PDA

View Full Version : Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #5 Preview/Discussion

ProphetofGanja
06-24-2016, 11:55 AM
You guys think we'll get a preview today? The one for #4 didn't come out until the Tuesday before... Anyways, IDW knocked this miniseries out of the park. I'm definitely going to get the TPB when it comes out.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
06-24-2016, 04:25 PM
A preview would be nice.

Joey Kamikaze
06-24-2016, 07:40 PM
I had a good feeling about this one going in, but it's still exceeded my expectations. In a weird way it reminds me of reading Illuminatus! (or about any other Robert Anton Wilson novel) for the first time, trying to keep track of which characters are who in what dimension. Eventually you just give up (because that's not the point) and just enjoy the ride. This mini could make a fantastic direct-to-video animated movie.

That bit at the end of #2 with the car crash and leaving certain people behind (being vague to avoid spoilers here) had me where I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. I think that was also the moment it dawned on me there was more than one set of Bebops and Rocksteadys in play, thus Renet's puzzlement in #1. (Again, being vague with spoilers here.) The whole story has built so well from there.

Also: I love that IDW treats Bebop and Rocksteady like actual characters. Before now, I feel like TMNTA was the only other universe to do that, even a bit.

Utrommaniac
06-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Oh my GOD, this is what's on the comixology page while it's on preorder :lol:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-28%20at%2012.27.24%20AM_zpslfahdxap.png

Who's the wiseguy who said this should be done???

And, it seems there's an extra easter egg regarding that date. (http://mentalfloss.com/article/26316/why-does-my-gadget-say-its-december-31-1969)

Unless it's not an easter egg at all and they just haven't reset the date?

Commenter 42
06-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Love it. The clever kids behind this need to be given all the money.

oldmanwinters
06-28-2016, 12:15 AM
Preview is up at last!
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/06/preview-of-tmnt-bebop-rocksteady-destroy-everything-5/

FlawedCoil82
06-28-2016, 03:35 AM
Oh my GOD, this is what's on the comixology page while it's on preorder :lol:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-28%20at%2012.27.24%20AM_zpslfahdxap.png

Who's the wiseguy who said this should be done???

And, it seems there's an extra easter egg regarding that date. (http://mentalfloss.com/article/26316/why-does-my-gadget-say-its-december-31-1969)

Unless it's not an easter egg at all and they just haven't reset the date?

I think that is a glitch. It says the same exact release date for "X-Men '92" #5.

ProphetofGanja
06-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Okay so all the Time Lords talk like valley girls :lol: random

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Okay so all the Time Lords talk like valley girls :lol: random

Are those all different versions of Renet? I'm pretty sure those are all different versions of Renet.

snake
06-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Dec 31st 1969 is the default date for lots of timing software. It's like that in Topp's Card Trader apps as well.

Utrommaniac
06-28-2016, 10:32 AM
I posted a link to the origin for that date.

Even if it's a default setting, it's still pretty appropriate for the story.

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Its kind of funny that this mini debuted Savanti in the IDW universe and he's nothing more than a background character pushed to the sidelines. Savanti always gets the short end of the stick. :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Its kind of funny that this mini debuted Savanti in the IDW universe and he's nothing more than a background character pushed to the sidelines. Savanti always gets the short end of the stick. :lol:

I know, I'm a little disappointed he's barely been present. Like at all.

Still. BEBOP and ROCKSTEADY. :tlol:

oldmanwinters
06-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Are those all different versions of Renet? I'm pretty sure those are all different versions of Renet.

That was my assumption as well. So weird!

ProphetofGanja
06-28-2016, 01:20 PM
That was my assumption as well. So weird!

it's crazy because even though there's apparently only one Renet through all dimensions (IDW, Mirage, etc.), she can meet herself at various points on her timeline. damn time travel shenanigans!

oldmanwinters
06-28-2016, 01:31 PM
it's crazy because even though there's apparently only one Renet through all dimensions (IDW, Mirage, etc.), she can meet herself at various points on her timeline. damn time travel shenanigans!

So does that suggest that Space is absolute whereas Time is just relative? Or is it the other way around? :teek:

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Which may actually make sense given Renet always acts like she's meeting the Turtles for the first time in each series. Mirage, 2k3, Nick and now IDW.

Renet never appeared in the original cartoon or Archie comic, or the movies, so that's a few less universes.

