PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone agree that Out of the Shadows was even worse than the first one?

neatoman
06-04-2016, 02:45 AM
So the first one sucked but I didn't hate it, I watched the second one and it was just wretched. It felt drawn out, had countless plotholes and felt the need to bombard you with horrible joke after horrible joke. At least the first one, as bad as it was, wasn't so crammed and annoying.

Most of the defense I hear is that it pays homage to the Fred Wolf cartoon but even if I thought the Fred Wolf cartoon was worth basing a movie around (which I don't) you still have to make a good movie, which it wasn't. Even if I thought this movie was an improvement over the last one, I still wouldn't think this movie was actually good because it still fails on so many accounts.

FredWolfLeonardo
06-04-2016, 02:46 AM
I haven't yet watched the movie but look at Cinema Snob's new video, he thinks OOTS is much worse than the first film and he said that its probably gonna be even worse than the new ghostbusters film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFpj4ypsLE

I probably won't share his views, I am impressed by the trailers I have seen so far and I usually overlook the flaws and look at films for how much I enjoyed them. Even Phelous liked the film much better than Cinema Snob, and he thought the movie was crap.

vicsavage
06-04-2016, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure if it's worse, but I'd agree it's as bad, and the differences between the two is they're lousy in different ways.

Vicky82
06-04-2016, 06:44 AM
Nope I think this movie is better because there was a lot more focus on the turtles and more interactions between them and I loved that. But as I said in previous posts the movie still had issues.

ZariusTwo
06-04-2016, 06:51 AM
I don't have many strong feelings about the 2014 one, I'm mostly indifferent to it, and at one point I'd even forgotten I had watched it when it came out when I recently went back and rewatched it, I had to look up posts I made in 2014 over here to kickstart my memory where that's concerned.

OOTS was a fun time and I'd take my friends to see it if I went again. It's not a patch on the likes of Deadpool or Civil War, but it's better than BVS, Warcraft and Angry Birds

Shark_Blade
06-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Both movies are great (they tie for me), better than the classic movies tbh. I'd rank it like this:

1. TMNT 2014 / TMNT 2016 Out of the Shadows
2. TMNT 1990
3. TMNT 2007
4. TMNT 3 Turtles in Time
5. TMNT 2 Secret of the Ooze

TMNT 2014, I'm fine with their focus on April since she's so captivating and convincing. The turtles appear a bit later which is great to add on the mysterious element of who and what they are. The Shredder boss fight was amazing, the best in the series imo.

TMNT 2016 shifted the focus on the turtles this time and they are superb. Less jarring potholes than the first one and it's overall an amazing experience. However, I must say the Kraang boss fight was brief and not as epic as the last one. If it was, it'd be #1 for sure.

It's a tie for me, both has pros and cons and are equally fantastic.

d_osborn
06-04-2016, 10:04 AM
OOTS is a fun movie directed squarely at kids. It's not even close to being the trainwreck that TMNT14 was.

Foombamaroom
06-04-2016, 10:18 AM
I keep hearing that this one treats the characters a little bit better, but is a worse "movie" (writing, directing, etc.) than the first one.

Both movies are great (they tie for me), better than the classic movies tbh. I'd rank it like this:

2. TMNT 1990
3. TMNT 2007

TMNT 2014, I'm fine with their focus on April since she's so captivating and convincing. The turtles appear a bit later which is great to add on the mysterious element of who and what they are. The Shredder boss fight was amazing, the best in the series imo.

TMNT 2016 shifted the focus on the turtles this time and they are superb. Less jarring potholes than the first one and it's overall an amazing experience. However, I must say the Kraang boss fight was brief and not as epic as the last one. If it was, it'd be #1 for sure.

It's a tie for me, both has pros and cons and are equally fantastic.

What in GOD'S NAME did I just read?

ZariusTwo
06-04-2016, 10:49 AM

2. TMNT 1990
3. TMNT 2007

The original is'nt on there at all.

Da f*ck dude?

