PDA

View Full Version : Tmnt 2 is making less than half what the original made

MathUser
06-05-2016, 09:04 AM
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-ninja-turtles-x-men-me-before-you-1201788792/

Where did Micheal Bay go wrong. I was sure this would be bigger than the original. Perhaps the new series is dead?

Edit: I can't edit the topic but I meant that the movie is making a little more than half of what the original movie made.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 09:08 AM
You could of put this in the Box Office Thread and anyway it's pretty old news as we have been discussing it.

MathUser
06-05-2016, 09:11 AM
But I wanna know what Micheal Bay did wrong. I thought there was a lot of hype for this movie.

ZariusTwo
06-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Fatigue with this year's blockbusters is setting in, not to mention there's not much goodwill carrying over from the last one.

Bry
06-05-2016, 09:14 AM
But I wanna know what Micheal Bay did wrong.

k1yvvNvlXtg

IndigoErth
06-05-2016, 12:41 PM
But I wanna know what Micheal Bay did wrong.
Screwed up on the first. Make the first too flawed or not as good as you tried to make them believe and the casual movie goer, who has to consider what to spend their money on (or not), may not trust you to come through next time. (Or hardcore fans for that matter.)

Who knows... maybe many are just holding off to see what others are saying first.

TurtleTitan97
06-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Where did Micheal Bay go wrong.

You mean aside from everything?

The guy's a hack who only thinks he's great cause his films make a lot of money.

oldmanwinters
06-05-2016, 01:19 PM
At this rate, it may be lucky to outgross the 2007 Imagi film!

One thing that confuses me is the Yahoo! headline for today, which claims the movie has made $65.6 million.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/adamwinters/YahooTurtlesBoxOfficeBig_zps8aalwubs.png (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/adamwinters/media/YahooTurtlesBoxOfficeBig_zps8aalwubs.png.html)

Is that just a typo or would it be a global estimate?

Here's the article, which puts the global haul at $69.3 million:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-wins-ho-hum-154601292.html

shredder orokusaki
06-05-2016, 02:03 PM
i just saw the movi. Not surpise it is making much less since Shredder didnt fight at all. that alien monster krang locked him in a cage instead of team up with Shredhead and fight the turtles together!!! i hate him!!! grrrrr!!! a movie where tiny slicy Saki dont fight the turtles?! it desevers to fail!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Mew
06-05-2016, 02:05 PM
i just saw the movi. NOT SURPISE IT IS MAKING MUCH LESS SINCE I DIDNT FIGHT AT ALL. THAT ALIEN MONSTER KRANG LOCKED ME IN A CAGE INSTEAD OF TEAM UP WITH ME AND FIGHT THE TURTLES TOGETHER!!! I HATE HIM!!! GRRRRR!!! A MOVIE WHERE I DONT FIGHT THE TURTLES?! IT DESEVERS TO FAIL!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
Calm down and drink your apple juice, boy.

Vicky82
06-05-2016, 02:11 PM
i just saw the movi. NOT SURPISE IT IS MAKING MUCH LESS SINCE I DIDNT FIGHT AT ALL. THAT ALIEN MONSTER KRANG LOCKED ME IN A CAGE INSTEAD OF TEAM UP WITH ME AND FIGHT THE TURTLES TOGETHER!!! I HATE HIM!!! GRRRRR!!! A MOVIE WHERE I DONT FIGHT THE TURTLES?! IT DESEVERS TO FAIL!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Not a good time for the Shredder is it, Frozen in the movie, killed in the IDW comic and injured is in Nicktoon. :lol:

Autbot_Benz
06-05-2016, 02:13 PM

http://i.imgur.com/qpb6Cn8.gif Please get some mental health evaluation you annoying little ****

MathUser
06-05-2016, 02:35 PM
At this rate, it may be lucky to outgross the 2007 Imagi film!

One thing that confuses me is the Yahoo! headline for today, which claims the movie has made $65.6 million.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/adamwinters/YahooTurtlesBoxOfficeBig_zps8aalwubs.png (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/adamwinters/media/YahooTurtlesBoxOfficeBig_zps8aalwubs.png.html)

Is that just a typo or would it be a global estimate?

Here's the article, which puts the global haul at $69.3 million:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-wins-ho-hum-154601292.html

It says right in the article that 69.3 is the global haul. That's what they get for making the turtles too human. People don't want that.

IndigoErth
06-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Doing it as RP does not un-spoiler a spoiler... Minor as it may be.

Well, if anything, someone at Yahoo likes the Turtles enough to use the global earnings to make it sound bigger, I guess. Though it's not like only U.S. money counts. Not sure why so much is invested in opening weekends anyhow. A lot of people prefer to skip the crowd and may show up later.

pdizzle
06-05-2016, 03:03 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oldmanwinters
06-05-2016, 03:45 PM
It says right in the article that 69.3 is the global haul. That's what they get for making the turtles too human. People don't want that.

But 69.3 does not equal 65.6, so I'm wondering where the discrepancy comes from if they are supposed to be the same figure. Nothing on Yahoo! surprises me anymore.

MathUser
06-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Can someone edit my topic title to say little more than half of what the original made? Seems there's been a mistake.

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 03:54 PM
But 69.3 does not equal 65.6, so I'm wondering where the discrepancy comes from if they are supposed to be the same figure. Nothing on Yahoo! surprises me anymore.

It was just a typo. $65.6 was the opening for the 2014 film.

oldmanwinters
06-05-2016, 04:25 PM
It was just a typo. $65.6 was the opening for the 2014 film.

:tthumbsu::tthumbsu:

thundermaster612
06-05-2016, 05:47 PM

LAY OFF. THE DRUGS.

can we plz have tmnt 3 tho

Bry
06-05-2016, 05:51 PM
can we plz have tmnt 3 tho

Alternately...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/3867241/reboot-o.gif

CyberCubed
06-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm positive they'll make at least one more movie in this Bay universe before they consider another reboot. Its a lot easier to make one more sequel now that the designs of the Turtles and human actors are finalized rather than starting from scratch again.

Bry
06-05-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm positive they'll make at least one more movie in this Bay universe before they consider another reboot. Its a lot easier to make one more sequel now that the designs of the Turtles and human actors are finalized rather than starting from scratch again.

Except this movie cost more than the last one, even with a similar design/actor situation, and there's a chance it might not even turn a profit. Time will well, but based on the lower-than-expected performance so far, a sequel getting the green light is not the sure thing that it was last time.

Commenter 42
06-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Looking at the market right now, nothing is doing well, but let's be honest, ...

This is the CBM fatigue I said was setting in.
People are full up on bad movies, and unless your 6 or the ultimate TMNT fan, who could be bothered?

It looks like a rental, at most.

X-men too.

Alice 2 looks like a "OMG please no" on a scale of 1 to waterboarding.

They want people to get excited about going to the movies, you need to make exciting movies.

CyberCubed
06-05-2016, 06:15 PM
True, but there's no guarantee another reboot will do any better. They would have to let the franchise rest for a few years regardless rather than making another reboot right away.

The way I see it Nick sees the movie as also promotion for the cartoon and vice versa, so having one final movie in 2018 sort of makes sense. The Nick cartoon will be in Season 7 by then if its still going on...I could see that being the grand finale of the Viacom/Nick era if that's the case.

