PDA

View Full Version : A Spinoff is Becoming Increasingly Neccessary

miru
06-08-2016, 02:34 PM
How many loose threads do we have hanging right now? And how many of those will the writers bother to address?

Mutagen Man. Just Mutagen Man. Will he be seen again?
What happened to Zeno? We know he'll eventually be named Traximus. Whas he killed by the destruction of the Triceraton Mothership?
Are there Kraang elsewhere in the world? We're kinda tired of them, however, so no rush.
Are they even gone from NYC yet? I'd say borderline so.
Are Dr. Cluckingsworth MD and the Punk Frogs gonna do anything signifigant again?
Why haven't the Mutanimals shown interest in Malachi?
What are all the wild mutants doing nowadays?
Do Dregg and Armaggon want revenge on the Turtles? Bellybomb too?
Is the Creep dead for good?
Do episodes like "A Foot Too Big" mean ANYTHING in the end?
Was Ace Duck real? Where is he now? Any more rejected mutants Baxter made?
Who, exactly, took TigerClaw's tail?
The whereabouts of April's mom, of course. What about Casey's?
What about the Kraang who Shredder captured? Where did he go?
Does Rook have interest in Mike?
Other than Chris Bradford himself, were the rest of the characters in that show real?
Why didn't the 2003 Turtles get involved in Trans-Dimensional Turtles? Archie, Image, Movie, TNM, etc Turtles would be just gravy.
Where did "King" of the Utroms go? Is there a new "Knight"?

With this, I realize the writers may not have time to address them all without rushing some or possibly evoking Voodoo Sharks, I believe a spinoff is in order mainly to address these plot threads. Mutanimals, perhaps? Or they could just allow Amazing Adventures to address them.

thundermaster612
06-08-2016, 03:19 PM
what if they addressed these in some way in 'The April O Neil files'

eh, probably not. Well it depends if Tim Hill has payed attention to these details, if he has watched TMNT which should be definite cause if it isn't then we are screwed

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-08-2016, 03:25 PM
what if they addressed these in some way in 'The April O Neil files'

eh, probably not. Well it depends if Tim Hill has payed attention to these details, if he has watched TMNT which should be definite cause if it isn't then we are screwed

Your signature, good sir... where can I find that in higher res? It intrigues me...

CyberCubed
06-08-2016, 03:51 PM
None of those points need to be addressed outside of the series.

The Deadman
06-08-2016, 03:57 PM
It's normally never a good idea to create a spinoff just to create one, especially if the characters you're trying to center them around arent well known.

miru
06-08-2016, 04:16 PM
It's normally never a good idea to create a spinoff just to create one, especially if the characters you're trying to center them around arent well known.

This spinoff is made to address plot points left hanging. The sheer number has long gotten on people's nerves.

The Deadman
06-08-2016, 04:20 PM
This spinoff is made to address plot points left hanging. The sheer number has long gotten on people's nerves.

So you're willing to risk a show crash and burn because plot points havent been addressed?

That's like Nick having a prequel to the Rugrats featuring the adventures of the parents before the kids were born.

Allio
06-08-2016, 05:12 PM
You know what would be an even better idea? if they followed up on these plot points in the nick show itself.

thundermaster612
06-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Your signature, good sir... where can I find that in higher res? It intrigues me...

Copy it and paste it in the Google images photo search box

Powder
06-08-2016, 05:54 PM

It's just stock art poorly traced and presented as an original.

Coola Yagami
06-09-2016, 12:47 AM
.... those are all things that could be resolved within the show. or not. The show does suffer from plot amnesia.

But then again... Mighty Mutanimals? But for some reason I kinda doubt it will do well unless one of the Turtles cameos in every now and then.

CyberCubed
06-09-2016, 02:24 AM
.... those are all things that could be resolved within the show. or not. The show does suffer from plot amnesia.
\\

There is no plot amnesia. Its call recurring plots.

