PDA

View Full Version : Custom Volume 3 TPBs

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-14-2016, 07:02 PM
First, a side by side comparison. To make sure I didn't lose any artwork or text to margins, I went with the larger 8.5"x11" format. As you can see, it's a tad bigger than the standard comic or TPB.

http://i.imgur.com/CI6kVFQ.jpg

Except for the Issue #24/25 conclusion (its own TPB), every TPB has a blank rear cover with some boiler plate "TMNT doesn't belong to me and this isn't for sale so please don't sue me" text.

http://i.imgur.com/pk2h7Ts.jpg

I already own the only Image TMNT TPB (collecting the first five issues) so here's the rest of the volume... #6-23 and our own Andrew's #24/25 conclusion!

http://i.imgur.com/9z79HUI.jpg

And here's my singlemost favorite TMNT cover art ever.

http://i.imgur.com/DkRK6Fc.jpg

I wrapped the full cover of #25 for the last TPB... I will never stop thanking Andrew, Powder, and the rest of the guys for this amazing conclusion. So, that said, thanks again, guys! :tcool:

http://i.imgur.com/JlKQQT4.jpg

Also, the first collection of chronologically-ordered Tales from Tales Volume 2. Mostly the Leatherhead/Hamato Hana stories, "The Path", and "Change of Power." Oh, and "Blind Sight"... maybe one or two other issues.

http://i.imgur.com/w2Uuims.jpg

A sample of the interiors... it looks like my worries about margins were unnecessary, thank goodness. I was really sweating... there were just so many factors that could have screwed me over if I wasn't paying close attention.

http://i.imgur.com/UrWFIbn.jpg

One of those factors was a double-page spread or splash or whatever they're called. Those were tricky but I think I pulled it off.

http://i.imgur.com/93tlIDa.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-14-2016, 07:04 PM
I've got files ready for upload for my second desired collection of chronological tales, bridging the gap between Image Vol 3 and Mirage Vol 4 (Cha Ocho, Donny/Glurin tales, some others...) and all of Volume 4 + "White Horses" inserted at the end of one of the volumes.

I hope to pull the trigger on those next month...

CyberCubed
06-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Very nice. How much did this cost you?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Very nice. How much did this cost you?

A little under $40. The Volume 4 issues are closer to 30 pages in length on average, I think, whereas the Volume 3 issues are closer to 20... so I'm assuming it could be a little more for the rest of them.

marcelangelo
06-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Wow, i really wish I could have exactly those tpbs too!!especially since I don't have all the vol 3 books myself..could you see a way for fellow dromers to get a copy of those too perhaps?
Congratulations!

TheMasterTurtle
06-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Any chance the local printer is up to take on some work? I'd love to do something like this and for that matter get some original stuff made as trades.

miru
06-15-2016, 12:25 AM
I'd love to make my own trades for trades that won't happen. Like a "The River" set, or a "Chronoligical Mirage" that ends with Odyssey.

And how did you make these trades?

Nortock Diab
06-15-2016, 01:12 AM
They look awesome. Congratulation.
And in my opinion, $40 is a steal.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Any chance the local printer is up to take on some work? I'd love to do something like this and for that matter get some original stuff made as trades.

It's an online self-publishing company, so yes, they are available and support more traditional comic sizes and setups.

I'd love to make my own trades for trades that won't happen. Like a "The River" set, or a "Chronoligical Mirage" that ends with Odyssey.

And how did you make these trades?

I found digital versions of the comics I wanted to print online*, used 7zip to extract the scanned images from the .CBR/CBZ files, renamed the images so that everything would be in order, and then printed them to PDF. From there, online conversion tools handled the rest. It's actually pretty simple and (once you've set everything up) a fairly quick online process.

*There are also alternate methods to physically bind actual comics in hardback or paperback, but that process would take much longer, as it's pretty hard to find some of these issues.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Wow, i really wish I could have exactly those tpbs too!!especially since I don't have all the vol 3 books myself..could you see a way for fellow dromers to get a copy of those too perhaps?
Congratulations!

So I've done some thinking on this, and I don't think I can pass these along.

That would take me much deeper into the murky legal waters, seeing how I neither possess nor claim any rights to any of these characters. The only reason Andrew and his crew are able to do it is because they've produced fan fiction and are not making a profit--these are not fan fiction. The rights are owned by others, and that includes the right to distribute as well. Even if I'm not making money on distributing these, I'm pretty sure I'm stepping on toes and putting myself in a very unpleasant legal position.

I'm still treading very lightly in reprinting my own. I'm assuming this is seen as the same as sending in my physical comics and having them bound by a bookbinder. We shall see.

(IDW, please don't send the snipers...)

DrSpengler
06-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Those are gorgeous!

