PDA

View Full Version : Make America Racist Again?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 11:10 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/23/make-america-white-again-a-politicians-billboard-ignites-uproar/

I'd seen that picture a few days ago but just assumed it was a photoshop job. Turns out it's actually real!?

Unbelievable. I guess Donald Trump really is an inspiration to some people.

Bry
06-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Rick Tyler, who is running for the 3rd Congressional District in the northeastern part of the state, said he put up the billboard alongside Highway 411 in Polk County to make a point that "the 'Leave It to Beaver,' 'Ozzie and Harriet,' 'Mayberry' America of old was vastly superior to what we are experiencing today."

So it's "Make America Fictional Again"? Because the "good times" he's nostalgic for never really existed.

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 12:05 PM
What do you expect from the southern states of the U.S.? They seem to think we're still in the 1850's.

Its actually amazing how "the south" has never really evolved with the rest of the U.S. There are some exceptions of course. Florida consists of all New York refugees, but other places are so backwards.

Those damn redneck hillbillies living in their trailer parks.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 12:07 PM
So it's "Make America Fictional Again"? Because the "good times" he's nostalgic for never really existed.

The "good times" existed if you were white and male. How many non-whites were on the Andy Griffith Show.

But seriously, was I the only one who saw this and assumed it was a joke? Somebody poking fun at Trump?

TurtleTitan97
06-26-2016, 12:42 PM
It was an America where doors were left unlocked, violent crime was a mere fraction of today's rate of occurrence, there were no car jackings, home invasions, Islamic Mosques or radical Jihadist sleeper cells."

:lol: Is this fool for real???

Jester
06-26-2016, 01:59 PM
What do you expect from the southern states of the U.S.? They seem to think we're still in the 1850's.

Its actually amazing how "the south" has never really evolved with the rest of the U.S. There are some exceptions of course. Florida consists of all New York refugees, but other places are so backwards.

We'll said, you bigoted Yankee...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 03:04 PM
We'll said, you bigoted Yankee...

Carpetbagging Yankee sonofalawyer.

Y'all come south of the Mason-Dixon line and we'll learn ya real good.

'Zat how you think we all sound, Cubed? :tlol:

turtle1237
06-26-2016, 03:28 PM
The 1950's had there own problems. Don't trust the perfect world that leave it to Beaver portray.

High tax rate, 90 percent.
Cold war scare. Commie spies stealing America secrets.
Of course you never knew if your friend could be working for the Russians.
The Korea War lasted 3 years. Than China backing up the north.
It was not all happy and smiles. A bit of fear. Oh yeah Russia got the bomb.

Start of the civil rights movement late 50's.

snake
06-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Yay politics on the drome I wonder how this thread will turn out

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 04:16 PM
The funniest part of it all is crime and murder was probably far worse back then, there was just no internet or TV to let people know on a daily basis like they do now how many people got killed or robbed each day.

We hear about deaths all the time but that's because we're on the internet and everything is reported. People in the 50's and 60's didn't have that so besides what they saw on the news "ignorance is bliss."

Mayhem
06-26-2016, 04:34 PM
The funniest part of it all is crime and murder was probably far worse back then, there was just no internet or TV to let people know on a daily basis like they do now how many people got killed or robbed each day.
Part of this is true in a way. People think more murder, rape, child abuse etc goes on today than in the past, when the truth is, generally it's been going down the last 10-15 years, just people have more access to hear about it happening more often.

Spike Spiegel
06-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Part of this is true in a way. People think more murder, rape, child abuse etc goes on today than in the past, when the truth is, generally it's been going down the last 10-15 years, just people have more access to hear about it happening more often.

It's like a Satanic Panic redux.

Electric
06-26-2016, 05:52 PM

Im Electric from the north, and I do not approve this message.

Cubed, lol. The South and North have evolved just fine. Northern states still have plenty of areas that are "redneck hillbillies living in their trailer parks" while southern states have PLENTY of areas that are not.

If I had more time I would find some facts/stats/articles to prove your statement wrong in many ways, but I do not, so Ill just claim you are wrong with the blatant evidence that you are you.

IndigoErth
06-26-2016, 06:49 PM
Florida consists of all New York refugees
Wait, but if the north is better, what are they refugees of?

While I'd be siding with the north should we break out another civil war, backwards people exist all over.

I'll never understand how in this day and age someone - esp someone running for office - could think that was somehow okay. If that doesn't automatically set a clear NO with voters, the U.S. just needs to give up, all hope is lost.

Powder
06-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Wait, but if the north is better, what are they refugees of?

Property taxes. :tlol:

IndigoErth
06-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Good point. lol

Mayhem
06-27-2016, 03:01 AM
Probably horribly wrong to ask, but it is something I'd noticed as well... is like Florida where New Yorkers go to die or something? Why?

