PDA

View Full Version : Is Paris really that bad a place to visit?

CyberCubed
06-15-2016, 02:45 AM
So I've been reading this thread on neogaf, and because I believe everything I read on the internet, a lot of people have been talking about how Paris has lots of rude people and their experience on vacation/traveling is horrible:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233281

Apparently Paris is nothing like what movies/tv showcase it as, and in reality its a dirty city and Parisians are rude people if you don't speak the language and are foreigners.

Read through that thread and a lot of people had similar experiences. Is Paris really that bad? I guess it isn't what media portrays it as.

Candy Kappa
06-15-2016, 02:59 AM
I had a great time when I was visiting Paris. People was nice and helpful, everyone we met knew English to some degree.

And Disneyland was a blast.

Nortock Diab
06-15-2016, 03:32 AM
I am from Paris (born, raised and still living there).
Obviously I love the city where I spent about 30 years of my life.

Yet I can understand people can be disappointed after having been in touch will all the books and movies depicting Paris.
That's about the same thing for every city in the world in my opinion but with Paris it might be even more perceivable due to all the fuss.

My advice, keep out of the tourist rails.
Do not try to see "everything" in one short stay.
Take tips from locals.

This should guarantee you a nice stay :tgrin:.

ToTheNines
06-15-2016, 04:51 AM
Why do you ask, cubed? Planning a little romantic getaway with Melissa?

Mayhem
06-15-2016, 04:54 AM
As an Englishman who has visited France on a number of occasions, and Paris twice, then I'd say yes, some of it is true, but that's like most cities. There are good and bad parts, clean and dirty parts, cheap and expensive parts (mostly the tourist traps).

One piece of advice, learn some French and know how to pronounce what you're saying correctly. A good proportion of French people will know English, but I've found them to be a lot more ingratiating if you at least attempt to converse properly in French first instead of lumbering straight into English heh.

Nortock Diab
06-15-2016, 07:10 AM
One piece of advice, learn some French and know how to pronounce what you're saying correctly. A good proportion of French people will know English, but I've found them to be a lot more ingratiating if you at least attempt to converse properly in French first instead of lumbering straight into English heh.

I agree on that, a statement true in every part of the world I believe.

I forgot to say fellow dromers coming to Paris shall let me know.
Beer and comic shops guaranteed.
First round is on me.

TurtleTitan97
06-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Why do you ask, cubed? Planning a little romantic kidnapping with Melissa?

Fixed it for ya. :lol:

Utrommaniac
06-15-2016, 08:48 AM
I had a little bit of trouble with Paris, but it was because we were terribly unprepared for the cold and weather. It rained most of the time we were there, we didn't have proper coats, and on our first day out, I tripped into a puddle coming down from a (very tall) sidewalk. Slipped out of shoes I was not used to wearing (wedges...never again!) and sprained my toe. Hurt the entire week and we eventually had to get flat shoes in the Metro a few days later. Granted, for being cheap Metro shoes, they ended up being one of the best sets I'd ever had.

I also got left behind at the Metro. Doors shut on my just as I was about to step in, and I had to yell to my mom through them to figure out where we were going, and catch up to them on my own.

The Mona Lisa is also terrifyingly crowded at the Louvre.

Considering how badly Paris is flooding right now, it's best not to go anyway. I've walked on places that can be swam in. They had to close the Louvre to empty out the basement because the water was getting in.

snake
06-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Fixed it for ya. :lol:

Goddamnit you did it before me. You're too fast.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2016, 09:57 AM
Why do you ask, cubed? Planning a little romantic getaway with Melissa?

Line of the day. :tlol:

TurtleTitan97
06-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Goddamnit you did it before me. You're too fast.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/557df1e52351c3d9f1712fe610e045d2/tumblr_n37smp5Y9C1qfh70bo1_500.gif

The Deadman
06-15-2016, 06:06 PM
Good to see Cubed is visiting the sh*tstorm of forums known as NeoGaf.

Prowler
06-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Been to Paris twice. Didn't have any issues.

joefsas
06-16-2016, 03:02 AM
I've been to Paris. I have to admit, I thought it was a bit of a dump! Not what I was expecting at all.

Utrommaniac
06-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Really, the best part about the trip for me was the drive to Brussels.
We couldn't get out of any other airport except for the one in Belgium.

The French countryside is beautiful. I loved it, and if I were to go to France again, it would be in those areas. Or just spend more time in Brussels.

That and the Musée d'Orsay...especially after seeing it in the Van Gogh episode of Doctor Who.

Jephael
06-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Q0TafeCnVNU