PDA

View Full Version : Neca TMNT SDCC Video Game sets

Pages : [1] 2

cevallos66
05-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted this

http://necaonline.com/56438/blog/san-diego-comic-con/sdcc-exclusive-tmnt-arcade-turtles-and-foot-clan-box-sets-video/

Autbot_Benz
05-23-2016, 11:23 AM
posted in the neca section

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54545

calmik
05-23-2016, 11:24 AM
I wonder how much they will run and how hard they will be to get... this is a freaking blast from the past.

sdp
05-23-2016, 11:36 AM
This is pretty big news to be in that convoluted NECA threa only regulars of this section visit.

Will these come out only as sdcc exclusives or will they get separate releases?

Autbot_Benz
05-23-2016, 11:38 AM
This is pretty big news to be in that convoluted NECA threa only regulars of this section visit.

Will these come out only as sdcc exclusives or will they get separate releases?

right now they are SDCC Exclusives.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
05-23-2016, 12:21 PM
i need that set

sdp
05-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Man, are we living in turtle heaven or what?

We've been getting so much awesome merchandise the past couple of years, specifically after Viacom bought the license. Was Mirage just really bad at getting deals/chosen poorly or the turtles being mostly early 90s means it is just hitting the nostalgia sweetspot now. like Transformers did ten years ago?

Lil Karai
05-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Man, are we living in turtle heaven or what?

We've been getting so much awesome merchandise the past couple of years, specifically after Viacom bought the license. Was Mirage just really bad at getting deals/chosen poorly or the turtles being mostly early 90s means it is just hitting the nostalgia sweetspot now. like Transformers did ten years ago?

Pretty sure we are in the nostalgia sweet spot, plus a resurgence of interest with the new Nick show, Bay movies, 30th anniversary etc.

HotJuicyBurgers
05-23-2016, 12:36 PM
I have no chance of owning this do I :'(

Lil Karai
05-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Details on purchasing and preordering will be released later this week.

HotJuicyBurgers
05-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Details on purchasing and preordering will be released later this week.

For people at SDCC or... ? Says SDCC exclusive but I don't believe they will be. At least entirely.

Lil Karai
05-23-2016, 12:50 PM
"Only way we are able to make TMNT in this scale is for cons only and sold in sets. License restrictions no retail"--Randy via Twitter

$100 per set according to Randy as well.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Do you guys have a guess at price range? I am 100% locked (if gettable in the UK somehow) on the 4 turtles and if they are priced fair Ill get the Shredder pack.

I know they are saying no retail, but will places like bigbadtoystore get them in?

Either that or I am going to have to buy after sale prices :(

Autbot_Benz
05-23-2016, 01:42 PM
NECA says "only way we are able to make TMNT in this scale is for cons only & sold only in sets. License restrictions no retail"

**** Playmates

Lil Karai
05-23-2016, 01:46 PM
They are $100 per set. And no retail means no online sellers like BBTS either. Licensing is what it is. Let's just be glad NECA spend 8 years trying to get these made.

imevilduckie
05-23-2016, 01:48 PM
They are $100 per set.

That's a very fair price. :)

TheBlueTurtle1
05-23-2016, 01:55 PM
The base price of $100 is fine, I guess it will come down to availability, if the only means is to get these on ebay, with import and shipping costs added, Ill have to pass:(:(:x:x:x

I guess Ill have to wait and see what happens.:-?

sdp
05-23-2016, 02:10 PM
It means they can't sell to retail but a store like BBTS can still go to the con and buy them and later sell it on their website. Sadly SDCC exclusive stuff on BBTS sells out pretty quickly.

Anyone here only interested in a single figure? If 4 people are interested it'd be $25 a turtle. i only want Donatello.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-23-2016, 02:16 PM
It means they can't sell to retail but a store like BBTS can still go to the con and buy them and later sell it on their website. Sadly SDCC exclusive stuff on BBTS sells out pretty quickly.

Anyone here only interested in a single figure? If 4 people are interested it'd be $25 a turtle. i only want Donatello.

I see where your coming from, but for me it's all or nothing:(

But I guess If I had to go for one, it would be Leo all the way, since he was the Turtle I used the most on the game:lol:

go_ninja84
05-23-2016, 02:22 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2016-NECA-TMNT-Arcade-Appearance-Turtles-Box-set-Pre-Sale-/131824800190?hash=item1eb15ed1be:g:1CwAAOSwMHdXQ0t b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2016-NECA-TMNT-Foot-Clan-Box-Set-Box-set-Pre-Sale-/131824804570?hash=item1eb15ee2da:g:qz0AAOSwQaJXQ04 k

these people are frigging ridiculous

TheBlueTurtle1
05-23-2016, 02:42 PM
Wow, I can see how this is going to go. I guess I won 't be getting these. Good job the SHF figs are coming.

go_ninja84
05-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Wow, I can see how this is going to go. I guess I won 't be getting these. Good job the SHF figs are coming.
i wouldnt worry those people are scalpers. dont pander to their crap just wait till they are around you will find them cheaper or regular price

DVD
05-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Excellent looking sets.
Best Shredder ever to be released, by the looks of the pics.

Redrumh2o
05-23-2016, 03:40 PM
I wish the box didn't have that flap...... It's cool and all but you need a lot of shelf space to display it opened.....my complaints for the day

DVD
05-23-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm liking that drop down lid a lot. These sets are going to dispkay very well indeed.

ctt4lfecw
05-23-2016, 04:26 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2016-NECA-TMNT-Arcade-Appearance-Turtles-Box-set-Pre-Sale-/131824800190?hash=item1eb15ed1be:g:1CwAAOSwMHdXQ0t b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2016-NECA-TMNT-Foot-Clan-Box-Set-Box-set-Pre-Sale-/131824804570?hash=item1eb15ee2da:g:qz0AAOSwQaJXQ04 k

I wish I could get these!

I Crave Pizza No More
05-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Sigh. As a SDCC exclusive, there's a good chance that if retail is $100, we'll have to pay $200. Most exclusives aren't that hard to come by after the show, but I have a feeling this one is going to be different, especially if the edition size is low.

Redrumh2o
05-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Those eBay auctions could very well be a decent price.

brockotter
05-23-2016, 05:21 PM
These are sooooooo awesome!

EddieNES
05-23-2016, 05:38 PM
These are sooooooo awesome!

Go get me a set Brock. I'll get ya back!
Least you're providing your stuff to everyone.

oldmanwinters
05-23-2016, 07:28 PM
What a great surprise! Too bad I'll never own these, but still! Maybe they'll be some decent Chinese bootlegs made a few years down the road.

This is pretty big news!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lukethompson/2016/05/23/arcade-game-styled-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-action-figures-are-coming-to-comic-con/#257000511342

turtlefan27
05-23-2016, 08:03 PM
UGHHHH!!!! I want both sets,too bad there only being sold at the con.

DVD
05-23-2016, 08:13 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2016-NECA-TMNT-TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-FOOT-CLAN-ARCADE-BOX-SET-/172217323448?hash=item2818f3cfb8:g:LfMAAOSwepZXQ3T U

$100 less than the first presale shown above. These will be available pre - $100 after the event.
Im sure we've all been through our first SDCC exclusive purchase. Mine was a B/W set of First Doctor / DALEK. Paid a ton of cash, and happy to do it. Its still available, years later at about 1/4 what I paid. Worth sitting on a fence for a bit. Once sold to the flippers, there will be eBay competition. Advice - Don't preorder.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-23-2016, 08:29 PM

I'd give you $25 for Raph in a heartbeat!!!

Powder
05-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Maybe they'll be some decent Chinese bootlegs made a few years down the road.

Finger crosssed. :tlol:

Coro
05-23-2016, 09:35 PM
What a great surprise! Too bad I'll never own these, but still! Maybe they'll be some decent Chinese bootlegs made a few years down the road.

This is pretty big news!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lukethompson/2016/05/23/arcade-game-styled-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-action-figures-are-coming-to-comic-con/#257000511342

What is big news? I refuse to click through on pages that require me to disable ad block.

Also- As someone who grew up in arcades I can say I dont think I like these...if it wasnt for the pixel block shading they would be sweet. Just give us the figs not the silly shading.

sdp
05-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Do all NECA figures get bootlegs?

The vg pixel style doesn't worry as well with 16bit as it does with 8 bit but it's fine and different. Normal paint jobs are not needed for me since we have the superior SHFiguarts coming out but I would like the best shredder figure to date not to be pixelated ....

tw2thr3
05-23-2016, 10:05 PM
I just pre-ordered both sets for a good price shipped. I'm pretty pumped hopefully the guy comes through. I don't mind the pixels as much, I'm sure someone will paint a set. I really caved just for Shredder and the turtles look awesome. Call it impulse, my excuse is I didn't buy the 1/4 Neca movie line. Who knows maybe we get mirage shredder, one can wish. Between these and the Figuarts its been an expensive day to say the least

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-23-2016, 10:19 PM
What is big news? I refuse to click through on pages that require me to disable ad block.

Also- As someone who grew up in arcades I can say I dont think I like these...if it wasnt for the pixel block shading they would be sweet. Just give us the figs not the silly shading.

The shading is personally the charm of them for me. I played the ever loving crap out of this game back in the day and actually almost bought an arcade cabinet of it a couple of years ago and got sick with some gallbladder problems that put me out of work for a while and kept me from being able to get the machine. It is still one of my dreams to own it. I definitely could see how these wouldn't be for everybody though.

Coro
05-23-2016, 10:23 PM
The shading is personally the charm of them for me. I played the ever loving crap out of this game back in the day and actually almost bought an arcade cabinet of it a couple of years ago and got sick with some gallbladder problems that put me out of work for a while and kept me from being able to get the machine. It is still one of my dreams to own it. I definitely could see how these wouldn't be for everybody though.

I am determined to have a 4 player TMNT cabinet at some point as well. That and the 6 player X-men were huge in arcades.

Filespit
05-24-2016, 12:44 AM
Dammit, I want these but there's no chance of me getting them, unless there's a friendly soul here on the forums who'd like to help. I'll probably have to battle for it at eBay after the event.

ProactiveMan
05-24-2016, 01:45 AM
... living in a scalper's paradise.

I cannot see a way that I would be able to buy these for what NECA are selling them for. Pretty cool otherwise.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Dammit, I want these but there's no chance of me getting them, unless there's a friendly soul here on the forums who'd like to help. I'll probably have to battle for it at eBay after the event.

Same, I just don't understand some peoples greed.:cry:

imevilduckie
05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Same, I just don't understand some peoples greed.:cry:
Capitalism?

Toitlefan
05-24-2016, 09:20 AM
I've always like the 8/16 bit inspired action figures so these are pretty awesome. The preorders seem to be selling quick and the prices keep going up. Anyone know when they release? Is it the day of the convention?

Lordmylar06
05-24-2016, 09:59 AM
There are already $400 preorders for both sets on ebay. Scalpers gonna scalp.

oldmanwinters
05-24-2016, 11:07 AM
... living in a scalper's paradise.

