PDA

View Full Version : IDW and Image reprint/ conclusion news

The Fifth Turtle
06-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Take this for what it's worth:

I just met Frank Fosco at a local con here in IL. I had him sign my turtle artists jam piece and while he was signing I asked him if he will be doing anything with IDW in the future that's turtle related.

He said yes in fact I'm currently working on all of the trade covers that will collect the volume 3 issues (about 4-5 covers). He even showed me the first cover and it's pretty neat. I asked if the trades will include the Savage Dragon issues because of rights and what not. He said yes that there a few things they are working on to get those printed as well, like not putting the Dragon on the cover.

He also said he is currently working on an official three issue conclusion to the volume as well! I asked if those will be released as single issues or just be included in the trades. He said there is talk of both (single issues at first and then those issues being collected in the final trade).

So there you have it, from his mouth to my ears to your eyeballs.

ToTheNines
06-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Good news about the trades, but I really feel like the conclusion is unnecessary. I love the Modeen two parter.

AquaParade
06-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Fantastic news, thanks for sharing.

IDW, please put the conclusion in single issue format!

mrmaczaps
06-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Simply amazing!

The Fifth Turtle
06-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Fantastic news, thanks for sharing.

IDW, please put the conclusion in single issue format!

You are welcome!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Good news about the trades, but I really feel like the conclusion is unnecessary. I love the Modeen two parter.

If they take the basic gist of the Modeen 2-parter and expand it out a little more with room to breathe, all the better.

Still. I'm skeptical of this "and a new conclusion, too." I suppose we'll see.

The Fifth Turtle
06-25-2016, 12:01 PM
If they take the basic gist of the Modeen 2-parter and expand it out a little more with room to breathe, all the better.

Still. I'm skeptical of this "and a new conclusion, too." I suppose we'll see.

Not sure why he would lie but I'm a I'll believe it when I see it kinda person myself.

NuparuMahnika
06-25-2016, 12:05 PM
This is absolutely great news!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 12:07 PM
Not sure why he would lie but I'm a I'll believe it when I see it kinda person myself.

Business decisions change. We've heard "we're absolutely reprinting Image TMNT" then "we're not reprinting Image TMNT" then "we may someday reprint Image TMNT" and now "we're reprinting and FINISHING Image TMNT."

I stopped holding my breath a long time ago. If it happens, it happens (and I'll be damned excited). But until then...

The Fifth Turtle
06-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Business decisions change. We've heard "we're absolutely reprinting Image TMNT" then "we're not reprinting Image TMNT" then "we may someday reprint Image TMNT" and now "we're reprinting and FINISHING Image TMNT."

I stopped holding my breath a long time ago. If it happens, it happens (and I'll be damned excited). But until then...

I'd feel a little more doubtful if they moved onto another volume or they stopped releasing trades for older material all together. They have been slowly churning out the material and it seems about that time for vol 3. I guess we need to keep our green fingers crossed.

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm just happy this confirmed IDW is making trades of this series.

At only 23 issues long they can breeze through it too.

Powder
06-25-2016, 02:40 PM
That was probably supposed to be a secret. :tlol: If so, it's one I'm glad to be in on! Curious to see if the finisher will be more or less an adaption of the material Andrew & co. did or something different. I'd hope the former, it really tied things up perfectly, & was in part the child of Carlson's mind, after all. If they did something to further establish it as a standalone universe rather than keep it relatively ambiguous or even directly tied into Mirage, that will bum me the hell out...

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 02:49 PM
The thing is Andrew's Lady Shredder was the one from the unfinished Tales of the TMNT issue, she was Tang Shen's sister as I recall.

In Image Lady Shredder was intended to be Karai, but that wouldn't fit with her truce with the Turtles at the end of Mirage.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Shoulda saved my money and waited just a little longer then, eh? :tlol:

Although these will undoubtedly be colorized instead of B&W...

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Shoulda saved my money and waited just a little longer then, eh? :tlol:

Although these will undoubtedly be colorized instead of B&W...

I'm interested to see what Image looks like in color.

Powder
06-25-2016, 03:00 PM
In Image Lady Shredder was intended to be Karai, but that wouldn't fit with her truce with the Turtles at the end of Mirage.

If I recall correctly, when Andrew started working on the finishers, he said that Gary was unsure as to what his intentions were with respect to Lady Shredder, but that she was not intended to be Karai. I think he later said it might have been, but I chalk it up to memories lost to time. Prolly wasn't gonna be Karai after all.