Ninjinister
06-28-2016, 06:03 PM
So does that suggest that Space is absolute whereas Time is just relative? Or is it the other way around? :teek:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/def325c704d5884f8cdcb8fe9be6a2be/tumblr_mzb6a0xxJl1r9w3pqo5_r2_250.gif

Utrommaniac
06-29-2016, 01:08 AM
Well, it's up now, and I've read it

Pepperoni saves the day!

Anchovy is still with Bebop and Rocksteady, though they haven't noticed him. Even after wrecking their car immediately.

I'm hoping this means seeing Pepperoni in the regular stories. Just...hold the cheese on the pizzas. And the gluten. She would need a super special pizza of her own.

Savanti Romero got an Utrom teleporter after all. I'm not entirely sure we'll be seeing him again, though.

*Flips table* NIGHTWING APRIL MINI, PLEASE! With silver Fugitiod! Even if its just three issues, I want to see that story!

Technogeek29
06-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Whoa I wonder if April is still running around in the 60's with Honeycutt? She would technically still be alive just old.

Utrommaniac
06-29-2016, 07:39 AM
Depends on if it's in a different dimension. It was never really specified if it was the regular universe's 1960's or an alternate versions. It might even depend on who Honeycutt is on the run from. Krang? The D'Hoonibs? Someone else entirely?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-29-2016, 08:43 AM
The Bopsteady universe... :teek:

Abandon all hope and intact skeletons, ye who enter.

neatoman
06-29-2016, 09:23 AM
So can we call the dimension with all the Bebop and Rocksteady duplicates "Andrew's Ultimate Nightmare"?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-29-2016, 09:24 AM
So can we call the dimension with all the Bebop and Rocksteady duplicates "Andrew's Ultimate Nightmare"?

ROFL.

Donatello's ultimate nightmare, too.

myconius
06-29-2016, 10:53 AM
having all the Time mistresses talk like Renet at first threw me off,

until that one told Renet - "bag yer face!" :lol:

after that i was ok with it!! :D

gonna have to find an opportunity to use that line in the real world!

CyberCubed
06-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Heh, I knew Savanti was going to be thrown under a bus. He's become something of a running joke. I think the only time he was ever shown to be menacing was the early Mirage issues.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Heh, I knew Savanti was going to be thrown under a bus. He's become something of a running joke. I think the only time he was ever shown to be menacing was the early Mirage issues.

I was really hoping Savanti would have more of a presence and really serve as a credible threat.

Guess not...

CyberCubed
06-29-2016, 11:49 AM
I was actually a bit confused for who the Bebop/Rocksteady were that were in NY who didn't recognize Savanti, while "our" Bebop/Rocksteady were in the prehistoric?

oldmanwinters
06-29-2016, 11:49 AM
I was really hoping Savanti would have more of a presence and really serve as a credible threat.

Guess not...

I thought Renet was kind of a bust in her first IDW appearance, but she's really grown into a more interesting character for this mini-series. Hopefully, we'll see something similar with Savanti now that he's gotten the reintroduction out of the way.

myconius
06-29-2016, 11:51 AM
so i guess the Turtles will now have a pet dinosaur running around the homestead?

CyberCubed
06-29-2016, 11:58 AM
so i guess the Turtles will now have a pet dinosaur running around the homestead?

Depends when this mini fits into the timeline. It can't take place during the current ongoing right now because of Don with Fugitoid at Burnow Island and the Turtles dealing with Kitsune.

So I don't think we'll see their pet pepproni dino until post issue 60 sometime after the current ongoing arc ends.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I was actually a bit confused for who the Bebop/Rocksteady were that were in NY who didn't recognize Savanti, while "our" Bebop/Rocksteady were in the prehistoric?

It was our Bebop and Rocksteady, in their past. I think.

Savanti went and found them before they knew who he was, i.e. in their past but his future.

myconius
06-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Depends when this mini fits into the timeline. It can't take place during the current ongoing right now because of Don with Fugitoid at Burnow Island and the Turtles dealing with Kitsune.

So I don't think we'll see their pet pepproni dino until post issue 60 sometime after the current ongoing arc ends.

good point!

plus, just imagine what's going to happen when we see this little baby dinosaur grow??? :lol:

unless, pepperoni is some kind of special mini dinosaur?

myconius
06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
It was our Bebop and Rocksteady, in their past. I think.

Savanti went and found them before they knew who he was, i.e. in their past but his future.

uhhhhh i THINK so??? :-?