Hero
06-09-2016, 04:17 AM
Any companion material for this show would be welcome.

neatoman
06-09-2016, 04:26 AM
"This show can't tie up it's own loose ends properly, so let's make a different show to tie them up!"

Great idea, I never heard a more flawless concept! But in all honesty it's more likely we'll get another reboot instead.

victory_angel
06-09-2016, 04:47 AM
Mutagen Man. Just Mutagen Man. Will he be seen again?

He might eventually. The voice actor who plays him is busy playing the voice of Sonic and is hard to get a hold of. The writers will bring him back to story when they feel it's right

What happened to Zeno? We know he'll eventually be named Traximus. Was he killed by the destruction of the Triceraton Mothership?

We don't know he will be named Traximus, but we know his character was based off Traximus. The production staff felt all the Triceraton's should have a 'Z' somewhere in their names. It is possible we will be able to see him again in a future season.

Are there Kraang elsewhere in the world? We're kinda tired of them, however, so no rush.

Likely as Kurtzman does have historical documents and items such as Egyptian hieroglyphs depicting Kaang. And the Kraang mutated Tiger Claw when he was a human boy. But as much of the series is centered in New York, that is where we are most likely to see the Kraang set their base of operation.

Are they even gone from NYC yet? I'd say borderline so.

I doubt they'd ever be truly gone, from the show entirely.

Are Dr. Cluckingsworth MD and the Punk Frogs gonna do anything significant again?

The punk frogs went towards Louisiana because they have family (by family other frogs) down there. Jon Heder and Maurice LaMarche are celebrity guest voices and have to agree to a contract agreement before being brought on. Each guest voice also has to be factored into an episode budget.

It is possible we could see them again as the last time we see Rasputin is when the fire starts. So if the Punk Frogs are brought back, Rasputin is likely to come back as a villain unless he didn't survive the fire.

As for Cluckingsworth she's looking after the rest of the chickens at the farmhouse and waiting for the Turtles to return.

Why haven't the Mutanimals shown interest in Malachi?

Malachi is voiced by Paul Reubens AKA Peewee Herman, so guest voice. He could already be part of the Mutanimals but hasn't been featured outside of a cameo in Mikey's head, because the episode budget can't afford it. And even then I don't think he's much of a fighter beyond bringing people into his imaginary role play world.

Do Dregg and Armaggon want revenge on the Turtles? Bellybomb too?

Dregg is a crime lord and wants vengeance because the Turtles broke the drugs (They don't specifically say that the Maroklavin Star Spice was drugs in the show so it's purely up to interpretation. But the Star Wars universe, Drugs are known as spice. And even if it wasn't drugs he had been about to sell before the Turtles crashed into him. There was a time where everyday cooking spices such as nutmeg and vanilla were considered rare and valuable and were worth a lot of money.) sell and hurt his reputation. He purely wants to destroy the Turtles out of principle. It's petty yes, but crime lords do have a reputation to keep. And if he lets a group of rubes run into him and make him look like a fool regardless of intent, he can't simply let it go. Because accident or not, it makes the people around him less afraid of him if he simply did nothing.

Armaggon would also want revenge for his defeat and falling down that pit.

Bellybomb doesn't really care either way. All he cares about is the zimulax and himself.

Again contracted celebrity guest voices so their return is only if they get a contract to be on next season.

(Its after 3:30 in the morning and should call it a night as I have a 10 AM wake up in order to be at work at 1:00 PM. So I'm going to tackle the rest these when I get back)

Splinter the boss
06-09-2016, 01:34 PM
It's better if all is resolved in the current show since some people might not watch it, but yeah I feel you. I don' want a show with tons of unresolved plots myself.

oldmanwinters
06-09-2016, 01:38 PM
"Necessary" is a strong word.

Ceres
06-09-2016, 02:28 PM
More importantly...why should Rook be interested in Michelangelo??? Was there a scene i missed? Seriously these questions are probably never answered and imo totally unneccesary to be answered. If we get answers to them , good, if not, well then not.

