PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 2 Box Office Predictions and Results

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Vicky82
05-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Please, Please guys try and keep it clean no arguing, going off topic ect.

As we are getting closer to release date, it be a good time to do this thread.

Predict how much you reckon TMNT 2 will make in the US and Global, do you think it will make more than the last movie. Do you think this movie will gross more than other movies, X-Men, Warcraft ect.

This thread will include how much TMNT makes at the cinema each day in the US. This will also include, Opening Weekend and Global.

sethmartin
05-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Please, Please guys try and keep it clean no arguing, going off topic ect.

As we are getting closer to release date, it be a good time to do this thread.

Predict how much you reckon TMNT 2 will make in the US and Global, do you think it will make more than the last movie. Do you think this movie will gross more than other movies, X-Men, Warcraft ect.

This thread will include how much TMNT makes at the cinema each day in the US. This will also include, Opening Weekend and Global.

It will at least gross as much as the last movie. Probably more. Sequels tend to gross more these days.

pdizzle
05-29-2016, 04:20 PM
If the first one grossed almost 500 million then this one should hit between 675 and 750. With that being said I know nothing about these kinds of things and I'm just shooting sh*t to the wind, but that's my prediction and I'll stand by it...

TigerClaw
05-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling the 2nd one will make way more money then the first, considering the characters that are in this, it will appeal to a much wider audience, the ones that grew up with the 80s cartoon.

DioLeo451
05-29-2016, 04:52 PM
It'll probably make $600 million it's first weekend then go up from there

Vicky82
05-29-2016, 04:56 PM

I doubt it, maybe it will when it's released in Australia, China, Japan, Germany as they all get the movie a few weeks later.

sethmartin
05-29-2016, 04:57 PM

600M opening weekend???? Ha! Force Awakens didn't even hit 250 it's opening weekend

Vicky82
05-29-2016, 04:58 PM
600M opening weekend???? Ha! Force Awakens didn't even hit 250 it's opening weekend

Think he's talking about global not American box office.

TigerClaw
05-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Yeah, they count the Worldwide Box Office for total gross of the movie, not just how they do domestically.

Shark_Blade
05-29-2016, 05:55 PM
I predict it will be the very best, like no TMNT movie ever was.

But I'm not concern much about BO, it's the good story that matters.

Sanjuro
05-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Domestic opening weekend? I'm guessing it pulls $40-45M.

NinjaPug
05-29-2016, 06:14 PM
$600 million opening weekend? Hilarious.

The first didn't even make $500 million during its entire run. For those saying sequels perform better need to look at the last 2 weeks at the box office: Alice 2, Apocalypse and Neighbors 2 all much lower than their previous movie.

TrickOrTreater
05-29-2016, 06:16 PM
$600 million opening weekend? Hilarious.

The first didn't even make $500 million during its entire run. For those saying sequels perform better need to look at the last 2 weeks at the box office: Alice 2, Apocalypse and Neighbors 2 all much lower than their previous movie.

I can only hope that the first BayTurtles was enough to blow the nostalgia goggles off people's faces for a new Ninja Turtles movie and this one severely underperforms.

Because it's going to be bad. Probably REALLY bad.

Bry
05-29-2016, 06:30 PM
It's actually really hard to say. The last movie did well, but it also didn't have a ton of competition -- GotG opened the week before, but other than that there wasn't much direct competition at all. Keep in mind that both movies did surprisingly well for August. GotG moreso, of course, but August as a rule is much less packed with blockbusters than May, June, or July. They both had a lot more room to breathe and grow an audience than the mid-summer blockbusters.

It's potentially true we're already seeing that in play -- X-Men: Apocalypse and Alice 2 both performed lower than expected. And it's possible that's partially due to bad reviews, but the fact that two major releases came out the same time could have negatively impacted both of their box office potentials. It's a crowded release schedule. And Warcraft just opened internationally and is #1 in 11 markets, and follows in North America in two weeks. Whether or not all of this makes an impact or not...? I'm not even gonna try to predict that one.

DioLeo451
05-29-2016, 06:48 PM
I was referring to global just a heads up in case some are mislead

NinjaPug
05-29-2016, 06:49 PM
I was referring to global just a heads up in case some are mislead

I knew what you were referring to. No chance of happening.

DioLeo451
05-29-2016, 06:56 PM
I knew what you were referring to. No chance of happening.
Just a prediction not a guaranteed fact

NinjaPug
05-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Just a prediction not a guaranteed fact

I just thought it was a weird prediction seeing as how it would break the all-time global opening weekend record by over $70 million.

ToTheNines
05-29-2016, 07:03 PM
It's an absolutely improbable prediction.

The Deadman
05-29-2016, 07:26 PM
It's actually really hard to say. The last movie did well, but it also didn't have a ton of competition -- GotG opened the week before, but other than that there wasn't much direct competition at all. Keep in mind that both movies did surprisingly well for August. GotG moreso, of course, but August as a rule is much less packed with blockbusters than May, June, or July. They both had a lot more room to breathe and grow an audience than the mid-summer blockbusters.

It's potentially true we're already seeing that in play -- X-Men: Apocalypse and Alice 2 both performed lower than expected. And it's possible that's partially due to bad reviews, but the fact that two major releases came out the same time could have negatively impacted both of their box office potentials. It's a crowded release schedule. And Warcraft just opened internationally and is #1 in 11 markets, and follows in North America in two weeks. Whether or not all of this makes an impact or not...? I'm not even gonna try to predict that one.

The Conjuring 2 and Finding Dory are also this month as well, if TMNT is able to outperform Conjuring I don't give it a chance against the juggernaut that is Disney

Cure
05-29-2016, 07:29 PM
$80 million opening weekend.

TrickOrTreater
05-29-2016, 07:40 PM
The Conjuring 2 and Finding Dory are also this month as well, if TMNT is able to outperform Conjuring I don't give it a chance against the juggernaut that is Disney

Man I wish it was coming out the same weekend.

Technogeek29
05-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Man I wish it was coming out the same weekend.

Now it makes sense, They knew OOTS couldn't compete with those two movies so they had several early showings to get positive feed back from people and as much early cash as they could before the other movies just kicked it to the bottom.

TrickOrTreater
05-30-2016, 01:35 AM
Now it makes sense, They knew OOTS couldn't compete with those two movies so they had several early showings to get positive feed back from people and as much early cash as they could before the other movies just kicked it to the bottom.

Sound theory.

I hope it backfires on them SPECTACULARLY.

biganimefan
05-30-2016, 03:51 PM
Unlike the vocal minority on these forums, I did enjoy the first one(which I had very low expectations for when I went to see it) and this one I easily see enjoying too but I think it's impossible that it'll rival X-Men Apocalypse in terms of box office gross. I think we could see it break $500 million globally but much more than that I kinda doubt. And about $150-200 million in the US

Vicky82
06-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Box office tracker for Monday and Tuesday in the UK

Rentrak UK & Ireland ‏@Rentrak_UK 3h
MONDAY:
1-WARCRAFT: THE BEGINNING
2-ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS
3-X-MEN: APOCALYPSE
4-TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2
5-ANGRY BIRDS

https://twitter.com/Rentrak_UK/status/737988200455667712

Rentrak UK & Ireland ‏@Rentrak_UK 3h
TUESDAY:
1-ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS
2-X-MEN: APOCALYPSE
3-ANGRY BIRDS
4-TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2
5-WARCRAFT: THE BEGINNING

https://twitter.com/Rentrak_UK/status/737988607881973760

Also

http://www.screendaily.com/news/x-men-beats-alice-to-top-uk-box-office/5104430.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

PARAMOUNT

Like Warcraft, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows opened yesterday to take advantage of the school holidays.

Paramount’s sequel sliced to a non-final $1.05m (£720,000) from its 448 sites and, like Warcraft, won’t officially appear in the chart until next week.

Vicky82
06-01-2016, 10:21 AM
So in other words, in it's first test worldwide, it flopped.

Nope it hasn't flopped yet, that's only the 1st 2 days in the UK. The UK box office gross is a lot less than the US. We won't know the final result until next week

ranger_scout
06-01-2016, 10:29 AM
The Wrap said that right now the film's opening weekend is tracking for an opening between $37 million to $40 million. We'll see about that because the first film made a lot more than predicted in its opening weekend. The source say that Finding Dory will take away its family-friendly audiences in a coupe of weeks. Paramount is making sure that the film will be a hit internationally by opening in 40 markets this weekend.

http://www.thewrap.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-sequel-to-top-box-office-but-faces-troubled-waters-ahead/

NinjaPug
06-01-2016, 10:58 AM
The Wrap said that right now the film's opening weekend is tracking for an opening between $37 million to $40 million. We'll see about that because the first film made a lot more than predicted in its opening weekend. The source say that Finding Dory will take away its family-friendly audiences in a coupe of weeks. Paramount is making sure that the film will be a hit internationally by opening in 40 markets this weekend.

http://www.thewrap.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-sequel-to-top-box-office-but-faces-troubled-waters-ahead/

Damn....$25 million less than the first one if those projections prove to be accurate. Movie is also struggling in the UK. If it's like that in the rest of the international markets then this could be the end of Platinum Dunes TMNT.

ranger_scout
06-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Damn....$25 million less than the first one if those projections prove to be accurate. Movie is also struggling in the UK. If it's like that in the rest of the international markets then this could be the end of Platinum Dunes TMNT.

MovieWeb is more optimistic. They are predicting a $61.3 million opening weekend. They also think there is a chance that it could be much bigger. However, this article may have been before the Warp starting tracking it.

http://movieweb.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-box-office-predictions/

As I mentioned earlier, we'll just have to wait and see because it wasn't until the day before the last film was released that we read it was likely to outperform expectations of box office analysts.

Vicky82
06-01-2016, 11:06 AM

I wouldn't say the movie is struggling in the UK. movies coming out on a Monday is very unusual here, they only did it because it's half term so it's spread out more. It will probably pick up at the weekend. As I said in a previous post, we won't know the final result until next week.

NinjaPug
06-01-2016, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't say the movie is struggling in the UK. movies coming out on a Monday is very unusual here, they only did it because it's half term so it's spread out more. It will probably pick up at the weekend. As I said in a previous post, we won't know the final result until next week.

Being #4 at the box office in its first two days doesn't seem like it's doing good to me. I wouldn't blame that on it being released on a Monday when people are choosing other options over it. I don't know the UK box office though so I could be wrong.

Bry
06-01-2016, 11:21 AM
If it's like that in the rest of the international markets then this could be the end of Platinum Dunes TMNT.

Don't tease me with something so beautiful. I don't want to get my hopes up. :tlol:

Vicky82
06-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Being #4 at the box office in its first two days doesn't seem like it's doing good to me. I wouldn't blame that on it being released on a Monday when people are choosing other options over it. I don't know the UK box office though so I could be wrong.

I guess most people would be seeing the movie at the weekend anyway due to being at work, on holiday ect.

One other thing is that it's been in less screen times than other movies but from Friday it has more 2D times and has 3D and 4DX times as well and it's out in IMAX as well

Andrew NDB
06-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Wait, they're actually calling the Warcraft movie, "The Beginning"? How pretentious... and misleading when it ends up failing.

ranger_scout
06-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Two years ago on the Wednesday before the first film was released, The Wrap actually said the movie was tracking for a $45 to to $50 million opening. Their estimates were off by $15 to $20 million,

http://www.thewrap.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-may-shell-shock-guardians-of-galaxy-at-box-office/

On that same day, Variety was predicting a $40 million opening. They were off by $25.6 million.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-battles-guardians-for-top-spot-in-mid-40-millions-1201276883/

Even the Los Angeles Times was off by $15.6 million when they predicted a $50 million opening.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-projector-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-guardians-20140807-story.html

I think by tomorrow or Friday, we should have an idea about what kind of opening Out of the Shadows will really be heading for.

TrickOrTreater
06-01-2016, 12:58 PM
So in other words, in it's first test worldwide, it flopped.

Looks like.

:lol:

NinjaPug
06-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Deadline is projecting $30 - $35 million for its domestic opening weekend.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-of-the-shadows-me-before-you-pop-star-box-office-preview-1201765435/

Why haven't any of the bigger outlets reviewed this yet?

