PDA

View Full Version : Do you like "TMNT: Out of the Shadows"?

Andrew NDB
06-08-2016, 02:42 PM
C'mon. This one's not anonymous.

miru
06-08-2016, 02:42 PM
I am divided. It seems fun, but the damage it is doing to the franchise... unbearable.

MrTMNT2012
06-08-2016, 02:44 PM
I liked it...despite it's *MANY* flaws.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-08-2016, 02:52 PM
I feel honorbound not to vote until I've actually watched the film.

I hate everything about it, but not having actually experienced it... I plan to <harumph harumph> view the film through less than approved means this weekend to verify that, yes, it is indeed everything I hate about the franchise.

But until then, all I can do is echo the words of our great late President Richard Nixon:

"I AM NOT A PLANT."

graphic_content
06-08-2016, 02:54 PM
yes.

the moments dealing specifically with the Turtles were a lot of fun to watch.

the others, not so much.

at least when I buy this on blu-ray to rewatch, I wont be skipping through the first 20 mins just to get to the Turtles. :lol:

Archon_Turtle
06-08-2016, 03:05 PM
I voted that I'm a plant...since these days I could actually be considered one.

Bry
06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Where's the "Ha, good one! I mean, there's no way I'm actually watching this" option? :tsad:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
I don't see YOUR vote, Andrew.

Are YOU a plant? Hmm? Leafy tendrils unable to click that "no" button? :trazz:

Andrew NDB
06-08-2016, 03:14 PM

You never really know, these days...

http://www.alienmovieproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/invasion_body_snatchers1.jpg

But a "No" from me would mean I've seen it. I've not. I'm just actively projecting bile onto it from the minimum safe distance, closely monitoring my giger counter to make sure I don't accidentally get too close.

thundermaster612
06-08-2016, 03:15 PM
this thread is pretty much like my 'Did you specifically like the movie' thread

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-08-2016, 03:26 PM
You never really know, these days...

http://www.alienmovieproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/invasion_body_snatchers1.jpg

But a "No" from me would mean I've seen it. I've not. I'm just actively projecting bile onto it from the minimum safe distance, closely monitoring my giger counter to make sure I don't accidentally get too close.

:tlol: That's exactly what I was hoping for.

this thread is pretty much like my 'Did you specifically like the movie' thread

With the major difference of we can see (and judge) who voted what.

Yeah, it'll end well and civilly, I'm sure. :tlol:

neatoman
06-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Yeah this movie sucked really hard, imagine Transformers 2 with way more of Skids and Mudflap.

plastroncafe
06-08-2016, 03:28 PM
I feel honorbound not to vote until I've actually watched the film.

I hate everything about it, but not having actually experienced it... I plan to <harumph harumph> view the film through less than approved means this weekend to verify that, yes, it is indeed everything I hate about the franchise.

But until then, all I can do is echo the words of our great late President Richard Nixon:

"I AM NOT A PLANT."

^^^^
This
Also, I haven't found that vodka yet.

CyberCubed
06-08-2016, 03:49 PM
I'd give it a 7/10 as an OT fan, a 6/10 if you're strictly speaking as a movie fan in general.

The movie had a simple plot, but the character interaction was pretty funny that it made up for it. The Turtles themselves are also vastly improved personality wise over the previous film.

Leolead
06-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Hated the handling of Casey, Shredder and to an extent, Baxter But especially Casey.. Amell was a terrible choice. Too many plot-holes regarding Krang and I didn't care for the Ultra-cartoony tone or/and physics either. 4/10. I liked the first one better.

Cyndaquilfan123
06-08-2016, 04:13 PM
I'd give it a 7/10 as an OT fan, a 6/10 if you're strictly speaking as a movie fan in general.

The movie had a simple plot, but the character interaction was pretty funny that it made up for it. The Turtles themselves are also vastly improved personality wise over the previous film.

I'm surprised. I didn't know you somewhat liked it.

Andrew NDB
06-08-2016, 04:17 PM
I'm surprised. I didn't know you somewhat liked it.

ItHA0cgsnUQ

Etsyturtle2
06-08-2016, 04:19 PM
ItHA0cgsnUQ It's like a giant green erection.

The Deadman
06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Yeah I liked it, would give it a 7.5/10

Krutch
06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
As I've said before, i'm the kind of guy who can enjoy We Wish You a Turtles Christmas on some kind of sick level, so, it doesn't take much for me to give it a pass. (The only TMNT thing I've watched and actively didn't like was the 2014 Turtles movie.)

Out of the Shadows at least had some nice, small character moments and felt like a Turtles movie the 8 year old version of myself would have loved to see. It's a big, stupid, fun family flick.

It's still not even close to how I'd approach making a Ninja Turtles movie, but, hey. I'll find enjoyment where I can get it instead of writing off the entire product as garbage.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Thank you Krutch! I felt the same way. Saw it twice. The first time was just to *enjoy* it. The second viewing was more critical and objective, and it held up better than the first did. Yes, I liked it. More so for the character treatment of Krang R&B and the turtles but I quite liked the way it felt more like TMNT. Well, FW TMNT anyway. Which is fine since it clearly took a lot of its cues from that version.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-08-2016, 05:02 PM
It was miles better than the first movie.

TigerClaw
06-08-2016, 05:31 PM
that poll and the other one speaks volume, people loved OOTS, he just can't bring himself to the realization, that TMNT today is more popular then it was before.

Galactus
06-08-2016, 05:52 PM
that poll and the other one speaks volume, people loved OOTS, he just can't bring himself to the realization, that TMNT today is more popular then it was before.

Then why is it making significantly less than the movie releases in 2014?

NinjaPug
06-08-2016, 06:15 PM

You really say a bunch of asinine things

Powder
06-08-2016, 06:20 PM
TMNT today is more popular then it was before.

Ignoring the fact you said some other frustratingly naive stuff, this is outright wrong in every conceivable way. Nothing can touch how huge it was during "Turtlemania".

Bry
06-08-2016, 06:26 PM
I'd be far more interested to see the same poll done in six months or so. There was a lot of opinion turnaround on the last movie once the hype wore off.

Krutch
06-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Nothing can touch how huge it was during "Turtlemania".
Let's just be honest here: Nor will it ever ;)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-08-2016, 07:32 PM
^^^^
This
Also, I haven't found that vodka yet.

I finished my coconut rum last night and will need to procure more (many bottles more) for my TMNT2 home viewing this weekend.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Nah don't worry Cy one bottle should be plenty. Might not even need the whole bottle this time.

Coola Yagami
06-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Idk. I'll see it when I see it. Watching it mostly for bebop and Rocksteady. Actually surprised it's doing so badly considering those 2 are in it. Only Micheal Bay can take something that awesome and somehow **** it up.

TMNTChris1980
06-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Ignoring the fact you said some other frustratingly naive stuff, this is outright wrong in every conceivable way. Nothing can touch how huge it was during "Turtlemania".

Couldn't agree more. I was ~9 or 10 years old when the first movie came out, and it wasn't a huge deal. It was big, but not huge, to me, even at that age TMNT were an underground thing.

Then SotO came out. That was, what I think anyways, the start of "Turltemania". They were %^&$ing everywhere. Seriously, 5th grade school clothes shopping, I had everything TMNT socks, sweaters, everything. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing them. They were being sold in everystore, they were licensed to everything. TMNT at its peak now, is big for TMNT, probably the biggest its been since then. But it doesn't even come close to how big it was.

Anywhoooo. Didn't see the new movie, still voted, because I can't wait for a reboot. I really hope we get an actual Mirage comic trilogy. Would kill to see the Collected Hard Covers on the big screen. Bring on the Triceratons, and Zog. But yeah, movie looked like the same thing they did last time.

BTW, I was right. Every villian the turtles fight have to be enormous. The TMNT were designed so big that nothing normal human size is an opposition. Rocksteady and Bebop look the same size as the Turtles.

ranger_scout
06-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Yes, I liked it. It was a fun summer popcorn flick and I hoping to see it again on Friday.

Cryomancer
06-08-2016, 09:27 PM
It doesn't look very good to me but I haven't seen it so I won't vote. Waiting for the Rifftrax, probably.

IndigoErth
06-08-2016, 09:40 PM

He's prob just a plant from a rival company with another film out about now, perhaps X-Men: Apocalypse or Warcraft trying to weaken the numbers prior to its release. :P

( I wonder if that ever actually happens. o.O)

I'd be far more interested to see the same poll done in six months or so. There was a lot of opinion turnaround on the last movie once the hype wore off.
Agree. It's been interesting to see some of those who were massively hyped up defenders of it kind of cool off and become a bit more neutral.

Don't know if it will be quite as obvious of a shift with this one, since the vast majority at least acknowledge that at least some aspects were not great, but yeah.

Leolead
06-08-2016, 10:07 PM
He's prob just a plant from a rival company with another film out about now, perhaps X-Men: Apocalypse or Warcraft trying to weaken the numbers prior to its release. :P

Agree. It's been interesting to see some of those who were massively hyped up defenders of it kind of cool off and become a bit more neutral.

Don't know if it will be quite as obvious of a shift with this one, since the vast majority at least acknowledge that at least some aspects were not great, but yeah.
Case in point, me. :p

Coola Yagami
06-09-2016, 12:00 AM

Actually Andrew could be a plant from the next producers of the REAL TMNT movie which plan to wait until this mess dies down before they release it. Andrew is just silently biding his time...