Commenter 42
06-05-2016, 06:21 PM
True, but there's no guarantee another reboot will do any better. They would have to let the franchise rest for a few years regardless rather than making another reboot right away.

The way I see it Nick sees the movie as also promotion for the cartoon and vice versa, so having one final movie in 2018 sort of makes sense. The Nick cartoon will be in Season 7 by then if its still going on...I could see that being the grand finale of the Viacom/Nick era if that's the case.

Pretty much no.

If this tanks, it's over. Nick doesn't need marketing for turtles; Viacom need sto keep from going insolvent.

Want to know how this plays out? If they lose on this, the valuation of Viacom sinks low enough to trigger a buy from one of it's Chinese suitors, that's how.

MrTMNT2012
06-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Pretty much no.

If this tanks, it's over. Nick doesn't need marketing for turtles; Viacom need sto keep from going insolvent.

Want to know how this plays out? If they lose on this, the valuation of Viacom sinks low enough to trigger a buy from one of it's Chinese suitors, that's how.

Which could pretty much lead to the Nick series dying since it's already not doing too hot anyway, and that'll be the end of TMNT as a whole for many years.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Which could pretty much lead to the Nick series dying since it's already not doing too hot anyway, and that'll be the end of TMNT as a whole for many years.

If that happens, probably should have given the movie license to a studio that makes good movies.

Only themselves to blame.

myconius
06-05-2016, 06:28 PM

PERFECT!!!!! :lol:

but in all honesty, would apple juice really be the option with all the kool-aid he's probably already had???

myconius
06-05-2016, 06:35 PM

the space arc in the Nick series dragged out way too long! that needed to end a lot sooner.

but hopefully they start telling simpler more self contained stories rather than have overly bloated stories that interconnect. those are hard to watch when they air in re-runs. at least they are for me anyway.

next episode up is 'city at war' supposedly, we'll see how that plays out?

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Looking at the market right now, nothing is doing well, but let's be honest, ...

This is the CBM fatigue I said was setting in.
People are full up on bad movies, and unless your 6 or the ultimate TMNT fan, who could be bothered?

It looks like a rental, at most.

X-men too.

Alice 2 looks like a "OMG please no" on a scale of 1 to waterboarding.

They want people to get excited about going to the movies, you need to make exciting movies.

There isn't CBM fatigue. There's bad movie fatigue.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-05-2016, 07:03 PM
No there really is CBM fatigue. Mr. Duckie said he's getting a bit tired of them and most casual fans and movie-goers probably feel the same way. It's overload. Overdoing it on a sugary dessert that eventually gives one a stomachache.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 07:10 PM
No there really is CBM fatigue.

Oh yeah

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2016.htm

there sure is

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_america_civil_war/

Superhero

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/deadpool/

fatigue

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=deadpool2016.htm

Even BvS, despite getting bashed by critics, earned a decent amount of money. 166M OW. Fairly close to Civil War in BO revenue.

It's not superhero fatigue. It's sh*tty movie fatigue.

Bry
06-05-2016, 07:12 PM

They don't have to do that. Sony teamed with Marvel to reboot Spidey before their Amazing Spider-Man series' corpse was cold.

That said, I'd be happy if they did slow down before giving it another shot. I want a TMNT movie made by people who will take their time and develop a quality film. Give the people something special, something that surprises them. Unless these movies have squandered the general audiences' goodwill entirely, that is.

If that happens, probably should have given the movie license to a studio that makes good movies.

Only themselves to blame.

Yep, exactly. It's repeating what happened last time -- too many cynical, lazy, low-quality cash-ins turned the property into a joke and drove the audience away. If they want to avoid another crash of the TMNT brand, their best bet is a full movie reboot, IMO. New production company, new creative team, start fresh.

There isn't CBM fatigue. There's bad movie fatigue.

Yeah, I mostly agree with this. I think people might be getting tired of pretty much only getting comic movies, but the good ones are still performing well. People like this stuff, but now they can afford to be picky. Which is a good thing, I think -- that means everyone has to try harder.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2016.htm

there sure is

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_america_civil_war/

Superhero

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/deadpool/

fatigue

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=deadpool2016.htm

Even BvS, despite getting bashed by critics, earned a decent amount of money. 166M OW. Fairly close to Civil War in BO revenue.

It's not superhero fatigue. It's sh*tty movie fatigue.

And yet almost none of them are making what they were expected to. Aside from Deadpool which was mostly a novelty thing based on tone and the fact it was R rated. Some of the "s**tty comic movies" were decent but people are just getting bored of the genre. As I said, I'm married to one of them. And have talked to others who say the same thing- too many comic book movies to keep up with, and a lot of them deal with characters no one ever heard of. And keep in mind that the numbers today don't neccessarily mean more tickets- ticket prices are higher now than they were ten years ago.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-05-2016, 07:39 PM
a lot of them deal with characters no one ever heard of.

I think that's a good thing.

It's easy to make a TMNT movie like this and still make money because the TMNT have been household names for decades. But no one even knew Rocket Raccoon's name before Guardians of the Galaxy came out, so they had to actually do a good job in order to turn a profit and get people interested.

Commenter 42
06-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Let's be clear, I like CBM's, most of us do, but we are not the majority.

You don't need to agree with me for it to be true, it simply is, the market is correcting this year.

CBM fatigue isn't necessarily describing the perception of just the fans; but studios themselves. We went through the same thing with other genres in the 80's and 90's. It's supply and demand, and there are too many, half baked movies looking to make a buck.

The market is saturated, with low grade product, tied to huge marketing budgets, sinking everything.

Those numbers are nice, but the actual cost to return ratio? Kind of bollocks.

@trick Let me know when you've seen BVS.

CyberCubed
06-05-2016, 08:24 PM
They don't have to do that. Sony teamed with Marvel to reboot Spidey before their Amazing Spider-Man series' corpse was cold.

Gap between TMNT III and TMNT 2007:

1993-2007 = 14 years

Gap between TMNT 2007 and TMNT 2014:

2007-2014 = 7 years

TMNT movies take dirt naps in the movies before they're rebooted. TMNT isn't Spiderman, Sony wants to hold onto the rights hence their rush to make new movies. Marvel characters are hot nowadays, etc.

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Let's be clear, I like CBM's, most of us do, but we are not the majority.

You don't need to agree with me for it to be true, it simply is, the market is correcting this year.

CBM fatigue isn't necessarily describing the perception of just the fans; but studios themselves. We went through the same thing with other genres in the 80's and 90's. It's supply and demand, and there are too many, half baked movies looking to make a buck.

The market is saturated, with low grade product, tied to huge marketing budgets, sinking everything.

Those numbers are nice, but the actual cost to return ratio? Kind of bollocks.

@trick Let me know when you've seen BVS.

Yes, the low grade product you refer to is struggling at the box office. The higher quality product (Deadpool and Civil War this year) are not.

It's no different from higher quality dramas and comedies succeeding at the box office.

It's simply bad movie fatigue.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-05-2016, 08:49 PM
I think that's a good thing.

It's easy to make a TMNT movie like this and still make money because the TMNT have been household names for decades. But no one even knew Rocket Raccoon's name before Guardians of the Galaxy came out, so they had to actually do a good job in order to turn a profit and get people interested.

