PDA

View Full Version : The #1 collectible that was never made...

Commenter 42
05-25-2016, 03:07 PM
I think I've asked this before, but again, I'm doing a little research...

What is the #1 TMNT item you wish you could have, but has never been made?

Let's just blue sky it, see where we end up.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
05-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Trade paperbacks for the entire Image Volume 3 and Mirage Volume 4 run.
Trade paperbacks organized in terms of story chronology, not publishing date, of Tales Volume 2.
Complete season set DVDs of the 4Kids series.
IDW action figures.

Not sure how many of those qualify as collectibles, but I'd give my wisdom teeth sans anesthetic to get any one of those.

d_osborn
05-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Good thread idea-- maybe licensees are watching.

You only asked for one, but here are a few from my TMNT wish list.

-Replica 1990 movie production maquette replicas (I'm guessing The Jim Henson Company still has these in their archives, though it looks like NECA is super close with their upcoming pieces)

-Accurate, detailed, researched 1990 movie prop replicas-- TMNT weapons, Shredder helmet

-1990 movie score release

-Archival quality 1:1 scale giclée prints of major TMNT cover paintings. Eastman/Laird, Farley, Zulli, whoever... TMNT is a visual property with strong roots in comics and a great fanbase that really appreciates the art/artists. This needs to happen. There's obviously a market. 11x17 laser jet con prints aren't cutting it.

Mew
05-25-2016, 03:25 PM
An official re-release of the Neca TMNT with OT bandanas! (Even though the bootlegs are incredibly good.)

Cryomancer
05-25-2016, 03:33 PM
A quality video game for Mirage.

Commenter 42
05-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Added a poll, for the dancers...

I mean... eesh...I make'a 'da'bad jokes-a AH!

bad...

Mmmm, should have added more than just toys to the poll...I sucks.

The Fifth Turtle
05-25-2016, 03:47 PM
For me:

Continuation of Neca's Mirage line.

A collected book of the newspaper comic strips.

A Mirage issue 1 movie done in the style of Sin City. (DVDs are considered collectibles)

EddieNES
05-25-2016, 03:51 PM
I've always wanted a McFarlane TMNT line. Perhaps pull from all material and knock out crazy detailed figures. The TMNT Legacy collection. I named it in my head.

Also really wanted that rumored TMNT game made by Arkham series Rocksteady.

Etsyturtle2
05-25-2016, 03:58 PM
An 11-inch OOTS movie Kraang figure.

d_osborn
05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
A Mirage issue 1 movie done in the style of Sin City. (DVDs are considered collectibles)
I would LOVE to see whatever development materials were generated for the Direct-to-DVD adaptation of Mirage 1 that Laird mentioned being in the works prior to Turtles Forever.

An 11-inch OOTS movie Kraang figure.
I would be happy with a Jello mold!

theassassin
05-25-2016, 05:05 PM
There's just three things left on my wishlist:

-High-quality, cartoon accurate action figures of the Turtles - FINALLY we are getting this, thanks to Figuarts!

-High-quality, cartoon accurate action figures of the OTHER characters! - fingers crossed Figuarts will do this. I'd at least like the essentials, which I consider to be Shredder, Splinter, April, Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, and a Foot Soldier. But ideally I'd like a full, extensive line that covers as many characters from the show as possible. Plus a high-quality properly-scaled Turtle Van!

-Special edition DVD releases of each season of the original cartoon, completely remastered, ideally including fixing obvious mistakes like occassional coloring errors, all episodes in the correct order, and consistent, nicely designed case artwork that properly captures the feel and design of the show. The current DVDs just look like generic TMNT merchandise and the case artwork designs are all over the place with cheap looking stock artwork and completely different styles of design and layout. And I don't like the Turtle van gimmick case of the "complete" set.

-High-quality artwork display pieces (i.e. posters etc) based 100% on the cartoon, so much that they look like they could have been drawn by the original animators. To clarify, these would need to be newly commissioned for the purpose, because as far as I can tell there is virtually zero high-quality artwork around that looks like it came straight out of the cartoon. Other than cells or screenshots from the cartoon, which isn't what I have in mind. Whenever I've looked for a nice artwork display piece of TMNT, all I find is cheap-looking stock images arranged with a TMNT logo into what looks poor quality (like a pullout poster from a kids comic), comic artwork pieces (which are good quality but I don't remember the comics, I remember the cartoon), movie posters, modern TMNT cartoon posters, or other stylized TMNT depictions that just don't look particularly like the cartoon. I want some high-quality artwork that I can frame up and display which clearly and specifically celebrates the cartoon and properly represents the characters and look of the show.

