PDA

View Full Version : Too far gone?

Andrew NDB
06-13-2016, 05:44 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7365/2Zpokz.jpg

Quantifiable box office failure aside for the latest one, do you think TMNT as a movie franchise too far gone for Platinum Dunes and/or Paramount to right the ship after this? Has audience goodwill been devastated too greatly with the one-two punch of TMNT (2014) and OotS? Things like selling the movie rights to another studio aside, what could they do at this point?

CyberCubed
06-13-2016, 05:47 PM
And it's too late, baby now, it's too late,
Though we really did try to make it.
Somethin' inside has died, and I can't hide,
And I just can't fake it, oh, no, no.

It used to be so easy, livin' here with you.
You were light and breezy, an' I knew just what to do.
Now you look so unhappy, and I feel like a fool.

Though we really did try to make it.
And I just can't fake it, oh, no, no.

There'll be good times again for me and you,
But we just can't stay together; don't you feel it too?
Still I'm glad for what we had and how I once loved you.

Though we really did try to make it. (we can't make it)
And I just can't fake it, oh, no, no, no, no, no, no.

It's too late baby, it's too late now darling
It's too late.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-13-2016, 06:17 PM
PD can never make money off a Ninja Turtles movie again. The ONLY reason people saw the 2014 film was because they said, "Hey! A new TMNT movie! Let's go see it!.... Well, that sucked." PD tried to get clever and bring people in using the same tactic, hoping they'd say, "Hey! Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang in a new TMNT movie!"
Clearly, it didn't work.

But could another studio be able to profit off of a TMNT movie in the near future? I dunno. These movies might have been so stupid that audiences may forget they even existed. That's how I feel with the Amazing Spider-Man films.

Bry
06-13-2016, 06:21 PM
I can't imagine what they're planning to do next, and I have a feeling they don't either. They tried to Bay-ize the property a la Transformers and a lot of people hated it. Then they tried to "fix" it by going all in on nostalgia-pandering, and then that totally failed, financially and critically. Realistically, what could their next option even be?

I imagine they're just praying that China's box office saves the movie so they get another sequel and they don't have to worry about fixing their mistakes.

OrangeNinja1987
06-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Bay and Platinum Dunes must be scrapped. They need to be kicked off of TMNT, and a new development studio must be brought in. I'd personally love to see Golden Harvest again, but Paramount can partner with anyone from Legendary pictures to lionsgate. Bring in producers and a director who knows martial arts films, and can give TMNT the treatment it deserves- someone like Tsui Hark. Bring in people who can bring real passion to the project.

The public's trust must be won back. Commercials and ads must show the TMNT with their classic designs, doing real martial arts, no fanservice-y Megan fox or fart jokes. The next movie can have humor, but it has to take itself seriously. Also, this needs to be a TMNT film that will appeal to nearly everyone- not fandom-faction pandering B.S. focusing on any one version or past incarnation. It needs to appeal to the widest audience possible, and while it can't be the TMNT movie everyone has dreamed of, it can at least please the most amount of people possible in a reasonable way.

Anything but this, and there is a high chance it'll fall flat on it's face. The biggest reason my friends who are TMNT fans didn't go see the second one was the disgust left over from the first. That trust needs to be won back, before this series can live again.

There is no way to please everyone. Usually things that aim to please too wide a range of people ("Hey, this can be a summer R-rated action film, with some jokes for kids on the side, a nice romance, and a Western for a sub-plot to please the elderly. Let's add some horror and aliens, too! And tease a superhero appearing in the sequel!") fail horribly. I just would say to think about the best movie they possibly can, and THEN think about who it's for. Honestly, with a TMNT movie, you can aim for a wide range of demographics, but I think making it a children's movie insures more financial success because of the amount of young fans.
So, since so many TMNT fans are younger, I would advocate for a movie that can please them and adult fans/casuals. It would have lots of action, nods to other incarnations, such as previous movies and the comics, and a ton of Easter eggs for die-hard fans to find. I'd want it to have a darker story, maybe adapting something from Mirage or IDW, but give the story a new twist to make it interesting. But I don't want this to be like the Platinum Dunes movies (which I do happen to enjoy) and completely copy another version of TMNT (PD is pretty much the OT). This should create an entirely new version of TMNT, like what the cartoons do each time (not every cartoon is just the OT re-hashed with the same designs, humor, characters, stories, etc.)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-13-2016, 07:53 PM
1st Post: Andrew
2nd Post: Cubed

Nothing left to see here, folks, the humor has already peaked. :tlol: But please, prove me wrong... I'll wait around to see. :twink:

ProphetofGanja
06-14-2016, 04:41 PM
("Hey, this can be a summer R-rated action film, with some jokes for kids on the side, a nice romance, and a Western for a sub-plot to please the elderly. Let's add some horror and aliens, too! And tease a superhero appearing in the sequel!"