Man, this needs to be a song.

go_ninja84
05-24-2016, 11:14 AM
being a kid who often played this arcade game back in the day i badly want these. i remember Playmates had the exclusive Space Leonardo at SDCC but later found him on online retail. if that does not happen here, im either gonna have to forget about them or pay 400+.

psychturtle
05-24-2016, 11:31 AM
I think these look absolutely fantastic. Sculpts, paint apps, articulation....all amazing. I sure hope we get these in single packs.

Autbot_Benz
05-24-2016, 12:13 PM
I think these look absolutely fantastic. Sculpts, paint apps, articulation....all amazing. I sure hope we get these in single packs.

"Only way we are able to make TMNT in this scale is for cons only and sold in sets. License restrictions no retail"--Randy via Twitter

so in short you won't see any of those in single packs at retail

ScratchTheHotSpot
05-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Just pulled the trigger on these earlier today. Got both sets for $390 on eBay. With shipping and import tax to the UK, ends up being £375. Just over a weeks wages for me, which is the way I like to think about it.

For 8 figures, which (to me) look super badass, I don't think is too bad at £47 each. I paid £50 for each of the Revoltechs, and the Figuarts will probably end up being more than that due to them being around $64 a figure.

All in all, paying double what the SDCC attendees will pay doesn't seem that bad to me. If NECA are correct (and why would I doubt them), there's basically a zero chance to bag these at a reasonable price if you're not going to comic con. Getting them from scalpers is just the reality of the situation.

As a few of these have already been sold on eBay for double the price NECA will be charging, I think it will be difficult to find prices lower than that in the future. The price will only go up from now on IMO.

With these being TRUE SDCC Exclusives which won't be found anywhere else, it feels like quite a unique item. Not going to be like the usual items that get labelled as "exclusives". Just based on that fact alone, I feel that these will become highly collectable in the future. If anyone is still on the fence about these, I think you're better off getting them sooner rather than later. Just my 2 cents.

Candy Kappa
05-24-2016, 02:24 PM
I doubt they will be "2016 SDCC Exclusives", as much as whenever NECA is at a con they gonna sell some "exclusive" Turtles.

go_ninja84
05-24-2016, 02:45 PM
while i do want these bad. i have the exclusive Mondo figures and the Figuarts figures and the NECA Donatello coming so im gonna wait to see if these become either available online or wait to see if the price goes down once they are out

Candy Kappa
05-24-2016, 03:12 PM
i wonder how easy the paint would rub off, and the just do done simple touch-ups. They seem to be mostly molded colored plastic with pixel print on.

LincolnHawk
05-24-2016, 04:50 PM

people are going to be disappointed, it's only 2 sets per person

Lil Karai
05-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Found a friend of a friend that is going to SDCC. Paypaled them for tomorrow's preorder and they will pick me up for me.

Luckily this was pretty simple for me and for that I am thankful. No complaints.

However I was prepared to purchase them on the secondary market if this connection didn't pan out.
Con price works out to be $25 per figure. They will probably go for double on eBay after the con and once competition sets in which is $50 a figure. Still cheaper than Figuarts.

Since the con is going to be the only venue for NECA TMNT moving forward, well I'll be attending the con next year. It's a bucket list thing for my anyway and getting to meet Randy and see one of the best booths at SDCC is just a bonus.

And no, I am not made of money (read, no Prime 1 or Sideshow products in my house).

gunstarheroblue
05-24-2016, 05:36 PM
they arnt too bad, the styling isnt for me though.

it looks like the alternative is,
get good at customizing figures, and / or have an advanced 3d printer or you are out of luck for 7" TMNT figs it seems.
would have been a great opportunity to bring a line based on the IDW series and now that the game has dropped- they already have the 3d character models from that to help make figures, easier said than done...oh well.

Splinter
05-24-2016, 05:54 PM
I doubt they will be "2016 SDCC Exclusives", as much as whenever NECA is at a con they gonna sell some "exclusive" Turtles.
They already said these won't appear at future cons that they're attending. So... yeah. No.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-24-2016, 09:07 PM
I am determined to have a 4 player TMNT cabinet at some point as well. That and the 6 player X-men were huge in arcades.

Yeah and really so was Mortal Kombat but I'd take a TMNT cabinet over that any day because I'm more of a die hard Street Fighter fan anyway.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-25-2016, 01:00 AM
What do you guys think is a fair price to pay for these on ebay?

Candy Kappa
05-25-2016, 02:02 AM

Probably the current asking price $200-250. It's not like there's a whole lot of options.

ProactiveMan
05-25-2016, 02:24 AM
I can only get so worked up about plastic bric-a-brac, but I feel a bit deflated. :cry: I guess we don't always get what we want.

Sabacooza
05-25-2016, 03:02 AM
Probably the current asking price $200-250. It's not like there's a whole lot of options.It's a scalper's paradise when it comes to these figures.

go_ninja84
05-25-2016, 03:47 AM
question, does anyone think i would be foolish if i offered my Mondo exclusive set in exchange for a set of these?

Mew
05-25-2016, 04:10 AM
question, does anyone think i would be foolish if i offered my Mondo exclusive set in exchange for a set of these?
I'd think the Mondos are better figures, quality, and looks included.

Powder
05-25-2016, 04:21 AM

Yes. Insanely. No way will you have to pay for these what you did that set of 4. + the aftermarket for their goods is crazy expensive. While the pixel turtles will surely fetch a high price assuming they do in fact have a limited production run with SDCC exclusivity, it may not reach the same heights.

Neither of these sets are freaking out yet. It'll be a while before any of us can rightfully have an actual opinion of any value regarding how the two compare in-hand.

I Crave Pizza No More
05-25-2016, 04:31 AM

Hard to say. I went to SDCC three straight years (not going this year), and my sense was that very few exclusives were actually rare or hard to find later. In fact, many because available later for less than retail.

Without knowing more about the edition size of these pieces it's just speculation, but my hunch tells me that these sets will be a little tougher to track down. I guess they're worth whatever you're willing to spend. There's something to be said for having a secured preorder, not having to wait in line or go to the event in person, etc.

Splinter
05-25-2016, 04:32 AM
It's a scalper's paradise when it comes to these figures.
Not really. When you factor in the costs of attending SDCC and the limit of 2 of each per person.

go_ninja84
05-25-2016, 05:56 AM

Yes. Insanely. No way will you have to pay for these what you did that set of 4. + the aftermarket for their goods is crazy expensive. While the pixel turtles will surely fetch a high price assuming they do in fact have a limited production run with SDCC exclusivity, it may not reach the same heights.

ya you guys are probably right i paid 600+ for them and these dont even come close to that. i wasn't thinking right just really like these cause i played the heck out of that game as a kid

TheBlueTurtle1
05-25-2016, 07:56 AM
Not really. When you factor in the costs of attending SDCC and the limit of 2 of each per person.

Not really, unless the sole purpose of going to SDCC was to get these figures. Why can't people put them on for $100- $120? at most. I am not going to line some GREEDY f*~**ers pocket.

statik
05-25-2016, 08:01 AM
You all need to stop talking about price and giving into flippers. They read this **** you know. All your hype is just feeding their pockets.

Lil Karai
05-25-2016, 08:45 AM
FAQ about obtaining these is up
https://thenecastore.com/pages/sdcc-2016-exclusives-faq

TonySiegel
05-25-2016, 08:59 AM
How about NY comic con?

imevilduckie
05-25-2016, 09:12 AM
How about NY comic con?
Randy mentioned on Twitter that these particular items will be SDCC only.

ScratchTheHotSpot
05-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Not really, unless the sole purpose of going to SDCC was to get these figures. Why can't people put them on for $100- $120? at most. I am not going to line some GREEDY f*~**ers pocket.

You can't expect to get them for (basically) free... Which is what you're asking for. Yes, you're paying for the figures but think of what else it takes to get those figures from San Diego and into your hands. Your paying for a service which not many people can provide you, and it obviously comes at a premium price. Page 1 of the economics handbook : supply and demand.

If they make a profit off you? So what? They are just taking an opportunity that's been presented to them. Everytime you buy something, whatever that may be, you're "lining someone's pockets".

Digital Ghost
05-25-2016, 10:14 AM
So... They're now on NECA CLUB for preorder. Who is attending and wouldn't mind selling me their extra sets? j/k :trazz:

HotJuicyBurgers
05-25-2016, 10:20 AM
3000 sets which is pretty high. Wonder if some of these will go unsold. And what they would do with them if they did...

Candy Kappa
05-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Asked about DVD set loophole, no dice. That's a bummer, but at least they are getting released one way or the other.

3000 sets which is pretty high. Wonder if some of these will go unsold. And what they would do with them if they did...

The license contract seems to be so strict, it's not unthinkable that any left overs might have to be over to next SDCC since they can't be sold on other cons or through retail.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-25-2016, 10:37 AM
You can't expect to get them for (basically) free... Which is what you're asking for. Yes, you're paying for the figures but think of what else it takes to get those figures from San Diego and into your hands. Your paying for a service which not many people can provide you, and it obviously comes at a premium price. Page 1 of the economics handbook : supply and demand.

If they make a profit off you? So what? They are just taking an opportunity that's been presented to them. Everytime you buy something, whatever that may be, you're "lining someone's pockets".

I implied no such thing. I said I would be willing to pay $100-120 for these which is MORE than they are selling them at CC. I would accept the fact you would need to pay a little more to cover there listing fees, etc, and would be happy to do that.

It requires little effort if you are going to SDCC and think to yourself, "Ill buy a couple of NECAs while I am there".

Asking $200- $300 is day light robbery, and if you're foolish enough to spend that on these figures you don't deserve the money in the first place.

There's a reason they say a fool and his/her money are soon parted.

Candy Kappa
05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
I implied no such thing. I said I would be willing to pay $100-120 for these which is MORE than they are selling them at CC. I would accept the fact you would need to pay a little more to cover there listing fees, etc, and would be happy to do that.

They retail for $100 at SDCC, so yeah you kinda implied such a thing. Scalper or not, a re-seller wants profit for their effort. Measly $20, better to keep them.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-25-2016, 10:57 AM
They retail for $100 at SDCC, so yeah you kinda implied such a thing. Scalper or not, a re-seller wants profit for their effort. Measly $20, better to keep them.

I see what your saying, but from the buyers point of view, you have to ask yourself are they worth $200-$300 for each set?

I am willing to pay a little over the odds, but not much, and it's even worse for me since I would have to pay higher shipping and import, on top of inflated prices:(

Discogod
05-25-2016, 11:28 AM
It requires little effort if you are going to SDCC and think to yourself, "Ill buy a couple of NECAs while I am there".

It's more than a "little effort". If you've not preordered, then you'll have to stand in a queue for several hours, with no guarantee that you'll actually get the item you want.

FWIW, I've bought a few SDCC exclusives in the $100 range over the last few years (granted, none of those were as hot as the TMNT sets look like being). Once you've factored in the exchange rate, shipping and import duty fees, you're going to be paying a minimum of £150 - and that's if you can get them at cost price.

Candy Kappa
05-25-2016, 11:36 AM
I am willing to pay a little over the odds, but not much, and it's even worse for me since I would have to pay higher shipping and import, on top of inflated prices:(

Sure, I can see that as I live in Norway which is one of the most expensive countries coming to shipping and importing, and we just had a new custom reform making it even more expensive.