TrickOrTreater
06-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Deadline is projecting $30 - $35 million for its domestic opening weekend.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-of-the-shadows-me-before-you-pop-star-box-office-preview-1201765435/

Why haven't any of the bigger outlets reviewed this yet?

Review Embargo probably.

And oh god I hope that number is accurate or even in the ballpark.

That would put it very close to flop territory.

For perspective, Fant4stic, one of the biggest flops of 2015, only made 25 million opening weekend. With 5 theaters less than BayTurtles 2 is said to have.

Vicky82
06-01-2016, 01:30 PM
In 2014 TMNT did £4M in it's first weekend, if TMNT 2 does less than that this week, it will be considered a flop or bomb or whatever.

Galactus
06-01-2016, 01:46 PM
In 2014 TMNT did £4M in it's first weekend, if TMNT 2 does less than that this week, it will be considered a flop or bomb or whatever.

Oh I'm sure there will be no end of defenders to say anything to say that it isn't but it's going to be an interesting one that's for sure.

Bry
06-01-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm not counting on anything, because the last movie did better than expected and these forecasts are not always accurate... but if this does underperform, my hope is that they get the message that relentlessly milking Fred Wolf nostalgia isn't enough to build a franchise.

It's diminishing returns. IIRC, the much-hyped Fred Wolf crossover episode of the Nick show didn't bring much of a ratings boost, and if this movie does less than the last one, hopefully someone will get the hint that they could and should dig a little deeper if they want to keep the property going strong.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-01-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm not counting on anything, because the last movie did better than expected and these forecasts are not always accurate... but if this does underperform, my hope is that they get the message that relentlessly milking Fred Wolf nostalgia isn't enough to build a franchise.

It's diminishing returns. IIRC, the much-hyped Fred Wolf crossover episode of the Nick show didn't bring much of a ratings boost, and if this movie does less than the last one, hopefully someone will get the hint that they could and should dig a little deeper if they want to keep the property going strong.

At this point I don't even give a damn if they keep milking Fred Wolf or not.

Just make a good movie that's competently written without all this stupid bullsh!t, five-ton seven-foot monster Turtles, no backstory...

I CANNOT BELIEVE how many of you people are okay or even applaud this crap. :flaming:

Vicky82
06-01-2016, 02:27 PM
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-box-office-popstar-1201786708/

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” should unseat “X-Men: Apocalypse” from the top spot on the box office charts this weekend when it debuts to roughly $37 million.

However, the film is the latest sequel to struggle to match the performance of its predecessor. The return of the pizza-munching, martial arts-wielding reptiles is on pace to open to just half of what 2014’s “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” made during its first weekend in theaters.

Hollywood is fond of the franchise business, believing that sequels are easier to market and carry less risk than original productions. But go back to the trough too many times, and a studio can risk audience fatigue. This summer has been particularly brutal for follow-ups. “Alice Through the Looking Glass” flopped, “Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising” stumbled, and even the latest “X-Men” fell about 30% short of “Days of Future Past’s” monster opening.

Some analysts think that audiences will continue to cool to this year’s crop of sequels. If true, that would be bad news for the likes of “Star Trek: Beyond,” “Independence Day: Resurgence,” and “Jason Bourne,” all of which are slated to hit theaters over the next three months. “Sequels can work only if they meet or best the standards of the original,” said Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “Many of these films are too interested in repeating the past. After a while, audiences may say, ‘Why bother?'”

“Out of the Shadows” cost $135 million to produce and brings back original stars Megan Fox and Will Arnett, along with series newcomers Laura Linney, looking a long way from “Mystic River,” and “Arrow” favorite Stephen Amell. Paramount believes that the film could prove more durable domestically than the first “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” because it is tracking less like an action film and more like a family adventure. Moviegoers with kids don’t always rush out for opening weekend, the theory goes.

The studio is also banking on overseas business to help lift grosses. “Out of the Shadows” bows in 40 foreign territories this weekend, including such major markets as the United Kingdom, Mexico, and Russia. It’s expected to bow to more than $30 million. The big question will be if “Out of the Shadows” can match the first film’s $62.1 million Chinese gross when it debuts in the People’s Republic on July 2. Paramount has partnered with Alibaba Pictures and Dalian Wanda Group, two local alliances that could help the new “Ninja Turtles” installment attract crowds in the world’s second-largest film market.

In its second weekend, “X-Men: Apocalypse” should pull in more than $25 million, enough to hold off a flurry of new releases. Among the fresh entrants, Warner Bros. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer will try to attract female audiences with “Me Before You,” a romantic drama about a caregiver (Emilia Clarke of “Game of Thrones” fame) who falls in love with a wealthy paralyzed man (Sam Claflin from “Hunger Games”). The adaptation of the best-selling novel cost just more than $20 million to produce and will debut in roughly 2,600 locations. It is eyeing a $14 million launch.

That leaves Universal’s “Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping,” looking like the weekend’s big whiff. The comedy from Andy Samberg’s rock parody group, the Lonely Island, will be lucky to eke out $6 million this weekend — an anemic result for a film with a $21 million price tag

neatoman
06-01-2016, 02:36 PM
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-box-office-popstar-1201786708/

So I'm guessing that making a movie more like the Fred Wolf cartoon wasn't such a smart move after all, reminds me of how Trans-Dimensional Turtles didn't boost the ratings like they thought.

Once again it makes me wonder if the nostalgia for the Fred Wolf cartoon has died.

ranger_scout
06-01-2016, 03:16 PM

So I'm guessing that making a movie more like the Fred Wolf cartoon wasn't such a smart move after all, reminds me of how Trans-Dimensional Turtles didn't boost the ratings like they thought.

Once again it makes me wonder if the nostalgia for the Fred Wolf cartoon has died.

I'm glad that they are paying tribute to the Fred Wolf cartoon. The franchise would be nowhere today if it wasn't for that series. I haven't seen the film yet, but I am hoping for the best. If the last film can outperform expectations and tracking numbers, then maybe this one can too.

Vicky82
06-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Pro Box Office predicts it's going to do $27M at opening weekend.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-shadows-popstar-never-stop-never-stopping/

TrickOrTreater
06-01-2016, 04:29 PM

http://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-shadows-popstar-never-stop-never-stopping/

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiii*t.

That's bad.

TigerClaw
06-01-2016, 04:30 PM

It's gonna make way more then that, they predicted low numbers with the 1st one too, and it made more then they predicted.

NinjaPug
06-01-2016, 05:13 PM
It's gonna make way more then that, they predicted low numbers with the 1st one too, and it made more then they predicted.

People also predicted higher box offices for Apocalypse and Alice 2 last weekend. It goes both ways.

turtlefanforever
06-01-2016, 05:33 PM

But that was 100% pure nostalgia. People recognized the name and were like "oh i gotta see that s--t"

Now people know what they are bringing to the table after the steaming pile of crap they released in 2014. Given it would be near impossible to make a film worse than that one this movie will still be horrendous.

ranger_scout
06-01-2016, 05:53 PM
Hollywood Reporter says that Paramount is sticking with predictions of an opening between $35 million to $40 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-teenage-mutant-898839

TrickOrTreater
06-01-2016, 05:57 PM
Oh I cannot wait until Sunday.

The Lord's Day.

Day of Happiness and Rest and Peace and JUSTICE above all else.

Foombamaroom
06-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Oh I cannot wait until Sunday.

The Lord's Day.

Day of Happiness and Rest and Peace and JUSTICE above all else.

Amen.

The first movie made $400m. That's good for a superhero movie-- If it's released in 2006.

This is 2016. Civil War has made a billion dollars. Force Awakens (2015, I know.) made TWO BILLION DOLLARS.

And Ant-Man, a movie about a character that no one knows, made HALF A BILLION.

The TMNT name should be able to rake in 700k, but it making any less than 500k just proves that these producers are doing something wrong, and the audience doesn't want to waste money on it.

Let's hope this thing bombs like Fan4stic.

TrickOrTreater
06-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Amen.

The first movie made $400m. That's good for a superhero movie-- If it's released in 2006.

This is 2016. Civil War has made a billion dollars. Force Awakens (2015, I know.) made TWO BILLION DOLLARS.

And Ant-Man, a movie about a character that no one knows, made HALF A BILLION.

The TMNT name should be able to rake in 700k, but it making any less than 500k just proves that these producers are doing something wrong, and the audience doesn't want to waste money on it.

Let's hope this thing bombs like Fan4stic.

And Fantfourstic made 25 million opening weekend.

If this piece of garbage is anywhere even CLOSE to that, it'll be considered a bomb.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-01-2016, 06:38 PM
And Fantfourstic made 25 million opening weekend.

If this piece of garbage is anywhere even CLOSE to that, it'll be considered a bomb.

Gleefully anticipating. Burn, baby, burn.

Bry
06-01-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm glad that they are paying tribute to the Fred Wolf cartoon. The franchise would be nowhere today if it wasn't for that series.

I don't think anyone's disputing that, but the issue I and others have is that it gets paid tribute to constantly. Like, at times almost exclusively. Any products, merchandise, apparel, etc (outside of the currently-running Nick show) is pretty much 100% Fred Wolf, and every iteration running is crammed full of FW references. It's everywhere, all the time, and several other notable iterations always get snubbed or forgotten because of it. The property has a long history with a ton of worthy additions throughout, but all of that potential is ignored.

And especially when it comes to movies, that constant Fred Wolf influence shows its weakness. Because while I have plenty of nostalgia for it, and for the elements it introduced, it really is a cartoon. And I mean a cartoon -- it's got plenty of charm, but it doesn't have much in the way of compelling stories or genuine emotion or deep characters. And that's by design; it was a goofy comedy that winked at the audience about how silly it was. But following that lead exclusively doesn't translate to feature films particularly well. It doesn't help an audience invest in the characters and their world if everything's thinly-developed and every character is as one-note and basic as can be. There's a reason that the 1990 movie used some personality aspects from the cartoon but otherwise took its plot wholesale from the Mirage comics, and that's because the comics told a proper story and the cartoon... really didn't. (Aside from maybe season one.)

And that's what's missing here. An actual, genuine story. Movies need them. And for this property, to make that work, what they need to do is look deeper than surface-level cartoon nostalgia alone.

Leolead
06-01-2016, 10:18 PM

Ohhhh. TMNT reboot in 2020/2020, hopefully.

TurtleTitan97
06-01-2016, 10:19 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Man, that's pathetic.

TigerClaw
06-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Its gonna be way more then that, these people are always underestimating these movies.

Leolead
06-01-2016, 10:38 PM
Its gonna be way more then that, these people are always underestimating these movies.
"These movies"? If you mean Comic book movies, then no. They overestimated both XMA & CW opening weekend. If anything, it might even be lower than that.

NinjaPug
06-02-2016, 06:55 AM
"These movies"? If you mean Comic book movies, then no. They overestimated both XMA & CW opening weekend. If anything, it might even be lower than that.

There's no use trying to throw common sense or facts at him.

I do think the box office will be slightly higher than what they're projecting though. I'm going to guess $48 million for opening weekend.

chrisdude
06-02-2016, 08:19 AM
The good thing is, according to box office mojo, the budget for this film is only $10mil more than the last.

I can't imagine them opening lower than the last film, though. I seriously doubt that. The first movie got bad reviews, but I don't think it disappointed viewers, at large. And viewer response to the first film is the biggest factor for a sequel's success, in my observation. And in this case, it's lukewarm. Plus, they've doubled down on the fan service, this time around. My prediction, with all observation and no data or research, is that they'll open right around what the last film did.

Bry
06-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Well, I believe the last movie got a B CinemaScore... which sounds halfway decent, except I believe any score below an A-/B+ is considered pretty poor by that scale's standards. My understanding is that the vast majority of movies score above a B+.

All of the online audience/user reviews are also pretty tepid at best. I get the impression the last one was a pretty mixed bag on the whole. It definitely wasn't a smash hit with the general audience.