The only thing here that really bugs me is the Utrom King and the history of Knight and Bishop.

Utrommaniac
06-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Rook didn't even say a word to Mike, and I kind of doubt she'd be into him anyway. Dude was running around with the skeletal remains of one of her own kind on her head.

As for a replacement Knight, it seems that id not happen.

Shredder probably let the Kraang he captured go once he allied himself with the rest.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
06-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Are there Kraang elsewhere in the world?

Since I'm not tired of the Kraang (but maybe it's time for them to have other plans), I hope for the turtles go on international travels and encounter Kraang at some of the places.

Ceres
06-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Yeah, Rook didn't even say a word to Mike, and I kind of doubt she'd be into him anyway. Dude was running around with the skeletal remains of one of her own kind on her head.

As for a replacement Knight, it seems that id not happen.

Shredder probably let the Kraang he captured go once he allied himself with the rest.

Well seeing as Rook is as emotional as a log of wood we surely can assume that romantic antics will never happen with her. Or any other Utrom for that case...

I still would like to Subprime returning to be the KNight, its silly and probably never going to happen but i want to see some bromance moments with him and Bishop!

Coola Yagami
06-09-2016, 11:15 PM
There is no plot amnesia. Its call recurring plots.

No it's called, we're completely forgetting something important we have to do until whenever the episode just happens to be about it, then we suddenly remember how important it is and act upon it.

Honestly, if all it took was for Raph to make fun of Donnie so that he could singlehandedly rescue April's dad, who by all means would have been dead by now, while his brothers are content watching TV and playing pinball..... then Raph should have insulted Donnie long ago.

Allio
06-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Let's not forget plot points that get wasted potential

Raph having a Rivalry with Slash would have been amazing

Nope, good guy by his next episode.

Aaronardo
06-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Let's not forget plot points that get wasted potential

Raph having a Rivalry with Slash would have been amazing

Nope, good guy by his next episode.

Every time I watch Slash and Destroy that very fact pisses me off so much.

How about the Donnie and April dynamic having a good payoff, after having a good setup in The Invasion? Literally destroyed two episodes later in A Foot Too Big. Never ever brought up again.

How about Splinter meeting Leo for the first time since The Invasion and realizing his voice had changed because of his injuries in battle, creating a heartfelt moment, and causing a plotline with Splinter second-guessing his philosophies on anger toward Shredder, leading up to his death in the finale.

So many. Just so many.

06-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Mayne a Mutanimals miniseries?

CyberCubed
06-10-2016, 12:06 PM
No it's called, we're completely forgetting something important we have to do until whenever the episode just happens to be about it, then we suddenly remember how important it is and act upon it.

Honestly, if all it took was for Raph to make fun of Donnie so that he could singlehandedly rescue April's dad, who by all means would have been dead by now, while his brothers are content watching TV and playing pinball..... then Raph should have insulted Donnie long ago.

No its not, its recurring plotlines. When Batman and Spiderman are going on nobody says, "Hey, when was the last time Riddler showed up? They're forgetting him!"

Just like superheroes have recurring villains so does TMNT

victory_angel
06-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Remember many of these episodes are written more or less at the same time so the writers aren't able to completely compare notes.

06-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Remember many of these episodes are written more or less at the same time so the writers aren't able to completely compare notes.

Aren't they control-writing together?

Splinter the boss
06-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Sorry, I'm lost, but who is Rook?

neatoman
06-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Sorry, I'm lost, but who is Rook?

You know how some people got pissed to find out Irma was Kraang Sub-Prime and demanded a "real" Irma? We got a "real" Irma... Who was also an Utrom.

Rook is "real" Irma.

victory_angel
06-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Aren't they control-writing together?

Nope. Peter Di Cicco did give a run down of the writing process on his Tumblr page.

