PDA

View Full Version : IDW and reader impatience

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-21-2016, 06:09 AM
Sorry guys, was just being dumb again.

Powder
06-21-2016, 06:17 AM
A whiny opinion about other allegedly whiny opinions merits it's own thread? 2016, crazy times.

I haven't seen that kind of outcry at all, be it for Shredder's immediate return or the end/removal of the pantheon. One or two people in the review thread are bored with it at present, that's all. That's their right. You could've replied to them there instead of doing a forum-wide lecture & trying to speak for everybody.

thundermaster612
06-21-2016, 06:34 AM
I haven't been able to keep up with the comics. What's all this sh*t about Shredder coming back?

psychturtle
06-21-2016, 09:06 AM
I'd just say speak for yourself panda. I don't see all the complaining I guess. I see regular fan discussion and opinion. Go check out Marvel forums if you think this is bad. They just made Steve Rogers a Hydra Agent....

Utrommaniac
06-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Because we'd rather see Shredder than some magic fox lady that we barely know and has mostly d*cked around most of the story. Moreover, at least for me, the magic-fantasy element feels out of place in a story that's mostly science-fiction. We're into Tengu Shredder territory now, if we want to compare to previous storylines.

I do, however, think that the Pantheon arch can be pulled off far better than Tengu Shredder, and I'm wondering what the heck is going to happen after #100 because at this point, sky's the limit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm not just talking about here, this isn't lecturing the forums, but I have seen all over the place, in different threads, and boards, and the few TMNT fans in my comic shop 'when is shredder coming back, when is this boring pantheon stuff over, etc. I wasn't referring to you guys directly I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. :-?

Unfortunately, your statement did come across as aimed directly at we on the 'Drome who have expressed frustration with the "all talk, no show" Pantheon stuff we've been getting.

Whereas, I believe all of us on here are:

#1. Excited to explore new villains who are not Oroku Saki
#2. Equally excited at the prospect of Saki coming back one day (years in the future, many issues from now) and the prophecy of the Dragon Warrior being fulfilled.
#3. Losing interest in the Pantheon simply because we continue to be given little to none actual knowledge or understanding of the Pantheon. You can only have some big bad in the shadows cackling with evil glee and promising to do evil things before most people lose interest and the impact of any eventual reveal is greatly lessened.

Basically, foreplay has to eventually lead to intercourse.

Also, a thought occurs to me. If Rat King (a preexisting favorite character) wasn't explicitly known to be a member of the Pantheon, I think our patience with the Pantheon would be absolutely 0%.

ChosenOne
06-21-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm all for more Pantheon stuff, so long as it's not just Kitsune chatting away with other characters over a cup of tea for pages on end, or showing off her gruesome demonic face, or mind-controlling Alopex through the power of vague words. Issue #59 played out exactly like I feared it would, a great big nothing that ended in exactly the same place as #58. Anyone who couldn't infer what had happened in the HQ while the Turtles were gone by themselves, without an issue-long flashback, should be reading Amazing Adventures instead.

Give us more Pantheon members, have them actually do something and pose a threat like Chi-You did... Or else just spend some time on the tons of other villains that are out there waiting for their turn. We've got the Phantoms and very likely Dunn as well coming up in #61, but I for one am very, very excited for Bishop to jump in and start complicating things for the Turtles. Not to mention Hob, Hun, Stockman, Ch'rell, Leatherhead, Null... You know, all the interesting characters.

And Shredder? Yeah, I want him to return. Eventually. It feels inevitable for #100 but with so much ground to cover and so many rich characters to explore, well, I've said it once and I'll say it again, this series could very well afford to save his resurrection as the big event of #150.

Utrommaniac
06-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Cylons makes a good point.

The biggest problem with the Pantheon arch is that we've had too little for far too long. I honestly forget that the Pantheon is a thing from time to time because of how low-impact it's been.

While we could argue delayed gratification, it's been delayed for so long, with so little information, that that it hasn't been good.

Krang and Shredder were worth investing in. Not only because they were familiar nostalgia-wise, but also because we knew who they were within this story. We had their backstories and some touches of empathy.
Krang lost everything because of his father. In trying to be better than his father, he instead, became worse. He wanted to fix what had been broken at the cost of his own morality.
Oroku Saki was played like a puppet and was denied his personal history. He wanted control, and got it...at the cost of his own morality.
We know next to nothing about Kitsune's history, other than she doesn't get along with her siblings. As far as we know, she never had a morality; she never had redeemable qualities. Like love and distress that literally destroys worlds, and fear of control that ironically leads into the hands of a worse manipulator.