CyberCubed
06-29-2016, 02:32 PM
This story can't fit into the normal ongoing just yet. Can't take place right after issue #50 because Mike left his brothers for a while. Then after that the Turtles would be on Burnow Island with Leatherhead/Fugitoid, and now the current story going on with Kitsune/Alopex.

Feels like this takes place sometime after issue 60 or so whenever the Turtles get a breather.

ToTheNines
06-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Bobby said not until after #65.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-29-2016, 02:47 PM
This story can't fit into the normal ongoing just yet. Can't take place right after issue #50 because Mike left his brothers for a while. Then after that the Turtles would be on Burnow Island with Leatherhead/Fugitoid, and now the current story going on with Kitsune/Alopex.

Feels like this takes place sometime after issue 60 or so whenever the Turtles get a breather.

I believe somebody official said it takes place after #65.

myconius
06-29-2016, 02:56 PM

plus there was something Renet said to Donatello when he asked if they were creating their time line.

and Renet said "you're always creating your time-line..."
and how the universe they come from spun off another the moment Bebop and Rocksteady arrived in the Cretaceous period.

so does that mean this whole mini-series could now just be a parallel universe that won't actually affect the main ongoing title?

oldmanwinters
06-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Count me among those "true believers" who would love to see a "Nightbug and Honeycutt" resurgence in the future. I feel kinda cheated as a fan that April O'Neil's over-the-top superheroine redesign gets relegated to a single amazing panel on the last page of a 5-part arc. A full April/Fuigtoid Elseworlds mini-series might be too much to ask but I certainly hope we'll see more of the Sensational 60s in the TMNT Universe title.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/Archie%20Comic%20Scans/Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20-%20Bebop%20amp%20Rocksteady%20Destroy%20Everything %20NightBug%20April%20Oneil%20Silver%20Fuguitoid_z ps5yukh7rt.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/Archie%20Comic%20Scans/Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20-%20Bebop%20amp%20Rocksteady%20Destroy%20Everything %20NightBug%20April%20Oneil%20Silver%20Fuguitoid_z ps5yukh7rt.jpg.html)

Are you listening Stan... er... Bobby? :tlol:

Maybe I should go the old Marvel way and demand it from IDW? :tcool:

DrSpengler
06-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Here's my full summary and review of Bebop & Rocksteady #5 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/06/tmnt-bebop-rocksteady-destroy_29.html)

While I'm not sure how much of what happened still "counts" in the restored timeline, all that REALLY matters is that Pepperoni and Anchovy made it. I loved those little guys.

This was a lot of fun; a totally different type of genre and tone for the IDW universe. It's sort of like the Casey & April miniseries in that way; they were going for a genre they hadn't dabbled in before but with the familiar characters. Casey & April wasn't my cup of tea, but this Bebop & Rocksteady mini was a blast.

We probably won't be getting another weekly-published event mini for a long time, so I REALLY enjoyed the experience. Loads of fun.

MikeandRaph87
06-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Here's my full summary and review of Bebop & Rocksteady #5 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/06/tmnt-bebop-rocksteady-destroy_29.html)

While I'm not sure how much of what happened still "counts" in the restored timeline, all that REALLY matters is that Pepperoni and Anchovy made it. I loved those little guys.

This was a lot of fun; a totally different type of genre and tone for the IDW universe. It's sort of like the Casey & April miniseries in that way; they were going for a genre they hadn't dabbled in before but with the familiar characters. Casey & April wasn't my cup of tea, but this Bebop & Rocksteady mini was a blast.

We probably won't be getting another weekly-published event mini for a long time, so I REALLY enjoyed the experience. Loads of fun.

Agreed with every word! Bopsteadyverse! I give kudos to IDW for giving these two focus which I never would have ever thought happened, their one issue and then their own mini-series.

CyberCubed
06-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Aside from Bebop/Rocksteady, I'm also glad we finally got more Renet.

Fun fact: Renet has never appeared in the ongoing as of yet. All her appearances have been in the specials or mini's. The 2014 annual, the Turtles in Time mini, and now Bebop/Rocksteady mini.

Its kind of funny when you think how some characters can be part of IDW TMNT but never be written by Tom Waltz in the main ongoing as of yet. Renet is one of those characters.

myconius
06-30-2016, 05:27 AM
Aside from Bebop/Rocksteady, I'm also glad we finally got more Renet.

Fun fact: Renet has never appeared in the ongoing as of yet. All her appearances have been in the specials or mini's. The 2014 annual, the Turtles in Time mini, and now Bebop/Rocksteady mini.