I mean, I like OOTS too, but...da f*ck?

The Deadman
06-04-2016, 01:41 PM
This movie isn't bad at all, it's not great but it's not bad either. The only problem I have is how you can tell who's voicing Krang, and some parts around the Shredder but I don't wanna spoil.

Powder
06-04-2016, 04:08 PM
I think it's worse in some ways, but overall, 2014's installment takes the crap-cake. This one, for all it's flaws, was pretty entertaining as it wasn't an April O'neil movie.

Foombamaroom
06-04-2016, 04:10 PM
I think it's worse in some ways, but overall, 2014's installment takes the crap-cake. This one, for all it's flaws, was pretty entertaining as it wasn't an April O'neil movie.

You know something's wrong when it takes a S E Q U E L to give focus to the Turtles.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-04-2016, 06:32 PM
The original is'nt on there at all.

Da f*ck dude?

I mean, I like OOTS too, but...da f*ck?

Um, it's #2 on his list. Look again Zar.

CyberCubed
06-04-2016, 06:35 PM
TMNT 2014 was one of the worst TMNT products ever, I'm even tempted to put it below Next Mutations at times.

Out of the Shadows is a guilty pleasure, it really is what TMNT II was for the 90's generation.

MrTMNT2012
06-04-2016, 06:49 PM
There are actually less narrative problems in the first film than OOTS and WAY more badass ninja fighting.

But the characterisation, character arcs, pacing, acting and actual dialogue were eons better in OOTS.

TMNTInsighter
06-04-2016, 07:28 PM
What in GOD'S NAME did I just read?

You're right! That guy is clearly out of his mind and has no idea what he's talking about! How he can think these things is beyond me!

Megan deservedly won the freakin' Razzie! Even before that suckfest hit, she showed just how much of a terrible human being she is when she insulted the critics (who were right by the way!) when asked about the movies' deserved dissenters. How about she show some acting skills before showing off her terrible people skills?
The turtles' characterizations were awful and made the movie progress down a worse path than before. And only those adolescent Baywashed would've been impressed by the Shredder fight.

TurtlePower85
06-04-2016, 08:00 PM
I thought OOTS was far superior to its first counterpart. Full theater where I live and everyone seemed to love it.

MikeandRaph87
06-04-2016, 08:16 PM
No,I liked this one better. Its not 1990 or Secret of The Ooze, but it has unique takes on four characters getting a film debut and does a solid job. Disappointed in Shredder not fighting the turtles. Not much to gripe about when setting it out by itself or next to the 2014 film. It is unfortunate it is no performing well as it is a better film.

mrmaczaps
06-04-2016, 09:22 PM
So the first one sucked but I didn't hate it, I watched the second one and it was just wretched. It felt drawn out, had countless plotholes and felt the need to bombard you with horrible joke after horrible joke. At least the first one, as bad as it was, wasn't so crammed and annoying.

Most of the defense I hear is that it pays homage to the Fred Wolf cartoon but even if I thought the Fred Wolf cartoon was worth basing a movie around (which I don't) you still have to make a good movie, which it wasn't. Even if I thought this movie was an improvement over the last one, I still wouldn't think this movie was actually good because it still fails on so many accounts.

Flip your argument. The first film sucked dead monkey nuts. This one was far from awesome but still managed to be better than the first. Had this come first, with a short origin chucked it things would have been far smoother...

Allio
06-04-2016, 09:40 PM
the second film is the lesser of two evils

Andrew NDB
06-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Question: do the Turtles (besides Donatello) even use their weapons on anyone that isn't Krang's robot body? Does Michelangelo smack anyone with his nunchuks?

I found it interesting in that trailer that touts "Everything a fan wants" that when it said "NUNCHUKS" it cut to a shot of the corny arm things on the Turtlevan and not, y'know, the Turtle with the nunchuks using them.

samxsteal
06-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Question: do the Turtles (besides Donatello) even use their weapons on anyone that isn't Krang's robot body? Does Michelangelo smack anyone with his nunchuks?