NinjaPug
06-02-2016, 09:08 AM
You're right. A Cinemascore of B isn't considered good.

ranger_scout
06-02-2016, 10:07 AM
USA Today wrote that even though it is likely to open lower than its predecessor, they have this quote from comScore senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian:

"Ninja Turtles remains a viable and revenue-generating brand."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/06/02/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-of-the-shadows-set-visit/85245294/

Vicky82
06-02-2016, 10:40 AM
This website predicts it's going to do $50M at opening weekend.

http://reallifestl.com/2016/06/me-before-you-tmnt-popstar/

chrisdude
06-02-2016, 11:26 AM
These predictions vary way too much for them to matter.

Foombamaroom
06-02-2016, 11:30 AM
I doubt this thing is making $50 million opening weekend. The general public audience doesn't really care for it.

Andrew NDB
06-02-2016, 11:59 AM
I doubt this thing is making $50 million opening weekend.

It might. But even then it'll be a 50-60% crash the weekend after.

CyberCubed
06-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Regardless it'll probably do decent enough that they'll squeeze a third movie out of this universe before they call it quits.

Maybe after they can let the movie franchise rest or do another reboot.

Sabacooza
06-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Dumb thought but what if they still get it wrong when they reboot it?

CyberCubed
06-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Dumb thought but what if they still get it wrong when they reboot it?

Wouldn't it be a whole new set of directors/writers though? Either way it can't be as bad as this.

Vicky82
06-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't it be a whole new set of directors/writers though? Either way it can't be as bad as this.

It depends on who they are though, If they have a reboot, they probably bring in the director who did the Fantastic flop movie.

AquaParade
06-02-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm wondering what the conditions are regarding Platinum Dunes leaving or dropping the license.

Andrew NDB
06-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Wouldn't matter if Nick/Viacom is still having them as hired guns toe the company line: "COWABUUNGA!!! BEBOP AND PIZZA YOO!!!"

https://img0.etsystatic.com/027/0/7855603/il_570xN.514571980_g2v7.jpg

ranger_scout
06-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Entertainment Weekly predicts a $30 million opening.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/02/box-office-predictions-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2

However, two years ago, they predicated a $40 million opening for the first film. Their estimates were off by $25.6 million and thought it would debut at #2 behind Guardians of the Galaxy.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/08/07/box-office-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Wouldn't matter if Nick/Viacom is still having them as hired guns toe the company line: "COWABUUNGA!!! BEBOP AND PIZZA YOO!!!"

https://img0.etsystatic.com/027/0/7855603/il_570xN.514571980_g2v7.jpg

As much as you seem to despise any iteration of TMNT that isn't Mirage/Image, even you have to admit that basing movies off Nick, 4Kids, or IDW versions of TMNT would be a vast improvement if executed with any amount of skill (or even mediocrity). :tsmile:

JTH
06-02-2016, 07:12 PM
I don't see any way it makes what the first did.

The first was not viewed by the general public as a good movie, so you're not bringing back that entire percentage of audience back, unless there are the die hard goofs that see this thing dare I say 5-6-7 times.

You have to get that first movie right by audience standards, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Hell, even the 1st Transformers was...okay, fans came back in droves.

I'm gonna say it makes 45 mil opening week, which sounds big compared to what the websites are saying...but bare in mind that would still be less than what Angry Birds made O.W.. Which I would say is not a good feather in the cap for a movie with twice the budget.

Overall domestic I'll say 140-145 mil. Not terrible, but will by no means be a hit.

TurtlePower85
06-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Saw it and loved it, and hated the first one.

ranger_scout
06-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Box Office Mojo predicts an opening of $34.2 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4192&p=.htm

Andrew NDB
06-02-2016, 09:52 PM
As much as you seem to despise any iteration of TMNT that isn't Mirage/Image, even you have to admit that basing movies off Nick, 4Kids, or IDW versions of TMNT would be a vast improvement if executed with any amount of skill (or even mediocrity). :tsmile:

I've always said the IDW material... at least in large parts... would make for an excellent film series. The possibilities with flashbacks of their past lives in Japan could create an amazing dichotomy. But it would need to have teeth.

TrickOrTreater
06-02-2016, 10:37 PM

Bombs away.

Leolead
06-02-2016, 11:08 PM

Leo's face in your avatar is the perfect reaction to that prediction.

Bry
06-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Thursday preview numbers are in (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4192&p=.htm):

Friday AM Update: Thursday night preshow results are in and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows lead the way with a soft $2 million compared to the $4.6 million the first Turtles feature brought in from preview screenings in August 2014. A good comparison would be 2014's Hercules, which brought in $2.1 million before opening with $29.8 million. Another would be Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials which brought in $1.7 million on Thursday night before delivering a $30.3 million opening last September.

Etsyturtle2
06-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Thursday preview numbers are in (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4192&p=.htm):

No no no no no no no no no.

Candy Kappa
06-03-2016, 08:56 AM
The numbers will go up when word of mouth reaches out that it's not as bad as the first one.

TigerClaw
06-03-2016, 08:59 AM
The numbers will go up when word of mouth reaches out that it's not as bad as the first one.
There's plenty of word of mouth on twitter, a lot of people love it, some even are going as far as posting cellphone videos of the movie playing on the screen.

chrisdude
06-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Welp. Pack it up, folks. Nothing to see here.

NinjaPug
06-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Less than half of 2014's Thursday box office despite having earlier shows. Unless another territory (I'm looking at you China) generates a big return I think we can stick a fork in "TMNT" as presented by Platinum Dunes.

Bry
06-03-2016, 09:08 AM

Glowing recommendations can turn it all around.

"Not 100% garbage. Just, like... 88% garbage." :twink:

Candy Kappa
06-03-2016, 09:11 AM
"I sure found a piece of sweet corn in this turd." :lol:

vicsavage
06-03-2016, 09:17 AM
"It's like eating broken glass, but at least it's not bloody syringes!"

ranger_scout
06-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Deadline and Variety say that the money made from preview showings is solid.

Still, $2M isn’t too shabby in a marketplace where sequels have taken a beating at the B.O. this year.

Paramount’s “Ninja Turtles” sequel opened with a solid $2 million during Thursday night preview screenings at about 3,000 U.S. sites, while the Warner Bros. romantic drama “Me Before You” took in $1.4 million. Universal’s Andy Samberg comedy “Popstar” launched quietly with $322,000 on Thursday.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-box-office-me-before-you-thursday-1201787962/

neatoman
06-03-2016, 09:34 AM
The showing I went to had sold eight tickets ten minutes from the starting point, so I didn't bother buying a ticket for another movie in order to sneak in, felt really pointless to do that if so few tickets were sold anyway.

Granted, it was early in the day but it's opening day and the theater has a little over five hundred seats. :ohwell:. Other theaters in the Stockholm area also seem to be rather empty from what I can see online.

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Just a thought but didn't the 2014 movie came out during the US school holidays (I think), that's probably why it did less on the Thursday opening than the last movie.

pdizzle
06-03-2016, 12:26 PM
The theaters where am at are starting to sell out. I have a group of 23 trying to get tickets for tonight and one only had 8 and 11 left for the 7 and 9 showings, another only had 3 and 12 and the last one I checked only had 9 and 5 left. Very frustrating but a rather good sign. I did find one that we can see tonight but it's an 11:50 showing. Oh well...11:50 it is :trazz:

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
06-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Just a thought but didn't the 2014 movie came out during the US school holidays (I think), that's probably why it did less on the Thursday opening than the last movie.

The last TMNT movie was released during august.

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 12:33 PM
The last TMNT movie was released during august.

Yeah I know but was it during the American school holidays.

TigerClaw
06-03-2016, 01:12 PM
From Box Office Mojo.

Thursday night preshow results are in and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows lead the way with a soft $2 million compared to the $4.6 million the first Turtles feature brought in from preview screenings in August 2014. A good comparison would be 2014's Hercules, which brought in $2.1 million before opening with $29.8 million. Another would be Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials which brought in $1.7 million on Thursday night before delivering a $30.3 million opening last September.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
06-03-2016, 01:21 PM
The vast majority of schools in the US are on summer break after today.

Interestingly, I've been looking at the capacity for various theaters around my area at peak movie time today (around 7 PM) and the 3-D showing are pretty empty. The only ones that have a decent turnout at the standard ones.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
06-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Yeah I know but was it during the American school holidays.

For the ones that were in public school and high school, yes.

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 01:55 PM
For the ones that were in public school and high school, yes.

Ok thanks, then that's probably why 2014 movie made more money than this movie.

TrickOrTreater
06-03-2016, 03:05 PM
If this movie bombs it will be the best Summerween present I could ever ask for.

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 03:10 PM
If this movie bombs it will be the best Summerween present I could ever ask for.

Ok what if it bombs in the US but does well worldwide, will you still be celebrating :P

TrickOrTreater
06-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Ok what if it bombs in the US but does well worldwide, will you still be celebrating :P

I doubt that'll happen but YEP!

Happy as a clam!

Foombamaroom
06-03-2016, 03:25 PM
2 million on Thursday night?

BURN.

BUUUUUUURN.

Andrew NDB
06-03-2016, 03:37 PM
2 million on Thursday night?

BURN.

BUUUUUUURN.

JjIXwkX1e48

ranger_scout
06-03-2016, 03:37 PM
My hope is that this film will end up being like the 2014 film, Edge of Tomorrow, which didn't open very strong, but actually became a sleeper hit and went on to gross $100 million in North America. There are even plans for that movie to have a sequel.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/tom-cruise-the-edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-joe-shrapnel-anna-w-1201733530/

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Tomorrow we will find out how much it does today.

Take note that the 2014 movie did $25.7M on Friday.

Andrew NDB
06-03-2016, 03:46 PM
My hope is that this film will end up being like the 2014 film, Edge of Tomorrow, which didn't open very strong, but actually became a sleeper hit and went on to gross $100 million in North America. There are even plans for that movie to have a sequel.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/tom-cruise-the-edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-joe-shrapnel-anna-w-1201733530/

To even speak the name of that movie in the same breath as the last Turtle "film"... deplorable. Edge of Tomorrow earned its sequel.

Tomorrow we will find out how much it does today.

That's... generally the way that works.

plastroncafe
06-03-2016, 03:50 PM

Summerween!!!
http://www.appsgalery.com/pictures/000/131/-ravity--alls--ystery--ttack-131696.png

TrickOrTreater
06-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Summerween!!!
http://www.appsgalery.com/pictures/000/131/-ravity--alls--ystery--ttack-131696.png

On its way!

http://i.imgur.com/rAYKlU9.jpg?1

Bry
06-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Update from Deadline (http://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/):

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is on course per industry projections to make $11M today, with an opening between $28M-$30M, but rival distribution czars aren’t impressed by nor envious of this Paramount release’s weekend. In regards to a sequel’s opening vs. its predecessor’s, TMNT2 isn’t seeing the biggest drop from part 1, with its opening off by 54%-57% from the 2014 title. The goat horns for the worst sequel debut this year, of course, land upon the hat of Disney’s Alice Through the Looking Glass. Last weekend the James Bobin-directed movie opened 77% below its 2010 first chapter’s $116M debut. TMNT2 will have the added benefit of 331 Imax locations and 3D showtimes. The first TMNT reboot drew an over-25 crowd of 55%, roping in all the Gen X and Y fans of the comic books and New Line series. The sequel is earning slightly better reviews at 36% rotten than the first at 22%; the critics were no threat to its B.O. longevity two years ago. Nor were CinemaScore audiences, who gave TMNT a B grade

ToTheNines
06-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Party at my house if it flops. Everyone's invited!

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Everyone!!!!!! Can you buy me a plane ticket then, it will cost you £400 - £500. :lol:

NinjaPug
06-03-2016, 04:36 PM
$11 million Friday? Yep, this franchise is done. Don't ruin this China.

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Even if it bombs, I bet there still be a 3rd movie. But they have to dump Megan Fox for someone cheaper.

Andrew NDB
06-03-2016, 04:47 PM

I'm buying. Shots!

XNtTEibFvlQ

Bry
06-03-2016, 04:52 PM
$11 million Friday? Yep, this franchise is done. Don't ruin this China.

After their first movie was critically mauled, and if their attempt to "course correct" flops, I'd hope that would ring the reboot bell regardless. Even if it blows up in China, they can't only make these movies for that market. If it performs domestically like these projections suggest, that's a failure. Even if it makes a profit internationally, these domestic numbers and that drop percentage won't be ignored.