I would totally go see that movie

it'd be better than either PD TMNT movie :tlol:

Aaronardo
06-14-2016, 05:20 PM
There is no way to please everyone. Usually things that aim to please too wide a range of people fail horribly.

See the first Spider-Man movie. As soon as that movie came along and appealed to the broadest of audiences possible (was campy, but had very heavy moments), superhero movies in general were a little more accepted. Then, Spider-Man 2 came along with its considerably darker tone (I'm not talking Winter Soldier here, but you know what I mean), which let people step out of their comfort zones and into a new kind of Spider-Man movie.

If a new studio can acquire TMNT, give the franchise some actual love, and do something similar to that, TMNT will become a lot more accepted by general audiences, I guarantee.

Foombamaroom
06-14-2016, 06:24 PM
See the first Spider-Man movie. As soon as that movie came along and appealed to the broadest of audiences possible (was campy, but had very heavy moments), superhero movies in general were a little more accepted. Then, Spider-Man 2 came along with its considerably darker tone (I'm not talking Winter Soldier here, but you know what I mean), which let people step out of their comfort zones and into a new kind of Spider-Man movie.

If a new studio can acquire TMNT, give the franchise some actual love, and do something similar to that, TMNT will become a lot more accepted by general audiences, I guarantee.
Not only that, but Spider-Man 1 and 2 came out in a time where superheroes were brushed off.

People WILL see a TMNT movie if it looks good. For Christ's sake, Guardians of the Galaxy looked great, was great, and put a lot of people in the seats. If they could do that, TMNT could. They just gotta give the franchise some respect.

Coola Yagami
06-15-2016, 08:07 AM
There is a way to please everyone. Just face the first movie was a horrible mistake and start from the ground up. This movie's biggest fault was being a sequel to the first one, forcing to stay on that same universe and use those same terrible tmnt designs and Micheal Bay comedy. It was NOT an OT movie. It was a sequel to a horrible rendition sprinkled with nostalgic elements to try to cover up past mistakes. But those mistakes shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Andrew NDB
06-30-2016, 04:15 PM
People WILL see a TMNT movie if it looks good. For Christ's sake, Guardians of the Galaxy looked great, was great, and put a lot of people in the seats. If they could do that, TMNT could. They just gotta give the franchise some respect.

Very true.

thundermaster612
06-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Wat if we got anotur toitles movee where the turtels are normal and tehy fight Shredder and stuff and the origin is the splintr is hamato yoshee because all teh movees ahve splinter and Yoshi 2 diff ppls. Like teh 2012 origin and teh turtles fight foot then see kraang then foot and kraang ally then turtles kill kraang and fight shredder and krang and then turtles win by sending the technoddrome to the middle of ocean and den we get 2 movie where krang is ded and shredder rises and turtles kill shredder and stuff.

But what if we just got an average turtles movie. Average looking turtles, average Shredder, average Krang, average everything. The new movies put a new twist on it and I like how they changed everything but kept things too. I can't really imagine what normal turtles would look like with Mo-Cap, well I can but it doesn't work. Well I think I'm going to stop defending the movie cause people are going to go crazy and scream and fight and this thread will get locked and stuff.

Also whats with the leaked Real Steel 3 footage in the opening post? Did Bay really get his fingies on that movie franchise?

did you guys know including the Dinobots fire breath in that 2014 transformers movie there were over 300 explosions? really.

Powder
06-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Nobody is gonna read your posts if you put more effort into making sure your type is eye-rollingly awful than you do the actual quality of your thoughts.

Vegita-San
06-30-2016, 11:23 PM
I can't imagine what they're planning to do next, and I have a feeling they don't either. They tried to Bay-ize the property a la Transformers and a lot of people hated it. Then they tried to "fix" it by going all in on nostalgia-pandering, and then that totally failed, financially and critically. Realistically, what could their next option even be?

I imagine they're just praying that China's box office saves the movie so they get another sequel and they don't have to worry about fixing their mistakes.

Find someone who gives a damn and hope that works.

but hollywood people arn't that forward thinking or caring.. hence why meghan fox keeps getting work.

honestly, with the way hollywood is going down hill with one failed reboot and sequel after another? I doubt we'll ever get the turtles movie we deserve..... unless someone like disney/marvel takes over and buys it.

imagine an Marvel universe tmnt movie.

thundermaster612
07-01-2016, 06:40 AM
Nobody is gonna read your posts if you put more effort into making sure your type is eye-rollingly awful than you do the actual quality of your thoughts.

1. that was the point because nobody reads my posts anyways

2. They'd have to read it to know it has bad spelling

3. you read it.

4. Eh, I'm done here.

Candy Kappa
07-01-2016, 06:43 AM
If you're gonna post like that, of course no ones gonna read past the five first words.

Andrew NDB
07-01-2016, 11:24 AM

3. you read it.