Its kind of funny when you think how some characters can be part of IDW TMNT but never be written by Tom Waltz in the main ongoing as of yet. Renet is one of those characters.

i didn't even realize Renet hadn't appeared in any of the ongoing issues until you mentioned it. but it's funny how the line between the ongoing issues and spin-off issues blurs and melds SO well!!!

yeah, it'll probably be a while (if ever) but if they ever do decide to do another weekly i'm definitely down! :)

corvus
07-01-2016, 10:15 AM
That was actually kind of disappointing...nothing really significant happened and it left a lot more questions than answers.

ToTheNines
07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
One aspect they dropped the ball on was Donatello as the narrator. Pretty sure they completely forgot about that in 4 and 5. I thought there would be some sort of payoff to that, like Donny getting a hold of a time scepter or something.

ProphetofGanja
07-01-2016, 03:17 PM
One aspect they dropped the ball on was Donatello as the narrator. Pretty sure they completely forgot about that in 4 and 5. I thought there would be some sort of payoff to that, like Donny getting a hold of a time scepter or something.

They did kinda pick it back up on like the last page, at least I assume that's who was speaking in the purple text boxes, but yeah, I thought at some point the Turtles would get a glimpse of our universe, and see how we witness the Turtles' tales through this comic book series, which would've been pretty cool. This last issue did feel like it kinda rushed to wrap things up but all in all the miniseries was great.

All the featured artists were spectacular. Renet isn't really my type but damn, when Sophie draws her its another story! I also really loved Dustin Weaver's Turtles, I hope to see him on the main series someday soon.

I hope we get another weekly miniseries next year or sometime, this was cool

MikeandRaph87
07-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Savanti was a punching bag for Bebop and Rocksteady, but set up a revenge plot.

The mini was fun. I am glad IDW took a risk and gave us a fun story. Comic companies dont do that often these days. Thanks,IDW!

Nortock Diab
07-02-2016, 02:05 AM
I really enjoyed that mini.

I'am disapointed though that the board-game material in issue #5 is just a repeat of the scenario from #4 while it was supposed to be part 2...

Utrommaniac
07-02-2016, 02:21 AM
All the featured artists were spectacular. Renet isn't really my type but damn, when Sophie draws her its another story!

Sophie's Renets are particularly fun because she's done three different versions of her. The one here, the one in Turtles in Time (who is technically from the future), and Old Renet.

Though, the middle Renet has a different look in Turtles in Time by all the artists involved. She's shorter, curvier, and a differently shaped nose. I think the overall shape of her face is different too, and her shoulders aren't as wide. She looks younger than the one in BB&RSDE even though she's technically older. That's probably because there wasn't a set/agreed upon design for her. But I like the newer one better. It just seems more "Renet" than the other.

I still want to know what will happen to Anchovy. How would he get to the turtles from Rio?
Good think he doesn't follow Jurassic Park (book) raptor rules.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-02-2016, 10:20 AM
I actually liked IDW's first renet design, the one with the big clock on her head looks, well, stupid to me. :ohwell:

CyberCubed
07-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I wonder which design they're going to use going forward. She didn't wear the clock on her head in her previous IDW appearances.

spookycookies
07-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I wonder which design they're going to use going forward. She didn't wear the clock on her head in her previous IDW appearances.

Yeah I much preferred her look in Turtles in Time compared to Destroy Everything. Not a fan of the giant clock hat.

Utrommaniac
07-02-2016, 07:32 PM
I think I like Renet's overall shape, especially in her face, but the clock hat does seem pretty inconvenient. And probably uncomfortable to boot.

myconius
07-02-2016, 08:06 PM
at first Renet's clock hat seemed seemed completely silly to me, but after an issue or two i got used to it.

Renet seems like a pretty fashionable time-mistress. she probably likes to change it up once in a while?

Utrommaniac
07-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Or maybe she just regularly changes her clothes like any other person.

One thing I found funny about the clock is how the hands are constantly moving frame-by-frame, so they're probably spinning at a stupidly high speed for a clock.

myconius
07-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Or maybe she just regularly changes her clothes like any other person.

One thing I found funny about the clock is how the hands are constantly moving frame-by-frame, so they're probably spinning at a stupidly high speed for a clock.

i missed that detail about the clock hands. that's actually pretty cool!

yeah, definitely!! Renet isn't exactly part of the whole Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang! :lol:

Mayhem
07-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Well her hat was pretty unwieldy in her first ever appearance (Mirage #8 ) so I guess nothing changes there!

ctt4lfecw
07-03-2016, 04:58 PM
I literally have nothing to say after reading those 5 issues other than "duh." I literally don't get what I just read. Maybe I need to read again.

tomtmnt
07-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Took me a couple of reads mate. Try it again reading it all in 1 sitting.