Even if it bombs, I bet there still be a 3rd movie. But they have to dump Megan Fox for someone cheaper.

Wait... you're telling me Megan Fox is expensive!? :teek:

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Well I assumed she is.

Andrew NDB
06-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Well I assumed she is.

She can't be. She hasn't been tasked with carrying a movie since Jennifer's Body, and that was a flop that pretty much killed Diablo Cody's serious writing career. What did Megan Fox follow that up with as the female lead? Jonah Hex, an embarrassingly enormous flop. And that was 6 years ago. She's "bargain basement hot chick" in Hollywood right now.

Though I personally don't mind her acting at all. Kind of like a young Jennifer Connelly or an American Elizabeth Hurley, but without being given typically as meaty of material as them.

Leolead
06-03-2016, 07:08 PM
If this thing bombs, what happens next? Hopefully a TMNT movie reboot inspired by the version in my avatar.

Powder
06-03-2016, 07:23 PM
They should have just made Pixar quality movies of the Nick series like they do with their other properties.

nellyp
06-03-2016, 09:01 PM
We went to the cheap theatre in town and the theatre probably only had 25 ppl in it for the 6:40 pm showing which was pretty low but the theatre isn't as popular. Usually the late night show draws bigger but we had our 2 kids with us so we had to be home at a decent hour.

We treated a friend and his son as well so it was 6 of us and after concessions it was about $120 trip to the movies but it was fun and it was an early birthday gift for our youngest son who turns 4 on Monday.

The kids all thought it was really awesome and our oldest was saying he wanted to stay all night and watch it again which we quickly shot down of course. They are already looking forward to buying it on bluray even though they have no money. :P

Andrew NDB
06-03-2016, 09:13 PM
If this thing bombs, what happens next? Hopefully a TMNT movie reboot inspired by the version in my avatar.

Whatever happens, TMNT will sit in a vacuum as a movie franchise for about a decade until they decide what to do.

Which is fine. It's kind like the old expression, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Well, "If you can't make a non-sh*t TMNT movie, don't make one at all." IMHO.

Bry
06-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Whatever happens, TMNT will sit in a vacuum as a movie franchise for about a decade until they decide what to do.

Ehh, maybe. Franchises reboot faster than ever these days, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put a new creative team together and went in a different direction sooner than that.

But I dunno, I'd be fine with waiting, so long as actual talented writers and filmmakers get a hold of it in the end. Platinum Dunes is a lost cause.

Not assuming too much about the B.O. results too early. But if the projections are accurate I'm gonna pop the champagne. :twink:

Andrew NDB
06-03-2016, 09:23 PM
But I dunno, I'd be fine with waiting, so long as actual talented writers and filmmakers get a hold of it in the end.

That is the hope, but it is near impossible with the way Viacom is approaching TMNT films via Paramount.

Right now it is literally:

Step 1: We can haz more Turtle Product™, let's make a film.
Step 2: Hire on some hired guns (production company, director) and hacks to write it based on what our projections tell us will maximize profit and toy sales.
Step 3: Throw the movie out there and see what happens. Possibly freak out halfway through production when the internet finds out what you're doing is sh*t, then reshoot half of it.

The way the filmmaking process SHOULD work, if there is to be a good TMNT film:

Step 1: Director and/or writer with a vision says, "I get the TMNT, I want to make a TMNT movie." (Alternately, Viacom/Paramount says, "We really want to get another TMNT movie made, let's put out some feelers to see what big name directors or proven up-and-comers, #1: we'd trust with it, and #2: is passionate about and understands the characters).
Step 2: Said director and/or writer approaches Viacom/Paramount and says, "Hey, here's my pitch."
Step 3: Viacom/Paramount sign on and the director and/or writer is allowed to pursue their artistic vision, with minimal sticky notes about toys or whatnot.

Viacom/Paramount has made it clear they're not about the latter, at all.

Bry
06-04-2016, 07:08 AM
That is the hope, but it is near impossible with the way Viacom is approaching TMNT films via Paramount.

We're definitely on the same page. If this does flop, I can only hope that some heads roll and they realize they've been mismanaging the property... but I can't say I believe in miracles.

Here's another update from Deadline (https://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/):

3RD UPDATE, Friday 11:35PM: Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is showing a slight improvement from its original forecast with an $11.6M Friday and an opening weekend of $31.5M at 4,071 theaters according to industry estimates.

Still, it’s not something to yell “Cowabunga!” about when this movie reportedly cost $135M. A sequel for TMNT was announced during its $65.5M successful opening weekend two years ago.

I heard that TMNT 2 was originally tracking at $49M on NRG three weeks ago and since then, its projection tanked.

Some attribute this swing to broken tracking models; they tend to have the pulse on TV ads, but fail to take into account the social media vibe (That said other tracking firms tell me they take all factors into account when forecasting).

Others blame TMNT 2‘s sequelitis on Paramount’s decision to change-up its target audience. When the studio rebooted the franchise two years ago, they executed a perfectly calibrated campaign that would appeal to Gen X and Y’s nostalgia sensibilities for the brand. This time the studio focused on kids. iSpotTV shows that Paramount shelled out an estimated $28.3M on television ads, with heavy spends on such Nickelodeon kid shows as SpongeBob SquarePants, The Thundermans and Henry Danger. Let’s not forget that the Melrose Lot also spent at least $5M on a Super Bowl spot for TMNT 2.

That last point touches on something I've been thinking about for a while, that Paramount had a golden opportunity in 2014 -- it was the 30th anniversary, there hadn't been a new live-action movie in 21 years, the Nick cartoon, toy line, and IDW comic were still relatively fresh and on the upswing -- and they completely blew it. That movie made money, but it likely turned off a lot of its audience and damaged the brand in the long run.

The market is absolutely swamped with comic/nostalgia properties right now, and Platinum Dunes has done absolutely nothing to make TMNT stand out as "special" among the lot, and has done even less to tell an actual good story. It's looking like coasting on nostalgia just doesn't cut it anymore. Whew.

The article also editorializes a bit, and touches on audience reactions:

But c’mon, it’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, not X-Men. How high can the stakes get in this sewer world with four fat, bulky turtles? I still have the Eastman and Laird comic books upstairs in my closet from my junior high days and the original property since the mid 1980s has weathered various blenders at New Line, TWC/Warner Bros (remember that 2007 animated film TMNT which made $54M at the domestic B.O.?), and Nickelodeon prior to Paramount. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was an indie comic book that completely sold out to commercialization, leaving a large portion of its tonal roots in the dust. The original comic book was a die-hard satire, even sending up Wolverine, however, if its drama was to be played on screen for gravitas, that would be ridiculous.

While this sequel is -52% off from the 2014 installment’s $65.6M opening, the 1991 New Line sequel only slid 21% from its initial 1990 chapter ($25M to $20M). What also contributed to the success of the early August opening of TMNT two years ago was the fact that there were more kids out of school. By Monday, only 52% K-12 schools will be on summer break.

The one thing that the turtles can beat their chests about tonight is the fact that they landed an A- CinemaScore, up from 2014’s B. Since Par went after the kid demo, they’re crossing their fingers that it plays like one with a high multiple this summer. We’ll see. TMNT 2 received sour results on PostTrak: 78% gave it a total positive score (meh), 47% said they’re definitely passing around the good word about it (not good), while only 20% said it exceeded their expectations (a good indicator if the sequel is worth moviegoers’ cash). Sixty-five percent males turned up for TMNT 2, but despite 53% being under 25, there was thick draw among the millennials with 38% between 18-24 and 33% 25-34. So, a portion of the old die-hard hipster fans showed up. 3D only repped 36% of all ticket sales per PostTrak. Thirty-four percent of the crowd said they bought tickets because it’s part of a franchise they like.

So yeah, not great news for this movie on the whole. If generally summer blockbusters make about 1/3 (or more) of their total domestic B.O. in the first weekend, and if that holds here and the tracking is accurate, this might not even crack $100m. And they spelled out how expensive the production and marketing were on this thing.

If it turns out they overestimated the appeal of Fred Wolf nostalgia and going solely for the kid market, hopefully that leads to something better down the line. Considering how our pop culture (and hell, culture as a whole) is overwhelmingly dominated by superheroes, this is the perfect time for TMNT to re-embrace its satirical roots. Deadpool was a massive hit for a reason. Paramount should take notes.

Reboot? Reboot.

Vicky82
06-04-2016, 09:04 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tmnt2016.htm

$12M at the US box office so far :ohwell:

JTH
06-04-2016, 09:13 AM

Well, it looks like 30 million, that's way down from I thought it be.

Domestic box office wise, it's going to struggle to make it's 130 million budget back.

Bry
06-04-2016, 09:15 AM

Yep, $12.4m (https://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/). Slightly better than projections, but not by much. And that number includes the $2m from Thursday night previews.

Officially less than half of the last movie's opening Friday. So yeah, that's really not good, especially for a sequel.

Vicky82
06-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I think they chose the wrong date for TMNT 2, maybe should of kept the August date.

Even though it's doing **** an opening weekend it may do well during the week or next weekend. Warcraft is next weekend, does anyone think Warcraft will do well or bomb, if it bombs TMNT 2 could get the 2nd weekend at no 1.

neatoman
06-04-2016, 09:23 AM
So exactly how big is the chance it will fail financially?

ranger_scout
06-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Variety says it might actually be heading for a $36 million weekend.

The opening of “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” is dominating a moderate weekend at the U.S. box office with an estimated $36 million, slightly better than half of the original’s launch.

Paramount’s action-comedy sequel took in $12.5 million at 4,071 sites on Friday, easily outdistancing the first day of Emilia Clarke’s romantic drama “Me Before You” at $7.8 million at 2,704 locations and the eighth day of “X-Men: Apocalypse” with $6.6 million.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-ninja-turtles-x-men-me-before-you-1201788792/

Plus, there is another update from Deadline:

4TH WRITETHRU, Saturday 8AM: Refresh for updates, revised chart coming Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is gaining strength bit by bit in the wake of that A- CinemaScore, but not enough to scream “Cowabunga!” as this sequel cost a reported $135M before P&A. Current industry estimates show TMNT 2 coming in with a $12.4M Friday and an opening weekend of $33.7M at 4,071 theaters.

I heard yesterday that TMNT 2 was originally tracking at $49M on NRG three weeks ago and since then, its projection tanked. Some attribute this swing to broken tracking models; they tend to have the pulse on TV ads, but fail to take into account the social media vibe (That said other tracking firms tell me they take all factors into account when forecasting).

Others blame TMNT 2‘s sequelitis on Paramount’s decision to change-up its target audience. When the studio rebooted the franchise two years ago, they executed a perfectly calibrated campaign that would appeal to Gen X and Y’s nostalgia sensibilities for the brand. That pulled in 55% over 25. This time the studio focused on kids and 52% under 25 and 40% under 18 showed up, however, we’re looking at lower ticket sales here. iSpotTV shows that Paramount shelled out an estimated $28.3M on television ads, with heavy spends on such Nickelodeon kid shows as SpongeBob SquarePants, The Thundermans and Henry Danger. Let’s not forget that the Melrose Lot also spent at least $5M on a Super Bowl spot for TMNT 2.

But c’mon, it’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, not X-Men. How high can the stakes get in this sewer world with four fat, bulky turtles? I still have the Eastman and Laird comic books upstairs in my closet from my junior high days and the original property since the mid 1980s has weathered various blenders at New Line, TWC/Warner Bros (remember that 2007 animated film TMNT which made $54M at the domestic B.O.?), and Nickelodeon prior to Paramount. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was an indie comic book that completely sold out to commercialization, leaving a large portion of its tonal roots in the dust. The original comic book was a die-hard satire, even sending up Wolverine, however, if its drama was to be played on screen for gravitas, that would be ridiculous. A sequel for TMNT was announced during its $65.5M successful opening weekend two years ago.

While this sequel is -49% off from the 2014 installment’s $65.6M opening, the 1991 New Line sequel only slid 21% from its initial 1990 chapter ($25M to $20M). What also contributed to the success of the early August opening of TMNT two years ago was the fact that there were more kids out of school. By Monday, only 52% K-12 schools will be on summer break.