Anyway, Frank was coloring pages on his own a few years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/2qBvDiI.jpg

No clue as to whether or not he'd be doing these, but I know he wanted to at one point. I'd rather have them remain black & white, these issues were drawn specifically to be that way, with lots of spotting & heavy contrast. Much of it would look awkward in color, I think. The new material that our very own Sabacooza colored looked awesome, but Frank drew it knowing it'd be fully rendered, so it works. I'd like to see Courtland do it, if anyone. He compliments the style well. I'd really, really hate to see the same team who colored Mirage reprints do these, those were quite poor & riddled with inexcusable errors.

Sabacooza
06-25-2016, 03:21 PM
If I recall correctly, when Andrew started working on the finishers, he said that Gary was unsure as to what his intentions were with respect to Lady Shredder, but that she was not intended to be Karai. I think he later said it might have been, but I chalk it up to memories lost to time. Prolly wasn't gonna be Karai after all.

Anyway, Frank was coloring pages on his own a few years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/2qBvDiI.jpg

No clue as to whether or not he'd be doing these, but I know he wanted to at one point. I'd rather have them remain black & white, these issues were drawn specifically to be that way, with lots of spotting & heavy contrast. Much of it would look awkward in color, I think. The new material that our very own Sabacooza colored looked awesome, but Frank drew it knowing it'd be fully rendered, so it works. I'd like to see Courtland do it, if anyone. He compliments the style well. I'd really, really hate to see the same team who colored Mirage reprints do these, those were quite poor & riddled with inexcusable errors.I did color a test cover that Frank submitted. I've not heard anything about getting the gig for at least coloring the covers the last time I talked with him but maybe it's a bit premature.

Powder
06-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Disappointing for us fans, too, really. You outshine them all.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 03:35 PM
I still wish IDW would leave reprints as black and white. B&W just seems to suit Mirage TMNT so much better than color. I think my least favorite volume of Mirage is Volume 2 for that reason. So much color... :tlol:

Sabacooza
06-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Disappointing for us fans, too, really. You outshine them all.Thanks. I appreciate it. I suppose I could ask about it.

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Wait, if these issues are colorized will it by Image artists or the same people coloring the Mirage collections? Can you imagine if the latter colorize the Image heroes wrong?

Powder
06-25-2016, 04:09 PM
I imagine that's who it would be, unfortunately. So I can't be totally excited, I feel some dread, too. :tsad:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Wait, if these issues are colorized will it by Image artists or the same people coloring the Mirage collections? Can you imagine if the latter colorize the Image heroes wrong?

Can you imagine if they color the Image heroes CORRECTLY? Deathwatch is freaking RED and GREEN, for Laird's sake.

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Imagine a polka-dot colored Savage Dragon.

Sabacooza
06-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Wait, if these issues are colorized will it by Image artists or the same people coloring the Mirage collections? Can you imagine if the latter colorize the Image heroes wrong?I guarantee you if I were coloring this, it would be colored correctly. I worked with Frank in the past with the 30th anniversary and some Vanguard stuff and he runs a pretty tight ship. That's a good thing.

AquaParade
06-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Who thinks they'll be releasing the original image run as single issues before colletin them in trades?

The Fifth Turtle
06-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Who thinks they'll be releasing the original image run as single issues before colletin them in trades?

Color classics maybe?

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 10:07 PM

Not sure why you would think that. They didn't do that for Volume 2, it just got the collections but never any single issues.

Mewzard
06-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Well, this is a pleasant surprise. With this, all that will be left for Mirage is Volume Four. Here's hoping for good news on that after the Image issues are released.

I definitely need to get the trades for the Volume Two issues before this comes out.

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 12:06 AM
They're still also only up to issue #25 of Tales, so there's a long way to go. The next Tales trade collects 26-30 and comes out in August.

Aside from that, IDW also has a lot of the Mirage specials and mini's to collect. Stuff like the Turtle Soup, the crossovers, the Tales spinoffs (like Leonardo Blindsight), etc.

Andrew NDB
06-26-2016, 03:02 AM
If Nickelodeon allows. That's the catch.

neatoman
06-26-2016, 03:22 AM
If Nickelodeon allows. That's the catch.

Why wouldn't they? Royalties or something?

AquaParade
06-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Not sure why you would think that. They didn't do that for Volume 2, it just got the collections but never any single issues.

Basing the possibility on the fact that they are supposedly planning a conclusion to the series.
Doesn't guarantee anything but it's interesting to consider.

