PDA

View Full Version : So was Out of the Shadows essentially a remake of Secret of the Ooze?

CyberCubed
06-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Anyone else feel like Out of the Shadows was essentially a remake of Secret of the Ooze, and that's why they're so similar?

- Both movies are the "second" movies and have similar tones and humor.

- Both movies have Shredder "defeated" from the previous movie and him realizing he needs mutants to defeat the Turtles with.

- Bebop/Rocksteady and Rahzar/Tokka essentially serve the same purpose, big strong and dumb mutants to fight the Turtles.

- Baxter Stockman had the same role that Prof. Jordan Perry had in Secret of the Ooze. Shredder works with (or kidnaps) a scientist who works at TCRI (they both work there), to help him work with the mutagen and make mutants.

- April plays a smaller role in the sequel than the first.

- Casey Jones is essentially Keno but a police officer instead of pizza delivery boy.

- The Turtles struggle with being accepted by society and have problems among themselves. Don struggled in TMNT II to realize there was nothing special about their mutation when Splinter showed them the TGRI canister, in Out of the Shadows Don struggles with potentially using the mutagen to turn them human.

- Leo and Raph butt heads, as usual

- Mikey gets swung around by Krang saying, "How do you get off this thing?" similar to Rahzar swinging him around by the arms in TMNT II.

- Splinter plays a very small role, same as TMNT II

- Shredder doesn't actually fight the Turtles, and in Out of the Shadows he;s immediately frozen.

The only major difference is the intro of Krang and the Technodrome, and if you recall the original plan for Secret of the Ooze was to have Jordan Perry be an Utrom. Other than that it was practically a remake.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Secret of the Ooze...

Now with 100% more Krang!!! :kgrin:

MathUser
06-06-2016, 04:14 PM
What are you talking about? Keno was esentially Casey Jones, not the other way around.

neatoman
06-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Meh, sorta? I don't remember Secret of the Ooze having any analogue to Krang and the Technodrome, nor that it was centered around a plot device hunt. The plots are vaguely similar but not close enough for me to see this as a remake.
An element of SOTO I thought was going to make it into OotS was the defeat of Tokka and Rahzar, I thought (based on the hand clip in the trailer) Bebop and Rocksteady were going to revert to their human form so they could get arrested, instead they got locked into a container which they should have been able to bust out of...

Honestly though, I think Secret of the Ooze might actually be a better movie than Out of the Shadows, which is kind of sad really.

Powder
06-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Both PD films have some beats that play out similarly to the original films. Too bad they took cues in the least beneficial way possible.

Shark_Blade
06-06-2016, 07:27 PM
It's way better than Secret of the Ooze, thankfully.

LeotheLateBloomer
06-07-2016, 06:54 AM
From what I've read, both movies do not have the turtles use their weapons. I plan on seeing OotS this week so I can't speak much for the movie. But I've said this before, Soto for all of it's flaws, at least had a good story to make up for it.

ZariusTwo
06-07-2016, 06:55 AM
I plan on seeing OotS this week so I can't speak much for the movie. But I've said this before, Soto for all of it's flaws, at least had a good story to make up for it.

So does this

neatoman
06-07-2016, 08:03 AM
So does this

I wouldn't say SotO had a good story but at least it was passable.

Shark_Blade
06-07-2016, 08:24 AM
From what I've read, both movies do not have the turtles use their weapons. I plan on seeing OotS this week so I can't speak much for the movie. But I've said this before, Soto for all of it's flaws, at least had a good story to make up for it.

Everyone uses their weapon especially the final fight with the Kraang.