The one thing that the turtles can beat their chests about this weekend is that A- CinemaScore, up from 2014’s B. Since Par went after the kid demo, they’re crossing their fingers that it plays like one with a high multiple this summer. We’ll see. Strong CinemaScore grades with this sequel lie with males who turned at 54% (A-), females at 46% (A-), the under 18 crowd (A), and the under 25ers (A). TMNT 2 received sour results on PostTrak: 78% gave it a total positive score (meh), 47% said they’re definitely passing around the good word about it (not good), while only 20% said it exceeded their expectations (a good indicator if the sequel is worth moviegoers’ cash). Sixty-five percent males turned up for TMNT 2, but despite 53% being under 25, there was thick draw among the millennials with 38% between 18-24 and 33% 25-34. So, a portion of the old die-hard hipster fans showed up. 3D only repped 36% of all ticket sales per PostTrak. Thirty-four percent of the crowd said they bought tickets because it’s part of a franchise they like.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/

At least it's doing a little bit better than original estimates.

TigerClaw
06-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Here's the chart so far as of Friday.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

1. TMNT: Out of the Shadows $12,500,000
2. Me Before You $7,750,000
3. X-Men: Apocalypse $6,550,000
4. Alice Through The Looking Glass $3,155,000
5. The Angry Birds Movie $2,600,000

Me Before You, and Popstar are the other movies it's competing against, but it looks like Popstar isn't doing well, it's currently #7, and right below Civil War.

Vicky82
06-04-2016, 09:25 AM
As it was a American holiday last weekend X-Men only did $80M and Alice bombed so I'm thinking the people who didn't see those movies last week will see them this week. If no 1 is interested in Warcraft next week then TMNT 2 may do well.

So exactly how big is the chance it will fail financially?

It depends how well it does every day in the US and depends how well it does overseas.

Bry
06-04-2016, 09:26 AM
I think they chose the wrong date for TMNT 2, maybe should of kept the August date.

Even though it's doing **** an opening weekend it may do well during the week or next weekend. Warcraft is next weekend, does anyone think Warcraft will do well or bomb, if it bombs TMNT 2 could get the 2nd weekend at no 1.

Hard to say, really... Warcraft is performing well internationally, but there's no guarantee that'll apply to the North American market.

The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2 also come out next week, and they all have pretty wide openings. That's not all "direct" competition necessarily, but that is a lot of movies vying for the grown-up audience. And marketing this almost exclusively to the kids might have been a mistake, because Finding Dory is going to bury it in two weeks.

TMNT2 cost $135m to produce and at least $35m to market (likely a fair amount more), so... I can't see anyone at Paramount smiling about these numbers.

JTH
06-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Variety says it might actually be heading for a $36 million weekend.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-ninja-turtles-x-men-me-before-you-1201788792/

Plus, there is another update from Deadline:

At least it's doing a little bit better than original estimates.
I doubt it get to 36, it might make another 12 million on Saturday, perhaps a bit more, some movies pull that off. But most movies have at least a 25% Sunday dropoff.

If the number fall as they usually do, (12, 12, 8 ) it will pull in 32 million for the weekend, but highly doubt it will make much more than that unless there's a big Saturday spike.

Vicky82
06-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Hard to say, really... Warcraft is performing well internationally, but there's no guarantee that'll apply to the North American market.

The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2 also come out next week, and they all have pretty wide openings. That's not all "direct" competition necessarily, but that is a lot of movies vying for the grown-up audience.

And marketing this almost exclusively to the kids might have been a mistake, because Finding Dory is going to bury it in two weeks.

I forgot about those 2 movies are they R Rated movies though.

I find it strange that we get Finding Dory in late July here.

TigerClaw
06-04-2016, 09:33 AM
I forgot about those 2 movies are they R Rated movies though.

I find it strange that we get Finding Dory in late July here.
The Conjuring 2 is rated R, while Now You See Me 2 is PG-13

Bry
06-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Not strictly on topic, but: 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Writers Sign First-Look Deal With Paramount (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-writers-899349)

...I wonder if Paramount'll wish they waited until Monday to put that in writing? :trazz:

JTH
06-04-2016, 01:47 PM

They followed the money like most companies do.

June is statically proven to be a much more profitable month for movies than August.

In the past 10 years, August has only had 2 movies make more than 200 million domestically at the box office (Guardians of the Galaxy & One of the Bourne Movies, I think it's Bourne Identity)

June has had a 200 million box office grossing movie every year since 2004, and 23 in total. Plus it's the same month Bay puts out all his Transformers movies, also a Paramount production so they clearly thought it would fare better.

It's simply because the first movie was not well received. Good/Bad movies affect future movies accordingly. Bay's Transformers movies are a perfect example.

Transformers was praised by most, the 2nd Transformers made more than the first, the second stunk, the 3rd one made less, the 3rd stunk, the 4th one made less than that.

It's the case from everything from Star Wars to A&tC. Quality of movie affects your future releases, it didn't matter when TMNT 2 came out, the same thing would have happened. Heck it's not like it had a stiff competition with it going head to head.

myconius
06-04-2016, 01:55 PM
there's no way i'd have been able to wait till july or august for this movie!

Shark_Blade
06-04-2016, 01:57 PM
They faced the mighty Guardians of Galaxy last time, it turned out well and fine. This one could be doing well too, maybe greater.

If it doesn't, who cares. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not the end of the world. Enjoy the movie. :tlove:;)

The Deadman
06-04-2016, 02:02 PM

The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2 also come out next week, and they all have pretty wide openings. That's not all "direct" competition necessarily, but that is a lot of movies vying for the grown-up audience. And marketing this almost exclusively to the kids might have been a mistake, because Finding Dory is going to bury it in two weeks.

TMNT2 cost $135m to produce and at least $35m to market (likely a fair amount more), so... I can't see anyone at Paramount smiling about these numbers.

Id like to think Warcraft is only performing well overseas because the game franchise is well received there. If a League of Legends movie came out it would probably do well in the Asian market but not the US market.

They faced the mighty Guardians of Galaxy last time, it turned out well and fine. This one could be doing well too, maybe greater.

If it doesn't, who cares. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not the end of the world. Enjoy the movie. :tlove:;)

But it is in regards to the direction of a movie franchise, something you apparently havent grasped just yet.

Vicky82
06-04-2016, 02:15 PM
If this bombs then there won't be a 3rd movie and I just bit worried that Nickelodeon might cancel the Nick show because of it.

Nickelodeon and Viacom probably think people are losing interest, cancel everything (except for the IDW comic) but reboot it about 5 or 10 years later.

Bry
06-04-2016, 02:20 PM
If this bombs then there won't be a 3rd movie and I just bit worried that Nickelodeon might cancel the Nick show because of it.

If this is considered a flop there might not be a third movie of this series, but it'll reboot sooner or later. That's pretty much a guarantee. Though they'll likely go in a different direction when they do (which I would be more than fine with).

And I don't see Nick effectively cancelling the property outright... The show and the movies don't have much connection at all, so as long as the show's still performing at a profitable level I would imagine/hope they'd leave it be.

But I guess you can't necessarily apply logic to corporate-think. :twink:

TrickOrTreater
06-04-2016, 02:23 PM
This one could be doing well too, maybe greater.

It won't.

If it tanks like they're projecting it, deservedly so, no third movie.

Shark_Blade
06-04-2016, 02:33 PM
It won't.
Like you think the first one won't too? Pah. :tcool:

You know nothing, no one here does. :twink:

Bry
06-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Like you think the first one won't too? Pah. :tcool:

You know nothing, no one here does. :twink:

...listen, it might do okay in the end if the international box office makes up the difference, or there's some miraculous recovery domestically, but the odds are hugely against it doing "greater" than the last movie. Or even getting close to it, really. It's performing at 50% of BayTurtles 2014 so far, and it's up against much heavier competition in the most crowded box office season of the year.

Just saying, I wouldn't hold my breath.

neatoman
06-04-2016, 02:41 PM

Nickelodeon and Viacom probably think people are losing interest, cancel everything (except for the IDW comic) but reboot it about 5 or 10 years later.

If the movie series get shelved, good riddance. If it means the end of the Nickelodeon cartoon... Eh, doesn't matter it has already lasted longer than most other cartoons and it has gotten increasingly lackluster anyway. Besides if the movie series continues to be successful, chances are that it would get retooled into something resembling the movies or replaced by a reboot more in line with the movies from the start.

As long as IDW keeps publishing good TMNT comics, I'm happy.

The Deadman
06-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Yep, Shark has zero clue as to how all that works.

ZariusTwo
06-04-2016, 02:47 PM
If the movie series get shelved, good riddance. If it means the end of the Nickelodeon cartoon....

..Good riddance.:)

vicsavage
06-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Not strictly on topic, but: 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Writers Sign First-Look Deal With Paramount (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-writers-899349)

...I wonder if Paramount'll wish they waited until Monday to put that in writing? :trazz:

There were writers?

Shark_Blade
06-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Just saying, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Neither am I. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Like last time, I didn't care and it turns out well. :tcool:

Yep, Shark has zero clue as to how all that works.You need to get a clue yourself. :lol: Assuming blindly strangers on internet you don't know, so full of yourself.

Powder
06-04-2016, 03:02 PM
I know some people will trash me for this fanboy conspiracy stuff, but I am 100% certain that it did not perform as well last time (2014) as they claimed it did. I think strings were pulled, hush money was spread, & thus the numbers were doctored so they could save face. There's budgetary issues which concern the insane amount of re-shoots & re-working of the project, they said they shot three films worth of material so that's like at least 2 hours of scenes that went un-used, some of which having been animated before being ultimately discarded, which would also include a crap-ton of Sach's recorded dialogue as Shredder. It's like flushing money down the toilet. They'd be hard pressed to tie all that up properly with the suits, one assumes. They clearly had nothing left to spend on marketing, considering what little we got came late & was embarrassingly poor (like Photoshopped stock art, for example). It was critically panned, & short of a few enthusiastic people here & there, most of the feedback I saw & heard was immensely negative. The theater I was in had 5 people including me at the debut screening, & there were audible groans from all attending. Then this one comes out, & in the opening flourishes we see the logos for like 5 sketchy ass Chinese film investment companies. As far as I'm concerned, they've already been faking the funk & this one was a beg & borrow situation. So if it does not do as well as they hope, I can't see there being a third option to get it made unless they shoot solely for eastern audiences (assuming it performs decently overseas).

ToTheNines
06-04-2016, 03:12 PM
..Good riddance.:)

Zari Zari, quite contrary.

Bry
06-04-2016, 03:27 PM
I know some people will trash me for this fanboy conspiracy stuff, but I am 100% certain that it did not perform as well last time (2014) as they claimed it did. I think strings were pulled, hush money was spread, & thus the numbers were doctored so they could save face. There's budgetary issues which concern the insane amount of re-shoots & re-working of the project, they said they shot three films worth of material so that's like at least 2 hours of scenes that went un-used, some of which having been animated before being ultimately discarded, which would also include a crap-ton of Sach's recorded dialogue as Shredder. It's like flushing money down the toilet. They'd be hard pressed to tie all that up properly with the suits, one assumes. They clearly had nothing left to spend on marketing, considering what little we got came late & was embarrassingly poor (like Photoshopped stock art, for example). It was critically panned, & short of a few enthusiastic people here & there, most of the feedback I saw & heard was immensely negative. The theater I was in had 5 people including me at the debut screening, & there were audible groans from all attending. Then this one comes out, & in the opening flourishes we see the logos for like 5 sketchy ass Chinese film investment companies. As far as I'm concerned, they've already been faking the funk & this one was a beg & borrow situation. So if it does not do as well as they hope, I can't see there being a third option to get it made unless they shoot solely for eastern audiences (assuming it performs decently overseas).

I don't usually go for conspiracy theories, but...

wlMwc1c0HRQ

TrickOrTreater
06-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Just looked at box office mojo daily intake for both movies.

OUCH.

25 million on friday for the first movie vs 12 million on friday for THIS movie which INCLUDES 2 million on Thursday night.

OUCH.