But, that's not the sellers concern though. They don't see any of that cash, and they can only get 2 of each set. :ohwell:

Some on eBay sells the Turtle pack for $185, which ain't bad all things considered.

Meow
05-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Awww c'mon. 100 per pack at SDCC and 180+ each already on ebay preorder? Something is definately way over the limit, seriously, leaving aside the factor of non-US citizens. Brutal, that's how I see it and definately not cool a single bit.

You can do better than this NECA, absolutely you can!

TheBlueTurtle1
05-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Sure, I can see that as I live in Norway which is one of the most expensive countries coming to shipping and importing, and we just had a new custom reform making it even more expensive.

But, that's not the sellers concern though. They don't see any of that cash, and they can only get 2 of each set. :ohwell:

Some on eBay sells the Turtle pack for $185, which ain't bad all things considered.

I feel your pain, I bet they will be a lot cheaper after CC. If you choose to get them, I wish you the all the best.

Awww c'mon. 100 per pack at SDCC and 180+ each already on ebay preorder? Something is definately way over the limit, seriously, leaving aside the factor of non-US citizens. Brutal, that's how I see it and definately not cool a single bit.

You can do better than this NECA, absolutely you can!

I feel your pain man, I really do:(

ScratchTheHotSpot
05-25-2016, 01:19 PM
I see what your saying, but from the buyers point of view, you have to ask yourself are they worth $200-$300 for each set?

Yep, it sucks to be a TMNT fan living in the UK, and having to import everything cool that is made for the USA, but that's life for us unfortunately...

To me, the extra $95 I paid for each set is going towards the eBay listing fee, a portion of the guy's travel expenses to get to San Diego from the East Coast and back again, the time he will spend wrapping these up to keep them in top condition for their trip and then taking them to the post office.

I also accept that these are rare figures, which will be highly sought after. When demand exceeds the supply, the price goes up. That's just the way the world works. These will certainly hold their value, so I don't feel like I'll be paying over the odds in the long run, and all things considered. But that's just me.

If you really want these, and it sounds like you do, and you can afford them... Then just go for it. At the moment it sounds like you're holding back just out of principle. You don't like the idea that someone has made a profit from you on an already expensive purchase.

I kinda felt the same way as you when I saw they were double the price, but I also thought, what if these end up becoming triple the price, or even more? I would think, "damn.. I wish I picked them up when they were only double the price"... You know what I'm saying? Don't mean to get on at you, but it's just frustrating to hear you complain about the price that these are selling for.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Yep, it sucks to be a TMNT fan living in the UK, and having to import everything cool that is made for the USA, but that's life for us unfortunately...

To me, the extra $95 I paid for each set is going towards the eBay listing fee, a portion of the guy's travel expenses to get to San Diego from the East Coast and back again, the time he will spend wrapping these up to keep them in top condition for their trip and then taking them to the post office.

I also accept that these are rare figures, which will be highly sought after. When demand exceeds the supply, the price goes up. That's just the way the world works. These will certainly hold their value, so I don't feel like I'll be paying over the odds in the long run, and all things considered. But that's just me.

If you really want these, and it sounds like you do, and you can afford them... Then just go for it. At the moment it sounds like you're holding back just out of principle. You don't like the idea that someone has made a profit from you on an already expensive purchase.

I kinda felt the same way as you when I saw they were double the price, but I also thought, what if these end up becoming triple the price, or even more? I would think, "damn.. I wish I picked them up when they were only double the price"... You know what I'm saying? Don't mean to get on at you, but it's just frustrating to hear you complain about the price that these are selling for.

I don't mean to moan, like you said just frustrated with it. I may wait and see what happens once CC is over, but will keep an eye on things in the meantime. Chances are Ill go for them sooner.

Meow
05-25-2016, 01:44 PM
just frustrated with it
Simply that, really. For at least a year it seems all new TMNT additions are concentrated to the US market and that area only with a frankly "What? There is more than the US? Uh.. yeah whatever" thumbs up sign. Me no like, especially since I had to bow down to high purchasing costs, high shipping fees plus the oh so wonderful import rates. Yes, there is more than the US on this planet and really - people are (still) so what kind of ecstatic about TMNT all over the globe. Believe it or not dear manufacturers :/

inaheap
05-25-2016, 02:03 PM

Can someone tell me why NECA has this issue but others don't? I'm not criticizing. I just don't get it. We have seen a lot of TMNT Stuff offered lately. It seems like other companies have found a way.

Candy Kappa
05-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Can someone tell me why NECA has this issue but others don't? I'm not criticizing. I just don't get it. We have seen a lot of TMNT Stuff offered lately. It seems like other companies have found a way.

The Revoltech figures and SH Figuarts are in a different price point and are imports. NECA being American based, have their stuff at regular stores like TRU and their figures costs under $60. Playmates are threaten by their superiority of making quality figures.

imevilduckie
05-25-2016, 02:17 PM
The Revoltech figures and SH Figuarts are in a different price point and are imports. NECA being American based, have their stuff at regular stores like TRU and their figures costs under $60. Playmates are threaten by their superiority of making quality figures.
I seriously doubt that Playmates is "threatened by NECA's superiority". They're simply avoiding brand confusion and giving the customer other choices through traditional means. It's old-school retail, folks. Playmates has never catered to the serious collector's market and likely never will. They're doing what they feel is necessary to protect their brand and its profits. If kids see other, more expensive figures that they want more than the Playmates toys, they will either have their parents buy them or leave empty-handed. Neither of these scenarios are positive for Playmates.

psychturtle
05-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Between eBay fees, PayPal fees, and shipping costs, you are looking at $30-40 just for selling these for $100. So if you sold these on eBay for $100 with free shipping, you'd only get like $70. You not only lose money on them but you also lose the time you spent waiting to get them and ultimately lose money. Then you factor in a limited quantity.

These definitely will sell out. I check out other collector forums and these are HOT. People are buying these and they will be sold out. If you look at how much the original 2008 SDCC neca 4-pack goes for on eBay, you are also investing in figures that could later fetch $700 much like the original comic NECAs.

In sum, I think the "scalping" prices are fair. From waiting to get them, carry them, transport ship them, etc. I'll pay someone extra to secure some of the most unique and quality turtles figs out there. People can complain. To that I say, do what a lot of us do, sell off stuff you don't want anymore and pick these up. No one will just give these to you. Opportunity is temporary. Just remember how much prices inflated on previous neca Turtles.

go_ninja84
05-25-2016, 02:21 PM
I seriously doubt that Playmates is "threatened by NECA's superiority". They're simply avoiding brand confusion and giving the customer other choices through traditional means. It's old-school retail, folks. Playmates has never catered to the serious collector's market and likely never will. They're doing what they feel is necessary to protect their brand and its profits. If kids see other, more expensive figures that they want more than the Playmates toys, they will either have their parents buy them or leave empty-handed. Neither of these scenarios are positive for Playmates.

then why make their license so strict they can only sell at the SDCC. i dont even understand how a toy company can have such a stronghold on something they didnt even create. and Nickelodeon is letting it happen

zodach
05-25-2016, 02:23 PM
If NECA had to make these convention only, I don't understand why they didn't just crank out 4-5k units instead of only 3k each. Certainly they could sell all those in 4 days of SDCC and therefore make more available on the secondary market at lower prices.

d_osborn
05-25-2016, 02:31 PM
I really dig the idea behind the NECA 8bit video game line, but the execution just leaves me a little cold. I really don't think the concept lends itself to a simple repaint of existing sculpts. These things call for a complete ground-up resculpt based on the original sprites, which doesn't sound feasible for NECA. The curvy sculpts really clash with the pixel repaints, IMO.

Cool idea, but not for me. The classic Super Mario Amiibo nailed it:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71wTED%2B8DzL._SY606_.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hsbvJVu.jpg

plastroncafe
05-25-2016, 02:34 PM
Okay....that's a very cool idea.
And I kind of need those in my collection.

inaheap
05-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Thanks. I forgot they are an American company.

psychturtle
05-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Oh I'd love those original nes turtles. I need those on a T-shirt.

Redrumh2o
05-25-2016, 06:29 PM
I really dig the idea behind the NECA 8bit video game line, but the execution just leaves me a little cold. I really don't think the concept lends itself to a simple repaint of existing sculpts. These things call for a complete ground-up resculpt based on the original sprites, which doesn't sound feasible for NECA. The curvy sculpts really clash with the pixel repaints, IMO.

I agree with this fully.....after my initial excitement....I will be passing on these and saving my money on something else. After looking at them for a few days I agree that there is just something about them that I am not a fan of. I think it is the curvy sculpts with painted pixels. I would buy a pixelated figure in a second! GL to all those who are going for them. I agree that you should probably wait a while to get them....like 6 months or so. Many exclusives drop a lot after the hype goes away

Lil Karai
05-25-2016, 06:49 PM

The turtles are completely new sculpts, not repaints.

d_osborn
05-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Well then they completely dropped the ball.

Unless these are just repaints for a future large-scale release, I guess. Maybe the repaint was just released early for SDCC. If these sculpts were done strictly for the video game versions, that's a huge missed opportunity.

Zage
05-25-2016, 11:32 PM
I hope that they release the other colors of the Foot Soldiers, later on. :D

Lil Karai
05-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Well then they completely dropped the ball.

Unless these are just repaints for a future large-scale release, I guess. Maybe the repaint was just released early for SDCC. If these sculpts were done strictly for the video game versions, that's a huge missed opportunity.

many many many fans disagree with you. If you don't like the sculpts, that's cool, but saying they dropped the ball is simply not true. These things are selling fast. NECA is setting aside a stash (not available for online preorder) to bring the con first come first serve for cash customers. So they might very well sell out online soon, and then have some available only at the show.

The sculpt style and paint style fits exactly in with the rest of their Video Game Appearance line. Doing things like Jakks Pacific or whatever other blocky pixelated style someone else was referring to, hasn't been their style at all up to this point.

Also once again to repeat, it is not NECA's choice or preference to only distribute these at SDCC. License is very strict and only allows for this option. With the crazy amount of press this all has generated, hopefully licensors will take notice. In the very least, it's been free advertising for the brand.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-26-2016, 08:42 AM

...and they are absolutely gorgeous!

Discogod
05-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but it's been confirmed that these are limited to 3000 per set.

At $600,000 if they sell out (which is a cert), that's more than enough to cover the cost of development, tooling (basically 2 bodies, then heads & weapons) and production. Sure, NECA could potentially reuse the molds for further figures, but it's not like they're taking a massive financial hit if this is in fact the only time these figures will be issued.

Candy Kappa
05-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Considering 1:10th scale NECA figures are close to Playmates Classics figures in price range, and Playmates denied NECA to sell their Turtles in retail stores back in 2008 and now a complete embargo leaving NECA to only sell figures at SDCC.

It's safe to say they are feeling threaten by NECA considering Playmates half-assed Classics figures would have been severely outclassed by NECA's standards.

imevilduckie
05-26-2016, 09:49 AM
then why make their license so strict they can only sell at the SDCC. i dont even understand how a toy company can have such a stronghold on something they didnt even create. and Nickelodeon is letting it happen
I explained why in the post that you quoted. It has nothing to do with superiority and everything to do with protecting their profits and marketing position.

