PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Origin/Reboot; what people want?

Panda_Kahn_fan
06-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Stupid question, moving on!

IndigoErth
06-22-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm okay with seeing it, but I would not mind if it moved on to other things. After a bit it does get a little tired out, esp with having a origin retelling (sorta) only two years apart with the current show and first PD film. (Maybe IDW is in there? I'm not sure when that started. Surely the Nick comic rehashed it as well.)

I've wished the present films had actually skipped all the old stuff, even the later old stuff, and just said, "the Turtles are grown (because they certainly look like adults, not teens) and here are some new stories." Certainly would have saved them some of the drama of screwing up/with old lore. (As long as they kept the foundational stuff as is.) I would not mind if someone else was to take this route.

I guess vaguely this sequel did sort of go that route, albeit with old characters and not in a strong way.

Cryomancer
06-22-2016, 07:36 PM
I'd be fine with just going on to something else. That's part of why I actually like the 2007 movie somewhat. No origins, no Shredder, does it's own thing.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Panda, what people want is

FOR YOU TO STOP WRITING ALL THESE PLATINUM DUNES THREADS.

Lipstick on a pig, man. Let it go. Enjoy it for what it is (if you can) or just leave it be.

TurtleTitan97
06-22-2016, 07:48 PM
I mean, the 2007 film did it, and I was fine with it so I guess another film could do it if they wanted to.

But personally, I'm perfectly fine with the origin being played out again. These recent films haven't done it any justice and I want Shredder's and Splinter's backstories to be done right.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-22-2016, 07:57 PM
No. I have a right to ask things, and a right to my opinion, so no.

Didn't tell ya what to do; told ya what some of us want.

Believe me, if I had the power to make people do what I wanted them to do, I'd be using that power for a whole heck of a lot more. :tlol:

Bry
06-22-2016, 08:50 PM
But personally, I'm perfectly fine with the origin being played out again. These recent films haven't done it any justice and I want Shredder's and Splinter's backstories to be done right.

Yep, that's my stance too. It'd be one thing if we'd seen the origin done right countless times. But the only time we've seen it done well (or even decently) in a movie was in 1990.

And as much as I get the fan complaint about seeing an origin too many times... it's still part of the story. It's the beginning. And IMO, if you're going to tell a story right, you can't just leave the origin out because the fans already know it. That leaves a big hole in things. I don't mean it has to take up 1/3 to more of the runtime or anything, but knowing where the characters came from and what motivates them is pretty key to making their story work in any real, emotional way.

And besides -- every "first movie"/reboot is someone's introduction to these characters and their world. Just because the fans have seen it all before doesn't mean that everyone has.

IndigoErth
06-22-2016, 09:32 PM
What I wouldn't mind seeing... the Yoshi turned Splinter version since it hasn't been done in film. A live action version of that would be nice.

PD could still squeeze in the reincarnation version. Not my personal preference (the one mentioned above is and wish they'd gone that route), but prob the easiest option at that point and I know some like that one.

Powder
06-22-2016, 09:45 PM
We need the proper origins more now than ever.

In fact I'd rather the first new film heavily focus on it, specifically Saki/Yoshi's relationship. You could do a whole movie on that alone, how they came up together, became rivals, fought over love, etc. Like I said in another thread, take cues from how Ninja Assassin did their ninja clan history flashback sequences & stuff, show how the present parallels it.

The April stuff could & should be done short & sweet, though. Having that bond is important, but the establishment of it is significantly less so. The original film nailed that.

Candy Kappa
06-23-2016, 03:43 AM
You've made so many "what about this?" threads it feels like you've done this subject a dozen times by now.

and there's this one; http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=52316