PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the recasting of Shredder and Karai?

Xav
06-09-2016, 12:38 AM
For those who saw the movie do you think it was a good idea to cast Brian Tee and Brittany Ishibashi as Shredder and Karai or should they have just kept Tohoru Masamune and Minae Noji?

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 12:48 AM
For those who saw the movie do you think it was a good idea to cast Brian Tee and Brittany Ishibashi as Shredder and Karai or should they have just kept Tohoru Masamune and Minae Noji?

I haven't seen the movie but I am of two minds. One, it sounds like both roles were of more or less equal length as the first movie (though it sounds like Tee maybe got a bit more face time than Masamune) and even less fighting (as in zero)... so why the hell wouldn't they? It's not like the villain of Tokyo Drift is going to be a draw 13 years after that movie, or even 5. And nobody really knows either Karai actress. Why wouldn't they bring them back? But on the other hand... maybe they dodged a bullet here.

Or maybe, just maybe, they read the "script"?

IndigoErth
06-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Brian Tee looks like a good pick for a Shredder - if they'd actually put him to real use.

I don't understand the point of going through recasting though and then hardly doing anything with the character.

Karai in particular bugged me. No offense intended to Brittany Ishibashi or anything, but... a bit too model-like imo, and they gave her nothing to do. Miss Ninja beauty pageant winner that was largely there as just part of the scenery. During the film she just felt more like some dressed up, painted up ninja doll/mannequin who magically came to life once for one short fight scene, that she couldn't even win.

The lack of use of Karai resulted in ZERO reason for her to even have lived through the prior film. She could have just as well have not survived and this film would not have been impacted in the least. As the one ninja woman who should be involved in the action, and one of only three female characters (sans extras) - and if Karai got any less involvement she'd be no more than an extra - that's just sad.

Minae Noji wasn't used all that much in the first, yet her Karai had a lot more involvement than the new Karai.

Shark_Blade
06-09-2016, 10:09 AM
I gotta say I prefer the previous actors, just my personal visual preference.

Ah well, at least in OOTS Karai vs April & Vern scene is hilarious anyway so it's worth it.

*Karai brandishes sword*

*Vern pushes chair towards her*

*April smacked Karai's head with a laptop and she fell unconscious*

:tlol:

Candy Kappa
06-09-2016, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen Tee and Ishibashi beyond what the trailers have shown.

I do wish Masamune could get a second chance, as we barely saw him under that cgi make-up and he was mostly just a cgi robot. He looks pretty badass in other movies and sereis, have a very cool look and he was completely wasted in the 2014 movie.

But, Brian Tee is pretty hot with that goatee.

I don't feel Ishibashi as Karai, most of the BTS photos of her, she looks a bit awkward in the Totally-what-a-ninja-would-wear-leather/spandex-suit-of-sneak. Which, granted, a lot of costumes don't look that good in BTS photos. I really liked the casting of Noji, she looked pretty good and felt like if she was in a proper TMNT movie she'd be an amazing Karai and not just 2-lines henchman that dropped out of the movie.

Ah well, at least in OOTS Karai vs April & Vern scene is hilarious anyway so it's worth it.

*Karai brandishes sword*

Really?
That's what happens?

Ugh... I hate this movie series so much.

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Minae Noji seemed like a picture perfect Karai to me. Still does. Too bad she was in a truly horrific TMNT film. It's entirely possible her agent or representation cued her into, "Yo, Minae... you do this second one, you're not gonna work again." Hopefully that and not just Platinum Dunes going, "Ehh... let's get someone slightly hotter." Sadly, it was probably the latter.

Hahahah, wow. So we're going from TMNT 2007 where an April O'Neil with only some elementary "ninja training" knocking down Karai with her lifetime of ninja training in a standup fight... to OotS with an April O'Neil with no training actually knocking out Karai with her lifetime of ninja training.

Wow. Just wow.