TMNTInsighter
06-04-2016, 06:32 PM

It was going for five seasons anyway and they were cleared for that much last year.

psychturtle
06-04-2016, 07:01 PM
People just aren't jazzed for the PD tmnt franchise. Marvel does so well because it caters to adults just as much as kids. This tmnt 2 was made for kids and tweens. When movies are made mostly for kids, it won't fare as well with critics. Go watch this in week 3 and observe the volume of kids in attendance. Platinum Dunes failed, time to move in to next idea. I hope Netflix picks up tmnt. They could do a great story with rich character development.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
06-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know why the TMNT 2 discussion thread was closed?

Autbot_Benz
06-04-2016, 07:31 PM

ask the usual suspects :roll:

Bry
06-04-2016, 07:31 PM

Hostility and personal insults got it shuttered, I assume.

chrisdude
06-04-2016, 07:43 PM
I sometimes wish they'd just ban and suspend more people. Closing threads all the time kinda seems like not moderating.

Bry
06-04-2016, 07:46 PM
I sometimes wish they'd just ban and suspend more people. Closing threads all the time kinda seems like not moderating.

Well, it's not like they're paid for their time, and shutting down an argument-in-progress means less for them to clean up afterward. And I imagine banning is kind of considered a last resort.

ToTheNines
06-04-2016, 07:51 PM

I generally agree with this statement, but I don't see how that thread got locked. Honestly don't think it was that hostile. Even samxsteal was keeping it real.

CyberCubed
06-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I think the thread was locked because people were going off-topic about Marvel movies, not that people were flaming.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-04-2016, 07:53 PM
We go off-topic all the time, and even then the threads are only closed when you start talking about your waifu.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
06-04-2016, 07:59 PM

Yeah man, closing a thread because of naughty users is a bit much.

TigerClaw
06-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah man, closing a thread because of naughty users is a bit much.
there used to be a user here, who tried to harass me on twitter, and was very hostile towards others, he was banned.

Foombamaroom
06-04-2016, 08:04 PM
there used to be a user here, who tried to harass me on twitter, and was very hostile towards others, he was banned.

To be fair, Amaranthus was a whole 'nother story all together. Sure, there's hostility in threads every now and then, but that dude was just something else.

It's one thing to fight in a forum, but it's another thing to find multiple members of said forum and harass them over social media.

samxsteal
06-04-2016, 08:13 PM
I generally agree with this statement, but I don't see how that thread got locked. Honestly don't think it was that hostile. Even samxsteal was keeping it real.
So far the reception seems pretty good. Im hoping it does well I wanna say it will do better then the last one it deserves to.

Also
I have never attached anyone but I have a feeling I know why but meh I just hope they do something about certain user instead of just letting people get away with things.

I have on the other hand been attached countless times lol with nothing ever happening to those who have.

CyberCubed
06-04-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm guessing the reason this film is doing so poorly is everyone was horrified by the 2014 film and said, "I won't be fooled again" so they didn't see this one.

I can understand it, but this movie blows the first out of the water.

LeotheLateBloomer
06-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Tell me about it. I walked into work my usher shift today and it was surprisingly dead. It picked up a little before I got off but the theaters for this movie were no where near as packed as something like Civil War or Deadpool. I believe even Me Before You was doing better than this movie. I don't know whether it's because of the many school graduations happening in my area or what. All I know is that this movie might have some steady competition with The Conjuring 2, Now You See Me 2, and Warcraft next weekend, but once Finding Dory comes out, it's all over for the turtles.

TrickOrTreater
06-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Tell me about it. I walked into work my usher shift today and it was surprisingly dead. It picked up a little before I got off but the theaters for this movie were no where near as packed as something like Civil War or Deadpool. I believe even Me Before You was doing better than this movie. I don't know whether it's because of the many graduations happening in my area or what. All. I know is that this movie might have some steady competition with The Conjuring 2, Now You See Me 2, and Warcraft next weekend, but once Finding Dory comes out, it's all over for the turtles.

Hell it might be all over THIS weekend.

BOM haven't posted their Saturday estimates yet, but 10.5 million on a Friday during Summer?

That's REALLY bad.

Even X-Men: Apocalypse made 25 million on a Friday last month. Just like a week or so ago.

Unless Saturday BO friggin EXPLODES in a big way, this has bomb written all over it.

chrisdude
06-04-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing the reason this film is doing so poorly is everyone was horrified by the 2014 film and said, "I won't be fooled again" so they didn't see this one.

I can understand it, but this movie blows the first out of the water.Yeah, I guess that's pretty much the way it works. It certainly isn't because this movie is or looks worse.

Powder
06-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Another thing that seems to back all that up is right before your eyes, these forums. Pretty quiet. I expected this place to be booming with discussion, but it's only marginally more than a Nick series season finale or something. Pretty quiet. Remember how it was last time? Any given thread in this section had like 3 posts made in it per minute. Total chaos. Granted a little chunk of those posters were casuals who came & went riding a wave of nostalgia.

TrickOrTreater
06-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I guess that's pretty much the way it works. It certainly isn't because this movie is or looks worse.

Mmmmmno that's probably a big contributing factor.

Another thing that seems to back all that up is right before your eyes, these forums. Pretty quiet. I expected this place to be booming with discussion, but it's only marginally more than a Nick series season finale or something. Pretty quiet. Remember how it was last time? Any given thread in this section had like 3 posts made in it per minute. Total chaos. Granted a little chunk of those posters were casuals who came & went riding a wave of nostalgia.

Yep, I noticed that all throughout the production and the lead up to this weekend.

Nowhere near the amount of "hype" there was last time.

Andrew NDB
06-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah. Only the PLANTS during this rodeo, really.

Leolead
06-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Yeah, a lot of those guys disappeared

Drose18
06-04-2016, 10:55 PM
People just aren't jazzed for the PD tmnt franchise. Marvel does so well because it caters to adults just as much as kids. This tmnt 2 was made for kids and tweens. When movies are made mostly for kids, it won't fare as well with critics. Go watch this in week 3 and observe the volume of kids in attendance. Platinum Dunes failed, time to move in to next idea. I hope Netflix picks up tmnt. They could do a great story with rich character development.

at this point wouldnt mind if disney made the move and brought tmnt to the marvel world.

chrisdude
06-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Mmmmmno that's probably a big contributing factor.Oh, come on. You really think anybody saw Rocksteady, Bebop, and Krang, and thought, "Gee, this looks worse than the last one." I'll buy that the last movie left bad tastes in people's mouths, but I won't buy that.

TrickOrTreater
06-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Oh, come on. You really think anybody saw Rocksteady, Bebop, and Krang, and thought, "Gee, this looks worse than the last one." I'll buy that the last movie left bad tastes in people's mouths, but I won't buy that.

Hmmm. Not super sure if you're trolling or not but just to err on the safe side I'm not going to bother showing you lots and lots of reviews that say this one was worse than the last one, DESPITE Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang.

Galactus
06-04-2016, 11:11 PM
at this point wouldnt mind if disney made the move and brought tmnt to the marvel world.

That's the only real possibility to claw this back in the near future.

I've mentioned before the Amazing Spider-Man series as something of an equivalent to the Platinum Dunes TMNT movies and I think the current situation with the box office bares this out and hope that if people were willing to accept a reboot for that franchise so soon you could make the same argument for turtles.

There is one big distinction still between the two; While there was more faith in Marvel rebooting Spidey but if Webb movies were the last word before the reboot I'm sure there would still be doubters but Spider-Man was featured in one of the biggest Marvel movies and gave audiences a taste of what to expect which has put a lot of doubt about Homecoming to rest. TMNT doesn't have that.

Foombamaroom
06-04-2016, 11:20 PM
I'm sure this movie's flopping because people learned from their mistakes.

However, that doesn't explain why the Transformers movies make so much goddamn money, even if most of it comes from overseas.

Xav
06-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Oh, come on. You really think anybody saw Rocksteady, Bebop, and Krang, and thought, "Gee, this looks worse than the last one." I'll buy that the last movie left bad tastes in people's mouths, but I won't buy that.Well I think this looks worse than the last one.

Commenter 42
06-05-2016, 12:46 AM
If anyone had said 6 months ago that PDMT2 would have a higher RT score than BVS...

Well, this year is just full of surprises.

Commenter 42
06-05-2016, 12:48 AM

Well, fool me once... Yadda yadda...

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 12:50 AM
If anyone had said 6 months ago that PDMT2 would have a higher RT score than BVS...

Well, this year is just full of surprises.

I bet BayTurtles is way worse than BvS.

I'd probably even put money on it were I a bettin' man.

Commenter 42
06-05-2016, 01:25 AM
I bet BayTurtles is way worse than BvS.

I'd probably even put money on it were I a bettin' man.

Well, BVS isn't a bad film, like it's predecessor, as in badly made; but it's a miserable experience, didactic and coarse. It's unpleasant to look at....

Kind of like the CG turtles.

So tie?

Not sure when I'll get to it...PDMT left such a bad taste...

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 01:38 AM
Well, BVS isn't a bad film, like it's predecessor, as in badly made; but it's a miserable experience, didactic and coarse. It's unpleasant to look at....

Kind of like the CG turtles.

So tie?

Hmm, interesting. Well I'm definitely seeing it soon, if only for Affleck's Batman.

Not sure when I'll get to it...PDMT left such a bad taste...

God, I could barely make it through the first one.

Guess I'll find out in a month or so if I feel like watching this one.

CyberCubed
06-05-2016, 01:51 AM
This movie is much better than the 2014 movie. Even leaving Bebop/Rocksteady aside, the Turtles themselves are MUCH better. They actually have characters now and some good banter and dialogue.

In the 2014 movie it felt like nobody had any character, this movie they at least feel like the Turtles. I still don't care for their huge hulk forms or nostrils, but other than that they were fine.

ToTheNines
06-05-2016, 03:52 AM

Which is nice, but yeah.... the 07 movie, and the last one brought boatloads of new members. I didn't even bother coming to this section at all during Summer of 2014, cause it was so overrun with posts.

neatoman
06-05-2016, 04:16 AM
This movie is much better than the 2014 movie. Even leaving Bebop/Rocksteady aside, the Turtles themselves are MUCH better. They actually have characters now and some good banter and dialogue.

In the 2014 movie it felt like nobody had any character, this movie they at least feel like the Turtles. I still don't care for their huge hulk forms or nostrils, but other than that they were fine.

No. At best it's a slight improvement and I can't even agree on that, it's annoying as all hell and feels way longer than it is.

I hope this movie bombs.

ZariusTwo
06-05-2016, 05:01 AM
No..

Yes.

Who the hell are you to tell him or any of us who enjoyed it more than you what is and is'nt a good movie? If he enjoyed it, that's all that he needs to go by. You're not going to change his or any of our minds with your negative viewpoint, so shut your trap kiddo. You ruined your own good time and you're borderline obsessed with trying to make others feel inadequate or stupid for liking what you did'nt. Let it go already.

I hope this movie bombs.

I hope puberty kicks in for you and you get some much-needed perspective.

It's just a f*cking movie. You act like it killed Muhammad Ali.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 05:09 AM
Yes.

Who the hell are you to tell him or any of us who enjoyed it more than you what is and is'nt a good movie? If he enjoyed it, that's all that he needs to go by. You're not going to change his or any of our minds with your negative viewpoint, so shut your trap kiddo. You ruined your own good time and you're borderline obsessed with trying to make others feel inadequate or stupid for liking what you did'nt. Let it go already.

It's just a f*cking movie.

Amazing. :lol:

GoldMutant
06-05-2016, 05:29 AM
You ruined your own good time and you're borderline obsessed with trying to make others feel inadequate or stupid for liking what you did'nt. Let it go already.

..... Hostile much with including "The Greatest" to prove a point? :ohwell:

I hate to be that guy, but Zarius after seeing General Discussion with Marvel and Batman v Superman, you are the last person who should be calling out cinematic tastes. Whether you're calling people out as sheep who enjoy Marvel (personally for me, I can only fully enjoy Iron-Man and Winter Soldier at this time, going to be viewing every movie after exams so I can see Civil War) or, I dunno, calling out the cameo scene for the latter... That's hypocrisy if I ever saw it.