Even GotG had plenty of flaws though. The point is that "good" or not, a movie franchise that sold well even two years ago is not doing as well this year. With each new sequel the general public gets more tired of seeing what to them is just another comic book film. They may be invested in certain characters, but overall it's like 42 said- overstauration of what is really a niche genre. And the novelty and curiousity factors have begun to wear thin for most NON-comic fans.

Also lets be honest- no one really KNOWS a movie is good or bad until they've SEEN it. But people are getting tired of trying to tell which ones will be "good". They just don't care as much any more.

NinjaPug
06-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Also lets be honest- no one really KNOWS a movie is good or bad until they've SEEN it. But people are getting tired of trying to tell which ones will be "good". They just don't care as much any more.

The general movie audience relies heavily on RT scores and reviews before seeing movies.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 09:05 PM
And yet almost none of them are making what they were expected to. Aside from Deadpool which was mostly a novelty thing based on tone and the fact it was R rated.

Yes, the second sequel in a series and the umpteenth movie in a connected universe series that opened at 180 million OW and earned over a billion world wide "underperformed."

Compared to Winter Soldier from 2014 which made 95 million OW and 714 million WW.

That blew THIS little bit out of the water good and hard

The point is that "good" or not, a movie franchise that sold well even two years ago is not doing as well this year.

Complete bullsh*t.

And never mind Deadpool which has the highest box office for an R rated movie EVER, but ALSO opened in February to the tune of 132 million dollars.

February is where movies go to die quietly, especially action movies that get summer releases. And it STILL blew everybody away.

Some of the "s**tty comic movies" were decent but people are just getting bored of the genre.

Yes, that's why BayTurtles 2 is failing so hard. It was actually a decent movie but people are just bored of comic book movies now.

That's the reason. Yeah.

Not because it's a sh*t movie or anything.

As I said, I'm married to one of them.

I super don't care.

And have talked to others who say the same thing- too many comic book movies to keep up with, and a lot of them deal with characters no one ever heard of.

And yet GotG, a property NO ONE in the general public knew was a thing in any way, and to a lesser extent Deadpool, who has some cult status but still isn't like a Wolverine or Spider-Man, completely exploded at the box office.

The fact is this movie, with no REAL competition this weekend, in June, just bombed at the box office opening weekend.

Because it's bad.

Foombamaroom
06-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm mixed here, but mostly with Treater.

Commenter's right: CBM fatigue is going to happen eventually. But right now, I don't think it is.

CBM/Sci-Fi movies are now the king of the box office; they're being held to high standards. When people see that a movie is complete garbage from online reviews, of course they're not gonna go see it. They're going to go see the movies that are worth paying for. That's how it's been with dramas, comedies, etc. And now it's happening for CBMs.

People keep saying that comic book fans aren't the majority, but I'm not so sure about that. People who grew up on comics with these characters? Definitely aren't the majority. But the new superhero movies have spawned in plenty of new fans. Hell, I didn't go heavy into comics until Avengers came out in 2012. Comic characters are so easy to research nowadays. Hell, if you wanna read comics, I can name 3 sites off the top of my head that have free comics.

But people, no matter whether or not they're fans or not, want to see decent movies. BayTurtles 2 has almost nothing going for it. It made the casual audiences look down upon it, it pissed the fans of the franchise off, and it apparently isn't doing as well with the kids as they want it to.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm mixed here, but mostly with Treater.

Commenter's right: CBM fatigue is going to happen eventually. But right now, I don't think it is.

CBM/Sci-Fi movies are now the king of the box office; they're being held to high standards. When people see that a movie is complete garbage from online reviews, of course they're not gonna go see it. They're going to go see the movies that are worth paying for. That's how it's been with dramas, comedies, etc. And now it's happening for CBMs.

Oh I have no doubt that the fatigue will set in sooner or later. But the genre is reinvigorated when you get things like Deadpool, Daredevil(not a movie movie but it also blew everybody away), etc.

When you take chances, when you have people on these projects that CARE, when you adapt them WELL, and when there's talent involved, friggin' amazing things happen.

Not a single one of those goddamn things happened with BayTurtles and they got LUCKY the first go around.

It's biting them in the ass this time, thankfully.

Foombamaroom
06-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Oh I have no doubt that the fatigue will set in sooner or later. But the genre is reinvigorated when you get things like Deadpool, Daredevil(not a movie movie but it also blew everybody away), etc.

When you take chances, when you have people on these projects that CARE, when you adapt them WELL, and when there's talent involved, friggin' amazing things happen.

Not a single one of those goddamn things happened with BayTurtles and they got LUCKY the first go around.

It's nice to know that people want to hold Ninja Turtles to some standard. You could easily shrug the stupidity of this movie off as "Oh, it's Ninja Turtles," as most casual audiences do. But it's nice to see that people don't want to pay money to shrug a movie off. It gives me hope that, when the franchise gets rebooted, it'll be helmed by people who love the characters and stories that come with the franchise.

TrickOrTreater
06-05-2016, 09:22 PM
It's nice to know that people want to hold Ninja Turtles to some standard. You could easily shrug the stupidity of this movie off as "Oh, it's Ninja Turtles," as most casual audiences do. But it's nice to see that people don't want to pay money to shrug a movie off. It gives me hope that, when the franchise gets rebooted, it'll be helmed by people who love the characters and stories that come with the franchise.

I know you're speaking about people in general, but for me? I love these characters. I've loved them all my life.

I KNOW they're capable of a lot more, of better. They're certainly worthy of better.

They don't deserve some f*cking talentless hack like Michael Bay and his douchebag friends screwing them up.

Bry
06-05-2016, 09:25 PM

I know I've said as much before, but the real shame here is that TMNT is perfectly suited to stand out and thrive in the current pop culture atmosphere... if they'd take it back to its original comic-book satire roots. Smartly send up the superhero tropes and also tell a good story. There's never been a better time for it.

Commenter 42
06-05-2016, 10:05 PM

The point is, you're not likely to find a studio who "cares".

Dead Pool was made in-spite of itself.

That could happen with Turtles, we want that to happen, but based on this weekend, it won't.

And even when if a reboot does happen, chances it will be the kind of movie we actually want are slim to none. WE are the demo NOW. The next cycle will be for the kids who loved Nick, if another cycle even happens.

Unless some white knight/ BMF like me or you comes riding out of the woodwork to salvage this mess, the next resurrection of TMNT will be even further removed than this.

I know I've said as much before, but the real shame here is that TMNT is perfectly suited to stand out and thrive in the current pop culture atmosphere... if they'd take it back to its original comic-book satire roots. Smartly send up the superhero tropes and also tell a good story. There's never been a better time for it.

Exactly. The time is/was now. not in 5-10 years.

In 2014, when I threw tantrum after tantrum, it wasn't just because we'd have to endure a shitfest, but because that shitfest was going to kill the whole goddamned rebirth of TMNT.

I said, 2014 will make bank on brand, but if it blows, nobody's coming back for a second helping.

Guess what. Here we are, in the moment which, in some parallel universe, A fantastic continuation to an incredible film has just exploded at the B.O.

Instead, we're here, in this ******verse, with crickets.

If they hope to salvage this mother at all, it's gonna take better brains than the ones who broke it.

MathUser
06-06-2016, 12:14 AM
I don't get why people are calling this a comic book movie. Turtles has seen more popularity in it's tv incarnations than it has as a comic. And the current movie is based more off a tv show than it is the comic. I'm pretty sure rocksteady and bebop were created for the tv show.

neatoman
06-06-2016, 02:41 AM
I don't get why people are calling this a comic book movie. Turtles has seen more popularity in it's tv incarnations than it has as a comic. And the current movie is based more off a tv show than it is the comic. I'm pretty sure rocksteady and bebop were created for the tv show.