Cryomancer
05-25-2016, 05:29 PM
I wonder if there are the correct assets still (ever?) to do a HD release of the 2k3 show. It might unfortunately be one of those shows that got caught between technology timings and only exists in SD or something lame like that. Or they're just not bothering.

thundermaster612
05-25-2016, 06:09 PM
A Scratch 90s rerelease to troll the fans :kgrin:
and Mikey in Etsy's current profile pic
(kidding about the Mikey one)

Commenter 42
05-25-2016, 09:52 PM
-High-quality artwork display pieces (i.e. posters etc) based 100% on the cartoon, so much that they look like they could have been drawn by the original animators. To clarify, these would need to be newly commissioned for the purpose, because as far as I can tell there is virtually zero high-quality artwork around that looks like it came straight out of the cartoon. Other than cells or screenshots from the cartoon, which isn't what I have in mind. Whenever I've looked for a nice artwork display piece of TMNT, all I find is cheap-looking stock images arranged with a TMNT logo into what looks poor quality (like a pullout poster from a kids comic), comic artwork pieces (which are good quality but I don't remember the comics, I remember the cartoon), movie posters, modern TMNT cartoon posters, or other stylized TMNT depictions that just don't look particularly like the cartoon. I want some high-quality artwork that I can frame up and display which clearly and specifically celebrates the cartoon and properly represents the characters and look of the show.

I think there's actually an artist here that fits that request. He's insanely talented. I forget the link, maybe Kappa can point us in the right direction.

slashpieturtlemix
05-25-2016, 10:04 PM
The only collectibles i want, we will never get. I want those canceled vintage turtles. Fluffy rahzar, wizard splinter, et c

Commenter 42
05-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Good thread idea-- maybe licensees are watching.

You only asked for one, but here are a few from my TMNT wish list.

-Replica 1990 movie production maquette replicas (I'm guessing The Jim Henson Company still has these in their archives, though it looks like NECA is super close with their upcoming pieces)

-Accurate, detailed, researched 1990 movie prop replicas-- TMNT weapons, Shredder helmet

-1990 movie score release

-Archival quality 1:1 scale giclée prints of major TMNT cover paintings. Eastman/Laird, Farley, Zulli, whoever... TMNT is a visual property with strong roots in comics and a great fanbase that really appreciates the art/artists. This needs to happen. There's obviously a market. 11x17 laser jet con prints aren't cutting it.

YES! lol, I said "hot toys" because, well, it's sort of the name in quality today, but lately, I'm starting to think it's possible to have better.

Seriously, who wouldn't want Production quality Maquette's, or Shredders helmet.

good show.

Let us never argue about stupid PDMT again. You clearly do have taste. :lol:

The only collectibles i want, we will never get. I want those canceled vintage turtles. Fluffy rahzar, wizard splinter, et c

got a link to a pic?

oldmanwinters
05-25-2016, 10:08 PM
I don't really understand the poll choices. How did those options make the cut... were those ever planned but never produced?

Commenter 42
05-25-2016, 11:12 PM
I don't really understand the poll choices. How did those options make the cut... were those ever planned but never produced?

Just wanted to get the ball rolling. Those are things I've not seen produced properly, if at all. Just a conversation starter if anything.

Commenter 42
05-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Trade paperbacks organized in terms of story chronology, not publishing date, of Tales Volume 2.
IDW action figures.

Not sure how many of those qualify as collectibles, but I'd give my wisdom teeth sans anesthetic to get any one of those.

All good suggestions...I think I'll collect everything into the first post as we go, compile a greatest hits, then see what Santa can do about it.

oldmanwinters
05-25-2016, 11:23 PM
On my list...

Archie TMNTA Forever War arc

The fourth live-action movies of the 90s... cause we all would have owned it on VHS no matter how bad it might have been!

Mirage Comics Who's Who? encyclopedia

Vintage Pizza Face toy with the hidden second head

NECA Mirage style Shredder, Foot Soldiers, and whatever else they had planned

TMNT Tournament Fighters for Game Boy/Game Gear... cause Michelangelo needed his own cover variant and that cart might be pretty rare today!

