PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Mutant Wuxia Turtles!

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-21-2016, 09:12 AM
TMNT Out of the Shadows tanked in America, so I'm betting Platinum Dunes is done with it. If this movie were a hit in China, I'd love to see what a Hong Kong Martial arts studio could do with TMNT. How about a movie based on Archie, where they visit China and team up with the warrior Dragon against Chien Kahn and a not-yet-reformed Ninjara. What does everyone else think?

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 09:13 AM
So what does everybody else think?

It makes me sad more than anything that Hollywood panders so pathetically to the Chinese now.

TurtleTitan97
06-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Not really a fan of the idea.

NinjaPug
06-21-2016, 09:36 AM
The first one only did $60 million in China. Doubt this one will be that much more popular (if at all) and it certainly won't reach Warcraft numbers.

Also, not a fan of your idea.

TrickOrTreater
06-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Tailor the next film to it's target Chinese audience.

Yeah. Don't just make a good movie with good writing and interesting characters and a compelling story.

Just tailor-make it to pander to a foreign box office.

Sabacooza
06-21-2016, 12:00 PM
The idea of these movies catering to the Chinese sickens me. It makes me feel like the property is being held hostage.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 12:59 PM
There's a lot of freedom in art in the west that helps the TMNT be who they are. When you're making a film for Chinese audiences, you have to be a bit more careful of what messages you could be sending.

For instance, in a Chinese film, the TMNT could never, ever have a negative run-in with law enforcement. This would put our heroes at odds with the government, and we wouldn't want the people to have such an idea in their heads, right?

In a Chinese film, the Foot Clan could not seem too competent, or too powerful. Recently the Shredder has been portrayed as a rich politician of sorts, in the 4Kids series and the recent Bay film especially. That would have to change - after all, no politician is corrupt in China. It just would be a false message to the audience, right?

TigerClaw
06-21-2016, 01:11 PM
There's a lot of freedom in art in the west that helps the TMNT be who they are. When you're making a film for Chinese audiences, you have to be a bit more careful of what messages you could be sending.

For instance, in a Chinese film, the TMNT could never, ever have a negative run-in with law enforcement. This would put our heroes at odds with the government, and we wouldn't want the people to have such an idea in their heads, right?

In a Chinese film, the Foot Clan could not seem too competent, or too powerful. Recently the Shredder has been portrayed as a rich politician of sorts, in the 4Kids series and the recent Bay film especially. That would have to change - after all, no politician is corrupt in China. It just would be a false message to the audience, right?
Yeah, even though China has a communist government, they don't want people having ideas of revolting against them, which is why they control everything, including media.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 01:13 PM
In the Sony email leak a couple years ago, I remember the studio executives were sweating about the possibility that the communist censorship board would be cutting out a pivotal scene of the 'Robocop' remake.

Candy Kappa
06-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Eh, I don't think Wuxia fits the Turtles.

But, I guess it would be in line with the bullet proof, super-powered PD Turtles. Why not add water running, the ability to jump kick 20 ft up in the air and air gliding.

plastroncafe
06-21-2016, 01:18 PM
The idea of these movies catering to the Chinese sickens me. It makes me feel like the property is being held hostage.

If you replace "Chinese" with "The MPAA" I agree.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 01:57 PM

Oh, please. The MPAA are so easily manipulated by film companies.

snake
06-21-2016, 01:59 PM

The MPAA do sh*t. What are you even talking about?

plastroncafe
06-21-2016, 02:06 PM
You are right, they do sh!t.

UTL3XMDwY0c
Great movie, highly recommend.

Jester
06-21-2016, 02:19 PM

https://d.justpo.st/media/images/2016/04/10/when-people-ask-me-if-we-should-get-fries-or-wings-with-our-pizza-why-not-both-1460322811.jpg

snake
06-21-2016, 02:21 PM
You are right, they do sh!t.

UTL3XMDwY0c
Great movie, highly recommend.

Hollywood is shady! Wow! Never knew!

What the f*ck does this even have to do with the thread? Are you drunk?

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 02:24 PM
What in the world are you bitching about, plastron?

The MPAA is just another tool for Hollywood to make as much money as they can, and they's so easily manipulated that they're not even reliable anymore. PG-13 is the golden rating, because parents will let their younger kids see the film and the older ones will go because a PG-13 rating means it's edgy enough for them.

The MPAA does have a little power, yeah, but it's pretty easy to side-step them. The film Taxi Driver was so gory it was originally going to get an X rating. The solution was to just send it to the ratings board over and over again until they were desensitized to the violence, and eventually it got a lighter rating. The only change they made was they made the blood less colorful, and the MPAA ate it all up.

That's why a f*cked-up looking film like Suicide Squad gets away with a PG-13 rating.

plastroncafe
06-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Not yet, but the day ain't over!

snake
06-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Not yet, but the day ain't over!