I've heard of comic binding sites, but I've always resisted them since it would require destroying my original singles. Your method of creating high res digital files to be used for the printing/binding process is far more palatable. Also, your decision to widen the margins was a good choice, especially on those two-page spreads, as now nothing gets lost in the page fold (I'd much rather have a slight "break" in the image via the margin than have art lost in a bind you can't open all the way).

Great stuff!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Those are gorgeous!

I've heard of comic binding sites, but I've always resisted them since it would require destroying my original singles. Your method of creating high res digital files to be used for the printing/binding process is far more palatable. Also, your decision to widen the margins was a good choice, especially on those two-page spreads, as now nothing gets lost in the page fold (I'd much rather have a slight "break" in the image via the margin than have art lost in a bind you can't open all the way).

Great stuff!

Thanks DrS!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Volume 4 TPBs a few minutes ago... too excited to wait. I should hopefully have photos on those in another week or two!

Andrew NDB
06-15-2016, 04:41 PM
I already own the only Image TMNT TPB (collecting the first five issues) so here's the rest of the volume... #6-23 and our own Andrew's #24/25 conclusion!

http://i.imgur.com/9z79HUI.jpg

I wrapped the full cover of #25 for the last TPB... I will never stop thanking Andrew, Powder, and the rest of the guys for this amazing conclusion. So, that said, thanks again, guys! :tcool:

http://i.imgur.com/JlKQQT4.jpg

Very cool.

oldmanwinters
06-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Impressive fan dedication, to say the least!

Those are gorgeous!

Great stuff!

What he said!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Well, I just received official notice from the publishing/printing company that this violates their legal/copyright policies and my order for my custom Volume 4 TPBs is being canceled and refunded.

So, it's now a no-go. Oh well, I understand their position. Hopefully this is the end of it...

ProphetofGanja
06-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Damn, that's ******** yo. All you're doing is trying to enjoy a work of art that has been left by the wayside, it's not like they're currently publishing anything like you were trying to create, and it's not like you were making dozens of copies to sell for profit

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Damn, that's ******** yo. All you're doing is trying to enjoy a work of art that has been left by the wayside, it's not like they're currently publishing anything like you were trying to create, and it's not like you were making dozens of copies to sell for profit

Eh, I see their point. I should have reviewed their whole user/member agreement again before doing this (it's been awhile since I looked at it).

I just figured they would've shut down the first batch. Oh well.

As long as it goes no further than this, I'll be happy.

Powder
06-21-2016, 03:22 PM
If anyone finds a place who'll do something like this, holla @ me. I wanna print up the translated Manga for myself.

CyberCubed
06-21-2016, 04:11 PM
At least you're not being sued.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 06:45 PM
At least you're not being sued.

That's what I said...

ProphetofGanja
06-21-2016, 06:48 PM
You'd probably only get a cease-and-desist letter, you weren't mass-producing copies to sell out of your garage or anything

CyberCubed
06-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Its very odd that you got stopped from printing a single collection for yourself, yet Andrew was able to print 150-200 copies of a TMNT book (which the printer would know he would have the intent to sell, because why would you print over 100 copies of something otherwise?), and allowed it to happen. And Andrew was able to do it three times over so far with no problems.

ProphetofGanja
06-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Yeah that's weird

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Its very odd that you got stopped from printing a single collection for yourself, yet Andrew was able to print 150-200 copies of a TMNT book (which the printer would know he would have the intent to sell, because why would you print over 100 copies of something otherwise?), and allowed it to happen. And Andrew was able to do it three times over so far with no problems.

Well, I mean, different business models possibly?

Definitely legal stuff. I don't blame them for not wanting to risk it.

CyberCubed
06-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Must be just the different publishing company since you're in Texas and Andrew is...wherever. Either that or Andrew was friends with the printer or made some deal (read: bribe) to make it happen. :p

Sabacooza
06-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Didn't Andrew have them printed in Russia?

Diorm
09-08-2016, 02:48 PM
And here I wanted to do the same thing... I guess I'll have to wait for any official TPB.... like it's gonna happen :roll:

DK2
09-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Pretty neat about these Vol. 3 TPB's you've done. Hopefully IDW gets around to this run. I wish Mirages 2009 TMNT Collected Book had like an extra inch in width at the spine. The gutter loss was bad to read through such a big book and the fragile spine didn't help matters. Has anyone's copy split apart? Most curious about that. All their other TPB's from a few years ago were OK to read through since they're smaller.

John Pannozzi
09-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Well, I mean, different business models possibly?

Definitely legal stuff. I don't blame them for not wanting to risk it.

Plus Andrew was printing fan fiction, while you were reprinting preexisting material without the owners' permission.

Krutch
09-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Very cool. Nice work!

myconius
09-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Well, I just received official notice from the publishing/printing company that this violates their legal/copyright policies and my order for my custom Volume 4 TPBs is being canceled and refunded.

So, it's now a no-go. Oh well, I understand their position. Hopefully this is the end of it...

those are really beautiful books!

at least you got all of vol. 3 done.