I'm not opposed to your stance of the film (I personally am uninterested in this series altogether), but this is the pot turning the kettle black. We're going to disagree regardless on these films as Michael Bay is one instance of cinematic poison with not fully grasping the source material alongside Platinum Dunes. Either put him on ignore or something instead of allowing a killjoy to keep coming up. You enjoy something, more power to you, after all it's my silly opinion that don't mean much.

neatoman
06-05-2016, 05:53 AM
Yes.

What? Are you insecure about your opinion? Are you afraid that if you rewatch it, it's not going to hold up? Do you dislike this movie deep down and lying to yourself?

These are the only reasons I can imagine why you're getting so angry every time I express my opinion of this movie. I'm not trying to make to make anyone feel stupid or inadequate, I don't like this movie and I'm using counterarguments, there's a difference. You're the one who is trying to tells me I should shut up and not explain why I didn't like this wretched movie, I think I've said this before in the in the Nick section, what's the point of a forum if everyone with a negative opinion should just shut up?

Hell, where was this attitude back in 2014? I didn't see anyone shutting up to let the people who liked the movie chatter around in their echo chamber.

Look, this isn't a good movie as far as I'm concerned, I didn't have a "good time" to ruin, what the hell do you even mean by that? Most of the critics agree with me on this one and you're probably going to see a lot more reviews that weren't paid for or give this movie a passing grade because it's "a stupid kids' movie". The reason I hope this movie bombs is so that it won't get any sequels and Paramount can spend their money on making other movies that won't suck.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 06:09 AM
No. At best it's a slight improvement and I can't even agree on that, it's annoying as all hell and feels way longer than it is.

I hope this movie bombs.

Ok you don't like the movie, I get that and I don't care but questioning other peoples opinions who like this movie and trying to force people into changing there minds is just wrong. It's their opinion not yours and you have to accept it.

Bry
06-05-2016, 06:09 AM
...oh, come on. The whole section is gonna get shut down again at this rate. :trolleye:

You ruined your own good time

I said as much already, but this is a really silly argument. Not everybody has your preferences or tastes. If someone didn't like it, they have their reasons and those reasons are totally valid. Acting like everyone has to rewire their brains or change their expectations or standards makes no sense at all. It's nobody's responsibility to enjoy this movie. If they didn't like it, they didn't like it. They were never gonna have a good time in the first place.

Don't blame the viewer for not liking a movie. That's some Megan Fox nonsense.

It's just a f*cking movie.

Yep, exactly. So why is it worth arguing and insulting others when they express their dislike for it? It goes both ways.

So can we all drop it? This is the box office thread. If the regular threads for discussing/debating the movie got shut down, there's probably a reason for it.

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 06:25 AM

Mmmmmno that's probably a big contributing factor.

Yep, I noticed that all throughout the production and the lead up to this weekend.

Nowhere near the amount of "hype" there was last time.

Yeah because the fans that enjoyed the last one got pushes out of these forums. Howw many people got banned because a bunch of users ganged up on them and spam reported them? I can count at least 7. People don't come back to a combative site wanting to talk about something they like when they know there going to get picked on

Yeah. Only the PLANTS during this rodeo, really.

I REST my freaking case.......... .:trolleye:

When people come to a fan site to talk about there movie and get met with people making fun of them they just don't come back

And you all joke like that's a great thing it's not. It's totally not a great thing you push fans away. Smh and it been the same since 2014.

Bry
06-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Howw many people got banned because a bunch of users ganged up on them and spam reported them? I can count at least 7.

I'm pretty sure people don't get banned just because they were reported. People get banned because they repeatedly break forum rules.

People don't come back to a combative site wanting to talk about something they like when they know there going to get picked on

Honestly? Both "sides" are to blame for the hostility. Shots fired in every direction. You can't just point the finger across the room and claim your own side is blameless. You yourself have tossed some insults around more than once. Which isn't to start something here -- just saying that framing this as "good guys vs. bad guys" doesn't represent the reality.

Either way, a forum is a community. People are gonna talk about what they talk about, what they like, what they dislike. And there's always going to be someone who can't handle the conversation and lashes out at people. So... what's the solution to that?

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure people don't get banned just because they were reported. People get banned because they repeatedly break forum rules.

Honestly? Both "sides" are to blame for the hostility. Shots fired in every direction. You can't just point the finger across the room and claim your own side is blameless. You yourself have tossed some insults around more than once. Which isn't to start something here -- just saying that framing this as "good guys vs. bad guys" doesn't represent the reality.

Either way, a forum is a community. People are gonna talk about what they talk about, what they like, what they dislike. And there's always going to be someone who can't handle the conversation and lashes out at people. So... what's the solution to that?

But all I'm saying is that when some one come to a site that is meant to be for fans to talk about something they are a fan of only to.be belittled made fun pretty much told they are idiots for being a fan of said thing. They just find an other place to discuss thing somewhere where they can feeling open about how they feel and let's face it this place is not that place anymore.

Also I have never attached users I've witness people threaten others I've seen so much belittling, but I have never directly or purposely insulted someone. Thank you very much.

I know a good 20 users on These forums, who won't step foot into this section because they think it's so toxic. What's their excuse. They just can't handle the internet?

chrisdude
06-05-2016, 07:33 AM
Hmmm. Not super sure if you're trolling or not but just to err on the safe side I'm not going to bother showing you lots and lots of reviews that say this one was worse than the last one, DESPITE Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang. we've all seen the reviews. Those are written by people who watched the movie. Cubed and I were discussing reasons people would not have gone to see the movie. All the promotions did was introduce a bunch of fan favorite characters, so I don't think that's why.

pdizzle
06-05-2016, 08:13 AM

Sorry but this is a joke anymore. Maybe last movie yes. But a handful of the negative side has made this place unbearable and to act as if certain ones dont do anything but start sh*t is a joke. I got in the middle of some pretty heated arguments last time around then fell away from the forums for a long time and when i came back decided i wouldnt get to the point it got to last time. No one can say Ive been argumentative this time around, yet ive seen the movie, liked it, shared that said opinion, and now im a plant along with anyone else who likes the movie. So tell me, if things are coming from both sides why do the ones who havent even seen the movie feel the need to accuse the ones on a ninja turtle forum of being plants or stupid in their opinion for watching and liking a ninja turtles movie. I honestly dont mind listening to those that have gripes about any film i like only around here it goes beyond that, because for a handful of those, not all, who dont like this movie they set out acting as if their said OPINION is fact and will belittle all that dont agree. And while i barely have the time or energy to keep up with all the BS on this forum I can only speak from my own experience on this forum this time around, so with that being said while their might be a little truth in what your trying to say its a debatable subject but one that is better left undebated cause its kind of invalid anymore. Never the less true or not
Around here it would solve nothing but only further off topic subjects and unneeded conversation in these threads.

OA
06-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Sorry to interrupt but when can we expect fresh box office numbers?

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Sorry but this is a joke anymore. Maybe last movie yes. But a handful of the negative side has made this place unbearable and to act as if certain ones dont do anything but start sh*t is a joke. I got in the middle of some pretty heated arguments last time around then fell away from the forums for a long time and when i came back decided i wouldnt get to the point it got to last time. No one can say Ive been argumentative this time around, yet ive seen the movie, liked it, shared that said opinion, and now im a plant along with anyone else who likes the movie. So tell me, if things are coming from both sides why do the ones who havent even seen the movie feel the need to accuse the ones on a ninja turtle forum of being plants or stupid in their opinion for watching and liking a ninja turtles movie. I honestly dont mind listening to those that have gripes about any film i like only around here it goes beyond that, because for a handful of those, not all, who dont like this movie they set out acting as if their said OPINION is fact and will belittle all that dont agree. And while i barely have the time or energy to keep up with all the BS on this forum I can only speak from my own experience on this forum this time around, so with that being said while their might be a little truth in what your trying to say its a debatable subject but one that is better left undebated cause its kind of invalid anymore. Never the less true or not
Around here it would solve nothing but only further off topic subjects and unneeded conversation in these threads.

Thank you this is exactly what I mean. And I'm 100% sure that a major feel the same way. I think most of it come fro. The passive aggressive way they do it. Seriously I can name almost 20 who pretty much refuse to co.e back to these forums. And that ridiculous that a fan can't go to a fan site to fan boy out about a movie they are a fan of

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Can we please stay on topic guys, bicker somewhere else

Within the next couple of hours.

Bry
06-05-2016, 09:09 AM

Can we please stay on topic guys, bicker somewhere else

Seriously. Can we have a "Forum Gripes" thread somewhere for people to get this out of their systems, or something? The complaining about complaining (about complaining about complaining) hijacking every conversation is exhausting.

Hey, new box office estimates (https://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/)! Back on track, then?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows saw a 4% uptick over Friday in its Saturday grosses with $12.9M sending its industry opening projection to $35M. Paramount will be weighing in soon this morning with their official Sunday AM figure. Armed with that A- CinemaScore, TMNT2 could conceivably leg out to $100M-plus. More kids will be getting out of school; there’s only 52% K-12 out tomorrow, so the Melrose lot can look forward to that. Of the 23 films (of varying different genres and demo appeals) that have opened in the $30M range during June, 19 of them cracked $100M. Only four of them didn’t hit the three century-mark: X-Files, The Purge, The Happening and Ted 2. Essentially, that’s adult-geared, genre or R-rated stuff that missed the three century mark.

After the success of the first movie ($493.3M), it made absolute perfect business sense for Paramount to make another movie, particularly given the franchise history. It just feels like this one is same old, same old in its materials and the film itself. Not to mention, following in the footsteps of Guardians in the Galaxy during the early August period gave fanboys some dessert after hogging out on that Marvel movie. Again, TMNT isn’t a comic book mythology that’s ripe with any popular, cool, or nefarious characters that lend themselves to sequels in the way that the Batman or Avengers possesses in their universes. There isn’t any Bane or Scarlet Witch lurking around for a sequel that’s going to send a stampede into the multiplex. Nor is there a big hook storyline that’s screaming to make it’s way to the big screen (i.e. Donatello the Turtle eats a bad batch of pizza and dies). Kudos to Michael Bay and team for expanding the pedestrian role of April O’Neil in the film series, particularly with starlet Megan Fox. That provided plenty of mileage the first time around in hooking the millennials.

So it's slightly better than yesterday's estimates, but still below expectations (and way below earlier forecasts). Not a guarantee to crack $100m domestic, either. And even just hitting that isn't exactly good, considering the budget and comparison to the last movie's take.

I've seen the comparison already, but it's a pretty fair one: G.I. Joe: Retaliation made $40.5m on its opening weekend with a $130m budget. Except BayTurtles 2 didn't do that well, and had an even bigger drop than the one between G.I. Joe movies. So make of that what you will.

TigerClaw
06-05-2016, 09:42 AM
'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' takes box office with $35 million
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/06/05/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-me-before-you-popstar-box-office/85321376/

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows won the weekend box office with $35.3 million, according to studio estimates.

Foombamaroom
06-05-2016, 09:43 AM
...oh, come on. The whole section is gonna get shut down again at this rate. :trolleye:

*Has flashbacks to August, 2014.*

Seriously. Can we have a "Forum Gripes" thread somewhere for people to get this out of their systems, or something? The complaining about complaining (about complaining about complaining) hijacking every conversation is exhausting.

Hey, new box office estimates (https://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/)! Back on track, then?

So it's slightly better than yesterday's estimates, but still below expectations (and way below earlier forecasts). Not a guarantee to crack $100m domestic, either. And even just hitting that isn't exactly good, considering the budget and comparison to the last movie's take.

I've seen the comparison already, but it's a pretty fair one: G.I. Joe: Retaliation made $40.5m on its opening weekend with a $130m budget. Except BayTurtles 2 movie didn't do that well, and had an even bigger drop than the one between G.I. Joe movies. So make of that what you will.

Goddamn, this movie is getting obliterated. I wonder how fast it'll take them to reboot it?

Sumac
06-05-2016, 09:44 AM
I, for one, not interested in this movie, so there is nothing to discuss for me.
Since it still produced by Bay & Co, it's pretty safe what to expect from it and because of this I don't have any interest in the project.
Wake me up, when somebody else will handle the TMNT movies, where they won't look like deformed HULK monstrosities.