Ok, same schtick as usual. Go home, you're drunk.

plastroncafe
06-21-2016, 02:33 PM
If we're going to bitch about how the creative endeavors of movies are curtailed by external factors, ie: a movie being "held hostage" by China, then I think it's relevant to point out that the same kind of creative curtailing happens here.

Changing the color of blood.
Having a guy hump a pie one less time.
Allowing women to be naked, but not men.
What profanity is okay, and how many times can it be said.

You're right, it's not entirely in keeping with the overall "theme" of the thread, but I wasn't the one who started in on how horrible the Chinese are.
We've got the same issue here.

Jester is right, both suck.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Personally I think the MPAA restrictions can invite filmmakers to be more creative in how they express their ideas.

snake
06-21-2016, 02:40 PM
If we're going to bitch about how the creative endeavors of movies are curtailed by external factors, ie: a movie being "held hostage" by China, then I think it's relevant to point out that the same kind of creative curtailing happens here.

Changing the color of blood.
Having a guy hump a pie one less time.
Allowing women to be naked, but not men.
What profanity is okay, and how many times can it be said.

You're right, it's not entirely in keeping with the overall "theme" of the thread, but I wasn't the one who started in on how horrible the Chinese are.
We've got the same issue here.

Jester is right, both suck.

China banned Back To The Future. We should be THANKFUL we can get away with what we can.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 02:45 PM
China banned Back To The Future. We should be THANKFUL we can get away with what we can.

Lol, I'd forgotten about that.

The difference between the Chinese censorship board and the MPAA is that the former bans entire ideas. The MPAA doesn't ban anything, and at worst will only make it hard for studios to make a little extra dough on a film.

plastroncafe
06-21-2016, 02:50 PM
They don't call it banning, no. What they'll do is give it a rating such that no theater in the country will screen it.
But you're both right, we don't have it so bad here. We should be grateful.

snake
06-21-2016, 03:12 PM
They don't call it banning, no. What they'll do is give it a rating such that no theater in the country will screen it.
But you're both right, we don't have it so bad here. We should be grateful.

The movies that got rated like that probably weren't even that good.

Powder
06-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Please stop pawning off your would-be fan-fiction as otherwise unassuming threads. Your entire schtick is "Do you like my idea? Why not?" It's like a less manic Jakesully routine.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-21-2016, 04:31 PM

If a movie has so much sex or violence that it receives an 'X' rating, it probably wasn't going to be the next Citizen Kane. It was probably intended to get that sort of rating anyway. No need to shed crocodile tears for those poor X-rated films.

plastroncafe
06-21-2016, 08:09 PM
If a movie has so much sex or violence that it receives an 'X' rating, it probably wasn't going to be the next Citizen Kane. It was probably intended to get that sort of rating anyway. No need to shed crocodile tears for those poor X-rated films.

We'll never know.
But I'm sure you're right. We really are better off.

thundermaster612
06-25-2016, 02:55 PM
https://d.justpo.st/media/images/2016/04/10/when-people-ask-me-if-we-should-get-fries-or-wings-with-our-pizza-why-not-both-1460322811.jpg

I take it that's your favorite motivational, Jester?

Also what the hell is a Wuxia

Candy Kappa
06-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Also what the hell is a Wuxia

Wuxia is the genre name of Kung-Fu fiction that display superhuman abilities set in ancient China.

Movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers or The Forbidden Kingdom.

vicsavage
06-25-2016, 03:21 PM
The movies that got rated like that probably weren't even that good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NC-17_rated_films

There's a lot of great films on that list.

Powder
06-28-2016, 03:37 PM
I think I had a dream this happened today? A movie set in China, I mean. Nothing like your idea.

I don't remember much but I was watching (or living?) a new Bayturtles movie scene. They were in the forest of what I believe was China, jumping from tree to tree & doing otherwise actually ninja-like stuff. Was a neat sequence. They eventually got to this ruddy shack deep into the woods which as it turned out was a secret club-house for these little kids, both boys & girls. No real evidence to suggest it but I got the impression they were orphans. Anyways, they were all Chinese, friends of the turtles, & wore black headbands tied similarly to the TMNT's masks & had some makeshift weapons. The turtles were being chased down (by ninjas, maybe? I dunno, never saw the enemy) & the kids were prepared to aid them- they had set a bunch of traps & stuff throughout the area, had bow/arrow at the ready, & various more kid-friendly means of stopping or inconveniencing foes. I guess the green fellas had trained them a little in the time they spent together? Who knows. It was kinda cool though, absurd as it is. Got the vibe they believed the turtles were guardians of the forest/nature, so they felt a duty to serve them. Piecing things together tells me they were hiding among the foliage on their eastern "vacation" & hadda come up with that excuse to explain their presence to these children. :tlol: Makes sense.