With respect to Nick "letting it happen", Playmates has been the master licensor since 1987. Nickelodeon likely inherited the pre-existing contract terms between Mirage and Playmates. There's not a lot that Nick can do. If there were, I'm sure they would want these products to have wider availability because that would result in larger royalty payments for Nick.

lilmotto
05-26-2016, 09:50 AM

Asking $200- $300 is day light robbery, and if you're foolish enough to spend that on these figures you don't deserve the money in the first place.

There's a reason they say a fool and his/her money are soon parted.

With $200 price that would be $26 in ebay + paypal fees = $174 - shipping cost likely $14 would be safe $160. So someone screwing you over only get $60 out of that extra $100. Not saying $60 profit isn't a lot, but it isn't as insane as people make it out to be. $60 to take the time in an insane venue to stand in line and get the item (likely will miss out on other con activities to do this) and to take the time to ship it isn't really super unreasonable.

That being said as someone not going to the con it is hard for me to justify paying $200 for a $100 figure set.
Hopefully some fellow members get some and sell them to us for a more reasonable price than ebay since those costs are taken out of the equation.

imevilduckie
05-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Considering 1:10th scale NECA figures are close to Playmates Classics figures in price range, and Playmates denied NECA to sell their Turtles in retail stores back in 2008 and now a complete embargo leaving NECA to only sell figures at SDCC.

It's safe to say they are feeling threaten by NECA considering Playmates half-assed Classics figures would have been severely outclassed by NECA's standards.
It's not the standards or the quality of the figures that Playmates is worried about. It's simply about having competing products of the same license available in the same retail locations. If some other company got the TMNT license and produced lower quality figures than Playmates, the terms and restrictions would still be the same.

To put it a different way, it's the same reason that most restaurants have either Coke products or Pepsi products available, but not both brands. Exclusivity agreements help to protect the vendor's market position.

Discogod
05-26-2016, 10:43 AM
I dunno, there's 2 companies making both Marvel (Hasbro & Diamond) & DC* (Mattel & DC themselves) action figures. Sure, one line's sold at retail and the other's more speciality, but at my LCS they share peg space in their respective sections. There's also Jakks making large-scale figures, and 12" companies making high-end versions, and that's without getting into import figs. There's enough room for everyone.

OK, you could say TMNT's not quite as popular/iconic as the likes of Spidey & Batman, but I think there's room for both mass-market toys, whether aimed at kids or collectors, and higher-end, more niche products like NECA put out. It's just sheer greed by Playmates - they have no intention of producing well-made, decent quality toys representing the comics, movies or games. Even if NECA was limited to selling their versions through comic shops, or online, it'd be better than nothing.

*not to mention the figures by NECA & Diamond based on the live-action movies/TV shows.

d_osborn
05-26-2016, 12:13 PM
many many many fans disagree with you. If you don't like the sculpts, that's cool, but saying they dropped the ball is simply not true. These things are selling fast. NECA is setting aside a stash (not available for online preorder) to bring the con first come first serve for cash customers. So they might very well sell out online soon, and then have some available only at the show.

Dropping the ball may have been harsh. Huge missed opportunity is more like it. The sculpts are cool, just not in a pixelated, video game sprite kind of way. I believe previous releases in their 8bit video game series were repaints. I have one... Batman 1989, I think. It's cool, but not at all representative of the original sprite. It was an impulse buy due to the insanely cool packaging.

I'm sure the fans that buy these will enjoy them, but they aren't for me. Cool idea, subpar execution-- especially for what they'll be selling for from flippers.

I wouldn't at all be shocked if these sculpts get a wider release with a more standard paint job. ...and I have no doubt these will sell out. It's a very limited run with a huge fan base and eBay flippers foaming at the mouth. No shock there.

olmstead33
05-26-2016, 12:40 PM
With $200 price that would be $26 in ebay + paypal fees = $174 - shipping cost likely $14 would be safe $160. So someone screwing you over only get $60 out of that extra $100. Not saying $60 profit isn't a lot, but it isn't as insane as people make it out to be. $60 to take the time in an insane venue to stand in line and get the item (likely will miss out on other con activities to do this) and to take the time to ship it isn't really super unreasonable.

That being said as someone not going to the con it is hard for me to justify paying $200 for a $100 figure set.
Hopefully some fellow members get some and sell them to us for a more reasonable price than ebay since those costs are taken out of the equation.

Also another figure to figure in is the price of entrance to SDCC. It is $175 to attend.

Candy Kappa
05-26-2016, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't at all be shocked if these sculpts get a wider release with a more standard paint job.

Probably SDCC 2017, unless Playmates gets their stick up their ass removed. :ohwell:

bretttheleofan
05-26-2016, 12:45 PM
I was able to secure both sets for 300 shipped. I'm good with that deal and they will look awesome displayed with my arcade cabinet.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Would it be better to get a set once people actually get them in hand?. What happens if they can't get to the conn or something.

Lil Karai
05-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Would it be better to get a set once people actually get them in hand?. What happens if they can't get to the conn or something.

That'd be my recommendation. Also give a chance for many people to get these in hand, and let the competition drive down the prices on eBay.

Right now everyone is panicking, and paying more than they would once competition of in-hand sets sets in.

That's just my advice.

Meow
05-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Also give a chance
Sensing you seem to be one of NECAs spokes people around here I'd like to give you the chance to hear you out on the international situation because - as already mentioned - we non US people feel more than left over, in fact more like left off which feels worse than feeding the already barking dog under the table. I (as in "we the non US people") would appreciate to read from you in this matter in detail :)

Coro
05-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but it's been confirmed that these are limited to 3000 per set.

At $600,000 if they sell out (which is a cert), that's more than enough to cover the cost of development, tooling (basically 2 bodies, then heads & weapons) and production. Sure, NECA could potentially reuse the molds for further figures, but it's not like they're taking a massive financial hit if this is in fact the only time these figures will be issued.

You are forgetting at least 30% of that money goes to the license holder

ScratchTheHotSpot
05-26-2016, 02:09 PM
For some reason... not sure why... The eBay listings for these sets have been disappearing rapidly in the past few hours.

Not just "this item has ended early", or whatever.. but completely removed as if they never existed... :ohwell:

Could be because eBay doesn't allow sales of items which aren't guaranteed to be shipped within 30 days of the sale, but who knows? Thought it was interesting.

bretttheleofan
05-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Definitely what is,the seller that I bought it from gave m the offer at 300 and then it disappeared. I wrote him and he said eBay was taking them down. He relisted it so I could get them with my offer.For some reason... not sure why... The eBay listings for these sets have been disappearing rapidly in the past few hours.

Not just "this item has ended early", or whatever.. but completely removed as if they never existed... :ohwell:

Could be because eBay doesn't allow sales of items which aren't guaranteed to be shipped within 30 days of the sale, but who knows? Thought it was interesting.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-26-2016, 02:43 PM
That'd be my recommendation. Also give a chance for many people to get these in hand, and let the competition drive down the prices on eBay.

Right now everyone is panicking, and paying more than they would once competition of in-hand sets sets in.

That's just my advice.

Also you are not covered after a certain amount of time, so if they don't send them you can't do anything.

bretttheleofan
05-26-2016, 02:52 PM
It's a lot longer now something like 90 days

ScratchTheHotSpot
05-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Also you are not covered after a certain amount of time, so if they don't send them you can't do anything.

You're covered for 30 days after the latest delivery date. So as long as the date is listed in the pre-sale, (even if it breaks their pre-sale policy) I think you should be fine.

go_ninja84
05-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Definitely what is,the seller that I bought it from gave m the offer at 300 and then it disappeared. I wrote him and he said eBay was taking them down. He relisted it so I could get them with my offer.
i snagged a pre-order for the turtles only but i have worked out with the seller to put a deposit on them and pay the rest closer to the ship date

imevilduckie
05-26-2016, 04:41 PM
I dunno, there's 2 companies making both Marvel (Hasbro & Diamond) & DC* (Mattel & DC themselves) action figures. Sure, one line's sold at retail and the other's more speciality, but at my LCS they share peg space in their respective sections. There's also Jakks making large-scale figures, and 12" companies making high-end versions, and that's without getting into import figs. There's enough room for everyone.

OK, you could say TMNT's not quite as popular/iconic as the likes of Spidey & Batman, but I think there's room for both mass-market toys, whether aimed at kids or collectors, and higher-end, more niche products like NECA put out. It's just sheer greed by Playmates - they have no intention of producing well-made, decent quality toys representing the comics, movies or games. Even if NECA was limited to selling their versions through comic shops, or online, it'd be better than nothing.

*not to mention the figures by NECA & Diamond based on the live-action movies/TV shows.
Comic shops are not the same as mass-market retail. The numbers alone are night and day. How many Playmates products do you see at your LCS? There certainly is enough room for many types of products to address many different markets, but Playmates is under no obligation to help competitors.

You say that Playmates has "no intention" to produce higher-quality figures, and you are absolutely right. They're not in business to make products that appeal to the collector's markets. They market to the masses, and their job (as is the job of any publicly-traded company) is to make as much money as possible while keeping production costs as low as possible. They're not doing this to spite collectors. They appeal to the market that's going to make the most money for them and their shareholders.

lilmotto
05-26-2016, 04:47 PM
Edit: Claimed

zodach
05-26-2016, 05:10 PM
For some reason... not sure why... The eBay listings for these sets have been disappearing rapidly in the past few hours.

eBay has been pretty stringent about removing SDCC exclusive listings that are this far out from the convention dates. Their preorder policy is that it must ship within 30 days so anything more than that is a violation of their rules and they've been known to automatically cancel these types of listings.

ProactiveMan
05-26-2016, 11:14 PM
It's kind'a dodgy that people list this stuff before they can guarantee that they will even have it to sell.

The two per customer limit is pretty hard-core; I salute them. It's infuriating to miss out on something only to see people boasting about buying ten extras the next day. I'm looking at you He-Man.org.

go_ninja84
05-27-2016, 01:54 AM
spoiler alert imevilduckie is a shareholder in Playmates :lol::lol:

Playmates is a company that is slowly becoming the enemy, and there are alot of people that agree with me. numerous times they have said stuff and done the opposite and numerous times let fans down.

i understand you have to make money but the way i see it a company has to have some heart in the products they are producing. the fact they have let us down and cockblocking other companies from the market just proves more and more they just care about the almighty $$ and the hell with everything else IMO

according to what i have seen coming down the pike in the next few months and with them being stingy with retail i have lost what little respect i had left for Playmates. nothing looks appealing that they displayed at the toy fair, just garbage. where is Karai? where is Muckman? where are the Classics Shredder and Krang? where is Pigeon Pete? if you dont want to make collectors level figures ok but why do you have to block other companies who can make far superior figures? is it really gonna hurt your profit? kids will still buy them. TRU has a new section called "collector vector" and every time i go there thats the first place i check. why cant Playmates allow collector figures to be stocked there instead of the TMNT aisle.

ill admit i have a fair share of Playmates stuff including the newly released SOTO figures but that was the last i bought from them, everything just looks like garbage after them and i probably wont buy from them anymore. even the Mega Bloks look better then Playmates attempts. my rant is over

lilmotto
05-27-2016, 05:51 AM
It's kind'a dodgy that people list this stuff before they can guarantee that they will even have it to sell.