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 11:03 AM
There's 23 issues. I don't think IDW is going to make people wait 23 months for this to come out. That's over 2 years.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 11:05 AM
There's 23 issues. I don't think IDW is going to make people wait 23 months for this to come out. That's over 2 years.

4-5 issues a trade, for 5-6 trades. Let's optimistically say 3 trades a year. We're still waiting over 2 years. Took Volume 2 about a year and a half, I think, and it was only 4 trades.

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 11:09 AM
IDW does 5 issue trades now, even their Tales trades are moving to 5 issues.

Works perfectly for Image since the opening arc was a 5-parter too. After that they can collect 5 issues for each for the next 4 trades (bringing it to 20).

And if they're working on a conclusion, the last 3 issues can be collected with the conclusion...assuming the conclusion itself is no more than 2-3 issues length of material.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 11:27 AM
IDW does 5 issue trades now, even their Tales trades are moving to 5 issues.

Works perfectly for Image since the opening arc was a 5-parter too. After that they can collect 5 issues for each for the next 4 trades (bringing it to 20).

And if they're working on a conclusion, the last 3 issues can be collected with the conclusion...assuming the conclusion itself is no more than 2-3 issues length of material.

Yeah, but I think they'd try to break up the trades to more naturally collect the story arcs (where possible). #10, for example, starts a story arc. If it's collected with #6-9, it's sort of the odd man out.

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 07:47 PM
I wonder if the Image collections will get a new title, or if they'll be "Classics Volume 11" or something like that.

DK2
06-26-2016, 08:24 PM
I'd still like to see IDW put the Mirage comics into B&W trades as they should've been doing. Also I think the Image series could be done into a one and done B&W tpb just look at the initial B&W tomes they did for John Byrnes Next Men. Image Vol.3 TMNT would be suited for that. If what Frank said is true I'll be happy for a real IDW/Image conclusion. I'd assume some of the story elements from the fan made conclusion would be used as Carlson was involved with the plots wasn't he? If Franks gonna be involved then I assume Gary Carlson too. This makes me happy.

Nortock Diab
06-27-2016, 01:50 AM
An official conclusion would be terrific, especially if released in single issues first.
Yet, I do not expect it to do as good a job as the fan conclusion does in terms of wrapping everything up and setting the path for Volume 4.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 01:52 AM
Yeah, if a conclusion is written I sure hope its co-plotted with IDW or someone who knows what goes on in Mirage Volume 4 directly after.

bjaxx87
06-27-2016, 04:47 AM
I'd rather have them remain black & white, these issues were drawn specifically to be that way, with lots of spotting & heavy contrast. Much of it would look awkward in color, I think.
Except for the early issues. In the letters column Eric Larsen even apologized for the confusing art and said they were doing those issues like any other (colored) comic and weren't used to B/W comics. Obviously it became better after a few issues and they really improved their B/W style.

But since there are still some scenes in issue 1 that I can't figure out no matter how much I look at them, I'm curious to see them colored. ;)

(I just hope the coloring company is able to figure them out...)

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 10:49 AM
It would be a dream if Image artists got to colorize it instead of IDW's.

Red Robin
06-27-2016, 02:09 PM
An official conclusion and reprint of the Image run would be absolutely awesome.
I think most of us have all been hoping for that for a long time.
If it is coloured or not, Singles or TPB doesn't matter for me because I will buy them anyways. Especially with an official conclusion. Thumbs up for this.
I can't describe how excited I am about this. I wonder if the 4-5 covers will be new pieces of art.

Andrew NDB
06-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Why wouldn't they? Royalties or something?

Nothing to do woth royalties. They won't even allow the reprints of V3. Now you think they will give a blessing to a continuation?

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 05:40 PM
The violence in Image isn't much more than Mirage City at War or Return to New York.

My only guess is they don't like the fact that the violence is happening to the Turtles themselves, like Raph's face being scarred or Don smashing his shell. Then again this isn't too bad either because Raph wears bandages and then Casey's mask, Don becomes a cyborg, etc.

IDW had Don's shell smashed and become a cyborg too (Metalhead) clearly inspired by the Image run.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2016, 06:40 PM
The violence in Image isn't much more than Mirage City at War or Return to New York.

My only guess is they don't like the fact that the violence is happening to the Turtles themselves, like Raph's face being scarred or Don smashing his shell. Then again this isn't too bad either because Raph wears bandages and then Casey's mask, Don becomes a cyborg, etc.

IDW had Don's shell smashed and become a cyborg too (Metalhead) clearly inspired by the Image run.

It probably has more to do with Pimiko's skimpy BDSM kunoichi gear. Who knows.