This is where I went into a deeper sleep or something because my memory went blank. It did pick back up, though, just after whatever happened there happened. The turtles were being separated by the elements, & they were all screaming out to one another. Donnie was being washed away in a turbulent body of water (with Raph trying desperately to grab his hand but failing), Leo was lost in crumbling mountainside (mudslide?) & I think Mikey was caught in trees or a trap or something. Not entirely sure about him, I might've actually BEEN him 'cause I was experiencing this part first-person & don't recall seeing the orange-clad turtle. Context clues suggest the area had been rigged with explosives, unless perhaps this was some supernatural force shaking the earth up.

At any rate, now I'm somewhat more open to the idea, at least if it were done in a sorta mystical way, that is.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-02-2016, 11:15 AM
I think I had a dream this happened today? A movie set in China, I mean. Nothing like your idea.

I don't remember much but I was watching (or living?) a new Bayturtles movie scene. They were in the forest of what I believe was China, jumping from tree to tree & doing otherwise actually ninja-like stuff. Was a neat sequence. They eventually got to this ruddy shack deep into the woods which as it turned out was a secret club-house for these little kids, both boys & girls. No real evidence to suggest it but I got the impression they were orphans. Anyways, they were all Chinese, friends of the turtles, & wore black headbands tied similarly to the TMNT's masks & had some makeshift weapons. The turtles were being chased down (by ninjas, maybe? I dunno, never saw the enemy) & the kids were prepared to aid them- they had set a bunch of traps & stuff throughout the area, had bow/arrow at the ready, & various more kid-friendly means of stopping or inconveniencing foes. I guess the green fellas had trained them a little in the time they spent together? Who knows. It was kinda cool though, absurd as it is. Got the vibe they believed the turtles were guardians of the forest/nature, so they felt a duty to serve them. Piecing things together tells me they were hiding among the foliage on their eastern "vacation" & hadda come up with that excuse to explain their presence to these children. :tlol: Makes sense.

This is where I went into a deeper sleep or something because my memory went blank. It did pick back up, though, just after whatever happened there happened. The turtles were being separated by the elements, & they were all screaming out to one another. Donnie was being washed away in a turbulent body of water (with Raph trying desperately to grab his hand but failing), Leo was lost in crumbling mountainside (mudslide?) & I think Mikey was caught in trees or a trap or something. Not entirely sure about him, I might've actually BEEN him 'cause I was experiencing this part first-person & don't recall seeing the orange-clad turtle. Context clues suggest the area had been rigged with explosives, unless perhaps this was some supernatural force shaking the earth up.

At any rate, now I'm somewhat more open to the idea, at least if it were done in a sorta mystical way, that is.

That's nice, but I'd actually like a good Chinese martial arts beat down film with a lot of Bruce Lee styled action; y'know, like the kind of films China made that the turtles are based on.

nellyp
07-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Powder's fever dream/hallucination sounds kind of cool if it wasn't being done by PD. The ideas presented in this thread kinda remind me of the path the original TMNT trilogy took with the 2nd movie being more mainstream and then the 3rd being a big departure set in Japanese culture but I don't see the platinum dunes people pulling off a better result than the 1993 movie did.

Going to an Asian setting like ancient China would make for a great set piece but these goofy, bulky turtles would ruin the whole thing. If they were doing a complete reboot then this could be really cool though. The first PD movie kinda crapped on all the Asian culture that TMNT had been known for when there was no Hamato Yoshi/Tang Shen and they learned martial arts from a how to book.

Also if they had the story based in China (the home of pandas) they could meet up with a certain anthropomorphic Panda ;) ;) (had to throw that tidbit in for panda_kahn_fan's sake) :P

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Powder's fever dream/hallucination sounds kind of cool if it wasn't being done by PD. The ideas presented in this thread kinda remind me of the path the original TMNT trilogy took with the 2nd movie being more mainstream and then the 3rd being a big departure set in Japanese culture but I don't see the platinum dunes people pulling off a better result than the 1993 movie did.

Going to an Asian setting like ancient China would make for a great set piece but these goofy, bulky turtles would ruin the whole thing. If they were doing a complete reboot then this could be really cool though. The first PD movie kinda crapped on all the Asian culture that TMNT had been known for when there was no Hamato Yoshi/Tang Shen and they learned martial arts from a how to book.

Also if they had the story based in China (the home of pandas) they could meet up with a certain anthropomorphic Panda ;) ;) (had to throw that tidbit in for panda_kahn_fan's sake) :P

HEY, THANKS, THAT'D BE GREAT, IF THEY COULD GET PERMISSION TO USE THE CHARACTER! ^^

And I think a visit to china would be great for the next TMNT movie. Origin retold in a recap at the beginning, and off we go!