The two per customer limit is pretty hard-core; I salute them. It's infuriating to miss out on something only to see people boasting about buying ten extras the next day. I'm looking at you He-Man.org.

Since you can preorder these it is pretty safe for people to say they are getting them if they did indeed preorder them.

Candy Kappa
05-27-2016, 06:16 AM
Since you can preorder these it is pretty safe for people to say they are getting them if they did indeed preorder them.

Preorders are for US residents only, so people outside of USA that are attending SDCC can't preorder. And you have to select a pick-up time & date, if you're late due to crowds or long queues, you might lose out on your preorder.

lilmotto
05-27-2016, 06:18 AM
Preorders are for US residents only, so people outside of USA that are attending SDCC can't preorder. And you have to select a pick-up time & date, if you're late due to crowds or long queues, you might lose out on your preorder.

They are rough times though. I assume it isn't going to be that big of a deal. NECA would already have your money so holding it a bit longer would likely not be a big issue. Also couldn't international people just use a domestic persons address or does it have to match CC information?

ProactiveMan
05-27-2016, 08:51 AM
You'd probably have to use a US credit card.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-27-2016, 08:58 AM
I don't feel comfortable ordering a set now. I am going to wait to people Actually have them, and yes Ill have to pay more than I think I should, but I want them.:lol:

AquaParade
05-27-2016, 09:21 AM
So I'm sure I'm not the first or last to ask, but is there anyone here who would be willing to pick up an extra set to sell to me for a reasonable price?

Please pm me if you are already planning on going and could pick one up for me. I live in Northern California and would totally appreciate it. Hope to hear from someone, thanks.

psychturtle
05-27-2016, 11:18 AM
There's a guy on eBay that has fulfilled SDCC preorders for last 6 years. I'm assuming he's a safe bet since he already preorders them. I'd be skeptical of those with low eBay feedback. Wait to get these. Can't decide if I open them or keep moc.

imevilduckie
05-27-2016, 01:32 PM
spoiler alert imevilduckie is a shareholder in Playmates :lol::lol:

Playmates is a company that is slowly becoming the enemy, and there are alot of people that agree with me. numerous times they have said stuff and done the opposite and numerous times let fans down.

i understand you have to make money but the way i see it a company has to have some heart in the products they are producing. the fact they have let us down and cockblocking other companies from the market just proves more and more they just care about the almighty $$ and the hell with everything else IMO

according to what i have seen coming down the pike in the next few months and with them being stingy with retail i have lost what little respect i had left for Playmates. nothing looks appealing that they displayed at the toy fair, just garbage. where is Karai? where is Muckman? where are the Classics Shredder and Krang? where is Pigeon Pete? if you dont want to make collectors level figures ok but why do you have to block other companies who can make far superior figures? is it really gonna hurt your profit? kids will still buy them. TRU has a new section called "collector vector" and every time i go there thats the first place i check. why cant Playmates allow collector figures to be stocked there instead of the TMNT aisle.

ill admit i have a fair share of Playmates stuff including the newly released SOTO figures but that was the last i bought from them, everything just looks like garbage after them and i probably wont buy from them anymore. even the Mega Bloks look better then Playmates attempts. my rant is over

Haha!

While it is a bummer that NECA is not able to stock some products in retail stores, Playmates clearly isn't blocking anyone from producing better quality figures -- they're just limiting where they can be sold. If you go to a restaurant that has Coke products, you can go somewhere else and get a Pepsi if that's what you want. It's the exact same thing.

SDCC is a different animal and I know that doesn't help people outside of the US, but NECA has already said that they signed exclusivity agreements with SDCC, and they did that because it was the only way to release these figures.

As for why Playmates doesn't allow collector's grade figures in stores? I've already stated multiple times the reasons why, but if you want to boil it down to one, it's that there's nothing in it for them to do so.

Look at their latest annual report:

Gross profit ratio on toy sales was 61.6% (2014: 61.9%). The slight decrease in gross profit ratio was attributable to higher level of development and tooling expenses related to new product introductions, partially offset by a higher percentage of overall sales generated in the US market.

Driven by the popular TV show, as well as new product introductions, Playmatesí TMNT toys continued to perform well at retail in the US, despite strong competitions from a number of major action adventure movies.
According to NPD and trade reports, TMNT continued to rank among the top selling boyís action toy brands in the US and key international markets during 2015. Retail sell-through ratio of our Turtles toys in the US at the end of the year was close to 90%.

In 2016, we expect strong competitions, uncertainties in the global economy and challenging conditions in our international markets to persist. On the other hand, the performance of our TMNT business should benefit from continued TMNT TV entertainment from Nickelodeon as well as the TMNT movie sequel from Paramount.

(Available here: http://ir.playmatestoys.com/eng/reports.php)

Everything about Playmates' profits is tied up in TMNT. They're making a pretty penny on US sales, and for as long as that's their bread and butter, they'll do everything they can to protect it. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's smart business.

go_ninja84
05-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Haha!

While it is a bummer that NECA is not able to stock some products in retail stores, Playmates clearly isn't blocking anyone from producing better quality figures -- they're just limiting where they can be sold. If you go to a restaurant that has Coke products, you can go somewhere else and get a Pepsi if that's what you want. It's the exact same thing.

SDCC is a different animal and I know that doesn't help people outside of the US, but NECA has already said that they signed exclusivity agreements with SDCC, and they did that because it was the only way to release these figures

As for why Playmates doesn't allow collector's grade figures in stores? I've already stated multiple times the reasons why, but if you want to boil it down to one, it's that there's nothing in it for them to do so.

i still dont think it will hurt their sales to allow collector grade figures in stores. like i said the "collector vector" area is a perfect place for them and away from the TMNT aisle keeping them separate wont hurt anything and they can still sell to kids and allow the collectors to buy stuff locally instead of farting turtles, thats right FARTING TURTLES. its like the guy sitting in the back corner of the restaurant with his bottle of Pepsi in a paper bag

imevilduckie
05-27-2016, 08:30 PM
i still dont think it will hurt their sales to allow collector grade figures in stores.

You may not, but theoretically, if you were the head of a toy company and its profits and your livelihood (as well as that of your family and dozens of employees and their families) depended on it, would you risk it? I doubt it.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-27-2016, 08:55 PM
There's a guy on eBay that has fulfilled SDCC preorders for last 6 years. I'm assuming he's a safe bet since he already preorders them. I'd be skeptical of those with low eBay feedback. Wait to get these. Can't decide if I open them or keep moc.

I'm an MIB guy myself but dang I would love to actually get my hands on these. I couldn't open them though. They just look so dang sweet in that box and I think it would display awesomely.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-27-2016, 09:00 PM
So I'm sure I'm not the first or last to ask, but is there anyone here who would be willing to pick up an extra set to sell to me for a reasonable price?

Please pm me if you are already planning on going and could pick one up for me. I live in Northern California and would totally appreciate it. Hope to hear from someone, thanks.

Dude if I were you I'd WALK to San Diego. I live in east TN and am thinking about doing it from here. LOL! These things are awesome! I actually will be at Heroescon next month and I really think I will see a set of them there. I am actually thinking about selling my Wind Waker Wii U with Mario 3d World and Smash Bros to get money to buy these with. I want them THAT bad and since Zelda is not for another year and is gonna be on NX anyway I might just do that to get my hands on these. I could probably get a pretty penny for that system with those games. Sacrifices and choices. Oh what do I do?

Candy Kappa
05-27-2016, 11:12 PM
Dude if I were you I'd WALK to San Diego. I live in east TN and am thinking about doing it from here

And then what? I assume a part of that plan is to buy a valid ticket to SDCC, since you can't buy a set without proper verification.

Or are you gonna holler every SDCC attendee carrying their sets? :lol:

hitmonkey
05-27-2016, 11:55 PM
You may not, but theoretically, if you were the head of a toy company and its profits and your livelihood (as well as that of your family and dozens of employees and their families) depended on it, would you risk it? I doubt it.

They could also try actually accommodating the collector market themselves, which would shut the issue down almost entirely. They keep re-releasing the 80's figures and labeling them as collector figures, but skip half the paint apps. They also released that History of Leonardo collector set for $100, but again there were missing paint apps and the Movie Star Leo doesn't even have his belt. It's frustrating because the sculpting has always been on point with Playmates, but they are getting so stingy with the paint that the figures are beginning to look like Happy Meal toys from the 1990's. Collectors aren't going to buy that.

I'd rather pay $25 for a well painted figure than $10 for a crappy looking one, and I know I'm not alone there. Heck, they could re-release a bunch of the Nick Turtles figures with fully painted sculpts and sell them at twice the cost, and collectors would eat them up. They just don't seem willing to try and appease that market, but they sure are quick to shut down anyone else who may.

DVD
05-28-2016, 12:57 AM
I decided to drop a deposit on one of each set.
Quoted $100US per set.

go_ninja84
05-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Dude if I were you I'd WALK to San Diego. I live in east TN and am thinking about doing it from here. LOL! These things are awesome! I actually will be at Heroescon next month and I really think I will see a set of them there. I am actually thinking about selling my Wind Waker Wii U with Mario 3d World and Smash Bros to get money to buy these with. I want them THAT bad and since Zelda is not for another year and is gonna be on NX anyway I might just do that to get my hands on these. I could probably get a pretty penny for that system with those games. Sacrifices and choices. Oh what do I do?
i did the same thing, but sold off a good portion of my Yu Gi Oh collection to Trollandtoad to get the money. alot of cards i had since the game came out but it equaled to over 400 so ill be getting these sets. sacrifices

I Crave Pizza No More
05-28-2016, 07:32 AM
I decided to drop a deposit on one of each set.
Quoted $100US per set.

That's a very nice score. Congrats.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-28-2016, 08:13 AM
And then what? I assume a part of that plan is to buy a valid ticket to SDCC, since you can't buy a set without proper verification.

Or are you gonna holler every SDCC attendee carrying their sets? :lol:

Yeah I will just guilt trip them. LOL!

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-28-2016, 08:18 AM
i did the same thing, but sold off a good portion of my Yu Gi Oh collection to Trollandtoad to get the money. alot of cards i had since the game came out but it equaled to over 400 so ill be getting these sets. sacrifices

Yeah I think I could get a pretty good amount for that and would probably be able to buy both sets. I mean the new Zelda is a NX launch title anyway and apparently so is Smash Bros so I would probably be getting it at launch anyway and it's still a year away. So I know there won't be a new Wii U must have in the meantime so it would sorta be like I was borrowing the money from myself to get the toys since I would be getting rid of my Wii U next year anyway. I still just like the feeling of knowing I HAVE my Wii U. LOL! The irony is I pretty much exclusively play my XB1 though and never my PS4. I just want The Last Guardian and that's why I'm holding on to it. At this point it's just a machine I have that plays Bloodborne and nothing else. With either of those I'd be able to afford the toys though.

DVD
05-28-2016, 06:40 PM
That's a very nice score. Congrats.