Electric
06-27-2016, 03:18 AM
my answers just from personal knowledge, but Floridas sunny weather, tropical feel, and expanse of beaches offers a nice contrast to the mostly inland, colder/snowier areas up in states like New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and alot of the Northeast and Midwest. So, when people get a chance to move from these states (like for retirement) they naturally pick the opposite of the area theyve been living in

Powder
06-27-2016, 03:50 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's cheaper, warmer, not entirely unlike NY culturally.

Katie
06-27-2016, 06:10 AM
I think Florida is like 2 states. From Orlando south, its like New York. Everywhere else, Florida is like most of the rest of the South.

Also, as much as everyone likes to bash the South for racism, I'd like to point out that yesterday's headline making skinhead rally was in Sacramento.

snake
06-27-2016, 10:34 AM
I think Florida is like 2 states. From Orlando south, its like New York. Everywhere else, Florida is like most of the rest of the South.

Also, as much as everyone likes to bash the South for racism, I'd like to point out that yesterday's headline making skinhead rally was in Sacramento.
This.
Everywhere has racism. It's not just contained to "da ebul south".

IndigoErth
06-27-2016, 10:56 AM
No snow in Florida (normally), so no chance to fall and break a hip on snow and ice if you're old. Nor have to deal with it otherwise. Last stop on the east coast, farthest you can get. Even Georgia has seen a little snow in recent winters, it's no longer south enough. lol

Think some just temporarily stay through the winter then return home up north. An aunt and uncle of mine did that this past winter; went down with a nice RV they bought. Wouldn't mind doing that.

The Deadman
06-27-2016, 10:57 AM
No snow in Florida (normally), so no chance to fall and break a hip on snow and ice if you're old. Last stop on the east coast, farthest you can get. Even Georgia has seen a little snow in recent winters, it's no longer south enough. lol

It snows in Florida, but its never cold enough to stick on the ground.

plastroncafe
06-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Reporting in from Boston, the city famous for its Molasses Flood (made possible by racism) and it's Busing Riots (also made possible by racism).

No one place in the US has a patent on racism, but how that racism exists in the public consciousness is different. Here in the Northeast we're very VERY quiet about it. So much so that it becomes really easy to pretend it doesn't exist at all, so long as you're white.

Netkeeper
06-27-2016, 11:30 AM
And where I live everyone is still stuck in the past and 80 years old.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2016, 11:32 AM
And where I live everyone is still stuck in the past and 80 years old.

Get off their lawns.

Netkeeper
06-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Get off their lawns.
I do, I stay in the house. I'm not about to piss off no old people.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2016, 11:40 AM
I do, I stay in the house. I'm not about to piss off no old people.

You can, at least, outrun them.

Netkeeper
06-27-2016, 02:32 PM
You can, at least, outrun them.
I can outrun the ones with leg and hip problems. I can't outrun my grandmother. She's in her 80's and still strong as ever.

I'm like a person, except half-functional, both physically and mentally :V

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2016, 02:38 PM
I can outrun the ones with leg and hip problems. I can't outrun my grandmother. She's in her 80's and still strong as ever.

I'm like a person, except half-functional, both physically and mentally :V

Now I'm thinking the old people from that one Doctor Who episode. "Amy's Choice."

IndigoErth
06-27-2016, 02:53 PM
:lol:

Don't forget, they tend to carry canes so they have a longer reach than many of us.

It snows in Florida, but its never cold enough to stick on the ground.
Good enough for me, I prefer that kind. :twink: If they want more they can have ours.

Netkeeper
06-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I don't see very many old people with canes around here, actually. It's either a full-on walker or nothing.

Prowler
06-27-2016, 04:25 PM
A country cannot be racist, per se. It's not a living thing. It is the humans that inhabit it that can be racist. :P

At most, I can see someone calling a country like South Africa in the Apartheid times and Nazi Germany "racist countries".

Now people as a whole? Well, all countries have racists. Most people are prejudiced to some degree and tons of people are racist. Just because most people deny vehemently being racist that doesn't mean they're not. In the case of USA; since that is the country this thread is about, it still has racist people and it always will have them, just like any other country in the world. So the theory "once the old generations die out racism will be gone!" does not apply. Even if, let's say for argument sake, that older people tend to be more racist or outspokenly about it than younger ones, you've honestly never met MANY exceptions to that supposed rule?

Papenbrook
06-27-2016, 08:19 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/23/make-america-white-again-a-politicians-billboard-ignites-uproar/

I'd seen that picture a few days ago but just assumed it was a photoshop job. Turns out it's actually real!?

Unbelievable. I guess Donald Trump really is an inspiration to some people.

Racism has always existed in the United States. Maybe even before that.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, I still think that the US is going to split into smaller countries. The vast majority of individuals never change their beliefs/outlooks on other people.

ToTheNines
06-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Racism has always existed in the United States. Maybe even before that..

Yeah.... just maybe.

Prowler
06-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Racism has always existed in the United States. Maybe even before that.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, I still think that the US is going to split into smaller countries. The vast majority of individuals never change their beliefs/outlooks on other people.
It's been around since like forever. It's rooted in human tribal nature.

tmnt transformer
06-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Ya know, I hate it when people accuse Trump of being a racist. First of all, technically, there are no different races in the human kind. There is only one race, which is the human race. Second of all, where is the outrage with the Democrats and their cheating for Hillary Clinton, along with the whole " Without the Mexicans, who will do the jobs Americans don't want to do"?