I found it interesting in that trailer that touts "Everything a fan wants" that when it said "NUNCHUKS" it cut to a shot of the corny arm things on the Turtlevan and not, y'know, the Turtle with the nunchuks using them.

A actually Mikey and Raph "play" with their weapons alot. They twirl them around often when not fighting and Mikey and Raph use them quite a bit actually throughout the movie.

Andrew NDB
06-04-2016, 09:58 PM
A actually Mikey and Raph "play" with their weapons alot. They twirl them around often when not fighting and Mikey and Raph use them quite a bit actually throughout the movie.

So... they play around with them a lot. Do they hit or strike anybody with them?

mrmaczaps
06-04-2016, 09:59 PM

I JUST saw it tonight and I don't recall them directly using their weapons on anyone... but then, there's only a few scenes with Raph and Mikey with any villains besides a couple of foot soldiers and then Bebop & Rocksteady... no, they don't. Lol. Damn.

Andrew NDB
06-04-2016, 10:02 PM
I JUST saw it tonight and I don't recall them directly using their weapons on anyone... but then, there's only a few scenes with Raph and Mikey with any villains besides a couple of foot soldiers and then Bebop & Rocksteady... no, they don't. Lol. Damn.

So the Ninja Turtles don't actually use their weapons on anyone in the new Ninja Turtles movie. Great. That's great.

The prosecution rests.

samxsteal
06-04-2016, 10:03 PM
So... they play around with them a lot. Do they hit or strike anybody with them?

Yes they do in the police station. they do while fighting Bebop and Rocksteady. The fight at the end they do.

Andrew NDB
06-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Yes they do in the police station. they do while fighting Bebop and Rocksteady. The fight at the end they do.

So just on mutants and Krang's robot body, then? Who specifically used weapons on Bebop and Rocksteady besides Donatello?

samxsteal
06-04-2016, 10:08 PM
So just on mutants and Krang's robot body, then? Who specifically used weapons on Bebop and Rocksteady besides Donatello?

There were parts when they were In the police station in which just about every turtle use their weapons. And they all use them during there fights with BB and RS. And the final fight they all use their weapons.

CyberCubed
06-04-2016, 10:23 PM

The Turtles are huge hulk beasts in this version, when we see them hit the Foot (which is only in a few scenes), they literally just swing their arms at them and knock them across the room.

Other than that the Turtles only fight scenes are against Bebop/Rocksteady and then Krang at the end. The Turtles never fight Shredder, Karai, or Baxter. And the Foot are in very few scenes with the Turtles.

Andrew NDB
06-04-2016, 10:40 PM
There were parts when they were In the police station in which just about every turtle use their weapons.

Define "using" them. And on whom?

Powder
06-04-2016, 10:56 PM
They don't really "use" them in battle, they kinda just hold them while jumping around. I think Leo cuts off the hand of Krang's robot, but that's all I can remember. The weapons are featured often enough, just not for combat purposes.

chrisdude
06-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Does this kind of stuff make it into other PG-13 movies?

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
06-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Does this kind of stuff make it into other PG-13 movies?

Apocalypse pretty much decapitated people (well, turned their necks into sand and the heads fell off) in X-Men: Apocalypse...and just take a look at some of the scenes in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Pretty brutal for PG-13.

I hated Batman V. Superman, but you had Batman killing tons of folks (including the fight scene he had against goons in the third act...the only sequence I liked). Even Superman breaking someone's neck in Man of Steel.

The recent Captain America films had impact in their fights, blood on their faces/from their mouths in certain scenes, and (from the sounds of it) more actual Martial Arts/Fight Contact/Choreography/etc. than this flick (with Ninja in the title).

That's just a handful of PG-13 films off of the top of my head.

chrisdude
06-05-2016, 12:12 AM
Apocalypse pretty much decapitated people (well, turned their necks into sand and the heads fell off) in X-Men: Apocalypse...and just take a look at some of the scenes in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Pretty brutal for PG-13.