We shall see!

darthsmozers
06-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Glimmer of hope for Archie fans?

CyberCubed
06-29-2016, 09:46 PM
I'd freaking love it if we got some version of the Forever War!

Murphy is disinterested in the franchise, so unless he has a change of heart I wouldn't expect anything.

darthsmozers
06-30-2016, 06:57 AM
I guess someone at IDW who knows the series could write something and solicit Chris Allan for artwork.

pferreira
06-30-2016, 07:13 AM
I still wish IDW would leave reprints as black and white. B&W just seems to suit Mirage TMNT so much better than color. I think my least favorite volume of Mirage is Volume 2 for that reason. So much color... :tlol:You have the option of buying the Ultimate Collections?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-30-2016, 07:56 AM
You have the option of buying the Ultimate Collections?

Only for Volume 1, though.

pferreira
07-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Only for Volume 1, though.Why? The Ultimate Collections which are in b/w should be up to Volume 9 or something by now. If you mean Volume 2 of the Mirage comics then those were always in colour. I could be wrong though.

CyberCubed
07-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Collections stopped at 5, and 6 was just a collection of short stories.

myconius
07-08-2016, 12:42 PM
if this actually comes to pass i'll definitely be interested!

almost hope it'd stay in it's original B&W. but time will tell if it actually happens or not?

CyberCubed
07-08-2016, 04:17 PM
if this actually comes to pass i'll definitely be interested!

almost hope it'd stay in it's original B&W. but time will tell if it actually happens or not?

If it happens its 100% likely to be in color. So if you still want it in original form you'd still have to track down the single issues.

myconius
07-08-2016, 04:52 PM
If it happens its 100% likely to be in color. So if you still want it in original form you'd still have to track down the single issues.

i actually have all the single issue already. took some time and some coin, but i finally finished it.
i'm just one of those fanatics that also likes to get the collected editions as well.

but if it does get reprinted in color i'm sure i'll get it anyway. i just know they usually goof up the colorings ...like the Shredder clones being solid red, blue and purple, or one panel in 'Tales of TMNT' had Savanti Romero's hand being colored green.
change his name to Soylent Romero :lol:

Red Robin
07-13-2016, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Image Conclusion would be published in the new TMNT Universe series.
New stories of the Mirage or Archie-verse would be the icing on the cake.
TMNT Universe is just predestined for such new stories.

Nortock Diab
07-13-2016, 03:04 AM
I would not be so sure about that.
I believe TMNT Universe to be a companion book set in the IDW Universe. I remember they insisted on the canonicity of the stories that will be found in this book.

myconius
07-13-2016, 07:05 AM
I would not be so sure about that.
I believe TMNT Universe to be a companion book set in the IDW Universe. I remember they insisted on the canonicity of the stories that will be found in this book.

that's what i was thinking as well.
shoe-horning other continuities into the new TMNT Universe would confuse and kill the title.

something what Red Robin was mentioning might possibly fit better in 'Turtle Soup' Redux or a new volume of 'Tales of Tmnt'?

Nortock Diab
07-13-2016, 07:15 AM
Even Tales volumes have always been canon companion titles.
However, a Turtle Soup vol.3 would work pretty nicely indeed!

myconius
07-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Even Tales volumes have always been canon companion titles.
However, a Turtle Soup vol.3 would work pretty nicely indeed!

a new volume of 'Turtle soup' would be pretty awesome! :D

Anima Gemini
07-13-2016, 01:04 PM
They could just do special one-shots or mini-series under this title:

I would give it separate numbering and collect them separately too, in order to avoid any confusion.

RaphaelsIsolation
08-15-2016, 09:34 PM
I wonder if the Image collections will get a new title, or if they'll be "Classics Volume 11" or something like that.

Personally I would be okay with the Classics Vol. 11 to be honest.

Maybe do like Classics Vol. 11, (The Image Era) or something to make it different, cause the image run was very unique.

RaphaelsIsolation
08-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Well after reading through the rest, I would say what I would love to happen is this...

Since we never got a official conclusion, I think 3 more issues to finish it off would be great. And I do think this rumor is true. I mean It's pretty certain right? Just no official annoucement from IDW correct?

They were in B n' W, but you can still grab the original issues, just gotta look, they sold several 1,000s each. The first 10 aren't hard to find I know for sure. I DO NOT want them to re-release these in singles format. That would be stupid. They should definitely release them in 5 trades, 5 issues per trade, with the last being 6 issues.