Just got better: that's $100 for both sets , not each!!! Just been chatting to a wholesaler and got the whole (pun intended) story.
Arriving mid June.

lilmotto
05-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Just got better: that's $100 for both sets , not each!!! Just been chatting to a wholesaler and got the whole (pun intended) story.
Arriving mid June.

Pretty sure that can't be right since these don't come out until the con in July and wholesalers don't have access to these any more than the general public (at least not a discounted price). I hope you know this person otherwise they are likely trying to rip you off.

go_ninja84
05-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Arriving mid June.
how did you get both sets for 50? they are gonna bee 100 at SDCC so whoever is getting them is losing out

DVD
05-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Hey, it's me. I don't get ripped off, and, where do you think these sets are right now ?
I just didn't expect to be offered these sets so I'm pretty pleased about it.

go_ninja84
05-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Hey, it's me. I don't get ripped off, and, where do you think these sets are right now ?
I just didn't expect to be offered these sets so I'm pretty pleased about it.
ill expect to see pics in a couple weeks then lol

not that i dont believe you i wanna see these thing bad

DVD
05-28-2016, 09:12 PM
I shouldn't disbelieve me: I have been propping up prerelease pictures for a couple years now. It's not my style to lie about something.

Lil Karai
05-28-2016, 09:58 PM
He's at the source ;) usually gets ahold of stuff long before we do in the states ;)

imevilduckie
05-28-2016, 09:59 PM
They just don't seem willing to try and appease that market, but they sure are quick to shut down anyone else who may.

You're right -- they're not willing. Their job is to market to children, and that doesn't seem likely to change.

DVD
05-29-2016, 03:51 AM
I firgot I had these. A comic store in Glasgow that I went in to last year.. I tried to buy it, but it wasn't for sale !
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/B597AA4E-638E-4CD4-BF32-F41823E5412A.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/B597AA4E-638E-4CD4-BF32-F41823E5412A.jpg.html)

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/4097B790-5D25-4F6F-8CCE-04ACE91462A7.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/4097B790-5D25-4F6F-8CCE-04ACE91462A7.jpg.html)

hitmonkey
05-29-2016, 04:03 AM
You're right -- they're not willing. Their job is to market to children, and that doesn't seem likely to change.

Aren't Hasbro and Mattel's primary jobs to market to kids? And yet, they still put out Marvel Legends and DC Multiverse figures for adult collectors on a regular release schedule.

My point still stands, if they want to monopolize the collector market, they need to actually contribute to it. Otherwise, get the hell out of the way and just focus on the kids lines.

go_ninja84
05-29-2016, 08:53 AM
I shouldn't disbelieve me: I have been propping up prerelease pictures for a couple years now. It's not my style to lie about something.

He's at the source ;) usually gets ahold of stuff long before we do in the states ;)

as i said its not that i didnt believe i want to see these things in different poses

AquaParade
05-29-2016, 09:32 AM

I believe you, any chance you can share the source?

imevilduckie
05-29-2016, 10:45 AM
My point still stands, if they want to monopolize the collector market, they need to actually contribute to it.

They don't want to monopolize the collector market. They just want to prevent competing products from being sold in retail spaces to protect their sales structure. You don't seem to understand how those goals are different.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-29-2016, 10:57 AM
I firgot I had these. A comic store in Glasgow that I went in to last year.. I tried to buy it, but it wasn't for sale !
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/B597AA4E-638E-4CD4-BF32-F41823E5412A.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/B597AA4E-638E-4CD4-BF32-F41823E5412A.jpg.html)

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/4097B790-5D25-4F6F-8CCE-04ACE91462A7.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/4097B790-5D25-4F6F-8CCE-04ACE91462A7.jpg.html)

I used to own this, I had the one that had flat ends on the joysticks. I had to sell it when I moved from my parents house, a fews years back.

My brother had the Simpsons and the 4 player version of the X-men. Fun times.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-30-2016, 06:00 AM
How come all the listings on ebay have been removed?

Shark_Blade
05-30-2016, 06:47 AM
Wow looks nice.

go_ninja84
05-30-2016, 07:16 AM
How come all the listings on ebay have been removed?
ebay removed them because of pre-order violations since you canonly sell pre-orders 30 days before shipping and these wont be available until July im told

TheBlueTurtle1
05-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Sure glad I waited before buying some. Would be a little worried now.

lilmotto
05-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Sure glad I waited before buying some. Would be a little worried now.

Purchases on eBay would still be valid.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-30-2016, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't personally take the risk at this point, but that's just me. Ill wait and see once they are out.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
05-30-2016, 09:55 AM
ebay removed them because of pre-order violations since you canonly sell pre-orders 30 days before shipping and these wont be available until July im told

Yeah Comic Con is like at the end of July I think so it will still be a bit before they are within the 30 days. The thing that sucks about that is that I was hoping someone might have some before Heroescon and I could maybe get a peek at them there. I just wasn't thinking about Heroescon being before Comic Con. I've put my Wii U Zelda bundle with 3d World and Smash Bros up for sale on ebay because I'm so desperate to try and get these. I probably still will wind up not being able to get them without outrageous prices though. That is even if my ebay stuff even sells.

Redrumh2o
05-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Be careful on pre-orders. If someone pre-selks one for say $160, then if they are going for $260 when in hand you will probably get a refund and they will be back on eBay. Also, who knows what kind of condition will come on. Wouldn't you want to see pics first?

TMNTFanatic4Life
05-30-2016, 08:53 PM
I see the pre sales for these figures are back on Ebay.

ProactiveMan
05-30-2016, 10:39 PM
They don't want to monopolize the collector market. They just want to prevent competing products from being sold in retail spaces to protect their sales structure. You don't seem to understand how those goals are different.

What real competition would NECA be to Playmates at retail anyway? Playmates make mass market stuff, that doesnít cost a hell of a lot, sold by every toy retailer in the universe. NECA canít compete in that market, and I doubt they would even try. Maybe the Classic Collection would be at risk, but it seems to me that Playmates arenít that invested in that stuff anyway. Even if they only let NECA sell the video game stuff in pricey box-sets, the market for those figures is so limited that I doubt Playmates would even feel it.

I know Playmates literally paid for the right to exclude competitors, but I think there is an opportunity for them to create some goodwill between their brand and a sub-set of consumers who are losing interest in their products.

DVD
05-31-2016, 03:12 AM
I updated my Neca display in anticipation of the new sets.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/DVD_023/71EDC29B-DE67-44C7-A12F-2A28E93F7BAB.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/DVD_023/media/71EDC29B-DE67-44C7-A12F-2A28E93F7BAB.jpg.html)

I plan to put the Turtles to the left of this lot, and the foot to the right !

And I had a bad thought. I'm heading to Europe in a couple of weeks to catch some Iron Maiden gigs. I might be getting these early...but unless they arrive very sharply, I won't see en till I return late July.

Wildcat
05-31-2016, 04:00 AM
The figures look great but the 8-bit paint jobs look weird imo. Like tribal markings or something. I'd prefer them normal.

DVD
05-31-2016, 04:35 AM
The paint app gives them a unique and very interesting look in my opinion .

imevilduckie
05-31-2016, 09:15 AM
What real competition would NECA be to Playmates at retail anyway? Playmates make mass market stuff, that doesnít cost a hell of a lot, sold by every toy retailer in the universe. NECA canít compete in that market, and I doubt they would even try. Maybe the Classic Collection would be at risk, but it seems to me that Playmates arenít that invested in that stuff anyway. Even if they only let NECA sell the video game stuff in pricey box-sets, the market for those figures is so limited that I doubt Playmates would even feel it.

I know Playmates literally paid for the right to exclude competitors, but I think there is an opportunity for them to create some goodwill between their brand and a sub-set of consumers who are losing interest in their products.

You're likely right, but the important thing to remember here is that Playmates is interested in their core audience of children and that's it. They don't need to create goodwill toward hardcore fans and/or collectors because it won't bring them any extra revenue. They just don't care about this market, and they don't have to. They're not going to make any compromises to assist competitors, and certainly not to appease the people who don't buy their products anyway.

go_ninja84
05-31-2016, 10:02 AM
so thats the answer screw the collector community? im not interested in any of that crap Playmates is putting out now. the OOTS figures were the last ones i will buy from them. as much as they dont wanna believe alot of the audience is adult collectors and a good company should try their best to make everyone happy not just say f**k em. which is what they are doing

Playmates is not the company they were. dont forget its us adult fans got them to where they are today and this is the respect we get?

as i have said before allowing another company like NECA who makes quality figures for collector market to sell in retail wont hurt Playmates just separate the two. the core audience is still kids and they wont miss a beat when their new crap comes out

imevilduckie
05-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Playmates is not the company they were. dont forget its us adult fans got them to where they are today and this is the respect we get?

I don't understand the sense of entitlement. They made products that you liked when you were younger so you bought them. They make products now that you don't like so you don't buy them. That's all well and good. Support the products and the companies that you want to support.

But the company itself doesn't owe you anything. They're a business and they're doing what they feel serves that interest best. It shouldn't be taken as a personal slight against you.

imevilduckie
05-31-2016, 12:03 PM
On another note, it looks like the pre-orders for SDCC are sold out. 1353 orders for the turtles and 1059 for the villains set.

lilmotto
05-31-2016, 02:12 PM
On another note, it looks like the pre-orders for SDCC are sold out. 1353 orders for the turtles and 1059 for the villains set.

Where did you get these numbers from? (Not saying you are wrong just overall curious).

imevilduckie
05-31-2016, 02:44 PM
Where did you get these numbers from? (Not saying you are wrong just overall curious).
From the Shopify API.

go_ninja84
05-31-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't understand the sense of entitlement. They made products that you liked when you were younger so you bought them. They make products now that you don't like so you don't buy them. That's all well and good. Support the products and the companies that you want to support.

But the company itself doesn't owe you anything. They're a business and they're doing what they feel serves that interest best. It shouldn't be taken as a personal slight against you.
thats the thing how can we support a company when Playmates is cockblocking them at retail? not everyone can order online or go to SDCC

you must work for them or something, you seem to be the only one defending them for their poor quality and stingy attitude

i do feel they owe us something. we were loyal to them for years and this is what we get? we cant even get decent collectors figures from them

Powder
05-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Yeah, while you've made a lot of fair & informed posts, you're going up to bat for them an awful lot. Informing people is good, but let's be real, no matter the reasons behind them, their practices are a point of contention for many people. Let 'em vent/bitch. Some of their moves are strictly business, sure, but there are elements of pettiness, disrespect, entitlement on their part too, both towards other license holders & the fan base.

imevilduckie
05-31-2016, 09:34 PM
you must work for them or something, you seem to be the only one defending them for their poor quality and stingy attitude

i do feel they owe us something. we were loyal to them for years and this is what we get? we cant even get decent collectors figures from them

I'm not trying to defend their position, and I don't work anywhere near that industry (I'm a web developer). Nowhere have I said that I think they're right. I think it sucks that they won't allow NECA to sell TMNT stuff at retail. All I'm trying to point out is that taking their business decisions personally makes no rational sense, and if I ran a business like theirs, I'd probably do the same thing to protect my position if I had that choice.