The Deadman
06-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Yeah, Minae Noji seemed like a picture perfect Karai to me. Still does. Too bad she was in a truly horrific TMNT film. It's entirely possible her agent or representation cued her into, "Yo, Minae... you do this second one, you're not gonna work again." Hopefully that and not just Platinum Dunes going, "Ehh... let's get someone slightly hotter." Sadly, it was probably the latter.

Hahahah, wow. So we're going from TMNT 2007 where an April O'Neil with only some elementary "ninja training" knocking down Karai with her lifetime of ninja training in a standup fight... to OotS with an April O'Neil with no training actually knocking out Karai with her lifetime of ninja training.

Wow. Just wow.

Because the 2007 film was canon to a series that got rebooted...

Bry
06-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Yeah, Minae Noji seemed like a picture perfect Karai to me. Still does. Too bad she was in a truly horrific TMNT film.

That's what's so deeply frustrating. It was bang-on perfect casting for the original Mirage version, and she could have done a terrific job of that role, if anyone involved in writing/producing the movie cared even a tiny bit about things like "character" or "story" or "making a movie that's not the worst".

Says it all:

http://s33.postimg.org/qcbrrkwi7/nojikarai.jpg

Never mind the dumb "creative" decisions that botched the whole project, but Karai was and should be a great, strong character, and by now we know that Bay and Platinum Dunes especially don't know how to create decent roles for women. Or just flat-out don't want to.

neatoman
06-09-2016, 11:08 AM
"Okay, Brian and Brit, you'll be taking over for Tohoru and Minae who basically did nothing in the last one, please follow their example and basically don't do anything."

Yeah, it was really pointless to recast them.

TurtleTitan97
06-09-2016, 11:09 AM
*Karai brandishes sword*

That is just the dumbest thing ever. So instead of having Leo fighting Karai and actually building up their rivalry, they just do this nonsense and take her out like a chump?! Seriously, do Leo and Karai meet face to face even ONCE in this bloody movie???

Talk about disrespecting a character. Screw you PD.

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Never mind the dumb "creative" decisions that botched the whole project, but Karai was and should be a great, strong character,

Absolutely. She was created to be the antithesis of anything resembling an underling. She was the uber boss of the Foot, even above Saki were he still alive.

I guess it's not just PD's fault on this, but every "she's Shredder's thug" or "she's Shredder's daughter" incarnation is very irritating to me and I'd venture even sexist that she has to be so connected at the hip to/under a male character in order to be relevant or acceptable.

IndigoErth
06-09-2016, 11:19 AM
*Karai brandishes sword*

:tlol:
"Okay, Brian and Brit, you'll be taking over for Tohoru and Minae who basically did nothing in the last one, please follow their example and basically don't do anything."
:tlol: (But it's a pained laugh.)

Starting to think that Karai's costuming was an important element, meant to restrict her movement and prevent the actress from trying to break character (or rather break out of their nothing vision of the character) and attempt to actually do something.

Seriously, do Leo and Karai meet face to face even ONCE in this bloody movie???
Nope. Far as I can recall, she seems to just hang around Shredder until she's left alone just once and fights April and Vern. And fails. (I think she may be gone from the film after that?) I don't recall her ever even coming across as a second in command. Looked more like Shredder's tag-along girlfriend.

They really need to include a woman or two among the writing team, someone who might, you know, know how to write for women characters. The man-children doing some of this stuff haven't a clue; I think in some cases "get her boobs in the shot" is as far as it goes for them.

TurtleTitan97
06-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Nope. Far as I can recall, she seems to just hang around Shredder until she's left alone just once and fights April and Vern. And fails. I don't recall her ever even coming across as a second in command. Looked more like Shredder's tag-along girlfriend.

:x Son of a.....!! So it's pretty much a repeat of the first film essentially! Unbelievable!! Listening to fans, my butt!!:roll:

I hope for goodness sakes there is a reboot in the near future, because it's obvious the idiots in charge don't know how to handle these characters.