The last 3 issues they are talking about should just be larger than normal issues, and with writer memories or something. They do need to memorialize this Image run. It's just underrated and forgotten about.

I bet 90% or more of the TMNT fans born after 1996 have no idea that TMNT went to Image. think about that. I'm sure that # is high as hell.

I wouldn't mind a Image Collection Vol 1 and 2 for this. that isn't going to happen. We'lll basically get them in trades, in color and the 3 longer than normal issues to wrap it up I think.

I do want them in color for sure though.

RaphaelsIsolation
02-13-2017, 02:36 PM
I don't guess there's been anything on Image getting reprinted?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-13-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't guess there's been anything on Image getting reprinted?

If the news ain't in this thread or blowing up the 'Drome, nope.

I would recommend you check in with Bobby over on the "Ask the Editor" thread...

ToTheNines
02-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Nothing to do woth royalties. They won't even allow the reprints of V3. Now you think they will give a blessing to a continuation?

And that's a legal thing, or simply a matter of content?

It always baffled me that Volume 3 got the rep that it did... I guess a lot of people either never actually read it, or just read the first arc and passed judgement. The first 5 issues do suck, but it gets so good!

Andrew NDB
02-13-2017, 02:53 PM
And that's a legal thing, or simply a matter of content?

I think it's 90% because of the content to Nick (say what, Raphael shot in the face with a gun and part of his face blown off in the first issue? uh oh, no bueno, and by the way, what does that have to do with cowabunga and Bebop?), and 10% Nick still feeling leery about trusting that Erik/Gary/Frank won't cause a fuss about their original characters inside of it despite their very vocal thumbs up about it all.

It always baffled me that Volume 3 got the rep that it did... I guess a lot of people either never actually read it, or just read the first arc and passed judgement. The first 5 issues do suck, but it gets so good!

I think a lot of people came around eventually.

myconius
02-13-2017, 02:59 PM
"The first 5 issues do suck..."

call me a kooky coconut, but i really enjoyed them.

CyberCubed
02-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Savage Dragon and Image superheroes characters appear throughout the book, I imagine that's the main hold-up. You can't very well skip their issues either because that's like...almost half the book. Especially since Sara is in a lot of the later issues.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-13-2017, 03:27 PM
"The first 5 issues do suck..."

call me a kooky coconut, but i really enjoyed them.

Same here. Favorite volume of old-school TMNT, bar none.

RaphaelsIsolation
02-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Hmm interesting. I honestly wish that TMNT was more of an adult thing by now. That is very hypocritcal of me, since when I was a kid the original toonw as my first exposure, and the toys etc.. never even knew of the Mirage comics until I was older.

The nick toon, which I do not like hardly at all kinda stagnates a lot.

THANK GOD for the IDW comic though. It's a excellent blend of adult/teenage mix.

mrmaczaps
02-13-2017, 07:33 PM
I recall someone who worked on the books saying we are getting some sort of reprint of this series but that he couldn't say how it was happening... yet. If they are in talks with the guys that worked on the issues, sounds like theres at least hope for it... and the conclusion.

Andrew NDB
02-13-2017, 09:10 PM
If they are in talks with the guys that worked on the issues, sounds like theres at least hope for it...

They were. Years ago. There's nothing else to talk about. Nick just needs to say, "OK." They're not.

mrmaczaps
02-14-2017, 05:19 AM
They were. Years ago. There's nothing else to talk about. Nick just needs to say, "OK." They're not.

I talked to this guy 6, maybe 8 months ago. He was saying then that it IS being reprinted but he wasn't sure if its going to be single issues or a collection of trades and there is a possibility of the original guys doing their conclusion to it as well...

myconius
02-14-2017, 05:26 AM
let's just hope it's not being turned into a 'color classics'.

still pretty miffed about how sloppily the coloring of the Mirage 'color classics' was handled.

DestronMirage22
02-14-2017, 06:44 AM
let's just hope it's not being turned into a 'color classics'.

still pretty miffed about how sloppily the coloring of the Mirage 'color classics' was handled.

Yeah, if the Image reprints turn out to have the same quality the Color Classics did, I'm sure it'll piss off a lot of people. We've been waiting a long time for these reprints, we deserve a better quality product than what we got with Color Classics.

myconius
02-14-2017, 07:17 AM
Yeah, if the Image reprints turn out to have the same quality the Color Classics did, I'm sure it'll piss off a lot of people. We've been waiting a long time for these reprints, we deserve a better quality product than what we got with Color Classics.

as poorly as the coloring was done for the 'color classics' they'd have been better off just re-printing them in their original B&W.