Yeah, while you've made a lot of fair & informed posts, you're going up to bat for them an awful lot. Informing people is good, but let's be real, no matter the reasons behind them, their practices are a point of contention for many people. Let 'em vent/bitch. Some of their moves are strictly business, sure, but there are elements of pettiness, disrespect, entitlement on their part too, both towards other license holders & the fan base.

I have no issue with people venting. Franchises thrive on the passions of their fans, and that's why we're all here -- we're fans. I'm not going to SDCC this year, so normally, I would be without these figures as well. Luckily, an acquaintance who is going has volunteered to help me out. But even if that weren't the case, my position would remain the same. I'm not going to curse the company because they're serving their interests. That's why companies exist, and it's the furthest thing from a personal attack possible. Companies don't owe us anything. They make something and we either buy it or don't. That's the end of the transaction.

And anyone who really wants these figures will be able to get them. People may pay an inflated price, but that's their prerogative. I'm paying an inflated price, too, when you factor in a tip for my friend and shipping. But them's the breaks, aren't they? I buy limited edition stuff on the secondary market quite frequently, and I accept that that's the way it is. I don't curse the company who made it just because I'm choosing to pay more than the retail value for something. If I want something bad enough to pay that amount, then it's worth it to me.

Shark_Blade
05-31-2016, 10:55 PM
Any other place to get these other than ebay?

DVD
05-31-2016, 11:01 PM
I think they are going to made available at San Diego....

Autbot_Benz
05-31-2016, 11:24 PM
Any other place to get these other than ebay?

San Deigo Comic Con only no retail release you can blame Playmates for that

go_ninja84
06-01-2016, 05:53 AM
I'm not trying to defend their position, and I don't work anywhere near that industry (I'm a web developer). Nowhere have I said that I think they're right. I think it sucks that they won't allow NECA to sell TMNT stuff at retail. All I'm trying to point out is that taking their business decisions personally makes no rational sense, and if I ran a business like theirs, I'd probably do the same thing to protect my position if I had that choice.

im sorry i disagree with your statements and nothing you say will change my mind about Playmates they are the stingiest/cheapest company i have seen

while i do agree if people want these figures they will do what it takes but the amount the jumping through hoops to get them is what i blame Playmates and their stingy way of operations.

aside from the cheap ass figures they have numerous times let fans down not releasing figures canceling vital figures for collections and all around cheapness. if a factory in Hong Kong can produce the same quality figures and are selling them for less then 5 dollars while Playmates figures continue to come short on quality but surprise surprise no change on price. i recently bought the OOTS disguised figures and returned them the next day when i saw the cheapness in them Leos belt is not even painted all the way around!! just the front is. Raphael had paint chipping off while he is still in the package, in fact i could even see some of the white paint ships on the bottom of the package from his arm wraps how cheap!!

ProactiveMan
06-01-2016, 09:33 AM

I agree that it isn't worth getting crazy over toys.

Having said that, I don't think complaining about this situation is out of line, and I don't think it's necessarily futile. If Playmates don't care about this market and don't stand to gain anything from our goodwill, we cannot effect their bottom line because we don't contribute to it. Never the less, they are effecting our buying power, so we have to respond via the only means necessary. Whining at everyone who will listen in the hope that we can make Playmates look bad in the eyes of the customers they do care about.

I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it, but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. I understand why the Coca-Cola Company (allegedly) whacks union leaders in Columbia, but there's no way I will condone that. That's just an example BTW; I'm not seriously comparing murder with toy licensing.

imevilduckie
06-01-2016, 02:26 PM
im sorry i disagree with your statements and nothing you say will change my mind about Playmates they are the stingiest/cheapest company i have seen

while i do agree if people want these figures they will do what it takes but the amount the jumping through hoops to get them is what i blame Playmates and their stingy way of operations.

aside from the cheap ass figures they have numerous times let fans down not releasing figures canceling vital figures for collections and all around cheapness. if a factory in Hong Kong can produce the same quality figures and are selling them for less then 5 dollars while Playmates figures continue to come short on quality but surprise surprise no change on price. i recently bought the OOTS disguised figures and returned them the next day when i saw the cheapness in them Leos belt is not even painted all the way around!! just the front is. Raphael had paint chipping off while he is still in the package, in fact i could even see some of the white paint ships on the bottom of the package from his arm wraps how cheap!!

Nothing wrong with that. But you need to remember: they're not creating products for you. Their market is children, and children who want TMNT figures aren't nearly as discerning as adult collectors. They don't make products of higher quality because they don't need to.

imevilduckie
06-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Having said that, I don't think complaining about this situation is out of line, and I don't think it's necessarily futile. If Playmates don't care about this market and don't stand to gain anything from our goodwill, we cannot effect their bottom line because we don't contribute to it. Never the less, they are effecting our buying power, so we have to respond via the only means necessary. Whining at everyone who will listen in the hope that we can make Playmates look bad in the eyes of the customers they do care about.

I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it, but that doesn't mean I have to accept it.

The best means possible would be to talk directly to Playmates. They have e-mail, Twitter, and Facebook pages. Complain where it might actually do some good and where others can see it. Complain to Nickelodeon and let them know how you feel. Let them know that you don't support anti-competitive business practices, and more importantly, that Nickelodeon is losing money by allowing Playmates to do this.

Nick is part of a publicly-traded conglomerate, and the best way to make them care about an issue is to demonstrate how it will effect their profits negatively. That's how you get companies to pay attention. Complaining on a message board for hardcore fans isn't going to get anyone to notice the issue who doesn't already know about it.

I'm not seriously comparing murder with toy licensing.

That line made me nearly spit up water at my desk! :)

go_ninja84
06-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Nothing wrong with that. But you need to remember: they're not creating products for you. Their market is children, and children who want TMNT figures aren't nearly as discerning as adult collectors. They don't make products of higher quality because they don't need to.

thats all well and good for kids but what are the adult collectors supposed to do? they make us jump through hoops to get the stuff they forbid to sell in retail. thats where i blame them
The best means possible would be to talk directly to Playmates. They have e-mail, Twitter, and Facebook pages. Complain where it might actually do some good and where others can see it. Complain to Nickelodeon and let them know how you feel. Let them know that you don't support anti-competitive business practices, and more importantly, that Nickelodeon is losing money by allowing Playmates to do this.

thats does nothing, they ignore the cries of fans and post stupid trivia, pictures of kids playing with the toys, and instructional videos the epitome of a useless company

Autbot_Benz
06-01-2016, 03:00 PM
thats all well and good for kids but what are the adult collectors supposed to do? they make us jump through hoops to get the stuff they forbid to sell in retail. thats where i blame them

thats does nothing, they ignore the cries of fans and post stupid trivia, pictures of kids playing with the toys, and instructional videos the epitome of a useless company

http://i.imgur.com/nPpVDMW.jpg

imevilduckie
06-01-2016, 03:04 PM

You just answered your own question, my friend. Again, they're not here to serve adult collectors. That's not why they exist. I'm not saying it's right -- just that that's the way it is.

Are you talking about Playmates or Nickelodeon? Why not try speaking to the people that can actually do something about it? Like the people that own the property?

Powder
06-01-2016, 06:22 PM

Dude, seriously, you have no idea the depths of their sh*ttiness. I give you props for the business insight & such, you know your stuff & I appreciate you presenting it with a calm demeanor, but you clearly don't have the experience with Playmates that we do. I can tell because you'd be feverish as the rest of us if you did. :tlol:

They are jerks, straight up. When they're not deleting our comments (& blocking us after the fact) they're being rude, dismissive, or in some cases, outright mocking us. One guy from the company joined the forums a few years back & straight bullied the hell out of a member who was then a very vocal, disgruntled buyer. Someone who was fair & constructive in their criticism, asking questions & making suggestions in a totally reasonable fashion. The Playmates rep who came here basically wrote a novel of insults, berating him on a pretty personal level, as well as the rest of us by extension. Saying that they would read his emails aloud & laugh at the absurdity of an adult caring about these things or whatever.

They even have in-house shills. I remember a bunch of us were ticked off about something on their Facebook, this guy was saying all kinds of foul sh*t under the guise of being a defensive fan of theirs. After a little snooping about, I learned he worked for the damn company.

They do not care about us or our opinions. If you get a response via email, it's cookie cutter copy & paste nonsense, corporate as all get out. As far as social media goes, anything that isn't complacent praise is either removed or met with attitude. The first time, they'll delete your comments, the second, they're passive aggressive (if they reply at all), they'll outright block you, too. Messages aren't even read. Trying to get them to hear us out is a lost cause. By all means, if you can think of/know/find parties at Viacom who would hear these cries, please direct us to them. I'd be happy to write an informed & impassioned letter were it not to fall on blind eyes.

Autbot_Benz
06-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Dude, seriously, you have no idea the depths of their sh*ttiness. I give you props for the business insight & such, you know your stuff & I appreciate you presenting it with a calm demeanor, but you clearly don't have the experience with Playmates that we do. I can tell because you'd be feverish as the rest of us if you did. :tlol:

They are jerks, straight up. When they're not deleting our comments (& blocking us after the fact) they're being rude, dismissive, or in some cases, outright mocking us. One guy from the company joined the forums a few years back & straight bullied the hell out of a member who was then a very vocal, disgruntled buyer. Someone who was fair & constructive in their criticism, asking questions & making suggestions in a totally reasonable fashion. The Playmates rep who came here basically wrote a novel of insults, berating him on a pretty personal level, as well as the rest of us by extension. Saying that they would read his emails aloud & laugh at the absurdity of an adult caring about these things or whatever.

They even have in-house shills. I remember a bunch of us were ticked off about something on their Facebook, this guy was saying all kinds of foul sh*t under the guise of being a defensive fan of theirs. After a little snooping about, I learned he worked for the damn company.

They do not care about us or our opinions. If you get a response via email, it's cookie cutter copy & paste nonsense, corporate as all get out. & as I said before, anything that isn't complacent praise is either removed or met with attitude. Trying to get them to hear us out is a lost cause. By all means, if you can think of/know/find parties at Viacom who would hear these cries, by all means, direct us to them. I'd be happy to write an informed & impassioned letter were it not to fall on blind eyes.

Preach My Brother Preach.

imevilduckie
06-01-2016, 07:24 PM
They are jerks, straight up. ...

Wow, that makes me sad to hear. I had no idea that their disdain for customers was quite that bad. Now that I have that context, so much of the vitriol makes sense. I'm sorry that that has happened to people on here. Harassment shouldn't be tolerated -- especially from a brand that is meant to appeal to families and children.

By all means, if you can think of/know/find parties at Viacom who would hear these cries, please direct us to them. I'd be happy to write an informed & impassioned letter were it not to fall on blind eyes.

Well, here's what I was able to find after some searching:

David Sztoser
Vice President, Licensing
David.Sztoser@nick.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-sztoser-a096332

Liz Rich Cohen
Senior Director Licensing, Toys
Liz.Rich.Cohen@nick.com (or possibly Liz.Cohen@nick.com)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/liz-rich-cohen-4a05b81

Either/both of these people would probably be a good place to start. They are based at Nick's HQ in New York City. The phone number for the main Nick switchboard is: 212-846-2543.

