PDA

View Full Version : So I read Mirage for the first time and I need help

Mondo_Gecko
06-21-2016, 03:45 PM
Popping in back here for a moment

A friend recently gave me the Mirage graphic novel that comprises #1-7, I had never had any prior interest in reading them because I grew up with the original cartoon but I was curious and wanted to experience the source material for myself.

Granted, I only read seven issues, but I didn't like it. the turtles had no personality other then Raph has a temper and Leo leads. The other characters like April or Splinter (Casey appears briefly in Raph Micro) really have no development or personality. Mirage is certainty dark but I need more, I need to be interested by the characters or the story and I wasn't.

The space stuff has never grabbed me and so for them go into space so quickly was disappointing. I did however like Fugioid.

I was hoping for posters like Andrew or others (Sorry I never come in here anymore) who love Mirage and tell me you like it so much?

I hope this come across me bashing Mirage, but it didn't grab me at all, so I was hoping to ask Andrew and others what they love about it so much, other then it being darker and more adult?

Thanks guys!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Nah, the first seven issues are not my favorite either. And the other Turtles don't get personalities as quickly.

What you need to do is read Shades of Gray and City at War. THAT is the epitome of Mirage TMNT. Then you'll be more accepting of its other, slightly lesser stories.

Also "Return to New York" and the few issues where Shredder and the Foot lay waste to the Turtles, April, Splinter, and particularly Leo.

Powder
06-21-2016, 04:01 PM
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54865

This thread will answer all of your questions. My posts are particularly helpful. :tlol:

CyberCubed
06-21-2016, 04:09 PM
The Turtles personalities are fleshed out more in their micros, not so much in the early issues.

Mewzard
06-21-2016, 04:48 PM
This was a series that was never initially planned beyond one issue, keep in mind, so there wasn't a lot of planning towards things like Personality. They do develop as time goes on, however. Raph was obvious the first to really get into his groove, with Leo not far behind. Honestly, Mikey was probably the last, and ended up being different than what most interpretations of him in other media are (that said, he's still a more light-hearted member of the group).

It's the kind of series that grows on you as you stick with it. The big fight with the foot at April's place, being forced to recover in New Hampton, their Return to New York, it all comes together quite nicely I think.

City at War ending volume one and tying together what they've faced since the beginning was really nice, and a great read.

Andrew NDB
06-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Stick it out to #11 (including the micros). If you don't dig it by then it's probably not for you.

CyberCubed
06-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Issues 1-11 plus micros, Return to New York, and City at War were the main selling points of the entire Mirage run. While I like a lot of the other issues too, those are what essentially made the series what it was.

Mewzard
06-22-2016, 12:10 AM
Issues 1-11 plus micros, Return to New York, and City at War were the main selling points of the entire Mirage run. While I like a lot of the other issues too, those are what essentially made the series what it was.

So basically, the first five TMNT: Ultimate Collection volumes.

I do agree, it's all quite fantastic, especially how it all comes together.