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 11:41 AM
:x Son of a.....!! So it's pretty much a repeat of the first film essentially! Unbelievable!! Listening to fans, my butt!!:roll:

I hope for goodness sakes there is a reboot in the near future, because it's obvious the idiots in charge don't know how to handle these characters.

They probably didn't know what to do with Karai because there's not a Fred Wolf episode with her in it.

vicsavage
06-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Carmelo Anthony received more character development than she did.

neatoman
06-09-2016, 01:59 PM
They probably didn't know what to do with Karai because there's not a Fred Wolf episode with her in it.

Why did they even bother with Karai at all then? Why not leave her out of the movie entirely?

METALHEAD
06-09-2016, 02:03 PM
That actress will never be karai. She just so bland! Too pretty! The other was strong looking yet pretty. Dem cheek bones....<3

IndigoErth
06-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Heck, Carmelo Anthony was at least a person in it. Karai was essentially a slightly sentient set piece.

Makes me wonder if that is all they really did with her or if there was other footage that got cut.

Utrommaniac
06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Shredder was a welcome change. He may have still been a plank, but it was a plank with some attempt at sanding. Karai, however, is a plankier plank that they just replaced entirely.

How is it that the only kids-aimed TMNT that has Karai kicking April into the dirt is the Nick cartoon?

Andrew NDB
06-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Karai was essentially a slightly sentient set piece.

Makes me wonder if that is all they really did with her or if there was other footage that got cut.

Apparently Minae Noji was cut from quite a bit of the 2014 "film." Which is unfortunate, as she was the only thing interesting to watch in it. This new film, aside from the (probably trivial) Judith Hoag cameo, sounds like they filmed exactly the movie they set out to make.

IndigoErth
06-09-2016, 03:39 PM
I hope sometime after the promoting is over that the actors can eventually talk honestly about it from their own take on how it and their characters turned out, like they (or at least the Turtle guys) did last time.

How is it that the only kids-aimed TMNT that has Karai kicking April into the dirt is the Nick cartoon?
Good point... Teen kids in Nick are highly capable characters, while adults in live action, that should have had many more years of training, and in her case should be second in command, can't handle it. Come on... PD April hasn't even been training like her Nick counterpart.

Powder
06-09-2016, 04:12 PM
I wasn't too keen on the announcement, but I figured if they were gonna have better roles, maybe they needed better actors. Now I feel it was wholly pointless.

THGhost
06-09-2016, 05:13 PM
As much as I enjoyed the movie, I agree that recasting Karai and making her even more of a useless/pointless character was a dreadful decision on the filmmakers' part.

Coola Yagami
06-09-2016, 11:41 PM
Well April did land the finishing blow on Shredder last time..... are we really that surprised she took down Karai? In the next movie she'll take on Bebop and Rocksteady by herself.

myconius
06-10-2016, 05:48 PM
In the next movie she'll take on Bebop and Rocksteady by herself.

they are saving that one for the adult version!! :o

myconius
06-10-2016, 05:49 PM
recasting was kind of pointless since neither actor was really utilized.

neatoman
06-11-2016, 02:34 AM
they are saving that one for the adult version!! :o

Giggety...

MathUser
06-11-2016, 05:33 AM
Brian Tee looks like a good pick for a Shredder - if they'd actually put him to real use.

I don't understand the point of going through recasting though and then hardly doing anything with the character.

Karai in particular bugged me. No offense intended to Brittany Ishibashi or anything, but... a bit too model-like imo, and they gave her nothing to do. Miss Ninja beauty pageant winner that was largely there as just part of the scenery. During the film she just felt more like some dressed up, painted up ninja doll/mannequin who magically came to life once for one short fight scene, that she couldn't even win.