Andrew NDB
07-05-2016, 11:56 AM
I give kudos to IDW for giving these two focus which I never would have ever thought happened

Why wouldn't you? Everybody else is. In fact, IDW kind of led the Bebop and Rocksteady resurgence out of the gate post-sale.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-05-2016, 12:08 PM
This miniseries was great. I'd actually love to see these two get their own back-up strip in universe/get a story arc now and then. Just the two of them taking random jobs, murdering people in a violent rampage and leaving a trail of blood and mayhem. But this still mess up whatever job they'd been sent to do, and may even have to murder their own boss to survive! It'd be awesome! :D

ToTheNines
07-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Why wouldn't you? Everybody else is. In fact, IDW kind of led the Bebop and Rocksteady resurgence out of the gate post-sale.

Not that it wasn't inevitable, but yeah Human IDW B&R appeared in 2011 and then were mutated in 2013. I'm amazed by how long Nick and Platinum Dunes held off.

neatoman
07-05-2016, 01:23 PM

I can't really speak for him but maybe it's because IDW generally kind of treats them more like obstacles than characters? Except for this mini and their introductory micro, they have really only interacted with other characters when fighting them and the only time that had any real consequence was when they put Donnie in a coma.

The only real thing we know about their relationship with any of the other characters is that they're generally disliked by their peers but not much else since they basically do nothing but fight.

CyberCubed
07-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Nick probably hoped Dogpound and Fishface would become as popular as Bebop/Rocksteady, hence why the latter didn't get mutated till Season 3.

But Dogpound's design proved unpopular so they turned him into an old character Rahzar. And while I do like Fishface, he really is just a lackey at this point and not anything special.

neatoman
07-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Nick probably hoped Dogpound and Fishface would become as popular as Bebop/Rocksteady, hence why the latter didn't get mutated till Season 3.

But Dogpound's design proved unpopular so they turned him into an old character Rahzar. And while I do like Fishface, he really is just a lackey at this point and not anything special.

Uh, I think it's more likely the toy company got more and more control of the show's direction than the new characters being unpopular, what kid (the actual target audience) would care about what old characters end up in the show? Honestly, the reason Dogpound was changed into Rahzar was probably just to streamline the cast when Playmates made a Rahzar toy, so they wouldn't get stuck with two separate dog mutants, Fishface was just buried under the other six or so henchmen running around.

Before Bebop and Rocksteeady popped up, the Foot already had four mutant henchmen making it kind of strange to add an additional two. Not to mention the fact that Nick's Bebop and Rocksteady are pretty much in name only characters anyway.

Mutant Ninja Anole
07-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Count me among those "true believers" who would love to see a "Nightbug and Honeycutt" resurgence in the future. I feel kinda cheated as a fan that April O'Neil's over-the-top superheroine redesign gets relegated to a single amazing panel on the last page of a 5-part arc. A full April/Fuigtoid Elseworlds mini-series might be too much to ask but I certainly hope we'll see more of the Sensational 60s in the TMNT Universe title.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/Archie%20Comic%20Scans/Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20-%20Bebop%20amp%20Rocksteady%20Destroy%20Everything %20NightBug%20April%20Oneil%20Silver%20Fuguitoid_z ps5yukh7rt.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/Archie%20Comic%20Scans/Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20-%20Bebop%20amp%20Rocksteady%20Destroy%20Everything %20NightBug%20April%20Oneil%20Silver%20Fuguitoid_z ps5yukh7rt.jpg.html)

Are you listening Stan... er... Bobby? :tlol:

Maybe I should go the old Marvel way and demand it from IDW? :tcool:
That was a neat design. I wonder if it's supposed to be a reference to the one episode where April got turned into a wasp?

oldmanwinters
07-06-2016, 10:47 AM
I literally have nothing to say after reading those 5 issues other than "duh." I literally don't get what I just read. Maybe I need to read again.

Guess IDW recommends "buy the TPB!" I hear it will include some bonus concept art sketches too.

myconius
07-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Guess IDW recommends "buy the TPB!" I hear it will include some bonus concept art sketches too.

yeah, i always get the trades as well as the single issues for the bonus sketches as well as having all the Variant covers printed in them.