And Cybercubed, I wish you'd stop blaming "Redneck Hillbillys" and the South for "racism" or other things. I'm a proud Redneck, and I can say that I hate no one.

ToTheNines
06-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Lol, so your defense of Trump solely relies on the fallacy in our usage of the word "race" lolok.

Let me help you then, he's a white supremacist, a bigot, and the least qualified candidate to run for any party in at least the last 100 years.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 09:42 PM
The ironic thing isn't there more non-whites living in the U.S. now than whites?

If you combine black, hispanic, Asian, Indian, Muslim, etc. all together they probably outnumber whites in the U.S. at this point. And what is "white" at this point anyway? You can be an immigrant from a dozen or so European countries and still be considered "white."

The Russian guy who lives next door to me is "white." The Polish guy who works at the bakery is "white." Seriously, white people don't even mean people born in America.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Ya know, I hate it when people accuse Trump of being a racist. First of all, technically, there are no different races in the human kind. There is only one race, which is the human race. Second of all, where is the outrage with the Democrats and their cheating for Hillary Clinton, along with the whole " Without the Mexicans, who will do the jobs Americans don't want to do"?

And Cybercubed, I wish you'd stop blaming "Redneck Hillbillys" and the South for "racism" or other things. I'm a proud Redneck, and I can say that I hate no one.

My thinking exactly. Still, the term is "racist", not "ethnicist."

Where is my outrage against Hillary and the Democrats? I no longer have outrage against run-of-the-mill politicians; mostly just apathy. I have no love or support for Hillary, but she's just another politician with a whole graveyard's worth of skeletons in her closet. Worse than many, better than some.

Whereas Trump is something else entirely; instead of lying and saying nice things, he says the most atrocious things and makes no excuses for his horribleness. And the idiots LOVE him for it. It's apparently the next step down the staircase of dissolution...

Prowler
06-27-2016, 09:58 PM

That is quite some mental gymnastics if I've ever seen it.

Lol, so your defense of Trump solely relies on the fallacy in our usage of the word "race" lolok.

Let me help you then, he's a white supremacist, a bigot, and the least qualified candidate to run for any party in at least the last 100 years.
White supremacist? granted he doesn't like illegal Mexican immigrants, but does he also look down on legal dark skinned Latin Americans? Or Black people? Or Asian people?

The ironic thing isn't there more non-whites living in the U.S. now than whites?

If you combine black, hispanic, Asian, Indian, Muslim, etc. all together they probably outnumber whites in the U.S. at this point. And what is "white" at this point anyway? You can be an immigrant from a dozen or so European countries and still be considered "white."

The Russian guy who lives next door to me is "white." The Polish guy who works at the bakery is "white." Seriously, white people don't even mean people born in America.

There was tension between White people in the USA several decades ago. The Irish and the Italians have been considered second class citizens at some point due to being Catholics in what was meant to be a Protestant nation. Not to mention that until WW2 was over Europe had been pretty much at war with each other most of the time and thus there was a lot of xenophobia and nationalism among different European nations and people. No one cares about that anymore since White Americans basically adopted the American identity above their European one. Thus they became quite "homogeneous". I mean, a 3rd gen German or Greek American probably hasn't even been to his ancestors country, let alone speak its language. So yeah a Russian or a Polish guy who has moved to the USA recently won't feel like he's being treated as a second class citizen. As a White person he'll obviously find more in common with white Americans than with non-White ones.

So yeah, anti-immigration politicians don't view White immigrants as a threat because of such reasons plus cultural proximity and also because Europeans who move to the USA nowadays aren't exactly lowly educated cheap workers. Not to mention they don't immigrate en masse

tmnt transformer
06-27-2016, 10:03 PM

Least qualified? Please. Obama couldn't run a freakin lemonade stand. You are literally saying that a successful business man is less qualified then some loser that no one heard of until he decided to run for president.

@CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy You have to admit, at least he isn't one of the deadbeat establishment Republicans that won't attack the democrats.

Cure
06-27-2016, 10:13 PM
@tothenintys

ToTheNintys. ToTheNintendos.

tmnt transformer
06-27-2016, 10:18 PM
ToTheNintys. ToTheNintendos.
Autocorrect... It's a killer.

snake
06-27-2016, 11:01 PM
I like Trump. The worst thing about his campaign is how the media constantly attacks him and overblows nearly everything he does.

Electric
06-27-2016, 11:02 PM
Least qualified? Please. Obama couldn't run a freakin lemonade stand. You are literally saying that a successful business man is less qualified then some loser that no one heard of until he decided to run for president.

I wouldnt be using the term "successful" as a fact, definitely a relative term. Personally, I think he started at the top (with that small loan of $1 million dollars from daddy) and then went bankrupt, what, 4 times? Not exactly "successful".