The writing process is pretty intense because we’re generally working on around five different stories in different stages of drafts, not including the 26+ episodes in various stages of production. But for each episode, the stages are laid out into premise, outline, 1st draft, 2nd draft, and record draft, which is the final version that gets recorded by the actors and given to the storyboard artists to start boarding.
One of the great challenges I personally have as a writer is timing the script so that it will work in under 22 minutes (I think if you account for the main title, we only have 21 minutes of actual show time now). And one thing you have to understand about television (at least, basic cable) is shows have to deliver precisely on time. They can’t be even 30 seconds over or under.
Once we see the show in animatic form, stuff almost always ends up getting cut or rewritten for time. Sometimes it actually helps the pacing, sometimes you just need to lose things. You’d be amazed how much a minute or even just 30 seconds of screen time can be.

Konchadunga
06-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but many of those peripheral characters and their relevant plots are there to sell toys. In fact, quite a number of them were toys long before they were ever in a cartoon. If they made toys for them that aren't getting sold, they might give them more attention to raise more buyer interest.

With some characters, spin-offs may, in fact, be the best way to give that attention. For example, this show, much like certain other action cartoon franchises, seems to be operating under the assumption that female figures don't sell well in a boy-centered toyline, and yet there are plenty lucrative girl-centered toylines so The April Oneal Files might be--or have been, at least--an attempt to address that crowd on somewhat different terms. Many other characters, though, have very little to warrant unique interest in them, and thus are riding wholly on the Ninja Turtles' coattails for their business.

06-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but many of those peripheral characters and their relevant plots are there to sell toys. In fact, quite a number of them were toys long before they were ever in a cartoon. If they made toys for them that aren't getting sold, they might give them more attention to raise more buyer interest.

With some characters, spin-offs may, in fact, be the best way to give that attention. For example, this show, much like certain other action cartoon franchises, seems to be operating under the assumption that female figures don't sell well in a boy-centered toyline, and yet there are plenty lucrative girl-centered toylines so The April Oneal Files might be--or have been, at least--an attempt to address that crowd on somewhat different terms. Many other characters, though, have very little to warrant unique interest in them, and thus are riding wholly on the Ninja Turtles' coattails for their business.

But do children really buy those minor character toys?

TMNTInsighter
06-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Like I keep saying, the Mutanimals would make (at the very least) an interesting spinoff. Mutagen Man would certainly be amongst their ranks, he always is! Karai/Miwa would also be able to show what her snake and human form are capable of without stealing the spotlight from the turtle family. We'd get to see more of what drives Slash and how he handles the task and pressure of both caring and leading this family of his. Plus, it's always fun to see our big gator friend Leatherhead--not to mention how he councils Slash.

Electric
06-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Ok, Ill give you that there are a couple loose end plots, like mutagen man, Karai (which you forgot to mention), heck Ill even give you the locations of the mutants in NYC right now.

But most of these are uneccessary, and honestly, I hope they dont address them. Ace Duck? Most likely just an easter egg. could they throw him in? sure. do they need to? Nope. The mutants from the farm house episodes and monsters in space had their arcs and time. Could they show back up? Sure. Do they need to? No. Rook and Mikey...what? Chris Bradfords supporting cast? What?

The show should stick to focusing on the main cast. All theses supporting characters can appear and be developed, but they dont need to, nor should they, fully flesh out every possible arc and detail for them.

Yes, some increased plot continuity would be nice, like the 2k3 series. But the nick show from the start has admitted they arent aiming for that. Ciro said at the beginning of the first season that someone could watch any episode, no matter the order, and understand whats going on (something like that). Obviously thats changed a bit, now we have multi part episodes, and full consecutives plotlines following an event (farm house, space), but even little things. I know Karai has taken a backseat, (theyve been a little busy rescuing the world from space) but once she was mutated, multiple episodes addressed her. Even if it was just a opening scene showing them searching for her before another plot occurs, its still continuity.