TigerClaw
06-05-2016, 09:45 AM
It made $35,250,000
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Bry
06-05-2016, 09:48 AM
'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' takes box office with $35 million
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/06/05/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-me-before-you-popstar-box-office/85321376/

From the source:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows won the weekend box office with $35.3 million, according to studio estimates.

But it was a shell of its former self.

Paramount Studio's sequel effort was a long cry from 2014's first Turtle reboot with producer Michael Bay, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which made $65 million in its opening weekend on its was to $493 million at the worldwide box office.

"In 2014, people were running out to see Ninja Turtles out of nostalgia for the past movies and TV show," says Jeff Bock, box office analyst for Exhibitor Relations. "But the fans are clearly not as enthusiastic about one every two years. This is a lesson for Hollywood which is suffering with sequels this summer."

In TMNT2, the sewer-dwelling crimefighters lost out on box office, but did improve with audience reaction. Movie-goers gave the 2014 version a B CinemaScore and the 2016 version received an A- grade. Critics still loathed Out of the Shadows, branding it with a lowly 36% critical score on the review aggregate site RottenTomatoes.com

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Will this even make $100 million domestically? It doesn't look like it.

Anyone seen any international figures yet?

Bry
06-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Will this even make $100 million domestically? It doesn't look like it.

Anyone seen any international figures yet?

$34m total in the foreign market so far, according to Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tmnt2016.htm). Not sure how many markets that is, though.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 10:07 AM
$34m total in the foreign market so far, according to Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tmnt2016.htm). Not sure how many markets that is, though.

It's supposed to be about 40 countries so it's not good but it's still got China, Japan, Australia and all the other euro countries yet.

TigerClaw
06-05-2016, 10:12 AM
It shows that the worldwide gross is $69,250,000

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 10:14 AM
It shows that the worldwide gross is $69,250,000

Yeah but that's Domestic and Overseas in total.

Overseas it's done $34M.

neatoman
06-05-2016, 10:14 AM
(Can't believe I had to shut off adblock for that site)

That is a very minor uptick and still only about half of what the previous movie made. The movie it beats out that weekend is X-Men Apocalypse, a movie that has been out for a week and also did twice as good in it's own opening weekend.

Bry
06-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Deadline added a bit more information. Snipped here:

Online, TMNT2 trailers were passed around at an OK rate of 10:1 according to Relish Mix. Looking at daily views, the top clips have 60K or less, which is a bit lower than the 100K+ threshold typically seen in similar summer films.

ranger_scout
06-05-2016, 10:22 AM
I think Deadline makes a good point that once more schools start letting kids out, this film might show some legs. The movie might also make some money through home video sales. IF a third film is to be made, then I recommend that these turtles go into the animated universe and have a crossover with the 2012 turtles. The live-action parts only need to be at the beginning and the very end.

Bry
06-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Keep in mind that there's bound to be a significant second-week drop, and the week after that Finding Dory is bound to destroy all kid-oriented movies in its path. Only time will tell, though.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 10:33 AM
I find out tomorrow how well it's done in the UK and against Warcraft.

biganimefan
06-05-2016, 10:35 AM
I think Deadline makes a good point that once more schools start letting kids out, this film might show some legs. The movie might also make some money through home video sales. IF a third film is to be made, then I recommend that these turtles go into the animated universe and have a crossover with the 2012 turtles. The live-action parts only need to be at the beginning and the very end.

Honestly, I do like the last 2 movies(especially this one), but I really hope that the current series stays away from many more crossovers personally. Besides, the 2K3 series was ruined animation-wise by trying to be more like the TMNT movie of '07. Nick would be wise staying far away from having much to do with these movies.

Anyway, back on topic. I have no idea really how the movie business works but couldn't the low box-office be "blamed" for having stiff competition with X-Men and other movies? But yeah, at this point I think the movie would be lucky if it broke $300 million internationally.

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 10:37 AM
I find out tomorrow how well it's done in the UK and against Warcraft.

Weekends not over yet I think that the one thing this one has going for it is it has more legs I think it will last longer at the box office. I have a feeling this will have better word of mouth from the casual movie going community.

ranger_scout
06-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Right now I am looking at films with similar opening weekends that opened in the last ten years that also had some legs. Here's a list:

*The Smurfs Sony $35,611,637 25.0% $142,614,158 7/29/2011

*Super 8 Par. $35,451,168 27.9% $127,004,179 6/10/2011

*Enchanted BV $34,440,317 26.9% $127,807,262 11/21/2007

*Puss in Boots P/DW $34,077,439 22.8% $149,260,504 10/28/2011

*Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 Sony $34,017,930 28.4% $119,793,567 9/27/2013

*Epic Fox $33,531,068 31.2% $107,518,682 5/24/2013

If it can perform similar to these films, then it can still be considered a success.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/?pagenum=m3040&sort=opengross&p=.htm&order=DESC

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 10:43 AM
I don't think China can save this one.

Meanwhile, Shadows earned even less in the summer season's opening month, which is arguably a more advantageous position. Its biggest competitors from last week are Alice Through the Looking Glass and X-Men: Apocalypse, both of which saw attendance drop-offs of more than 60%.

It didn't fare much better overseas, either. Opening in more than 50 markets outside of the U.S., Shadows only managed to bring in an estimated $34 million. In other words, there was a lot of opportunity for Turtles to capitalize on this weekend, but it failed to bring out any big crowds.

At this point Paramount has to be wondering if Out of the Shadows, which was said to be budgeted at $135 million, will manage to break even. The movie still isn't out in a number of key foreign markets — including China, which is historically friendly to American blockbusters — so all is not lost.

http://mashable.com/2016/06/05/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-shadows-box-office-opening/#XxvBB_3z.5ql

ranger_scout
06-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Variety has a statement from the people at Paramount.

Paramount Vice-Chairman Rob Moore acknowledged that the studio hoped the domestic launch would be bigger, but said that the film could make up ground in the coming weeks. The second “Ninja Turtles” played younger, with 51% of the opening weekend crowd coming in under 25 years old as opposed to 45% for the first picture.

“The good news is younger movies tend to play at better multiples,” said Moore, predicting that, “the gap [between the films] will narrow as we play out.”

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/box-office-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-popstar-1201788994/

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Right now I am looking at films with similar opening weekends that opened in the last ten years that also had some legs. Here's a list:

If it can perform similar to these films, then it can still be considered a success.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/?pagenum=m3040&sort=opengross&p=.htm&order=DESC
I think it will perform relatively well.

http://mashable.com/2016/06/05/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-shadows-box-office-opening/#XxvBB_3z.5ql
There is alot of mistake in that article.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Haha oh man. Only 10 million more than Fantfourstic that bombed at 25 million OW, with only like 70 theaters LESS than BayTurtles 2.

And opening at HALF what the first one made 2 years ago. :lol:

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 10:52 AM

That's wrong, it was about 40 countries, still bad though.

http://www.teenagemutantninjaturtlesmovie.com/_apps/releasedates/release-dates.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3949660/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 10:53 AM
I think it will perform relatively well.

What were the mistakes other than the number of international markets?

Bry
06-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Variety has a statement from the people at Paramount.

It begins.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41YyywDBaZIXZhhm/giphy.gif

A couple. He got the number of international markets wrong, yeah. And calling the first movie "a middling debut by summer standards" is technically true if looking at the full season, but he ignores the context that it was a high performance for August. So I'll give you that. But the rest seems on point.

slingtheory
06-05-2016, 11:15 AM
we've all seen the reviews. Those are written by people who watched the movie. Cubed and I were discussing reasons people would not have gone to see the movie. All the promotions did was introduce a bunch of fan favorite characters, so I don't think that's why.
I think that might be one of the reasons why. Because all the promotions did was push the characters I wouldn't be surprised if many people wrote the movie off as being more of the same. Now with the gimmick of MOAR nostalgia. I know I sure did. If you didn't like the way they handled the few character's they had the first go round adding more to the mix isn't going to be something people see as solving the problem.

The Deadman
06-05-2016, 11:19 AM
I don't think this movie has to worry about Warcraft...it has a 19% right now on Rotten Tomatoes, and wasn't projected to do well in the States...now Conjuring 2? Even though it's a horror film and not direct competition in terms of genre I have a feeling OOTS won't stand a chance, it'll probably come in at #2 but it won't over take Conjuring (that currently has a 85% on RT and a 9.1 on IMDB).

TigerClaw
06-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I don't think this movie has to worry about Warcraft...it has a 19% right now on Rotten Tomatoes, and wasn't projected to do well in the States...now Conjuring 2? Even though it's a horror film and not direct competition in terms of genre I have a feeling OOTS won't stand a chance, it'll probably come in at #2 but it won't over take Conjuring (that currently has a 85% on RT and a 9.1 on IMDB).
Independence Day: Resurgence also opening this month.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 11:24 AM
This weekend has been bad for movies in the US, X-Men and Alice both suffered big drops.

The Deadman
06-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Independence Day: Resurgence also opening this month.

OOTS will be a footnote by the time that comes out I'm afraid.

TigerClaw
06-05-2016, 11:30 AM
This weekend has been bad for movies in the US, X-Men and Alice both suffered big drops.
It'll be interesting to see how well Independence Day: Resurgence does at the box office, the 1st movie came out 20 years ago.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 11:32 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4194&p=.htm

In addition to its domestic total, Ninja Turtles 2 also opened in 40 international markets and earned an estimated $34 million. The UK delivered the highest returns with an estimated $5.3 million followed by Russia ($4.8m), Mexico ($4.5m), Indonesia ($2.3m) and Malaysia ($2.2m). The movie will continue to expand throughout the month and will release in China on July 2 where the first film brought in over $62 million.

It did $5.3 million in the UK (not including Sunday) That's since Monday.

But Warcraft is at no 1 so far, it done $5.5M so far.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-warcraft-x-men-apocalypse-me-before-you-international-box-office-weekend-results-1201767541/

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 11:36 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4194&p=.htm

Wow it did $5.3 million in the UK (not including Sunday) That's since Monday.

Do the international markets not include Sunday in their projections like they do in the US?

CyberCubed
06-05-2016, 11:37 AM
It amazes me TMNT has such a following in Russia.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Do the international markets not include Sunday in their projections like they do in the US?

I don't know, I know in the UK it takes a couple days to find what the weekend gross is.

Last Sunday it said Alice was at No 1 and X-Men at No 2 but a few days later it changed round.

ranger_scout
06-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Entertainment Weekly wrote an article about the box office performance. What they said in the last paragraph means that all is not lost.

After a weekend battle that pitted mutants against mutants, the reptilian crew of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows quietly overthrew the reigning champion to take the No. 1 spot at the North American box office, knocking X-Men: Apocalypse to No. 2.

Out of the Shadows’ estimated $35.3 million domestic weekend bow from 4,071 theaters comes in $30 million shy of its predecessor’s opening gross, aligning the film with the likes of Zoolander 2, Alice Through the Looking Glass, and Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising as high-profile cinematic continuations that have underperformed in the wake of their forerunners.

With a hefty $135 million budget, TMNT 2 will likely rely on its foreign grosses to recoup its budget, which thus far stands at $34 million as the film occupies 40 percent of its planned international footprint, with planned openings in major territories, including China on July 2, on deck. The film is, however, performing better with audiences (decent A- grade on CinemaScore as opposed to the first film’s ho-hum B) than anticipated, which could mean it holds on stronger than expected against upcoming action-epic Warcraft, which is widely expected to disappoint at the domestic box office next weekend.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/05/weekend-box-office-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 11:52 AM
http://i.giphy.com/13YslMlsViS24M.gif

Autbot_Benz
06-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Angry Joe hated it

Sk_2c0s_kZQ

Also its the number 1 movie in the box office for the weekend

Stephen Amell ‏@StephenAmell 2m2 minutes ago

#TMNT2 is the #1 Movie in North America. Thank you to everyone that saw it. If you haven't seen it, go! (Please.) xo
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Bry
06-05-2016, 12:32 PM
http://i.giphy.com/13YslMlsViS24M.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/3osxYeNDfuIaCEsuxG/giphy.gif

Barring some unforeseen turnaround, that is. :twink: