PDA

View Full Version : Problems with merchandise sales?

neatoman
05-24-2016, 01:16 PM
I can really only speak for the Swedish market and my picture of it might be anecdotal, but really doesn't look good. For a long time now I've not seen the stores stock up and new toys and recently every store I've been to have put all of their Nick TMNT toys in a bargain bin or put some other kind of price cuts on them, as if they're desperate to get rid of them. Like I said, this seems to be the Swedish market, I have no idea how it is in other countries.

The reason I put this in the Nick section rather than the toy section, is because a lot people here are arguing that the show will continue as long as the toys sell. But from what I can see, the toys aren't selling, so I want to know if they're selling elsewhere?

Donatello19
05-24-2016, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't say they're not selling at all, but they're definitely not flying off the shelves like the used to. I'm sure a good majority of the original kid audience for this show that was formed back in 2012 has since moved on...

CyberCubed
05-24-2016, 01:44 PM
The toys are selling fine. Much better than the 2k3 series did.

Also merch sales doesn't just come from toys, it comes from stuff like bed sheets, book bags, pencils/books, coloring books, stickers, Megablock sets, etc....anything that has the Nick Turtles printed on them.

Tarris Vaal
05-24-2016, 02:23 PM
There still seems to be plenty of interest among my daughters friends and school buddies. But I have noticed there is a lot less stuff available now. Especially the figures.

CyberCubed
05-24-2016, 02:25 PM
I was at Toys R Us two days ago and the shelves were packed with figures from both the cartoon and the new movie.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-24-2016, 04:31 PM
I can really only speak for the Swedish market and my picture of it might be anecdotal, but really doesn't look good. For a long time now I've not seen the stores stock up and new toys and recently every store I've been to have put all of their Nick TMNT toys in a bargain bin or put some other kind of price cuts on them, as if they're desperate to get rid of them. Like I said, this seems to be the Swedish market, I have no idea how it is in other countries.

The reason I put this in the Nick section rather than the toy section, is because a lot people here are arguing that the show will continue as long as the toys sell. But from what I can see, the toys aren't selling, so I want to know if they're selling elsewhere?

When the 1987-1996 cartoon aired, merchandise franchises from the USA would reach Sweden years later, peak later and fade away earlier. Not only TMNT but also Heman, Transformers. Before TV 3 Sweden and TV 1000 (at daytime an innoncent TV channel airing 1970's and 80's film and TV series versions of Astrid Lindgren books, by nights something else...) there were usually no TV channel airing them (thankfully this began to chance existed when TMNT hit Sweden). So Sweden had to rely on buy-videotape and comic books. (because SVT thought everything like that was "too violent")

For example: I liked some Heman and never knew who Shera was and was chocked learning just some years ago who Shera was and that Hordak is not in the 1983-1985 Heman cartoon.

With 2003-2009 and 2012 TMNT as well as the Internet it has taken less time for merchandise franchises from the USA to reach Sweden. But the Swedish market is smaller and still both seem to have faded out erarlier.