So has the Justice League, to the point where a lot of people still think they're called "The Super Friends", but the comics still came first.

Yes, Bebop and Rocksteady were created for the show (or more accurately the toyline) but the turtles themselves came from a comic book.

Technogeek29
06-06-2016, 02:48 AM
So has the Justice League, to the point where a lot of people still think they're called "The Super Friends", but the comics still came first.

Yes, Bebop and Rocksteady were created for the show (or more accurately the toyline) but the turtles themselves came from a comic book.

I like to say Bebop and Rocksteady act similar to IDW but no they are almost dumber than the OT versions and far less destructive.

Candy Kappa
06-06-2016, 04:26 AM
I don't think there's a CBM fatigue just yet, but we do have enough Comic Book Movies coming that people can pick and choose what they want to see.

You don't have to have the rat-meat chili at Wendy's, and actually go for something else.

Foombamaroom
06-06-2016, 06:11 AM

TMNT = Originally a comic.

Originally a comic = Comic.

Film based on TMNT = Comic book movie.

Vicky82
06-06-2016, 06:21 AM
7 Reasons Why 'TMNT2' Stumbled at the Box Office

http://www.moviefone.com/2016/06/05/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-out-of-the-shadows-box-office/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I agree with this one

6. There's Only So Many Family Movie Dollars Out There
This might seem counterintuitive, especially now that school's out. But "TMNT" might have done better if it weren't competing against "Alice Through the Looking Glass," "The Angry Birds Movie," "The Jungle Book," and even "Zootopia" (still in 400 theaters after 14 weeks).

neatoman
06-06-2016, 06:21 AM
TMNT = Originally a comic.

Originally a comic = Comic.

Film based on TMNT = Comic book movie.

That's what I'm saying.

ernesth100
06-06-2016, 06:56 AM
Oh no yeah. The films gon a prolly make like 200 mill max. Maybe less. No sequel coming. Luckily they got all the stuff out in this film. Krang, Baxter Stockman, Bebop and Rocksteady, and a good looking Shredder so Im good.

Mew
06-06-2016, 07:07 AM
No sequel coming.
I highly doubt this.

snake
06-06-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm not too sure on a sequel for this. They'd have to be pretty dumb to make another flop.

NinjaPug
06-06-2016, 07:59 AM
I highly doubt this.

Why? The 2014 film barely broke even. This one isn't projected to do that unless it has a huge showing in China. Why would they dump more money at something that isn't giving them a return?

Leolead
06-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Question is, what happens if they press the 'reset' button on the franchise again? Will the audience be game for another reboot so soon?

TrickOrTreater
06-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Question is, what happens if they press the 'reset' button on the franchise again? Will the audience be game for another reboot so soon?

Audiences were more than willing to accept a new Spider-Man almost no time after ASM 2.

He had the unbelievable huge goodwill of the Marvel movies behind him, but they still did.

Give the Turtles to people who'll do right by them, and audiences will follow.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
06-06-2016, 09:03 AM
I don't believe in comic book movie fatigue, every now and then the audience becomes very fussy towards comic book movies. A lot of movie genres live on despite the lack of above average box office numbers.

MathUser
06-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Remember, Expendables 3 bombed in theatres, but they are still making a 4 for theatres.

Andrew NDB
06-06-2016, 10:05 AM
I can't believe, even objectively, in any kind of good conscience that this "film"'s under-performance has anything to do with "CBM fatigue." 99.9% of the lemmings this is targeted at don't even have any idea there was even originally a TMNT comic.

Xav
06-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Why? The 2014 film barely broke even. This one isn't projected to do that unless it has a huge showing in China. Why would they dump more money at something that isn't giving them a return?http://www.thewrap.com/why-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-sequels-will-keep-coming-regardless-of-box-office/

TrickOrTreater
06-06-2016, 10:23 AM
http://www.thewrap.com/why-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-sequels-will-keep-coming-regardless-of-box-office/

"Experts" and TheWrap's opinion vs the loss of a lot of money.

I guess we'll see which one wins.

LeotheLateBloomer
06-06-2016, 10:26 AM

I'm sure they will. What's more familiar with them might attract them more. Hell, it's happened to Spider-Man twice now.

TigerClaw
06-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I'm sure they will. What's more familiar with them might attract them more. Hell, it's happened to Spider-Man twice now.
Yep, Spider-Man is a brand with a lot of staying power, also a major part of pop culture, and so are the TMNT.

NinjaPug
06-06-2016, 10:42 AM
http://www.thewrap.com/why-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-sequels-will-keep-coming-regardless-of-box-office/

I can't imagine they make much off of merchandising from these movies.

Zak The Neutrino
06-06-2016, 10:46 AM
I can't imagine they make much off of merchandising from these movies.

Have you walked through a Target or Walmart lately? Even a small portion of all of that is probably a lot of money.

Andrew NDB
06-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Have you walked through a Target or Walmart lately? Even a small portion of all of that is probably a lot of money.

True.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/3359/5fUuan.jpg

Bry
06-06-2016, 11:03 AM
I could be way off here, but I thought I remember hearing talk a couple years back that the first movie's toys and merchandise didn't sell particularly well?

That said, I'm sure this movie's lucrative product placement deals took some of the edge off of the disappointing box office returns -- just like relaxing in your comfy and affordable H&M® clothes with a tasty can of Orange Crush® while enjoying the fun and convenience of the Apple® iPad™.

neatoman
06-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Remember, Expendables 3 bombed in theatres, but they are still making a 4 for theatres.

Expendable 3 did poorly domestically but it's internationally it managed to make seven times it's budget, that is an incredible profit.

Andrew NDB
06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Expendable 3 did poorly domestically but it's internationally it managed to make seven times it's budget, that is an incredible profit.

Not really, when you consider what low % of international dollars the studio actually gets in return. Or distribution costs, or the marketing budget.

Zak The Neutrino
06-06-2016, 11:12 AM
True.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/3359/5fUuan.jpg

:lol:

How long have you had that? I've haven't been around much lately.

TigerClaw
06-06-2016, 11:13 AM

That just shows how much he has a disdain for Fred Wolf. lol

Andrew NDB
06-06-2016, 11:13 AM

I took it yesterday at Wal-Mart and posted it to my wall, without comment.

oldmanwinters
06-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Forbes is already predicting that OftS may serve as a precedent for Justice League and the dreaded "Tomb Raider Trap."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/06/06/ninja-turtles-2-box-office-is-terrible-news-for-justice-league/#5206cd53318f

Andrew NDB
06-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Forbes is already predicting that OftS may serve as a precedent for Justice League and the dreaded "Tomb Raider Trap."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/06/06/ninja-turtles-2-box-office-is-terrible-news-for-justice-league/#5206cd53318f

I stopped reading at this: "The second Platinum Dunes-produced TMNT reboot is everything we wanted the first film to be."

CyberCubed
06-06-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm going to say they'll still squeeze out a third and final movie in his Bay universe before they call it quits.

Zak The Neutrino
06-06-2016, 11:41 AM

WB fired most of the staff after BvS's pitfall. I think fans are going to look at that and give Justice League a chance. I'm sure if Paramount had fired PD more fans would have turned out.