4. Eh, I'm done here.

5. https://www.fws.gov/invasives/volunteersTrainingModule/images/invasives/invasion_mgnt.gif

Powder
07-01-2016, 04:30 PM

3. you read it.

4. Eh, I'm done here.

Some folks do, like myself, at times. When you're not doing the LOLSORANDOM XD thing your contributions are perfectly fine, man.

I read the first half of the first sentence, groaned, briefly skimmed to see if it was consistently horrible (it was) & gave up.

Just be your normal self & all will work in your favor. Otherwise you'll end up a pariah like Mew. :tlol: You have the potential, use it! :)

CyberCubed
07-01-2016, 07:23 PM
This reminds me of something.

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

Pissing the night away
Pissing the night away

He drinks a whiskey drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink

He sings the songs that remind him
Of the good times
Of the best times

ToTheNines
07-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Everyone hates you.

snake
07-01-2016, 08:08 PM
This reminds me of something.

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

Pissing the night away
Pissing the night away

He drinks a whiskey drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink

Of the good times
Of the best times
You've really been listening to 90s music recently, have you?

CyberCubed
07-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Its better than the riffraff they call music today.

Powder
07-01-2016, 08:16 PM

nB9au3UBSqI

snake
07-01-2016, 08:24 PM

https://newimages.bwwstatic.com/upload10/945398/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-10%20at%202_50_38%20PM.jpg

MsMarvelDuckie
07-03-2016, 08:56 PM
I was waiting for someone to do that LOL! As soon as I saw riffraff in Cubed's post I just KNEW that was coming. He's right BTW.

On topic, I guess we will just have to wait until the next mivie comes along and hope it is better. That's really all we CAN do.

IndigoErth
07-03-2016, 10:19 PM
http://www.vintoniowa.org/articles/Entertainment/article1017427.html Vinton, Iowa

“Teenager Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” in 3D opened to an enthusiastic crowd at the Palace last night, Friday, July 1, and will run through Thursday, July 7 at 7 pm every night.

There is no Monday matinee on Monday, July 4.

Megan Fox, Laura Linney, and Will Arnett headline the cast. The turtles battle Stomach Tumor, Shredder, a lady ninja, two mutants – Bebop and Rocksteady – and and dartardly Baxter Stockman, played by Tyler Perry.
Great, Michael Bay has given the Turtles cancer.

(Seriously, "Palace Manager Marcy Horst," what the hell. :lol: Also, "dartardly"?)

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Great, Michael Bay has given the Turtles cancer.

They had it coming.

Vegita-San
08-19-2016, 12:42 PM
I don't know...

Rather than take the high ground and not pay and not see these movies..

maybe I'll take a different approach.

If this is what fans want, just keep supporting it until they get tired of it. maybe that's the best revenge. keeping something they used to love around far longer than it should be.....then they can't get their newer 'better' thing...

sigh.
remember the days when hollywood respected the older, built in fan base? no ? me either..

Metalwolf
08-21-2016, 07:44 AM
I just would say to think about the best movie they possibly can, and THEN think about who it's for. Honestly, with a TMNT movie, you can aim for a wide range of demographics, but I think making it a children's movie insures more financial success because of the amount of young fans.
So, since so many TMNT fans are younger, I would advocate for a movie that can please them and adult fans/casuals. No offense, but that is what they tried in the last two movies. They tried making the first Turtles 'for casuals' and when that didn't take they tried the more childish approach in the second movie. As such, it didn't work and now movie Turtles are sorta seen as a joke. Plus for younger fans, their main exposure right now is to Nick, not to FW or to anything older. Any movie 'geared' towards them might as well just be a live version of the Nick show.

It would have lots of action, nods to other incarnations, such as previous movies and the comics, and a ton of Easter eggs for die-hard fans to find. I'd want it to have a darker story, maybe adapting something from Mirage or IDW, but give the story a new twist to make it interesting. You do know this approach would not easily be for the kiddies, right? I'm not opposed to it at all (as it would make TMNT reputable again) but with your earlier statement about making the movies even more for the kids, this kind of confuses me.

Chris
08-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Since a third film in the current style seems extremely unlikely at this point I think they'll leave it a little while and try again (assuming the whole comic book movie bubble doesn't burst first but we've no reason to assume that at the moment).

Personally I'd love them to do a loose adaptation of the IDW series. The first 12 issues could be the basis of a solid first movie (though they'd obviously need to give the Shredder conflict a definitive resolution for the film as it would need to stand alone rather than assume sequels were a guarantee).

Of course they could also opt to do lower budget direct to DVD/Blu Ray sequels to the current franchise if they really wanted to continue it.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-29-2016, 06:10 AM
I'd love to see a film take the turtles to a more classic-looking Mirage/OT/Henson style, with an original story and a new cast and crew. Pull from all sources of turtle lore equally, and give us something everyone can enjoy.

It'll never happen in a billion years, though