-16-2016, 04:44 AM
Batman v Superman made me feel old. Watching the movie I thought "is this it? This is how my enthusiasm for comic book movies dies?"

I did find out later that comic book movies can still be interesting to watch.

Etsyturtle2
05-16-2016, 05:54 AM
I saw Batman 1989 in theaters when I was 4. Kids today haven't even seen the Nolan Batman movies in theaters.

Kids today consider Spiderman 2002 to be a "retro" movie.
I saw Dark Night Rises in theaters. I had Spider-Man on Dvd when it came out...

Mzx10484
05-16-2016, 06:16 AM
As a teenager I considered Terminator 2 as the coolest movie and 100% matching the spirit of that time - "You could be mine" from Guns N'Roses was part of the soundtrack... today I feel old when I see Arnold, as well as Axl Rose sitting on a "throne" on stage with a broken foot and squeaking :ohwell:

Prowler
05-16-2016, 12:46 PM
The first two American Pie movies. They're soooo dated. Maybe it's also because I'm not a kid anymore, but I can't even smile watching them nowadays. I just find them retarded.

Teenagers are scum.

IndigoErth
05-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Pretty much anything memorable from the early 2000s. It's hard to accept that those films are around 15 years old already, give or take.

Utrommaniac
05-16-2016, 12:49 PM
I noticed the first Ironman was from 2008...I was ending middle school/starting high school when that came out. This is on the tail end of "feeling old" to me.

Prowler
05-16-2016, 01:01 PM
I noticed the first Ironman was from 2008...I was ending middle school/starting high school when that came out. This is on the tail end of "feeling old" to me.
I graduated HS in 2008 :lol:

IndigoErth
05-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Quiet, I'd been out for 11 years. :P

Cubed's thread making me feel old now.

CyberCubed
05-16-2016, 01:07 PM
The first American pie movie makes me feel old. Also the last one for obvious reasons when they're all grown up.

MrPliggins
05-16-2016, 04:14 PM
I don't think you guys are old. 2000 wasn't very long ago. 20 years isn't a long time. So, you can rest easy now. ;)

Utrommaniac
05-16-2016, 05:51 PM
I was 7 years old in 2000, just barely old enough start elementary school. Anything from preschool to 8th grade makes me feel old. High school is starting to push it...maybe when I turn 25.

If it's animated in 2D preceding Home on the Range...it'll make me feel my age. Especially since I have this weird need to watch Treasure Planet and Lilo & Stitch as a double feature every time I watch one or the other.

snake
05-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Back to the Future and the original Star Wars trilogy. I get really sad whenever I think about the actors aging and eventually dying. And no BTTF4. Ever.

Spike Spiegel
05-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Back to the Future and the original Star Wars trilogy. I get really sad whenever I think about the actors aging and eventually dying. And no BTTF4. Ever.

At least there's the BTTF video game by Telltale and the IDW comics.

MrPliggins
05-16-2016, 06:32 PM
I saw Back to the Future in theaters in 1985, along with the sequels in '89. I wasn't born yet for the release of Star Wars. What makes me feel old is being a member here for 13 years!

CyberCubed
05-16-2016, 06:53 PM
I don't think you guys are old. 2000 wasn't very long ago. 20 years isn't a long time. So, you can rest easy now. ;)

2000 was 16 years ago. Even though I was born in the 80's, the year 2000 is still a long time ago for some of us. I was still a teenager.

Jephael
05-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Watching home movies of any family vacation from between 1991 and 2002 makes me feel old... not to mention a little sad when I think of the people who were once in my life but have long since passed on.