Jagwar action figure for the 4Kids line

Wall posters for the vintage Konami video game cover artwork... especially Dooney's Manhattan Project cover

Errol McCarthy TMNT action figure sketchbook

ThunDerian
05-25-2016, 11:39 PM
- Complete set of Punk Frogs
- NECA Casey Jones

Commenter 42
05-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Very interesting. I guessed toys would dominate the collectibles "want" list, but no, I was wrong.

Wish I could edit the poll.

D Piddy 1982
05-26-2016, 06:49 AM
On my list...

NECA Mirage style Shredder, Foot Soldiers, and whatever else they had planned

I would choose this also...

d_osborn
05-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Let us never argue about stupid PDMT again. You clearly do have taste. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/fWY9EAL.png

Commenter 42
05-26-2016, 01:33 PM
- Complete set of Punk Frogs
- NECA Casey Jones

They didn't make all 4?

thundermaster612
05-26-2016, 01:53 PM

Yes, I would like that, but it wouldn't be as special if it came out today

thundermaster612
05-26-2016, 01:54 PM
They didn't make all 4?

They only released Napoleon and Ghengis

Commenter 42
05-26-2016, 02:39 PM
who would you want to produce them? Is it a completionist thing (more Playmates), or would you be hyped with Neca doing it?

Etsyturtle2
05-26-2016, 02:48 PM
They only released Napoleon and Ghengis

Napolean and atilla, actually.

Commenter 42
05-26-2016, 04:23 PM
So, nobody really gives a damn about Hot Toys?

For me, I'm a detail freak, in that, the idea of a perfect replica, only smaller, is an exciting idea.

I'm getting the vibe most of y'all aren't interested in those things.

Powder
05-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Nope, Hot Toys are not really popular in our crowd.

d_osborn
05-26-2016, 06:25 PM

For me, I'm a detail freak, in that, the idea of a perfect replica, only smaller, is an exciting idea.

I personally don't have any Hot Toys, but I've been kicking around getting one of the Keaton or Bale Batman HT figures. A 1990 movie Shredder would be an instant buy for me, as long as the quality and accuracy was up to par with their other releases.

I'm not a big modern action figure guy, but it seems like NECA is doing well with their TMNT 90 line-- almost Hot Toys quality, from what I can tell. The Prime1 statues are cool, but the accuracy/cost doesn't work for me. What I'm REALLY hoping NECA does is the multiple heads and hands that Hot Toys does. The Henson Turtles had some pretty cool expressions.

...but yeah, I want a big-ass, super accurate 1990 Shredder. Red (hot pink) sparkly suit, shiny silver and black zebra print cloak, the works. It's one of those things that sounds laughable in description, but 110% works.

miru
05-26-2016, 06:42 PM
1/1 Ninjara plushie

1/1 Alopex plushie

1/1 Mona Lisa plushie

1/1 Venus plushie

slashpieturtlemix
05-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Now that i think of it toys for all the archie characters lol especially the cow head

Commenter 42
05-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Nope, Hot Toys are not really popular in our crowd.

That's so strange to me. Is it price, or scale? I'm learning a lot.
BTW you haven't thrown down your #1. I'm very curious.

I personally don't have any Hot Toys, but I've been kicking around getting one of the Keaton or Bale Batman HT figures. A 1990 movie Shredder would be an instant buy for me, as long as the quality and accuracy was up to par with their other releases.

I'm not a big modern action figure guy, but it seems like NECA is doing well with their TMNT 90 line-- almost Hot Toys quality, from what I can tell. The Prime1 statues are cool, but the accuracy/cost doesn't work for me. What I'm REALLY hoping NECA does is the multiple heads and hands that Hot Toys does. The Henson Turtles had some pretty cool expressions.

...but yeah, I want a big-ass, super accurate 1990 Shredder. Red (hot pink) sparkly suit, shiny silver and black zebra print cloak, the works. It's one of those things that sounds laughable in description, but 110% works.

Neca seems to have gotten the expression, but based on their Reeve, I'm still VERY skeptical.

The Keaton HT Batman Returns is outstanding in person.
Prime 1 is outpacing HT, but spending 2grand for one would end in divorce.

Was the suit hot pink? :lol: thought it was a red/gold weave, but yeah, I can picture that. Wonder what the licensing issue is... or that license cost :D

1/1 Ninjara plushie

1/1 Alopex plushie

1/1 Mona Lisa plushie

1/1 Venus plushie

What would you pay for a 1/1 plushie?

Now that i think of it toys for all the archie characters lol especially the cow head

Right? I'm not a fan of his art, BUT, I'm surprised it wasn't considered.