Obama, regardless of your personal thoughts, or unsupported "lemonade stand" comment, served on the Senate for 9 years or something like that. Just as many Presidents before him have served in the Senate. Thats what qualifies them in our government, is to, you know, work in the government.

To use your petty comment, think that Trump was given 10 lemonade stands to start out with, and managed to ruin all of them 4 times.

Trump, however, has never worked in government. He has also never provided any sort of reason he is qualified, other than he is a businessman (Government Official and Businessman are generally not synonymous, FYI).
He has also proven to be very emotional and touchy, which is not a good quality for the representative leader of our country. He also has a knack for behaving immaturely, I refer to the time he imitated someone with a mental handicap, and others. He insult many groups of people within our own country, has no regard for those that disagree with them, and frankly has shown to act unprofessionally in front of the country.

This is why he is not qualified. He is in no way a "presidential" person, capable of representing such a vast and diverse country.

I like Trump. The worst thing about his campaign is how the media constantly attacks him and overblows nearly everything he does.

Boohoo. This is how elections have always worked. Its part of the process. The worst part is Trump cant behave himself long enough to catch a break.

Powder
06-27-2016, 11:08 PM

Ditto. So sick of people going on & on about him. He'd get my vote out of spite if elections weren't rigged nonsense.

Prowler
06-27-2016, 11:12 PM
Trump is a dick but the whole "He is the reincarnation of Hitler!" fear mongering comments many people make about him is kinda silly.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Obama is the greatest president we've had in the last 20 years. Maybe more.

Electric
06-27-2016, 11:23 PM
Trump is a dick but the whole "He is the reincarnation of Hitler!" fear mongering comments many people make about him is kinda silly.

So was forcing Obama to show his birth certificate. Silly things happen in campaigns.

Trump and his campaign touch some similarities to how Hitler ran his. Obviously calling his Hitler is ridiculous, but those comments arent just people not liking him so they make something up. There are some similarities.

Powder
06-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Hitler loved dogs & liked to paint. So too do most cartoon makers. Thusly, all kids programming is nazi propaganda.

Etsyturtle2
06-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Obama is the greatest president we've had in the last 20 years. Maybe more.

I ****ing hate you

Electric
06-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Hitler loved dogs & liked to paint. So too do most cartoon makers. Thusly, all kids programming is nazi propaganda.

Nope. Fair attempt to make a jump, but nope. Just one, failed, exaggerated jump.

Again, calling Trump Hitler is dumb and not in any way accurate. But his campaigning style does share similarities to the others.

Now, Powdie, before you immaturely make the same jump again, I am not saying these similarities make him Hitler. Just that a few similarities exist.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 11:38 PM
I ****ing hate you

Obama is a great president. You don't seem to know what a president can and cannot do. Who is better?

Bush? Clinton got lucky. The other Bush? Reagan? C'mon.

Electric
06-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Obama is a great president. You don't seem to know what a president can and cannot do. Who is better?

Bush? Clinton got lucky. The other Bush? Reagan? C'mon.

Woah woah woah. Watch it there with Reagan...

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 11:39 PM
God bless Obama and what he has done for our fine country.

http://www.netanimations.net/Moving-picture-USA-flag-flapping-on-pole-with-name-animated-gif.gif

God bless America. The land of the free.

Papenbrook
06-27-2016, 11:44 PM

Except America isn't free. At all.

On another note, I wonder if the United States will have a second civil war.

Commenter 42
06-27-2016, 11:44 PM
God bless Obama and what he has done for our fine country.

http://www.netanimations.net/Moving-picture-USA-flag-flapping-on-pole-with-name-animated-gif.gif

Up voted.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/eb/de/3a/ebde3a9eccc2d73ba1435ac09368c4a8.jpg

4 more years!!!! 4 more years!!???!!???

IndigoErth
06-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Just peeking in again before lockdown.

I'll, uh, just refrain from commenting on my Trump opinions. lol Not overly impressed with Clinton either.

At this point, if I could figure out how write-ins were supposed to work on the local voting machines (because I've never actually seen that as an available option)... screw it, I'm just doing the Turtles as a write-in. :trazz: Fictional characters have far better sense these days than any politician of any variety.

Powder
06-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Nope. Fair attempt to make a jump, but nope. Just one, failed, exaggerated jump.

Again, calling Trump Hitler is dumb and not in any way accurate. But his campaigning style does share similarities to the others.

Now, Powdie, before you immaturely make the same jump again, I am not saying these similarities make him Hitler. Just that a few similarities exist.

"Powdie" :tlol:

I'm just having fun here. But really you could compare almost anyone to Hitler.

snake
06-27-2016, 11:55 PM
I'm hitler. You're hitler. We're all hitler.

IndigoErth
06-28-2016, 12:14 AM
"I'm Squidward, he's Squidward, we're all Squidward."

No? Just me that thought it? :trazz:

Utrommaniac
06-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Are there anymore Hilters we should be worried about?!

