PDA

View Full Version : Does the Nick series need more original characters?

thundermaster612
06-08-2016, 06:15 PM
By original I mean its own characters that haven't been seen in other TMNT media like Fishface and Snakeweed and The Creep and stuff. Lately the writers have been looking too closely upon the old versions, its one of the bad things in my opinion about them. If the season 1 writers stayed, would we have more new characters? We did get quite a few new ones at the beginning of season 3 but not too many. The Nick series needs its own uniqueness, something that can be later on defined not just as that one series created by the famous Nickelodeon or that one homaging series, I'm not saying its defined by that now and it might not later but it kind of is consider most people refer to it as the Nick series rather than the 2012 series. I mean the other series are referred to by premiere years not production company. So go ahead and speak your opinion (in a non-cancerous way) about whether the Nick series should or should not have more original, new characters.

Powder
06-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Absolutely! I had felt that their original material was one of the ways they excelled most. There's been a little bit too much reliance on reviving older ones, not that I mean to complain, 'cause everything's been great (except the turn they took with Mona, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms). I would definitely enjoy seeing more new characters, be they human, robots, aliens, mutants, whatever. They need a bit more to set the show apart from the rest, IMO.

I see a lot of people on social media nowadays, casual fans, who if they like this new series, basically say it's a reboot of the original cartoon. To me, that viewpoint being common is suggestive of a need for change, & some new characters who'd switch up the tone & look a little would help.

GoldMutant
06-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Of course! Yeah, I've been critical on the series for a while now, but I will not deny one thing: the new creations are really nice. Newtrailizer is still my favorite, but I do enjoy the likes of Xever and Creepweed. To me, it's always fair to balance to the older characters with near obscure characters TMNT characters or original material. Just give em a slick design and maybe a solid character (or if a one off mutant, make them stand out) and little to complain about.

Only issue I've had with some of the original mutants for this show don't peak my interest. Among them are Pizza Face, the Squirrelnoids (slightly), the wasps, and the Chimera.

thundermaster612
06-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Of course! Yeah, I've been critical on the series for a while now, but I will not deny one thing: the new creations are really nice. Newtrailizer is still my favorite, but I do enjoy the likes of Xever and Creepweed. To me, it's always fair to balance to the older characters with near obscure characters TMNT characters or original material. Just give em a slick design and maybe a solid character (or if a one off mutant, make them stand out) and little to complain about.

Only issue I've had with some of the original mutants for this show don't peak my interest. Among them are Pizza Face, the Squirrelnoids (slightly), the wasps, and the Chimera.

So I take it you know that Newtralizer is really a failed 87' Playmates figure?

Powder
06-08-2016, 06:34 PM
No, he's not. That was purely coincidental. Newtralizer is Ciro's original idea, who shares the same name as one. One who wasn't revealed until AFTER Nick's came out, mind you. That is all.

thundermaster612
06-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Wow, that is really weird... Same name and... well almost not really everything. Just same name and assassin type concept

CyberCubed
06-08-2016, 06:42 PM
The Nick cartoon has created tons of new characters:

Tiger Claw
Fishface
Bradford/Dogpound (before Rahzar)
Snakeweed
Spiderbitez
Cockroach
Squirrelnoids
All the Season 2-3 mutant of the week characters
etc.

Problem is all the new character are just mutants/monsters, and outside of Shredder's minions they're just for one-shot filler eps.

Powder
06-08-2016, 06:45 PM
I guess we could/should count new characters in existing formats too; all the various Kraang, unique Purple Dragons & Triceratons, etc.

Wish we could see Murakami-San more often.

TigerClaw
06-08-2016, 06:56 PM
The show needs more original characters, there are a lot of them that haven't appear on the show, if you look at the toys for the original series, there were a lot of characters that haven't appear in the 80s cartoon, including the archies series comics, this will be there chance to create versions of those characters in the Nick series.

I would like to see what Nick can do with King Lionheart, he would be a perfect counter to TigerClaw.

snake
06-08-2016, 07:00 PM
I agree, and they really should focus on new characters. But again, I think they do a good enough job of giving existing ones a new identity, whether it's for better or worse (I was pretty disapointed by Bishop)

Ninjinister
06-09-2016, 12:02 AM
I'd say I'm 50/50 about them developing new characters and continuing on with the more obscure (by mainstream at least, like Dregg, Bellybomb, Armaggon, etc.) characters.

Wish we could see Murakami-San more often.

And I bet he wishes he could see, period.

Tarris Vaal
06-09-2016, 02:22 AM
I think original characters are always one of those areas that risks overstepping the mark and making the new character a major focus that outshines the primary cast.

So far, nearly all of Nick's new characters have been villains and that has allowed them to tread more carefully - creating credible threats and interesting character concepts without treading on the original cast's toes too much (though personally I did find that Tigerclaw was at risk of outshining Shredder at times)

Its when you get new hero characters that things get risky though. I always find myself getting very suspicious of any new character that has to spend an episode proving how 'awesome' they are compared to the old cast - Venus I think was the lesson to learn from for doing that.

Personally I think there are so many old characters from TMNT lore that it might prove a better exercise for the writing team to update and adapt old characters into newer versions than it would be to create new ones from scratch.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
06-10-2016, 10:22 AM
How about the neutrinos? I see them in this one as non-original only by name!

Hero
06-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Would like to see a new character that is more of an ally

TMNTInsighter
06-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Well, looking back on SRMTHFG nowadays, I've recognized that Ciro has this reluctance of going deeper and really peeling back the established characters. The Alchemist stood out most of all. What did we really learn before he became the Skeleton King? Nothing! I doubt it'd happen even if we did get the last season we were expecting but he wasn't the only character whose development seemed fitful at best.
Don't get me wrong, there have been great moments of insight and some surprisingly good traits portrayed by some of the characters in this series (and SRMTHFG it must be said); but most of the time we're given scenes of just the most sketchy plot & character development--just enough to motivate what comes next and rest content with that. Obviously when you have just 22 minutes to tell your story (especially with a couple of commercial breaks in between), it becomes even more important to get to the point but series such as "Batman", "Avatar: TLA", and "Gargoyles" (and maybe the 2003 TMNT) did superb with that and I believe that this series is just as ambitious as them.
I keep hoping that Tiger Claw for one has his potential fully realized this series even though ELS raises some doubts. He's shown a few good moments of originality and insight amongst the henchmen; a tough adversary who's smart, strong, and thinks on his feet; he has a great backstory (we just need to explore it), an interesting desire to be both fearsome and loyal; and both a design and voice that are out of this world. I said once before, he'd be a great addition to a good TMNT movie.