I hated Batman V. Superman, but you had Batman killing tons of folks (including the fight scene he had against goons in the third act...the only sequence I liked). Even Superman breaking someone's neck in Man of Steel.

The recent Captain America films had impact in their fights, blood on their faces/from their mouths in certain scenes, and (from the sounds of it) more actual Martial Arts/Fight Contact/Choreography/etc. than this flick (with Ninja in the title).

That's just a handful of PG-13 films off of the top of my head.Yeah. Saw all that. None of that has the same shock value as getting hit in the face with nunchucks. An image I can't recall ever seeing, anywhere. Blame our culture, if you want.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Yeah. Saw all that. None of that has the same shock value as getting hit in the face with nunchucks. An image I can't recall ever seeing, anywhere. Blame our culture, if you want.

Necks turning to sand and heads falling off doesn't have as much shock value as a piece of wood hitting somebody in the face by a cartoon talking turtle?

Galactus
06-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Thing is on the one hand you've got the idea that TMNT Out of the Shadows is marketed towards kids and on the other hand you've also got the idea that it's marketed towards thirty somethings who like to incessantly remind everyone this is marketed to kids so shouldn't have actual combat and use that as a smokescreen because that it's how they want it based on what they remember when they were kids.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
06-05-2016, 12:25 AM
Yeah. Saw all that. None of that has the same shock value as getting hit in the face with nunchucks. An image I can't recall ever seeing, anywhere. Blame our culture, if you want.

yklgt6t4fL4

Yeah...because a scene like this (Colossus getting his head caved in, Iceman having his head off off and crushed, a guy burned alive, etc.) is less shocking than simple 'hit to the face'.

C'mon now.

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 07:06 AM
Define "using" them. And on whom?

Omg dude they use them like they always do whTbmore do you I'm not going to start discribing as scene by scene exactly what happens. I practice and use nunchaku and Mikey used them appropriately Raph does his thing I know some have never thought Raph uses his sai authentically. But he does use them I'd say about an equal amount t at the 1990s movie. But they use them in different situations.

Bry
06-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Thing is on the one hand you've got the idea that TMNT Out of the Shadows is marketed towards kids and on the other hand you've also got the idea that it's marketed towards thirty somethings who like to incessantly remind everyone this is marketed to kids so shouldn't have actual combat and use that as a smokescreen because that it's how they want it based on what they remember when they were kids.

:tlol:

That's actually a perfect encapsulation, yeah.

Candy Kappa
06-05-2016, 07:19 AM
I practice and use nunchaku.

Neat.

Freestyle dancing or "real" techniques?

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Neat.

Freestyle dancing or "real" techniques?

Both I try to practice both. If I can but Mikey has never used his in an 100% authentic technique. Hell what Bruce Lee did was probably the most practical but is probably the least authenic, when it comes to technique. But yes he does use them heck Noel has show he has skills with them that were mostly unseen or at very least subtle last time this time he has them in his hand often. And doing stuff with then weather is defensive spinning or figure eights. Or strikes. He does both.

Does he practice Okinawan nunchaku no but that not 100% practical and Mikey has never practice Okinawan nunchaku.

Technogeek29
06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Both I try to practice both. If I can but Mikey has never used his in an 100% authentic technique. Hell what Bruce Lee did was probably the most practical but is probably the least authenic, when it comes to technique. But yes he does use them heck Noel has show he has skills with them that were mostly unseen or at very least subtle last time this time he has them in his hand often. And doing stuff with then weather is defensive spinning or figure eights. Or strikes. He does both.

Does he practice Okinawan nunchaku no but that not 100% practical and Mikey has never practice Okinawan nunchaku.

Cool, I took lessons for a Bo and Archery.

samxsteal
06-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Cool, I took lessons for a Bo and Archery.