Commenter 42
06-28-2016, 12:23 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/526/035/aff.jpg

Electric
06-28-2016, 12:35 AM
"Powdie" :tlol:

I'm just having fun here. But really you could compare almost anyone to Hitler.

Haha, sorry, was in a "mode" during that post, and the name fit

Powder
06-28-2016, 01:01 AM
Are there anymore Hilters we should be worried about?!

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20080529/300.bay.michael.052908.jpg

ToTheNines
06-28-2016, 06:44 AM
That is quite some mental gymnastics if I've ever seen it.

White supremacist? granted he doesn't like illegal Mexican immigrants, but does he also look down on legal dark skinned Latin Americans? Or Black people? Or Asian people?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83

And either way, just because he's not going on and on about any particular demographic at present, doesn't mean they're not next.

Obama didn't grow up rich. He's super educated. He held political office before running for president. Can't say any of that for Donald.

For that matter, I think I'm going to draft a bill barring anyone who was a reality television star or subject of a comedy central roast from ever being president.

That would protect the American people from Flava Flav, Justin Bieber, Charlie Sheen, Kim Kardashian, Todd Chrisley, The Situation, or any Bachelor/Bachelorette.

Well if it's a left leaning news outlet, that's gonna be any Republican candidate, and vice versa. They're not treating him any differently.

What's more disturbing is the **** he gets away with. Not that I ever took him seriously, but I was DONE with that **** when he made fun of John McCain for being captured and his time as a POW.

I expected everyone else to follow suit, but... ya know...

Papencrackin.... be quiet. Or I'll tell the orderlys you're using the asylum's WiFi.

Ninturtle
06-28-2016, 07:11 AM

I like Trump as an entertainer not a politician, but part of me kinda wants him to be president because of how radical liberals ( I'm a liberal by the way ) would react. It'd be kinda like how extreme conservatives reacted to Obama, except way more whiny ( not to say all of the Trump criticisms will be idiotic because there's quite a bit to critical about).And I too am tired of people calling Trump racist, he's never said anything racist in his campaign just that he wants to deport illegal aliens ( I disagree with him on this but it's not racist or xenophobic to want people who come here illegally to leave ). People need go focus on countering Trumps real points because there's a lot to counter.

plastroncafe
06-28-2016, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't go around trying to support the hill that Trump has never said anything racist during his campaign, because absolutes are really hard to defend.

My issue with Trump is the American taxpayer has already bailed out several of his businesses when he filed for bankruptcy. If he becomes president who's going to bail us out when he does the same thing to the entire government?

It sure as hell won't be the UK, but it would be pretty funny if it were the European Union or China.

I don't like being alarmist , but if you can pay off as much debt as possible before November, it would probably be a really good idea.

Ninturtle
06-28-2016, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't go around trying to support the hill that Trump has never said anything racist during his campaign, because absolutes are really hard to defend.

My issue with Trump is the American taxpayer has already bailed out several of his businesses when he filed for bankruptcy. If he becomes president who's going to bail us out when he does the same thing to the entire government?

It sure as hell won't be the UK, but it would be pretty funny if it were the European Union or China.

I don't like being alarmist , but if you can pay off as much debt as possible before November, it would probably be a really good idea.
His bankruptcy record is something to be weary about.

You have no idea how privileged you are.

plastroncafe
06-28-2016, 11:17 AM
“Until we are all free, we are none of us free. ”
― Emma Lazarus

Commenter 42
06-28-2016, 03:45 PM
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
– Optimus Prime.

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Most of the people who say they hate America wouldn't want to live in any other country of the world either. They make thinly-veiled threats saying, "That's it, I'm moving to Canada!" and then they never do.

snake
06-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Most of the people who say they hate America wouldn't want to live in any other country of the world either. They make thinly-veiled threats saying, "That's it, I'm moving to Canada!" and then they never do.

And then they'll complain about Canada.

Commenter 42
06-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Canada is the decaffeinated version of us.

Mona_Lisa
06-28-2016, 07:38 PM

This is the first time you ever offended me, friend. I'm from the south and proud of it. But I'm not raciest, in fact "most" of the people I know are not raciest.
Also I don't like Donald Trump, I just happen to dislike Hilary more.

This billboard is stupid and disgusting.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-28-2016, 07:52 PM
This is the first time you ever offended me, friend. I'm from the south and proud of it. But I'm not raciest, in fact "most" of the people I know are not raciest.
Also I don't like Donald Trump, I just happen to dislike Hilary more.

This billboard is stupid and disgusting.

The South did lose a war a few years back... it's our own fault if we're still perceived as stereotypically racist.

As a denizen of Texas, let me assure you: many prominent people still fail to improve our public image. When's the last time a Southern state (such as my own) made it into the news and it wasn't super embarrassing?

So yeah, Cubed paints us all with a broad brush. But on the bright side, he's not accusing any of us of making eyes at his bae Melissa!

Powder
06-28-2016, 07:52 PM
As someone who's lived in the south for 8 years, much of it really is backwards & toxic. There are places like that all over the nation, though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-28-2016, 07:58 PM
As someone who's lived in the south for 8 years, much of it really is backwards & toxic. There are places like that all over the nation, though.