Digital Ghost
06-01-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm replying, for the mere purpose of agreeing with everything Powder stated. Playmates Toys doesn't appear to understand the basic concept of decent customer service and the only time you'll witness anyone under their employ behaving professionally is when they're showcasing a new product for the camera. I've been on the receiving end of their poor behaviour, simply inquiring about a product or two... and the last time I contacted them, they stated they couldn't assist me because I'm in Canada and they don't consort with Canadian customers. :tlol:

To read that an employee of theirs registered to berate a TMNT fan doesn't surprise me one bit.

ProactiveMan
06-01-2016, 09:52 PM
That line made me nearly spit up water at my desk! :)

Haha, I guess I'll have to try harder next time. :lol:

VaughnMichael
06-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Yeah that person was me and trust me I've not forgotten.
The @sshole then shrugged it off like it was my roast or some bullcrap.
I could run that company better with my eyes closed, hands down.
Give me one year and I'd set things on the right path.

Lil Karai
07-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Heads up. Another opportunity to pre-order for pickup at SDCC:
http://necaonline.com/57050/blog/san-diego-comic-con/sdcc-2016-exclusives-limited-stock-live-for-pre-order-on-wednesday-713/?utm_campaign=SDCC16lastchanceblog&utm_source=necafbgplus&utm_medium=social

After this pre-order, there will be a limited amount available for non-preorder purchase at SDCC, first come, first serve.

DVD
07-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Got a great email from my supplier. He confirmed my sets again and plans to ensure that my sets are with me when I get back into town next week.
And- not my cup of tea, but Pixelated Dan has a video revue of the two sets up on YouTube. I watched a few seconds worth of it. Sets look very nice.

Autbot_Benz
07-19-2016, 10:52 AM
4nO2RDYUDrM

go_ninja84
07-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Got a great email from my supplier. He confirmed my sets again and plans to ensure that my sets are with me when I get back into town next week.
And- not my cup of tea, but Pixelated Dan has a video revue of the two sets up on YouTube. I watched a few seconds worth of it. Sets look very nice.
cool post some pics when you get. i wanna see the articulation of these

DVD
07-19-2016, 11:38 AM
You might have to wait till I get a second set.
I'm very likely to keep these first two sets displayed in pack. If they look as good in hand, I'll get a second set to inbox

degausser
07-19-2016, 12:28 PM
hm im not much a fan of them now that i've watched that video.

DVD
07-19-2016, 12:57 PM
I had a similar thought - I'm not much of a fan of the video. I found it annoying (what little I actually watched).
I think the figures themselves are fine, and will make a fantastic display piece.

degausser
07-19-2016, 01:33 PM
yeah, they will look great on display and in box. I was so stoked when these were announced and loved them when pics were released but after seeing the video I'm just so mehh on them. I guess I'm seeing what some people saw when the pictures were released.

go_ninja84
07-19-2016, 01:34 PM
man did anyone else notice the lack of paint on the feet? from the back it almost looks like they are wearing green socks

inaheap
07-19-2016, 04:06 PM
I am kinda hoping someone does a custom job on these to make them toon accurate.

Candy Kappa
07-19-2016, 04:59 PM
The sculpt and scale looks excellent, hopefully we'll one day see a release with a non-VG paint job.

Mew
07-19-2016, 05:01 PM
The sculpting is awesome! But I hate that pixel look. It's horrible.

Etsyturtle2
07-19-2016, 05:17 PM
The sculpting is awesome! But I hate that pixel look. It's horrible.

You are agree.
Conglaturation

TheBlueTurtle1
07-20-2016, 12:35 AM
The sculpts are awesome, but the more I see the pixel paint work, the more I go off them a little.

DVD
07-20-2016, 01:58 AM
The pixel paint job is the whole point. It's well done and gives a well presented representation of the characters as seen in the game.

go_ninja84
07-20-2016, 05:33 AM
I kinda like the pixel paint job too, but I would be lying if I said Im not interested in toon repaints. If we get that far we will probably have to jump through hoops to get them though thanks to Playmates

Etsyturtle2
07-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Why are the pixels diagonal, that defeats the whole points of the pixels!

tmntfannumerouno
07-20-2016, 01:09 PM
I had a similar thought - I'm not much of a fan of the video. I found it annoying (what little I actually watched).
I think the figures themselves are fine, and will make a fantastic display piece.

My problem wasn't with the video but the figures themselves. When these were first announced I felt bad that i'd be missing out but after seeing them, :ohwell: . They should go back and finish up the mirage lineup.

Mew
07-20-2016, 01:28 PM
You are agree.
Conglaturation
This makes no sense.

Digital Ghost
07-20-2016, 11:01 PM
I just purchased a set on eBay. They're such great display pieces and I didn't want to pass them up in case the prices skyrocket later on. I hate exclusives but the memories I have of the game forced my hand. That and the fact that I'm an avid collector of NECA figures. Happy end to a long work day.

Filespit
07-21-2016, 08:11 AM
I just purchased a set on eBay. They're such great display pieces and I didn't want to pass them up in case the prices skyrocket later on. I hate exclusives but the memories I have of the game forced my hand. That and the fact that I'm an avid collector of NECA figures. Happy end to a long work day.

I'll do the same thing, I have no chance whatsoever to get them otherwise, unless there's a kind soul here on the forums who'll help me out. How much did you pay for yours?

go_ninja84
07-21-2016, 08:14 AM
dont feel so bad i did the same thing. i got both sets

Candy Kappa
07-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Shartimus Prime's review of the Turtles:

z7hJ4Pv77-o

Ninturtle
07-22-2016, 03:10 PM
These could have actually ben pretty good if the pixelation wasn't so dark and the pixelation was on the hands and feet.

Lil Karai
07-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Woot! Got them in hand and these guys are great! Love the sizes, colors,
And display boxes. Pixelation makes this a very special and unique set. Great addition to NECA's Video Game Appearance line and their TMNT portfolio.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2h6vre1.jpg

EddieNES
07-22-2016, 08:54 PM
Anyone looking for a loose figure. Ebay seller igytz has a few up around 50$ a piece. Expensive, but if really want a certain turtle, at least there is a option.

I almost grabbed Don, but hopefully more will show up a bit cheaper.
50$ is half a Henson Neca!

turtlefan27
07-22-2016, 10:08 PM
What were these sets going for a piece at the con?

Lil Karai
07-22-2016, 10:35 PM
$100 each set =$25 per figure if you want to think of it that way.

tmntman
07-22-2016, 10:36 PM

$100 per set.

I Crave Pizza No More
07-23-2016, 05:45 AM

$100 per set.

Yes, but as a vet of SDCC, let me say that navigating the crowds, getting the figures, carrying them around or finding someplace to store them, and then finally trying to ship them all takes additional work and energy.

I wouldn't pay $50/figure, but I also wouldn't ever expect to get one for $25, either. Doesn't take into account everything I mentioned above, the shipping costs, and eBay and PayPal fees.

TheBlueTurtle1
07-23-2016, 06:10 AM
I am interested in buying a set, anyone who has picked up an extra set, or wants to sell the one they have. Please PM me.

go_ninja84
07-23-2016, 07:25 AM
I'm still waiting on my sets, anybody who pre ordered from eBay still waiting too?

lilmotto
07-23-2016, 07:43 AM
I'm still waiting on my sets, anybody who pre ordered from eBay still waiting too?

The con just started so your seller likely just got the figures. Unless you chose overnight shipping I'd expect you will get it mid next week.

tmntman
07-23-2016, 08:16 AM
The con just started so your seller likely just got the figures. Unless you chose overnight shipping I'd expect you will get it mid next week.

Even if you paid for overnight shipping, I'd be surprised to see these go out before Monday. If someone is going to spend the money and time to go to comic con, they probably aren't interested in spending several hours at the local Pack & Ship store mailing out exclusives. They've got a convention to attend.

Garfield
07-23-2016, 09:19 AM
I think these are the most visually accurate representation of the OT Turtles in figure form, well except for the giant pixels.

The Turtles weren't pixelated like that in the Arcade games, but I get what they are trying to do. Its not actually accurate to what it advertises itself as, but I think its kind of clever.

turtlefan27
07-23-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the reply

Zulithe
07-23-2016, 12:05 PM
I've been thinking about ebaying them but if I can wait for a mass release with non-pixelated colors I'll do it.

Have we heard ANYTHING about a non-SDCC release of these figures in any shape or form?

Keep holding out for some solid info on this...

Autbot_Benz
07-23-2016, 12:09 PM
I've been thinking about ebaying them but if I can wait for a mass release with non-pixelated colors I'll do it.

Have we heard ANYTHING about a non-SDCC release of these figures in any shape or form?

As of now Its only sold at SDCC unless you get it from Ebay. Its playmates that is forcing them to Con only this set.

go_ninja84
07-23-2016, 01:28 PM

It's worth the price considering their black and white Mirage set is over 300 now

Powder
07-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Damn, is it really? I could sell mine & buy the Henson turtles with that dough...

909 Turtle Fan
07-23-2016, 03:16 PM
I went to Frank and son's this morning and bought both sets. They're really cool except when I got home I noticed in the bottom right corner, next to Raphael, there is one of those small do not eat silica bags. It's kinda bugging me. I keep my stuff unopened so I might use the blow dryer on the tape so I can get it open and remove it.

go_ninja84
07-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Damn, is it really? I could sell mine & buy the Henson turtles with that dough...

I could never part with my set Ive had them for a while now, still in box too

Powder
07-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I've had mine for 7 years MOC too but I'd definitely trade those for these.

cloud
07-24-2016, 01:13 AM

Don't think there would be any form of mass release for these figures. NECA simply just can't.

Redemption
07-24-2016, 07:16 AM
It's worth the price considering their black and white Mirage set is over 300 now

I like the new video sets but they have nothing on the old neca mirage turtles.

Lil Karai
07-24-2016, 12:02 PM
VeeBee over at the Fwoosh.com posted this pic. Nice comparisons here.
http://i68.tinypic.com/5l5enl.jpg

Candy Kappa
07-24-2016, 01:55 PM
The scale is great, it's breaking my hearth.

TurtleManiac
07-24-2016, 11:08 PM
Whoa these figures look great, I want them! I just wish they had made an arcade Bebop and Rocksteady for the villain set, rather than 2 additional foot soldiers, that would have been awesome.

I notice the actress for April on the marquee cover art has been replaced with a different actress, why is that? Also the vintage TMNT OT logo has been changed looks different, is that a legal issue that NECA can't use the vintage OT logo?

DVD
07-25-2016, 12:49 AM
My sets are on the way.
The logo is the current marketing tool and as such will be used accordingly.

I agree that the sets look fantastic, and the pic above showing the scale really sets them off as being a great addition to a Turtles collection.

DVD
07-25-2016, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I've had mine for 7 years MOC too but I'd definitely trade those for these.

The Henson figures are looking like $100 each. I'd keep the BW Mirage set personally and find another way to finance the 18" movie set.

My final bill came in for my Video Turtles. Just under $90 a set. I actually thought I was getting a great deal, as I thought that was for the pair!!! Haha!!

I've told my guy I'm back in town and they are on their way. Cool.