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 12:11 AM
Andrew is just silently biding his time...

Or maybe not-so-silently...

Jester
06-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Well....I didn't hate it. It's flawed, but it had its moments. Krang was spot on save for his voice. Liked the Technodrome. Shredder, Karai, and even Baxter were underused...heck so was Krang to be honest. The team split was a bit contrived. The tracking with ooze was lame...why not stick to the burner phones? Bebop and Rocksteady were fairly on point...maybe a little too dumb. Also why send just them to Brazil? Casey was....not Casey. Sorry Steven, you failed this movie!

Utrommaniac
06-09-2016, 08:15 AM
I think the degree of dumb for Bebop and Rocksteady was just different.

OT B&RS had a dumb child naiveté, PD B&RS had frathouse ****boy blockheadedness. Same floor of dumb, but in different rooms.

vicsavage
06-09-2016, 08:39 AM
My regret is I only drank one screwdriver during the movie. But then of course I'd miss such great scenes of Casey Jones interrogating Dean Winters...

Jester
06-09-2016, 08:55 AM
I think the degree of dumb for Bebop and Rocksteady was just different.

OT B&RS had a dumb child naiveté, PD B&RS had frathouse ****boy blockheadedness. Same floor of dumb, but in different rooms.

I guess I just prefer childlike morons to idiotic fratboy dude-bros.

Also...poor Dean Winters...love that guy and he's in this.

Utrommaniac
06-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Same.
The childishness could come off a little funnier early on, especially when they made sarcastic remarks that were actually smart. ("Maybe you'll get it for Christmas!" followed by snickering).

neatoman
06-09-2016, 09:42 AM
IDW made the only version of Bebop and Rocksteady I liked, they really struck a nice balance there of immature morons and ultra violent psychopaths. It made them strangely lovable.

I can't really stand them in either the FW cartoon or here but especially here. At least in the cartoon you could argue their behaviour is sort of cute, it's annoying but at least it's not nearly as annoying.

Foombamaroom
06-09-2016, 09:45 AM
I didn't "dislike it" but I didn't "like it", either. It's just forgettable.

So, with that said, I'm obviously a plant.

ToTheNines
06-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I only count two "for sure" plants who voted yes in this one so far.

plastroncafe
06-09-2016, 09:58 AM
I guess I just prefer childlike morons to idiotic fratboy dude-bros.

Also...poor Dean Winters...love that guy and he's in this.

http://mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/crying-waterfalls.gif
But why are those our only two options?!

(Also...Dean Winters is always amazing)

Candy Kappa
06-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Haven't seen this movie yet, so I can't vote.

Editor's Note Comics
06-09-2016, 11:45 AM
I do a weekly show for my shop, this week is all about my feelings towards this movie. Nothing better than listening to a couple of grown men get more and more frustrated over a children's movie.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ep.-11-tmnt-out-shadows-review/id1098937692?i=1000370322255&mt=2

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-09-2016, 11:54 AM
http://mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/crying-waterfalls.gif
But why are those our only two options?!

(Also...Dean Winters is always amazing)

As others have already stated, IDW gives you the third option:

Terrifying homicidal psychopaths with negligible IQs and true friendship.

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm debating getting really drunk, watching a torrent of it and recording a commentary track. But I worry it wouldn't be worth the alcohol, but it might be worth it to you.

Utrommaniac
06-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Eh, I'll just wait for Rifftrax to get into it. They've seen enough sh*t, they don't need booze.

Candy Kappa
06-17-2016, 07:39 AM
This **** was worse then the 2014 movie.

neatoman
06-17-2016, 09:24 AM
This **** was worse then the 2014 movie.

Yeah, I'm not sure seen anyone else here agree with me on this one.

The first one was bad, really bad, but at least it has something that resembles a proper plot and doesn't annoy you so much it feels an hour longer than it really is.

LeotheLateBloomer
06-17-2016, 09:26 AM
What made it worse for you personally?

neatoman
06-17-2016, 10:03 AM

Well I did rewatch the first one out boredom like a month or less before I watched the second one, so it is a relativeley fresh comparison for me.

What makes it worse is that, when these movies simply judged as movies on their own merits and not as adaptations, the second one just fails spectacularily at showing any competence whatsoever. The first one, while a really bad movie, was a lot cleaner in terms of pacing and story. Not to mention that it didn't have an overload of bad comedy.

Here's the plot of the first one:

April tries to uncover the mystery of the Foot.
She finds out the Foot wants the Turtles to put a poison scheme into effect.
Turtles gets captured and the poison is made.
They break free and stop the poison.

Simple and clean, not good but it's servicable for a pop corn flick.