Really? I always assumed you were Mideast or one of the east/west coasts...

Powder
06-28-2016, 08:00 PM
I am a New Yorker, born & raised, but I moved south a while back against my will.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-28-2016, 08:10 PM
I am a New Yorker, born & raised, but I moved south a while back against my will.

Ah, got it. I was pretty sure I'd heard NY name-dropped before but couldn't remember.

Welcome to Hell, Yankee. :trazz:

Powder
06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
I'd have a better time in hell, surely.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-28-2016, 08:15 PM
I'd have a better time in hell, surely.

At least we have Mexican food.

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 08:18 PM
I am from New York which is why I don't get racism. There's far more black, spanish, Asian, Indian, etc. people that I see every day than white people. And I'm not kidding.

Plus the neighborhood I live in is all Russian Jews, so I see all different types of people who live around me every day. I mean sure I know there are some racist people in New York too...but I suppose its harder to be racist in places that are more diverse, right?

If you live in an all-white community down south with rare people of color, etc...I can understand it. Even though I'm white myself I much prefer living with a diverse group of people. In fact I think there have been more spanish people in every job I've ever worked than white people.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-28-2016, 08:20 PM
I am from New York which is why I don't get racism. There's far more black, spanish, Asian, Indian, etc. people that I see every day than white people. And I'm not kidding.

Plus the neighborhood I live in is all Russian Jews, so I see all different types of people who live around me every day. I mean sure I know there are some racist people in New York too...but I suppose its harder to be racist in places that are more diverse, right?

If you live in an all-white community down south with rare people of color, etc...I can understand it. Even though I'm white myself I much prefer living with a diverse group of people. In fact I think there have been more spanish people in every job I've ever worked than white people.

But do you have Texmex? Jefferson Davis didn't lead the South with charisma...

Powder
06-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Contrary to Cubed, I saw oodles of racism in NY. I was in a different area than him, but one that was fairly diverse all the same. Hate doesn't need a particular environment to breed like some species of insect. It just grows & flows wherever it pleases.

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 08:25 PM
Well I imagine racist people have to keep their thoughts to themselves or in their close-knit group of friends or family. Here in New York if you are racist in public you'd either get arrested or get yourself a punch in the face or stabbed with a knife or worse.

Powder
06-28-2016, 08:43 PM
You would be surprised. Granted, it was over a decade ago that I saw it in full bloom. Maybe in this post-Tumblr society they do keep it private, but I dunno. My last experience with it was at a party in 2007 or 8 where I was called a race traitor by a wannabe skinhead because my best friend was black. He got clocked with a vodka bottle & chased over a fence. :tlol:

Prowler
06-28-2016, 08:46 PM

A place full of ethnic diversity actually might be a bigger hotbed for racism than a very homogeneous place, since people will be forced to interact with different people and thus might lead to misunderstandings.

Also, doesn't the South have tons of Black people? I doubt there's many areas in the South where you can walk for miles without ever seeing Black people.

And why are Southerners the only people stereotyped as being hicks/rednecks. As if there are no "uneducated rural people" in places like California(a huuuuge state)?

IndigoErth
06-28-2016, 09:32 PM
I dunno though, maybe there is a greater chance of conflict in more diverse areas among some individuals, but at the same time... the more diverse an area is, the more liberal and tolerant it tends to be in comparison. I mean if you live around a diverse bunch of people you end up used to it and for any decent human being those who are "different" aren't all that 'scary' and different anymore. As opposed to people who have far less exposure and less experience interacting with "different" people.

One interesting tidbit of conversation I've had where a little vague racism is concerned was with a coworker at my previous job. Though whites are in the majority around here, black folks are also here in good number, and together far outnumber any other races. There is apparently a growing population of Indian immigrates and the store we worked at got quite a few as shoppers.

It was a little eye opening when my co-worker (an older black woman) and I (a young white woman) were chatting one evening and she quietly commented about the Indian immigrant customers... referring to "people like us" (she and I) as the "regular people" in comparison to the immigrant shoppers.

Totally just bridged both race and generation, putting us together on the same side as the common 'regular people' vs. newbies the locals aren't so used to yet. I didn't offer further comment on that matter, but it was interesting to hear; our own differences just easily disregarded. (But not so much the light prejudice against others part...)

Hopefully someday everyone can be the "regular people."

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Also, doesn't the South have tons of Black people? I doubt there's many areas in the South where you can walk for miles without ever seeing Black people.

And why are Southerners the only people stereotyped as being hicks/rednecks. As if there are no "uneducated rural people" in places like California(a huuuuge state)?

The south has more country and more white Christians. A lot of religious nuts down there as well. Many of them are descendants of people from the Civil War era who owned slave farms and fought back against the North to keep slavery around.

There are some exceptions of course like Florida and so forth, but a lot of poor country folk live down there.