We were more invested in Krang and Shredder because they were more interesting as characters; they were more "human". Kitsune has not made herself easy to empathize with, and thus, not worth investing interest in. She's given us no personal history, no real motivation, and nothing besides being a mustache-less twirling villain.

Here's a list of things that are more interesting than the pantheon arch:

Are the Mutanimals going to crumble?
How does Dunn know about mutants? Who is he?
Who is Harold's ex? Why did she backstab him?
Will Pigeon Pete finally have blueberry cola?
What are Ch'rell's war crimes and why do the Utroms consider them heroics?
What would happen if Leatherhead and Hob met? They have similar histories. Will they clash or get along? Would Leatherhead's addition bring a split to the Mutanimals?
Will Lindsey get a job without getting kidnapped first?
Who would win in a temper fight: Slash or Leatherhead?
How's Leatherhead going to get that belt off?
What's Null's deal? Where is she from? Why is she here?

A mutant pigeon tasting a long-desired soda would be more interesting than Kitsune. At least for me. Give him the soda, damn it! We've seen even less from Null than we have from Kitsune, she's basically done the same kind of poking around than Kitsune, but even she's more worth learning about.

plastroncafe
06-21-2016, 10:58 AM
So the talky-talk pace of the comic continues?
That's good to know.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 11:08 AM
I completely forgot about Chi-You! That makes me a little less bored with the Pantheon.

And I'm ready to admit that once we get a better idea of what Kitsune is even trying to accomplish, things will be much more bearable in hindsight.

But for right now, after two years of "foxes stick together", we really need to see more.

And at this point, I feel like Issue #60 is just going to show Kitsune escaping, Alopex escaping, Saki's body stolen, and still no clue as to what is going on or why.

Which is extremely frustrating. If Saki's body is so important, why didn't Kitsune act earlier? In the Gauntlet battle #50 showdown, like we all assumed?

Utrommaniac
06-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Plus the turtles having their summary-mentioned collapse, while Donatello basically shows up from Burnow like this
https://65.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me5zjnBUNB1rzhnr4.gif

I'm guessing she didn't think it was "time" yet. She still had to play Splinter a little bit, drag in the Phoenix part of the Pantheon, which I'm sure we're mostly agreed is Splinter. (I guess you could say "Save Jennika" was the order of the Phoenix :tcool: ...I'll show myself out.)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 11:33 AM
The Phoenix thing is quite interesting.

And Harry Potter jokes are to be rewarded, not punished.

I dunno, there's definitely been a few snippets here and there. But the moments when we're supposed to get insights into the Pantheon and all we get are sitting around drinking tea / eating barbeque and the reveals keep getting pushed further and further out...

ProphetofGanja
06-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Ok let me get in on this bitchfest if I may...

I agree that the pacing of the Pantheon subplot has been glacial. I think one of the only reasons I haven't minded it quite so much as others is because as a longtime Mignolaverse fan, I'm used to plot points being teased and hinted at years in advance, and sometimes introduced and then seemingly forgotten. The Pantheon is still really intriguing to me, but we really need something to happen or for the story to focus on other plot threads. Kitsune has worn out her "mwa ha ha ha look how deviously I plot and scheme" schtick, and Rat King seems like all he wants to do is troll people. Chi You was interesting because in the short time we saw him he was actually Getting Sh!t Done, he's the reason we have a Casey with the promise of being interesting again and I really hope he makes more appearances in the main series or TMNTU. Aka has potential, as she's the only Pantheon member we know of so far with any altruistic tendencies. We need to learn more about the squid guy, and the snake guy, and whoever else the other Pantheon members are.

That said, I'm pretty confident IDW will make some kind of change in the current status quo with issue #60, likely Kitune parting ways with the Foot and acting in her own best interests again. Then I hope the story will spend some time focusing on all the tertiary characters already mentioned: Null, Dunn, Bishop, the Street Phantoms, Leatherhead, the Time Lords, et cetera.

At least B&RDE #4 should be balls-to-the-wall crazy tomorrow, that'll be entertaining

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Well, we've learned one thing at least. (By inference)

Kitsune wanted Saki to win the Gauntlet battle, but was prepared to resurrect him if necessary. That's my assumption.