Powder
05-26-2016, 08:37 PM
That's so strange to me. Is it price, or scale? I'm learning a lot.
BTW you haven't thrown down your #1. I'm very curious.

A little of both, but mainly because by & large we are action figure people. Hot Toys aren't exactly action figures, they've got the whole GI Joe/Doll kinda thing going on a bit with the real clothes & whatnot. A lot of us came up on toylines like TMNT & Toxic Avengers, where it was more about the funkyness of the colors, sculpt, & character design + the accessories full of personality than that real feel/look, I guess. I dunno. It's hard to articulate. I've just noticed most TMNT toy collectors tend to stick with smaller more "toy-like" toys.

I'm sure Henson Hot Toys would do well for that niche market, but most of us would prefer a 6 inch-ish figure, as evidenced by feedback about the NECA set coming out. Cheaper, lighter, easier to display/store, no easily weathered materials, better to scale with other lines, etc.

Hard to say what my #1 would be. Good Henson figures are on that list, maybe the top spot with respect to plastic memorabilia. Hopefully NECA will make my dream come true & do a separate set in 1/12 scale. Outside of that, a soundtrack release for the original cartoon's score has always been an immense want of mine. Toys accurate to that very same iteration are another longtime desire of us all, but Figurarts seems to be handling that now. 2016 has been a good year with respect to giving fans what they want, merch-wise.

In a perfect world, IDW would do a "Tales From The Turtleverse" comic where every issue was a new feature in a different version of the TMNT. A story based in Mirage here, Fred Wolf there, Nick, Bayverse, whatever. That'd be a collectible, technically.

d_osborn
05-26-2016, 08:48 PM
I have another to add to my list, as long as we're shooting for the moon here. A JW Rinzler-quality tome on the development, production, and marketing of the Barron movie.

...but mainly because by & large we are action figure people.
This is as action figure as you can get! :D

https://youtu.be/ud2eX3C8RYI

Was the suit hot pink? :lol: :D

I'm pretty sure it was red. That reminds me... a collector here was supposed to score a large swatch of the original Shredder suit material from the costume designer. If he got it, it would be super cool to see a color-accurate shot of it.

I had one of those storybooks with a bunch of movie stills when I was a kid. The printing wasn't that great and the suit looked hot pink. That image is burned into my brain.

Bry
05-26-2016, 08:50 PM
100% the unreleased Mirage NECA figures. The sculpts are finally being used for the arcade game figures, sure, but I'd still love to see the Mirage-style Shredder and Foot figures get an actual release. And past that, a Casey and a Splinter would be incredible. I've already got the Turtles and April, which I'm super happy with, but I've been irrationally craving more for 8 years now.

Beyond that...? I'd love to see the 2003 series designs get some love with premium format figures. I feel like it'll never happen, but that's the one concept I'd be guaranteed to buy at this point. I've got enough Fred Wolf stuff to last 17 lifetimes, and I own the definitive Mirage NECAs... other than a smaller/affordable scale 1990 movie run, the 2003 show is the main one I feel strongly enough about at this point.

ThunDerian
05-27-2016, 03:27 AM
Napolean and atilla, actually.

I meant the vintage Punk Frogs, not the Nickelodeon versions. So Napoleon Bonafrog and Genghis Frog is correct. Rasputin and Atilla were not produced.

imevilduckie
05-27-2016, 01:05 PM

I'm a big Hot Toys fan. I've got two: the 1989 Batman and Joker figures. They look awesome as display pieces.

My top request right now would be an official vinyl or CD release of the original score from the 1990 film. Some day. :)

miru
05-27-2016, 10:02 PM
What would you pay for a 1/1 plushie?

About 2,000 dollars at most.

Commenter 42
05-28-2016, 02:37 AM
About 2,000 dollars at most.

You're joking...

miru
06-03-2016, 06:18 PM
You're joking...

I could actually pay up to $10,000 if asked.

Commenter 42
06-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I could actually pay up to $10,000 if asked.

You'd pay 10,000 for a stuffed character?

Casey
06-04-2016, 03:33 PM
IDW action figures.

Pretty much.

Discogod
06-06-2016, 05:26 AM
You'd pay 10,000 for a stuffed character?

Never underestimate the spending power of furries...:lol:

hitmonkey
06-06-2016, 12:21 PM
I didn't realize how much I wanted 1/12 Archie Turtles figures until now.