PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like Franco-Belgian comics(and other European comic book series) here?

Prowler
06-01-2016, 03:38 PM
As in series such as, you know, Astérix, Tintin, Lucky Luke, Spirou et Fantasio, Corto Maltese, etc?

I grew up with Astérix and Tintin, owning every Tintin book to date and most Astérix books save the last couple that came out since the sereis went down the gutter once Goschinny died and Uderzo began writing the script.

Haven't read much of Lucky Luke or Spirou, I'm afraid. I'm surprised Spirou still lasts to this day and hasn't stopped since its creator, André Franquin, has died. That's like Tintin continuing after Hergé died. I'm glad that didn't happen.

Then there's other series such as Gaston Lagaffe, Michel Vaillaint, Corto Maltese(Italian), Black & Mortimer, Iznogoud, etc. that I've never gotten my hands on despite them being available in several bookstores across my country.

For those that wonder, European comics have their own distinctive style and format, much like Japanese and American ones do. Don't ever pick one expecting to read a shonen manga or a French equivalent of Batman. Or you'll end up disappointed.

So, any other fans here?

TonySiegel
06-01-2016, 06:03 PM
i want to get into tintin... he's my boy... still havent seen the latest film...

i want to read Jodorowsky's Incal series...

some old mafalda and condorito for the south american side of things would be fun, but that is a comment for another thread i suppose...

Cryomancer
06-01-2016, 06:34 PM
I've got a guy who wants to translate French material for me, but I don't know much about the whole scene so I have pretty much nothing to give him to work on. Are there some good French-language comics that you guys think might interest our translation group? I think most of the notable ones I heard of turned out to already have English translations available officially or otherwise. We generally like to do things related to video games (or TMNT) but I'm open to other things too, if it seems interesting.

TurtleTitan97
06-01-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm a big fan of Tintin.

Prowler
06-02-2016, 02:48 AM
i want to get into tintin... he's my boy... still havent seen the latest film...

i want to read Jodorowsky's Incal series...

some old mafalda and condorito for the south american side of things would be fun, but that is a comment for another thread i suppose...
Tintin is a pretty good series. And since it only had one author for the entirety of its run(Hergé), it's pretty consistent. The earlier comics, while still definitely good, aren't as fun as the series gets midway through it with the introduction of Captain Haddock.

Oh Mafalda! I own a big omnibus of her strips. But that's not really a comic book series. But newspaper comic strips.

I'm a big fan of Tintin.
I honestly never got around to watch the animated film. I've heard it's good, but the idea of watching Tintin in English is pretty weird to me.