PDA

View Full Version : how to remove odor from a giant turtle

mikey22
06-26-2016, 03:00 PM
I bought a 1987 loose giant raph for $15 at a flea market to complete my 4 giant turtles collection.

when i came home there was a humongous foul odor from the plastic. i have tried soaking it in water. ive tried bath and body works ive tried just about everything.

any ideas??? first time i was ever jewed and screwed at a flea market.

I also let it sit in a plastic bag with a near gallon full of vinegar.

does anyone else have odor from their giant turtles? does the plastic smell because it was in the head all day?

this never ending battle is getting me to just cave and buy another one and just toss this one in the garbage..

Nasubionna
06-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Oh man, that sucks. I have no idea what to do. Hopefully someone here will have some good suggestions for you. Good luck! :tsad:

thundermaster612
06-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Try something absorbent, like you spray it or put it on in some way and then the turtle absorbs it and it rinses the nasty smell remains on the inside?

snake
06-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Damn, jewed AND screwed?!

I hope your asshole is still intact.

TurtlePower85
06-26-2016, 07:17 PM
I would recommend buying several boxes of baking soda, open them up and putting it in a bag with the figure. It worked for my Stretch Armstrong, good luck.

Powder
06-26-2016, 07:31 PM
I doubt it's the plastic itself but rather a consequence of where it was once stored, which usually is a mold-ridden attic or basement. That's a scent you'd be hard-pressed to get rid of, & unfortunately, it may be a lost cause.

mikey22
06-26-2016, 07:38 PM
damn :(

thanks guys!

I guess I need to not only feel for soft head toys at flea markets.. now i need to sniff toys as well. people will really think im a crazy one.

this guy is squeezing toys heads and sniffing them?!?! lol

MikeandRaph87
06-26-2016, 08:17 PM
I would recommend buying several boxes of baking soda, open them up and putting it in a bag with the figure. It worked for my Stretch Armstrong, good luck.

I did that very thing when I bought this:

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/~~UAAOSwFqJWrv-V/s-l225.jpg

It worked for me as well,but why it had this horrific oder when I opened it is beyond my seven year old comprehension twenty years later. The thing is I bought this from a Toys'R Us so its not like it was in a molding environment.

It all else fails then use it as a placeholder and buy another one.

TurtleWA
06-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Maybe try something like these. Kills 99.9% of odor causing bacteria and leaves your Turtle smelling lemon fresh. Link below

http://m.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12463647&gclid=COXbga6Ox80CFZNgfgod3AYLoQ

tmntman
06-27-2016, 08:48 AM
I would start by making sure it is clean. Give it a gentle bath with dish washing liquid. You can use an old toothbrush to get into any cracks or tight spaces.

Once that is done and the figure is dry, if there is still a smell seal the figure in an air tight container with either baking soda as suggested here or kitty litter is supposed to work as well. The figure doesn't need to be submerged in the material, just make sure the air can flow around the figure and absorbent material.