I did Bo staff when I was younger. Sword fighting nothing tradition mostly self taught nothing crazy. I really want to do archery but bows are expensive lol arrows too.l

Danetello
06-05-2016, 01:06 PM
I don't hate the first one, but I do tend to lean towards it being fairly poor over all. This new one however, taken for what it is, just as a movie to watch, is really quite fun. It's neat to see some fan favourite characters in a live action movie, and I like that the serious tone was played down a little. I know people would argue that the original comic and movie TMNT had a darker tone, but I'd say over all that peoples' expectations, based on the most popular and prominent areas of the franchise, is that there will be some dumb humour. I expected it. I got over it, and all is well with the world. I thought it was an enjoyable movie, even if not the best in the world.

Chris
06-05-2016, 01:52 PM
OOTS is a fun movie directed squarely at kids. It's not even close to being the trainwreck that TMNT14 was.

I think this sums it up pretty much perfectly

jenna
06-05-2016, 02:50 PM
It depends on your criteria. I don't think it's possible to define what makes a "good" TMNT movie, because the universe has grown so wide and broad since the first issue of the first comic book. What's good to a Mirage fan might bore a Fred Wolf fan; what's good to a Fred Wolf fan might bore a Mirage fan.

So I can only answer by my own personal criteria.

I agree that OOTS is superior to PD'14 for its characterisation, turtle screen time, marginal improvements in turtle design. I also really enjoyed the police station break-in scene.

But that's pretty much the extent of it.

I did not enjoy OOTS as much as the first because it lacked strong martial arts sequences (granted, the first one wasn't brilliant in this regard, but at least it had some - I particularly enjoyed the subway sequence); the humour was too young for me (but then I am 35); and it focused on plot aspects which are less interesting to me (aliens, other dimensions etc).

Am I saying it was a bad movie? No. Am I saying the first one was good? No. Just that I've enjoyed other tmnt incarnations more than OOTS, including PD'14. So, yes, I agree with you that OOTS is worse. Just by my criteria. What can I say? I like the ninja stuff.

THGhost
06-05-2016, 09:08 PM
I'd say that it's better than the first one in almost every conceivable way.

myconius
06-05-2016, 11:19 PM

yeah, there was a scene after the credits where the Turtles all use their weapons to dice up Vern and spread his remains over a pizza.

aside from many issues i had with the plot, and forcing way too many characters into the film, it still was very entertaining.

biggest problems i had was Shredder getting played like a complete stooge!

Technogeek29
06-06-2016, 03:49 AM
In a way I hate them both for two different reasons so I'm neutral.

Zak The Neutrino
06-06-2016, 10:18 AM
It was better than the 2014 one IMO. However still not a good movie. There were parts that I enjoyed but the RT scores of the movie are pretty accurate.

However if this was aimed at kids I would have to say they hit the nail on the head. My youngest son won't watch the 2014 version. He hates it and will get bored with it quick. He really wanted to see this one after seeing all the commercials on Nickelodeon. He loved the movie and was laughing at all the stupid jokes. Even my older son who doesn't like CBM's enjoyed this movie.

I'm just glad to see the news that it didn't do well at the box office this morning. Maybe we can get a reboot some time soon.

THGhost
06-06-2016, 10:52 AM
^ "CBM's"?

I hate when superior sequels don't do as well as the first at the box office. Seems mighty unfair to me.

Zak The Neutrino
06-06-2016, 11:00 AM
^ "CBM's"?

I hate when superior sequels don't do as well as the first at the box office. Seems mighty unfair to me.

CBM - Comic Book Movie

The problem is if you didn't like the first one why would you go to the sequel? Especially with how much movie tickets are these days. My theater just put in all dream lounger seats so now the cheapest tickets are $10 for the morning showings. For evenings you can pay up to $17 for a ticket if you are seeing 3D with the DLX super screen.

THGhost
06-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Hmmm... - https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/box-office-mutant-ninja-turtles-bump-marvel-muties-for-1-spot/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=TMNT0606&utm_campaign=Movie&adid=social_Twitter_Movie_TMNT0606