Here's the sequel:

Turtles mope a bit about not being normal.
Shredder breaks out of custody and is recruited by Krang.
Shredder mutates Bebop and Rocksteady, April steals mutagen.
Turtles try to steal mutagen from the Police and their allies get caught.
Turtles go to Brazil while Casey and April are stuck in interrogation.
Casey and April gets out, Casey defeats Bebop and Rocksteady.
Meanwhile, Technodrome gets summoned and Turtles fight Krang until they banish him.
Also, some pointless crap with Will Arnett.

Clearly a bigger mess of a movie, no real sense of flow at all.

chrisdude
06-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Why do we have a second poll? The results are exactly the same.

Candy Kappa
06-17-2016, 11:58 AM

There's a lot to dot down to how characters acted, especially how dumb Shredder was and Amell's non-existent performance, completely dropping the ball on the "we can he human" subplot where it's not resolved just dropped with no character growth what so ever. Krang's annoying portrayal and the flopped attempts to make it feel FW-ish.

But the worst offender is that the movie was boring to watch, a complete snooze-fest that just made me feel depressed and empty after the movie was over.

IndigoErth
06-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Here's the sequel:

Turtles mope a bit about not being normal.
Shredder breaks out of custody and is recruited by Krang.
Shredder mutates Bebop and Rocksteady, April steals mutagen.
Turtles try to steal mutagen from the Police and their allies get caught.
Turtles go to Brazil while Casey and April are stuck in interrogation.
Casey and April gets out, Casey defeats Bebop and Rocksteady.
Meanwhile, Technodrome gets summoned and Turtles fight Krang until they banish him.
Also, some pointless crap with Will Arnett.

Now see, personally I prefer movies that are a bit more complex and have more going on, so, while some things could be edited out of the film (such as your last point), and maybe shorten other things, I kind of like that there is that much to it.

I just don't like that some aspects SHOULD have had more going on but didn't. The major plot line is shameful. Spent most of the movie just collecting boring crap just for the big climax of the film to fall flat. Disappointing.

Like, "Here is a grocery list, go get the things I need for the most awesome cake ever!"

"Okay!"

Later, "Finally! We have all the ingredients together. Hahaha!"

"This is gonna be good!"

[throws big bowl of cake batter on the floor]

"Actually, forget this. I don't want cake now."

Wait... what? Thanks for leaving us still craving it...

neatoman
06-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Now see, personally I prefer movies that are a bit more complex and have more going on, so, while some things could be edited out of the film (such as your last point), and maybe shorten other things, I kind of like that there is that much to it.

I just don't like that some aspects SHOULD have had more going on but didn't. The major plot line is shameful. Spent most of the movie just collecting boring crap just for the big climax of the film to fall flat. Disappointing.

Like, "Here is a grocery list, go get the things I need for the most awesome cake ever!"

"Okay!"

Later, "Finally! We have all the ingredients together. Hahaha!"

"This is gonna be good!"

[throws big bowl of cake batter on the floor]

"Actually, forget this. I don't want cake now."

Wait... what? Thanks for leaving us still craving it...

There's nothing wrong with complexity but there's a different between something complex and something cluttered. Complex is when a lot of things connect in a cohesive whole, cluttered is when a bunch of crap is forced in and don't connect in any meaningful way.

Both TMNT ´14 and it's sequel are poorly written movies but the first is at least excuted more cleanly, the second one is a total mess.

Slimer Joel
06-17-2016, 02:38 PM
It was fine. It wasn't that good of a movie, but I enjoyed it.

I loved the 80's-ness of it, how most of the characters were ripped straight out of the Fred Wolf cartoon. Bebop and Rocksteady were perfect, as was Krang.

Shredder seemed like an afterthought, didn't really do much. Baxter was a lame character who's only defining trait seemed to be "big nerdy dude who laughs a lot", and Casey was just horrible all around.

However, the Turtles were done well this time around. They had a lot of screentime and showed some great personality throughout the film.

Overall, a 7/10. Good, but not great.

swing_kinker
06-18-2016, 05:16 PM
As a grumpy guy in his early 30s this was set up for my demographic to hate it but I thought it was a lot of fun for a popcorn flick. Lots of fan service and some good interactions. Mikey saying "we're not monsters" with tears in his eyes touched me as someone who grew up with these characters. I've given the movie plenty of leeway and I understand people not digging it but personally I put all preconceived notions aside and had a blast

Redeemer
06-18-2016, 08:04 PM
I just saw it and holy crap was this movie bad. I can't believe how disappointing the movie was.

I am honestly shocked how many people actually enjoyed the movie..... But I think that speaks more about myself and how I have grown or retracted as a fan of TMNT. The story of the Comics current and past have just set such a high bench mark that it has more than likely caused myself to set high standards for these movies.....

Cropsy
06-19-2016, 04:28 AM
This one was better than the first one i thought and had some decent action and 80's cartoon feel of it even with Bebop and Rocksteady finally on film.