Bry
06-06-2016, 11:47 AM

Aside from grossly and constantly overstating how much OotS "fixed" (and considering its awful reviews and a fairly mixed audience reception, he comes across a bit like a defensive fanboy there) he makes a lot of good points. They completely botched this series in 2014, and that's not something so easy to recover from. That's a fact that needs to stick to Platinum Dunes in a big way.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-06-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm going to say they'll still squeeze out a third and final movie in his Bay universe before they call it quits.

Logic doesn't really seem to apply to Bay's movies.

We're getting Transformers 5... the madness will not end, so yeah, TMNT 3 2018. Sure thing.

oldmanwinters
06-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Aside from grossly and constantly overstating how much OotS "fixed" (and considering its awful reviews and a fairly mixed audience reception, he comes across a bit like a defensive fanboy there) he makes a lot of good points. They completely botched this series in 2014, and that's not something so easy to recover from. That's a fact that needs to stick to Platinum Dunes in a big way.

As a Sega fanboy, I tend to think of such missteps that have long-term repercussions as "the Saturn Effect." :-)

I'll speak honestly, though, the TMNT is a resilient franchise but has nothing near the mainstream appeal of Batman and Superman. You can almost guarantee any movie with either of those guys in it will make at least $250 million domestic box office. TMNT movies are still lucky to break $100 domestically.

NinjaPug
06-06-2016, 11:58 AM

We're getting Transformers 5... the madness will not end, so yeah, TMNT 3 2018. Sure thing.

Transformers movies actually make a lot of money though

Zak The Neutrino
06-06-2016, 12:00 PM

The Transformers movies make a lot more money though.

Bry
06-06-2016, 12:12 PM
As a Sega fanboy, I tend to think of such missteps that have long-term repercussions as "the Saturn Effect." :-)

Ha! I like it! :tgrin:

I'll speak honestly, though, the TMNT is a resilient franchise but has nothing near the mainstream appeal of Batman and Superman. You can almost guarantee any movie with either of those guys in it will make at least $250 million domestic box office. TMNT movies are still lucky to break $100 domestically.

I think you're right about that. TMNT isn't really geared to be a bloated CGI-spectacle blockbuster at its core, but that's all Bay seemingly wants or understands, so they had to make some ludicrous conceptual decisions to hammer a square peg into a round hole. I keep saying it, but I really hope they look to the original 1990 movie and the success of Deadpool with the next reboot. There's no reason you can't make a great TMNT movie for $50 million.

MathUser
06-06-2016, 04:10 PM
I stopped reading at this: "The second Platinum Dunes-produced TMNT reboot is everything we wanted the first film to be."

What's wrong with that? I'm sure you saw the rocksteady and bebop concept art they had developed for the first film.

Vicky82
06-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Brad Fuller is getting backlash.

http://www.thefeaturepresentation.com/producer-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-2-gets-backlash-from-fans/

The producer of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Out of the Shadows, has come under some fire this week after fans of the film were not satisfied with the highly-anticipated sequel. Well producer Brad Fuller has a few words for those fans: “You can’t make movies for only diehard fans.” In fact, during an interview with Screen Rant, Fuller did not even refer to the critics as fans; he instead called them “haters.”

“I don’t call them fans. They’re haters. And I hear from them all the time,” Fuller said. “Those are the people who send me emails and say, “Well how come you didn’t do a Turtle movie with the guys in suits?” And my response to that is always the same: “Those movies still exist.” And you can watch them all you want. We’re not stopping you from watching that. If someone is interested in a new telling of it, we’re offering that.”

Fuller also explained that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle family is trying to do something different with the new films in the franchise that he believes will be around for a very long time,

“I don’t mean to get too heady on it, but art is about the evolution of… in order for painters to paint today, there had to be guys that came before them and guys who came before them,” Fuller said. “And I do believe very strongly that there will be Turtle movies after us and our movie is just one stop on a long line, in the same way as Friday the 13th or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, different people take a run at different things, and some fans or haters are always offended that they’re taking these properties and doing something different to it.”

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise has been around for over 30 years and in that time three generations of fans have come and gone. Fans can catch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 is now playing in theaters in the U.S.

Shark_Blade
06-07-2016, 09:49 AM
He did the right thing: doing his own thing and ignoring those haters.

beeshaw
06-07-2016, 09:50 AM
TMNT isn't really geared to be a bloated CGI-spectacle blockbuster at its core, but that's all Bay seemingly wants or understands, so they had to make some ludicrous conceptual decisions to hammer a square peg into a round hole. I keep saying it, but I really hope they look to the original 1990 movie and the success of Deadpool with the next reboot. There's no reason you can't make a great TMNT movie for $50 million.

This.

I didn't hate OoTs, but the Turtles shouldn't be globe-trotting superheroes. They're ground level, back alley brawlers. We need MORE of that. We need fight scenes, not spectacle-over-substance set pieces.

Why did we need a 5 minute 'action(?)' scene of them getting to basketball game?Why the hell were they on the top of the Empire State building? Why not start with them just 'stealthily' sneaking into the jumbo-tron. It was a 'cool' scene, but added nothing to the movie.

I'd have rathered of scene a bigger/better/longer battle between them and Bebop and Rocksteady, or some Foot, or SHREDDER...

Slash the budget, get new writers, USE your fight choreographers and keep it simple.

TurtleTitan97
06-07-2016, 09:53 AM

http://www.thefeaturepresentation.com/producer-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-2-gets-backlash-from-fans/

Serves him right for delivering trash.

NinjaPug
06-07-2016, 10:47 AM

I hate this guy so much. Comparing any Platinum Dunes film to art is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Bry
06-07-2016, 11:23 AM

Ohhhh boy. :tgrin:

The producer of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Out of the Shadows, has come under some fire this week after fans of the film were not satisfied with the highly-anticipated sequel. Well producer Brad Fuller has a few words for those fans: “You can’t make movies for only diehard fans.”

Sure, that much is true. But you apparently didn't make movies for the general audience, either. The diehard fans aren't the reason this is underperforming, it's everyone else.

In fact, during an interview with Screen Rant, Fuller did not even refer to the critics as fans; he instead called them “haters.”

“I don’t call them fans. They’re haters. And I hear from them all the time,” Fuller said.

Ahh, the trusty Platinum Dunes defense. If the fans aren't happy, dismiss them as "haters" and act like they're the problem. Just like Michael Bay, Megan Fox, and Jeremy Howard. It's always good to know whose work you should avoid in the future.

“Those are the people who send me emails and say, “Well how come you didn’t do a Turtle movie with the guys in suits?” And my response to that is always the same: “Those movies still exist.” And you can watch them all you want. We’re not stopping you from watching that."

Cool! I'll do that instead.

"If someone is interested in a new telling of it, we’re offering that.”

...and apparently there aren't a ton of people who are interested, sooooooo...

“I don’t mean to get too heady on it, but art is about the evolution of… in order for painters to paint today, there had to be guys that came before them and guys who came before them,” Fuller said. “And I do believe very strongly that there will be Turtle movies after us and our movie is just one stop on a long line, in the same way as Friday the 13th or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, different people take a run at different things, and some fans or haters are always offended that they’re taking these properties and doing something different to it.”

