PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't the "April and Casey in custody" plot cut?

neatoman
06-03-2016, 12:15 PM
The movie is almost two hours long, Casey April spend quite a lot of it in police custody while Vern helps to clear their names so he can bail them out. Why was any of this left in the movie? It's boring, mostly pointless (if not entirely so) and there was no need for filler considering it could have easily been ninety minutes without this subplot.

Anything else you could have been cut?

pdizzle
06-03-2016, 12:32 PM
I personally feel everything had, and served it's purpose. I wouldn't want any of it cut. But I'm sure a lot of people would probably agree with you more than me tho tbh.

Vicky82
06-03-2016, 12:41 PM
No none of it should have been cut as there was some importance to the story

Because they did need Vern to get the hidden camera footage from Baxters Lab, because that detective didn't believe them.

Shark_Blade
06-03-2016, 12:53 PM
The holding room scene is important and Vern's scene is priceless. Many people laughed during the find the secret camera source sequence.

ZariusTwo
06-03-2016, 12:56 PM
The movie is almost two hours long, Casey April spend quite a lot of it in police custody while Vern helps to clear their names so he can bail them out. Why was any of this left in the movie? It's boring, mostly pointless (if not entirely so) and there was no need for filler considering it could have easily been ninety minutes without this subplot.

Anything else you could have been cut?

As everyone in this thread has pointed out to you, the Vernon subplot was required so he'd have the perks necessary to help his friends, something that made his role mean something more than just the perks of an agreement.

Or would you rather have had Baxter and Shredder look dumb for not tampering with the security footage?

neatoman
06-03-2016, 02:15 PM
OK, but if they never ended up in custody there would have been no need for Vernon to get the security footage. Anything that footage revealed is pointless because the police had already seen the mutant turtles and they don't interact with turtles until after the alien invasion started, so believing the rhino and warthog story probably would't be much of an issue after that.

Tell me, wouldn't have a better paced movie if the events happened like this, without the custody crap:

Raph and Mikey break into NYPD and are seen.
They go to Brazil.
The alien invasion starts and they offer to help the police who have already seen them.

There's no real narrative importance because anything it supposedly solved can happen after the turtles get back to NYC or ignored in the first place, in fact it does. Casey captures Bebop and Rocksteady making pointless to prove their existence before, the Turtles convince the police they're the good guys in the face of a bigger threat, Shredder sends Baxter off to Japan and Shredder himself gets frozen by Krang so the police don't catch either one of them.

The most rational defense of this subplot I've seen is that it gives Vernon more to do but honestly, did we really want more of him? Did we really need more scenes of an annoying douchebag? Did we really need a drawn out bit of him ripping out a cord from the wall and a creepy joke about "Falcon breath"?

mrmaczaps
06-05-2016, 06:28 AM
If they had cut that scene, the police lady wouldn't have asked "where do they come from" and Casey/Amell wouldn't have been able to shrug and say "New Hampshire". And I was the only one in the crowd that laughed at that. The. Only. One. Stupid clueless newbs... lol

Shark_Blade
06-05-2016, 06:52 AM
If they had cut that scene, the police lady wouldn't have asked "where do they come from" and Casey/Amell wouldn't have been able to shrug and say "New Hampshire". And I was the only one in the crowd that laughed at that. The. Only. One. Stupid clueless newbs... lol

I didn't get that too. :P Isn't that the place where they went to heal Leo? April's old family house or something?

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 07:11 AM
I didn't get that too. :P Isn't that the place where they went to heal Leo? April's old family house or something?

No that's Northampton.

mrmaczaps
06-05-2016, 09:12 AM

No, they were originally created when Laird & Eastman were living in New Hampshire. :) i laughed my butt off. No one else thought anything of it. LOL

Bry
06-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Not having seen it, I'm assuming... giving the three "marketing leads" more screen time in a movie they have very little to do in? Combined with spending time "away" from the Turtles to save some CGI money?

Ninjinister
06-05-2016, 07:14 PM
No none of it should have been cut as there was some importance to the story

Because they did need Vern to get the hidden camera footage from Baxters Lab, because that detective didn't believe them.

Detective? She was the chief.

Vicky82
06-06-2016, 03:19 AM
Detective? She was the chief.

When I wrote that (a few days ago) I couldn't remember.