Powder
06-28-2016, 09:55 PM
I get so confused when people quote Prowler. I read it as Powder & then think to myself "I never wrote that!", oh well. :tlol:

Prowler
06-28-2016, 10:04 PM
The south has more country and more white Christians. A lot of religious nuts down there as well. Many of them are descendants of people from the Civil War era who owned slave farms and fought back against the North to keep slavery around.

There are some exceptions of course like Florida and so forth, but a lot of poor country folk live down there.
The funny thing is, judging by some of your posts, one would think you've never met a black or asian person before :P

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Queens and Manhattan where I live/work are filled with all different people. That's why I see so many different races everyday on the subway, when I was in school, in College, at some of my jobs.

In fact most of the time I'm the only white guy. My last job had all black, spanish and indian workers...I was the only white guy there. So to me its normal.

Electric
06-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Cubed, I feel like your stating your personal thoughts and experiences as fact...

New York has plenty of racism to go around, just like any other area...

Also, you keep using Florida as though its the only Southern state thats an exception to specific stereotypes, but its really not... again, if I had more time Id research the racial diversity of each of the southerns states, maybe even reports about racism throughout the US, but I dont think thats needed

Commenter 42
06-29-2016, 01:30 AM
I get hassled most when we're shopping someplace fancy, or if I'm dressed down when I stop at a bodega, (especially at night). Airport security can be fun.

But that's me, My girl gets harassed more in the south, mistaken for Mexican all the time, often called a Latina.

I had a guy ask me to park his car once. Wish I'd had the nerve to take the keys...

Racism is everywhere, it's just subtle in the bigger cities.

CyberCubed
06-29-2016, 01:40 AM
Racism stems from the older 50+ year old crowd brought up in a different society and they bring down their racist teachings to their children who are now the current 30+ year old adults.

The cycle will be broken when kids don't share their parents ideals, which is happening today. Its in the same manner gay's are better accepted now than they were 20-50 years ago.

Thing get better when the old crowd dies off and is replaced by their children. There was a time people thought tattoo's were "the devil" and now its very common among the young folk of today.

Katie
06-29-2016, 06:45 AM

The vast majority of people in the south in the pre civil war times were too poor to own slaves. Its a fallacy and sign of your own poor education / lack of ever travelling outside of New York to think that every white person in the south lived on cotton plantations and owned legions of black slaves.

There were also plenty of union sympathisers. See that new movie, Free State of Jones. Its a true story about a couple of counties in Delta Mississippi. There were tons of incidents like that in Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia too.

I'm beginning to think New Yorkers are all very sheltered and unaware of life outside of their block.

Powder
06-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Hey, Cubed is hardly the guy to represent New Yorkers. Or people, period. Almost everything he says is satire.

Katie
06-29-2016, 09:11 AM
Too late. Cubed is now the stereotype of a New Yorker to me.

More seriously, eta, I find history fascinating and I see alot of parallels to the pre civil war south and today's country as a whole. Then there was a large large divide between the planter class ( rich, haves) and the yeoman farmers and sharecropper farmers. (Poor, have nots).

The Civil War was a lot about states rights and not having the evil government tell you what to do. The planter class tried to negotiate cotton exports with Europe on their own without Washington...and that was frowned upon. Got the rich guys mad. Poor guys were unsatisfied with the balance of power where they lived, ie rich getting richer, not getting ahead, etc.

Rich guys used the intervention of the evil government into their ability to sell to rile the poor guys into believing that the government was holding them back. Anger at the evil government telling us how to live grows. War.

Sounds an awful lot like a Brexit or Trump speech to me.

plastroncafe
06-29-2016, 10:41 AM
With both groups totally okay with black people being worth a fraction of a white person.

Katie
06-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Yep, but its not like the North was thinking they were equal to whites either.

Emancipation happened because Washington was trying to cut off the wealth in the Planter class so that the South couldn't "rise again". No slaves to harvest your crops for free, no accumulating massive wealth. It wasn't really because Lincoln thought it the right thing to do, it was a strategic move.

When the Great migration began, not too many of the freed black folks found Northern communities to have open welcoming arms. Its all good for you guys to be free, but not in my town. Segregation. Not just in the South. See Chicago.

Of course slavery is awful and I'm not defending it, but what we are taught in history is a bit altruistic. No one, North or South thought blacks were equal. The Civil war was not only about slavery with the evil South and rightous North. It was very complex.

The difference now is that the South has been dealing with its racist demons since the end of the Civil War via legislation, media attention, and persisting stereotypes like Cubed espouses. The North swept their racism under the rug and let it fester there.

plastroncafe
06-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Exactly.

And as someone who was raised in the public school system of Yankee New England, I can tell you that no one said a damn thing about Massachusetts' role in the slave trade. I had to learn about that from:

Lies My Teacher Told Me (https://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Teacher-Told-Everything/dp/0684818868/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467217881&sr=8-2&keywords=lies+my+teacher+told+me)

Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 (https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tide-Great-Boston-Molasses/dp/0807050210/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467217913&sr=8-2&keywords=Dark+Tide)

A People's History of the United States (https://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-United-States/dp/0062397346/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467217938&sr=8-1&keywords=people%27s+history+of+the+united+states)

All fantastic books I can't recommend highly enough.
Especially the first one.