"Art," he says. :tlol:

I do agree that there will be Turtle movies after Platinum Dunes. Hopefully as soon as possible!

Xiewin
06-07-2016, 11:33 AM

Just as bad as Michael Bay.

Andrew NDB
06-07-2016, 11:41 AM
I didn't hate OoTs, but the Turtles shouldn't be globe-trotting superheroes. They're ground level, back alley brawlers. We need MORE of that. We need fight scenes, not spectacle-over-substance set pieces.

I don't know about "brawlers," but yeah. It's a fundamental flaw. They shouldn't be coming "Out of the Shadows"... they should be staying in them for f*ck's sake, using them. They're supposed to be ninja.

MathUser
06-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Real ninjas still go outside during the day, but they take their ninja costumes off. So the turtles should be taking off their bandanas and knee and elbow pads when they go out during the day.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Real ninjas still go outside during the day, but they take their ninja costumes off. So the turtles should be taking off their bandanas and knee and elbow pads when they go out during the day.

See my signature. I think Image TMNT had the most "geared-down" Turtles of any incarnation.

Xav
06-07-2016, 12:36 PM
He did the right thing: doing his own thing and ignoring those haters.And you see how well that did for the films box office.

Bry
06-07-2016, 01:33 PM
And you see how well that did for the films box office.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Cb30tFby1yCTm/giphy.gif

I think his reaction is pretty telling. We saw similar reactions last time, and once the dust settled they threw that movie and its director under the bus, effectively admitting the critics were right.

it's funny that he compares this situation to the PD remakes of A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th -- both ultimately declared failures that are being rebooted once again. Should we read into that? :twink:

miru
06-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Michael Baked. People know well his films are going to be rotten rubbish. He'll be less than Shamaladingdong in a year.

Andrew NDB
06-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Michael Baked. People know well his films are going to be rotten rubbish. He'll be less than Shamaladingdong in a year.

The thing with the PD Turtles movies, though, is Michael Bay can always hide behind the, "Oh, those? I was only a producer," even though it's his name thrown out there in all ads and marketing and neither director of either films. Puppet directors.

Commenter 42
06-07-2016, 01:51 PM
1. When has Brad Fuller ever produced a good re-make?

2. After ****ing up repeatedly, what's his take home? What's his net worth?

3. He will never admit fault.

marcelangelo
06-07-2016, 02:05 PM
I hate this guy so much. Comparing any Platinum Dunes film to art is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Hahahaha man you are speaking out of my heart! !!Me too

Bry
06-07-2016, 02:10 PM

1. He's never produced a good movie, period. (No, seriously. (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/bradley_fuller/))

2. More than you or I can likely conceive of. :tconfuse:

3. Hahahahahaha, nooope.

Technogeek29
06-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Sure he does, "we" are the one's at fault because "we" don't like his interpretations.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-07-2016, 02:12 PM
1. He's never produced a good movie, period. (No, seriously. (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/bradley_fuller/))

2. More than you or I can likely conceive of. :tconfuse:

3. Hahahahahaha, nooope.

I thought people liked the Purge series?

It's not my cup of tea; I'm only familiar with the basic concept...

ToTheNines
06-07-2016, 02:17 PM

I've heard the sequel with Frank Grillo is cool. But the first one is literally one of my most miserable theater experiences ever.

Andrew NDB
06-07-2016, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I liked the Purge movies. Project Almanac was oh-kay.

Bry
06-07-2016, 02:33 PM

It's got its fans, but reviews and audience ratings are pretty... (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_purge/) not great... (http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-purge)

The gist I've heard is that it's a pretty decent concept but with mediocre execution. And that's easily the best thing he's been involved with.

ToTheNines
06-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Just now read that Fuller interview... holy ****.

“I don’t call them fans. They’re haters. And I hear from them all the time,” Fuller said.

Dude, I own Operation Blue Line and We Wish You a Turtles Christmas on vhs. As well as the two-part anime and Casey Jones short on dvd.

I've spent insane amounts of money on tracking down the Mirage magazine size issues. And I printed home made dvd box art for the later seasons of the original cartoon because I couldn't wait to own them all.

I will logistically rearrange my Wednesday or Sunday for the sake of a new IDW or Nick turtles. I have two red eared sliders named Kirby and Spike for god sakes.

But I'm not a fan because I don't like your disrespectful, sacrilegious, ugly Transformers-lite "blockbuster" that you slapped the words "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on?

**** you, mother ****er.

Sabacooza
06-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Just now read that Fuller interview... holy ****.

Dude, I own Operation Blue Line and We Wish You a Turtles Christmas on vhs. As well as the two-part anime and Casey Jones short on dvd.

I've spent insane amounts of money on tracking down the Mirage magazine size issues. And I printed home made dvd box art for the later seasons of the original cartoon because I couldn't wait to own them all.

I will logistically rearrange my Wednesday or Sunday for the sake of a new IDW or Nick turtles. I have two red eared sliders named Kirby and Spike for god sakes.

But I'm not a fan because I don't like your disrespectful, sacrilegious, ugly Transformers-lite "blockbuster" that you slapped the words "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on?

**** you, mother ****er.Well said.

He hears from these people all the time because he obviously isn't doing something right.

I certainly wouldn't call these people haters. TMNT is something near and dear to our hearts and it rubs us the wrong way when we see someone disrespect and crap all over it. Some are just more vocal about it. I do feel the term hater is a tired, overused, juvenile way of labeling someone that doesn't agree with your grand sh!tty vision.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Screw you, Fuller.

He's only talking like this because he's panicking. His movie is doing badly and it means he won't get as much high-profile work in the future. Good riddance, if this is how he treats the people whom he should be paying a good bit more attention to.

Bry
06-07-2016, 03:55 PM
The general audience is rejecting his movie, and his response is to insult the hardcore fans? So... I guess he doesn't want anyone to want to see these things? Cool. Cool.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-07-2016, 04:00 PM
The general audience is rejecting his movie, and his response is to insult the hardcore fans? So... I guess he doesn't want anyone to want to see these things? Cool. Cool.

Sounds like Fant4stic all over again... just without the meltdown.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-07-2016, 04:09 PM
The general movie audience relies heavily on RT scores and reviews before seeing movies.

Sure, when they actually bother to read or watch those reviews or scores. However, no one I know personally or have talked to in the "general audience" does so. They just go to movies they think look "cool". Most people are not concerned with ratings from some critic they don't know or have anything in common with. They would rathwr trust the word of mouth of friends and family. People whose opinions and tastes they already know and trust.

Yes, the second sequel in a series and the umpteenth movie in a connected universe series that opened at 180 million OW and earned over a billion world wide "underperformed."

Compared to Winter Soldier from 2014 which made 95 million OW and 714 million WW.

That blew THIS little bit out of the water good and hard

Complete bullsh*t.

And never mind Deadpool which has the highest box office for an R rated movie EVER, but ALSO opened in February to the tune of 132 million dollars.

February is where movies go to die quietly, especially action movies that get summer releases. And it STILL blew everybody away.

Yes, that's why BayTurtles 2 is failing so hard. It was actually a decent movie but people are just bored of comic book movies now.

That's the reason. Yeah.

Not because it's a sh*t movie or anything.

And yet GotG, a property NO ONE in the general public knew was a thing in any way, and to a lesser extent Deadpool, who has some cult status but still isn't like a Wolverine or Spider-Man, completely exploded at the box office.