The lack of use of Karai resulted in ZERO reason for her to even have lived through the prior film. She could have just as well have not survived and this film would not have been impacted in the least. As the one ninja woman who should be involved in the action, and one of only three female characters (sans extras) - and if Karai got any less involvement she'd be no more than an extra - that's just sad.

Minae Noji wasn't used all that much in the first, yet her Karai had a lot more involvement than the new Karai.

Wait, you're actually REQUESTING that they kill off characters? That worked real good for TMNT3. They could have just wrote Karai out of the script like Eric Sachs. They didn't need to kill her.

Powder
06-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Reading comprehension, fam.

"She could have just as well have not survived and this film would not have been impacted in the least"

Allow me to translate that for you-

"If Karai had been killed, it would have changed nothing for any of the characters involved nor invoke an emotional response from the audience."

Better yet

"Karai die, nobody notice."

How is that a request? :trolleye: :tlol:

sdp
06-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Why recast if they were essentially going to do nothing?

Original actors were fine and the change makes even less sense with how they were treated in the sequel.

IndigoErth
06-11-2016, 04:05 PM
:tlol: Thank you, Powder.

No, I'm not requesting to kill anyone off. But realistically she prob should not have been able to survive 2014's snow chase scene given the circumstances, and she was so underused this time that they could have just left that to be implied with no loss to this film. Which is unfortunate and my point.

IF a third did happen and she's there... geez, at least make use of her. Put a woman on the writing team if need be or consult a very TMNT and Karai-knowledgeable woman if you (writers) don't write women well.

Clearly after the snow chase she required a lot of plastic surgery and facial reconstruction...

TMNTInsighter
06-11-2016, 07:43 PM
At first I thought them recasting Minae Noji was a huge mistake and an insult to her, but now I think it's a blessing in disguise. Not only did she have nothing to do in the first movie but they've given her replacement the same treatment. It basically turned out to be one of those damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't kind of things for her. She definitely deserves better because she has both acting and VA talent--especially for Tang Shen, you gotta love the work she did for that role!
I won't comment for Brain Tee since I have no plans to suffer through OOTS until it hits my local library but it doesn't sound like his Shredder fared any better than his replacement.

Candy Kappa
06-17-2016, 06:48 AM
Ugh, why did Brian Tee think doing a over the top "badguy voice" was a good idea? It sounds so ridiculous.

ToTheNines
06-17-2016, 06:50 AM
Yeah, he hammed it up more than anyone except maybe Brad Garrett.

IndigoErth
06-17-2016, 11:16 AM
So.. giving the novelization a read as I am, I'm a tad more annoyed at the lack of use of Karai in this film.

Taking my time with it, so I don't know the full extent of her in the book - BUT. Insofar as I have read...

You know that scene where April runs off with the 'ooze' and she's chased after by the Foot? In the book... Karai is a part of it. The scene is just as brief as it is in the film, but she, along with Foot soldiers, goes after April herself. She is the one that knocks the canister from April's hands before it ends up next to the police car.

That April/Karai fight would have been nice to see in the movie. :ohwell:

Granted Karai in the book has had only three or four lines so far, but I guess that's more than the film...

Though two of the lines consist of her shrugging and saying "Makes sense to me," after Baxter explains dormant animal genes; and her telling April, after chasing her, "You shouldn't have run. I don't like having to run." :roll: What happened to smart, ninja (and therefor capable and athletic) Karai? Really, the guys behind this film couldn't write women if their lives depended on it.

Although a short time later, instead of Raph throwing his sai that gets lodged in a street sign pole in front of Casey's face, in the book he's unseen in the shadows and just straight up sucker punches Casey instead. :tlol: So the book does do some things better.

killerkobra
06-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Did not understand Karai being recast. She did nothing in the 2014 movie and did nothing in this one... So why recast?

If I cared for Shredder in the Dunes movies I would care about the actor that played him but I hated the character. Just sad.

Maybe I am too obsessed with TMNT 2012 and that makes me hate anything that strays from that...