Trying to play off NYC as not a racist city due to its diversity is willfully ignoring such policies as "Stop and Frisk," now legitimized this week by the US Supreme Court.

IndigoErth
06-29-2016, 11:50 AM
More seriously, eta, I find history fascinating and I see alot of parallels to the pre civil war south and today's country as a whole. Then there was a large large divide between the planter class ( rich, haves) and the yeoman farmers and sharecropper farmers. (Poor, have nots).

The Civil War was a lot about states rights and not having the evil government tell you what to do. The planter class tried to negotiate cotton exports with Europe on their own without Washington...and that was frowned upon. Got the rich guys mad. Poor guys were unsatisfied with the balance of power where they lived, ie rich getting richer, not getting ahead, etc.

Rich guys used the intervention of the evil government into their ability to sell to rile the poor guys into believing that the government was holding them back. Anger at the evil government telling us how to live grows. War.

Sounds an awful lot like a Brexit or Trump speech to me.
Interesting comparison. Things never really change, do they. Same old story, different medium.

ToTheNines
06-29-2016, 01:38 PM

https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fold/trump-s-trade-policies-would-make-america-recession-bound-again

plastroncafe
06-29-2016, 04:42 PM
https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fold/trump-s-trade-policies-would-make-america-recession-bound-again

Because what we need is another recession.
Man, Clinton wasn't kidding when he said my generation was going to be the first in American History to do worse than their parents.

The Deadman
06-29-2016, 11:46 PM

What the hell did you think "free" meant when that phrase was coined? That you were entitled to free things?

Name one country that isn't a US ally in where you're allowed to freely live there and are free to express your opinions without the fear of being killed.

plastroncafe
06-30-2016, 01:03 AM
Do we have that here?

Pardon my cynicism, it's been a rough Pride this year.

The Deadman
06-30-2016, 05:41 AM
Yeah, we do. The govt isn't arresting or killing anyone for being opposed by the citizens, nor are they sentencing people to death for their beliefs, sexual orientation or anything else of the sort. Go to North Korea or China and tell them their president sucks, you'll be arrested faster than you'll be able to pull a tissue out after you sneeze. Women have to cover up most of their bodies in certain countries. If you're part of the LGBT community and you live in the Middle East, the punishment is death etc.

So yeah, the US is pretty free, when it comes to the govt and stuff like that. Obama isn't sending his minions out just because people are saying he's one of the worst Presidents of all time.

Ninturtle
06-30-2016, 01:10 PM
What the hell did you think "free" meant when that phrase was coined? That you were entitled to free things?

Name one country that isn't a US ally in where you're allowed to freely live there and are free to express your opinions without the fear of being killed.
Ignore her, she's too privileged to understand how much freedom she has.

Electric
06-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Yeah, we do. The govt isn't arresting or killing anyone for being opposed by the citizens, nor are they sentencing people to death for their beliefs, sexual orientation or anything else of the sort. Go to North Korea or China and tell them their president sucks, you'll be arrested faster than you'll be able to pull a tissue out after you sneeze. Women have to cover up most of their bodies in certain countries. If you're part of the LGBT community and you live in the Middle East, the punishment is death etc.

So yeah, the US is pretty free, when it comes to the govt and stuff like that. Obama isn't sending his minions out just because people are saying he's one of the worst Presidents of all time.

I totally agree with this. No country in the world has been or ever will be perfectly free. It can't happen. But if there was a scale of freedom, America would be pretty damn high on it.

Ignore her, she's too privileged to understand how much freedom she has.

Ignore him, he has no idea what's actually being discussed to form a reasonable reply, throwing out the key phrase "privileged" while having no actual idea who Deadman is

Ninturtle
06-30-2016, 01:42 PM
I totally agree with this. No country in the world has been or ever will be perfectly free. It can't happen. But if there was a scale of freedom, America would be pretty damn high on it.

Ignore him, he has no idea what's actually being discussed to form a reasonable reply, throwing out the key phrase "privileged" while having no actual idea who Deadman is

I was talking about Papenbrook not Deadman, and most people who live in the first world are pretty privileged compared to many 3rd world countries. Papen was spoiled in the first world to the point where she doesn't think she has any freedom. I actually agreed with Deadman.

Electric
06-30-2016, 02:27 PM
I was talking about Papenbrook not Deadman, and most people who live in the first world are pretty privileged compared to many 3rd world countries. Papen was spoiled in the first world to the point where she doesn't think she has any freedom. I actually agreed with Deadman.

Most people are in first world. I thought you were arguing against deadmans comment that we are free in the US. My apologies. We're in agreeance

plastroncafe
06-30-2016, 04:31 PM
I've always wondered where the Second World is.

Katie
06-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Second World is Communist countries

plastroncafe
06-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Huh. Thanks!
I never knew that, and for some reason I was never really curious enough to google it.

I can see why the three-world theory has fallen out of favor.