The fact is this movie, with no REAL competition this weekend, in June, just bombed at the box office opening weekend.

Because it's bad.

Wow. Once again you take everything I said and turn it backwards to prove your own "point". Why am I not surprised. Yes those movies made money. Did they make as much as they COULD have? For most the answer is no. BvS in particular, but also the X-Films, especially Apocolypse. Deadpool was, as I said, a novelty. A superhero movie for ADULTS. It made so much because it was meant for an older audience, and that drew people in for the "shock" factor of a superhero who swears, gleefully kills bad guys, is not shy about sex or nudity, and basically does everything guys like Superman or Spiderman NEVER would. People were curious and it was a refreshing change. An unfiltered a$$h*le who is also a sulerhero.

Contrast this with the plrtrayal of Bats and Supes- both were darker than we are used to. But in their case it made fans and casual watchers uncomfortable. And they took the dive for it. X-Men was one of the better installatikns of that franchise so why didn't it do well? Because people are getting tired of the series. It's gone on long enough to have changed actors. That should tell you something right there. Same with the new Star Trek verse. It's just not the same, and that turns people off. (Not superheroes, but since we seem to be including sci-fi here it is relevant.)

Again, NONE of the people I know aside from one or two diehard fans are excited or even particularly interested in superhero movies anymore. They are burned out on comic book movies. You say it will happen eventually- but after over a decade and a half of big budget CBMs, I say it already IS happening. This is coming from TALKING to people about these movies. They just don't get excited or even care about seeing them! (And some of them are actually fans of the characters so if even they don't care then obviously the fatigue has set in.)

And whether you care or not doesn't make it any less true.

This.

Why did we need a 5 minute 'action(?)' scene of them getting to basketball game?Why the hell were they on the top of the Empire State building? Why not start with them just 'stealthily' sneaking into the jumbo-tron. It was a 'cool' scene, but added nothing to the movie.

Someone obviously didn't watch that scene closely enough- or just doesn't know their landmark buildings. That was the Chrystler Building NOT the Empire State! I'd think having Mikey incite a pile-up on one of the falcon gargoyles would be enough to make that clear. Or that wide shot panning in on them on the art-deco spire.....

beeshaw
06-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Someone obviously didn't watch that scene closely enough- or just doesn't know their landmark buildings. That was the Chrystler Building NOT the Empire State! I'd think having Mikey incite a pile-up on one of the falcon gargoyles would be enough to make that clear. Or that wide shot panning in on them on the art-deco spire.....

Thanks for the clarification. I'm Canadian. :tcool:

Outside of me not knowing which buildings are which in the New York skyline... They really had no business being up there. lol

MsMarvelDuckie
06-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I'm Canadian. :tcool:

Outside of me not knowing which buildings are which in the New York skyline... They really had no business being up there. lol

So how do you explain them constantly running around on rooftops in Nick or 2K3 series? They've ALWAYS spentba lot of time in high places- I imagine it's a nice change from looking UP at the world from a sewer grate.

Bry
06-07-2016, 04:28 PM
So how do you explain them constantly running around on rooftops in Nick or 2K3 series? They've ALWAYS spentba lot of time in high places- I imagine it's a nice change from looking UP at the world from a sewer grate.

To be fair, in those shows they're generally shown rooftop-hopping across much smaller buildings, not the tallest skyscrapers in midtown.

ToTheNines
06-07-2016, 04:30 PM
I've always envisioned the majority of TMNT action as taking place in the Bronx, maybe some of the northern Manhattan neighborhoods.

Galactus
06-07-2016, 04:35 PM
I believe that interview was done before the released. Although I wonder if it's a case of getting their excuses in early.

One nice thing for them is that despite saying I wouldn't see the movie despite me being naturally curious it struggling at the box office actually made it easy put that aside in the sense that I didn't want to be a part of the problem in helping a clearly flawed movie being a big success but since that's not the case I bit the bullet and went to see it.

With that in mind...

Which of course makes it slightly confusing when getting to the top of the Chysler building later in the movie is portrayed as a huge feat the turtles can't do without the aid of the police.

Then again that's a rather small contradiction compared to things like few scenes earlier where the turtles realize that they can survive the atmosphere around the Technodrome whereas humans can't then moments later have their big moment of deciding whether to become human to convince the cops.

That opening was terrible though. Firstly while I like to see the turtles jumping from building to building they are not Spider-Man. It also more than a little bit devalued the central theme by portraying their lives as so fun filled and they were hardly staying out of sight.

I know what they were trying to do by trying to set the tone right away by showing a the turtles in full from the beginning and set the tone it would be a "fun" movie after the last movie. Likewise reinforcing New York is an important aspect of TMNT but this movie it felt that they were trying to shoe horn every major landmark. Everything up until Shredder was being transferred to into the prisoner carrier was garbage and felt like product placement for everything from the NY tourist board, Carmello Anthony's NBA gear, the Bumblebee spin off and Megan Fox's prospects of still being cast as eye candy.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-07-2016, 04:50 PM
I believe that interview was done before the released. Although I wonder if it's a case of getting their excuses in early.

One nice thing for them is that despite saying I wouldn't see the movie despite me being naturally curious it struggling at the box office actually made it easy put that aside in the sense that I didn't want to be a part of the problem in helping a clearly flawed movie being a big success but since that's not the case I bit the bullet and went to see it.

With that in mind...

Which of course makes it slightly confusing when getting to the top of the Chysler building later in the movie is portrayed as a huge feat the turtles can't do without the aid of the police.

Then again that's a rather small contradiction compared to things like few scenes earlier where the turtles realize that they can survive the atmosphere around the Technodrome whereas humans can't then moments later have their big moment of deciding whether to become human to convince the cops.

That opening was terrible though. Firstly while I like to see the turtles jumping from building to building they are not Spider-Man. It also more than a little bit devalued the central theme by portraying their lives as so fun filled and they were hardly staying out of sight.

I know what they were trying to do by trying to set the tone right away by showing a the turtles in full from the beginning and set the tone it would be a "fun" movie after the last movie. Likewise reinforcing New York is an important aspect of TMNT but this movie it felt that they were trying to shoe horn every major landmark. Everything up until Shredder was being transferred to into the prisoner carrier was garbage and felt like product placement for everything from the NY tourist board, Carmello Anthony's NBA gear, the Bumblebee spin off and Megan Fox's prospects of still being cast as eye candy.

I believe the issue in getting there is that it was daylight and they would most certainly be seen. They probably had the cops clear out the building so they could go in. In the earlier scene, they were on the OUTSIDE of it. So no winesses to see them in the dark. They made a point during the movie of April telling them they couldn't go out during the day because they would be seen.

Also Donnie says in that scene were they are deciding whether to use the ooze that they would still be the same on the INSIDE but just LOOK human. So they could go out during the day and still survive the Drome's "toxic" atmosphere. Though I have to add that Shredder had already done so when he first met Krang so apparently that was just Donnie making false assumptions about it's atmosphere. A slight plot hole in having Shredder breathing just fine without a mask but otherwise it was all explained as part of the transformation if they used it. Human outside, turtly inside, LOL.

Galactus
06-07-2016, 06:06 PM
I believe the issue in getting there is that it was daylight and they would most certainly be seen. They probably had the cops clear out the building so they could go in. In the earlier scene, they were on the OUTSIDE of it. So no winesses to see them in the dark. They made a point during the movie of April telling them they couldn't go out during the day because they would be seen.

Yeah I get that hence me saying it was a "small contradiction" but they had the truck to be able to drive there. Manholes near the Chysler building they could exit from, heck given how far they can jump they could have leaped across the nearby rooftops and climbed the rest of the way.

Same with them having to stay behind while April went inside TCRI. Surely they could have found a dark secluded spot nearby. It's not a big deal but it's worth mentioning.

Also Donnie says in that scene were they are deciding whether to use the ooze that they would still be the same on the INSIDE but just LOOK human. So they could go out during the day and still survive the Drome's "toxic" atmosphere. Though I have to add that Shredder had already done so when he first met Krang so apparently that was just Donnie making false assumptions about it's atmosphere. A slight plot hole in having Shredder breathing just fine without a mask but otherwise it was all explained as part of the transformation if they used it. Human outside, turtly inside, LOL.

I'm calling foul on this one. I'm positive what Donatello meant is that they'd be the same people, with the same personalities. If it was meant on the inside their bodies they would be still genetically be mutants the script writers should have have him say exactly that. (Then again knowing Nemec and Applebaum maybe not)

It's not like I'm hugely down on the scene. I actually thought it was pretty effective. Unlike some who have criticized it I get that what they were trying to convey was the turtles didn't need words they just instinctively knew they were on the same page (although I suppose a nod from Mike wouldn't have gone amiss) and in a movie that promised slower scenes with them turtles but mostly got the doing kooky things in the lair this was welcome but it just happening right after saying that if they were humans they wouldn't survive near the Technodrome was misplaced. It's not like they even needed that, I think the everyone would likely accept that the police would leave it to the "super heroes" to confront the big robot.

It's another case of them overthinking certain elements (which lead to big contradictions) and not explaining important stuff the audience needs to know.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Well he DID say it would only be a sip. And given that one drop changed his hand but it reverted back, it just seemed to imply that it would only affect their appearance. It might not even be a permanent change with that amount. Like I said, it was explained in the scene, though perhaps not perfectly. But it got the point across, IMHO.

beeshaw
06-07-2016, 07:28 PM

To be fair, in those shows they're generally shown rooftop-hopping across much smaller buildings, not the tallest skyscrapers in midtown.

What Bry said. On top of a giant skyscraper was a bit much. Again... nothing more than a cool shot for the sake of a cool shot.

Hell, give me a line where Leo says 'I love seeing our city from up here...' or have Donnie be up there to toss an antennae or a camera or something for some of his tech. Give them a REASON to be up there. The only reason they were up there...was because they had a 'cool' idea of how to get them down to open the movie.

miru
06-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Now Bayyay's Substitute is attacking all of the fans for his deplorable film?

May this continuity rot.

Bry
06-08-2016, 06:21 AM
Maybe not strictly on-topic for this thread (though the reviews thread is locked, so...) and I'm risking some teeth-gnashing and cursing by daring to post a Rotten Tomatoes score, but the steadily dropping RT audience score is now at 60%:

http://s33.postimg.org/yk5aityzz/tmnt_rt.jpg

Will it dip into "rotten" today? Tomorrow? The suspense! :twink:

Commenter 42
06-08-2016, 06:46 AM
I hate their stupid green monkey faces.

Coola Yagami
06-09-2016, 10:45 PM
I remember all the bad stuff we heard about the first one. Wait and see! Wait and see!

Then we started seeing actual trailers for it. Wait and see! Wait and see!

The movie came and went and it was horrible. The sequel will be better, wait and see! Wait and see!

I..... kinda don't hear anyone saying 'the third one will the good one, wait and see, wait and see!'

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 10:49 PM
I remember all the bad stuff we heard about the first one. Wait and see! Wait and see!

Then we started seeing actual trailers for it. Wait and see! Wait and see!

The movie came and went and it was horrible. The sequel will be better, wait and see! Wait and see!

I..... kinda don't hear anyone saying 'the third one will the good one, wait and see, wait and see!'

It's really ye olde "Battered Wife Syndrome." You know, "He'll get better one day, you'll see. You just don't understand. He'll stop beating me, he'll be better."

But no, he just keeps on beating.

TrickOrTreater
06-10-2016, 02:09 AM
Maybe not strictly on-topic for this thread (though the reviews thread is locked, so...) and I'm risking some teeth-gnashing and cursing by daring to post a Rotten Tomatoes score, but the steadily dropping RT audience score is now at 60%:

http://s33.postimg.org/yk5aityzz/tmnt_rt.jpg

Will it dip into "rotten" today? Tomorrow? The suspense! :twink:

Whoooooooooops

http://i.imgur.com/4tDtKzX.png?1

Angry_Raph
06-10-2016, 02:30 AM
It's a great movie and an improvement on the first. Unfortunately the first movie may have been a fluke, and I only say that because they were riding high on the resurgence TMNT had with the new cartoon and toys. But I think the first movie made some people mad and others may just not have liked the edgy Michael Bay turtles. This movie may be suffering from the shock of how bad a lot of people felt the last movie was, and on that they decided to just skip the new movie. Let's face it the six foot mini Hulks were a bad choice, and the clothing only made it stranger. At least they weren't aliens and they did some rewrites to bring in Saki as Shredder. The first movie did very little to appeal to fans, instead they wanted urban Turtles with muscles. This movie may have been what fans wanted to see, but it's probably one movie too late. You can't redeem your franchise after you made Teenage Mutant Ninja Transformers as the first entry.

neatoman
06-10-2016, 03:10 AM
Whoooooooooops

https://66.media.tumblr.com/504cb94fe0f41e563f435ee2f833dcb5/tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

Bry
06-10-2016, 05:26 AM
Whoooooooooops

The day is here!!

Into the garbage truck with you, Platinum Dunes movies!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KkvnPvMN9YM/mqdefault.jpg

TrickOrTreater
06-10-2016, 03:11 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-33099-some-days-you-just-cant-get-ri-pouA.gif

I'm having a great time.

Andrew NDB
06-16-2016, 12:57 PM
https://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/vbjxe7v.gif

Andrew NDB
06-30-2016, 03:17 PM
Let's have us a party!

http://media.karaspartyideas.com/media/uploads/2014/05/plant2.jpeg

Technogeek29
06-30-2016, 03:25 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/rYMnSlsa2oHvO/giphy.gif

Sabacooza
07-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Didn't know where to ask this but did Mad Magazine ever do anything with the Bay turtles? I thought these movies would've been perfect for spoofing. Just curious.

IndigoErth
07-01-2016, 10:52 AM
If not it is a missed opportunity. Mikey would make a great Alfred E. Neuman.

Sabacooza
07-01-2016, 02:28 PM
If not it is a missed opportunity. Mikey would make a great Alfred E. Neuman.Oh, I can definitely see Mikey as Neuman. I thought for sure they would've been on a cover or something as well as a little comic on the inside. Would've been the perfect way to make fun of them but I guess these movies are so bad Mad Magazine won't even touch them. That's saying something.

Andrew NDB
07-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Oh, I can definitely see Mikey as Neuman. I thought for sure they would've been on a cover or something as well as a little comic on the inside. Would've been the perfect way to make fun of them but I guess these movies are so bad Mad Magazine won't even touch them. That's saying something.

Yeah, they do a good enough job making fun of themselves as it is.